PDA

View Full Version : In Mint Condition: 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Shannon
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2529/3kul.jpg

Ambannon Books, in connection with TheDarkTower.org, is proud to announce In Mint Condition: 2014. The In Mint Condition series is an open-genre collection of short fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry exclusively from the members of TheDarkTower.org, with each entry including one accompanying art piece (more to come about artists later). There will be a Trade Paperback Edition, and there will also be a Signed, Limited Hardcover Edition with different dustjacket artwork and interior design than the Trade Paperback Edition. The Hardcover Edition will also be numbered, signed by the editor, and limited to a print run of 100 copies only.

This is an official Call For Submissions. We here at Ambannon Books are looking for talented authors both new and established alike to come together and help us create something wonderful. We would like the anthology to include all types of writing styles. We would like a short fiction story about werewolf babies on page three, and then on page eighty-seven, we want to read a creative nonfiction essay about the time you and your significant other got lost in the woods and somehow came across a psychotic man that thought he was Bigfoot. I personally would like to read a poem describing the lives of suicidal aliens. Maybe that’s just me though. Essentially, there are no guidelines. You may write on any topic, although topics considered highly highly highly offensive may not be allowed publication. The length is also up to the writer. Keep in mind, however, that a short story should not be a novel, nor should a short story be too small that there isn't much of a story.

All works submitted to In Mint Condition: 2014 must be original and previously unpublished. Additionally, authors must notify us immediately if their work is being published elsewhere before this anthology is completed. You may submit multiple works. Each submission must be saved as its own document.

Submissions: Please send your submissions and/or any questions/comments to shannon@ambannonbooks.com. All submissions must be formatted as a Microsoft Word document. We are not accepting artwork submissions at this point.

Notification: After we have read your written work, we will decide whether or not to include that work in In Mint Condition: 2014. Once our final Table of Contents is decided, we will personally notify everyone that submitted something as to our decision. For written works, those works that are accepted for inclusion may undergo a recommended editing and revision process between the author and the editors. We will not change your work ourselves, but revisions/edits may be requested. If an agreement between the author and the editorial staff cannot be made on the potential revisions it might affect inclusion.

Compensation: If your written work is included in In Mint Condition: 2014, we will send you one (1) copy of the Hardcover Edition as our personal thank you. A percentage (to be determined later) of the profit from the Hardcover Edition will be donated towards Stephen King's The Haven Foundation.

Due Date: All submissions will be due on Saturday, October 5th, 2013 Saturday, November 9th, 2013. Please do not submit a “rough draft,” only submit work that you feel is finished.

The staff of Ambannon Books and the editors here at In Mint Condition: 2014 are really looking forward to reading your work! Thank you!

Reasons Why Stories/Poems Got Rejected For In Mint Condition: 2013: Too short.
Nothing interesting happened and/or we didn't care enough about the characters.
The story was based on something/anything to do with Stephen King/other authors.
Your poem wasn't understood/felt by any of the editors.
Extreme typos. We can handle typos and errors, but when it feels like you don't care, then we stop caring.

And for anyone who is not aware of the amazing Table of Contents for our first publication, In Mint Condition: 2013:

Table of Contents:

1. “Mr. Scratch’s Murder Circus” by Jeremy Gooch. Artwork by Erin Wells.
2. “The Receptionist” by Bob Ireland. Artwork by Allen Koszowski.
3. “The Train Graveyard” by Ariel Bosi. Artwork by Heather Armata
4. “Seagrass Encounter” by David Swearingen. Artwork by Rachel Readman.
5. “Brother” by Ryan Wood. Artwork by Dustin Amato.
6. “A Place on Pine Island” by Matthew Biddle. Artwork by Terry Newsom.
7. “Pumpkin” by Krystle-Dawn M. Willing. Artwork by Erik Wilson.
8. “Excelsior!” by Jean Melkovsky. Artwork by Edward Ziniti.
9. “My First Book” by Jeannine Bulsara. Artwork by Krystle-Dawn M. Willing.
10. “The Rule of Three” by Thomas Cranham. Artwork by Jill Bauman.
11. “You’re the Best” by Tim Martin. Artwork by Serhiy Krykun.
12. “Darkness Rising” by Gabriel Ayala. Artwork by Vincent Chong.
13. “Tabula Rasa” by Hannah O’Connor. Artwork by David Boehmke.
14. “Right to Life” by Mike Ziniti. Artwork by Les Edwards.
15. “On Monday, I ate my cat.” by Jerome Smith. Artwork by Alex McVey.
16. “Marvin’s Retirement” by Ralph Mulleins. Artwork by Glenn Chadbourne.

Shannon
07-06-2013, 07:13 PM
To all "visitors" of TheDarkTower.org, just wanted to extend a warm welcome and an invitation to join us. We are primarily Stephen King fans and collectors, but trust me when I tell you, there is something for everyone here.

Merlin1958
07-06-2013, 07:40 PM
To all "visitors" of TheDarkTower.org, just wanted to extend a warm welcome and an invitation to join us. We are primarily Stephen King fans and collectors, but trust me when I tell you, there is something for everyone here.

He is extremely correct and if you are a "budding" writer you will want to send a submission!!!! This is cutting edge internet publishing. Do not miss out!!!

Shannon
07-06-2013, 07:45 PM
"This is cutting edge internet publishing."

I'd say that this is cutting edge ACTUAL publishing, lol, but maybe you're off your meds again.

:FU:

Merlin1958
07-06-2013, 08:01 PM
"This is cutting edge internet publishing."

I'd say that this is cutting edge ACTUAL publishing, lol, but maybe you're off your meds again.

:FU:

You know what? It is the "Internet" that you are using to solicit submissions and I was just trying to help out in a small way...

Yeah, I'll check my "meds" and get back to ya...

Geez!

Tito_Villa
07-07-2013, 03:34 AM
I know which story I'll be submitting, just want to go through it once more

stkmw02
07-07-2013, 04:34 AM
I call werewolf babies! :lol:

Ben Staad
07-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Best of luck to Ambannon and to everyone submitting for this volume.

Brice
07-07-2013, 07:11 AM
I call werewolf babies! :lol:

Now there's no backing out. You are expected to produce a werewolf baby story. LOL

Shannon
07-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I don't know, she might get typecast as "The Baby Author". :)

Ari_Racing
07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Great news! :)

stkmw02
07-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking I can just take King's plots and rewrite them with babies... I can make millions!!

divemaster
07-08-2013, 09:59 AM

You know, I kindof envy you folks that have extra stories just lying around. :)

If I want to try to get a second story published, I've got to write a second story.

Ben Staad
07-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Me too. I have three short stories that are not done and one longer story that seems to have went off the tracks.

If I want to try to get a second story published, I've got to write a second story.

Hannah
07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I better get writing! :)

Tito_Villa
07-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Me too. I have three short stories that are not done and one longer story that seems to have went off the tracks.

Well I've recently gotten a new computer and in the last three weeks I've written two short stories, one of 4,200 words and one of 5,500 words. I try to write for at least 30 mins every night!

Bad Penny
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Well I've recently gotten a new computer and in the last three weeks I've written two short stories, one of 4,200 words and one of 5,500 words. I try to write for at least 30 mins every night!

That's awesomely prolific of you Tom, and I'm envious that you have the creative spark within you (I seem to be okay writing business related documents, however; I have the fictional creativity of your average coconut) :D I'll look forward to seeing more of your work down the track mate.

Tito_Villa
07-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Writing just seems good for me, you know, lets me zone out of the real world for a while :) after editing those 2 stories I start on another tomorrow night

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I've got maybe 10 pages of my first short story written in hopes of submitting it for this project. Failing that, I have another poem.

mosheprigan
07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Hi Brownings Childe
How many words contains your 10-page story?
Thanks.

Tito_Villa
07-10-2013, 07:44 AM
My edited story is 18 pages, around 10,400 words

mosheprigan
07-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi Tito_Villa.
Isn't way too much for a short story? I mean it sounds more like a novella, if you get to my point.

Tito_Villa
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Maybe, but that's what i'm going to submit, if I needed to shorten it, i'd look at it again :)

mosheprigan
07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Tito_ Villa and all other members.
Here is what I've found in GOODREADS, that may help:
For the Nebula Awards Categories:
Under 7,500 for the Short Story category
Between 7,500 and 17,500 for the Novelette category
Between 17,500 and 40,000 for the Novella category
Over 40,000 for the Novel category. Since the Science Fiction market for short stories has been consistently strong for a long time I figure these numbers are as good as any to follow.
There isn't any consensus for the word count 'sweet spot'. So... aim for the middle, 3-4,000 and start sweating around 7,000 because nobody really likes a Novelette, do they?

Tito_Villa
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
At this moment there isn't a word limit, but if that story is too long then I have another ready that's around 4,500 words

mosheprigan
07-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Yeah, there isn't any word limit right now.
Here's another good citation I've found:
"Short stories are traditionally defined as between 2,000 and 7.500 words. A short story should be only long enough for an average reader to finish it in one sitting rather than several as the longer novel or novella normally takes". So your 4500 and my about 2500 fit this recommended frame

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Dont have any idea about my word count as it is written out long hand. It is definitely a short story.

Hannah
07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
My "short story" for IMC 2013 was around 10,500 words. I tend to not worry about the word count as I am writing and edit later if needed.

Brice
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
I doubt my complete story is even 1,000 words atm...it might not even be 500. Of course whether it ends up here or not, it'll grow.

stkmw02
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Brice, yours is short and sweet... ;)

CurtSeattle
07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Okay, I'm in this time!

Well not in technically I guess...more I'm "in"terested in submitting something in the hopes of being "in"cluded in the next compilation. :)

How much does it cost to have 100 books run if I write a 200 page story out of curiosity? Just a range...I could give them out as gifts. hahaha...force my friends to read my stuff. They know I will quiz them. I love it.

I have 2 pages so far already written! :)

Stebbins
07-12-2013, 06:19 AM
I will definitely be submitting this year!

Tito_Villa
07-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Good news

Robert Fulman
07-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Okay, I'm in this time!

Well not in technically I guess...more I'm "in"terested in submitting something in the hopes of being "in"cluded in the next compilation. :)

How much does it cost to have 100 books run if I write a 200 page story out of curiosity? Just a range...I could give them out as gifts. hahaha...force my friends to read my stuff. They know I will quiz them. I love it.

I have 2 pages so far already written! :)I have a 250 page book that I have self-published with CreateSpace. If I wanted to buy 100 copies, they would cost me $3.68 each, plus $43 shipping.

Tito_Villa
07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Okay, I'm in this time!

I have 2 pages so far already written! :)I have a 250 page book that I have self-published with CreateSpace. If I wanted to buy 100 copies, they would cost me $3.68 each, plus $43 shipping.

That's cool, how did you sell them?

Robert Fulman
07-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Not very well.

http://www.creativeideagal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/groucho-kiril.jpg

harrison ryan
07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Ha ha ha! Nice!

Robert Fulman
07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
In all seriousness, Createspace is owned by Amazon, so Createspace books are automatically available on Amazon.com (or even Amazon.co.uk). The service is free, but for pretty small additional charges you can assign your own publisher name (in theory to hide the fact that it's self-published) or have the books available on other sites or in actual bookstores. Both those services cost less than $50. I have published 5 books under three different names, and sold almost 500 copies in total. I highly recommend it.

Robert Fulman
07-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Or you could go the fancier route of doing a hardcover with a slipcase. As Shannon can tell you, this is a much more expensive route. This costs closer to $20 to $25 per copy.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/DV300F/aa_zps5d76bf9e.jpg

Stebbins
07-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Can you do illustrated books with Createspace too (asking for a children's book that definitely needs it)?

On a thread related note, can there be multiple submissions, Shannon? If so, is there a limit?

Brice
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
That hc looks awesome, RF!

Brice, yours is short and sweet... ;)

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. Of course it has not grown up yet.

Shannon
07-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Yes, you can submit as many stories and poems as you want, but please, only submit original/unpublished works, and only work you are satisfied with. Submitting multiple stories or poems that are just "meh" will only waste our time.

CreateSpace is cheaper, but the quality isn't up to our standards.

Hannah's story was (I'm pretty sure) the longest, but when reading it, it never felt long and was a truly enjoyable experience.

Stebbins
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Okay, cool. Thank you for the quick reply. If it's submitting for a publishing company, I wouldn't think of sending in anything other than a polished work I was truly proud of. I have two or three short stories that came to mind, that's why I was asking.

mosheprigan
07-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello Shannon
Did you receive my story? I have emailed it to you before about 6.5 hours.
Thanks

Shannon
07-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Email sent, thank you.

Tito_Villa
07-16-2013, 06:35 AM
How's everyone writing (or written) their stories? Just go off from one idea and see where the story goes, or having a plan to go A to B to C etc

Room 217 Caretaker
07-16-2013, 07:01 AM
How's everyone writing (or written) their stories? Just go off from one idea and see where the story goes, or having a plan to go A to B to C etc

I always see where the story takes me when I'm writing. You can say I have a plan A, but after that, my imagination begins to develope the story as I get involved with it.

Ralph

Tito_Villa
07-17-2013, 07:00 AM

I always see where the story takes me when I'm writing. You can say I have a plan A, but after that, my imagination begins to develope the story as I get involved with it.

Ralph

Interesting because that's how my early stories went but recently i've had an idea of all of the major points in the story before i start writing.

Oh and i've just submitted my story for IMC 2014, hoping i get included again!

Hannah
07-18-2013, 07:12 PM

I used to just write. I would get an idea in my head - sometimes just some good phrasing or a basic concept and just write. But I never finished anything that way. So I have started to force myself to think about a story and prepare a rudimentary outline for a plot before I start writing. I find that helps me finish things when I already have an ending in mind.

