PDA

View Full Version : Joyland Discussion - SPOILERS

jhanic
06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
I've decided to start a thread dedicated to Joyland. A number of posts in Calvin's Corner should be moved here.

John

becca69
06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks ;)

Brian James Freeman
06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks! :)

Dan
06-07-2013, 02:55 PM
I just finished. First of all, I loved it. I think back to something said in Hearts in Atlantis, some books have good writing, some have good stories and some have both. This has both. For me a book gets a good rating when I feel an emotional attachment to the characters. This has that. Dev is a very likable person. I wish I was able to describe what I'm thinking. The best I can say is that the "ride" of reading through this book was so enjoyable that I wanted it to go on. There are some books where once you know how they end, that's it. They might be clever or action packed but nothing more than just a cheap thrill.

Right now I don't have much in way of discussion. Although I do wish that Dev had had the opportunity to see the ghost.

subie09lega
06-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I agree with your review, the characters are likable and seem real, not flat. I blew through it in two days which doesn't happen often, it is a fairly short book but it grabbed my attention and held it. A couple things tipped off the culprit. The white hair and the tipped hat. I don't try to figure things out before I get to the end, but these two clues tipped it off for me.

I just finished. First of all, I loved it. I think back to something said in Hearts in Atlantis, some books have good writing, some have good stories and some have both. This has both. For me a book gets a good rating when I feel an emotional attachment to the characters. This has that. Dev is a very likable person. I wish I was able to describe what I'm thinking. The best I can say is that the "ride" of reading through this book was so enjoyable that I wanted it to go on. There are some books where once you know how they end, that's it. They might be clever or action packed but nothing more than just a cheap thrill.
Right now I don't have much in way of discussion. Although I do wish that Dev had had the opportunity to see the ghost.

subie09lega
06-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I think that this can happen when the right personalities are thrown together and they know that they will be together a lot in the future. I've met people and our personalities just click so that it seems that we've known each other for years. I felt that this was the case with the Joyland trio, they just clicked. Other people that I've known for years and it seems I hardly know them at all.

(from another thread) I enjoyed the book.....I think my only complaint was the relationship between Jonesy and Annie & Mike seemed a little too friendly a little too fast...other than that I enjoyed the read.

Bryant Burnette
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I thought it was great. My favorite King novels of the last decade are Duma Key, The Dark Tower, and 11/22/63, and this one sits beside those pretty damn comfortably.

Ricky
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Just finished it and loved every page. I really didn't have any expectations one way or the other before I started, but was really surprised with how good it was. I haven't come across too many books lately that are both emotionally satisfying AND an exciting page turner, so that was a treat.

And just when I thought SK might let Mike live.

Dan
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I actually had thought there would be a little more story of Dev trying to "save" Mike. Early on and a few times during the book it was mentioned that Dev can't save them all, so that is what I was expecting.

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 07:40 AM
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but here's some news from the Publishers Weekly daily email today:

"A trade paperback that has no e-book available, Stephen King’s Joyland, from Hard Case Crime, sold about 74,000 copies last week, making it the third bestselling print title in the week trailing only Entwined and Inferno."

Brian

Ricky
06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Does that number seem kind of low to anyone else? Especially for King?

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Does that number seem kind of low to anyone else? Especially for King?

I've heard a lot of reports of people only finding 5 or 10 copies of the book in their local Barnes & Noble, with those copies back in the fiction section or on an endcap instead of out front. Random House handles the US distribution for Titan, so maybe they didn't want to pay for the prime real estate at the front of the stores and that hurt sales?

Brian

Ricky
06-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Definitely possible. I know I wouldn't have found all the copies I did unless I went searching all over BN. I mean, there weren't even any in the Stephen King section. :lol:

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Definitely possible. I know I wouldn't have found all the copies I did unless I went searching all over BN. I mean, there weren't even any in the Stephen King section. :lol:

Richard actually helped a little old lady find a copy in our local B&N because the employees didn't know where they were.

Brian

Ricky
06-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Same thing happened to me. Your nearest one isn't White Marsh, is it?

Brian James Freeman
06-14-2013, 08:52 AM

The Bel Air store, actually, but it's sounding like a very common issue.

