PDA

View Full Version : Callahan's Boots - Is He Full of Crap? - SPOILERS

jayson
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Here's one for you folken....

During the first part of Callahan's tale, the part about Home and Lupe Delgado, he discusses obtaining a pair of motorcycle boots he gets from a vampire he kills.

He states that they are high quality, and then says that he still has them in his posession. Now, I remember the second part of his story about how he got to the Calla, and I don't remember him saying he brought his gunna with him to his meeting in Chicago, and it is said specifically that he is wearing shoes he bought just for that meeting [so not the boots].

The obvious question then becomes how the hell do his boots make it to the Way Station & points beyond with him if they presumably didn't make the trip out the window in Chicago? He didn't bring a bag of gunna to a business meeting and I don't remember Walter giving it to him at the Way Station. All he gave him was Black 13. It was a nice moment in the story to suggest Callahan still has this souvenir of his vampire-slaying days, but how is it poissible?

Wuducynn
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe he had them lodged in his anus?

jayson
01-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Maybe he had them lodged in his anus?

Is this the part where I say "well, he is a catholic priest"? because that's just the kind of thing I would say.

Wuducynn
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Is this the part where I say "well, he is a catholic priest"? because that's just the kind of thing I would say.

No, no, no..don't say that, because I'm easily offended as you know.

jayson
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM

No, no, no..don't say that, because I'm easily offended as you know.

oh yes of course, i forgot. lol

Letti
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's one for you folken....

During the first part of Callahan's tale, the part about Home and Lupe Delgado, he discusses obtaining a pair of motorcycle boots he gets from a vampire he kills.

He states that they are high quality, and then says that he still has them in his posession. Now, I remember the second part of his story about how he got to the Calla, and I don't remember him saying he brought his gunna with him to his meeting in Chicago, and it is said specifically that he is wearing shoes he bought just for that meeting [so not the boots].

The obvious question then becomes how the hell do his boots make it to the Way Station & points beyond with him if they presumably didn't make the trip out the window in Chicago? He didn't bring a bag of gunna to a business meeting and I don't remember Walter giving it to him at the Way Station. All he gave him was Black 13. It was a nice moment in the story to suggest Callahan still has this souvenir of his vampire-slaying days, but how is it poissible?

Maybe he meant he knows very well where they are in his mother world. So he never threw them away he never got rid of them... and if he could go back he could wear them.
I know it's a quite weak explanation but still. :)

obscurejude
01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Is the Crimson King suggesting that the Priest is also a mule?

jayson
01-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Maybe he meant he knows very well where they are in his mother world. So he never threw them away he never got rid of them... and if he could go back he could wear them.
I know it's a quite weak explanation but still. :)

I'd have to recheck his story when I have the book in front of me, but I thought I remember him saying he had them in his rectory in the Calla.

Dud-a-chum?
01-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe Stephen King is human and makes continuity errors . . . <_<

jayson
01-15-2008, 04:18 AM

Nope, Stephen King is Gan's mouthpiece. Didn't you read book #6? :lol:

Dud-a-chum?
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM

lol, of course, how could I have been so stupid?

Childe 007
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
One wearing blue jeans with a patch on one knee and a plain brown shirt of rough weave.

The boy Jake when Roland sees him at the Way Station. And I promise you he wasn't wearing jeans and a western shirt when he left home on the way to his Manhatten private school that morning.

Jack Sawyer's clothes changed when he flipped into the Territories.

It makes perfect sense to me that Callahan came into Mid World with his favorite pair of boots.

The teller spins the story - all of the "mistakes" and "continuity errors" are but lack of imagination on the part of the listener/ reader.

Once it's told - it's yours.

ManOfWesternesse
01-22-2008, 01:57 AM
No,no - this ain't a flip to The Territories, with the associated change in clothing/materials etc... that went with that in The Talisman.
eg. - Eddie & Odetta's clothes did not change - nor did Rolands when he went t'other direction with Eddie at Balazaars place - nor indeed did Balazaar's henchman (which one was it???) - the Lobstrosities ate his Gucci loafers!

R_of_G - I agree. I caught this problem with the Boots first time I read it. It's a plain simple error I think.

And given Childe_007's quote above - is Jake's clothing at the Waystation another?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
It's not King's fault there are errors. He is old and his brain is f*cked by drink and drugs. (sounds just like me).

