PDA

View Full Version : Get to know DT.Org's Staff #4-Randall Flagg 5/12-5/18

Randall Flagg
05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
My name is Jerome. I was born many years ago in Alabama. When I was 2 years old my mother left my abusive Father, taking my brother and me to California. In my childhood years we moved often. At around 10 years of age we settled in California for good. I have lived in California ever since. For the last 41 years I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, the last 16 years in Antioch.
For 30 years I worked in the grocery business.
My wife Dolores and I have 5 children ranging in age from 16-30 years old.
I have been a King fan since the late 70's, a collector since the late 80's and a Dark Tower fan from day one.
I enjoy traveling, reading, cooking, the NFL and was an early adopter of High Definition TV-thus I enjoy most anything broadcast in high definition.
Several years ago I purchased the site content from Matt, and began running the day to day operations of the board.

Randall Flagg
05-12-2013, 05:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlZPmD0p0I

carlosdetweiller
05-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Pretty funny. I laughed. Didn't expect that!

ELazansky
05-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Hilarious!

Fsmdr
05-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Very funny!.

Shannon
05-12-2013, 08:01 AM
lllloooolllll! You're one funny guy, Jerome. Questions later, Doctor Who time!

TwistedNadine
05-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Too Funny! Got a good chuckle out of that, thanks!

jon10g
05-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Very funny.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Ace.

Rachel Readman
05-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Haha THAT was hilarious!!

Shannon
05-12-2013, 09:37 AM
OK questions ... Hmmm ..

1) Not including credit cards and checks, how much money do you have in your wallet at the moment?

2) At what age did you lose your virginity? Who was he? (lol)

3) What do you do, jobwise? Describe a normal work day.

4) How does TheDarkTower.org get bigger/better? What is the plan?

5) What really is your favorite item in your collection?

Randall Flagg
05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
OK questions ... Hmmm ..

1) Not including credit cards and checks, how much money do you have in your wallet at the moment?

$240. I would have more, but I paid the auto detailer yesterday
2) At what age did you lose your virginity? Who was he? (lol)

8. She was a she, although sometimes when I try to picture her, I see your face-NOT
3) What do you do, jobwise? Describe a normal work day.

I am retired.
4) How does TheDarkTower.org get bigger/better? What is the plan?

We are doing a massive reorganization. You will find out more on Monday 5/20/2013.
5) What really is your favorite item in your collection?

The Stand S/L...too easy, but it just is.

Cutter
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
That video was pretty hilarious - good job!

sgc1999
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
lol

Ben Staad
05-12-2013, 11:12 AM
From what I can gather you enjoy an occasional adult beverage. What are some of you favorites?

Is there a point that you see yourself stepping back from the day to day operations of this site?

What are some of your pet peeves.

Randall Flagg
05-12-2013, 11:41 AM
From what I can gather you enjoy an occasional adult beverage. What are some of you favorites?

I like IPA's (India Pale Ales). The hoppier the better. One of my favorites is "Pliny the Elder (http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/pliny-the-elder/)" from Russian River Brewing
http://russianriverbrewing.com/product_images/uploaded_images/pliny-logo.jpg
Is there a point that you see yourself stepping back from the day to day operations of this site?

When I am dead.
What are some of your pet peeves.

Annoying questions, smokers who just throw the butt on the ground-worse yet out of a moving vehicle, having to put the lid down for women, but they never pick the lid up for me...

Odetta
05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
What is your favorite thing about living in the Bay Area?

Favorite restaurant?

Favorite movie?

Favorite facilitator??? *bats eyelashes*

Merlin1958
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not laughing, Jerome!!!!

:tongue1::tongue1::tongue1:

Randall Flagg
05-12-2013, 06:22 PM
What is your favorite thing about living in the Bay Area?

The fact that in a 1+ hour drive I can be in Downtown San Francisco, The Napa Valley, Calistoga, the Delta, Highway 1 on the Pacific Ocean edge, Yosemite National Park, The Sierra Nevada ski resorts. Places that people fly from around the world, spending thousands of dollars, and often hours of travel just to get here, and I just hop in my car and I am there. That plus no smog, and even less phoniness than other major cities.
Favorite restaurant?

For cocktails Bix (50's supper club) (http://www.bixrestaurant.com/), then an Afghan restaurant The Helmand Palace (http://www.helmandpalacesf.com/) for dinner
Favorite movie?

Changes, but single choice is "The Godfather", but I really equally love the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns-

A Fistful of Dollars (http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Per_un_pugno_di_dollari) - (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Per_qualche_dollaro_in_pi%C3%B9) - (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buono,_il_brutto,_il_cattivo,_Il) - (1966)

Favorite facilitator??? *bats eyelashes*

As I write this-you are.

