PDA

View Full Version : Under The Dome

Pages : [1] 2

RUBE
06-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I was surprised to find that there was not already a discussion thread for the CBS adaption of Under The Dome. I know there is a news thread under the Oracle but I figured this was a better place for actual discussion of the show's content.

So what did you think of the first episode? There have already been some big departures from the source material. Did they bother you? Where do you think they are going with the changes?

Mattrick
06-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I'll watch when the season is done. Mondays are wrestling days. Hope I hear good things.

WeDealInLead
06-25-2013, 04:45 AM
I liked it a lot. I'm OK with the changes too. I know I'll be tuning in next Monday.

The time slot is a little unfortunate because they were competing against two other S.F. shows.

mae
06-25-2013, 05:53 AM
The time slot is a little unfortunate because they were competing against two other S.F. shows.

That's why God invented the DVR. It's been ages since I've had to care about time slots and channels.

Iwritecode
06-25-2013, 06:26 AM
I actually had low expectations but I think I liked it. I definitely want to stick with it through the first season to see where they go with it.

I'm not sure I like the way they are portraying Barbie's character to start with. The lesbian couple with Norrie as their daughter threw me off for a few minutes too.

They seemed to gloss over the people that were in the plane that crashed as well. Did I miss it or was Andy Sanders introduced in the episode?

mae
06-25-2013, 07:12 AM
The pilot definitely had some Lost-esque quality to it.

Bev Vincent
06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Someone asked me to repost my review, so here it is: http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/news-dead-zone-book-screen-under-dome

Bryant Burnette
06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Did I miss it or was Andy Sanders introduced in the episode?

You did not miss it. I assume that he has been eliminated from the story. Fine by me, because he was one of my least favorite parts of the book.

CyberGhostface
06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
It's alright. Didn't blow me out of the water.

Not crazy about how Junior seems to be toned down from the book; here he's more pathetic than scary. I'm excited about Dean Norris but I can't see him as Big Jim yet.

The biracial lesbian couple kind of came off to me as a hamfisted attempt at being "progressive" given the comments from the producers (and I'm speaking as a gay rights advocate, it's not the concept but the execution).

As I've said elsewhere, I'm a bit concerned about the "series" approach. It's not like Lost where they can get off the island halfway through the show. You really can't change the status quo here because once the Dome is gone there's nothing left to do and I feel stretching out the book's narrative for several seasons as opposed to having the shit hit the fan early on will only make it stagnant.

RUBE
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Seems like they are almost toying with the book readers by taking things you expect to happen, hinting that it was going to, but then going another way. For example, the fight between Barbie and Junior and Junior capturing not killing his "girlfriend."

They have also acknowledged the existence of several characters with decent sized parts in the book but then put them outside the dome. I am guessing this is a way to honor the character but save on the payroll of having them in multiple episodes.

Another thing I noticed was the lack of religious commentary so far. Sure Big Jim said something in his announcement but did you notice it was Sunday morning and no one was in church? Also, the radio station is now a rock station instead of a Christian station and we did not meet the crazy preacher. It may show up in future episodes but I am guessing that CBS was nervous about the way King portrayed the religious characters so they are going to avoid it. To be honest, I am fine with it if they do because it was a little much.

mtdman
06-25-2013, 03:25 PM
I didn't see it, we went to cedar point on Monday. Do they have a repeat schedule?

And if CBS changed the series to eliminate King's bitter political statements that made the book horrible, I may like the show.

RichardHawes
06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Interesting enough the ratings came in extremely high against both WWE Raw and The NHL Finals...13.1 million viewers

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/25/under-the-dome-ratings-big/

The pilot is also being officially replayed here

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/

johnsmith87
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I didn't see it, we went to cedar point on Monday. Do they have a repeat schedule?

And if CBS changed the series to eliminate King's bitter political statements that made the book horrible, I may like the show.

Give me a break, his political statements were not "bitter", and if you think a line or two you don't agree with makes a 1,000 page book "horrible" then you need thicker skin. As a matter of fact, the only political statements in the show were of a conservative nature, as one character remarks that the dome couldn't have been built by the government because it actually works. Sit back, relax and enjoy the episode.

Garrell
06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Really liked it and my girlfriend did also (she has not read the book).

RichardHawes
06-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Give me a break, his political statements were not "bitter", and if you think a line or two you don't agree with makes a 1,000 page book "horrible" then you need thicker skin. As a matter of fact, the only political statements in the show were of a conservative nature, as one character remarks that the dome couldn't have been built by the government because it actually works. Sit back, relax and enjoy the episode.

Haha when Barbie said that I completely lost it...I thought that line was hilarious

tippy4
06-25-2013, 07:36 PM

It is available ON DEMAND if you have digital cable.

mae
06-25-2013, 09:05 PM
And on CBS.com.

Merlin1958
06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
So far, so good!!!! (Crosses fingers for the future). I'm very optimistic!!! FWIW, I thought the cow and the truck were especially good FX, IMHO!!!

mtdman
06-25-2013, 10:25 PM

More than a 'line or two'. And like I said, if they've made changes to get rid of that trash from the book, I might like the show.

That and the dumbass ending.

mae
06-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Trash? What was wrong with the book's political message? I found it was apt and on point.

Bryant Burnette
06-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Oh, good; political conversation...

Mattrick
06-26-2013, 01:52 AM
King didnt allow Under The Dome to get political...its a power hungry individual who takes advantage of scared and isolated people...just like Mrs Carmody in The Mist. The entire meth lab aspect sidelined the books chances at commentary and shortened the timeline. Imagine if the Dome showed up during election month....so much could have been done with the book, it was disappointing for that reason. If the TV Show is NOTHING like the book I will enjoy it a lot, more chance to explore more aspects of the situation.

Heather19
06-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I really enjoyed it. It's been forever since I read the book, maybe that's good since I can't remember all the changes being made. My only concern is the thought of multiple seasons. I think it would be best to keep it short and sweet. Although by the end of the season maybe I'll change my mind on that and want more :lol:

tippy4
06-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Why didn't the cow leave a blood stain on either side of the dome?

Bryant Burnette
06-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Why didn't the cow leave a blood stain on either side of the dome?

Because it was a really, really bad effect.

tippy4
06-26-2013, 08:28 PM
I thought it was a good effect...they just overlooked one detail.

mae
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
I thought the cow effect was stellar.

Bryant Burnette
06-26-2013, 11:49 PM
To the best of my knowledge, cows' insides do not look like gummy bears dipped in raspberry sauce. I am no expert, though; still, it looked fake as could be to my eyes.

Not that it makes that big a difference. It was a cool idea, and the scene still works. I kinda miss poor Mr. Woodchuck, but a bifurcated cow is a good replacement.

Bev Vincent
06-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Are you sure it was an effect? I hear they had a steak dinner that day on the set...

Heather19
06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
To the best of my knowledge, cows' insides do not look like gummy bears dipped in raspberry sauce. I am no expert, though; still, it looked fake as could be to my eyes.

Not that it makes that big a difference. It was a cool idea, and the scene still works. I kinda miss poor Mr. Woodchuck, but a bifurcated cow is a good replacement.

:lol: I agree. I thought the same thing. Where was his brain or bones? It was just red goo.

mae
06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Maybe smeared because of the whole being sliced by the dome thing?

Bryant Burnette
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Are you sure it was an effect? I hear they had a steak dinner that day on the set...

Mmm...steak...

Merlin1958
06-27-2013, 03:46 PM

That was my take on it. Irf you really give it thought, it's not like a knife or other cutting blade where the cutting implement does it's damage and leaves the remains. The Dome (The cutting instrument) remained intact and in place causing the remains to slide down resulting in the smearing of blood over what would normally be considered the "details", if you catch my drift. I thought it was well thought out IMO.

mtdman
06-29-2013, 05:06 PM

That was my take on it. Irf you really give it thought, it's not like a knife or other cutting blade where the cutting implement does it's damage and leaves the remains. The Dome (The cutting instrument) remained intact and in place causing the remains to slide down resulting in the smearing of blood over what would normally be considered the "details", if you catch my drift. I thought it was well thought out IMO.

I thought the cow effect was cool. As was the truck smashing into the dome. Overall I really dug the episode and enjoyed the show. I like the minor changes that were made. Although, I must admist Jr's 'interaction' with Angie in the book was pretty damned creepy and I was looking forward to seeing that. But the way the show changed that was actually pretty good.

I like the fact that Jeff Fehey is the sheriff. I have always liked him. Too bad he didn't last long. The guy that plays Big Jim is a lot more likeable than the audio portrayal as well. And the Schumway chick is far more likeable too.

Is the lesbian couple with the troubled daughter a complete fabrication for the show or are they meant to replace characters in the book? I can't remember all the side characters, I seem to remember a family in the book.

divemaster
06-29-2013, 05:10 PM
The lesbian couple is a new fabrication. Their daughter "Norrie" was the 13-year-old in the book that helped her teen friends Scarecrow Joe and Benny(?). Joe (now the brother of Angie!) and Norrie are obviously older for the TV show.

mae
06-30-2013, 03:38 AM
And Joe's last name is McAlister instead if McClatchey for some reason.

Bryant Burnette
06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
And Joe's last name is McAlister instead if McClatchey for some reason.

Might be a legal reason. Might also be because if you just hear the name "McClatchey," it sounds a little weird/unfamiliar. McAlister is a lot easier to wrap your brain around if you aren't actually seeing the name. I'd say it's probably a good change.

divemaster
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm curious how they are going to handle Rusty being outside the Dome. He played such a huge role in the novel.

Bryant Burnette
07-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a series to jump the shark as soon as its second episode, but doggone if Under the Dome doesn't seem to have done it. What a shitty episode.

Iwritecode
07-02-2013, 05:20 AM
They are moving slow, which I expected, but I didn't see anything wrong with the episode. I've liked it so far.

divemaster
07-02-2013, 06:08 AM
The episode blew. I assumed preacher Coggins intentionally set the house on fire as the scene was playing out. What else would he expect when you start a trash fire next to the curtains? But then he's all "oh no, the house is on fire" and tries to put it out? I'm not sure if that was bad plotting or bad acting, but it was bad.

And are we supposed to believe Barbie, who is obviously some sort of enforcer, would allow his dog tags to remain at the scene of the crime? It reminded me of the scene in True Romance where the mob enforcer is laughing at the fact that Clarence ("fuckhead") would have gotten away with it, but he left his driver's licence at the scene! Barbie is supposed to be the hero, or at least the respected protagonist. I don't want him portrayed as an incompetent fuckhead.