He employed Robin Furth to do all the research and continuity work for him. Maybe she was to busy working out how much she could make out of her concordances to do her job correctly.

jayson
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
No,no - this ain't a flip to The Territories, with the associated change in clothing/materials etc... that went with that in The Talisman.
eg. - Eddie & Odetta's clothes did not change - nor did Rolands when he went t'other direction with Eddie at Balazaars place - nor indeed did Balazaar's henchman (which one was it???) - the Lobstrosities ate his Gucci loafers!

Exactly Brian. Though Talisman is related to DT, "flipping" and "twinners" are concepts I associate with Talisman but are not the exact same thing as going through doors in DT. Related, perhaps, but certainly not the same. Given, as you pointed out, that everybody else we see go through a door is dressed the same on both sides, the Callahan thing is simply a mistake. To call it a lack of imagination on the reader's part is preposterous. I prefer to think of it as an enhanced sense of attention to detail on the reader's part. It's not as if I think less of King because of these continuity errors, but they exist nonetheless.

sarah
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM

He employed Robin Furth to do all the research and continuity work for him. Maybe she was to busy working out how much she could make out of her concordances to do her job correctly.

I'm rereading Wolves at the moment and Callahan just finished telling the last of his tale. I'm pretty sure it is just a mistake, something that just got missed. And I wouldn't give Robin Furth too hard of a time, Mr. Rabbit Trick. We don't know how much she already caught and fixed prior to printing. And hey, don't you think it is possible, that they did catch the mistake but left it in to fuck with us? hmmm?

ManOfWesternesse
01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
... It's not as if I think less of King because of these continuity errors, but they exist nonetheless.
Absolutely! It's natural to have some small errors in a saga of this length.
(My personal favourite is still in The Gunslinger - where we have a Mule that is sometimes a Donkey! (fewer times in the Revised than the original - but still there))

....hey, don't you think it is possible, that they did catch the mistake but left it in to fuck with us? hmmm?

Maybe, yes...... hmmmm.....
-or- maybe now you're fucking with us...:lol: .... or not.... :lol:

Childe 007
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM

R_of_G - I agree. I caught this problem with the Boots first time I read it. It's a plain simple error I think.

And given Childe_007's quote above - is Jake's clothing at the Waystation another?

Eddie and Odetta came through a door. Jake and Callahan had to die and thus ended up at the Way Station. Different paths different rules - that was the point I was kinda trying to make (though I was pretty hammered the other night.) I think when one ends up at that desert Way Station it IS more like "flipping" than being drawn.

ManOfWesternesse
01-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Ah! - that might throw a different light on it?
Yeah - when Jake came through the door in the mansion later his clothes etc.. were unchanged - but you are certainly right is saying the first time was different - it was not through a door (same for Callahan).
Mmmmmm - have to think on it....

jayson
01-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Yeah - when Jake came through the door in the mansion later his clothes etc.. were unchanged

which is one of two reasons why that picture in the waste lands of jake coming thru the door pisses me off. (1) that jake has black hair, and (2) that jake is wearing his piper uniform which jake doesn't wear the day of his drawing in either world

childe007, i see what you are saying, and i agree, the death door and the magic doors are two different ways to enter other worlds and the passage need not be the same.

of course we are dealing with the last three books so there's always the out that "king wanted him to have them" so he wrote them in. :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
01-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Annother related connundrum - my leaky memory is killing me today! - & I don't have the Books (loaned the lot to my sister - so it's in a good 'new-convert' cause!).

In Jake's case it's straightforward, in that on trip 1 there's no door & on trip 2 there's a door at each side.

Callahan leaves his own world through death right? (no door!).
But, how does he arrive in the Calla? - Am I mistaken in thinking it's through the door in Doorway Cave?. If it is - then which rule applies to him?

jayson
01-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Annother related connundrum - my leaky memory is killing me today! - & I don't have the Books (loaned the lot to my sister - so it's in a good 'new-convert' cause!).

In Jake's case it's straightforward, in that on trip 1 there's no door & on trip 2 there's a door at each side.

Callahan leaves his own world through death right? (no door!).
But, how does he arrive in the Calla? - Am I mistaken in thinking it's through the door in Doorway Cave?. If it is - then which rule applies to him?

Can't it be both? He does arrive in the Calla thru doorway cave, bc Walter sent him thru with Black 13, but before that he got to the Way Station by dying in his Chicago. Quite the worlds traveller that Old Fella.

ManOfWesternesse
01-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks, I believe you're right.
He went, through death, from Chicago to the waystation (I'd forgotten that), and then through a doorway from there to the Calla.

Matt
01-24-2008, 08:04 AM
What an interesting discussion!

I have never really thought of it personally. So its just the artwork and Jakes outfit right, he didn't actually switch cloths when he was drawn a Dutch Hill did he?

jayson
01-24-2008, 08:06 AM

I have never really thought of it personally. So its just the artwork and Jakes outfit right, he didn't actually switch cloths when he was drawn a Dutch Hill did he?

Not to my knowledge he didn't. He came through in what he wore when he left the house that day.

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Not to my knowledge he didn't. He came through in what he wore when he left the house that day.

He lost his pants and shoes to the house. I dont' remember them ever discussing getting him other clothes. He definitely did NOT bring any Piper clothes with him, he only had an extra pair of jeans, and a shirt.

ManOfWesternesse
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
So its just the artwork and Jakes outfit right, he didn't actually switch cloths when he was drawn a Dutch Hill did he?

That's my impression too Matt.
When drawn thru the doorway from Dutch Hill he came through in the same clothes.

ManOfWesternesse
01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
He lost his pants and shoes to the house. I dont' remember them ever discussing getting him other clothes. He definitely did NOT bring any Piper clothes with him, he only had an extra pair of jeans, and a shirt.
Lost his trainers for sure, yes.
But did he lose the jeans? Certainly came close - but did he lose them or pull them back?

*EDIT*
Sisterrrrrrrrrr!! - you done with them Books yet? :lol:

Matt
01-24-2008, 08:15 AM
:rofl:

If I was at home, I would be neck deep in my copies by now.

I think he showed up in his underwear didn't he? I seem to remember he being a bit embarrassed because Suze was there.

And I agree with the others, its really fun to speculate on these kinds of things but it doesn't detract at all from the story or the writer imo.

jayson
01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Definitely not any Piper clothes bc he didn't go to school the day he left his world and he didn't want to look any more truant than he already did being a kid not in school. I pointed it out in the artwork annoyances thread, but in Waste Lands the pic of Jake is one of two pics where the Piper uniform is a problem for me. Not only shouldn't Jake be wearing it in his pic, but the pic of Eddie in the filed of roses, well that is supposed to be Eddie in his dream and in the dream Eddie IS wearing Jake's uniform, but not in the picture. Little things like that tick me off. Maybe they shouldn't but they do.

jayson
01-24-2008, 08:18 AM
And I agree with the others, its really fun to speculate on these kinds of things but it doesn't detract at all from the story or the writer imo.

It doesn't detract from the story or from King in my opinion, but the artwork stuff does detract from the artist a bit. If Whelan can get it so right, why can't the others? It's not like there aren't great descriptions given by King.

obscurejude
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me either R of G. I mean, it isn't fan art- its in the fucking book.

jayson
01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
in the long run, it just makes me appreciate whelan's stuff that much more. he took the time to get it right.

obscurejude
01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Absolutely.

Daghain
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Lost his trainers for sure, yes.
But did he lose the jeans? Certainly came close - but did he lose them or pull them back?

*EDIT*
Sisterrrrrrrrrr!! - you done with them Books yet? :lol:

He lost his jeans and shoes to the house, but he had an extra pair of jeans in his backpack.

I have no idea what he did for shoes, though. :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a hard time picturing Father callahan in motorcycle boots... But I think it would be funny to see him in chaps.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 01:30 AM

lol, of course, how could I have been so stupid?

Because you are human and make continuity errors?

jayson
01-29-2008, 04:20 AM
I have a hard time picturing Father callahan in motorcycle boots... But I think it would be funny to see him in chaps.

I think "Father Callahan Goes to the Leather Bar" might be in the next arc of the comics.

ManOfWesternesse
01-29-2008, 04:25 AM

I think "Father Callahan Goes to the Leather Bar" might be in the next arc of the comics.

Oh God, let it not be the 'assless chaps' thing again! :lol:

Storyslinger
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
The most simple answer to this question is this...

ka

LadyHitchhiker
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Oh God, let it not be the 'assless chaps' thing again! :lol:

:onfire: :panic: :excited:

This kind of bar: :harrier:
Or this one?: :cowboy:
Or this kind of bar:? :fairy: