PDA

View Full Version : You Love The Movie, He/She Hates The Movie

Shannon
04-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Amber and I went through my Top Thirty Favorite Movies list and I downloaded all the ones she hasn't seen. She liked some, loved some, and hated one. Closer, with Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman, Clive Owen, and Jude Law.

I think the movie is perfect, she thought it was boring. Has anyone else had this happen to them? How does it make you feel? For me, I just think that she doesn't "get it," which is fine. A lot of people hate it and think it's boring and dull, but I feel the need to explain to her why it is so great. But at the end of the day, it's just my opinion.

Mattrick
04-25-2013, 12:26 AM
I removed my ex from the ugly world of Jennifer Lopez, Catherine Heigl, Jennifer Garner and Nicholas Sparks and introduced to her to the world of actual entertainment. She still thanks me for getting her to watch Six Feet Under and The Shawshank Redemption. While she still probably loves 13 Going on 30 (what was Mark Ruffalo thinking?!?!) I feel proud to have instilled her with some values. Considering I take movies very seriously, I have no issues telling my partner that (insert movie here) sucks ass and I will never watch it, now sit down and watch the Alien Trilogy with me and like it or it's over. Of course, my ex was a very odd case when it comes to movies...she'd seen Bring It On, but never saw Jurassic Park, Wizard of Oz, Land Before Time or The Godfather (and she's Italian and her dad loves those movies!). Let's hope my next girlfriend (I do have a plutonic girlfriend to thank for Fantastic Planet) introduces me to some great films, so I don't have to retread over the same ground again in every relationship - if you don't like Six Feet Under...GOODBYE, get out, find a new penis.

Jimimck
04-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Not quite the same Shannon, but my wife hasn't seen any Star Wars movies. It's probably worse in a way, cos she doesn't have any interest in ever watching them, to even find out if she hates them.

CRinVA
04-25-2013, 05:19 AM
Sounds familiar - My wife actually fell asleep in one of the Star Wars movies at the theatre. She doesnt care for any SciFi, Fantasy, Horror at all! Nothing with teh "supernatural" involved!

Well they say Opposites Attract!!!!

Stebbins
04-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Two words: Fight Club

Iwritecode
04-25-2013, 05:55 AM
I could make a list of some of my favorite movies and I can almost guarantee that my wife wouldn't like any of them. She doesn't like what she calls "stupid comedy" like Spaceballs or Airplane or the Naked Gun Trilogy. Those of course are the movies I love. She also doesn't like horror or sports-related movies.

She will put up with an action movie if there's an actor she likes in it like Vin Diesel or Paul Walker (Fast and Furious movies) or Mark Wahlberg or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I even got her to watch the newer Star Wars movies after she discovered Hayden Christensen.

Heather19
04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Yes, my boyfriend hates horror :cry:

Also I need to get him to watch more classic movies with me. I've tried a few times, got him to watch The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Rebel Without a Cause with me (he just thought they were ok) but I've been trying to get him to watch some Hitchcock with me for awhile now with no luck.

And he says I have horrible taste in movies since I don't like his favorite films. I've watched a few but they're just not my thing. The Bounty, The Count of Monte Crisco... I think I fell asleep during both of them. I admit that's not good, but I couldn't help it :lol:

The one plus side is we both love Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez. So I guess it's not so bad.

fernandito
04-25-2013, 06:49 AM
I went on a date once to see Star Wars Ep. I in 3D. When we got out she confessed she hated it and that she hadn't seen any of the Star Wars movies.

I never called her back.

Girlystevedave
04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
My husband recently confessed that he has never watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
He said he's willing to watch it with me one day, but I'm scared he'll hate it and I'll have to divorce him. :cyclops:

Girlystevedave
04-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I went on a date once to see Star Wars Ep. I in 3D. When we got out she confessed she hated it and that she hadn't seen any of the Star Wars movies.

I never called her back.

:rofl:
Justified.

alkanto
04-25-2013, 07:35 AM
I have such strange tastes in movies, I don't think it'll affect me all that much if a significant other doesn't exactly share them. I mean, of course there needs to be some commonality. But I'd rather we be more compatible in other areas :lol:

But if I ever date someone who is not into LoTR or musicals....I will dump him so quickly :P

pathoftheturtle
04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
What is it that really makes someone's significant other so significant to them? No one can say exactly. Love, like art, is not mechanical, cannot be reconstructed after dissection. What is really remarkable is that the inexplicable resonance between two people and the equally inexplicable resonance between each and particular works ever happen to coincide at all!

Odetta
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
My husband recently confessed that he has never watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
He said he's willing to watch it with me one day, but I'm scared he'll hate it and I'll have to divorce him. :cyclops:

One of the reasons I married my husband was because he could finish every MP quote I threw at him! He loves them even more than I do!

(off-topic... I got him a "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" T-Shirt for Christmas)

There's very little in movies we disagree about, but...

the Transformers Movies.....

I HATE THEM! HE LOVES THEM and has converted my 12 year old, now she LOVES them too! Ugh! I go in the other room when they watch them.

Ricky
04-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Shannon, did you watch BBT tonight? This thread was the basis for the episode. Leonard was ecstatic to get Penny to watch Buffy but she was underwhelmed with it. :lol:

And he says I have horrible taste in movies since I don't like his favorite films.

BUT, how does he feel about your man Franco?

I've seen bits and pieces of Monty Python and don't really think it's that funny. I guess I just don't get it.

alkanto
04-25-2013, 07:56 PM

I've seen bits and pieces of Monty Python and don't really think it's that funny. I guess I just don't get it.

Get out :nope:

DoctorDodge
04-25-2013, 10:11 PM

In a way, I agree, Ricky. It's definitely one of the most overrated British comedies I can think of. I liked some of what I've seen, but overall it's been very hit and miss for me. Give me Blackadder any day.

pathoftheturtle
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Shannon, did you watch BBT tonight? This thread was the basis for the episode. Leonard was ecstatic to get Penny to watch Buffy but she was underwhelmed with it. :lol:I think it's kind of the basis for that whole series, actually.
Amy: That’d be my boyfriend. Happier playing his dopey Star Trek game with his friends than hanging out with me.
Penny: Wars.
Amy: What?
Penny: Star Wars. They get all cranky when you mix the two up.
Amy: What’s the difference?
Penny: There’s absolutely no difference.

lol

Mattrick
04-26-2013, 12:07 AM
I think the basis of the series is to see how many episodes they can get out of the same jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3oxWgoQnM

The best movies your girlfriend probably hasn't seen, that is great to win them over with, is the Alien movies. They dig Ripley kicking ass.

Iwritecode
04-26-2013, 06:13 AM
My wife and I both like to watch BBT but I've had to explain who a lot of the special guests are. She didn't know who Stan Lee, Leonard Nimoy, Wil Wheaton or Steve Wozniak were.

Heather19
04-26-2013, 06:36 AM
And he says I have horrible taste in movies since I don't like his favorite films.

BUT, how does he feel about your man Franco?

He likes him. Thank goodness or I might have to break up with him :lol:

As per Monty Python, I've never even seen one.

divemaster
04-26-2013, 07:20 PM
My wife doen't have any interest in movies, except for the occassional romantic comedy. At any given time she has no idea what's showing. But every once in a while a fella wants to take his wife to a movie, ya know?

Several years ago...

Me: Let's go see a movie.

Wife: What movie?

Me: I don't know. Let me check the paper (rustle rustle rustle)...Hmmmm, nothing much looks any good. How about Batman Begins? Supposed to be good action; heard some good things--shouldn't be too violent.

Wife: I would hate that movie (scrunches up her nose--I can tell I need to find another movie quick)

Me: (noticing something for the first time)--Hey! How about March of the Penguins! Oh, man, I heard about that! I really want to see that!

Wife: March of the Penguins? What is it?

Me: Well, see, it's a nature show. There's this penguin. And it has an egg. And, and, well, it's cold because they live on the ice. But sometimes they swim away from the seal that's trying to eat them. And I think they have to move to another spot. And, uh, did I mention there's this egg?

Wife: What was that other movie again?

Sigh

divemaster
04-26-2013, 07:46 PM
But really, my wife won't watch hardly anything. Princess Bride? Too violent. Anything with a plot? She won't keep up. Action or thrills? It "makes her heart go pounding." Dramatic tension? Gives her stress. No ghosts, no horror, no killing, no sci-fi, no fantasy. If I were to say "Star Wars" to her, or "James Bond," she'd have no clue what I was talking about. Culturally based comedy is lost on her and obvious comedy is a "no clue movie." If I even want to think about sharing movie time, I have to ask myself is it worth the grief afterwards. (Seriously, I thought she was going to file for divorce after we saw Inception. WTF was I thinking taking her to that?)

I have scored a few hits. She liked Life of Pi. The recent Les Miserables was a good date, though she didn't follow all the plot details. We watched Mama Mia on the DVD and she liked that. She laughed at some of the appropriate moments of Hot Shots. I could probably pull up a handful more that were good calls on my part.

However, most of the time it is like this...

Divemaster watching a movie with his wife:

Me: You want to watch a movie tonight?

Wife: Is it a new movie?

Me: Well, not really. It's one of my favorites from a while back. Romantic comedy. Nothing objectionable.

Wife: But it's not a new movie?

Me: But if you haven't seen it, it's new to you.

Wife: I only like new movie. You watch it yourself.

(Bangs head against wall)

Ok, so now we're watching an actual "new" movie...about 45 minutes in...

Wife: What do you think about the house?

Me: What house? The house in the movie?

Wife: Yes. Do you like the way it is decorated?

Me: Who cares? I'm trying to follow the characters and the plot.

Wife: Oh, I'm not interested in any of that.

Me: So, what? You're trying to get decorating ideas?

Wife: Of course. What do you think of her hairstyle?

(Bangs head against wall.)

Jimimck
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Sorry to find humor in your pain, but that got a laugh out of me :redface:

Mattrick
04-27-2013, 04:07 AM
I told my ex about Rebecca, she said it sounded really good...then when she found out it was 70 years old and lost interest...saddening.

Ricky
04-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Ok, so now we're watching an actual "new" movie...about 45 minutes in...

Wife: What do you think about the house?

Me: What house? The house in the movie?

Wife: Yes. Do you like the way it is decorated?

Me: Who cares? I'm trying to follow the characters and the plot.

Wife: Oh, I'm not interested in any of that.

Me: So, what? You're trying to get decorating ideas?

Wife: Of course. What do you think of her hairstyle?

(Bangs head against wall.)

:rofl:

ChristineB
04-27-2013, 07:39 AM
For the most part me and my partners have always seen eye to eye on movies.

My husband and I now almost never disagree on what movies we like and which ones we don't like. It makes for great movie sharing for us both.

Shannon
04-27-2013, 10:08 AM
lol there should be a thread with just conversations between divemaster and his wife.

Jimimck
04-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Texts From Divemaster. Sounds like a great thread...

Jean
04-27-2013, 12:39 PM
lol there should be a thread with just conversations between divemaster and his wife.hear, hear! even a sick bear can't help laughing... inspite of the blood-curdling horror of the situation described