PDA

View Full Version : Malazan Book of the Fallen

Dead Man
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I just started reading this on a whim and because it is highly recommended. Anyone who has read this have an opinion? Preferable if spoilers are marked but I personally don't get too upset I tend to enjoy the journey even knowing a few twists.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I just started reading this on a whim and because it is highly recommended. Anyone who has read this have an opinion? Preferable if spoilers are marked but I personally don't get too upset I tend to enjoy the journey even knowing a few twists.

Author and pics? Maybe a summary as well? Obviously I have not read it, but you have piqued my interest.

WeDealInLead
08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm always tempted to start reading the books but then I see the size of them and decide life is too short.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Moon-Malazan-Book-Fallen/dp/0765348780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375920542&sr=1-1&keywords=malazan+book+of+the+fallen

frik
08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
One of the best fantasy series ever. Up there with Tolkien and (Stephen) Donaldson.
Fortunately, SubPress is doing a great series of limiteds, of which I'm getting both numbered and lettered editions. They have a few copies left of the third book of the series.

Highly recommended!

sk

WeDealInLead
08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Merlin, that's it. They only get bigger though.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Merlin, that's it. They only get bigger though.

LOL I'm sort of "old school" and to me "Tolkien" is "Da Man" in this field. Also, back in the day, I read the living shit out of this genre. My son still complains that I can just not get behind GoT. So, I will give it a pass, but it does look very good.

OchrisO
08-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I've tried reading this series a few times and just can't get into it for some reason. It has everything in a series that I normally enjoy, but it just falls flat somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Ben Staad
08-07-2013, 10:51 PM
I read the first four books and loved books 1 & 2. After that I thought it became kind of tedious but maybe I just became burnt out on the genre. The happens to me sometimes.

Fall of Gilead
10-26-2013, 05:58 PM
One of my favorites. Deadhouse Gates has one of my favorite storylines anywhere. And one of the best characters of the series is introduced in Midnight Tides. There is also three or four books by the co-creator Ian Esselmont which takes place in the same world but does not directly affect SE's series/

Lookwhoitis
04-22-2020, 11:23 PM
I'm surprised that this series doesn't have more fans on a site full of avid readers.

I took the plunge during the lockdown and started the series and have just completed Gardens of the Moon. While the scope was pretty massive and somewhat hard to get my head around, I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the rest of the series.