PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jean
07-17-2013, 06:30 AM
The nominations are closed, and the thread has been renamed accordingly.

The thread itself will be kept for the posterity.

Well, we all seem to be unhappy with Entertainment Weekly's list (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17530-Entertainment-Weekly-s-Top-100-Novels-of-All-Time): there is such a lot of novels we don't see there!

OK, now, Mike (pathoftheturtle) has come up with this great idea: we must make our own list. Let's see what we'll have as a result; it may be both entertaining and useful for everyone, in terms of future reading.

Now it's time for nominating and seconding.

The rules are:

1. Altogether, everyone can nominate as many novels as they can, provided:

1.1. One nomination per post.
1.2. You must wait for at least two nominations by someone else before you can nominate again.

2. Multivolume novels, such as The Dark Tower or Harry Potter, count as one novel.

3. Collections of stories are not eligible.

4. Novellas are not eligible. It isn't always easy to tell a novella from a novel, so we'll have to rely on wiki here. If it is defined as novel there, it is acceptable.

5. You can nominate as many novels of one author as you want, but in the end, only top three novels by any author will be accepted for the final list.

NOW, let's nominate - and don't forget to second!!

You can second as many as you like, in one post or separate posts, doesn't matter. It is crucial for the success of the whole enterprise that we second (third, etc) all novels we consider worthy.

Seconding in this round is tantamount to voting. When we actually vote, the grouping will depend on the number of votes received NOW.

Updated List (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17542-Top-100-Novels-of-All-Time-General-Discussion&p=804514&viewfull=1#post804514)

The awesome future of our final list (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17604-Our-Top-100-to-Stay-in-History!!!&p=798825#post798825).

Jean
07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Nominated: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

mae
07-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Nominated: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

Seconded. Lolita nominated.

RainInSpain
07-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Seconded.
Nominating: The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov

mae
07-17-2013, 06:44 AM
And are we then voting to somehow rank these? Because I was thinking this coming January or so we should launch our Constant Reader Awards.

Jean
07-17-2013, 06:44 AM
guys, please make it clear what exactly you're seconding!

Marina: so, you're seconding Lolita, not Mockingbird?

Jean
07-17-2013, 06:45 AM
And are we then voting to somehow rank these?

Yes, but first we'll look at the number of secondings. That's why I need them very clear.

because I was thinking this January or so we should launch our Constant Reader Awards.
Right. I think we'll just have the time - I am planning to have the 100 list by Xmas

RainInSpain
07-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Sorry for the confusion.
As a matter of fact, I will second them both - To Kill A Mockingbird and Lolita.

pathoftheturtle
07-17-2013, 08:14 AM
The Castle Franz Kafka

Fourth Lolita and To Kill A Mockingbird.

I'm afraid I've never read The Master and Margarita.

I don't think 100 is going to be enough.
But I guess that this is what makes it exciting.

fernandito
07-17-2013, 08:37 AM
1984 - George Orwell.

dnemec
07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
1984 - George Orwell.

Second 1984.

Can you nominate and second at the same time? If so, I nominate Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

mae
07-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Seconding 1984 and 451. Nominating Updike's Rabbit series.

fernandito
07-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Nominating Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

jhanic
07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Seconding Of Mice and Men and thirding (or whatever) To Kill a Mockingbird.

John

Dan
07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. I loved this novel; need to read it again.

pathoftheturtle
07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Frankenstein Mary Shelley

Jean
07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Can you nominate and second at the same time?
Yes.

I second The Castle by Kafka

and nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Twain.

Jean
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
what we have so far:

To Kill a Mockingbird + 4
Lolita + 3
The Master and Margarita + 0
The Castle + 1
1984 +2
Fahrenheit 451 +1
Rabbit Series + 0
Of Mice and Men + 1
The Catcher in the Rye + 0
Frankenstein + 0
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 0

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
I nominate The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mattrick
07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
I second Farenheit 451 and Of Mice and Men and The Catcher In The Rye (super seconded lol)

I nominate Candide by Voltaire

mattgreenbean
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I nominate The Thief of Always: Clive Barker. Not his absolute best, but his most accessible while still being pure Barker.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Can't believe thast I will be the first to do this but I nominate....

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

Also, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty and Ghost Story, by Peter Straub

Dan
07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I would 2nd some of these, but I just haven't read them. I would like to throw out nomination for Dracula by Bram Stoker. Yes it's a classic, yes it is good.

Dan
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Can't believe thast I will be the first to do this but I nominate....

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

Also, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty and Ghost Story, by Peter Straub

Well you beat me. I will 2nd Dracula, The Exorcist, Ghost Story, and Dark Tower series. I've read and greatly enjoyed all of these.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Just a random thought, but whomever is running this show should contact RF and some of the other literary members of this site and see if there is not some way that a final TDT.Org list could find its way into print.

It would make for grand publicity and maximum fun.

I'll be happy to "Ratify" this the next time I am "Director for a day"!!! LOL LOL

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
I nominate The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Where's the love????????

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I nominate The Thief of Always: Clive Barker. Not his absolute best, but his most accessible while still being pure Barker.

I second that.

Edit: You know what? In light of "Mattrick's" later post strike that second. If Clive Barker should crack a top 100 list it would not be the thief of always. My bad folks!!

Mattrick
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Thief of Always is great but can't second it for 100 greatest of all time.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is my next nomination.

becca69
07-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I second LOTR. I nominate The Stranger by Albert Camus.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Thief of Always is great but can't second it for 100 greatest of all time.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is my next nomination.

Very good point, Matts. I amended my post accordingly. Apologies to Mr. Greenbean.

I nominate "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (Entire series)

pathoftheturtle
07-17-2013, 02:05 PM
The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger.

Bill, you cheated. Dracula goes to Dan; you could nom. The Exorcist once someone goes after me, then after two more, Ghost Story. I'd love to do a big batch at once, but look at the rules in the original post.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 02:15 PM
The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger.

Bill, you cheated. Dracula goes to Dan; you could nom. The Exorcist once someone goes after me, then after two more, Ghost Story. I'd love to do a big batch at once, but look at the rules in the original post.

How did I cheat? My post was at 2:49 and Dan's at 2:50. Regardless, as long as Dracula makes the list that is all that is important.

I'll second, The Haunting of Hill House Shirley Jackson

Edit: OK I see what you mean Mike. However, the rules be damned to a degree IMHO I was caught up in the excitement and that should be a concern for this thread in order to maintain relevance and popularity, no?

Plus, I am old and feeble and I was a "Director" for two whole days!!! LOL

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOL

Stebbins
07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I second To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Dark Tower.

And I nominate Lord Of The Flies.

Merlin1958
07-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I second To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Dark Tower.

And I nominate Lord Of The Flies.

Seconded!!!

Dan
07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
There MUST be a Richard Matheson novel included since he was one of the greatest writers. I nominate I Am Legend, being his greatest and most well know novel. Although some of his short stories are just a good, if not better.

dnemec
07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
My votes for To Kill a Mockinbird, Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Scarlet Letter.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
First I want to +1 all of the following:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lolita
Farenheit 541
Of Mice and Men
Frankenstein
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Lord of the Rings
The Dark Tower
Dracula
A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Lord of the Flies
I am Legend.