And why would that cop get all paranoid and weirded out like that? I'm not saying he couldn't, but the show gave no perspective or background. In a well-written show, character actions stem from some sort of background; not just appear out of the blue.

And that's also what seems to be going on with Junior. Why is he acting that way? In the book it was a combination of a sense of entitlement along with a brain tumor. Based on what we've seen so far, there's no clue or rationale for Junior's actions. According to Angie, he's never acted anything close to this since the third grade. I hope it does turn out to be a brain tumor in the show, otherwise we've just got to accept that a person has a complete change of character in about 5 minutes.

I actually liked the pilot. I'll keep watching, but if the next couple of episodes are as poorly written/characterized as this one, well, I might bail.

Bryant Burnette
07-02-2013, 09:37 AM
The episode blew. I assumed preacher Coggins intentionally set the house on fire as the scene was playing out. What else would he expect when you start a trash fire next to the curtains? But then he's all "oh no, the house is on fire" and tries to put it out? I'm not sure if that was bad plotting or bad acting, but it was bad.

And are we supposed to believe Barbie, who is obviously some sort of enforcer, would allow his dog tags to remain at the scene of the crime? It reminded me of the scene in True Romance where the mob enforcer is laughing at the fact that Clarence ("fuckhead") would have gotten away with it, but he left his driver's licence at the scene! Barbie is supposed to be the hero, or at least the respected protagonist. I don't want him portrayed as an incompetent fuckhead.

And why would that cop get all paranoid and weirded out like that? I'm not saying he couldn't, but the show gave no perspective or background. In a well-written show, character actions stem from some sort of background; not just appear out of the blue.

And that's also what seems to be going on with Junior. Why is he acting that way? In the book it was a combination of a sense of entitlement along with a brain tumor. Based on what we've seen so far, there's no clue or rationale for Junior's actions. According to Angie, he's never acted anything close to this since the third grade. I hope it does turn out to be a brain tumor in the show, otherwise we've just got to accept that a person has a complete change of character in about 5 minutes.

I actually liked the pilot. I'll keep watching, but if the next couple of episodes are as poorly written/characterized as this one, well, I might bail.

Agreed on all points. I thought it was bad bordering on incompetence.

In days long gone, you'd see stuff like this on tv and sorta shrug and say to yourself, "Well, it's just a television show, whattaya expect?" Those days have been over (for me at least) at least a decade; probably a bit longer. There's just no excuse for an episode of tv being this bad anymore.

Iwritecode
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree on the first point with Coggins and the fire. I wasn't quite sure what he was doing or trying to do there. The other points I didn't really notice because stuff like that happens on pretty much every tv show ever. They need to have the characters doing something and they haven't had nearly enough time to really explore the backgrounds of even the major characters yet.

Although it's possible that I just don't watch enough tv to really know bad from good. I don't watch much other than this show, Sons of Anarchy, and re-runs of old sitcoms.

neosatus
07-02-2013, 02:19 PM
So far I'm rather disappointed with the show. My main complaint it that it is disgustingly clean. It's not even partially conducive to immersibility. I could list literally dozens of complaints under that broad banner.

I know the series departs a bit from the original work, but there are many aspects which were done unnecessarily so, imo. Some of the characters are too far off from their original feel.

Many parts were laughably unrealistic. At the end of episode 2, the fire is somehow miraculously put out by the house being collapsed? LOL Yeah, right.

neosatus
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Agreed on all points. I thought it was bad bordering on incompetence.

In days long gone, you'd see stuff like this on tv and sorta shrug and say to yourself, "Well, it's just a television show, whattaya expect?" Those days have been over (for me at least) at least a decade; probably a bit longer. There's just no excuse for an episode of tv being this bad anymore.

Yeah, there really no excuse, especially with the amount of funding the show received.

Look at recent series such as Breaking Bad, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, just to name a few. Television series of recent days are vastly better than most films produced, even. So to produce something this terribly bad, in contrast to these other series, really says a lot about the studio and producers that are messing up this show.

Merlin1958
07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
They are moving slow, which I expected, but I didn't see anything wrong with the episode. I've liked it so far.

I'm with you. I'm gonna give it a chance to develop more.

Edit: It would seem that they intend to use "Flash-backs" to fill in back story IMHO

Bryant Burnette
07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Look at recent series such as Breaking Bad, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, just to name a few. Television series of recent days are vastly better than most films produced, even. So to produce something this terribly bad, in contrast to these other series, really says a lot about the studio and producers that are messing up this show.

Absolutely. Can't wait for Boardwalk to return; that last season was superb.

There are enough genuinely good shows that it's difficult to keep up with them all, especially since Netflix is in that game now. I'm going to be watching Under the Dome for the duration, because I'm a King fan and I watch even the shittiest of the shitty stuff base don his work. If not for that connection, I'd probably be done with this show based on the second episode. And I bet a lot of people will bail out; watch for the ratings to plummet next week.

Bryant Burnette
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=Iwritecode;786513]It would seem that they intend to use "Flash-backs" to fill in back story IMHO

I would tend to agree with you; hopefully that will result in more Jeff Fahey.

mtdman
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I liked episode 2, and I'm totally digging this series so far. I am very pleasantly surprised!

Stebbins
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
I liked episode 2, and I'm totally digging this series so far. I am very pleasantly surprised!

I'm the opposite. I thought it'd be cool with me reading the book just before and all, but really I'm irked. The changes in characters and thinking back to how well written the book was just gets to me. I don't think it's bad-- excellent casting for Big Jim and some other roles-- I just don't like it nearly as much as the book, and subsequently cannot become engrossed in it.

Ricky
07-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I purposefully didn't read the comments here before I watched the new episode. Honestly, I really didn't have a problem with it. Sure it's moving a little slow, but we're only at episode two. It's been awhile since I read the book, but I'm definitely noticing a lot of the differences. One thing that I think the show's doing right, though, is the effect of the dome itself. I was worried that we'd be able to see it (kind of like a jar, as if to say, LOOK, IT'S A DOME!) and it'd be cheesy, but think it's well done.

And I did think it was funny that Big Jim just tapped Duke's house a couple times and it fell like a flimsy house of cards. :lol:

WeDealInLead
07-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Are they trying to portray Big Jim as seemingly normal* so that when he loses his mind, we're all in complete shock? He hasn't done anything that bad so far and actually seems likeable on the surface.

Will Angie become to UtD what Andrea is to TWD?

* compared to the book.

Iwritecode
07-03-2013, 05:35 AM
excellent casting for Big Jim and some other roles

I'm still trying to get used to the actors they cast for Big Jim and Junior. They are not what I pictured in my head at all.

Obviously they are too old for the roles now but I had Big Jim looking like Brian Dennehy (Big Tom Callahan from Tommy Boy) and Junior looking like Devin Ratray (Buzz from Home Alone).

Everyone else seems about right.

Bryant Burnette
07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Are they trying to portray Big Jim as seemingly normal* so that when he loses his mind, we're all in complete shock? He hasn't done anything that bad so far and actually seems likeable on the surface.

I think there have many too many scenes in which he talks in ominously conspiriatorial tones to Duke and Lester for that to really be the case, but I think they are definitely trying to make it seem plausible that the town would rally around him. I don't think the execution of these ideas has been very good so far, so conceptually, it works really well.

NeedfulKings
07-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I'll give it time, but as has been said, TV standards have increased over time. Cheesy plots and hokey scenarios are hard to tolerate. The house fire was a mess. We are led to believe that a person can survive in a room where the fire began while the rest of the house is up in flames? Uh...heat....smoke....flame. Dead.

I absolutely LOVE the Dome effect. I think it's spot on. As for the characters, we are missing some transitional parts of the story - why are they good, why are they bad?

I'll keep watching. I just don't know that the series will last long enough for the Dome to lift.

mtdman
07-03-2013, 08:24 PM

I'm the opposite. I thought it'd be cool with me reading the book just before and all, but really I'm irked. The changes in characters and thinking back to how well written the book was just gets to me. I don't think it's bad-- excellent casting for Big Jim and some other roles-- I just don't like it nearly as much as the book, and subsequently cannot become engrossed in it.

I hated the book, so the tv show can't help but be better imo.

Lookwhoitis
07-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I think the adaptation is terrible. Cheesy. Cliched. No character development. Generic characters cast to appease the mass audience.

The best acting job in ep 2 was Truman the dog. I groaned audibly when linda the cute little boricua cop (hit them demographics!) Calked a shotgun with shells visible on it a "rifle" in dialogue.

I was rooting for the fire to burn all those wooden actors and their bucket brigade up!

I guess I am just not used to watching network tv anymore. I pretty much only watch shows on HBO, Showtime, AMC,& F/X.
I feel like I am wasting my time with this show when I have full seasons of Homeland and the Borgias to catch up on.

I feel bad for BKV. he is a great writer.

Very dissapointed with Under the Dome the tv show.

Lookwhoitis
07-04-2013, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a series to jump the shark as soon as its second episode, but doggone if Under the Dome doesn't seem to have done it. What a shitty episode.

Concur

Bryant Burnette
07-04-2013, 09:19 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-we1D5oN5Bms/UdXFlVXr1KI/AAAAAAAAPSg/iGRzVL2Je2g/s1117/Talking+Heads.jpg

Bryant Burnette
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM

The only thing I've read by him is Saga, which I have been reading since the beginning. It is absolute genius. I can't wrap my head around the fact that Under the Dome is being written for television by the same person; it has no spark to it, no vitality of any kind, and Saga is chock full of spark and vitality. Something here does not compute.

WeDealInLead
07-05-2013, 05:58 AM

The only thing I've read by him is Saga, which I have been reading since the beginning. It is absolute genius. I can't wrap my head around the fact that Under the Dome is being written for television by the same person; it has no spark to it, no vitality of any kind, and Saga is chock full of spark and vitality. Something here does not compute.

Oh man. You gotta read Y: The Last Man. I wish I could experience it for the first time. The premise is this: every male of every species on the planet dies except a boy and his monkey. That's not a spolier, it's right in the title. Ex Machina is brilliant too.

I don't get why so many of the movies and shows based on King's works don't translate well on the big screen.

Bryant Burnette
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I've been wanting to read both of those -- plus Runaways -- ever since I started reading Saga. I'll get to 'em eventually!

mattgreenbean
07-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I figured out how to enjoy the show, drink and laugh at all the changes.

wahlers
07-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I thought the book had a really riveting 800 pages and then the last 200 pages really crapped out and failed to deliver. Bad "villain" death, terrible dome explanation, etc. So, I went into this excited that there was going to be some different explanation for the dome and, hopefully, a better ending.