I just finished my rough draft for IMC 2014. I am hoping to have it polished up and ready to submit by the end of the week.

stkmw02
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I forget... is In Mint Condition exclusive? You don't want anything previously published, and/or the work cannot be republished later? Just checking because I have a little something of both that I might submit.

woodpryan
07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
See Shannon's post 9 up. Only unpublished works, apparently.

stkmw02
07-20-2013, 06:06 AM
I should have specified with the unpublished... would uncirculated publications, such as college writing showcase collections printed privately and never sold, also be excluded? These were distributed to other students on campus only, which I don't consider "published" but apparently others do.

Cook
07-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Or you could go the fancier route of doing a hardcover with a slipcase. As Shannon can tell you, this is a much more expensive route. This costs closer to $20 to $25 per copy.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag74/Robert_Fulman/DV300F/aa_zps5d76bf9e.jpg

That's a very familiar looking s/l book, :smile:

Brice
07-20-2013, 07:33 AM

No plan! The first draft serves as outline. Right now that's where I'm at.

Shannon
07-20-2013, 10:23 AM
First appearances only for the In Mint Condition series. After the book is published, you can do whatever you want with your stories and poems. :)

harrison ryan
07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
So art submissions come later?

Shannon
07-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes sir. Artists will be selected by invitation only, and they will illustrate either one of the chosen short stories or poems, or do the artwork for the paperback or hardcover covers.

This is my public invitation for you, Mr. Ryan. I love your artwork.

Shannon
07-20-2013, 06:27 PM
I would like to announce at this time that we have found the last piece of the In Mint Condition: 2014 editorial staff:

Hannah O'Connor!

She passed all the physical and mental tests that I threw at her with flying colors, so congratulations are in order!

Bad Penny
07-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Here, here - sterling choice Shannon !!!! :clap:

Yes sir. Artists will be selected by invitation only, and they will illustrate either one of the chosen short stories or poems, or do the artwork for the paperback or hardcover covers.

This is my public invitation for you, Mr. Ryan. I love your artwork.

harrison ryan
07-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Congratulations, Hannah!

Brice
07-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Congratulations Hannah! :huglove:

You'll do wonderful!

Ari_Racing
07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Congratulations!

Ben Staad
07-21-2013, 02:19 PM
God. We are in trouble if she passed the tests you (yes, You!) threw at her.

I would like to announce at this time that we have found the last piece of the In Mint Condition: 2014 editorial staff:

Hannah O'Connor!

She passed all the physical and mental tests that I threw at her with flying colors, so congratulations are in order!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Well, even though my story is written longhand at this point, I was curious about the word count. So I counted it 1990 words, and I figure I am about half through. So should be roughly 4000 words. Just getting to the good part. This is fun, never made it this far in a story before.

CRinVA
07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I'll be submitting for sure. My story in In Mint Condition 2013 was just short of 9,000 words!

woodpryan
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I should have specified with the unpublished... would uncirculated publications, such as college writing showcase collections printed privately and never sold, also be excluded? These were distributed to other students on campus only, which I don't consider "published" but apparently others do.

I honestly really don't think that counts. That should be fine, I would think. A publication of such a piece in "In Mint Condition" would certainly be considered first publication.

Merlin1958
07-23-2013, 04:17 PM

I honestly really don't think that counts. That should be fine, I would think. A publication of such a piece in "In Mint Condition" would certainly be considered first publication.

I would agree personally.

Shannon
07-23-2013, 06:39 PM
If anyone other than yourself and maybe one or two other people have seen your story or poem, then it has been released publicly already.

Stebbins
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Sent. I wish a portion of the profits were being donated to the authors and artists :harrier: :lol:

Merlin1958
08-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Sent. I wish a portion of the profits were being donated to the authors and artists :harrier: :lol:

Actually, they are, through the "Haven Fund", which is a support charity for artists and such who do not have medical insurance. Ambannon, made a substantial donation and is continually a supporter of the charity. He may be my "Bastard Son", but he is definitely a great "Bastard Son" to have!!!

Was that a "Bitch slap", Shannon? Sorry if it was, but you know a "Dad's gotta do what a "Dad's gotta do!!! LOL LOL Stebbins? I still love ya, dude!!!

Shannon
08-14-2013, 09:50 PM

On the horizon, there may be an edition of In Mint Condition that raises enough money so that I can pay the authors and artists a fair amount of monetary compensation.

Stebbins
08-15-2013, 06:38 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bill, nothing but love here for ya, friend. I know any ribbing from you is good-natured.

Looking forward to this anthology :rock:

Merlin1958
08-16-2013, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bill, nothing but love here for ya, friend. I know any ribbing from you is good-natured.

Looking forward to this anthology :rock:

It is, my friend. Shannon, is a "stand up" kinda guy. He will come through, have no doubt. Plus, it will be wonderful!!!

Shannon
08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
How's everyone doing on their short stories and poems for In Mint Condition: 2014? We have about seven weeks until the deadline closes. We've received quite a few entries so far, and I'd like to keep the ball rolling.

For all authors, both new and old, this is your time to shine. Do you have it in you to be an Ambannon Author?

See more information here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17522-In-Mint-Condition-2014

And don't forget ... the deadline is:

Saturday, October 5th, 2013

Rahfa
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
So nonfiction IS appropriate?

Any thoughts on what you'd want to see as far as true stories/creative-nonfiction essays?

Shannon
08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
It should be interesting. I've always thought that good nonfiction reads like fiction.

Shannon
09-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Great article:

What Editors Want; A Must-Read for Writers Submitting to Literary Magazines (http://www.thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/what-editors-want-must-read-writers-submitti)

Randall Flagg
09-02-2013, 04:43 AM
I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Br!an
09-02-2013, 05:32 AM
Great article:

What Editors Want; A Must-Read for Writers Submitting to Literary Magazines (http://www.thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/what-editors-want-must-read-writers-submitti)

Excellent!

stkmw02
09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Well, the "short story" I started writing for the 2014 IMC has turned into something longer... I might still chop it down to size, but probably not in time for submissions.
SO I need ideas for short stories. :lol:

Randall Flagg
09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a few ideas, but if I give them to you, I will have none....

Shannon
09-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but you're retired, remember? ;)

CRinVA
09-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Well, the "short story" I started writing for the 2014 IMC has turned into something longer... I might still chop it down to size, but probably not in time for submissions.

I think I am in the same fix! too long for this and it needs to be this long for effect. I'll try somethign else!

Shannon
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Krystle and Bob, how many words are your stories at the moment?

Merlin1958
09-18-2013, 03:38 PM

I think I am in the same fix! too long for this and it needs to be this long for effect. I'll try somethign else!

But, isn't, Shannon an EDITOR? Send the stories and let him and his team decide and/or EDIT!! No?

Shannon
09-18-2013, 11:56 PM
All we do is suggest changes and corrections. I'm --of course-- open to helping people better their stories, but they should be sending me their finished versions, not drafts waiting to be "edited".