Then I would like to nominate Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Lost Rose
07-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I got lost..I was going to add Catcher in the Rye...I'm for all but...Master&Margarita, Castle and the Rabbit Series...haven't heard of them...How about King's Row...

Mattrick
07-17-2013, 06:59 PM
How long do we have? Many of these books are sitting on my shelf and I haven't read them....and I just got eight more books....it's a terrible problem. I'd like to read a few more before all is said an done.

There are so many I could nominate....I'll have to nominate a Dostoevsky but I think I'll wait for Bears to possibly choose one and maybe Jane Eyre so I don't have to.

I nominate: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Shannon
07-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Not quite sure of what we're up to, but I second/third/quadrillionth the following three "titles" ...

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

1984, George Orwell

The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King

... and nominate Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-17-2013, 10:34 PM
second Interview. Nominate One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I guess this list will be devoid of Poe. Shame

Jean
07-17-2013, 11:56 PM
bears second:

The Dark Tower
Candide
The Exorcist
The Haunting of Hill House

and nominate:

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte (thank you Mattrick, I really really wanted to nominate it myself!)

Mattrick: nominate as many as you want, only keep it in your mind that there must be at least two someone else's nominations between yours.

Answering the important question: the nominations will go on till at least mid-August.

And guys, please, don't forget to second!!! It' absolutely crucial!!!!!

to make it easier, I'll post the updates tonight. Will try to do so at least twice a day in the future.

pathoftheturtle
07-18-2013, 04:29 AM
... the rules be damned to a degree IMHO ...

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOLLooks like you convinced Jean. Everybody start making up reasons why you, too, should be granted license to go over.

... I was caught up in the excitement ...Seriously, though, I'm sorry: maybe "cheated" was not the right word. I was thinking about seconding one of your later noms when I realized that you broke the rules. It's easy to see how that could happen, and I never thought there was bad intent. Plus, you've got pretty good taste in literature.

David Copperfield Charles Dickens

Second Lord of the Flies and Cuckoo's Nest.

RainInSpain
07-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Votes for
The Dark Tower,
The Scarlett Letter,
Lord Of The Flies,
Catcher In The Rye,
Huckleberry Finn,
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest,
Wuthering Heights,
Jane Eyre.

Nominating The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

RainInSpain
07-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Oh, I forgot to cast my vote for Fahrenheit 451.

Dan
07-18-2013, 05:29 AM
2nd David Copperfield. I was going to do this one also. This shows the best of Dickens.

mae
07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Seconding Catcher in the Rye. Sorry, can't second The Dark Tower. If King's gonna make it, it has to be something else, DT is too niche. Wasn't a huge fan of the two big ones, The Stand and It. I'd go with The Green Mile or Pet Sematary. Hard to say.

Nominating The Count of Monte Cristo.

pathoftheturtle
07-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Dickens and King are unusually difficult authors to pick a best novel from. This raises all the thorny questions of best vs. top vs. greatest vs. favorite, and so on. Do you trust what you feel or try to make more objective recommendations? Really, TDT is not as self-contained as It or The Stand. It's funny to think of it, but those are relatively short books. And great, of course. Deep. I hope it won't take up too much attention here -- we already have a cool regular contest on that subject. Probably David Copperfield also is not Dickens' greatest. But I just so much wanted to nominate it here. *shrug*

Heather19
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
I'll add a point to Jane Eyre, Lord of the Flies, and Wuthering Heights.

And my first nomination will of course be IT by Stephen King.

Ricky
07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
I second To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984...

and nominate Psycho by Robert Bloch.

mae
07-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Seconding Psycho and nominating American Psycho :)

becca69
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Second Huckleberry Finn, The Dark Tower, The Stranger..

Thank you... The Stranger needs more love ;)

And I second Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, 1984, 451, Frankenstein, Candide, Dracula, The Exorcist, Ghost Story, The Scarlet Letter, Hitchhikers Guide, Haunting of Hill House, Lord of the Flies, Psycho

I would nominate Poe but his stories don't fall under the Novel category :(
So I nominate The Stand - SK

DoctorZaius
07-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I hereby nominate Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. An amazing tale of a family of circus freaks. The mother in the family intentionally injects drugs into her womb during pregnancy to continue the family tradition freaks. A finalist for the national book award! Read it and you will never forget Artie, the fish boy, who generates a legion of cult followers who cut off their own hands and feet in effigy, and Chick who powers I'd rather not go into. If you have not read this you are missing a triply-treat!
Other genre faves:
Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons
Hyperion (1&2) - Dan Simmons
Clive Barker - Imajica
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
Good Omens or American Gods - Neil Gaiman (the first with Terry Pratchet)
The Stand, IT, Salem's Lot, and The Shining - by King favorites

I may post some fore literate titles later - the genre stuff is always at the forefront of my mind.

Jean
07-18-2013, 10:58 AM
bears second

David Copperfield
The Count of Monte Cristo
It
The Stand

and nominate

The Terror, by Dan Simmons

Jean
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Dickens and King are unusually difficult authors to pick a best novel from. This raises all the thorny questions of best vs. top vs. greatest vs. favorite, and so on. Do you trust what you feel or try to make more objective recommendations? Really, TDT is not as self-contained as It or The Stand. It's funny to think of it, but those are relatively short books. And great, of course. Deep. I hope it won't take up too much attention here -- we already have a cool regular contest on that subject. Probably David Copperfield also is not Dickens' greatest. But I just so much wanted to nominate it here. *shrug*Very true, all of the above

Sorry, I got lost..I was going to add Catcher in the Rye...I'm for all but...Master&Margarita, Castle and the Rabbit Series...haven't heard of them...How about King's Row...
sorry love, didn't quite get it - are you seconding Catcher?

Jean
07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
UPDATES:

To Kill a Mockingbird + 9
Lolita + 4
The Castle + 1
1984 +6
Fahrenheit 451 +5
Rabbit Series + 0
Of Mice and Men + 3
The Catcher in the Rye + 3
Frankenstein + 2
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3
Lord of the Rings +2
Candide +2
The Thief of Always +
The Dark Tower +7
Dracula +4
The Exorcist +3
Ghost Story +2
The Scarlet Letter +3
The Stranger +1
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2
The Haunting of Hill House +3
Lord Of The Flies +6
I Am Legend +1
Journey to the Center of the Earth +
Wuthering Heights +2
Interview With The Vampire +2
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2
Jane Eyre +2
David Copperfield +2
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress +0
The Count of Monte Cristo +1
It +1
Psycho +2
American Psycho +0
The Stand +1
Geek Love +0
The Terror +0

Jean
07-18-2013, 11:26 AM
I hereby nominate Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. An amazing tale of a family of circus freaks. The mother in the family intentionally injects drugs into her womb during pregnancy to continue the family tradition freaks. A finalist for the national book award! Read it and you will never forget Artie, the fish boy, who generates a legion of cult followers who cut off their own hands and feet in effigy, and Chick who powers I'd rather not go into. If you have not read this you are missing a triply-treat!
Other genre faves:
Clive Barker - Imajica

I may post some fore literate titles later - the genre stuff is always at the forefront of my mind.I counted your nomination in, but I can't quite see what you are seconding. Can I count The Exorcist, The Stand and It as seconded?

