PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem

Ari_Racing
05-14-2013, 07:13 AM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/thedarkman/king08tradewithslipcase.jpg

Cemetery Dance has announced they will publish The Dark Man as Limited Edition Hardcovers on July 30th.

The Dark Man is a shadowy poem that Stephen wrote while still in college. This edition celebrates that early writing with illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne and is offered in several variations sure to please both the collector and the Constant Reader.

Please note: Cemetery Dance is also offering Tray Case and Deluxe editions of The Dark Man signed by Stephen. The availability of these variations is limited and will most likely sell out quickly.

Preorder on Cemetery Dance

http://www.cemeterydance.com/thedarkman.html

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-14-2013, 07:46 AM
It says on the CD website that this is the World First Edition, when it is in fact the third time this has been published. Firstly in "Ubris" and then in "Moth".

"World's First Edition, First Printing SLIPCASED trade hardcover featuring a different dust jacket and shrink-wrapped with a deluxe custom-made slipcase and a collectible Glenn Chadbourne bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn't appear in the book ($49.95)"

WeDealInLead
05-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Devil's Wine?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Devil's Wine?

They never claimed Worlds First edition for that one.

"The Cemetery Dance hardcover is the only edition for this title, and many of the nearly 200 poems have never appeared anywhere else. Stephen King's amazing contributions were originally published in small venues during his college years and these publications now resell for thousands of dollars due to their scarcity. The King poems hadn't seen print in over 30 years—this is the only time they have ever been reprinted!"

barlow
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
It says on the CD website that this is the World First Edition, when it is in fact the third time this has been published. Firstly in "Ubris" and then in "Moth".

"World's First Edition, First Printing SLIPCASED trade hardcover featuring a different dust jacket and shrink-wrapped with a deluxe custom-made slipcase and a collectible Glenn Chadbourne bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn't appear in the book ($49.95)"

Wasn't it also in The Devils Wine?

WeDealInLead
05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Mr. RT, what I meant was that if we counted Devil's Wine it would be the fourth edition.

CyberGhostface
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Hopefully this book will inspire King to return to Flagg again sometime in the future.

Shannon
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
What the hell is going on? Everything King writes does not deserve a limited edition.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Mr. RT, what I meant was that if we counted Devil's Wine it would be the fourth edition.

Sorry. Yes your right. I forgot about that. That makes it even worse. Cemetery Dance have already published it!

mae
05-14-2013, 08:30 AM
So this is just for one poem?

Bev Vincent
05-14-2013, 08:40 AM
It's the book itself that is an "edition" -- not the appearance of the poem. The pop-up version of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon wasn't the second edition of TGWLTG -- it was the first edition of the pop-up presentation.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
Yes.

At least The Devil's Wine had nearly 200 poems.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
It's the book itself that is an "edition" -- not the appearance of the poem. The pop-up version of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon wasn't the second edition of TGWLTG -- it was the first edition of the pop-up presentation.

That was also abridged.

mae
05-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Maybe I'll get the regular trade hardcover from Amazon. Would be better if it collected off of King's poetry.

Shannon
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
I had this conversation with Amber this past weekend. It seems like King is getting ready to retire. He's getting all the money he can now, not that he needs it, lol. I mean, I love Cemetery Dance, and I'm sure this will be a beautiful production, but a poem? A poem? Fuck that.

herbertwest
05-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I had this conversation with Amber this past weekend. It seems like King is getting ready to retire. He's getting all the money he can now, not that he needs it, lol. I mean, I love Cemetery Dance, and I'm sure this will be a beautiful production, but a poem? A poem? Fuck that.

I would say that CD approached them with an interesting concept that allowed them developping and transforming into pictures the poem... and that he wanted to see what it would become. So am I :)

ELazansky
05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
It could have been done as a signed broadside - the poem with one nice piece of art.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Lettered Edition and Limited Edition have sold out!

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:07 AM
As I've said elsewhere, King's words and Glenn's art both help tell the story of The Dark Man here. It really does become a compelling read.

This is the World's First Edition, First Printing of this version of the poem and the artwork.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
It could have been done as a signed broadside - the poem with one nice piece of art.

But that wasn't the goal here. The goal was to tell the story of The Dark Man and his travels using King's words and Glenn's art. :)

Brian

mae
05-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Glenn's art. :)

Personal opinion of course, but do many people like his style? :unsure: :nope:

CyberGhostface
05-14-2013, 09:18 AM
I was under the impression that he was big in the horror/Stephen King area and the go-to guy for King-related artwork.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Glenn's art. :)

Personal opinion of course, but do many people like his style? :unsure: :nope:

We do. :)

Shannon
05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
I love his artwork. He puts so much detail into his work, he never half asses it. Great guy, as well.

