PDA

View Full Version : Ever throw a book?

mikeC
06-04-2013, 11:56 AM
My wife told me last night while watching this week's Game of Thrones that she threw the book across the room while reading that part in the book of what happened. It got me thinking of how many times I heard or saw someone throw a book across the room bc of either aggravation or surprise that a story caused. My friend in college ran across the building just to throw the book Fear at me. That was funny, I'm not sure if I threw that one or not but I probably thought about it. My brother's friend threw The Long Walk into the Atlantic bc he hated the ending so much.
I just thought this was a funny part of life and was hoping you guys might have had the same experience. Anyone have a good story about throwing a book?

fernandito
06-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I threw a book to kill a cockroach once. Does that count?

Bethany
06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
If everyone that says they threw their book across the room when they read the Red Wedding actually did, I think Earth would be moved from its orbit.

Ben Staad
06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I threw my bible at the Principal (and pastor) of my christian highschool. Afterwords I repented and all was well.

RainInSpain
06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Never happened to me. I do not throw objects of value such as the books that I choose to read. Or any objects, for that matter. And certainly no one has ever attempted throwing a book at me - they all fear the retaliation :lol:

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-04-2013, 03:41 PM
It took all my willpower NOT to throw LISEY'S STORY against the wall. But I didn't want to damage the wall.

Merlin1958
06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I threw my bible at the Principal (and pastor) of my christian highschool. Afterwords I repented and all was well.

A Bible, Tim? For shame!!! LOL

I tossed DT7 after I got to the end the first time I read it. I have since reconciled and repented as well.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
yes i have thrown many books, growing up i wasn't always able to control my temper, so like any kid i'd throw one. and sometimes i'd go upstairs and i try to read and i'll end up throwing whatevrer book i'm reading. hell even as an adult i may not throw tantrums like i did as a kid. but if something is really pissing me off and i'm trying to not well throw a tantrum like i did as a kid. i'll throw some book i'm reading. but thankfully i'm more laid back than i used to be. so i don't get pissed off like i used to.

Brice
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't think I've ever thrown a book...not that I recall at least, but when I had my own place I had a friend staying with me and as sometimes happens things got tense between us. We'd been arguing quite a bit this one day and finally I decided I was done with it and sat down and picked up one of those pleatherbound Hitchhiker's guide omnibuses and announced that I was done arguing while she was still fuming...I'm reading now. Of course she kept going and I completely ignored it...smiled and kept reading. She stormed across the room, snatched the book out my hand, ripped a bunch of pages out, tossed the whole mess and told me you're not reading now. I still wearing the smile said I'd read that one before, stolled across the room, grabbed another book, and went back to the recliner to resume reading.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
I've thrown an Algebra book....I wasn't sorry...I did not repent......at the end of the semester, I forfeited the 5$ trade in I could have gotten for that piece o' shit, and shot it into many pieces with my 20 gauge....I was still unrepentant.

Brice
06-05-2013, 04:09 AM
...and still you are?

jhanic
06-05-2013, 04:33 AM
I came very close to throwing DT III - The Waste Lands because of the cliffhanger ending. I didn't, but I came close.

John

Roland of Gilead 33
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
i think i did do that before Wizard & Glass came out. but i can't remember. cause it's been many years.

Merlin1958
06-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Lord, I so envy those of you that started after he finished the series. What a fucked up 25 years it was!!! LOL

Jimimck
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Never thrown a book, but I did rip out the last page of a book my mum was reading once as a joke. (As a teenager, before I came to love books). I used to move her bookmarks on her (make her read the same chapter again etc), and once she told me what happened in a book I was reading (I think she spoilt something in Needful Things), so as retaliation I hid the last page of a book for like two weeks... So funny.

Joe315
06-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I came very close to throwing DT III - The Waste Lands because of the cliffhanger ending. I didn't, but I came close.

John

I almost threw one due to a cliff hanger too, wherein the main character had just jumped off a cliff to save someone. Had to wait 2ish years for the sequel.

Jean
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I nearly threw DT4 when I discovered, after the few first dozen pages, that the whole big, fat, long-looked-forward-to volume would be about something completely different. But, as Marina said,

Never happened to me. I do not throw objects of value such as the books that I choose to read. Or any objects, for that matter.

Stebbins
06-07-2013, 06:31 AM
My brother's friend threw The Long Walk into the Atlantic bc he hated the ending so much.

:lol: At first I hated the ending too. It was my favorite King novel up to that point. However, after I reflected upon it for a few hours, I realized that just added to it's greatness. Not many books or movies have that much impact on me, and the devastation I felt was because I was so engrossed in the story.

Regarding the question of this thread: I have thrown a book once, but it was not because of the content of said book (For Whom the Bell Tolls).

Roland of Gilead 33
06-08-2013, 10:49 PM
the long walk isn't my favorite SK book it's one of those books where i have read a couple of times. the 1st time i think it took me like 2 days to read cause i was so enhanced into it. a friend had given me a reprint of the book. paperback. anyways, the ending didn't piss me off it was a WTF ending though but it didn't piss me off. it's also one of his books where you wonder how it would work if it was a film? some of his books are like that. 'The Stand' was like that for years. as for waiting 25 years? well i didn't have to wait THAT LONG! i don't remember the 1st book coming out at all. on Trade Paperback i do. faintly. but i do recall when 'The Drawing of the three' came out.

the earlyiest book for SK i remember coming out may be "IT" but my memory may be wrong. but i DO recall 'the eyes of the dragon' coming out

cause my uncle gave my brother the hardcover for it and he's since gave it to me. my brother has. it's the 1st printing where the hard cover looks like dragon skin. cool cover. anyways, i don't remember how old i was when i read the 1st "DT" book but it was my early teens. and it didn't take me long if i recall. if i am remembering right i read 'the waste lands' for the 1st time in (1994) October of that year i think i recall finishing it.

and being pissed off at it's ending. than i had to wait 3 more years till i got wizard & Glass. though i started the book back than not long after i got it. i never seemed to be able to finish it until when i FINALLY got around to reading it it had to be 2 years ago actually. now i'm up to the 5th book and i haven't gotten around to finish it. by that time i had gotten burnt out by the series.

but i have thrown books through the years. sometimes it was after i had a fight with either my folks or my brother. and i went in my room to read and i was still to pissed to read. and i just to vent my anger i threw it anywhere. back than it was normally a paperback. i dunno how anyone can not throw a book every now and than.

mystima
06-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I threw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince across the room when I got to the death of DumbledoreI let it sit where it landed for two days...at the time i threw it my kids thought I had gone crazy...'mom threw the book and started crying' they thought 'did we do something wrong?' I had to explain why I threw the book but didn't tell them that it was Dumbledore that died....after the second day I picked it back up and finished it...lol

CyberGhostface
06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I've never had such a visceral reaction that I would literally throw a book across the room, even if it really pissed me off (see: the last Dark Tower book).