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 11:29 AM
If I am reading this right, If I second these two...

David Copperfield+

(Which I do) then everything nominated so far has been seconded at least once with the exception of

Jane Eyre +
Wuthering Heights +

correct? Sorry I cannot second those two did not care for either one.

Now are the "+" numbers going to eventually count for something? Or can we just be happy that a nominated book was seconded and leave it at that for now?

Edit: Missed this one, but I have already explained myself.

The Thief of Always +

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Other genre faves:
Clive Barker - Imajica

I may post some fore literate titles later - the genre stuff is always at the forefront of my mind.I counted your nomination in, but I can't quite see what you are seconding. Can I count The Exorcist, The Stand and It as seconded?

Well, now I see why you guys set up rules!!! LOL LOL I will, from here on in promise to stick as closely to them as I can. Please feel free to bitch slap me if I should stray!!! LOL LOL

Jean
07-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOLLooks like you convinced Jean.

Well, no, but I just got as carried away as Bill did, so I counted all of his nominations in, and then it was too late to go back...

Please guys, follow the rules, ok?

David Copperfield+

(Which I do) then everything nominated so far has been seconded at least once with the exception of

Jane Eyre +
Wuthering Heights +

Now are the "+" numbers going to eventually count for something? Or can we just be happy that a nominated book was seconded and leave it at that for now?

You looked at the post before I edited it (when I post something as important as this, I post it before it is ready, and then continue editing. I am using my laptop, and the touchpad threatens to delete all my calculations if I make the wrong move).

When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list. Since there's going to be many books with similar figures (I can't now predict how many), there will be a few voting rounds, but the grouping will depend on these numbers.

So please, friends, have a look at the updated list (my post #57) and think what you've forgotten to second.

RainInSpain
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Voting for Journey To the Center Of the Earth and The Count Of Monte Cristo.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Also, I don't run the show's, I just hype them!!! LOL LOLLooks like you convinced Jean.

Well, no, but I just got as carried away as Bill did, so I counted all of his nominations in, and then it was too late to go back...

Please guys, follow the rules, ok?

David Copperfield+

Jane Eyre +
Wuthering Heights +

You looked at the post before I edited it (when I post something as important as this, I post it before it is ready, and then continue editing. I am using my laptop, and the touchpad threatens to delete all my calculations if I make the wrong move).

When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list. Since there's going to be many books with similar figures (I can't now predict how many), there will be a few voting rounds, but the grouping will depend on these numbers.

So please, friends, have a look at the updated list (my post #57) and think what you've forgotten to second.

I'm with ya, Jean. You now have my solemn pledge to henceforth behave!!! This must be a nightmare to control/update from what I can see. Hence the need to follow the rules closely. Maybe we should utilize a "cut & Paste of the updated list and use "Bold" to highlight new nominations and seconds?

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 11:49 AM
So, I believe I am eligible to nominate another book so....

Lolita + 4
The Castle + 1
1984 +6
Fahrenheit 451 +5
Rabbit Series + 0
Of Mice and Men + 3 +1
The Catcher in the Rye + 3 +1
Frankenstein + 2
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3 +1
Lord of the Rings +2
Candide +2
The Thief of Always +
The Dark Tower +7
Dracula +4
The Exorcist +3
Ghost Story +2
The Scarlet Letter +3
The Stranger +1
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2
Lord Of The Flies +6 +1
I Am Legend +1
Wuthering Heights +2
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2 +1
Jane Eyre +2
David Copperfield +2
It +1 +1
Psycho +2
American Psycho +0
The Stand +1 +1
Geek Love +0
The Terror +0
Battlefield Earth +0

Does that work better for ya or no?

Jean
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I will try to find some ways of enhancing the presentation of list when it gets out of control (pretty soon, I presume). I am thinking of table form, only got to figure out how to do it here.

EDITED: WOW!!! What you've done is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Wish everyone else would do the same!! Yeah right, highlight your secondings so I know what is going on.

ETA: Unfortunately, it will only work if everyone, without any exceptions, follows this format.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
If it works better for ya then add it to the rules. I edited my last post to include "seconds".

RainInSpain
07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
I like Bill's suggestion, but: people posting (almost) simultaneously will create multiple branches of the list (happened many times on another board, even with much shorter lists and fewer participants).

In the meantime, I'll use the existing format to nominate The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (was sorely tempted to nominate something involving Sherlock Holmes, but I know those a just stories).

RainInSpain
07-18-2013, 12:10 PM
glitch

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
I second.....

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

cit74
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
So, I believe I am eligible to nominate another book so....

Lolita + 4
The Castle + 1
1984 +6
Fahrenheit 451 +5
Rabbit Series + 0
Of Mice and Men + 3 +1
The Catcher in the Rye + 3 +1
Frankenstein + 2
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 3 +1
Lord of the Rings +2 +1
Candide +2
The Thief of Always +
The Dark Tower +7
Dracula +4
The Exorcist +3
Ghost Story +2 +1
The Scarlet Letter +3
The Stranger +1
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy +2 +1 +1
Lord Of The Flies +6 +1 +1
I Am Legend +1
Wuthering Heights +2
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +2 +1
Jane Eyre +2
David Copperfield +2
It +1 +1
Psycho +2
American Psycho +0
The Stand +1 +1 +1
Geek Love +0
The Terror +0
Battlefield Earth +0

Does that work better for ya or no?

I added mine in RED - not sure how that would screw it up - and I would second Good Omens - saw it mentioned above - but not on list yet

Heather19
07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
and nominate

The Terror, by Dan Simmons

Yes :huglove: This was going to be my next nomination. I'll second it.

And I'll nominate Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

pathoftheturtle
07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
2nd It.

Dan
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Add one to IT and Terror and nominate Catch-22

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Second "Catch 22"

mae
07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
The Andromeda Strain nominated.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
The Andromeda Strain nominated.

And seconded!!!

Great to see you made it over here, Pablo!!!

Shannon
07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
May I nominate The Sandman graphic novel series? It appeared on the New York Times Best Sellers list.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 05:00 PM
May I nominate The Sandman graphic novel series? It appeared on the New York Times Best Sellers list.

Not sure if "Graphic Novels" qualify? They may, I suppose. Need a ruling here!! LOL

Ricky
07-18-2013, 05:02 PM
If short story collections and novellas don't qualify, I don't understand why graphic novels would. Someone else may have a different opinion though.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 05:03 PM
If short story collections and novellas don't qualify, I don't understand why graphic novels would. Someone else may have a different opinion though.

I would agree, but also encourage, Shannon to resubmit!!!

Mattrick
07-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I second Jane Eyre.

I nominate The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 05:22 PM
I second Jane Eyre.

I nominate The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Have you read it, Matts?

Mattrick
07-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Which one?

mae
07-18-2013, 10:35 PM
With 1984 on the list, how about Brave New World and We?

Jean
07-19-2013, 03:02 AM
bears second:

Northanger Abbey :rose:
Catch-22 (was going to be my next nomination)
The Andromeda Strain (YES!!! YES!!!!!!)

Graphic novels do not qualify

pablo: which of these two anti-utopias are you nominating?

RainInSpain
07-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Voting for Northanger Abbey and Catch-22.

With 1984 on the list, how about Brave New World and We?

Whichever pablo chooses, I nominate the other one - they both deserve it.

EDIT: Can't remember if I voted for 1984 - if I didn't, I hereby correct than omission.

mae
07-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Both :unsure:

Heather19
07-19-2013, 06:16 AM
I'll second Turn of the Screw and Andromeda Strain.

And I'd like to nominate Fight Club.

mae
07-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Fight Club seconded

becca69
07-19-2013, 06:20 AM
I will second Fight Club and would like to nominate The Outsiders.

pathoftheturtle
07-19-2013, 06:22 AM
When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list.So you're saying that once 100 novels have been nominated and seconded at least one time, that will be all? No add/drop after that point? <_<

Slaughterhouse-Five Kurt Vonnegut

mae
07-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Seconded.

Portnoy's Complaint nominated.

Jean
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
When we've finished the nominations, we'll look at the + numbers. That is why the seconding is, as I said before, so important: seconding, you already assign a book a place on the top 100 list.So you're saying that once 100 novels have been nominated and seconded at least one time, that will be all? No add/drop after that point? <_<

No. I want to have more than 100 nominations. I want to see some battles. We'll nominate till we run dry.

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I second Slaughterhouse Five

I nominate Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Ricky
07-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I subtract 500 nominations from Brave New World. :lol:

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
I nominate "Jaws" by Peter Benchley

Odetta
07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I second 1984, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, LOTR, The Stand, and I thought someone nominated Imajica (Barker) though I don't see it on the list.

I nominate The Road

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Merlin which novel were you asking if I'd read.

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Merlin which novel were you asking if I'd read.

Either, you intimated that you had quite a few novels that you were meaning to read and I was just wondering if you, in fact had. That's all. No big deal. You're obviously a prolific reader.

DoctorZaius
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Here is my list of nominations, minus the three already counted. If any have been added since, then please add them as seconds, etc. C'mmon people, someone please second Geek Love - gotta read this!

Clive Barker - Imajica

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 03:31 PM
One at a time Zaius

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 03:33 PM
One at a time Zaius

I have to agree having been chastised (well deserved), but I will second this nomination for you.

pathoftheturtle
07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Second Turn of the Screw, Catch-22.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Robert Louis Stevenson

DoctorZaius
07-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Here are some of my more literary nominations:
Black Water - Joyce Carol Oates ( Kennedy's Chappaquiddick tale told from the young girl's point of view while drowning)
The Grotesque - by Patrick McGrath (tale told from the perspective of a paralyzed, vegetative, perhaps insane, narrator)
This Book Will Save Your Life - by A. M. Homes (Stephen King recommended this a few years back much to my delight)
The Road and No Country for Old Men - both by Cormac McCarthy
Earth Abides - by George R. Stewart (wonderful humanistic novel that won the first World Fantasy Award)
Their Eyes Were Watching God - by Zora Neale Hurston
The Age of Innocence - by Edith Wharton
The Maltese Falcon - by Dashielle Hammett
The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye - both by Raymond Chandler
Mystic River - by Dennis Lehane
Battle Royale - by Koushun Takami (not the graphic novel version!)

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 03:35 PM

I can second that one!!!

DoctorZaius
07-19-2013, 03:36 PM
SORRY! I was typing the other one. I will follow the rules!

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Am I within the rule to nominate:

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson?

pathoftheturtle
07-19-2013, 03:41 PM

You will be if Dr. Zaius picks one to nom first.

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 03:43 PM

You will be if Dr. Zaius picks one to nom first.

OK, I'm being a "good boy" from here on in!!!! LOL

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Ill reference many of these nominations on what to choose to read. I hope I will have the time. I suggest we cap around 4-500 nominations to help filter through. I imagine well have a lot of novels with only a couple seconds battling it out to make the hundred we vote for placment on. I'll be reading five or more books at the cottage in a few weeks. A lot of these nominations have been books I've bought in the past year and haven't gotten to yet...want to second as many as I can.

pathoftheturtle
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
OK, I'm being a "good boy" from here on in!!!! LOLOkay; actually, if your vote for Silence of the Lambs counts as a second rather than a proper nomination, then I guess you can nom Treasure Island now.
And I'd like to nominate Fight Club.

I will second Fight Club and would like to nominate The Outsiders.

Seconded.

Portnoy's Complaint nominated.

I second Slaughterhouse Five

I nominate Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

I nominate The Road

The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris(+1 from Merlin.)

None of Zaius's others count until he or someone else renominates them. Please, no one else try to second any from the earlier posts and throw off the sequence again.

Zaius, if you're still online now, you could go ahead and nominate one, since two people have nominated since the first one that's been counted from you. Or anybody else could go, except me (until there's one more) or Merlin (until there's two more.) That's how it works.

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
I was seconding "Silence of the Lambs"

Then I nominated "Jaws". Cool?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
+1 to the following:
It
Stand
Turn of the Screw
Brave New World
Fight Club
Outsiders
The Road
Jekyll/Hyde
Treasure Island

Nominate: A Clockwork Orange

Heather19
07-19-2013, 06:45 PM

I just changed my theme to this earlier today :) Sadly I've never read the book though. I'm guessing I should?

Odetta
07-19-2013, 07:56 PM
I nominate Charlotte's Web

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 07:57 PM

I just changed my theme to this earlier today :) Sadly I've never read the book though. I'm guessing I should?

But of course!!!! Better than the movie, believe it or not!!! For shame!!!

Remarkable how many folks nominate a book without having read it!!!

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I second A Clockwork Orange

Believe Im eligible to nominate so I'll nominate: East of Eden by John Steinbeck

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Second Charlottes Web. One of the best novels to instill a love of reading.

RainInSpain
07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Seconding: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Treasure Island, A Clockwork Orange.

Nominating: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

Lurker
07-19-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm a little confused on the seconding - even if it's already been seconded do it again? As kind of a vote?

I nominate The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse.

Mattrick
07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Less seconds equals possible elimination from list

Jean
07-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Here is my list of nominations, minus the three already counted. If any have been added since, then please add them as seconds, etc. C'mmon people, someone please second Geek Love - gotta read this!

Clive Barker - Imajica

LOL, no, please, don't make it harder for me. The rules are made for fun, but also for consistence.

Go through the existing list. Nominate one novel that isn't already there. Explicitly second as many as you want.

I have to disregard this post of yours because it does not comply with the rules.

Jean
07-19-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm a little confused on the seconding - even if it's already been seconded do it again? As kind of a vote?

PRECISELY. That's the point. I'll make it clearer in the starter post.

RainInSpain
07-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Seconding The Glass Bead Game.

mae
07-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Seconding Clockwork Orange, East of Eden and No Country for Old Men.

Nominating The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

pathoftheturtle
07-20-2013, 02:25 AM
I was seconding "Silence of the Lambs"

Then I nominated "Jaws". Cool?If he said, "Oh, ok, I can only do one, I think it should be Silence of the Lambs." then it would be totally cool for you to second it. But it was a little rude to make that choice for him without using your own turn. If a second person seconded a second book from the same post without using a turn of theirs to nominate it, then it would be just as though they had both been nominated by him, which is against the rules, so you basically forced him to use his nomination the way you wanted.