CRinVA
09-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Way too many for an anthology - this story has moved past novella and into Novel territory. I have another idea and am fleshing out a short story - hope to have it to you soon! :-)

stkmw02
09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm thinking I might be able to submit the first few chapters as a "short story" and then continue the story to be published later as a novella or novel... I'm just not sure if the 'ending' of the short story will be acceptable and don't want to condense the story just to fit. Arg!!

Shannon
09-24-2013, 12:36 AM
I have extended the due date for submissions to Saturday, November 9th, 2013.

divemaster
09-24-2013, 03:18 AM
The hell?

Shannon
09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
There haven't as many submissions as last time for us to sort through and choose from. I'm even considering opening up the submissions to the world outside of TheDarkTower.org.

Ben Staad
09-24-2013, 03:13 PM
That is not good news. Given how many submissions last time I would have thought you would have had more for this one.

There haven't as many submissions as last time for us to sort through and choose from. I'm even considering opening up the submissions to the world outside of TheDarkTower.org.

Shannon
09-24-2013, 03:59 PM
It is and it isn't. There are only so many authors in this community, and while I've received many submissions from new/future members this round, it's good to draw from a bigger pool. Some authors from the IMC2013 might only have had one good story/poem in them, others might feel that their working for other-than-monetary compensation limit is complied with. It's all good.

We had about 50-60 submissions for IMC2013, and we selected the best of the best, leaving 16 stories and poems. If IMC2014 only has 12 amazing short stories and poems, then that's what we'll go with. If we don't have at least 10 wonderful stories and poems, then we'll push the deadline back even more and promote the book more. One thing I will not do, is put out a publication that I'm not happy with, or that I'm "settling" for. Expect quality, every time.

Br!an
09-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I for one appreciate the extra time. I haven't written a story for over 30 years. My problem isn't having a story to tell, it's putting it down in a coherent and interesting form.

Well, it's that and procrastination. :arg:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-25-2013, 08:45 PM
I will definitely have a submission. I have finished the draft (about 6000 words) and am in the process of doing a rewrite, but I will definitely be submitting.

Merlin1958
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
That is not good news. Given how many submissions last time I would have thought you would have had more for this one.

Heaven Forbid!!! Get writing, my fellow TDT.Org' ers!!!!

CRinVA
09-27-2013, 05:25 AM
I'll submit - thanks for the extension. :-)

Shannon
09-27-2013, 09:59 PM
What artists do you want to see in In Mint Condition: 2014? Let me know! Number one on my personal list: Michael Whelan. I spoke with him in regards to In Mint Condition: 2013 and he was very excited about the project, but unfortunately he was --understandably-- too busy at the moment. I haven't gotten back in touch with him yet, but he is definitely on my list. Another artist I would love to work with is H.R. Giger. Unbelievably talented and unique.

If you have a favorite non-professional/non-"known" artist, let me know! Point me in his or her direction! For example, Sergiy Krykun was an artist that had done some work for foreign publishers before, but I had only come across his work on deviantART. And the illustration he did for IMC2013 is absolutely amazing. I can't wait for you all to see it.

Some of the artists from IMC2013 will be returning for the second volume. Not going to name names yet, just know that it will not be a complete artist rotation.

Randall Flagg
09-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Darek Kocurek (http://www.darekkocurek.com/)(he did the art for the site's banner, and for the dt.org t-shirts).

Merlin1958
09-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Darek Kocurek (http://www.darekkocurek.com/)(he did the art for the site's banner, and for the dt.org t-shirts).

Good call!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Finished my story last night.:biggrin1: Now to just polish it up a little and I'll be sending it to you soon Shannon.

Ben Staad
09-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Finished my story last night.:biggrin1: Now to just polish it up a little and I'll be sending it to you soon Shannon.

Ari_Racing
09-30-2013, 05:01 AM
Mark Stutzman.

Meagan J
10-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I just finished my first short story. I want to read it over a few times, maybe do some polishing and then I'll submit it. I'm so glad you extended the deadline! :) I thought I was cutting it pretty close!

George at C-Springs
10-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Wrote mine this afternoon, came in at 6250 words ... need a couple of volunteer reviewers. Anyone?

Shannon, I was surprised that you extended the deadline ... good deal.

Jean
10-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Mine is currently 5,330 words (twice as long as Excelsior! was). I'll try to make it shorter. That's, I believe, what we've been given this additional time for.

Merlin1958
10-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear of more submissions!!!

I'd be honored to lend my meager abilities to anyone seeking a second opinion/review. PM me!!!

Shannon
10-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Man, I should extend the deadline every year, lol.

Randall Flagg
10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Wrote mine this afternoon, came in at 6250 words ... need a couple of volunteer reviewers. Anyone?

Shannon, I was surprised that you extended the deadline ... good deal.
I'll read it.

stkmw02
10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Just finished my story... but not quite ready to submit it yet. I definitely had fun with it!

Shannon
10-15-2013, 01:58 AM
How's everyone doing with their stories and poems? We have been getting in quite a number of submissions daily and I feel the need to stress one important requirement:

UNPUBLISHED WORKS ONLY. ONLINE COUNTS.

Thank you.

Remember, November 9th is the deadline! That's less than a month from now. If your story is close or unpolished, work work work on it until it's done.

Get published. Become an Ambannon Author.

Tim TGC Villa
10-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I probably missed it, but what is the preferred way to submit an entry for the competition? I found out about this via the SKC group at Facebook, and as an unpublished author( thus far) I am extremely interested. Thanks in advance.

Ben Staad
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
"Submissions: Please send your submissions and/or any questions/comments to shannon@ambannonbooks.com. All submissions must be formatted as a Microsoft Word document. We are not accepting artwork submissions at this point."

I probably missed it, but what is the preferred way to submit an entry for the competition? I found out about this via the SKC group at Facebook, and as an unpublished author( thus far) I am extremely interested. Thanks in advance.

Best of luck!

Tim TGC Villa
10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
"Submissions: Please send your submissions and/or any questions/comments to shannon@ambannonbooks.com. All submissions must be formatted as a Microsoft Word document. We are not accepting artwork submissions at this point."

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Shannon
10-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Two things.

One, we have now received more submissions than last year.

Two, David J. Fielding, the actor that played Zordon on the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers TV show, sent us a short story for consideration. Marvelously random. :)

Rachel Readman
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Go go Power Rangers!!!

Lauterer
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
When can i order my copy for next years inmintcondition????

AdyShearer
10-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Hello,

Found this through FB a while ago.
I want to ask two things.

1. What's the minimum number of words admitted?
2. Could I submit a dialogue only story?

Shannon
10-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Hello. Send me your finished, polished story and we'll see what happens.

Randall Flagg
10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
The new member only has one post. They cannot send a Private Message until they have 5 posts.
I suggest they email you:
shannon@ambannonbooks.com

Shannon
10-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the assistance. :)

Hannah
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
I finally finished my bitch of a story. I got inspired by one of my random bursts of curiousity during the day and decided to write something completely out of my comfort zone. And now I have to make it shiny so I can submit it.

AdyShearer
10-24-2013, 05:41 PM
The new member only has one post. They cannot send a Private Message until they have 5 posts.

