PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower: Publisher Ed. vs. Signed/Limited Ed.

artan
01-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Introduction:
This Topic is for new collectors (like me) who would like to better understand the differences between the editions or to make a better choice with full knowledge.

Publisher Edition:
The printer always prints a few extra copies of every title for the publisher. These copies are NOT sold as "regular" Limited Editions and are not part of the stated print run. Printing a few extra copies of any book is a standard practice in the business because these extra copies are meant to replace "regular" copies damaged in transit or misbound. They also provide the author's copies, the artist's copies, and copies for the publisher's personal collection. Sometimes these extras are also used for reviewers or other promotional purposes. If there is a numbering or lettering line on the signature sheet, it should have the letters PC written in. Sometimes these copies do not have signature sheets. These "No Tip" copies are never sold as Limited Editions, but can be used for the author, artist, and publisher's promotional offers.

1 - The Gunslinger: 12 copies reserved for the publisher, marked: "Publisher's Copy"
2 - The Drawing of the Three: 12 copies reserved for the publisher, marked: "Publisher's Copy"
3 - The Waste Lands: 12 copies reserved for the publisher, marked: "Publisher's Copy"
4 - Wizard and Glass: ??
5 - Wolves of the Calla: ??
6 - Song of Susannah: ??
7 - The Dark Tower: ??

Signed Edition:
These are very special editions and once they are sold out, they are gone forever. A "Limited" edition is signed by the author(s) -- and/or sometimes the editor(s) or artist(s) -- and has a pre-set number of copies which will be offered for sale. Sometimes the Limited Edition is slipcased.

1 - The Gunslinger: Limited edition of 500 slipcased copies
2 - The Drawing of the Three: Limited edition of 850 slipcased copies
3 - The Waste Lands: Limited edition of 1,250 slipcased
4 - Wizard and Glass: Limited edition of 1,250 slipcased copies
5 - Wolves of the Calla: Limited edition of 1,350 slipcased
6 - Song of Susannah: Limited edition of 1,400 slipcased copies
7 - The Dark Tower: Limited edition of 1,500 slipcased copies

Please feel free to change or add info.

artan
01-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I have some questions:

1) Which is considered more rare between PC and S/L Editions?
2) Is very difficult find the right price of PC Editions. Could you help me to understand their values?
3) Which is the most expensive edition?
4) The PC Edition looses his value in the years?

Brice
01-02-2008, 05:58 AM
I have some questions:

2) Is very difficult find the right price of PC Editions. Could you help me to understand their values?

I believe it's kinda' hard to determine value with the PC copies. As there are less of them they are less commonly seen and I imagine people have more of a tendency to hang on to them. This is really guesswork for me though. I can say I have an author's copy of Christine which was about $1700. Copies of the regular limited sell for considerably less whether this is because of an author's copy being more valuable or because of a "soft" market is hard for me to tell. I haven't been seriously collecting for very long.

carlosdetweiller
01-02-2008, 07:01 AM
It has been commonly reported that there only 12 "PC" copies of the limited of The Gunslinger, but I think that there were more than that for the subsequent books. My guess is about 50 for each of the rest of the books. Only someone inside DMG publishing would know for sure though.

midnightrambler34
01-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I have some questions:

I imagine this subject will gather much debate, some feel that a PC edition is worth less than the S/L others feel that is more of a rarity. My personal feelings are that I like a PC edition for the latter reason. I have to think that the signature value would outweight the fact that if its numbered or a PC, but Im no expert by a long shot, thats just my opinion.

Randall Flagg
01-02-2008, 07:30 AM
In general, as dictated by selling price, the PC's are worth less than the same edition that is Numbered/Lettered. Practicality wise, they are the same-same binding, same paperstock, same artwork, same signature, but there are people who feel they are worth less, just as there are people who feel a low number book is worth more.

I believe there were 12 Publisher copies, 40 Author copies, 10 Artist copies, and ~25 presentation copies of DTI The Gunslinger.

thecollector
01-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Folks,

I usually say that PC editions are within + or - 10% of the value of a numbered edition. There are a few people out there who collect PC editions, for them that is there preference and they would pay a little more for a PC copy then a regular numbered edition.

Of course, there aren't a lot of those collectors so unless you happen to catch one on an auction or sale, you'll probably be on the minus side.

As mentioned earlier the soft market means it's harder to come up with an average price, because you can see the same book going for wildly different values depending on who happens to be bidding that week, or on 3rd party bookseller sites.