Brian

jhanic
06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
I found my copies at the B&N on the "New in Paperback" table. They had 10-15 copies there.

John

Ricky
06-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe people in Ohio are more literate than Maryland? It wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

mtdman
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
I enjoyed the book, it was a fun read. I was surprised as to how short the book was, but yet it was very concise, and a complete story.

I thought King did a good job describing the inner world of the Joyland park, and the life of working in the park, the life of being a carnie. He made it seem very romantic. Yet he didn't get too involved or add too much unnecessary information or side stories that weren't pertinent to the main plot. Devon and the rest of the characters were very likeable, even the bit players like the costume lady and the landlord.

I was surprised by the 'twist' and how the book ended. Overall it was a great read. The narrator of the audio book wasn't so great, but it didn't spoil the book for me.

One complaint. King couldn't resist his jabs against Dick Cheney and the Christian faith. I get tired of his politics making its way into his books. His recent books would be much better if they didn't include his political jabs. It's pretty tiresome.

Merlin1958
06-20-2013, 05:07 PM
One complaint. King couldn't resist his jabs against Dick Cheney and the Christian faith. I get tired of his politics making its way into his books. His recent books would be much better if they didn't include his political jabs. It's pretty tiresome.

Gotta agree with you on that point.

Kingfan24
06-20-2013, 08:14 PM

That's why I almost had to rip up under the dome - I mean look at the illustration of Jim rennie. I'm tired of the politics and bashing of religion as well. I know we all have our views but c'mon.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-22-2013, 04:40 PM
I am of the opinion that it is his story, I guess he should be allowed to tell it however he wants too.

Stebbins
06-22-2013, 07:11 PM
John, thank you for starting this thread, I've been looking for this for the past few days.

I loved this book; the hard-boiled style, the nods to Donald Westlake, all of his messages about growing up and being the person you are meant to be.

I agree with Brownings on the debate point. I'm Catholic, and Libertarian but I lean towards Republicans on the majority of issues, but I think it's the author's right to write the story how he or she sees fit. Every piece of writing is going to have the author's opinions in it one way or another, even if it's the polar opposite. I don't think it was overdone, or tarnished the story in any way.

Steve
06-22-2013, 10:33 PM
I really dug this one. Breezed through it in a day. King really knows how to get to the meat of a coming-of-age tale, and this is no exception. I had the killer pegged by the halfway point, though, but it really didn't matter because it played out so wonderfully. I also found it to be quite cinematic.

mtdman
06-23-2013, 03:16 AM

That's why I almost had to rip up under the dome - I mean look at the illustration of Jim rennie. I'm tired of the politics and bashing of religion as well. I know we all have our views but c'mon.

Under the Dome is a horrible book because of the political bitterness. King's best books are those which have none of that in it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Under the Dome is a great book. Easily top 10 for me. I guess if King makes one of his characters a right wing DB, then that must be a reflection of King himself.....or it could just be a character in a work of fiction. Hopefully King doesn't ever write about an Islamic fundamentalist terrorist, because I guess by your rationale, that would make SK Osama Bin Laden.

Jean
06-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Under the Dome is a great book. Easily top 10 for me. yes

...or it could just be a character in a work of fiction

yes

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 06:46 AM
I didn't even notice the Cheney thing. I was too busy enjoying the story. Dunno, maybe that kind of stuff stands out more when your own beliefs don't align with author's. If it was truly just about not mixing religion and politics and fiction, well, please go make the same kind of posts about The Stand, 'Salem's Lot and DT books with Callahan. There's a pretty heavy-handed pro-Christian feel to The Stand. It's still one of my favourites and I'm taking it to have it signed in October.

jhanic
06-24-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm about the opposite of King's political opinions as can be, but I barely noticed those mentioned in Joyland. The story just grabbed me.

John

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Yep. Sometimes you just have to accept that people are different and roll with it. My beliefs are not exactly in sync with King but they're pretty close. There are others though from whom I couldn't be further but I still love their books (Simmons, Koontz, Frank Miller, OSC, Heinlein, the guy who writes Fables). A good story is a good story, period.