However, I'm having a real hard time just getting through it. It's boring.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a good slow, deliberate pace like a lot of good old films had, etc. I also don't mind having to wait for pay-offs and answers (i.e. I loved watching Lost the entire 6 years and even loved the finale).

However, it's really hard to put my finger on the problem. I don't know if I should blame the actors, the script, the editor, the director, or the cinematographer. The whole thing is just so damn slow and boring. Nothing seems accomplished each week and I don't care about anybody in it after they killed their best actor in the first episode. The fuzzy late-90s-looking effects don't help either. :/

About the characters, what's terrible too is that I read the book (granted it was when it was first published) but still can't remember hardly anybody's name three episodes in. I know "Scarecrow" Joe, Duke, Barbie, and Junior. I think Junior's dad is Big Jim? I'm not cheating and looking elsewhere online to confirm, so those are the only characters I can name off the top of my head. There's just no attachment for me to anyone now.

If this was going to be a full season of 22+ episodes I think I would quit watching now.

However, I only have 10 more to go, so I'll stick through it. If they haven't convinced me by the end I'm not going to come back next season (if there is one).

Glad to hear I'm not the only one disappointed with the show itself and not just the changes from the book.

Steve
07-09-2013, 07:45 AM
I have stated my disdain for Under the Dome as a novel before (though perhaps not around here), as I consider it one of King's worst novels. Far too bloated and meandering, and this is from a guy who has great talent at creating expansive, epic world-building stories. But he really missed the mark with the book.

That said, the concept is interesting, and I think the series has the potential to take a poorly-executed idea and better it. Brian K. Vaughan is a master at plotting stories (see his comic runs), and I think he's already improving greatly on the source material by keeping the good stuff and expunging the rest. All the characters seem more richly shaded here than the novel, where most of the townsfolk were walking stereotypes. Dean Norris is an excellent choice for Big Jim, and I love that they are tempering the whole right-wing hail-fellow-well-met praise-Jesus aspect of his character to something much more restrained, much more believable... and with much greater potential. It's also the best performance I've seen from Mike Vogel.

The show isn't flawless. I don't like the actresses who play Norrie and Angie (the punk chick and Junior's obsession, respectively). But everyone else is doing quite well for what the show requires. It's a solid B+ from me.

Bryant Burnette
07-09-2013, 08:03 AM
I thought the third episode was the best so far. It had a few scenes that genuinely held my attention, which is a step in the right direction.

johnsmith87
07-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah, episode 3 was a big improvement from the last one. Some parts of the show are edging very close to cliché, but there's enough going on to hold my interest. I'm sticking with the show.

Stebbins
07-09-2013, 12:05 PM
excellent casting for Big Jim and some other roles

I'm still trying to get used to the actors they cast for Big Jim and Junior. They are not what I pictured in my head at all.

Obviously they are too old for the roles now but I had Big Jim looking like Brian Dennehy (Big Tom Callahan from Tommy Boy) and Junior looking like Devin Ratray (Buzz from Home Alone).

Everyone else seems about right.

Really? Well in my head Big Jim didn't look that way, and Junior is nowhere near what I had pictured. If we're going off what we had pictured, Julia bothers me the most.

Mattgreanbean: :lol: I'll have to try that, because so far the drastic changes have really been irking me.

subie09lega
07-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I didn't picture Julia like that either....at all.
And Big Jim I thought would be bigger, like 2x.
I just ignore the differences and try to enjoy it for what it is; so many changes it's hard to compare with the book.

Merlin1958
07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
If there is a "Mod" out there, shouldn't the thread title reference that it is the TV show discussion thread? Just a thought since at least one other member was confused.

RUBE
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
My wife gets tired of me comparing Game of Thrones to the books they are based on so she was wondering why I wasn't doing the same for this. I told her that the show and book were so different that there wasn't really a point. I am just going to watch and hope that the show turns out alright. It's obvious so many things are different that we don't know what's going to happen.

mtdman
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I have stated my disdain for Under the Dome as a novel before (though perhaps not around here), as I consider it one of King's worst novels. Far too bloated and meandering, and this is from a guy who has great talent at creating expansive, epic world-building stories. But he really missed the mark with the book.

That said, the concept is interesting, and I think the series has the potential to take a poorly-executed idea and better it. Brian K. Vaughan is a master at plotting stories (see his comic runs), and I think he's already improving greatly on the source material by keeping the good stuff and expunging the rest. All the characters seem more richly shaded here than the novel, where most of the townsfolk were walking stereotypes. Dean Norris is an excellent choice for Big Jim, and I love that they are tempering the whole right-wing hail-fellow-well-met praise-Jesus aspect of his character to something much more restrained, much more believable... and with much greater potential. It's also the best performance I've seen from Mike Vogel.

The show isn't flawless. I don't like the actresses who play Norrie and Angie (the punk chick and Junior's obsession, respectively). But everyone else is doing quite well for what the show requires. It's a solid B+ from me.

Great post!

divemaster
07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
I just finished watching last night's episode. Better than the second, but still a lot of head-scratching behaviors.

Some of the changes from the book I can see were necessary. You really couldn't portray Junior as in the novel. Keeping and molesting dead girls stashed in a closet? Becoming a shambling tumor-ridden wreck in a matter of days? No way that works in a TV series. And I can see where it would detract from your name star (Dean Norris) if there were two more council members to have to keep track of.

But did we really need the whole "my two lesbian moms" angle? There's no reason Norrie couldn't have been a town girl. And one of my favorite characters from the novel (Rusty) is relegated to outside the dome status in the TV show. Why? And a whole bunch of little stuff that just irks me b/c there's no apparent reason for it. No need to go point by point here.

I did like the novel a lot, despite the anti-religious fervor which was way too heavy-handed. So I'm glad they've toned that down. I had no problem with King's "reason" for the dome in the novel. In fact, I really liked the explanation. I did wish for a better comeuppance for Big Jim though. I guess I'll keep watching for a while to see where the TV version goes.

Bryant Burnette
07-09-2013, 06:04 PM
You really couldn't portray Junior as in the novel. Keeping and molesting dead girls stashed in a closet? Becoming a shambling tumor-ridden wreck in a matter of days? No way that works in a TV series.

Of course you could. Not on CBS, maybe, but on HBO, or Showtime, or Starz, or Netflix...? Of course you could. And maybe that's part of the problem. Should this be on a network, where it has to be at least partially defanged? I'd say not.

Bryant Burnette
07-09-2013, 06:05 PM
But did we really need the whole "my two lesbian moms" angle?

Depends on where the show goes with it. My guess is that things are, at some point, going to get very unpleasant for that couple; whatever happens, it might (or might not) justify the addition. I'm certainly not willing to write it off this early on.

Bryant Burnette
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM
I did like the novel a lot, despite the anti-religious fervor which was way too heavy-handed. So I'm glad they've toned that down. I had no problem with King's "reason" for the dome in the novel. In fact, I really liked the explanation. I did wish for a better comeuppance for Big Jim though.

I agree with every word of that.

subie09lega
07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
When I read the book I really didn't think of a lot of it as anti-religious fervor, I thought it was anti-religious hypocrisy. In other words, people that act religious but act opposite what they profess to believe. Big Jim was the perfect example of this - outwardly religious but willing to do anything to promote his interests no matter how corrupt because he knows better than everyone else.

divemaster
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
You really couldn't portray Junior as in the novel. Keeping and molesting dead girls stashed in a closet? Becoming a shambling tumor-ridden wreck in a matter of days? No way that works in a TV series.

Of course you could. Not on CBS, maybe, but on HBO, or Showtime, or Starz, or Netflix...? Of course you could. And maybe that's part of the problem. Should this be on a network, where it has to be at least partially defanged? I'd say not.

I agree that you "could" in the sense that HBO or whatever wouldn't be constrained by network standards. But that's not what I meant. I meant it's just not interesting for a 13-episode (or more) series. There's no character arc. Having him interact with a live girl and not be all tumor-wracked is more interesting from a plotting standpoint. He can be a much better foil in the TV series the way they're portraying him. IMO.

Bryant Burnette
07-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Ah, I see. Fair enough.

I agree with you that the route they are going -- or seem to be going -- in the series is more interesting. I wasn't sold on that aspect of the series during the first two episodes, but the third got me a lot more interested.

Roland of Gilead 33
07-09-2013, 07:12 PM
i'm enjoyed the show so far as well. the 1st episode i thought was ok. not great but ok. the 2nd one was far better i think. and i didn't watch last nights episode cause it was raining like a mother fucker here. and we have DISH so our signal was shit. so i prolly will download or stream it sometime this week.

divemaster
07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
When I read the book I really didn't think of a lot of it as anti-religious fervor, I thought it was anti-religious hypocrisy. In other words, people that act religious but act opposite what they profess to believe. Big Jim was the perfect example of this - outwardly religious but willing to do anything to promote his interests no matter how corrupt because he knows better than everyone else.

But it was so over the top that it really damaged King's ability to make that point. Also, and this was my biggest problem with the portrayal, it was not a matter of a person using the appearance of religion to take advantage of people. THAT I could buy and understand. But King was very clear to show that Big Jim really was a very strong Jesus believer. He wouldn't cuss. He prayed. Etc. In his own private thoughts. Not merely outwardly religious. And I have a hard time believing that somebody who was devout enough to never say a cuss word would have no problem murdering folks and doing the evil things he did. Sure, we all have our private vices and weaknesses and hypocrisies. But King might as well have put horns and a tail on him and had him twirl a snidely whiplash mustache. I wanted to hate Big Jim. But how can you hate a cartoon?

But enough about the novel. I'm glad all that's toned down in the TV show. I won't mind if they show Jim using religion to manipulate folks or whatever. That would be par for the course for a whole lot of politicians or egomaniacal wannabe tinpot dome dictators.

Ricky
07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Just watched the new episode. It's definitely moving a little slow for me now. Three episodes in, I should feel like something (in plot or characters) has changed. I wish they'd spend a little more time with Phil and Dodee, too.

Iwritecode
07-10-2013, 06:12 AM
i'm enjoyed the show so far as well. the 1st episode i thought was ok. not great but ok. the 2nd one was far better i think. and i didn't watch last nights episode cause it was raining like a mother fucker here. and we have DISH so our signal was shit. so i prolly will download or stream it sometime this week.

I missed the latest episode as well, but I noticed on Sunday night that they were re-running the 2nd episode at 9 PM. So I'm hoping I'll be able to catch the one I missed this coming Sunday.