One last thing to add... I find people pay a little more for low numbers rather then high numbers, so when I say PC editions are within 10% I mean compared to a number somewhere in the middle, and assuming it's not the 1 number you've been hunting for to complete your collection.

Matt
01-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow! Thanks Collector, that is some great information

Rahfa
01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
This is always a good debate, because I know some collectors firmly believe that PC copies are more unique and thus worth more money.

My feeling has always been that a numbered copy is more unique, since there's only one specific number - so while there might be 500 Gunslingers, there's only one #327, while you never know how many PC copies there are.

I do think a designated "Author's Copy" is worth more. You could make the argument (or at least let yourself believe) that King himself dictated who got the copies of those books. That should be worth something.

My real "problem" with PC copies are of the more recent S/L's, where the publishers might have had 500 numbered copies, but it seems like there are quite a lot of PC copies - way more than just a dozen. The Colorado Kid limited comes to mind. At that point, if they are just going to make as many PC copies as they want, than a numbered copy at least confirms it's part of the original 500 copy (or whatever) edition. Does that make sense?

I agree with the +/- 10 percent range for a PC copy, though I personally don't collect PC copies in any event, but mostly I'm looking for one specific number anyway - and I would pay a significant markup if I stumble on it. I have 17 s/l's with a number below 100, so I almost feel obligated to pay whatever I have to pay if that number shows up. I suppose a PC collector might feel the same way, though they at least would have an easier time of it!

NeedfulKings
01-02-2008, 09:41 AM
My feeling has always been that a numbered copy is more unique, since there's only one specific number - so while there might be 500 Gunslingers, there's only one #327, while you never know how many PC copies there are.

That's my view too. In one respect, they are more rare (12 -vs- 500), but in another respect, they're not ( since there IS only one #327).

I think the one exception to the value would be a PC copy that's inscribed by an author to another notable person.

Rahfa
01-02-2008, 10:06 AM

That's my view too. In one respect, they are more rare (12 -vs- 500), but in another respect, they're not ( since there IS only one #327).

I think the one exception to the value would be a PC copy that's inscribed by an author to another notable person.

Right...That's a completely different category alltogether...it could be any version of an s/l and it would be more valuable if that were the case...that's why I think author's copies are more valuable anyway (but I have an author's copy of DT II, so I'm biased...haha...).

wizardsrainbow
01-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I have some questions:

Yes, you will get a variety of answers to these questions as value and rarity are subjective terms. I will give you my input:

1) I consider S/L to be more rare on the basis that there is only one book numbered 296 (or whatever), even though, in total, there are more numbered editions that PC designated editions for a particular title. Also, my gut tells me that S/L editions are the true "children," planned and wanted by collectors. PC editions are "bastard" children, unplanned and S/L wanna-be's. Hope that is not too crude of an explanation.
2) Agree that PC value generally is +/- 10% of S/L value.
3) Often S/L based on my agrument for #1, but there are ALWAYS exceptions.
4) I think PC editions retain their value similar to the corresponding S/L of the same title. If Desperation S/L prices are down 25% from 2 years ago, then PC Desperation prices will come close to mirroring that decline.

Other note: I agree that Author's copies command a higher price than a regular S/L. I too have a DT II Author's copy. Final note: I agree with all that in terms of the DT books, there can only be 12 total PC sets. I know carlosdetweiller and I each own one and Stu at Bett's is still trying to sell one from the Supercollection he bought from Chris. Given that I acquired my various same-number sets at different times, my PC set was purchased at a lower price than I paid for a couple S/L sets I own.

Brice
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
You could make the argument (or at least let yourself believe) that King himself dictated who got the copies of those books. That should be worth something.

Is this not true? I would think that even if he didn't actually personally present them that he would be the one who decided who recieved these initially.

Rahfa
01-02-2008, 12:19 PM
You could make the argument (or at least let yourself believe) that King himself dictated who got the copies of those books. That should be worth something.

Is this not true? I would think that even if he didn't actually personally present them that he would be the one who decided who recieved these initially.

In theory, yes, it's true...but in reality? Who knows. Since the copy I have has no specific inscription, I have no idea if King personally touched the copy or not. It's certainly possible that the publisher dictates this many "author's copies" but then King just said "do what you want with them" and never actually recived them in any way.

If I was King, and I got a box of 12 author's copies, and I was going to personally go to the trouble of deciding who got them, I would add an inscription of some sort on the copy - but like I said above, he might not want to deal with getting a box of books at all, and then having to deal with shipping/distributing them, etc. DT II came out in 1987, so who knows what kind of staff he had at that time (though he was famous and rich by then).