Jimimck
05-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Great video :-)

1. What member on this site has annoyed you the most? And how?
2. Other than King himself, out of all the people you've met who are in some way related to King (publishers/reviewers/collectors etc), who have you enjoyed meeting the most and why?
3. If you could choose the next story to be done as a S/L, what would it be, and what publisher would you have do it?

Ben Staad
05-13-2013, 12:27 AM
What are the plans for your SK collection when you pass on? Do you have any specific rules for it when your gone?

The Library Policeman
05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Hello, fearless leader.

Scotland or England?

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 06:07 AM
Great video :-)

1. What member on this site has annoyed you the most? And how?

Merlin1958. When I first took over the site, he pestered me so much about doing the Haven Foundation Fundraiser that I discussed with Patrick if we should just ban him. Now we are good friends (although he can still drive me crazy).
2. Other than King himself, out of all the people you've met who are in some way related to King (publishers/reviewers/collectors etc), who have you enjoyed meeting the most and why?

David Williamson from Betts. We had a great time in Las Vegas meeting Jae Lee.
3. If you could choose the next story to be done as a S/L, what would it be, and what publisher would you have do it?

Not sure. I don't know what King is working on, but how about a sequel to The Stand? The publisher would be Ambannon Books.

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 06:07 AM
Hello, fearless leader.

Scotland or England?
No brainer-Scotland.

The Library Policeman
05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Hello, fearless leader.

Scotland or England?
No brainer-Scotland.

A man of taste.

It's the booze n' shit isn't it? :P

Cook
05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Since you aquired DT.org, what are your 3 most memorable things that have resulted because of DT.org

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Since you aquired DT.org, what are your 3 most memorable things that have resulted because of DT.org
Meeting you, and meeting two other members....

cit74
05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
If you are an SF Giants fan (my assumption) and one of your children played for the A's and the two teams met in the world series (forget the giants just one two WS recently) who would you really root for?

okay - and now it goes 7 games - and that child is the starting pitcher for the A's in game 7 - now who do you root for?

Same question for football - if your child was on Raiders and you were a Niner's fan - and it is the Super Bowl?

I am assuming you are a Giants and Niner's fan....

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
If you are an SF Giants fan (my assumption) and one of your children played for the A's and the two teams met in the world series (forget the giants just one two WS recently) who would you really root for?

You assume incorrectly. A's. I am an A's fan first, Giants second. I had full season tickets for the A's for 7 years. I have been to every home World Series game-1972, 1973, 1974, 1988, 1989, and 1990. One year I actually went to 56 A's home games.
okay - and now it goes 7 games - and that child is the starting pitcher for the A's in game 7 - now who do you root for?

Previous answer should indicate. A's.
Same question for football - if your child was on Raiders and you were a Niner's fan - and it is the Super Bowl?

Raiders. I am a Raiders fan and (almost) a Niner hater.

You assumed incorrectly

fernandito
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Jerome, I don't know why I never told you this but you look so much like one of my uncle's it's scary; he's your Mexican twinner lol.

Okay, down to brass tacks -

At what point did you know that you wanted to purchase the site from Matt? What brought that decision about?

Favorite celebrity meeting - apart from any SK encounters - ?

Favorite Mexican dish?

cit74
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM

You assume incorrectly. A's. I am an A's fan first, Giants second. I had full season tickets for the A's for 7 years. I have been to every home World Series game-1972, 1973, 1974, 1988, 1989, and 1990. One year I actually went to 56 A's home games.

You assumed incorrectly

Guess that shows the old saying about assuming:o

But that really didn't answer the question then - now assume your child is pitching for the Giants in game 7 against the A's? I won't let you off that easy - is it blood or team pride? Who do you root for now. Remember you can possibly now see, feel wear, the WS ring - who knows, if your child loved you enough they might give it to you...

Randall Flagg
05-13-2013, 12:40 PM

You assumed incorrectly

Guess that shows the old saying about assuming:o

But that really didn't answer the question then - now assume your child is pitching for the Giants in game 7 against the A's? I won't let you off that easy - is it blood or team pride? Who do you root for now. Remember you can possibly now see, feel wear, the WS ring - who knows, if your child loved you enough they might give it to you...
Child first. Too easy. Now if two sons were opposing each other (ala the Harbaugh brothers in the Super Bowl), as a parent I would wish for which of the two is my favorite child. Most parents won't admit it, but if a parent says they love their children equally, they don't know them very well.

The Library Policeman
05-14-2013, 05:41 AM
I've always admired the way you display your book collection, Jerome. Is this entirely down to you or does your wife have any input?

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 05:44 AM
I've always admired the way you display your book collection, Jerome. Is this entirely down to you or does your wife have any input?
All my choice.