I know FX does this with a lot of their shows as well.

mattgreenbean
07-10-2013, 06:23 AM
My wife gets tired of me comparing Game of Thrones to the books they are based on so she was wondering why I wasn't doing the same for this. I told her that the show and book were so different that there wasn't really a point. I am just going to watch and hope that the show turns out alright. It's obvious so many things are different that we don't know what's going to happen.

That's why I like the Game of Thrones show, it follows the books for the most part. I've enjoyed the books because they are so freaking good. I enjoy the show because they aren't try making it better or different to give a new angle.

Also, CBS could certainly allude to that fact that Junior is banging dead chicks and has a tumor. Hannibal showed what they did after 10pm. So HBO or not, CBS could have done that.

As much as we debate about it, this show isn't as good as others. Don't feel bad, you're not going to hurt SK's feelings :P

I'm glad some of you are enjoying this version of SK's story, but episode 4 will probably be my last one, I can use that time to read actual SK material.

mattgreenbean
07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
One more thing, say The Dark Tower is turned into a show, who is going to be okay with the tv show changing everything except for the "idea" of the story? Roland is young, Jake and Eddie are combined into one character, Susan isn't paralyzed. I wouldn't be cool with that!

Iwritecode
07-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't think you can really make that comparison. Some of the changes they are making to the show are because they want to continue the story line for much longer than the couple of weeks it lasted in the novel.

If they decided to do a TV show rather than movies for the TDT (which I'm doubting anyway), there is enough material to make 10+ seasons out of it.

Bryant Burnette
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Jake'd be 18 by the time that was finished. It would never work.

johnsmith87
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you can stream all the Under the Dome episodes on the CBS website for free, for those who missed any.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video

Roland of Gilead 33
07-13-2013, 08:13 PM
thanxs for the link

mattgreenbean
07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Tonight's episode was a heck of a lot better.

wahlers
07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Another boring episode with another red herring plot and the actors seeming as bored as I was.

sgc1999
07-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Big Jim gonna kill ha .:shoot:

Bryant Burnette
07-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I liked tonight's, too. That shot of Joe sitting up and making the "shhh!" face during the video was creepy.

RUBE
07-17-2013, 07:40 PM
This episode was better even if some elements were ridiculous (an outbreak that starts and ends in one day).

Bryant Burnette
07-18-2013, 01:18 AM
This episode was better even if some elements were ridiculous (an outbreak that starts and ends in one day).

IS that actually ridiculous, though? I'm too dumb to know one way or the other.

Heather19
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Finally just got caught up on the past two episodes. I don't hate it, but I was hoping for so much more from this show. I loved the book, but the show just isn't connecting as well for me. Like someone else above mentioned, I really have no connection to any of the characters in the show yet, and it's already 4 eps in. I think we should be feeling something for them by now.

But did we really need the whole "my two lesbian moms" angle? There's no reason Norrie couldn't have been a town girl.

I completely agree. I don't get this either. I think they should have just made Norrie someone from town, and left out the moms. I'm not sure if it's the actresses or what, but they don't even seem like they're in love or a family or anything. So far it's just been wasted screen time for me.

:lol: I agree about the outbreak part. Was anything like that in the book. I can't remember, it's been so long since I read it.

Ricky
07-18-2013, 08:35 AM
they don't even seem like they're in love or a family or anything.

This made me laugh. :rofl:

And I'm willing to bet that the reason for their inclusion in the show is that somewhere down the road as everyone gets more violent, the town's going to start turning on each other and looking for people to blame (the two moms being among the targeted) and the "hate" crime mixed with their injuries (maybe even death?) will show just how much animalistic the town has become.

If they go that route, it could be pretty powerful. But if not, yeah, it's just CBS checking off another demographic on their list. :lol:

Iwritecode
07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
One thing that bothered me in the last episode is when the nurse asked the one mom if she had a medical degree and the other mom actually answered for her.

It's a small thing and it may be just me but I was thinking, "Jeez lady, she has a mouth, let her answer for herself."

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
One thing that bothered me in the last episode is when the nurse asked the one mom if she had a medical degree and the other mom actually answered for her.

It's a small thing and it may be just me but I was thinking, "Jeez lady, she has a mouth, let her answer for herself."

LOL I'm thinking she's the "Husband" in their partnership. LOL

Jimimck
07-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I haven't really read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned/discussed prior, but the one comment I'll make about the show (which I am enjoying) is that I don't hate any of the characters yet, like I did in the book....

mtdman
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM

The black lady is a bit overbearing. It's annoying.

johnsmith87
07-19-2013, 07:28 PM
The ratings for the show seem to be pretty good so far.

From the New York Times:

"Since the series premiere, the overall ratings have been steady over the last four weeks. After the third episode dropped to a low of 10.7 million total viewers on July 8, the July 15 episode rebounded to 11.1 million."

My favorites have to be Colin Ford as Scarecrow Joe and Mike Vogel as Barbie. Junior Rennie is also pretty intriguing in a creepy kind of way.

I have to say though, as much as I love Dean Norris and Breaking Bad, I thought he'd play Big Jim A LOT differently. Like Hank Schroeder on steroids, only a more pompous, cocky, used car salesman nutjob. He seems to be way too reserved and sane. I'm assuming that will change as the series progresses, but it could definitely be toned up a bit.

stkmw02
07-19-2013, 07:31 PM

The black lady is a bit overbearing. It's annoying.

I actually thought that was more for the "she's not a real doctor, she's a shrink... but she has experience!" effect. I figured if she answered herself with that sort of reply, it would have sounded odd and almost comical.

Ricky
07-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I thought he'd play Big Jim A LOT differently. Like Hank Schroeder on steroids, only a more pompous, cocky, used car salesman nutjob. He seems to be way too reserved and sane.

I thought the same thing. I thought he was a great casting choice, so I hope it changes soon, too.

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Jr. is crazy one week and then semi-sane the next IMHO

Jimimck
07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
I think that since the tv series has a lot longer time frame to play with, they can take their time before showing certain characters true colors...

stkmw02
07-19-2013, 08:15 PM

His character definitely intrigues me... I haven't decided yet if its the portrayal that is varied, or if the character itself is supposed to have moments of sanity/appearing sane to others. I'm especially interested in it right now, because I've been doing some intervention work involving mental health issues that are very similar.

PS Bill... did I miss something? Because I've missed your ASS while I've been settling in to my new job as mom, don't take a break now!!

Merlin1958
07-19-2013, 08:22 PM

His character definitely intrigues me... I haven't decided yet if its the portrayal that is varied, or if the character itself is supposed to have moments of sanity/appearing sane to others. I'm especially interested in it right now, because I've been doing some intervention work involving mental health issues that are very similar.

PS Bill... did I miss something? Because I've missed your ASS while I've been settling in to my new job as mom, don't take a break now!!

Apparently, I am an ASS. I still smoke. Whatever, its cool.

stkmw02
07-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Apparently, I am an ASS. I still smoke. Whatever, its cool.

I hope this isn't because of my comment about the dome thing. I was just joking. I don't care who smokes, as long as they don't do it in my house or my car or my bed. :P

Iwritecode
07-22-2013, 06:45 AM
So apparently they don't rerun Monday's episode on Sunday night anymore. You also can't see the show for free from the CBS website either unless you have AT&T U-Verse or Xfinity or are an Amazon Prime member.

So I guess I'll have to wait for the DVDs to see the second half of last week's episode that I missed. :mad:

stkmw02
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Amazon Prime.... free episodes every Friday. Or you could buy a single episode for relatively cheap to avoid that excessive (inconvenient) wait.

johnsmith87
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Holy product placement.

Other than that, enjoying the episode so far.

mattgreenbean
07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Norrie looks better without the make up.

johnsmith87
07-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Woah, what an ending.

Can you hear me now? :eek:

Bryant Burnette
07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I liked that episode a lot. Easily the best so far. I've still got nitpicks, but even I don't really care about 'em.

Kingfan24
07-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I have to say I am really not that impressed with the show... so much so I stopped watching it

wahlers
07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
It hurts a bit to admit this episode wasn't so bad.

Ending could have be shot/framed/edited more cinematography instead of looking like a tv tie-in paperback cover.

However, huge kudos to the Donnie Darko actress who, IMHO, outacted everyone so far in her lip-reading scene with Barbie. It felt like I was watching a real TV show for a minute.

Bryant Burnette
07-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I have to say I am really not that impressed with the show... so much so I stopped watching it

Which episode caused you to bail out?

Iwritecode
07-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Amazon Prime.... free episodes every Friday. Or you could buy a single episode for relatively cheap to avoid that excessive (inconvenient) wait.

I just hate having to pay to see something that I could've originally watched with a TV and an antenna.

Also watching TV shows on my little 20" computer screen really sucks.

Roland of Gilead 33
07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
i am enjoying the show so far. i am curious if the show if it gets renewed for next summer if it will be even further away from the book. and what characters will survive and or die. in short will next season a cast of new characters not even in the book? just a thought anyways.
either way i'm enjoying the series as well. Dean Norris is a badass in it. i've liked him as an actor for years.

Ricky
07-23-2013, 08:05 PM
This has been my favorite episode so far. Really well done. And it looks like they might be doing the supermarket riot next week! :excited:

Merlin1958
07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
There is one glaring thing that bothers me a bit so far. They haven't given us a peek at the events occurring "outside" the Dome. Considering the events so far, that perspective would be enlightening IMHO

Shannon
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM
I haven't read Under the Dome, and I've stayed away from this thread due to the spoilers. But ... Amber has read the book ... and multiple times during each episode she yells out loud "WHAT THE FUCK!? THAT'S NOT LIKE THE BOOK!" ... and I've grown tired of it. So, I read the Wikipedia synopsis of the book. Now, my question to you all (after reading the entire thread and not seeing this character's name mentioned once) ... is:

Phil Bushey?

mtdman
07-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Still digging the show.

mattgreenbean
07-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Phil Bushey has been replaced with a completely different character. So there's not too much to discuss there.

neosatus
07-25-2013, 11:30 PM

I just hate having to pay to see something that I could've originally watched with a TV and an antenna.

Also watching TV shows on my little 20" computer screen really sucks.

Easy--download it. It's all over the place.

