PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King and Owen King in Toronto

mae
04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/04/16/king-stephen-ifoa-pen-canada-benefit.html

Bestselling author Stephen King will discuss his latest novel alongside his son, first-time novelist Owen King, at Toronto's International Festival of Authors this fall.

The visit — the elder King's sole scheduled Canadian appearance — is set for the IFOA's opening night event: writers' rights group PEN Canada's annual benefit, organizers announced on Tuesday.

"The evening promises to be a rare glimpse of an intimate father-son conversation about life and art," said author and PEN Canada president Charles Foran.

The prolific author of bestsellers like Carrie, The Dead Zone, Misery, The Stand, The Dark Tower series and 11/22/63 will publish his latest novel Doctor Sleep in September. In it, he returns to the characters and territory of his early hit The Shining.

The younger King is an author and screenwriter who has just published his novel debut: Double Feature, a family drama exploring the complicated relationship between a filmmaker and his B-movie actor father.

The Kings will take part in an onstage discussion moderated by award-winning Canadian mystery writer Louise Penny on Oct. 24.

The 2013 International Festival of Authors runs Oct. 24 to Nov. 3.

Bev Vincent
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
The event is already sold out. It took a mere 20 minutes.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
The King's and I have something in common! I was in Toronto once too! (Actually twice)

mae
04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Hopefully, as usual, we'll get the video of the event.

Stebbins
04-21-2013, 06:33 AM
I wish I could attend. I still hold out hope I'll be able to meet, perhaps even speak, to SK.

Bev Vincent
06-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Gauntlet Press just made the following announcement:

We're excited to be publishing a signed limited edition of the acclaimed first novel of Owen King (Stephen King's son): DOUBLE FEATURE. We’ve been in touch with Owen since his publisher agreed to terms but have only now signed a contract.

Owen will be providing a slew of bonus material for both the signed numbered and lettered editions (with some material appearing ONLY in the lettered edition). He’s going to provide some material he is currently writing so this will be a truly unique collectible.

His brother Joe Hill will be doing the artwork for the tipsheet for the book and will be signing ONLY the 52-copy lettered edition. We won’t have the art for another two months at which time we’ll decide if we can also offer this as a print for those purchasing the lettered edition.

We are not yet taking orders, as we have yet to price the book.

We will keep you informed on the progress of the book and let you know when we will begin taking orders.

mikeC
06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Ha! That is really cool.

dnemec
06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Does anybody on here have tickets or am I the only insane one?

(Insane b/c of the distance...not because I want to see him of course!)

RandyinAK
06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Does anybody on here have tickets or am I the only insane one?

(Insane b/c of the distance...not because I want to see him of course!)

I'm trying to remember the details of that, but isn't he going to have some signed books there or do like a one hour signing? If its the event I'm thinking of I was going to fly from Alaska to see it but they said there were absolutely no tickets. It in October on a Thursday night or something? I'll have to go find the info. Are there tickets available now?

TwistedNadine
06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
I have tickets, and I am also insane.
However, its my understanding that we can get a book/books of our choosing signed.
Besides, Ive never seen Niagara Falls so what the hell?

TwistedNadine
06-20-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm trying to remember the details of that, but isn't he going to have some signed books there or do like a one hour signing? If its the event I'm thinking of I was going to fly from Alaska to see it but they said there were absolutely no tickets. It in October on a Thursday night or something? I'll have to go find the info. Are there tickets available now?

Heres the link but think its been sold out since the first day

http://pencanada.ca/news/stephen-king-and-owen-king-to-headline-pen-canada-benefit/

Tito_Villa
06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Very jealous, you're not insane at all, if i had the spare cash i would be flying in from the UK

RandyinAK
06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
That's what I thought, I found the info within 2 weeks of tickets and they were gone. Can't find an aftermarket seller either. I'll keep looking.

ChristineB
06-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Randy, any limited appearance by King are gonna always be sold out in the first day, even the ones that are in the 1,000's of dollar ranges go super fast. Good luck trying to get a ticket though, I'm rooting for you.

RandyinAK
06-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I've got a couple ideas, hopefully I'll work out. :) otherwise, next time.

dnemec
06-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I have tickets, and I am also insane.
However, its my understanding that we can get a book/books of our choosing signed.
Besides, Ive never seen Niagara Falls so what the hell?

I'm assuming they are going to let us get any book of our choosing signed. I saw King in Savannah, GA, last year, and it ended up being that way because that's how he and his people wanted it. I haven't seen any definite information to that effect yet though.

The Falls are okay, but let's face it--the highlight of my trip will be seeing him!

harrison ryan
06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm assuming they are going to let us get any book of our choosing signed. I saw King in Savannah, GA, last year, and it ended up being that way because that's how he and his people wanted it. I haven't seen any definite information to that effect yet though.

The Falls are okay, but let's face it--the highlight of my trip will be seeing him!

This begs the question: What are you going to get signed? Assuming you could only bring one, what it would it be? What would be your top three?

RandyinAK
06-20-2013, 08:26 PM

This begs the question: What are you going to get signed? Assuming you could only bring one, what it would it be? What would be your top three?

I'm assuming I'm probably not getting tickets but I'm not giving up hope either. I'll carry in a 1st/1st of The Gunslinger and my GF is carrying in my 1st/1st of The Stand.

dnemec
06-21-2013, 03:00 AM

I haven't decided yet. Last year in Savannah, I had my copies of Christine and The Dead Zone signed. I just bought a 1st/1st of The Stand, but it's not the best copy. Plus I will have my boyfriend with me to get a second book signed. Decisions, decisions!

TwistedNadine
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM

I think it was posted somewhere on their site but I also confirmed it over the phone. Might end up being similar to the GA event - for every Dr Sleep you buy you can get a book signed. I ended up with a bunch of 11/22/63 on my shelf but thats ok, also ended up with a lot of other books signed.

RichardX
06-21-2013, 11:54 AM
My guess is that the guidelines will change a dozen times or more on what can be signed. They never seem to know until the last minute. In Savannah, they were handing out post it notes when you bought the book to get it personalized and the person at the front of the line was throwing them away because King wasn't personalizing anything. My guess is that it's King's call or his publisher's on what he wants to sign and that won't be finalized until closer to the event. The signing is often an afterthought to the organizers. Delegated to a few volunteers who haven't been told what to do or worse have been told something incorrect. So it always seems a bit chaotic.