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Jerome, I don't know why I never told you this but you look so much like one of my uncle's it's scary; he's your Mexican twinner lol.

Okay, down to brass tacks -

At what point did you know that you wanted to purchase the site from Matt? What brought that decision about?

This may take a bit to answer. I was a long time member of dt.net. At one point I "bid" on a job opening and someone else (Dolan) was chosen. It incensed me.
When dt.net failed, I heard word that Dt.Com was in the works. I practically begged Patrick to get me on the staff. I barely was selected (my member # is 50 meaning 49 people before me got the secret link). As a Facilitator I worked my ass off spending 100's of hours building the Catalog and entering most of the events in the Calendar. My goal (besides improving the site), was to get promoted to the highest level possible. I was named "Special Projects Manager". That was as high as I could go without being an owner. That's when I knew that if the site, or partial ownership of the site was ever offered, I would jump on the opportunity.
When Matt and the other 3 owners sold the .com domain to King, I jumped at the opportunity (with Patrick) to buy the content of the site,
Favorite celebrity meeting - apart from any SK encounters - ?

I am not a big celebrity chaser. I figure they really don't want to meet me, so I don't wish to meet them. I'd say Joe Hill on his first book tour in March, 2007. There weren't many people there, and Patrick and I got to talk to him before and after the event.
Favorite Mexican dish?

Fajitas

Cook
05-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Meeting you, and meeting two other members....

yeah, yeah, yeah.... you're quite the politician, LOL
Seriously, can you share some truly memorable moments.

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Day one when we took over and moved the servers, updated the software etc. Essentially when I got the "keys to the house".
Meeting numerous members AND Stephen King at the Mason event, then getting a book signed by King.
The Rock Bottom Remainders concert where I "grabbed" King as he exited the Men's Room, then partying with fellow members.

cit74
05-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Day one when we took over and moved the servers, updated the software etc. Essentially when I got the "keys to the house".
Meeting numerous members AND Stephen King at the Mason event, then getting a book signed by King.
The Rock Bottom Remainders concert where I "grabbed" King as he exited the Men's Room, then partying with fellow members.

Where exactly did you "grab" SK as he was exiting the bathroom?

The Library Policeman
05-14-2013, 06:49 AM

The crotch area :P

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 06:50 AM

That was just a term. I simply said "excuse me Mr. King, are you signing books today?". He replied "no, but I'll sign yours", then signed my Gunslinger.

cit74
05-14-2013, 06:51 AM
I did not know if he had offered to help zip him back up.

cit74
05-14-2013, 06:52 AM
What's with the euphemisms - I grabbed him in the bathroom and asked him to sign my gunslinger - that all sounds a tad bit weird (IMHO)

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 06:52 AM
I did not know if he had offered to help zip him back up.
I would have helped if he needed it. The hard part (pun intended), was waiting outside the head and not going inside and taking a leak next to him:)

cit74
05-14-2013, 06:56 AM
i guess that leads to the next question - if you had gone in there - would you have tried to size yourself up compared to him and tried to sneak a peek? What would other people here do?

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 07:16 AM
i guess that leads to the next question - if you had gone in there - would you have tried to size yourself up compared to him and tried to sneak a peek? What would other people here do?
I wouldn't look, no need to. I know I am in the 90th percentile...

fernandito
05-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Your favorite moment of the DT.com (org) Vegas get together a few years ago?

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Your favorite moment of the DT.com (org) Vegas get together a few years ago?
So many. Jae Lee, drinking, talking,
I'll go with the Dagger Staggers...

fernandito
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Ordering milk for Patrick's meal lol.

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
I wasn't there but there was something weird about clowns and or condiments too...

Randall Flagg
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
BTW, no one has commented.
Did everyone/no one see the movie playing in the background of the video?

The Library Policeman
05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Yep I noticed it right away. Some may have OVERLOOKED it though :P

jhanic
05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
There was something playing in the background?!?

John

Jimimck
05-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes I noticed too ;-)

ICry4Oy
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
LOVED the video...laughed a lot and of course who could miss the film behind you!?

...now...

What was Jesus really like in person?
Did you fight for the North or South during the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War)?
How old were you when you or your family got their first color television set?
Ever have a telephone "party line"?
What were you doing when man first walked on the moon?

Randall Flagg
05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
LOVED the video...laughed a lot and of course who could miss the film behind you!?

...now...

What was Jesus really like in person?

An OK guy, but he really needed a shower.
Did you fight for the North or South during the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War)?

I was non-allied, but I tried to make both sides kill more people.
How old were you when you or your family got their first color television set?

10, and 110
Ever have a telephone "party line"?

Yes. The trick to eaves dropping was to remove the mouthpiece before lifting the cradle. People rarely heard you then.
What were you doing when man first walked on the moon?

Watching the news with the simulations NASA was showing

tippy4
05-15-2013, 03:15 PM

That was just a term. I simply said "excuse me Mr. King, are you signing books today?". He replied "no, but I'll sign yours", then signed my Gunslinger.

I am putting a ban on this story from being told again.

Every time I read it, it is like a kick in my balls (not by you...by cruel, cruel fate).

Ari_Racing
05-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Excellent video! It made me laugh a lot! :D

* Republican or Democrat?

* Did you regret any decision made here at the forums and never mentioned to other facilitators or moderators?

* Does any of your children read S. King?

* What does your wife think of your "hobby" (collecting S. King works I mean..)

* Is there any particular thing that made you angry at the old dt.net?

* How many hours do you spend here every day?

Scoogs
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Original or revised edition of The Gunslinger?
Favorite Dark Tower book?

Sir_Boomme
05-16-2013, 09:32 PM
kinkiest sex thing you've done...?
Strangest place you made whooppee?
Ever had sex with a man?

Randall Flagg
05-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Excellent video! It made me laugh a lot! :D

* Republican or Democrat?

Neither. In California, you can vote but "decline to state" a part affiliation. In reality I identify with Libertarian.
* Did you regret any decision made here at the forums and never mentioned to other facilitators or moderators?

No regrets.
* Does any of your children read S. King?

Not consistently. One read Different Seasons for a school project, and another read The Long Walk, but that's about it.
* What does your wife think of your "hobby" (collecting S. King works I mean..)

When I first retired she said I was spending too much time"managing" her, and said I should get a hobby. Now that I have the hobby, she thinks I spend too much time on it.
* Is there any particular thing that made you angry at the old dt.net?

Dolan getting promoted instead of me, then he insisted that bouncing boob animated Gif's be removed.
* How many hours do you spend here every day?

Too few. :) Actually I am logged on 3-4 hours a day. Sometimes I am logged on, but doing something else-watching the news, sports etc.

Randall Flagg
05-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Original or revised edition of The Gunslinger?
Favorite Dark Tower book?
Original.

Randall Flagg
05-17-2013, 05:11 AM
kinkiest sex thing you've done...?

Maybe not kinky, but "naked enchilada" night was really fun...
Strangest place you made whooppee?

In front of a busy restaurant during daylight.
Ever had sex with a man?

No, but if I ever did, I imagine it would be you...and I would be on top

Ari_Racing
05-18-2013, 07:51 AM
he insisted that bouncing boob animated Gif's be removed.

I remember that. It was also somehow anoying. Did you complain about this?

How old are you? You look too young to be retired (true).

Randall Flagg
05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
he insisted that bouncing boob animated Gif's be removed.

I remember that. It was also somehow anoying. Did you complain about this?

How old are you? You look too young to be retired (true).
I bitched but to no avail.
I am 52 Years old.

Ari_Racing
05-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh, so you ARE young. What age does one usually retire in USA? Here in Argentina it's usually 65.

Randall Flagg
05-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Oh, so you ARE young. What age does one usually retire in USA? Here in Argentina it's usually 65.
In the past, 65 was retirement age, but for people born after 1959 it is pushed out to 67.
Keep in mind, that Social Security retirements in the USA are not intended to fully fund a person's income. If a person doesn't save money (many ways to), the actual SS benefit will make it difficult to retire and not be "poor". A high wage earner who retired at age 70 has a maximum benefit of $3,350 per month. That is not even a middle class income.

Shannon
05-18-2013, 10:00 AM
It depends on the company. The military, for example, is 20 years.

Randall Flagg
04-19-2014, 01:23 PM

I am putting a ban on this story from being told again.

Every time I read it, it is like a kick in my balls (not by you...by cruel, cruel fate).
:Ball Kick:

Roden
05-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Hey Jerome, nice to see you on here. Thanks for approving my posts. There are some more piling up, hope you can approve them. Just posting to raise it to 10.

Starkraven7
09-26-2017, 01:08 PM
Ha - enjoyed the video. Nice to meet you, Jerome! Good luck with that DNA sample.

stroppygoblin
09-26-2017, 01:45 PM
I’d forgotten this thread. Made me laugh all over again.

edward
08-22-2018, 11:37 AM
I needed an introduction like that! Thank you.

Merlin1958
08-22-2018, 04:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlZPmD0p0I

Laugh Out loud!!!!!

I got a question for you that is best queried musucally......................................... ..............................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKsKbXN1A4

:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

Ben Staad
08-22-2018, 05:01 PM
FMK? Bob Jackson, Bob's collection, and Merlin.

Jon
09-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Yes