Bryant Burnette
07-26-2013, 01:11 AM
There is one glaring thing that bothers me a bit so far. They haven't given us a peek at the events occurring "outside" the Dome. Considering the events so far, that perspective would be enlightening IMHO

The novel doesn't stray far from town, either, though, does it? Not that following the novel seems to be a top priority for the producers of this show...

divemaster
07-26-2013, 04:06 AM
That's true, but at least Barbie was in contact with that Colonel guy. Through that interaction, King was able to give the readers hints on what the military was doing, the results of the science investigations, and why things were happening in a certain way. Plus, it added to the Barbie vs. Big Jim and Big Jim vs. the world dynamics.

Bryant Burnette
07-26-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm assuming that will still happen. My thought would be that that's the main reason for the existence of the radio station; they'll eventually figure out how to talk to someone on the outside that way. Or something like that. It feels to me like they're still heading in that direction, but just haven't gone there yet.

Merlin1958
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM

The novel doesn't stray far from town, either, though, does it? Not that following the novel seems to be a top priority for the producers of this show...

True, but I guess seeing it on TV brings in a new light so to speak. Seems to me that someone should be stationed by the Dome with 20 legal pads and someone on the other side as well.

Iwritecode
07-26-2013, 10:08 AM

They touched on it slightly with the kids talking after visitor's day. One of them mentioned China trying to start a war or something like that.

Merlin1958
07-26-2013, 03:00 PM

They touched on it slightly with the kids talking after visitor's day. One of them mentioned China trying to start a war or something like that.

Oh, I know. I guess what I was getting at is that you would think they would be in constant communication with the "Authorities" (at least until they decided to shoot a missile at them) and maybe some scenes in which they discuss theories, policy, etc amonst those in charge outside the dome. Even a few headlines would help. Just seems very weird to me is all.

Bryant Burnette
07-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Even a few headlines would help. Just seems very weird to me is all.

It's definitely a contrivance, but I think it can be made sense of (more or less). If you assume that the military became aware of the dome quickly -- and judging by the final shot of the first episode, they did -- then you can then assume that they established a widespread and highly effective cordon around the area. Let's then assume that the soldiers were all under orders to not communicate with anyone on the inside. Presumably, this would be because somebody realized early on that destroying the dome would be a distinct possibility.

Now that the destruction of the dome is apparently off the table, the odds seem good that the government and military will now begin communicating with the people on the inside. But I would think that the area around the dome would still be highly restricted.

I'm drawing conclusions here, but I think they more or less make sense. And I kind of like that we really don't know what's going on in the outside world; it adds to the claustrophobia.

Merlin1958
07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Even a few headlines would help. Just seems very weird to me is all.

It's definitely a contrivance, but I think it can be made sense of (more or less). If you assume that the military became aware of the dome quickly -- and judging by the final shot of the first episode, they did -- then you can then assume that they established a widespread and highly effective cordon around the area. Let's then assume that the soldiers were all under orders to not communicate with anyone on the inside. Presumably, this would be because somebody realized early on that destroying the dome would be a distinct possibility.

Now that the destruction of the dome is apparently off the table, the odds seem good that the government and military will now begin communicating with the people on the inside. But I would think that the area around the dome would still be highly restricted.

I'm drawing conclusions here, but I think they more or less make sense. And I kind of like that we really don't know what's going on in the outside world; it adds to the claustrophobia.

Of course, I get that (and no disrespect intended) I'm just saying that the "Show" should give us some insight is all. Nevermind, we'll see what they have for us next week.

Bev Vincent
07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I hate it when they get science wrong. The microclimate, I'm okay with. But the "crisis" over methane in the water supply is a non-starter. 1) Ingesting methane is not dangerous (except for the fact that it's flammable) 2) It's pretty easy to get methane out of water if you're concerned about it.

I like Big Jim a lot more in this series than in the novel. He's got his bad/dark side, but he's not consistently evil.

subie09lega
07-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I hate it when they get science wrong. The microclimate, I'm okay with. But the "crisis" over methane in the water supply is a non-starter. 1) Ingesting methane is not dangerous (except for the fact that it's flammable) 2) It's pretty easy to get methane out of water if you're concerned about it.

I like Big Jim a lot more in this series than in the novel. He's got his bad/dark side, but he's not consistently evil.

....and I wondered where ALL THAT RAIN came from. It just rained and rained and rained.
I, too, like Jim better. I expected him to be loathsome like in the book.

Merlin1958
07-30-2013, 03:13 PM

....and I wondered where ALL THAT RAIN came from. It just rained and rained and rained.
I, too, like Jim better. I expected him to be loathsome like in the book.

Thank You!!! I was thinking the exact same things!!! Also, where is all the wind coming from? The proportions just seem off for a micro-climate of that magnitude. The whole thing rang of wrongness.

BTW, I agree about Big Jim. The action sure has ramped up though.

Bryant Burnette
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't have any problem accepting that it rains more or less normally, or that there is wind. Because I'm watching a series in which a giant impenetrable force field is surrounding a city.

Roland of Gilead 33
07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
the wind doesn't bother me cause it's either 1. a mistake the show runners miss. or 2. it shows that the dome is allowing wind and apparently rain into the dome. i didn't see anyone mention that it has been renewed for a season 2. and one thing i can give them credit for is them saying that it'll take place outside the book. i think that's smart cause it can give people either curious on what way they will take if it's going away from the book, or it can give them a decision not to watch it.

and i am enjoying the show as well. as for all the changes they have made, you know i know many people love the book but there's also many people who also hate the book. and also the ending. let me not forget that. my suggestion on why big Jim is a more likable guy? Dean Norris that guy is badass. well other than that, another suggestion is perhaps they just said fuck it let's go a different route, making him evil is maybe just to easy of a way to cause drama. it's a bit like Ben in the show LOST, he starts out evil, than as the show went on he went back and forth between doing the right thing and being evil. and by the end of the show he did redeem himself.

maybe that's the way they are doing that to Big Jim? anyways, i dunno if it's a good or a bad thing that they are going away from the book.

it i think depends on what's written perhaps? or rather how if you like the direction they will take ? that's my take on it anyways, i will also add that i think it's great that SK and the show runners have publicy stated the show isn't going to be like the book but that changes will be made.

i can't think of any other time that's been done before can anyone?

Bryant Burnette
08-01-2013, 02:29 AM
The Walking Dead and/or Dexter, maybe? I don't know the extent to which those would fit the bill, but they seem like possibilities. True Blood, too.

Bev Vincent
08-01-2013, 03:08 AM
There was an article a while back where one of the producers received a report on the dailies from the network. Everything looked good, CBS said, but can wind blow inside the dome? Since they're shooting outside, it's impossible to keep even gentle breezes from blowing leaves and things in the background. So they decided to adopt the philosophy that there's a unique microclimate under the dome where wind can blow and it can rain.

They came up with these rules:

* You experience a shock the first time you touch the DOME, but after that you will not.

* Warning: Those pacemakers or other battery-operated equipment should never touch the DOME!

* The DOME is semi-permeable. Trace amounts of water can pass through both ways.

* The DOME produces its own micro-climate.

* Clouds can gather inside the DOME.

* There will be wind inside the DOME.

* Climate change on Earth is NOT affecting the DOME.

* No phone calls can be made inside the DOME.

* There is no wi-fi inside the DOME.

* There are no TV signals inside the DOME.

Bryant Burnette
08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm trying to come up with a way to use the phrase "hail yes," and can't get the job done.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
it's i think smart that was added to that list, cause you know damn well that there are a shitload of people saying just that, how is it raining? wind and if the show lasts, snow ? so to write that in since they are shooting outside that i think makes sense to me.

subie09lega
08-02-2013, 02:22 PM
I didn't have a problem with the rain, they've already established that water can permeate the dome but from what they showed it basically comes through as maybe nothing more than a vapor. So if it's raining outside the dome, the amount of rain that would make it through would be an increase in humidity, the rest would run off the dome. I understand the microclimate but there was a lot of rain and it rained a long time. The water has to come from some source and that much rain made me think that they were pumping it out of the lake, bay, ocean or whatever borders the town and dumping it on the town.
Don't get me wrong, I generally like the show and I'm not normally nitpicky but this just seemed like a very convenient stretch. I think they should have started the microclimate with rain showers perhaps every day for a couple minutes, not a sudden downpour which started while it was sunny.

Merlin1958
08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I didn't have a problem with the rain, they've already established that water can permeate the dome but from what they showed it basically comes through as maybe nothing more than a vapor. So if it's raining outside the dome, the amount of rain that would make it through would be an increase in humidity, the rest would run off the dome. I understand the microclimate but there was a lot of rain and it rained a long time. The water has to come from some source and that much rain made me think that they were pumping it out of the lake, bay, ocean or whatever borders the town and dumping it on the town.
Don't get me wrong, I generally like the show and I'm not normally nitpicky but this just seemed like a very convenient stretch. I think they should have started the microclimate with rain showers perhaps every day for a couple minutes, not a sudden downpour which started while it was sunny.

I used to be like, "Hey, its a damn TV show", but since I found the internet and can discuss the detail with friends I guess I become a little more nit picky!! LOL

subie09lega
08-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't think too much about it. Crud, I watch The Walking Dead and how realistic is that? :emot-flame:

Merlin1958
08-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't think too much about it. Crud, I watch The Walking Dead and how realistic is that? :emot-flame:

Oh, I agree, but it should be as "real" within the given premise as possible, right? That's what my take has become anyway.
So far, it's a fairly good show IMHO

Bryant Burnette
08-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I think a show should always be at least reasonably logical and accurate, at least in terms of its own internal consistency. But if it makes an occasional slipup, I won't mind, as long as the show entertains me. If it doesn't entertain me, I will rip it to fucking shreds.

So far, Under the Dome has mostly entertained me, but not to so great an extent that I blame the people who haven't been digging it. There have been a lot of plot problems, some bad acting, and such; and in general, the whole thing feels like it's maybe been a bit on the rushed side. So I'm sympathetic toward people who tuned out; the second episode, in particular, was so bad that if I hadn't been watching for the King connection, I'd have probably given up on the series right then and there, and never looked back.

WeDealInLead
08-03-2013, 05:48 PM
The second episode was where I gave up too. I missed the third episode and never tried to track it down online and get caught up.