Jean
06-24-2013, 12:01 PM
There are others though from whom I couldn't be further<...> (<...> Koontz<...>
LOL, I remember that every I've read Koontz (regrettably few so far), I thought, "Wow, that's exactly how I feel about [this or that]". As you just said, people are different (to say nothing of bears)

mtdman
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
I didn't even notice the Cheney thing. I was too busy enjoying the story. Dunno, maybe that kind of stuff stands out more when your own beliefs don't align with author's. If it was truly just about not mixing religion and politics and fiction, well, please go make the same kind of posts about The Stand, 'Salem's Lot and DT books with Callahan. There's a pretty heavy-handed pro-Christian feel to The Stand. It's still one of my favourites and I'm taking it to have it signed in October.

Nope. It's about him interjecting his political/religious bitterness into his stories. I don't much care what his political views are, whether they agree with mine or not. I don't care to read stories with any of that interjected. The Stand and 'Salem's Lot involved religion, but did not include opinions in favor one way or the other. None of the Dick Cheney stuff, or the NRA stuff, or the Baptist Preacher stuff was integral to the story and was just a matter of King spewing his personal bitter opinions. IMO as a story teller, that is irresponsible.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-25-2013, 05:57 PM
I think it produces a well-defined FICTIONAL character.

Ben Mears
06-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Although I found the Jim Rennie right wing nut job caricature in UTD to be overkill at least it was within context of the story. The Cheney reference in Joyland came out of the blue and had no bearing on the story. The good news is If SK needs straw man characters for future novels he need look no further than the current administration for inspiration.

Don Winslow
07-04-2013, 10:49 AM

I'm gonna piggy back on this. I'm closest to the Towson location. I had to hunt for a copy. Nothing in the SK section, just two copies on the new in paperback section. It was an off day at the Towson location, tho. Hardly any employees around. I couldn't even find Curt and I always see him.

But, anyway, I really enjoyed this one. Ardai said the end made him cry and I wasn't too far behind. Gobbled it within a day, hit all the right emotional points.

ChristineB
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the forums Don!!

As to political/religon stuff in this book, there was so little I didn't even notice it. *shrug*

Merlin1958
07-04-2013, 05:30 PM

I'm gonna piggy back on this. I'm closest to the Towson location. I had to hunt for a copy. Nothing in the SK section, just two copies on the new in paperback section. It was an off day at the Towson location, tho. Hardly any employees around. I couldn't even find Curt and I always see him.

But, anyway, I really enjoyed this one. Ardai said the end made him cry and I wasn't too far behind. Gobbled it within a day, hit all the right emotional points.

Welcome to the boards!!!

Don Winslow
07-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Thankee, all. I am well met, I'll tell ya that!

CyberGhostface
07-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I didn't get the impression that King was attacking the Christian faith given that the story seems to confirm the existence of the afterlife, something that Annie doesn't initially believe. Stephen King talked about God for an interview about Joyland and said he believes in intelligent design (or the possibility of it at least). Granted he has had a couple of negative depictions of Christianity in his books but I don't know how you can look at The Stand or Desperation or Father Callahan's arc in the last three Dark Tower books and see King as an anti-Christian writer. He doesn't strike me as being bitter either just because he has a few pointed views.

Also I really enjoyed the book but I am a bit amused for a line called "Hard Case Crime" that it's probably his most low-key story to date with the crime element only coming to the forefront in the last third of the story. I'm sure the publisher isn't complaining though. :P Joyland's probably one of those books that I'd give to someone who hasn't read a Stephen King book before and thinks that he's just a horror writer.

johnsmith87
07-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, King's beliefs are definitely not "bitter", far from it.

biomieg
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
King has stated repeatedly that he believes in God. He only has issues with certain excesses of organized religion.

harrison ryan
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
King has stated repeatedly that he believes in God.

He even sounded like he was waffling a bit on that during the interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air. But, yeah. I think his views have evolved a bit over the years, as is natural.