Kim Rudyard Kipling

Second Charlotte's Web, War and Peace, The Glass Bead Game

mae
07-20-2013, 02:29 AM
The Glass Bead Game also seconded

Jean
07-20-2013, 04:00 AM
EDIT: Can't remember if I voted for 1984 - if I didn't, I hereby correct than omission.Oh no, please don't do it to me! Go through your posts here and see if you have already seconded it.

(well, of course, if you can't, bears will do it for you, love... :rose:)

Jean
07-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Here are some of my more literary nominations:
Black Water - Joyce Carol Oates ( Kennedy's Chappaquiddick tale told from the young girl's point of view while drowning)
The Grotesque - by Patrick McGrath (tale told from the perspective of a paralyzed, vegetative, perhaps insane, narrator)
This Book Will Save Your Life - by A. M. Homes (Stephen King recommended this a few years back much to my delight)
The Road and No Country for Old Men - both by Cormac McCarthy
Earth Abides - by George R. Stewart (wonderful humanistic novel that won the first World Fantasy Award)
Their Eyes Were Watching God - by Zora Neale Hurston
The Age of Innocence - by Edith Wharton
The Maltese Falcon - by Dashielle Hammett
The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye - both by Raymond Chandler
Mystic River - by Dennis Lehane
Battle Royale - by Koushun Takami (not the graphic novel version!)
No, it doesn't work this way.

SORRY! I was typing the other one. I will follow the rules!

ok

Ill reference many of these nominations on what to choose to read. I hope I will have the time.
This is the very point.

I suggest we cap around 4-500 nominations to help filter through. I imagine well have a lot of novels with only a couple seconds battling it out to make the hundred we vote for placment on.
Precisely.

Jean
07-20-2013, 04:07 AM
bears second:

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Treasure Island
Kim

and nominate

The Trial, by Kafka

Jean
07-20-2013, 04:45 AM
and I thought someone nominated Imajica (Barker) though I don't see it on the list.No, the nomination didn't comply with the rules.

Brave New World
Brave New World hasn't been nominated yet, because pablo made two nominations in one post

Seconding Clockwork Orange, East of Eden and No Country for Old Men.hey, where did you take it? is it the same as The Road?

Jean
07-20-2013, 04:58 AM
sorted them alphabetically, and highlighted the newly added

updates:

1984 +7
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The + 4
American Psycho +0
Andromeda Strain, The +3
Battlefield Earth +
Breakfast of Champions +
Candide +2
Castle, The + 1
Catch-22 +4
Catcher in the Rye, The + 4
Charlotte's Web +2
Clockwork Orange, A +3
Count of Monte Cristo, The +2
Dark Tower, The +7
David Copperfield +3
Dracula +4
East of Eden +1
Exorcist, The +3
Fahrenheit 451 +5
Fight Club +3
Frankenstein + 2
Geek Love +0
Ghost Story +3
Glass Bead Game, The +3
Haunting of Hill House, The +3
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The +3
I Am Legend +1
It +4
Jane Eyre +3
Jaws +
Journey to the Center of the Earth +2
Kim +1
Lolita + 4
Lord Of The Flies +8
Lord of the Rings +4
Lost World, The +1 (Conan Doyle)
Master and Margarita, The + 0
Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The +0
Northanger Abbey +3
Of Mice and Men + 4
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest +4
Outsiders, The +1
Portnoy's Complaint +0
Psycho +2
Rabbit Series + 0
Road, The +1
Scarlet Letter, The +3
Silence of the Lambs, The +1
Slaughterhouse-Five +2
Stand, The +5
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde +4
Stranger, The +1
Terror, The +1
Thief of Always, The +1
Trial, The +0
Treasure Island +3
Turn of the Screw, The +3
War and Peace +1
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle +0
Wuthering Heights +2

Jean
07-20-2013, 05:12 AM
I have added the following to the starter post:

Seconding in this round is tantamount to voting. When we actually vote, the grouping will depend on the number of votes received NOW.

P.S. Hyping your favorites is advisable. Example:

Dear friends!!! Please please show some love for The Terror, Huckleberry Finn, and Jane Eyre!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, to make it easier for you to search for the updates, I'll be posting the link to the updated list in the starter post of this thread.

RainInSpain
07-20-2013, 05:17 AM
EDIT: Can't remember if I voted for 1984 - if I didn't, I hereby correct than omission.Oh no, please don't do it to me! Go through your posts here and see if you have already seconded it.

(well, of course, if you can't, bears will do it for you, love... :rose:)

Jean, I'm so, so sorry - it will really be very difficult to do go back through my posts atm. I'm away from civilization right now, and Internet connectivity here is sporadic. Sometimes I wait for 5 or more minutes just to have the page stop loading in the middle, and then it stops working for a day :(

However, if this can wait until next week, I will be happy to fix it as I'll be in St.Pete for a while.

Jean
07-20-2013, 06:11 AM
yes love, as I said, bears will be happy to look into it for you!

NO, IT DOESN't meat that everybody should expect the same from bears!

pathoftheturtle
07-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Brave New World
Brave New World hasn't been nominated yet, because pablo made two nominations in one post

..., how about Brave New World and We?

pablo: which of these two anti-utopias are you nominating?Whichever pablo chooses, I nominate the other one - they both deserve it.

Both :unsure:This is quite different -- Marina had a nom. to spare. You should count them both as nominated by one of them and seconded by the other. The important thing now is just for pablo to affirm that he understands the rule not to do this again.

And I second The Trial.

Brice
07-20-2013, 06:55 AM
nominating-The Monk by M. G. Lewis

Jean
07-20-2013, 07:03 AM
This is quite different -- Marina had a nom. to spare. You should count them both as nominated by one of them and seconded by the other. The important thing now is just for pablo to affirm that he understands the rule not to do this again.

k, I'll count them in when I update tomorrow morning

and, Marina: no, you haven't seconded 1984 yet. I'll add your vote to tomorrow's update

and, Brice! Long time no see!

Brice
07-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah, it's been a bit.

pathoftheturtle
07-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Animal Farm George Orwell

Looking back, I think this is the more profound, though as a young man 1984 changed my thinking. But then, I am partial to allegorical styles anyway.

Jean
07-20-2013, 07:10 AM
I didn't really like either, but I prefer 1984, for the vocabulary (newspeak, doublethink, unperson etc)

Brice
07-20-2013, 07:17 AM
IAre there limits on how many can be seconded/thirded per post?

Jean
07-20-2013, 07:20 AM
No.

Brice
07-20-2013, 07:53 AM
+1

American Psycho
The Castle
I Am Legend
The Outsiders
Breaksfast Of Champions
Kim
Silence Of The Lambs
The Stranger
Thief Of Always
The Trial
Candide
Chharlotte's Web
Slaughterhouse Five

Exactly what is the rabbit series
and which Lost World? Crichton or Doyle?

Jean
07-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Doyle

I'll edit now, adding the author

Exactly what is the rabbit series
by Updike

Brice
07-20-2013, 08:24 AM
+1 for Lost World too then. :)

Dan
07-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I will add a plus one to

The Terror, The Exorcist, and Treasure Island

Odetta
07-20-2013, 10:14 AM
I nominate Children of Men

Heather19
07-20-2013, 10:26 AM
I'll second I Am Legend. Also The Terror needs more love :)

RainInSpain
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
and, Marina: no, you haven't seconded 1984 yet. I'll add your vote to tomorrow's update

Thanks a lot, Jean! :rose:

Seconding Animal Farm

Mattrick
07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Seconds: Animal Farm, The Road

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Nominate: Beloved by Tori Morrison

needfulthings
07-20-2013, 05:23 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/8785/ab6o.jpg
I AM LEGEND has my vote.

Nominate: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne.

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/7638/49zt.jpg

Brice
07-20-2013, 08:10 PM
2nd: 20,000 Leagues...

nominating Finnegan's Wake

Jean
07-20-2013, 10:51 PM
UPDATES:

1984 8
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea 1
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 4
American Psycho 1
Andromeda Strain, The 3
Animal Farm 2
Battlefield Earth 0
Beloved 0
Breakfast of Champions 1
Candide 3
Castle, The 2
Catch-22 4
Catcher in the Rye, The 4
Charlotte's Web 3
Children of Men 0
Clockwork Orange, A 3
Count of Monte Cristo, The 2
Dark Tower, The 7
David Copperfield 3
Dracula 4
East of Eden 1
Exorcist, The 4
Fahrenheit 451 5
Fight Club 3
Finnegan's Wake 0
Frankenstein 2
Geek Love 0
Ghost Story 3
Glass Bead Game, The 3
Haunting of Hill House, The 3
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The 3
I Am Legend 4
Interview With The Vampire 2
It 4
Jane Eyre 3
Jaws
Journey to the Center of the Earth 2
Kim 2
Lolita 4
Lord Of The Flies 8
Lord of the Rings 4
Lost World, The 2
Master and Margarita, The 0
Monk, The 0
Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The 0
Northanger Abbey 3
Of Mice and Men 4
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 4
Outsiders, The 2
Portnoy's Complaint
Psycho 2
Rabbit Series 0
Road, The 2
Scarlet Letter, The 3
Silence of the Lambs, The 2
Slaughterhouse-Five 3
Stand, The 5
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 4
Stranger, The 2
Terror, The 2
Thief of Always, The 2
To Kill a Mockingbird 9
Treasure Island 4
Trial, The 1
Turn of the Screw, The 3
War and Peace 1
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Wuthering Heights 2

RandyinAK
07-20-2013, 11:21 PM
I would like to nominate the childrens book:

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

mystima
07-21-2013, 12:20 AM
will 2nd Battlefield Earth

nominating Little Women.

Jean
07-21-2013, 12:28 AM
bears (at last) nominate The Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Mattrick
07-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Ill second Where The Red Ferj Grows (wonderful little novel, would love to reread one day). I'll seconds bears nomination of The Brothers Karamazov when I finish it in a week or so...had to put it down to finish my own book....almost on part IV

RainInSpain
07-21-2013, 04:21 AM
I second 20,000 Leagues... (was going to nominate it myself, really) and Brothers Karamazov.

Odetta
07-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Seconding The Outsiders

Nominating A Song of Fire and Ice - the whole series

mae
07-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Seconding 20,000 Leagues, nominating Don Quixote (especially in the excellent new translation!).

Brice
07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
+1 song of fire and ice
+1 brothers karamazov

nominating The Stand

Jean
07-21-2013, 09:27 AM
if we're talking about one and the same Stand, it has already been nominated, and collected 5 more votes

RandyinAK
07-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Second the Outsiders

Brice
07-21-2013, 09:53 AM
if we're talking about one and the same Stand, it has already been nominated, and collected 5 more votes

Oh, well erase their nomination and take mine. :P

Jean
07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I have replaced the current Stand entry with your nomination and your five secondings thereof.

Brice
07-21-2013, 10:02 AM
:rofl:

Brice
07-21-2013, 10:03 AM
The Shining

jhanic
07-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Room by Eleanor Donoghue.

If you haven't read it, do so!

John

DoctorZaius
07-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I second A Song of Fire and Ice - whole series

I nominate the Bram Stoker award winning Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

Brice
07-21-2013, 10:43 AM
I second Carrion Comfort (though I prefer the shorter version).

mae
07-21-2013, 10:57 AM
The Shining seconded (probably my own Top 3 King novel). Nominating The Sound and the Fury.

Heather19
07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I'll second Little Women and The Shining.

Mattrick
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I nominate Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

RainInSpain
07-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I second Don Quixote and The Shining.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Second 20000 leagues (though I still think there are several better Jules Verne), as well as The Shining.

And I nominate Old Yeller. One of my favorite Young Adult novels.

Jean
07-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Second 20000 leagues (though I still think there are several better Jules Verne)
Definitely.

as well as The Shining.
Several better Kings, too.

Jean
07-22-2013, 01:28 AM
bears second Don Quixote

Jean
07-22-2013, 01:32 AM
UPDATES

1984 8
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea 4
American Psycho 1
Andromeda Strain, The 3
Animal Farm 2
Battlefield Earth 1
Beloved 0
Brave New World 1
Breakfast of Champions 1
Candide 3
Carrion Comfort 1
Castle, The 2
Catch-22 4
Charlotte's Web 3
Children of Men 0
Clockwork Orange, A 3
Dark Tower, The 7
David Copperfield 3
Don Quixote 2
Dracula 4
East of Eden 1
Exorcist, The 4
Fahrenheit 451 5
Fight Club 3
Finnegan's Wake
Frankenstein 2
Geek Love 0
Ghost Story 3
Glass Bead Game, The 3
I Am Legend 4
It 4
Jane Eyre 3
Jaws
Karamazov Brothers, The 1
Kim 2
Little Women 1
Lolita 4
Lord Of The Flies 8
Lord of the Rings 4
Lost World, The 2
Monk, The
Northanger Abbey 3
Notes From Underground 0
Of Mice and Men 4
Old Yeller 0
Outsiders, The 4
Portnoy's Complaint
Psycho 2
Rabbit Series 0
Road, The 2
Room 0
Scarlet Letter, The 3
Shining, The 4
Slaughterhouse-Five 3
Song of Ice and Fire, A 2
Sound and the Fury, The 0
Stand, The 5
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 4
Stranger, The 2
Terror, The 2
Thief of Always, The 2
To Kill a Mockingbird 9
Treasure Island 4
Trial, The 1
Turn of the Screw, The 3
War and Peace 1
We 0
Where the Red Fern Grows 1
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
Wuthering Heights 2

Merlin1958
07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Nominate The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown

P.S. Jean, heckuva job maintaining this thread!!!

pathoftheturtle
07-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Cloud Atlas David Mitchell

Second Don Quixote

mystima
07-22-2013, 08:51 PM
I second DaVinci code and nominate Dragonriders of Pern series.

mae
07-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Nominating Everything is Illuminated.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Second DaVinci Code

Iwritecode
07-23-2013, 06:34 AM
I can’t believe how many of these novels I either haven’t read or didn’t like. Although of the ones I haven’t read, I’ve at least heard of most of them.

+1 to these:
Charlotte's Web
The Dark Tower
I Am Legend
It
Lord of the Rings
The Stand
To Kill a Mockingbird
Where the Red Fern Grows

Nominate: 11/22/63

Stebbins
07-23-2013, 06:56 AM
I nominate The Long Walk

Seconds:
Fight Club
The Stand
To Kill A Mockingbird

fearless-freak
07-23-2013, 07:05 AM
i nominate All Quiet on The Western Front ( Im Westen nichts Neues) by Erich Maria Remarque

mae
07-23-2013, 07:26 AM
All Quiet on the Western Front seconded. Nominating The Man in the High Castle.

Iwritecode
07-23-2013, 07:26 AM
I nominate Ender’s Game

Jean
07-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Oh, well erase their nomination and take mine. :P

I have replaced the current Stand entry with your nomination and your five secondings thereof.

:rofl:

btw, do I add a sixth vote? Seems like a failed nomination must count as seconding

Heather19
07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
I highly second The Long Walk.

Mattrick
07-23-2013, 11:28 AM
I nominate: A Simple Plan by Scott Smith

Stebbins
07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
I highly second The Long Walk.

Good taste (it wouldn't let me just toss you some rep)!

Dan
07-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Add one to Long Walk. My favorite Bachman.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-23-2013, 08:01 PM
+1 to The Long Walk.

Nominate: War of the Worlds

pathoftheturtle
07-24-2013, 04:26 AM
Gulliver's Travels Johnathan Swift

Second War of the Worlds

Jean
07-24-2013, 04:31 AM
bears second Gulliver's Travels

and nominate Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis.

I understand that it has no chance, because nobody seems to have read it. It's very sad, actually: has always been among bears' favorite novels ever

P.S. Will do the updates later tonight

mae
07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Gulliver's Travels seconded.

Iwritecode
07-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Don’t know if anyone else has read it but…

Nominate: Ready Player One – Ernest Cline

mae
07-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Was An American Tragedy already nominated? If not...

Jean
07-24-2013, 06:13 AM
there's still time, my friends!! we still can read all those novels we haven't read yet!

dnemec
07-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Seconding Jekyll/Hyde and The Exorcist.

Nominating Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (I don't believe I've seen it yet!).

Jean
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
1984 9
All Quiet on The Western Front 1
American Psycho 1
American Tragedy, An 0
Andromeda Strain, The 3
Animal Farm 2
Battlefield Earth 1
Beloved 0
Brave New World 2
Breakfast of Champions 1
Candide 3
Carrion Comfort 1
Castle, The 2
Catch-22 4
Charlotte's Web 3
Children of Men 0
Clockwork Orange, A 3
Cloud Atlas 0
Dark Tower, The 7
David Copperfield 3
Da Vinci Code, The 2
Don Quixote 3
Dracula 4
Dragonriders of Pern 0
East of Eden 1
Ender’s Game 0
Everything is Illuminated 0
Exorcist, The 5
Fahrenheit 451 5
Fight Club 4
Finnegan's Wake 0
Frankenstein 2
Geek Love 0
Ghost Story 3
Glass Bead Game, The 3
Gulliver's Travels 2
I Am Legend 4
It 4
Jane Eyre 3
Jaws 0
Kim 2
Little Women 1
Lolita 4
Long Walk, The 3
Lord Of The Flies 8
Lord of the Rings 4
Lost World, The 2
Lucky Jim 0
Man in the High Castle, The 0
Monk, The 0
Northanger Abbey 3
Notes From Underground 0
Of Mice and Men 4
Old Yeller 0
Outsiders, The 4
Portnoy's Complaint 0
Psycho 2
Rabbit Series 0
Ready Player One 0
Road, The 2
Room 0
Rosemary's Baby 0
Scarlet Letter, The 3
Simple Plan, A 0
Shining, The 4
Slaughterhouse-Five 3
Song of Ice and Fire, A 2
Stand, The 7
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 5
Stranger, The 2
Terror, The 2
Thief of Always, The 2
To Kill a Mockingbird 10
Treasure Island 4
Trial, The 1
Turn of the Screw, The 3
War and Peace 1
War of the Worlds 1
We 1
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
Wuthering Heights 2

Merlin1958
07-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd like to second the following:

Animal Farm
Catcher in the Rye, The
Fahrenheit 451
Lost World, The
Of Mice and Men
Rosemary's Baby
Treasure Island

RainInSpain
07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Seconding the following:
Everything is Illuminated
All Quiet on The Western Front
War of the Worlds
An American Tragedy

Nominating The Old Man And the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

becca69
07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I nominate The Princess Bride.

I second Animal Farm, Rosemary's Baby, The Road, Candide, Dracula, Treasure Island, Wuthering Heights, A Song of Ice and Fire

Jean
07-24-2013, 12:37 PM
by the way, it's a week today since the nominations started

here are our leaders at the moment:

To Kill a Mockingbird 10
1984 9
Lord Of The Flies 8
Dark Tower, The 7
Stand, The 7
Exorcist, The 5
Fahrenheit 451 5

Mattrick
07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
GO CANDIDE!! LOVE THAT BOOK

pathoftheturtle
07-24-2013, 01:07 PM
GO CANDIDE!! LOVE THAT BOOK

:nope: Meh.

BTW, The Shining tied with It?! WTF? Only three can advance... let's hear some more It seconding, please!

Mattrick
07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
You crazy path....Candide is the best of all possible worlds! Lol

Dan
07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Another to Gulliver's Travels.

Stebbins
07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Bachman books are independent from King ones, right? :) Really though, the two are night and day, they just happen to be the same guy.

Dan
07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't say night and day, but different and I hope they are separate.

pathoftheturtle
07-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh, come on. If they weren't the same guy, would Bachman really have any chance at the top 100 novels of all time?

Dan
07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh, come on. If they weren't the same guy, would Bachman really have any chance at the top 100 novels of all time?

Good point. Not that Bachman's books weren't up to par, but they wouldn't have received the same recognition. A name certainly carries a book. There are many extraordinary books that will not make the list or even sell well simply because the author isn't well known or wasn't marketed well. We live in an age now where most media is "created" for the public to make a profit and not inspired because the author, song writer, etc. wrote from his heart. Not everyone falls under this category and I would like to think that so far none of the book or authors mentioned fall under this category.

Back on topic. I've only read a single book by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, but greatly enjoyed Crime and Punishment. I nominate it. If others don't feel like this should be in the top list over another preferable book of his, feel free to vote that way. I just can't due to ignorance.

Mattrick
07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I second Crime and Punishmen. The more Dostoevsky, the better!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Second Gulliver's Travels. I was actually going to nominate that one myself.

Odetta
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I nominate the Harry Potter series... One of the series that has really gotten kids reading!

mae
07-24-2013, 09:33 PM
C&P seconded.

RainInSpain
07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Seconding Crime and Punishment.

Jean
07-25-2013, 07:17 AM
BTW, The Shining tied with It?! WTF? Only three can advance... let's hear some more It seconding, please!
HEAR!!! HEAR!!!!!

Bachman books are independent from King ones, right? :) Really though, the two are night and day, they just happen to be the same guy.

I wouldn't say night and day, but different and I hope they are separate.
No, they are not. All pseudonyms of one and the same author count as one author.

I second Crime and Punishmen. The more Dostoevsky, the better!
Totally.

Bears second Crime and Punishment too.

I nominate the Harry Potter series... One of the series that has really gotten kids reading!

Yes! Bears second Harry Potter!

Dan
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I will add one to IT. In my top two King books :) Sometimes favorite, sometimes second; just depends on my mood.

Jean
07-26-2013, 03:25 AM
guys, Huckleberry Finn has been regrettably neglected

Maybe you haven't re-read it in a while? Remember how awesome it is! Just a few quotes:

Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

Jim said that bees won't sting idiots, but I didn't believe that, because I tried them lots of times myself and they wouldn't sting me.

Just because you’re taught that something’s right and everyone believes it’s right, it don’t make it right.

Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And hain't that a big enough majority in any town?

You can't pray a lie.

If you are with the quality, or at a funeral, or trying to go to sleep when you ain't sleepy - if you are anywheres where it won't do for you to scratch, why you will itch all over in upwards of a thousand places.

He warn't a boy to meeky along up that yard like a sheep; no, he come calm and important, like the ram.

There warn't anybody at the church, except maybe a hog or two, for there warn't any lock on the door, and hogs likes a puncheon floor in summer-time because it's cool. If you notice, most folks don't go to church only when they've got to; but a hog is different.

And my personal favorite:

The funeral speech was good, only very long and boring.

Dan
07-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I will plus one to Huckleberry Finn. I enjoyed it.

Stockerlone
07-26-2013, 03:51 AM
Is The Catcher in the Rye not nominated?

Jean
07-26-2013, 03:55 AM
yes, it is, and seconded 4 times

Dan
07-26-2013, 03:55 AM
It is and has several votes.

Stockerlone
07-26-2013, 04:05 AM

:cry: I only look for The Catcher in the rye and not for Catcher in the Rye :emot-roflolmao:

Jean
07-26-2013, 04:09 AM
I moved the articles to the end, like in an encyclopaedia, to avoid most of the titles starting with a "t"

Merlin1958
07-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Second Huck Finn!!!!

biomieg
07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm on the road at the moment - will take a closer look at this thread when I get home next week. But I can't leave without 'seconding' The Terror (Dan Simmons) and all Michael Crichton novels that are currently on the list!

Jean
07-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Second Huck Finn!!!!

I'm on the road at the moment - will take a closer look at this thread when I get home next week. But I can't leave without 'seconding' The Terror (Dan Simmons) and all Michael Crichton novels that are currently on the list!

Superb!

pathoftheturtle
07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm on the road at the moment - will take a closer look at this thread when I get home next week.To see if someone has already nominated On the Road? We haven't, but now I will. Thanks for the reminder.

becca69
07-26-2013, 05:15 PM

I second Animal Farm, Rosemary's Baby, The Road, Candide, Dracula, Treasure Island, Wuthering Heights, A Song of Ice and Fire

I don't think my nomination was added...

Jean
07-26-2013, 11:09 PM

I don't think my nomination was added...No, darling, not yet - you posted after the latest update. I'll update in a couple of hours.

Jean
07-27-2013, 04:07 AM
1984 9
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 6
All Quiet on The Western Front 2
American Psycho 1
American Tragedy, An 1
Andromeda Strain, The 4
Animal Farm 4
Battlefield Earth 1
Beloved 0
Brave New World 2
Breakfast of Champions 1
Candide 4
Carrion Comfort 1
Castle, The 2
Catch-22 4
Catcher in the Rye, The 6
Charlotte's Web 3
Children of Men 0
Clockwork Orange, A 3
Cloud Atlas 0
Crime and Punishment 4
Dark Tower, The 7
David Copperfield 3
Da Vinci Code, The 2
Don Quixote 3
Dracula 5
Dragonriders of Pern 0
East of Eden 1
Ender’s Game 0
Everything is Illuminated 1
Exorcist, The 5
Fahrenheit 451 6
Fight Club 4
Finnegan's Wake 0
Frankenstein 2
Geek Love 0
Ghost Story 3
Glass Bead Game, The 3
Gulliver's Travels 4
Harry Potter 1
I Am Legend 4
It 5
Jane Eyre 3
Jaws 0
Kim 2
Little Women 1
Lolita 4
Long Walk, The 3
Lord Of The Flies 8
Lord of the Rings 4
Lost World, The 3
Lucky Jim 0
Man in the High Castle, The 0
Monk, The 0
Northanger Abbey 3
Notes From Underground 0
Of Mice and Men 5
Old Man and the Sea, The 0
Old Yeller 0
On the Road 0
Outsiders, The 4
Portnoy's Complaint 0
Princess Bride, The 0
Psycho 2
Rabbit Series 0
Ready Player One 0
Road, The 3
Room 0
Rosemary's Baby 2
Scarlet Letter, The 3
Simple Plan, A 0
Shining, The 4
Slaughterhouse-Five 3
Song of Ice and Fire, A 3
Stand, The 7
Stranger, The 2
Terror, The 3
Thief of Always, The 2
To Kill a Mockingbird 10
Treasure Island 6
Trial, The 1
Turn of the Screw, The 3
War and Peace 1
War of the Worlds 2
We 1
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
Wuthering Heights 3

Stockerlone
07-27-2013, 04:08 AM
I'll nominate one of my fav. books from Japan Musashi from the amazing Eiji Yoshikawa.

Jean
07-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Is The Catcher in the Rye not nominated?

:cry: I only look for The Catcher in the rye and not for Catcher in the Rye :emot-roflolmao:

I have counted it as a seconding, ok? Just don't second it another time.

I'm on the road at the moment - will take a closer look at this thread when I get home next week. But I can't leave without 'seconding' The Terror (Dan Simmons) and all Michael Crichton novels that are currently on the list!I have added your votes to The Terror and The Andromeda Strain. The latter is the only Crichton we have so far; so, if another appears, please second it separately, ok?

Heather19
07-27-2013, 04:17 AM
I'll nominate Jurassic Park.

Also we need more seconds for IT, and The Long Walk please :)

Jean
07-27-2013, 04:36 AM
we have 101 nominations now! Let's make at least 200, to have something to choose from!

Jean
07-27-2013, 06:28 AM
I'll nominate one of my fav. books from Japan Musashi from the amazing Eiji Yoshikawa.
the list of books I must read asap is growing...

Bears nominate The Ball and the Cross by G.K.Chesterton

fearless-freak
07-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Battle Royale by Koshun Takami

Odetta
07-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Second Jurassic Park

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 08:31 AM
I'll nominate Jurassic Park.

Also we need more seconds for IT, and The Long Walk please :)

When are you going to second "Jaws"???? LOL LOL

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing no one has read A Simplr Plan, that is a shame.

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing no one has read A Simple Plan, that is a shame.

Same as the movie?

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Movie was erm, more humane than the novel.

Merlin1958
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing no one has read A Simple Plan, that is a shame.

Same as the movie?

Movie was erm, more humane than the novel.

Can you expand? You piqued my interest, so now you are obliged!!! LOL LOL Seriously, what do you mean?

Mattrick
07-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Well, take what the money did to change the characters in the movie (which is rather different in the second half) and imagine it being several times more disturbing. The movie was a tame version of the story. Scott Smiths other novel, The Ruins, is amazing but the movie was awful, where as Raimi A Simple Plan is great.