That said, I'll get the DVDs and watch the whole show at once. Maybe it'll be better without constant interruptions.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-04-2013, 02:28 PM
funny enough i thought the 2nd one was better than the 1st. i didn't think the pilot was all that great. but to each their own. as for the rain there is no denying it was strange as fuck, but it's one of those things that i bought what they think it's the dome protecting them. i dunno weather that's true or not. but it's one of those things i haven't thought at all about so for that i just say fuck it. also if it starts raining while they are filming it that explanation can fit. that's my take on it anyways. i have a rule with new shows i give it a few episodes before i quit it, well depending on the show of course. some shows take awhile to get into i recall with the show "LOST" and Jerico as well

and i can't remember if i said this already my apologies if i did. those 2 had great pilots where shit happend. than after that, they both too forever for me anyways to get into. if you watch season 1. of Lost not much really happens for awhile. it wasn't really until like until i think the middle of the 1st season that anything really started to happen. i don't remember why i stuck with it that long. but i did. and i'm glad i did.

my point is i try and give shows a chance. i sometimes give my mom this or that show to watch and i say well the pilot is good or it's not good but the show is great. just give it some time and you'll love it. and sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't. i just used her as an example.

Lookwhoitis
08-04-2013, 03:37 PM
This show is a dog's breakfast. I dunno why I am still watching it. Crackhead for King, I guess.

Contrived explanations for everything. Terrible acting. Characters speaking their motivations out loud to try and explain puzzling decisions/behavior.

I just don't think network tv can do post-apocalyptic right. It kind of remind me of Jericho, a show i liked but that never seemed to go anywhere. Seemed like it was held back by being on network tv. The suits/producers stifle a creative retelling of the story. I surmise that if this show was not "adapted from a Stephen King novel!" It would not be getting renewed.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
i don't think the acting is that bad. yes the dude who plays Jr. is miscast and badly at that. and since he's still new to the business i read an article in tv guide where he said under the dome was his 1st job i think he said? but i dunno i can think of other shows where the acting is far far worse. i love the show true blood and on last night's episode i dunno the name of the actress who played this blond bimbo but she was pretty a pretty fucking bad actress. far far worse on anything on under the dome that's for damn sure.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
i'm pissed ladies at gents. cause 'll miss under the dome tonight. we have DISH ya see and they took it off! WGN is in it's place so i guess i'll have to download it or stream it. thank GOD for that! and it may turn out we don't have CBS anymore so all my shows i love to watch on the network which is my favorite network won't be on anymore. now if it was NBC i'd be fine cause there's nothing on that network i watch anyways. no offense to those who do watch it of course. but either way it's a really shitty thing to do.

johnsmith87
08-05-2013, 07:07 PM
tonight was a sad episode :(

Bryant Burnette
08-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Good episode. I didn't much like that song they used a couple of times, but otherwise I've got no real complaints.

mikeC
08-06-2013, 06:10 AM
The old lady and I continue to watch this mainly bc of the drinking game we made.

Drink every time they say Dome and every time Gloria says Husband.
We watch the show on Friday nights btw.

The visitors' day episode almost killed us, ha!

Thinking about maybe adding shots with they the say Stars, but haven't decided.

Merlin1958
08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
The old lady and I continue to watch this mainly bc of the drinking game we made.

Drink every time they say Dome and every time Gloria says Husband.
We watch the show on Friday nights btw.

The visitors' day episode almost killed us, ha!

Thinking about maybe adding shots with they the say Stars, but haven't decided.

As long as you are still watching I suppose, I am still enjoying it.....

Ricky
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Any thoughts on Dome Jr. from last night's ep.?

Bryant Burnette
08-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I've got thoughts on Dome Jr.

I thought that was a pretty cool reveal, although it immediately made me wonder if the producers have just been flat-out lying about the source of the dome being different in the series than in the book. If that turns out to be the case, I'm okay with it, because I really liked that aspect of the novel.

Either way, it seems like they've at least got SOME specific idea in mind. It also made me remember that the first shot of the first episode was of a bird emerging from an egg. I'm gonna go out on a limb -- and an extremely thick one it is -- and say that's probably not a coincidence.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I've got thoughts on Dome Jr.

I thought that was a pretty cool reveal, although it immediately made me wonder if the producers have just been flat-out lying about the source of the dome being different in the series than in the book. If that turns out to be the case, I'm okay with it, because I really liked that aspect of the novel.

Either way, it seems like they've at least got SOME specific idea in mind. It also made me remember that the first shot of the first episode was of a bird emerging from an egg. I'm gonna go out on a limb -- and an extremely thick one it is -- and say that's probably not a coincidence.

Good point.

Ricky
08-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I thought that was a pretty cool reveal, although it immediately made me wonder if the producers have just been flat-out lying about the source of the dome being different in the series than in the book.

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing. It definitely occurred to me that that's what they might be leading up to (but maybe with a different twist?). I'd be okay with it, too, though.

Iwritecode
08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Anyone still watching? I'm starting to see this more as an original TV series rather than a book adaption. At this point the only thing they really have in common is the title. Which is fine with me. That way I don't know exactly what's going to happen next.

"The monarch shall be crowned." As soon as I heard that line I thought of all the butterflies gathering on the dome. Not sure how they go together though.

subie09lega
08-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I agree, they've changed everything around. I have no problem with the changes since it was obvious from the beginning they weren't sticking to the book so my expectations changed a lot.

Anyone still watching? I'm starting to see this more as an original TV series rather than a book adaption. At this point the only thing they really have in common is the title. Which is fine with me. That way I don't know exactly what's going to happen next.

"The monarch shall be crowned." As soon as I heard that line I thought of all the butterflies gathering on the dome. Not sure how they go together though.

Ricky
08-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I kind of like not knowing exactly what's going to happen. But a part of me still wishes they were sticking more to the book.

And that was Angie with the butterfly tattoo at the end, right? It was night when they were outside, so it was kind of dark.

QUESTION: Anyone else think that something might "hatch" from the black egg and Dome Jr. is acting as an incubator? Similar to the Dome over the town? If that's the case, then I'm wondering: what's be incubated in Chester's Mill?

Bryant Burnette
08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
I dunno, but it can't be anything beneficial!

That was definitely Angie at the end. They've been showing that tattoo about once an episode for the whole season; either it means something, or we're supposed to think it does and it'll end up being a misdirection.

I've still got problems with the show; something stupid happens every single week, sometimes more than one something. But I enjoy it overall; there are cons, but the pros outweigh them significantly, for me.

Ricky
08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks! And funny, last night was the first time I noticed the tattoo, I think.

Bryant Burnette
08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks! And funny, last night was the first time I noticed the tattoo, I think.

I think it's mostly been seen in shots where other things were the actual focus. Not quite subliminal, but not made a big deal of, either.

Merlin1958
08-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I kind of like not knowing exactly what's going to happen. But a part of me still wishes they were sticking more to the book.

And that was Angie with the butterfly tattoo at the end, right? It was night when they were outside, so it was kind of dark.

QUESTION: Anyone else think that something might "hatch" from the black egg and Dome Jr. is acting as an incubator? Similar to the Dome over the town? If that's the case, then I'm wondering: what's be incubated in Chester's Mill?

Actually, haven't they suggested an "Atom" analogy? That would seem to fit with the smaller dome and egg being at the direct center of town.

:emot-hydrogen:

Bev Vincent
08-14-2013, 02:21 AM
That was two nights in a row when Dean Norris got to showcase his talents as an actor.

Bryant Burnette
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
That was two nights in a row when Dean Norris got to showcase his talents as an actor.

Yeah, he knocked out of the park both times. Very cool to see him getting such good scenes to play. I'm sure they're going to continue, too; at least for a few more weeks.

Ricky
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Anyone think they'll kill off Big Jim (or Junior) before the end of this season?

Bev Vincent
08-14-2013, 01:19 PM
No, I don't think that will happen. That's one of the series' strongest dynamics.

Bryant Burnette
08-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm with Bev; the odds of that happening seem extremely slim.

But hey, who knows?

Jimimck
08-14-2013, 11:05 PM
No way. Too much story line opportunity with them. One week they are at each other throats, the next they are thick as thieves. That will continue in to season two I reckon.

divemaster
08-17-2013, 03:50 PM
That was definitely Angie at the end. They've been showing that tattoo about once an episode for the whole season; either it means something, or we're supposed to think it does and it'll end up being a misdirection.

That was a butterfly tattoo, but as far as I could tell it's not a monarch. The ones that covered the dome that one time were monarchs. CGI monarchs to be sure, but at least they got the color pattern close enough.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-18-2013, 06:23 PM
well we have since got CBS back so i got to see last week's episode. i missed the week before. i have yet to download it though. oh well.

anyways, it's i think nice to see people are starting to realize that it's nice not knowing what's going to happen. my guess is they will keep some of it from the book. but i dunno i think it's a good show that is getting better. honestly since it is like as it's been said Jericho i wasn't expecting it to last past this season. but i'm glad it did. and since SK is writing the 2nd seasons 1st episode now i'm dying to see that episode. he he.

Stockerlone
08-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Not so late... 04.September 2013
UtD in German free TV :clap:

Iwritecode
09-05-2013, 06:06 AM
This show is at the top of the ratings week after week yet nobody is talking about it? I don't get it... :confused:

divemaster
09-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Maybe because after the first episode, which had a passing resemblance to the novel, subsequent episodes have virtually nothing in common with the book or anything related to Stephen King. I don't know why I'm still watching this stupid and annoying show. Punishment I guess.

I thought about posting thoughts on each episode but they would all be quite snarky and negative. Plus, one hour a week wasted on this mess in enough.

Perhaps others feel the same way and that would explain the lack of interest in keeping up a discussion thread?

Iwritecode
09-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I just can't believe that all the SK fans are upset about the show going away from the book and it's millions of non-SK fans keeping the show at the top week after week.

I'm actually enjoying the fact that they aren't sticking strictly to the plot of the book. I never know quite what is going to happen or who is going to survive.

I didn't really like Max and I'm surprised that they got rid of her so quickly. It seems like they are starting a Barbie vs Big Jim theme that is closer to the book.

Shadow
09-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Ugh! I dont't understand this concept. I liked the book, thought it had the usual King flow, but would be way better as a movie! Haven on SyFy i think is better. At least they make plays on the other books.

I think the cell could have been a better tv series. Like the walking dead.

Heather19
09-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I agree with divemaster. Not really sure why I keep watching it. It actually takes me days to finally sit down and watch the episode from the current week. You would think with a King story that I loved that I'd be more into it, but I think that's why I'm not. I understand that things need to be changed when translating them to the screen and I'm not against that. But when you have such a great story and almost nothing resembles it, I just don't get it. Also alot of the changes they have made I hate.

I wonder how it's really doing. The few people I know that are watching it are just kinda ok with it, or honestly don't really care for it. Not sure they'll ever watch a second season of it.

OchrisO
09-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Anyone who has read my posts here over the years probably knows that it normally drives me insane when adaptations deviate from the source material. For some reason it is not bothering me in the case. I have no idea why that is. I am actually enjoying the show.