Tito_Villa
05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
I love his art work but would also like to see someone else give a SK limited a go

Bev Vincent
05-14-2013, 09:33 AM
I told him once that I'd love to watch him work to see how he does all that intricate detail. His wife was there at the time and she said, in the broadest of Maine accents, "You'd have to see him in his undah-weah."

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:33 AM
I love his artwork. He puts so much detail into his work, he never half asses it. Great guy, as well.

Glenn is AWESOME to work with and a great friend. :)

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:35 AM
I love his art work but would also like to see someone else give a SK limited a go

Well, in this case, he was the artist requested for the project and we do happen to be big fans of his work.

But in terms of other artists for SK books, just at CD alone, there have been others who are also terrific. Bernie Wrightson, Glen Orbik, Tomislav Tikulin, Vincent Chong. Plus others for interiors on various projects. :)

He's not doing The Shining at Subterranean Press or Joyland at Titan, either. :)

So there's a little something for everyone out there!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Waiting Lists are now live for the signed editions if you want to be notified if a copy becomes available:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/KING08B

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Thank you again to everyone who has shown us tons of support today! We really do appreciate it.

I don't expect these to keep selling at this clip, but the slipcased trade edition is now 25% sold out.

Brian

Brice
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
As I've said elsewhere, King's words and Glenn's art both help tell the story of The Dark Man here. It really does become a compelling read.

This is the World's First Edition, First Printing of this version of the poem and the artwork.

Brian

So is this a different version entirely?

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Brian

So is this a different version entirely?

King may have tweaked the text a little, I don't actually own the originals. But this presentation of the poem is totally different than the three previous versions.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2013, 01:34 PM
UPDATE: Slipcased will be 30% sold out by the time we leave the office tonight.

Brian

Shannon
05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Great job. Just goes to show Cemetery Dance is a damn fine publishing company. :)

mae
05-14-2013, 10:39 PM
King has published relatively few poems (I believe he said in an interview he's written much more), but I think it would be a nice little book if they'd all be collected. A book for one short poem seems a tad overkill.

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 05:18 AM
King has published relatively few poems (I believe he said in an interview he's written much more), but I think it would be a nice little book if they'd all be collected. A book for one short poem seems a tad overkill.

Well, the idea was to take The Dark Man and turn it into a kind of mixed media story -- with a real build and a powerful impact at the end.

To steal a bit of one of my posts from elsewhere, here's how the book was designed:

Starting back in January, Glenn went nuts on the artwork with a little bit of direction from us based on what we were hoping to do with the book. He also filled in a few gaps during the design phase. (The very last pieces, which I love but will save as a little surprise for when folks read the book, arrived over this past weekend.)

Kate handles all of the design based on ideas and concepts from our production meetings. In this case, there was a very specific rhythm to the poem that we wanted to convey as Glenn's artwork turned it into a kind of mixed media story.

This book isn't for everyone, but I think those who enjoy how King can use a few words to create very full, real life scenes and those who enjoy Glenn's artwork will get a real kick out of it.

Brian

mae
05-15-2013, 05:34 AM

Wasn't it also in The Devils Wine?

The poem was also reprinted in Bev Vincent's Illustrated Companion.

Bev Vincent
05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
The Ubris version and The Moth version are different, especially toward the end. The one in my book is the Ubris version.

mae
05-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Would be interesting to see a comparison of the two versions. Which text is being used for this book?

mae
05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
The book is now available on Amazon, too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587674211/

jhanic
05-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Would be interesting to see a comparison of the two versions. Which text is being used for this book?

I'll have to dig out my copies of Moth and the Companion. I don't own the Ubris volume. It'll take a couple days. Life has a way of getting in the way.

John

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2013, 08:06 AM

The version from The Devil's Wine with any minor corrections or tweaks the author requested.

Brian

Darkday
05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Differences between the Ubris version and the Moth version:
(“/” denotes a line break)

“Let us go, then, you and I ...” / T.S. Eliot
(removed)

gantry silence of hobo jungles;
gantry silence of hobo jungles:

where mush-reek rose
where musk-reek rose

to mix the sex smell of / rotting cypress stumps
to mix the sex smell of rotting cypress stumps

in the undulent shadow of all this monster void.
in riven monster orbits.

and in the sudden flash of hate and lonely
and in a sudden jugular flash

Differences between the Moth version and the Devil's Wine version:

and burned sterno in the / gantry silence of hobo jungles:
and burned sterno in the gantry silence of hobo jungles:

within the breakdown lane with thumb levelled
within the breakdown lane with thumb leveled

And in a sudden jugular flash

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Differences between the Ubris version and the Moth version:
(“/” denotes a line break)