I knew about the email, but I didn't want to bother him with such a simple matter. :P

Bad Penny
10-25-2013, 01:37 AM

I knew about the email, but I didn't want to bother him with such a simple matter. :P

Shannon loves to be bothered - but please, for your own safety, ensure that your email punctuation is above reproach and that words such as there, their and they're are used in the proper context :P

Randall Flagg
10-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Shannon loves to be bothered - but please, for your own safety, ensure that your email punctuation is above reproach and that words such as there, their and they're are used in the proper context :p
Sage advice. You're email punctuation and spelling are important if you want the story to get their.:wink:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Shannon loves to be bothered - but please, for your own safety, ensure that your email punctuation is above reproach and that words such as there, their and they're are used in the proper context :p
Sage advice. You're email punctuation and spelling are important if you want the story to get their.:wink:

Get wear?

Merlin1958
10-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Get wear?

Why, they're, of course!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Of coarse, I new that.

Merlin1958
10-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Of coarse, I new that.

LOL Of coarse!!!

George at C-Springs
11-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Hey Shannon, can I get a "Yea, verily, submissions received"? Sent two in last night following final suggestions from my editorial staff (you know who you are!). Might have the third rewritten for Saturday, we'll see.

Come on people, only 3 days to (the latest) deadline!

Merlin1958
11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Georgie-boy has some righteous material!!!

George at C-Springs
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Georgie-boy has some righteous material!!!

Wow ... haven't heard 'righteous' since ... Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? :biggrin:

And just when (and how?) did I become Georgie-boy?!

Merlin1958
11-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Ahhh, You're my "Georgie-Boy"!!! LOL LOL

George at C-Springs
11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Ok, ummm ... love you too grandpa.

stkmw02
11-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Now I'm picturing Bill playing with a chemistry set in a basement...

George at C-Springs
11-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Crazy white hair, black glasses, glass vials with smoke rising out of them? Me too!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Doc.png

Ya know, there's probably a story there; hmmm, still plenty of time (ha ha) .....

stkmw02
11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
I was thinking more like this...
http://www.pscelebrities.com/ebayp/ebay1019/mun2.JPG

Merlin1958
11-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Ok, ummm ... love you too grandpa.

Crazy white hair, black glasses, glass vials with smoke rising out of them? Me too!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Doc.png

Ya know, there's probably a story there; hmmm, still plenty of time (ha ha) .....

I was thinking more like this...
http://www.pscelebrities.com/ebayp/ebay1019/mun2.JPG

LOL You two are cracking me up!! LOL

I was just fooling about, George!!!

Shannon
11-10-2013, 09:14 AM
... and the window for accepting submissions for In Mint Condition: 2014 is now closed.

We have 132 submissions from all over the world.

I have personally read about half of them so far. Amber and Hannah are around the same place, maybe a little further.

A few weeks from now we will have our Table of Contents and send out our accept/decline emails. Thank you.

Randall Flagg
11-10-2013, 09:58 AM
That's a lot of submissions. Congratulations.
Now just ship the 2013 books:lol1:

Merlin1958
11-10-2013, 03:59 PM
That's a lot of submissions. Congratulations.
Now just ship the 2013 books:lol1:

Whip-ash!!! :wtf:

Shannon
11-10-2013, 04:40 PM
- Trade Paperbacks received, inspected, orders with just paperbacks packaged and ready (including reviewers)
- Signed, Limited Hardcovers haven't arrived yet.
- I will be shipping both at the same time.

Br!an
11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Your web sight says that there are still a dozen copies of the limited hardcover edition still available.

Is that accurate?

Robert Fulman
11-10-2013, 07:01 PM
You're holding review copies until you receive the hardcovers?

Shannon
11-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes and yes. :)

mattgreenbean
11-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Congrats on the many submissions!

Shannon
11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.peterdraws.com

:)

Ben Staad
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Dizzying but in a good way.

http://www.peterdraws.com

:)

Ari_Racing
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Quick question:

Will accept/decline emails be sent before 2014?

Thanks!

Shannon
12-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Quick question:

Will accept/decline emails be sent before 2014?

Thanks!

Yes.
Old Mayan calendar, or new Mayan calendar?

Shannon
12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Both, simultaneously.

George at C-Springs
12-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Only 9 days to go ... you planning on making it a New Year's Eve announcement?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
I have anxiety. I need an email.

Shannon
12-23-2013, 01:49 AM
New Year's Eve sounds about right. ;)

stkmw02
12-24-2013, 03:14 AM
gah! I found an artist to create dolls based on my story... I need to know if I'm in so I can start merchandizing! ;)

George at C-Springs
12-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Tick - Tick - Tick - Tick

Br!an
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Right?

On the bright side, we haven't been rejected yet.

Randall Flagg
12-29-2013, 12:02 PM
If it is New Years Eve, as mentioned, you are going to tick for another 48+ hours.

George at C-Springs
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Intel from an intercepted Shannon sext message:

"Let's try something different; I want to put in ... here."
"I don't know if that's a good idea; it might not feel right."
"Aw c'mon, let's try it ... just once. I'll take it right out if it doesn't fit."
"I don't know Shannon ... that's a strange idea."
"You know I like strange. C'mon. Let's do it. Are you ready?"
"Well .... okay. Just once. You want to put it in, or do you want me to do it?"
"I love it when you talk dirty."
"Shut up Shannon, I'm tired and we 're on a deadline. Just cut and paste the damned thing; it's only a table of contents, it shouldn't take this long to get done."
"You're right, sorry. I need to update the website today too; I heard that Stephen King himself got ahold of a copy of IMC 2013, then when he went to the site to read up on us, we didn't even have a "Yay! First Publication!" announcement posted."
"Yeah, that was kinda dumb. You should listen to that George in C-Springs guy more often."
"I know, I know."
"Plus he's kinda hot."
"Yeah, I kn .... wait a minute, what?"

Merlin1958
12-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Intel from an intercepted Shannon sext message:

"Aw c'mon, let's try it ... just once. I'll take it right out if it doesn't fit."
"Shut up Shannon, I'm tired and we 're on a deadline. Just cut and paste the damned thing; it's only a table of contents, it shouldn't take this long to get done."
"You're right, sorry. I need to update the website today too; I heard that Stephen King himself got ahold of a copy of IMC 2013, then when he went to the site to read up on us, we didn't even have a "Yay! First Publication!" announcement posted."
"Yeah, that was kinda dumb. You should listen to that George in C-Springs guy more often."
"I know, I know."
"Plus he's kinda hot."

Oh, my Lord, that was great!! LOL LOL

Shannon
12-29-2013, 08:28 PM
The funny thing is George actually did intercept a message from myself to Hannah, but unfortunately for everyone involved, the above message was nothing like the real one, lol.

Hannah
12-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Or fortunately for everyone involved, the message sounded nothing like that. Hahaha.

George at C-Springs
12-29-2013, 10:23 PM
"I know, I know."
"Plus he's kinda hot."

My version was much more entertaining!

Shannon
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Tick

George at C-Springs
12-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Tease.

Shannon
12-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Tick

almost there

remember, I live in las vegas ...

George at C-Springs
12-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Yay! Got my first rejection notice ... waiting on the second! Good thing I'm drinking already!

Shannon
12-31-2013, 08:27 PM
In Mint Condition: 2014
Table of Contents

1. "Ambush" by Carlene Gray
2. "Blood and Riverwater" by Hannah O'Connor
3. "Buddy Holly and the Cold, Cold Ground" by David J. Fielding
4. "Cyber Love" by Charmaine Pauls
5. "Deft" by Aaron Max Jensen
6. "The Dollhouse Hypothesis" by Jean Melkovsky
7. "The Doom that Came to Roanoke" by John E. Petty
8. "The Ghost of Bone Mill and the Infinite Man" by Thomas Cranham
9. "It's the Little Things" by Jon Messenger
10. "Madison Men" by David France
11. "Miners" by Ross Peterson
12. "A Mother's Love" by Jeremy Gooch
13. "My Crush is Dead" by Dana Suddarth
14. "Of Cats and Women" by Nicki Scalise
15. "A Question of Will" by David Swearingen
16. "Slice" by G. Howell White
17. "Speak" by Jan Falvey
18. "Teething Terror" by Krystle-Dawn M. Willing

Meagan J
12-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Yay! Got my first rejection notice ... waiting on the second! Good thing I'm drinking already!

You are in good company, I just got my first ever rejection notice! :)

George at C-Springs
12-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Happy dance for #16! I got my first rejection and acceptance notices on the same day! Congrats everyone, and Happy New Year! (1 hr 20 minutes to go here)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Glad to be involved in this book. By my count, there are 4 of the previous authors in the second book? Is that correct? I did not expect to be accepted this time. Thank you.

Jean
01-01-2014, 06:37 AM
accepted!!! ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/poohbear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/poohbear.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/poohbear.gif.html)

Ari_Racing
01-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Congratulations all!

Ben Staad
01-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Great job everyone and congrats.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Is there poetry in this one? Whats the breakdown? Stories vs. Poems.

George at C-Springs
01-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Congrats Browning/Jean!

Glad to be involved in this book. By my count, there are 4 of the previous authors in the second book? Is that correct? I did not expect to be accepted this time. Thank you.

I count six ... Hannah, David, Krystle, Jean, Jeremy, and Thomas. Just curious, as I don't know everyone's real name vs avatar name; how many of the 2014 authors are members of TDT? And who are they, so we can say congratulations!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2014, 10:19 AM
I am Jeremy Gooch.

Jean
01-01-2014, 10:35 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/Picture161-2.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Messages/Picture161-2.jpg.html)

Meagan J
01-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Congrats everyone! and Happy New Year!

divemaster
01-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm David Swearingen, and thrilled to be a part of the second installation of In Mint Condition. I've only written two stories in my life and, well, I've surprised myself by both of them making the cut.

Shannon
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
There are six returning authors from the first edition. I can't mention who is or isn't a member of the website, as it's up to them to reveal themselves.

The breakdown is 0 poems and 18 short stories. The poems this year just didn't wow any of us, unfortunately. But maybe it's for the best. We'll see.

We received quite a lot of short stories and poems (not included in the 133 final submission count) that were already published online or in print, so that might be a reason for the nonexistent poem count as well.

And one more note, this should go without saying, but Hannah (our lovely assistant editor) wasn't allowed to vote on Aaron Max Jensen's or her own story due to conflict of interest, only Amber and I were, so ... there's that.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Well Tabula Rasa was in my top two for the last book, so I am sure Hannah's is superb.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Are you going to try to do one piece of art per story again?

George at C-Springs
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Are you going to try to do one piece of art per story again?

Hope so, the art really added to the stories and made the book pop!

The breakdown is 0 poems and 18 short stories. The poems this year just didn't wow any of us, unfortunately. But maybe it's for the best. We'll see.

You know, I've never been a fan of poems at all, so even though I submitted a quasi-poem (my rejected one) I can't say I'm disappointed that it will only be short stories. Love short stories!

There are six returning authors from the first edition. I can't mention who is or isn't a member of the website, as it's up to them to reveal themselves.
Hope they do! I'm G. Howell White, "Slice" is mine.

Hannah
01-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Congrats to everyone! I had such a wonderful time reading all of the submissions. I feel lucky that I got to be a part of the process.

biomieg
01-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Congrats everyone! I bailed out of submitting stories and artwork for both 2013 and 2014 but I'm definitely going to do something for the 2015 edition! Even if I'm not a native English speaker (and writer!)... Jean did it, so....

Shannon
01-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Well if Jean can do it ... ;)

Yes, each story will be illustrated.

biomieg
01-01-2014, 07:21 PM
And Ari of course!!!

Br!an
01-02-2014, 05:31 AM
Congratulations everyone.

I better get to writing if I want to be included next year!

fernandito
01-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Congratulations to everyone, truly. Even though I wasn't a part of this one I brag to everyone I know that you guys were able to come together and pull this off. Can't wait to get my copy and experience the epicness for myself. :)

Shannon
01-03-2014, 12:55 AM
And now two things will be happening at once:

1) On the short story side: The editors and I will be working with the authors on proofreading and polishing their short stories.

and

2) On the artwork side: The artist search continues until we have eighteen total (twenty if two of our artists can't pull double duty with the covers), and we will be matching up stories with artists and they will start working their magic.

I guess it is time to start revealing the wonderful artists that have so graciously accepted to be a part of In Mint Condition: 2014. I have already revealed one, so here is a better look:

Artist Number One: Peter Deligdisch
Website (http://www.peterdraws.com)

http://static.squarespace.com/static/528ce55ce4b0baede6cf5cb7/528ce942e4b0ef8d92c45775/528d1376e4b0c5b829f74da5/1384977287076/1476571_621134894599720_1767876140_n.png?format=75 0w

http://static.squarespace.com/static/528ce55ce4b0baede6cf5cb7/528ce942e4b0ef8d92c45775/528d1297e4b010d992032b16/1384977050669/1380500_607505975962612_1598080921_n.jpg?format=50 0w

http://static.squarespace.com/static/528ce55ce4b0baede6cf5cb7/528ce942e4b0ef8d92c45775/528d12c0e4b0c5b829f74bf7/1384977090093/1454925_621134444599765_1938442329_n.jpg?format=50 0w

http://static.squarespace.com/static/528ce55ce4b0baede6cf5cb7/528ce942e4b0ef8d92c45775/528d12fbe4b0c5b829f74c57/1384977151974/1471876_621136861266190_402096203_n.jpg?format=500 w

http://static.squarespace.com/static/528ce55ce4b0baede6cf5cb7/528f8e22e4b04c46c455c022/529b8647e4b0c5f2207f6461/1385924183239/tLB8y1r.png?format=1000w

George at C-Springs
01-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Very cool, I like that style of ink art ... I'm sure it's got a name, I don't know what it is, but I'd guess middle eastern pattern influences.

Hey Shannon, here's a question for you; do you plan on branching out to another form of publication such as a magazine (monthly, quarterly, whatever) where the artists and authors will be paid, or is the immediate plan to keep doing what you're doing with the annual anthologies?

If anthologies, any plan for a larger 'mainstream' distribution, such as Amazon (where putting it up as an e-book would not be a bad idea at all), Barnes & Noble, etc? Let's face it, every one of us aspiring writers want our stories to reach as many people as possible so that we get more interest, more readers, and eventually 'the call'. We want to go international, baby! (that should be done in a Dick Vitale voice, by the way)

Shannon
01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
I love the detailed style of it. VERY interested to see what he will do with an actual subject matter. Excited.

I'm not at liberty to go into our plans too soon, but let's just say that a magazine is out of the question for the moment. Too many moving parts going all the time for just one guy. One day, I'd love to, Just not today. 2014 will be a year full of surprises from Ambannon Books.

All of our books will be available on amazon.com. IMC2013 will be there soon. IMC2013 has "gone international" and IMC2014 will as well.

George, my goal is to reach as many people as possible as well. It's a slow process.

What "call" are you looking for exactly?

George at C-Springs
01-03-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm not at liberty to go into our plans too soon, but let's just say that a magazine is out of the question for the moment. Too many moving parts going all the time for just one guy. One day, I'd love to, Just not today. 2014 will be a year full of surprises from Ambannon Books.

All of our books will be available on amazon.com. IMC2013 will be there soon. IMC2013 has "gone international" and IMC2014 will as well.

Very cool! We like surprises too.

What "call" are you looking for exactly?

"Dear Mr/Ms (insert your name here),

We greatly enjoyed reading your story (insert your story title here) recently published in IMC 20XX, and would be interested in reading more of your original work with a goal of inclusion in our publication (insert your favorite one here)."

Yeah, I know it doesn't really work like that, but that's the dream!

Shannon
01-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Your dream is to be included in another publication? I think I'm a little confused here, lol.

George at C-Springs
01-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Your dream is to be included in another publication? I think I'm a little confused here, lol.

Well, after making Ambannon Books a household name and getting on as an assistant editor, of course ... that goes without saying! Can't get to publishing that magazine without a bigger staff!

Shannon
01-03-2014, 09:24 AM
OK, how about this:

Dear Mr. White,

We greatly enjoyed reading your story ("Slice"), recently sent to us by ... you, and would be interested in reading more of your original work for publication in later anthologies ... and we will be publishing "Slice" in In Mint Condition: 2014.

Sincerely,
Shannon John
Ambannon Books, publisher
In Mint Condition: 2014, editor

Better? lol

George at C-Springs
01-03-2014, 10:09 AM
OK, how about this:

Dear Mr. White,

We greatly enjoyed reading your story ("Slice"), recently sent to us by ... you, and would be interested in reading more of your original work for publication in later anthologies ... and we will be publishing "Slice" in In Mint Condition: 2014.

Sincerely,
Shannon John
Ambannon Books, publisher
In Mint Condition: 2014, editor

Better? lol

:dance::rock::excited::nana::excited::rock::dance:

Shannon
01-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Artist Number Two: Erik Wilson
Website (http://www.erikwilson.com)

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/8960/prrd.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7726/zeis.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/9584/9ghw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/6973/48ri.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/4255/vfkc.jpg

divemaster
01-06-2014, 06:26 AM
I've never heard of that Peter Deligdisch guy but I really like those samples you posted. And Erik Wilson is a good choice also.

:thumbsup:

Shannon
01-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Everyone is unknown at one point or another. And some people are of course more "known" than others. Having "names" attached to the publication is always a good thing, but the very first thing I look for is quality and uniqueness.

Ravenstone
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm very pleased and excited to be part of this project. The table of contents look great, and I can't wait to read the other stories in the anthology. As well, the first two artists Shannon has shared with us are outstanding, and I'm looking forward to seeing work from the rest. In this day and age of electronic publishing, I think it's wonderful that Shannon and his team are dedicated to the good old fashioned medium of print. There's just something about an actual, physical book that transcends the contents and makes the experience of reading somehow more special. I love my Nook, but I don't know what I'd do without actual physical books.

My name is John Petty, and my story is "The Doom that Came to Roanoke," inspired by my great affection for all things H.P. Lovecraft.

George at C-Springs
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Welcome to group John! Are you an SK fan/collector as well? Be prepared to answer lots of questions and post photos of the answer is "yes".

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
my story is "The Doom that Came to Roanoke," inspired by my great affection for all things H.P. Lovecraft.

Well, you have my attention.

Ravenstone
01-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Hi George:

Thanks for asking. I've been a huge King fan since about age 15, when I first read CARRIE while working in a small bookstore. I particularly like his earlier stuff; favorites includes 'SALEM'S LOT, DIFFERENT SEASONS, DANSE MACABRE, and PET SEMATARY.

I haven't gotten into collecting as much, simply because I collect too many other things: comic books, movie posters, original comic art, Japanese ukiyo-e prints, anything Godzilla related, Lovecraft stuff, Gnome Press books, vintage action figures... the list goes on. Although I will say that seeing the mention of various S/L editions on this list has piqued my interest.

George at C-Springs
01-07-2014, 08:09 AM
I haven't gotten into collecting as much, simply because I collect too many other things: comic books, movie posters, original comic art, Japanese ukiyo-e prints, anything Godzilla related, Lovecraft stuff, Gnome Press books, vintage action figures... the list goes on. Although I will say that seeing the mention of various S/L editions on this list has piqued my interest.

Man, are you going to fit in around here. By chance does anyone else collect comic books, movie posters, comic art, Godzilla, Lovecraft, action figures ... remarques, roman coins, stamps, antique weapons, Star Trek, Star Wars, Stephen King art ......

Can I get an 'aye'?

Ravenstone
01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Roman coin collecting is something I'd love to get into if I had the money. My wife and I have bought a few sets of those "uncleaned Roman coins," and though we've never found a treasure, we've had fun cleaning them off and identifying them as best we could. I love having that kind of physical touchstone with history. When I was writing my Robin Hood novel, a friend hooked me up with a beautiful Crusader's silver penny. It was awesome to be able to hold that kind of history in my hand as I wrote about people from that time.

Tito_Villa
01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Robin Hood novel, interesting, my Dad lives in Sherwood Forest!

Ravenstone
01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
That's very cool. I've always wanted to visit that part of England.

herbertwest
01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
25 years ago, Richard Chizmar started somewhere ;)

George at C-Springs
01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Roman coin collecting is something I'd love to get into if I had the money. My wife and I have bought a few sets of those "uncleaned Roman coins," and though we've never found a treasure, we've had fun cleaning them off and identifying them as best we could. I love having that kind of physical touchstone with history. When I was writing my Robin Hood novel, a friend hooked me up with a beautiful Crusader's silver penny. It was awesome to be able to hold that kind of history in my hand as I wrote about people from that time.