Merlin1958
07-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I didn't get the impression that King was attacking the Christian faith given that the story seems to confirm the existence of the afterlife, something that Annie doesn't initially believe. Stephen King talked about God for an interview about Joyland and said he believes in intelligent design (or the possibility of it at least). Granted he has had a couple of negative depictions of Christianity in his books but I don't know how you can look at The Stand or Desperation or Father Callahan's arc in the last three Dark Tower books and see King as an anti-Christian writer. He doesn't strike me as being bitter either just because he has a few pointed views.

Also I really enjoyed the book but I am a bit amused for a line called "Hard Case Crime" that it's probably his most low-key story to date with the crime element only coming to the forefront in the last third of the story. I'm sure the publisher isn't complaining though. :P Joyland's probably one of those books that I'd give to someone who hasn't read a Stephen King book before and thinks that he's just a horror writer.

I really enjoyed the story as well, but you're right. There was little "HCC" to be had in it. It almost could have been a fifth novella in Different Seasons.

Stebbins
07-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm about the opposite of King's political opinions as can be, but I barely noticed those mentioned in Joyland. The story just grabbed me.

John

Yes. :thumbsup:

Iwritecode
08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I just finished this book about an hour ago. I didn't actually figure out who the killer was until it was revealed.

I really liked this book though. It sort of reminded me of Hearts In Atlantis, which is my favorite SK book. Just wish it could've been a little longer.

Jean
08-22-2013, 05:23 AM
this book is absolutely fucking awesome

interesting how people compare it to HiA or 22/11. I didn't like either of them, and I adored every word of Joyland.

ladysai
10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Joyland's probably one of those books that I'd give to someone who hasn't read a Stephen King book before and thinks that he's just a horror writer.

It almost could have been a fifth novella in Different Seasons.

Yes! Yes!
While reading Joyland, I was thinking 'this is the King who told us the stories 'Stand by Me' and 'Shawshank Redemption'!
Of course, I know logically that the same man wrote all the books, but somehow when the extraordinary circumstances and events of the story are stripped down to the mortal realm, the storyteller's voice comes through better. I guess Im trying to say that when King writes outside of the supernatural and/or metaphysical elements to a story, then his characters get all his attention...to the benefit of all. :)

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't think he has to write outside of the supernatural for this (see It and The Stand to name just two), but this aside, I totally agree with you. Joyland is incredible.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-01-2013, 10:30 PM
How does Joyland compare to Colorado Kid? I would expect their voice to be similar, but I havent read The Colorado Kid.

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:38 PM
They can't be compared at all. The Colorado Kid is told in this unbearable, badly stylized voice of a narrator who feels obliged to say a wise saying in every line and a proverb in every paragraph, as if old people suddenly lose all ability to speak normally.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Ahhh...good to know. I'll probable still get to it at some point, as that and Faithful are the only two SK books I haven't read. I have a copy of TCK, but it is my one and only S/L book. So, I will wait for a reader copy.

Heather19
10-02-2013, 05:51 AM
I agree with Jean, you can't even compare the two. I wasn't a huge fan of The Colorado Kid, but I loved Joyland. Might be one of my favorites. Reminded me of his older writings, plus I just loved the setting.

Jean
10-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Might be one of my favorites.mine too! mine too! :rose: :rose: :rose:

jhanic
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Agreed.

John

Kingfan24
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Although Joyland wasn't really a typical King horror/thriller I loved it and I to would say it's probably one of my favorites!

mae
11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I felt the story took a while to get going but the second half was superb. King's really been in a roll lately with new classics like Duma Key, Full Dark, No Stars, 11/22/63, and Joyland.

Merlin1958
11-19-2013, 10:04 PM
I felt the story took a while to get going but the second half was superb. King's really been in a roll lately with new classics like Duma Key, Full Dark, No Stars, 11/22/63, and Joyland.

Don't forget "Dr. Sleep". I really enjoyed this book. Not so much for the "True Knot", which I still thought was an innovative adversary, but the continued story of, Danny. I really enjoyed this continuation of the story!!

mae
11-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Haven't gotten to it yet.

Merlin1958
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Haven't gotten to it yet.

Then, get busy, slacker!!! LOL

zelig
01-12-2015, 11:06 PM
I stumbled on this by accident on Amazon. Did we know about this edition? Maybe I missed a discussion on it but it's the first I've heard of it: Joyland Illustrated Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Joyland-Illustrated-Stephen-King/dp/1783295325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421169302&sr=8-1&keywords=joyland+illustrated).

Brian James Freeman
01-13-2015, 07:11 AM
I stumbled on this by accident on Amazon. Did we know about this edition? Maybe I missed a discussion on it but it's the first I've heard of it: Joyland Illustrated Edition (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1783295325/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421132155&sr=1-1&pi=V192198896_AA75).

Interesting, it's due to September 8, 2015...

WeDealInLead
01-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Description on Amazon.ca says it's the second edition so maybe it's just a reprint by Hardcase?

zelig
01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it's interesting... and I saw that Sep release date. I might be a reprint like you say, bu I'm not sure because why would it be called the "Illustrated" edition...I've pre-ordered one anyway... I'm sure some information will trickle in at some point...

stroppygoblin
01-13-2015, 12:18 PM
The original was also 'illustrated'

zelig
01-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Oh, didn't know that.

Heather19
01-13-2015, 02:43 PM

How do you mean?

WeDealInLead
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
The UK hardcover edition had black and white illustrations. I thought they were pretty nice.

Heather19
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Ah ok. Do we have pictures of them here on the site? I'd like to see them.

zelig
01-13-2015, 02:46 PM
The UK hardcover edition had black and white illustrations. I thought they were pretty nice.

I'm drawing a blank... or maybe I didn't even know about a UK hardcover edition. Do you have any photos of it?

zelig
01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Me too. I checked the catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2) and it isn't there.

WeDealInLead
01-13-2015, 02:51 PM
There were three editions: trade, S/L (identical to trade + signature page), lettered.

zelig
01-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Oh okay, that one. I forgot it was a UK edition.

WeDealInLead
01-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Me too. I checked the catalog (http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=imagelimit2) and it isn't there.

Pics and info: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Joyland+-+S+L

zelig
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
So there was an unsigned one? It isn't shown as unsigned on that page from the catalog.

Heather19
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM

Pics and info: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Joyland+-+S+L

Thank you very much!

WeDealInLead
01-13-2015, 03:01 PM
So there was an unsigned one? It isn't shown as unsigned on that page from the catalog.

It's in the collectibles catalogue too but I posted the link to the S/L edition for pictures.

Trade
(http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Joyland+-+Unsigned+1+1500)

zelig
01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Ah okay... I just have to look! Thanks so much.... I completely missed that there was an unsigned edition. I have the signed limited but not the unsigned. Will have to add that to the list.

zelig
01-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Just finished reading Joyland. Another one for the better-late-than-never file. I really enjoyed it like most everyone who commented here. The political and religious opinions didn't bother me in the least. It was just like one line or so. If it was a longer rant then sure that would probably have been tiring. Definitely one of my favorites.

Cordial Jim
03-17-2015, 06:37 PM
I absolutely LOVED Joyland. It's in my Top 10, which really surprised me. Has anybody heard any information about the upcoming illustrated edition? All I've heard is the release date (September), but no details.

Jon
03-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Joyland clearly had an audience but it wasn't aimed at me. I must admit to being bored for the mass of the book. It just wasn't my taste. I see it's charm. Just not for me. I have been more enthralled reading trade publications. I mean that honestly. The supernatural aspect of the book did not live up to it's hype. When Mother said "Clearly he did not tell you everything." Then, of course being a King book, I was expecting so much more.

Cordial Jim
10-04-2015, 08:10 AM
The new Illustrated Edition finally arrived the other day. Hard Case Crime did a nice job with it. I really like the interior illustrations. This one's my favorite (what a great scene that was)... :)

http://magnum-mania.com/images/joyland_2.jpg

jhanic
10-04-2015, 08:59 AM
I agree. I liked a lot of the illustrations. My only problem with the book is the deckled edges of the pages. It makes it hard to flip through the book to see the illustrations.

John

mae
04-05-2024, 08:42 AM
The Losers Club Podcast episode on the novel:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/podcasts/3806796/stephen-kings-joyland-losers-club-podcast/