“Let us go, then, you and I ...” / T.S. Eliot
(removed)

gantry silence of hobo jungles;
gantry silence of hobo jungles:

where mush-reek rose
where musk-reek rose

to mix the sex smell of / rotting cypress stumps
to mix the sex smell of rotting cypress stumps

in the undulent shadow of all this monster void.
in riven monster orbits.

and in the sudden flash of hate and lonely

Differences between the Moth version and the Devil's Wine version:

and burned sterno in the / gantry silence of hobo jungles:
and burned sterno in the gantry silence of hobo jungles:

within the breakdown lane with thumb levelled
within the breakdown lane with thumb leveled

And in a sudden jugular flash

Very nice breakdown! I went over the file again last night and it looks like the version we were given is basically The Devil's Wine version with T.S. Eliot added back at the beginning.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
First photo of the trade hardcover editions of The Dark Man:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/thedarkmantrades01.jpg

There's a link to a larger shot in the original post:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/2013/07/17/the-dark-man-by-stephen-king-first-photos-of-the-trade-editions/

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
A photo from Dan in the warehouse of the individual customer orders for the trade hardcover of The Dark Man by Stephen King. The stack of paper weighed in at 19 pounds:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/thedarkmanorders.jpg

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/2013/07/19/19-pounds-of-orders-for-the-dark-man-by-stephen-king/

Brian

Dan
07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I ordered the Slipcased and S/L, but could you dig through that pile and put mine on the top? I'm sure no one else will mind. :)

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
I ordered the Slipcased and S/L, but could you dig through that pile and put mine on the top? I'm sure no one else will mind. :)

Sure, let me just shuffle through the pile and find it. ;)

Brian

CaliMark
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Just got a shipping notification from Amazon that my Trade HC has shipped....The other editions were a bit to $$$ for me...Anyone else is it on its way?

CaliMark
Mark Reed

Brian James Freeman
07-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Just got a shipping notification from Amazon that my Trade HC has shipped....The other editions were a bit to $$$ for me...Anyone else is it on its way?

CaliMark
Mark Reed

Please let us know how your copy looks when it arrives. We drop shipped a ton of copies to our book distributors who either reshipped those copies to Amazon's warehouses or, more likely, are shipping FOR Amazon in Amazon boxes. (That was something new we learned last month. It turns out at least one of the major book distributors ships on behalf of Amazon in Amazon's own packaging a lot more than we realized.)

Thanks for ordering a copy! Hope you dig it.

Brian

CaliMark
07-20-2013, 01:51 PM

CaliMark
Mark Reed

Please let us know how your copy looks when it arrives. We drop shipped a ton of copies to our book distributors who either reshipped those copies to Amazon's warehouses or, more likely, are shipping FOR Amazon in Amazon boxes. (That was something new we learned last month. It turns out at least one of the major book distributors ships on behalf of Amazon in Amazon's own packaging a lot more than we realized.)

Thanks for ordering a copy! Hope you dig it.

Brian

I got the book today! It was shipped from their fulfillment center near Reno. Nice box with plenty of air bubble packing. So looks in GREAT condition! I didn't think I would see it till after the 30th! I'll take a look at it after I finished up with the couple books that I am currently reading....Then it will go on the shelf next to my CD Blockcade Billy. Thanks for the nice book!

CaliMark

Dan
07-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Very cool, CaliMark! It's great to know the trade edition has hit the wild.

Brian James Freeman
07-20-2013, 05:48 PM
I got the book today! It was shipped from their fulfillment center near Reno. Nice box with plenty of air bubble packing. So looks in GREAT condition! I didn't think I would see it till after the 30th! I'll take a look at it after I finished up with the couple books that I am currently reading....Then it will go on the shelf next to my CD Blockcade Billy. Thanks for the nice book!

CaliMark

Excellent news!

Brian

herbertwest
07-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Lilja shared his review of this book, so here is mine :

"Glenn Chadbourne is an illustrator that i know through his work on THE SECRETARY OF THE DREAMS, also published by Cemetery Dance. The "THE DARK MAN" project is echoing SOTD, as SOTD is a graphic novel adaptation & illustrations of Stephen King stories. Always with the same original graphic style, Glenn brings an amazing attention to details.

What is exceptional in his style, is that we can easily spend long minutes looking closely an illustration, and keep finding, permanently, elements that we didn't notice. And the same goes with the re-reading the book. This is a really impressive graphic style.

This version of THE DARK MAN brings a terrifying & dark history of the Dark Man. Giving the fact that this is an adaptation of a very short poem by Stephen King, the first reading may be relatively quick... but then we feel the need to go back and re-read THE DARK MAN, and pay a lot more attention to the illustrations, and its therefore at this time that we spend a long time on each illustrations and than we realise how hypnotising Glenn's work can be.