I lived in Italy for five years and was right down the road from Aquileia, which used to be (before getting flattened by Attila the Hun) the third biggest port city in Italy ... and they had a mint. I had visited the museum there and saw their coin collection of Aquileia-minted coins, and then bought one of those same you-clean-'em bags, and that was the beginning of that. Except for a few oddities (like a Marc Antony Battle of Actium denarius from 31 BC) my entire collection is Aquileia mint only.

Shannon
01-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Artist Number Three: Darek Kocurek!
Website (http://www.darekkocurek.com)

http://imageshack.com/a/img513/4641/084w.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img15/2024/b5ce.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img14/5113/h7r2.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img34/8595/bmou.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img199/2784/r9kv.jpg

George at C-Springs
01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
That's awesome Shannon, I love his work ... congrats.

stroppygoblin
01-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Wow he's great! :clap: that Train station in Lud is just superb.

Stockerlone
01-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Congrats, Darek is an AMAZING artist !!!

Br!an
01-10-2014, 04:20 AM
I like that a lot! Very cool!

Randall Flagg
01-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Kocurek is great. He has been very kind to our site.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Wow, can I request Kocurek.? Haha jk. I look forward to any artists interpretation.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Actually, I'd like to be the first to formally request whelan.

Ravenstone
01-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Kocurek's art is spectacular. I particularly like his use of color, and how he creates mood with an overall monochromatic theme. Where did you find him, Shannon?

Shannon
01-11-2014, 08:40 PM
He did a lot of the artwork for this website, and he always does Stephen King-related projects. I love his work, and I'm very excited to see what he comes up with for IMC2014!

Dan
01-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Those are amazing pieces!

Cook
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Shannon,
Do you have a projection $$ for the next S/L IMC

(my apologies if it was previously posted)

Shannon
01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
I do not. I'd like to keep it around the same price, potentially a little higher due to more stories and artwork.

Shannon
01-17-2014, 02:12 AM
Artist Reveal Number Four: Emily Hall!
Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/emily.hall.334)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/27/wli8.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/14/o09x.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/547/1n48.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/833/p87z.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/31/49r0.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/546/nqe8.jpg

Shannon
01-17-2014, 02:26 AM
And ... I'm able to update the website! YYYAAAAYYYY!!!!! I did a little bit of work on it, but it's now time for bed. More work to be done tomorrow.

Br!an
01-17-2014, 06:20 AM
And ... I'm able to update the website! YYYAAAAYYYY!!!!! I did a little bit of work on it, but it's not time for bed. More work to be done tomorrow.

Congratulations! Every time I went on there it was like déjà vu all over again!

divemaster
01-17-2014, 07:57 AM
And ... I'm able to update the website! YYYAAAAYYYY!!!!! I did a little bit of work on it, but it's not time for bed. More work to be done tomorrow.

The text "The Signed, Limited Hardcover Edition officially sold out on January 16th, 2013." should of course read 2014. And I suggest underlining this sentence. Or, down at the order form mention that the hardcover is "SOLD OUT."

Shannon
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks! Correction being made now.

George at C-Springs
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Congratulations! Every time I went on there it was like déjà vu all over again!

The text "The Signed, Limited Hardcover Edition officially sold out on January 16th, 2013." should of course read 2014. And I suggest underlining this sentence. Or, down at the order form mention that the hardcover is "SOLD OUT."

See Shannon, it wasn't just me! (although I'm sure I'm in the running for biggest PITA)

Speaking of which ... I'd suggest adding some photos, exterior and interior, of the hardcover in the Publications section (because when you click on the hardcover link you get the paperback). Maybe show some more of the artwork? Also, perhaps a "thank you" list to the advertisers who took a shot on a first-time publisher?

Come on man, now that you've got access again you should be spending 24 hours a day updating, right !?! (heh heh)

Shannon
01-18-2014, 11:50 PM
An eBay listing will begin tomorrow and run for five days. You will want to check it out.

Link coming soon.

Shannon
01-19-2014, 03:59 PM
In Mint Condition: 2014 Uncorrected Unrevised Proof - ONE OF ONE - Ambannon Books (http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Mint-Condition-2014-Uncorrected-Unrevised-Proof-ONE-OF-ONE-Ambannon-Books-/121258150310?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item1c3b8c89a6)

Shannon
01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Artist Reveal Number Five: Erin Wells!
Website (http://www.erinwells.com)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/13/8bqo.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/833/08gl.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/580/wekn.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/854/ijjv.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/560/le1e.jpg

George at C-Springs
01-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Artist Reveal Number Five: Erin Wells!

Yay!

bdwyer19
01-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Congrats! LOVE Erin's work!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
I have the original to the last one.:clap:

Shannon
01-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Artist Reveal Number Six: Alex McVey!
Website (http://www.alexmcvey.com)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/585/eaq8.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/30/gwib.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/571/sn6o.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/824/5y4c.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/823/wjs1.jpg

Ravenstone
01-24-2014, 05:48 AM
Love this. Alex's pen and ink work in particular is spectacular, with a sort of Dore/Wrightson vibe to it. He's a great addition to this project.

George at C-Springs
01-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Is nobody curious who won the IMC 2014 1/1 Proof? (hint hint)

Fine, I'll do the happy dance all by my damn self. :nana:

Shannon, as this one looks to be spiral bound I might actually read the damn thing and give you feedback before proofreading and publication! Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but I'll give it a shot.

Shannon
01-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Congratulations George! I didn't want to announce it myself, as that's a little rude, lol.

Yep, spiral-bound and easily tear-up-able, so have fun! ;)

George at C-Springs
01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Yep, spiral-bound and easily tear-up-able, so have fun!

Tear up a proof?

Infidel.

stroppygoblin
01-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Congrats George!

George at C-Springs
01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Started the collection last year, so figured might as well keep it going! This will make it the 2013 paperback, S/L, 1/1 proof, pdf proof, and 1/5 PC; and the 2014 1/1 proof, paperback, and S/L (at least). I'll say it again, I need one of you guys/gals to become the next SK so my kids' college will be paid for!!!

Yeah right, as if I'd ever sell :smile:

Stebbins
01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Artist Number Two: Erik Wilson
Website (http://www.erikwilson.com)

http://imageshack.us/a/img36/8960/prrd.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/7726/zeis.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/9584/9ghw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/6973/48ri.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/4255/vfkc.jpg

This is gonna be great!

George at C-Springs
01-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Got this in the mail today ... may just start reading tonight!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG1121.jpg

Shannon
01-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Artist Reveal Number Seven: Rachel Readman!
Website (http://www.rachelreadman.com)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/11/42fc.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/22/0e17.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/35/wwyh.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/844/f2ud.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/836/tcma.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/811/jwo8.jpg

divemaster
01-30-2014, 01:47 AM
Yay!

Merlin1958
01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Now she (Ms. Readman), is an extremely awesome addition, Shannon!!! Great job!!!

bdwyer19
01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
You've lined up some seriously talented artists, Shannon. Well done!!