On a side note.......there's just something about Rachelle Lefevre who plays Julia Shumway that.......mmmm.......what? I lost my train of thought. What was I saying?

Bev Vincent
09-06-2013, 06:14 AM
On a side note.......there's just something about Rachelle Lefevre who plays Julia Shumway that.......mmmm.......what? I lost my train of thought. What was I saying?

Agreed!

I don't love the show, but I like it well enough to keep watching to see what they're going to do with it.

Jimimck
09-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I can accept that for the most part, the acting and casting isn't as good as it should be, but I'm still enjoying the show. Its good that the story differs from the book, cos now I get a NEW story to enjoy.

Even my wife is watching this with me and enjoying it, and its hard for me to usually get her to watch King related shows/movies.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
this season i think has gotten a LOT better than what it started out as. it doesn't bother me that it's away from the book either. and i agree there's a shitload of people who don't like SK at all who are no doubt watching this show. shit my mom can't stand the guy yet she's watched certain films of his and she's loving the show. and it did get her to think of reading the book as well. and she hasn't read a SK book since the green mile series 1st came out i of course me when it came out in parts monthly.

anyways, if you can believe it the finale ends on my 35th b-day which is next Monday.

CRinVA
09-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Will be interesting to see what happens, so that they can carry onto Season 2!

Iwritecode
09-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm still having trouble with the Big Jim character. Maybe it's because I'm seeing him from a viewpoint that the other characters in the town don't get to see, but I'm amazed that he gets anyone to follow him or believe a word he says.

He's supposed to be a used car salesman but he just doesn't have that charismatic, out-going, salesman type personality that he needs to cover up the type of person he really is.

I also don't like the flip-flopping in the attitudes of Linda and Junior. It's like one episode they hate Big Jim and want to kill him and the next episode they are willing to help him and do whatever he says.

Ricky
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
I agree, especially about Linda. What the heck is wrong with her! She was portrayed as someone level-headed and grounded early in the series and now she's just following Big Jim as if he's her superior. I hope she snaps out of it soon.

Overall, though, I REALLY enjoyed last night's ep.!

Jimimck
09-10-2013, 05:36 PM
She will see the light. Gotta build up some suspense though to make it look like Barbie is really up shit creek...

Roland of Gilead 33
09-10-2013, 06:08 PM
i recall the producers saying that a LOT questions will be answered but they are leaving a little bit they are keeping for next season if they are going to get renewed which they thankfully did. and i agree about Linda 100% what the fuck? on episode she wants to throw his ass in jail for all the shit he's done and the next she's fucking taking orders from him? when in the fuck did he become cheif ? also was it like this in the book as well?

and as for getting rid of Max shit i thought she was still going to be on the show next season to be honest.

Lurker
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
^^ Well, she's in Justified and The Following so I couldn't see how she could stay around in a third series...

Ricky
09-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I had no idea she was Joe Carroll's wife until last week.

Merlin1958
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm still having trouble with the Big Jim character. Maybe it's because I'm seeing him from a viewpoint that the other characters in the town don't get to see, but I'm amazed that he gets anyone to follow him or believe a word he says.

He's supposed to be a used car salesman but he just doesn't have that charismatic, out-going, salesman type personality that he needs to cover up the type of person he really is.

I also don't like the flip-flopping in the attitudes of Linda and Junior. It's like one episode they hate Big Jim and want to kill him and the next episode they are willing to help him and do whatever he says.

I think I agree. It's like they (the writers) depend on his character in the book, and then go from there with it whereever they want. Seems a little "off". Good call, dude!!!

Jon
09-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Angie's eyes keep changing from green to blue.

Am I the only one to notice this?

On a related note...Angie... future HOTTIE!

Roland of Gilead 33
09-13-2013, 08:47 PM
that's where i saw her from. i recall reading in tv guide in July i think? that she was going to be in the show. and that she was from the Following. but than i just couldn't place her when she did come on the show funny enough. i had no idea she was also on Justified either. wait.... just a damn minute he's a car salesman..??? he he actually that part i do recall from the book so you i'm sure figuring out i was kidding cause the show has barely even paid any kind of attention to that at all. also is it just me or has Dean Norris's weight gone from slim at the start of the season to

put some weight on during production of the series? off topic a tad but i recall seeing him in several other tv shows or films in the 90's i think. and wasn't he a huge fat guy back than? or is that just me? i keep forgetting to look that up.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-13-2013, 08:47 PM
also if the actress who plays Angie is over 18 than i can say she is a hottie. if she's not than i just sound like a damn pedophile when thankfully i'm not.

divemaster
09-14-2013, 06:57 AM
A pedophile is someone attracted to pre-pubescent children; think 10 years old or so. Finding a sexually developed 16 or 17 year old attractive does not make one a "damn pedophile." It does make you skeevy and outside the bounds of society's moral code (not to mention, the law) to actually hit on a teenager or seduce one. As well it should, as we have a duty to protect the emotionally immature and vulnerable. But that has nothing to do with pedophilia, which is in a totally separate class of evil.

Jon
09-14-2013, 08:20 AM
18 or not, I just think she will develop into a beauty. She is beautiful...not "I want to fuck her."

I find some flowers beautiful but have no desire to whip it out right there in the garden!

Roland of Gilead 33
09-14-2013, 07:41 PM
oh i know that. and i don't go after any woman under 18 anyways. 18 for me is to young to begin with. i'll be 35 on monday and so i'm past the 18 of dating 18 year olds anyways. my point is simply this if i see a singer or actress who grew up on screen or in the public eye. i feel more comfy myself once she turns 18 to be able to say how good she looks. it's just how i am.

the last one i thought was good looking that i felt when she turned 18 to be able to say she's good looking was Miley Cyrus. this was of course before she turned herself into one of Bridget Nielson's stunt doubles. shit now she looks like a Tranny that even Ru Paul would kick the fuck out of his club. if he has one that is. but she was at one time i think attractive. just not anymore.

OchrisO
09-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Britt Robertson, who plays Angie McAlister, is 23 years old anyway, so it doesn't matter. :)

Jon
09-16-2013, 08:48 AM
the last one i thought was good looking that i felt when she turned 18 to be able to say she's good looking was Miley Cyrus. this was of course before she turned herself into one of Bridget Nielson's stunt doubles.

:emot-roflolmao:

stkmw02
09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm totally over the TV series... I'm an instant gratification kind of person and it feels way too drawn out for me. I went from highly anticipating each episode to forgetting about them airing. I'll probably watch them all in one chunk at the end of the season, but I really lost interest when they announced there will be a second season. I just can't commit to that. lol

CRinVA
09-17-2013, 05:41 AM
ell teh Season finale is over - big cliffhanger of course - now the long long wait to Season 2 to see how the hell that is resolved. I definitely have mixed feelings about this.

I am liking Linda the cop less and less

Interested in hearing what others that saw last night have to say!

Bev Vincent
09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
I thought it was o-kay. It isn't Breaking Bad or Lost, but it's not bad, if you can put aside the fact that it isn't the novel. I think the ambiguity of so many of the characters -- even Linda -- is what makes it so interesting. No one is wearing a white hat all the time.

Iwritecode
09-17-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm disappointed that they seem to be going with the "aliens did it" route like they did in the book. Although I'm very curious to see what happens with Big Jim's deceased wife. How could she have possibly painted those pictures long before the events occured?

I mentioned it before but I still don't like the waffling of Junior and Linda. They can't seem to pick a side.

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned that Barbie deserves a fair trial in front of a jury of his peers. Big Jim made a point in one episode that "this is still America". What happened to that? They are going to simply watch a man be executed based on the word of a car salesman?

Merlin1958
09-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm disappointed that they seem to be going with the "aliens did it" route like they did in the book. Although I'm very curious to see what happens with Big Jim's deceased wife. How could she have possibly painted those pictures long before the events occured?

I mentioned it before but I still don't like the waffling of Junior and Linda. They can't seem to pick a side.

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned that Barbie deserves a fair trial in front of a jury of his peers. Big Jim made a point in one episode that "this is still America". What happened to that? They are going to simply watch a man be executed based on the word of a car salesman?

Yeah, I'm actually okay with the "Alien" thing as it seems to be the only logical way they can go. What is rapidly putting me off is the ambiguity of the characters. I don't care that they are not following the book to the letter. It's just that there seems to be absolutely no continuity (?) in their actions/character. They seem to jump around according to the writer's whims of the week. Add to that I have absolutely no theories on the mythology (?) that the show is developing and the fact that it is a story designed for constant "flux" and ratings based. They could pull the plug at any time and it would seem that no finite structure is in place for an eventual endgame.

To m, those factors have waned my interest. I'm not up for another "Lost" fiasco.

stkmw02
09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Bill, that's how I feel as well... no consistency from show to show in the characters or story development. And it isn't the type of thing you can draw out like this.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-17-2013, 07:17 AM
I'm from the UK and don't normally watch US dramas. I have only watched this series because I liked the book, but I think this drama is awful. Don't think I will watch the second series.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Do you like the Dome in black or white?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/utd_b_w.jpg

cit74
09-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I am a little tired of the whole town just following whatever whim Big Jim has - like sheep and lemmings - a little too unrealistic, especially as it has drawn on. I too am a little less interested. Especially when I can flip over and watch a series like Ray Donovan - which I just started. Now that show has me drawn in.

Ricky
09-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I loved the finale! I really wish each episode had been as intense as that. Following the book or not, that was one great hour of television. It does seem to be that they're going the "alien" route, though, which is a little disappointing since we've been told to expect something different entirely. Of course, the writers could be tricking us.

Also, I can't stand Colin Ford's (Joe) acting. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Merlin1958
09-18-2013, 04:51 PM
I loved the finale! I really wish each episode had been as intense as that. Following the book or not, that was one great hour of television. It does seem to be that they're going the "alien" route, though, which is a little disappointing since we've been told to expect something different entirely. Of course, the writers could be tricking us.

Also, I can't stand Colin Ford's (Joe) acting. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I have enjoyed it so far, but it is starting to get that "Network TV" feel. And, yes, scarecrow Joe needs work!!

Heather19
09-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Just got round to watching the finale, and I hated it. I doubt I'll even tune into season 2. If it wasn't for being based on a book I love, I think I would have stopped watching by the third episode. I don't know, I'm just very disappointed in it. Wish they had stuck with keeping it a miniseries.

Jimimck
09-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Do you like the Dome in black or white?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/utd_b_w.jpg

I think the black one was cool, but there was a little too much ambient light inside.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-18-2013, 07:48 PM
actually i think his acting has gotten better. for me the show started out in some people to have medicore acting. but it actually has gotten better and for that i'm grateful. with Junior i think they just want to have him i don't know maybe be a bit more saner than in the book? i think the point with his character was he started out a douch bag. and i dunno maybe him being part of that group made him a bit more sane, not by much but a bit more.

i got the feeling that at the end he still hadn't made up his mind about big jim. but he was going to give him the benefit of the doubt just to see what he has i dunno maybe go to say? with Linda i agree what the fuck? she started out like a sane and likable character. than i have no idea what the fuck happend to her. one episode she's about to throw his ass in jail & the next minute she's talking orders from a fucking used car saleslman! even though that's not even talked about on the show well barely.

i have the feeling for the ending they did 2 endings well filmed 2 endings. 1. would be if they hadn't been renewed for a 2nd season and another if they had. i have no proof on that but this just what i think. i also have a feeling that folks on here will at least watch the 1st episode of season 2 cause stephen king is writing it. i dunno maybe they are changing the reason a little bit? or rather how it was done in the book maybe?

i do wonder how so many people are driving though. yes it is pointed out that cars are getting gas stolen Linda's cruiser for example. but still it will only last so long. i loved the finale actually. but i think it did need to be 2 hrs. that finale didn't feel as big as it does on some shows. like for example on bones in season 7 where the cliff-hanger was she is accused of murder and goes on the run with the baby for example.

anyways i enjoyed it and i'll be back next summer watching it. i think the key to watching the show is if you liked or hated the book, is just to like any adaptation you have to leave the comparison at the door as the old saying goes. just be open minded i guess. i will say this though

i think the show is far far far far far far far far far far far far far etc.. you get the idea better than the tv film of Bag of shit. as i call it. bag of bones.that film was beyond awful. i hope that gets remade someday. the directing was fine. but the acting wasn't that great. and the script was terrible. yes some actors were fine in it. but other than that. i'd rather watch under the dome than that. at least with under the dome i'm not falling asleep on the 1st part. like i was during that part one of that awful film.

twice
10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm 10 episodes into Under the Dome. I liked the 1st episode. Not much else so far. Some moments feel like im watching a show for teens on the CW. My hope is that it wraps up within 2 or 3 seasons and isn't dragged out like Lost was.

RUBE
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I am guessing by the lack of comments here that most of you decided it wasn't worth coming back for season 2. It still is a completely different story and some of the acting is terrible (like when everyone was just passing out.) However, there is still enough mystery to keep me interested and they did do a major course correction towards the book already this season. Besides, what else is there to watch this time of year?

Roseannebarr
07-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Don't much enjoy the show, but I loved the episode Stephen King wrote! The appliances, knives, etc... causing havoc in the dome, where my favorite scenes. I am going to give it a second try, but I only saw a few episodes last season. just didn't hook me at all!!!

webstar1000
07-08-2014, 02:50 AM
This is show is a pile of shit. King should have never let this happen.

racerx45
07-08-2014, 09:27 AM
This is show is a pile of shit. King should have never let this happen.

I agree, I get that a lot of what was in the book just won’t work on network TV but having characters that are polar opposites of what they were in the book is just pointless.

Ricky
07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I really liked this season's premiere and enjoyed last night's episode too, so we'll see where it goes from here. I think there's a good number of mysteries to keep me interested. It's a moot point to even be discussing book-to-film changes anymore since Season 2 isn't even remotely like the book.

It seems like Rebecca is going to be the new Linda in that she'll become Big Jim's mouthpiece.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-13-2014, 12:54 PM
That's it. After Monday's episode, noone can say that King did not rip-off the Simpsons Movie!

Maggie had a tunnel out of the dome from her sand pit, and the TV series has just copied it straight from the movie. (Okay, they have a red door, but it is still a rip-off).

King, who is an Executive Producer, is now wide open to litigation, any 2-bit lawyer should be able to prove plaigarism.

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 12:58 PM
That's it. After Monday's episode, noone can say that King did not rip-off the Simpsons Movie!

Maggie had a tunnel out of the dome from her sand pit, and the TV series has just copied it straight from the movie. (Okay, they have a red door, but it is still a rip-off).

King, who is an Executive Producer, is now wide open to litigation, any 2-bit lawyer should be able to prove plaigarism.

Yeah, it appears as if the show has gone off the rails. Is everyone from "The Leftovers", Under the Dome or on the Island and vice versa? LOL Or, will they find a new door that leads to the "Island" and, Jacob? LOL Is TMIB far behind? LOL

Ricky
08-13-2014, 01:36 PM
:lol:

I've really been enjoying this season, but this past episode was a little "eh" to me. I think they did too much too quick.

webstar1000
08-13-2014, 05:32 PM
I stopped watching this garbage weeks ago...

RUBE
08-13-2014, 08:31 PM
I am still watching but I am not sure why.

Merlin, we get it by now that you hated the end to Lost but even you have to admit this show is way worse.

Merlin1958
08-13-2014, 09:16 PM
I am still watching but I am not sure why.

Merlin, we get it by now that you hated the end to Lost but even you have to admit this show is way worse.

Absolutely. I keep watching though sort of like viewing an accident in process. LOL For the record, LOST was the most amazing TV show in history, until they fucked it up in the end.

Ricky
08-14-2014, 07:05 AM
If I had a dollar for every time you said you hated the Lost finale...

mattgreenbean
08-14-2014, 07:54 AM
I haven't watched any of the second season, guess I'm not missing out.

Iwritecode
08-14-2014, 01:22 PM
I’ve got 2 or 3 episodes saved on my DVR. I just haven’t been motivated enough to actually watch them yet. On all the message boards I read, nobody is really talking about the show at all.

Merlin1958
08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
If I had a dollar for every time you said you hated the Lost finale...

It's just that it still drives me nuts. It was such an amazing show and then.....

Oh, hell. Yes you would be a rich man!!! Is it time to move on, Ricky? LOL

Ricky
08-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Is it time to move on, Ricky? LOL

Yes, just like the Island. :D

Merlin1958
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Is it time to move on, Ricky? LOL

Yes, just like the Island. :D

Okay, I am officially done with "Lost"!!! I feel lighter!! LOL

CRinVA
08-15-2014, 06:38 AM
I think that ending any story is the hardest thing to do! Life goes on, people die, new people replace those passed on! Happy endings (ala Disney), surprise endings (ala The Sixth Sense), not so happy endings ("and they all died.....think of a japanese storyteller relating the tale of Hiroshima and Magasaki - not too happy for them!)

To me it's not the ending but the journey. The Lost journey was a blast, as was Roland's journey - the endings only so so! Seinfeld - loved the series from the gitgo - hated the ending! The Bob Newhart Show - I thought the ending was brilliant! Think about The Mist - the story and the movie! The story ending just left you hanging wondering what was next. The Darabont movie version left your jaw hitting the floor!

jmho!

And to get back on topic - Under the Dome. I like it, its not the book, just took the premise from the book. I'm ok with that! It's entertainment! I loved the book but thought the ending lame. Perhaps the TV series ending will be lame too! I don't really care as I am just along for the ride! :-)

Iwritecode
08-15-2014, 06:52 AM
I think that a bad ending can ruin a good story but a good ending can really enhance it. Many of my favorite books, movies and TV shows are the ones that I consider to have really good endings. They don’t always end exactly the way I would want and they aren’t always happy, but at least they are satisfying. Like Hearts In Atlantis or 11/22/63.

One ending that was especially bad was the TV show Rosanne. The last 5 minutes of the series finale literally negated the entire run of the show. Everything we saw from season 1 to the end was wrong or made-up. I really enjoyed the show so I chose to pretty much block out those last 5 minutes. Actually, I block out most of the final season.

Ricky
07-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Anyone watching Season 3? I just watched the premiere last night and enjoyed it.

RUBE
07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I forgot that it was still around. It wasn't very good so I am debating whether it is worth it to find the season premiere online or not.

Still Servant
07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever seen a show go from "solid" to "unwatchable" in a span of 3 seasons. Hell, you could make the case that it was the span of 2 seasons.

I really enjoyed the first season, but season 2 was pure garbage. I just finished the first episode of season 3 and there are parts that are just laughable.

All shows go downhill eventually, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one do it as fast as Under the Dome.

EDIT: I almost forgot, there was a part of the premiere where Dean Norris is watching home videos of his son and then he shoots the TV and says, "Nothing good on TV anyway." Speak for yourself, Under the Dome. :lol:

Still Servant
07-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Clearly nobody gives a shit about this show anymore. The only reason I'm still watching is because it's so laughable.

Season 3 is easily some of the worst TV I've ever seen. What a mess.

Bev Vincent
08-01-2015, 08:34 AM
We watched the 2-hour season premiere last night and there was a whole lot of WTF going on. I might watch the next episode just because EVERYTHING WILL BE EXPLAINED but the series has turned into a trainwreck, and not the kind featuring Amy Schumer. How is it possible for people's acting skills to get worse over time?

Still Servant
08-01-2015, 02:16 PM
I might watch the next episode just because EVERYTHING WILL BE EXPLAINED but the series has turned into a trainwreck, and not the kind featuring Amy Schumer. How is it possible for people's acting skills to get worse over time?

Keep telling yourself that. :lol:

I'm not sure what happened, but you're right the acting has gotten worse. Maybe this just proves it's all about the material. Maybe it's not the actors at all, maybe the material is so bad it's impossible for an actor to make it look good. Who knows.

needfulthings
08-01-2015, 02:57 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/1508/Qrr1ar.jpg

Still Servant
08-01-2015, 03:59 PM
I know it's time to let it go, but I just can't.

It's like a disease. TV OCD.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-01-2015, 11:22 PM
It's even worse for us Europeans!

It's now the only Stephen King book I will never be able to read again.

Br!an
08-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I watched the season opener and couldn't bring myself to watch anymore.

Still Servant
08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I watched the season opener and couldn't bring myself to watch anymore.

I wish I had your power.

Jon
08-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I haven't watched in quite sometime because it became too painful. I just watched the latest... HOLY SHIT! If it were a horse they'd have shoved a grenade up it's ass and fed it an apple flavored grenade.

ICry4Oy
09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
CBS has cancelled Under The Dome.

Still Servant
09-02-2015, 05:52 PM
CBS has cancelled Under The Dome.

Thank the lord. Put it out of its misery. This season is one of the worst seasons of TV I've ever seen. No joke.