But that's the whole point of these PC-type copies. Like Wiz said, they have a special distinction, yes, but they are not the true S/L but add-ons so the publisher can have a few more to sell without cutting into the true number of the edition.

But...other people totally disagree with that and think that PCs are more unique. So, to each their own.

Oh...and like you mentioned about King at least deciding who got them, and the publisher doing the actual shipping...that's certainly likely, but doesn't really impress me as far as any special 'cachet' you know? Maybe King said "make sure to send a copy to Joe Smith," and that's where my copy ended up going, but I'll never know, so I can't get that fired up about it.

Don't get me wrong, though...I think "author's copies" are still very neat!

Sir_Boomme
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
so... what do you think about limiteds that are totally unnumbered? no number, letter, author's copy, PC, or publisher designation.
the christine and the dark dreamers i own are both like this.
i was told years ago by the publisher that the christine copy was most likely a numbered copy that got missed in the numbering process.
i assume the Dark Dreamers might be the same... i've never seen any others other than mine.
being unnumbered... theoretically i could write in anything in those blanks (ha ha) but i think i'll keep em blank. ;)http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6827/c0cchristinesignaturetheh5.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6770/y6bdarkdreamerssignedbyhh6.jpg

Rahfa
01-02-2008, 01:35 PM
so... what do you think about limiteds that are totally unnumbered? no number, letter, author's copy, PC, or publisher designation.

What I think is I wish I didn't already have those books with a matching number...I'd buy yours and I WOULD write my number in! Haha...

Sir_Boomme
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM

What I think is I wish I didn't already have those books with a matching number...I'd buy yours and I WOULD write my number in! Haha...

price might be steep though...:orely:

i was thinking.... maybe the letter "A" :panic:

or perhaps something like... "S.K. personal copy" :rofl:

Patrick
01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
:rofl:

Personally I prefer S/Ls over PCs, for all the reasons already stated by others.

artan
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree with all of you, the number of copies of a book couldn't be the only thing to think before to make a decision...

...but wizardsrainbow sometime "bastard" and unplanned children could be very cool [(Final note: ""there can only be 12 total PC sets"") ***all around the world***] :harrier:

At the moment the price range for a Dark Tower S/L Set (all 7 books) matched set of numbered copies is very wide (Es. At the moment is see around from 21000$ to 14000$).

On the market point of view is the S/L Editions to have a price and the PC Publisher Ed. follow their trand, right?

Which will be an onest price for a S/L set? :doh:

wizardsrainbow
01-03-2008, 03:28 AM
I agree with all of you, the number of copies of a book couldn't be the only thing to think before to make a decision...

...but wizardsrainbow sometime "bastard" and unplanned children could be very cool [(Final note: ""there can only be 12 total PC sets"") ***all around the world***] :harrier:

At the moment the price range for a Dark Tower S/L Set (all 7 books) matched set of numbered copies is very wide (Es. At the moment is see around from 21000$ to 14000$).

On the market point of view is the S/L Editions to have a price and the PC Publisher Ed. follow their trand, right?

Which will be an onest price for a S/L set? :doh:

artan-

The prices you are quoting for a set of DT books USD 14,000-21,000 I am guessing you found on ABE. An honest price in today's market would be USD 11,000-12,000, in my opinion. If you are indeed SERIOUS about acquiring a set, please talk to me.

Fsmdr
01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Artan,

I can vouch for Wiz and so can most of the people here. Wiz has one of the largest Dark Tower collection anywhere ( no offense, Bob). He's definitely one to contact for a set of DT books.

Matt
01-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Seconded--best deal and dealer you can hope for right there.

wizardsrainbow
01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Artan,

I can vouch for Wiz and so can most of the people here. Wiz has one of the largest Dark Tower collection anywhere ( no offense, Bob). He's definitely one to contact for a set of DT books.

:blush: :grouphug: awww, thanks Juliana and Matt

carlosdetweiller
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Artan,

No offense taken, Juliana. I agree!

jhanic
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Camelot Books is advertising a matching number complete set for $9000. If you want it on layaway, the price rises to $10000.

www.camelotbooks.com

John

Sir_Boomme
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Camelot Books is advertising a matching number complete set for $9000. If you want it on layaway, the price rises to $10000.

www.camelotbooks.com (http://www.camelotbooks.com)

John

not any more... seems to have gone away since you posted the link

ATG
01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I remember when I had a chance to buy a first edition of the The Gunslinger for $200.00.

Man, if I only would have...

jhanic
01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I got the information via an emailed newsletter from them. I didn't try to look on the site to find it.

John

Fsmdr
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
When did they emailed you that newsletter, John?. Just curious.

jhanic
01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I got it today, 4:36 pm Eastern time.

John

Ari_Racing
01-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Which newsletter?

super sam
01-04-2008, 06:45 AM
From camelot books:

Immediate buy price followed by (lay-away price in parentheses) please note lay-away will not be available until 24 hours after the initial mailing of this newsletter, in other words customers willing to pay the immediate buy price will have 24 hours to do so before the books will be offered for those wanting to purchase via lay-a-way.

Blackhouse $400.00 ($450.00)

Christine $775.00 ($850.00)

Colorado Kid
Slipcased, limited to 450 copies $250.00 ($300.00)
Traycased limited to 99 copies $1500.00 ($1750.00)

Cujo $775.00 ($850.00)

Dark Tower Vol 1 through VII - MATCHING NUMBERED SET $9000.00 ($10,000.00)

Desperation $350.00 ($395.00)

Dolan’s Cadillac
1 of 1000 state $400.00 ($450.00)
Presentation copy of 1 of 1000 state limited to 100 copies $500.00 ($550.00)

From a Buick Eight $350.00 ($395.00)

Eyes of the Dragon $850.00 ($950.00)

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - Pop-Up Book $1150.00 ($1275.00)

Green Mile
numbered state Published at $900.00
two copies: 1 with bump to back of slipcase $700.00 (775.00)
Other fine copy $800.00 ($900.00)
Lettered state Published at $2500.00 Special $2000.00 ($2250.00)

Insomnia
Ziesing Edition $500.00 ($600.00) - please note that there are some spots on the bottom of the traycase from being slid on an off a shelf
UK signed limited edition (housed in custom slipcase) $300.00 ($350.00)

Regulators
Numbered $800.00 ($900.00)
PC of Numbered State (only 50 produced) $900.00 ($1000.00)
Lettered $3600.00 ($4000.00)

Rose Madder UK signed limited edition $350.00 ($400.00)

Six Stories $775.00 ($850.00)

Skeleton Crew $700.00 ($775.00)

Stand $1500.00 ($1750.00)

Whispers - by Whisper’s Press faded spine $200.00 ($225.00)

Wizard and Glass - UK signed limited edition $350.00 ($400.00)

Signed limited editions where King was a contributor - all are signed by King and are a numbered state (no law-a-way on the following)
Jack Ketchum's Girl Next Door $250.00
Book of the Dead anthology published by Ziesing $275.00
Quietly Now anthology published by Borderlands $300.00
Borderlands 5 anthology published by Borderlands $300.00
Postscripts 10 regular edition published by PS Publishing $150.00
Postscripts 10 slipcased edition published by PS Publishing $300.00
Dark Dreamers anthology published by Underwood Miller $350.00
Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me by Blood and Guts Press $200.00
Gauntlet 2 published by Borderlands $200.00

Unsigned but of interest:
Dark Tower, Volume 1-7 - Trade Editions by Donald Grant (later versions that were also published by Viking, these are the Artist States published in limited quantities by Donald Grant) ALL THESE BOOKS ARE STILL IN THE ORIGINAL FACTORY SHRINKWRAP. All are first editions except the Gunslinger which is a second printing. $1000.00 ($1100.00)

Nebel $1100.00 ($1250.00)

No law-a-way on the following:
From a Buick Eight - Gift Edition $125.00

Gerald’s Game - ABA slipcased edition $100.00

Green Mile - Gift Set published at $150.00 special $75.00

My Pretty Pony - still in Shrinkwrap $175.00

Talisman/Blackhouse - gift sets published at $150.00 special $100.00

http://www.camelotbooks.com

Nerak
01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
When did they emailed you that newsletter, John?. Just curious.

Juliana, when did you sneak on here!?!?!? HI!!!!

Fsmdr
01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Hello Karen,

I've been around. Here and there. It's nice to see you too.

John,

That S/L Stand on the newsletter is now MINE!!.:excited: :nana: :excited:

Patrick
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
...That S/L Stand on the newsletter is now MINE!!.:excited: :nana: :excited:
Congrats! Let us know in the Pride & Joy thread when you receive it!

jhanic
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Congratulations, Juliana! That HAS to be the cornerstone of any Stephen King collection!