Do not expect to be bloomed by Stephen King's text, as it is really short... but, instead, you will find yourself amazed & astonished by the vision & transcription of the text into artwork by Glenn Chadbourne. From a short 45 lines poem to an exceptionnal illustration book."

Brian James Freeman
07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
As I posted in the Cemetery Dance thread, something looks different about this copyright page...

http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/TheDarkManTHC2ndPrinting.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king08

Brian

Ari_Racing
07-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Second printing. Nice! Good sales. :)

Brian James Freeman
07-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Booklist will be publishing a great review of The Dark Man early next month:

"Purportedly scrawled by a college-age King on the back of a restaurant place mat, this glowering poem introduced a wandering character of ultimate evil, who would later mature into Randall Flagg of The Stand, The Eyes of the Dragon, and the Dark Tower series. Therefore, even though this is a curiosity, it's a significant one in the King mythos, and Chadbourne's black-and-white interpretation gives the spare text just the rotten juice it craves. The poem itself is the sort of metaphysical, apocalyptic piece you might expect from the late 1960s, but is nonetheless evocative. It begins, 'i have stridden the fuming way / of sun-hammered tracks and / smashed cinders,' as we follow the slow nighttime progress of a smudgy man traversing a moonlit America of busted merry-go-rounds, dilapidated trains, and agonized cemeteries. Wordless pages fill out the five-stanza poem, with Chadbourne's flat, snarled pencilwork hiding snakes, spiders, rats, and faces in every twisted tableau. It's all suitably ominous, and bewitched fans will be able to draw a direct line between this and The Gunslinger (1982)."

Merlin1958
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
While I am happy for CD I am more excited for Glenn!!! A nicer and more talented artist you will never meet!!!! You go, Glenn!!!!!

cit74
07-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Just received mine today - very nice!!!

Bryant Burnette
07-28-2013, 04:03 PM
What's up with Chadbourne not being credited on the book's front cover? Because really, this is a Glenn Chadbourne book with a Stephen King poem in it.

jhanic
07-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Because King's name will sell the book more than Chadbourne's.

John

Bryant Burnette
07-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Because King's name will sell the book more than Chadbourne's.

Undeniably true.

What, then, is the explanation for it not being on the interior title pages?

Brian James Freeman
07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
What's up with Chadbourne not being credited on the book's front cover? Because really, this is a Glenn Chadbourne book with a Stephen King poem in it.

Glenn's preference was to be credited on the copyright page and let the artwork speak for itself.

Brian

Bryant Burnette
07-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Glenn's preference was to be credited on the copyright page and let the artwork speak for itself.

Well, it certainly does that.

Brian James Freeman
07-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Well, it certainly does that.

I was surprised that you were the first person to ask about this (his name on the cover, etc) because I thought about it a lot over the last year, but Glenn is such a cool, humble guy that I know *I* thought about it a lot more than he did.

Brian

Bryant Burnette
07-28-2013, 08:30 PM
He sounds like a class act, no doubt about it.

Bad Penny
07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
He sounds like a class act, no doubt about it.

I, for one, can certainly vouch for that particular statement :smile:

Brian James Freeman
09-17-2013, 09:53 AM
I've posted some photos of the signed editions of The Dark Man, which will begin shipping this week:

http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/TheDarkMan/small/TheDarkMan01.jpg

You can view the rest here if you're interested:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/2013/09/17/the-special-editions-of-the-dark-man-by-stephen-king-photos/

Brian

Bad Penny
09-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Awesome Brian. can't hardly wait to receive my copies !!! :excited:

Brian James Freeman
05-21-2014, 10:46 AM
First Photos of The Dark Man Deluxe Oversized Signed Limited Edition Artwork Portfolio:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/2014/05/21/first-photos-of-the-dark-man-by-stephen-king-deluxe-oversized-signed-limited-edition-artwork-portfolio/

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/A_CHADBO11photo04large.jpg

Brian

jhanic
05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
I can't wait to get my copy!

John

DoctorZaius
05-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Sweet job Brian! Can't wait!

webstar1000
05-21-2014, 01:24 PM
This must be sold out... Will be now after people see the job they did! CD IS THE BEST!

Jimimck
05-22-2014, 02:28 AM
I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but is the poem included at all in this? Perhaps just as one sheet?

Brian James Freeman
05-22-2014, 03:09 AM
I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but is the poem included at all in this? Perhaps just as one sheet?

That's a great question and the answer is, unfortunately, no because it wasn't possible under the terms of the contract for the book.

Brian

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-22-2014, 04:18 AM
I find it quite amusing that Chadbourne's name is not on the book slipcases, and that King's name is on the art portfolio slipcases.