PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Sleep book tour

Bev Vincent
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Doctor Sleep Book Tour
Posted: July 10th, 2013 9:40:53 am EDT

Stephen will be appearing at an on-stage event presented by Boulder Bookstore in Boulder at the Colorado Chautauqua Auditorium on Wednesday, September 25th at 7:30 PM during which he will talk, read, and answer questions from the audience. Tickets are $37.50 for the general public and $34.50 for Chautauqua Members and will include a first edition copy of Doctor Sleep. The event will not include a book signing, but Stephen will be pre-signing a limited number of Doctor Sleep which will be randomly distributed at the conclusion of the event.

Tickets will go on-sale online Thursday, July 11th at 1 PM MST for Chautauqua members and Readers Guild members only at tickets.chautauqua.com. A promo code for ticket ordering will be distributed to Boulder Bookstore members in a special newsletter blast which they will send out July 10th—be sure to check your email.

Tickets for the general public will go on-sale Friday, July 12 at 1 PM MST online at tickets.chautauqua.com.

Tickets may also be purchased in person at the Box Office or by phone with the same restrictions listed above.

Box office information:
tickets.chautauqua.com

Walk up/phone sales Mon - Fri., 1 - 6PM

Chautauqua website: www.chautauqua.com

barlow
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Is one event considered a tour? Just kidding, do we expect some Moore events to be announced in the near future?

Ken

Bev Vincent
07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
There will be more announced once all the details are finalized.

Tito_Villa
07-10-2013, 11:04 AM
That's just after my birthday, wish I could be there

Stockerlone
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
That's just after my birthday, wish I could be there

:idea:25th September IS MY BIRTHDAY, wish I could be there:idea:

EXPLORER
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
UNDER QUIRKS & TIPs;
Heating & Cooling
The Chautauqua Auditorium is open from May through September and is heated and cooled by Mother Nature. This means that there is no air conditioning or heating in the venue. We have recently installed two large evaporative coolers, as well as two Big Ass Fans (really the name!) in the ceiling to help lower the temperature of the building and keep air moving on hot nights. The Auditorium's temperature is also regulated slightly by raising or lowering the sliders on the sides of the building, For maximum comfort, we suggest keeping an eye on the weather forecast and dressing appropriately. It has snowed every month in Colorado so if the temperature is looking frosty, we suggest bringing a blanket, warm hat, jacket and gloves. On warmer nights, bringing a water bottle to stay hydrated is recommended.

EXPLORER
07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Sometimes fondly referred to as "the barn," the Chautauqua Auditorium was erected in 45 days for $6,700 and opened on July 4, 1898, as the tabernacle for the new Colorado Chautauqua. Before the 1899 season, panels that slide upward on ropes and pulleys were installed on the middle sections of the building and hinged double doors were fitted on the east and west ends of the wings to control the dust and wind.

The interior of the structure has witnessed only minimal modifications and remains lofty and open, with only unfinished timber supports interrupting the space and single piece beams of Oregon fir spanning the 80 feet expanse above. Originally, the Auditorium was built to accommodate 6,000 patrons with banks of risers built on the stage. In 1905, the bleachers were removed and replaced with dressing rooms at stage left and right and seats have replaced the original bleachers (with the exception of some benches in the general admission section). Today, the Auditorium hosts just over 1,300 guests per show.

The Chautauqua Auditorium was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

TwistedNadine
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
It has snowed every month in Colorado so if the temperature is looking frosty, we suggest bringing a blanket, warm hat, jacket and gloves. .

Flask and refills also recommended

Ricky
07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Is one event considered a tour? Just kidding, do we expect some Moore events to be announced in the near future?

Ms. Mod over at the SKMB said 2-3 more stops to be announced. Kind of a small tour (especially for such a marketable book with a built-in audience) if you ask me.

EXPLORER
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
It has snowed every month in Colorado so if the temperature is looking frosty, we suggest bringing a blanket, warm hat, jacket and gloves. .

Sounds like wise voice of experience. Have you been there?

TwistedNadine
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Many moons ago when I lived in Colorado Springs.

Sounds like wise voice of experience. Have you been there?

EXPLORER
07-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Just purchased 4 tickets... They are offering all general admission. first come first seated tickets.

TwistedNadine
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Looks like 4 per registrant is the limit

EXPLORER
07-11-2013, 11:30 AM
actaully it allowed me to put 8 in a cue.. 4 at a time.. and it was giving at discounted price for all 8. However, I was not sure what would happen if completed checking out..

plus was not sure could find that many people interested per earlier conversations..

Will be interesting to see if/when they sell out .

TwistedNadine
07-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I was able to get almost all the way thru checkout but when I hit complete I got an error message saying maximum exceeded. Kept reducing the number of tickets until the charge went through - which was four.

EXPLORER
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Tried to go back and buy some more after a friends call... however it said I exceeded my limit and would not allow additional purchase..

Jimimck
07-14-2013, 12:09 AM
If anyone has tickets yet to be allocated, I'm happy to pay for a ticket and you take someone who doesn't care about King for a chance at a signed copy....

Bev Vincent
08-02-2013, 05:54 AM
For his final appearance for the Doctor Sleep tour, Harvard Book Store will be hosting an event at 7 PM on September 27th to be held at the Memorial Church, One Harvard Yard, in Cambridge, MA. Stephen will read from and discuss the book followed by a Q&A with the audience. This event will not include a book signing, but a limited number of pre-signed first edition copies of Doctor Sleep will be randomly distributed to ticketholders among the unsigned first editions at the conclusion of the event.

Tickets will be $35, which includes one first edition copy of the book and will go on sale at 9 AM on August 5, 2013. Ticket purchases will be limited to no more than 4 per person.

See links and more information here (http://www.stephenking.com/news_archive/article408.html).

RichardX
08-02-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of the random distribution of pre-signed books. My experience is that a surprising number of folks - particularly college kids and those invited by event organizers - are not interested in a signed book and simply leave when it is over. But they have the same chance as someone who travels a long distance to get one. It's also a bit impersonal to do it this way. Even if you only have a couple of seconds to get your book signed it feels like you have met King. As I understand Ms. Mod's explanation, this is an attempt to reduce ebay selling. That seems futile though. So long as the signed books have a value, some are going to end up on ebay. And it is likely cheaper for many true fans to buy one on ebay than travel across the country and stay at a hotel to attend the event (particularly when they aren't guaranteed a signed book via that process).

CRinVA
08-02-2013, 06:27 AM
I know Sia King doesn't need to tour to promote his book. I know that with only three (I think) tour stops that it will not have any affect on purchases of Dr. Sleep.

So if you are lucky enough to be in Col Springs or NYC or Cambridge then congrats. Or if your illing ot pay to travel to these signings and hope for one of the randomly distributed signed books then teriffic!

Personally i am not near any of these venues nor am I willing to fund a trip for a "possibly signed" book so won't be attending.

I would hope that King would do more not to really promote a book but to pay back loyal and dedicated fans for buying his book! JMHO! :-)

Kingfan24
08-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I know Sia King doesn't need to tour to promote his book. I know that with only three (I think) tour stops that it will not have any affect on purchases of Dr. Sleep.

So if you are lucky enough to be in Col Springs or NYC or Cambridge then congrats. Or if your illing ot pay to travel to these signings and hope for one of the randomly distributed signed books then teriffic!

Personally i am not near any of these venues nor am I willing to fund a trip for a "possibly signed" book so won't be attending.

I would hope that King would do more not to really promote a book but to pay back loyal and dedicated fans for buying his book! JMHO! :-)

Although he doesn't "owe" us anything it would have been nice for my first King event to be able to meet the guy at least.