John

Rahfa
01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
That S/L Stand on the newsletter is now MINE!!

That was a good price, too...What number is it, do you know?

Speaking of which, did anybody bother asking what numbers any of these books were? Probably not...

Fsmdr
01-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Rahfa,

Kim from Camelot told me something in the 1200s, I forgot exactly. Just to verify that it's not a PC copy or anything else. Thanks, John. I'll have to make some space now on my shelves **rubbing hand gleefully**.

Sorry, Patrick. Don't mean to derail the post.

Patrick
01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
No problem, Juliana, I'm happy for you! :rock:

wizardsrainbow
01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
That S/L Stand on the newsletter is now MINE!!

That was a good price, too...What number is it, do you know?

Speaking of which, did anybody bother asking what numbers any of these books were? Probably not...

Congrats Juliana! There were so good buys there!

Rahfa- I DID ask about the # of the S/L DT set. It was 273, but I did not inquire about the others, sorry.

Rahfa
01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
It always sort of aggravates me when sellers don't put the the numbers of the s/l's in with the listings...Betts doesn't do that all the time either...

I would ask but I always feel bad basically having them spend time looking for a needle in a haystack trying to match up one or two numbers...though, it's a guaranteed sale at almost any price if they happened to match up with mine.

And, like I've said before, I don't generally buy PC copies, so I like to know that too...it is an important enough distinction that sellers should include it in the descriptions...but, that's just me...

Thanks for posting that number, Wiz! And Julianna, too!

super sam
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
It always sort of aggravates me when sellers don't put the the numbers of the s/l's in with the listings...Betts doesn't do that all the time either...

I would ask but I always feel bad basically having them spend time looking for a needle in a haystack trying to match up one or two numbers...though, it's a guaranteed sale at almost any price if they happened to match up with mine.

And, like I've said before, I don't generally buy PC copies, so I like to know that too...it is an important enough distinction that sellers should include it in the descriptions...but, that's just me...

Thanks for posting that number, Wiz! And Julianna, too!

What number are you looking for?

Patrick
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
...I don't generally buy PC copies, so I like to know that too...it is an important enough distinction that sellers should include it in the descriptions...
Totally agree.

Randall Flagg
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Bumped as this is being asked about in the Questions thread.

e_taylor
06-26-2009, 07:59 AM
The number of PC copies I have in my records is different than the first post in this thread.

I've got:

DTI - 12 copies
DTII - 20 copies
DTIII - 30 copies
DTIV - 40 copies

I forget where I got my numbers but I recall it being a good source. (tippy maybe?)

turtlex
06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
The number of PC copies I have in my records is different than the first post in this thread.

I've got:

DTI - 12 copies
DTII - 20 copies
DTIII - 30 copies
DTIV - 40 copies

I forget where I got my numbers but I recall it being a good source. (tippy maybe?)

Cripes! For a minute there, Eric, I thought you were saying you owned that many copies of each... personally !!! :lol:

Randall Flagg
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM

I've got:

DTI - 12 copies
DTII - 20 copies
DTIII - 30 copies
DTIV - 40 copies

The info I have is:
DTI-
(reportedly) 12 Publisher's Copies, 40 Author's Copies; 10 Artist's Copies and 25 or less Presentation Copies.
DTII-
12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies
DTIII-
12 "Publishers", 40 "Authors", 10 "Artists"
DTIV-
Undetermined number of lettered, author and pc's.

tippy4
06-26-2009, 04:20 PM

I've got:

DTI - 12 copies
DTII - 20 copies
DTIII - 30 copies
DTIV - 40 copies

Not me.......

e_taylor
06-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Hmmm... it was definitely someone on this site who said they got that info straight from Robert.

Bob maybe?

Karen, can you dig through the files at work and find out for us??

carlosdetweiller
06-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Hmmm... it was definitely someone on this site who said they got that info straight from Robert.

Bob maybe?

Karen, can you dig through the files at work and find out for us??

It wasn't me.

e_taylor
06-27-2009, 04:29 AM
It was Hutch! http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=314999&postcount=992

Good to know I'm not going crazy!

I'd still be interested to know the number of PC copies for DTV, DTVI, DTVII and LSOE, if Karen would oblige!

wizardsrainbow
06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, I'd like to know as well. Whatever you can dig up Karen would be great.

Rahfa
06-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought it's been pretty clearly established that nobody knows?

e_taylor
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I dont know about that.... :wtf: