PDA

View Full Version : Could Netflix Produce ‘The Dark Tower’?

fearless-freak
05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
okay, so there's other stuff in this article including the brilliant and surreal Twin Peaks, but there is the mention of a DT tv series... what do you all think of the possibility?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3231480/tv-could-netflix-produce-new-buffy-twin-peaks-episodes-the-dark-tower/

becca69
05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Well I'm liking Hemlock Grove quite a bit.

Bev Vincent
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
House of Cards was a big winner for them. It could be interesting -- but it could be just a conversation that doesn't go anywhere, tool

fearless-freak
05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
that is a possibility, but when Ron Howard was announced as the director he put forward the idea of a tv series to tie the films together

Bev Vincent
05-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I talked to Akiva Goldsman about the possibility of doing it all on HBO and he said that was possible but he'd much rather have the budget and scope available to a motion picture production.

fearless-freak
05-03-2013, 12:53 PM
a movie would be better than a tv series

CyberGhostface
05-08-2013, 08:50 AM
a movie would be better than a tv series

Maybe if they did a full-fledged 7+ movie series (which would be a pretty big risk given the popularity of the series) but their proposed plan -- three movies and two tv seasons -- was asking for a disaster. Maybe you could fit The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three into one long movie but there's no way the latter books could be combined.

Bev Vincent
05-08-2013, 09:01 AM
They didn't plan to start with The Gunslinger. They had a pretty radical and (to me) interesting approach to the series. The Gunslinger is not all that energetic except for a couple of scenes. Certainly not the way you'd want to launch a movie franchise.

CyberGhostface
05-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Can you tell us what the plan was (or are you not allowed to)?

To be honest I'm not sure if I'd like something that deviated significantly from the books.

Roland of Gilead 33
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
the way i was guessing the 1st book was going to be made was this, you are right the 1st book not much is happens in a sense. i mean hell about 80% of the book is him being by himself walking and we do get flashbacks but it isn't a film to start a franchise is my point. so i was guessing they'd prolly end up also putting at least part of 'the drawing of the three' like doing one or two of the doors and it being a To be Continued.... of some sorts.

now if they were going to make that a 2 parter i dunno, but it would leave us on a cliff-hanger until the next film came out whenever the hell it would come out pretty much. i'd love to see all of them on the big screen to be honest, but if they made the 1st book an HBO series 1st i could live with that. but either way i'm curious what's going on behind the scenes on getting this damn thing made. if Lord of the rings can get a 3 picture deal as great as those movies are, why can't we get the dark tower series made? yes Robert Shaye did take a gamble. but it was one that worked.

this is just one of many ways i've thought about how the films could be tied together. as i'm sure i'm not the only one who thought like this as well.

Bev Vincent
05-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Can you tell us what the plan was (or are you not allowed to)?

To be honest I'm not sure if I'd like something that deviated significantly from the books.

Both Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman discuss their plans in detail in the interviews I did with them in The Dark Tower Companion. It's hard to summarize, but I was intrigued by it. They want to use the big screen for the epic stuff and the small screen for the more intimate, personal, character-driven aspects of the story.

fearless-freak
05-09-2013, 04:51 AM
sort of like wizard and glass?

Bev Vincent
05-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Possibly. Akiva mentioned the material that involved Eddie and his brother as being perfect for a gritty TV show treatment, for example.

CyberGhostface
05-09-2013, 11:38 PM
That does sound interesting although I'm not sure if it would work unless they could find a way to make the films and the television show able to stand independently from one another, because otherwise it's a pretty big investment for the average viewer.

twice
09-20-2013, 08:30 PM
If it was done by Netflix the entire series would be available all at once. No waiting 6 days for the next episode...which would be awesome.

Zurov
02-01-2015, 02:12 AM
I think the comics telling stories of Roland's time in Gilead would be a good TV series, but the rest would either have to be 7 full fledged movies, or maybe a mini series. I would just hate to see content omitted, which would undoubtedly happen