PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower: So Fell Lord Perth

nocny
04-11-2013, 05:41 AM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9596/darktwrperth2013001covc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/darktwrperth2013001covc.jpg/)

ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID (W)
RICHARD ISANOVE (A/C)
MARVEL CONCLUDES ITS EPIC DARK TOWER SAGA WITH THIS ALL-NEW ONE-SHOT!
• How does the Gunslinger’s quest echo the legendary battle between a young Arthur Eld and a towering Lord Perth? Find out here!
• A must-read for DARK TOWER completists!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory...$3.99

jhanic
04-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Any date?

John

Bev Vincent
04-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Some time in July

CyberGhostface
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
MARVEL CONCLUDES ITS EPIC DARK TOWER SAGA

Haven't heard that one before.

mae
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
That's it? I guess the last hardcover will collect Sheemie's Tale, Evil Ground, and this.

Bryant Burnette
04-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Sounds cool, theoretically. I hope it's better than the first issue of Evil Ground, which was ... not very good.

Brainslinger
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice art.... but I'm not keen on the fact they seem to be heavily borrowing from a certain Biblical story...

And I'm sure Lord Perth and Arthur lived in different time periods, although there is nowhere that is actually stated. Just a feeling, ye ken.

Bryant Burnette
04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice art.... but I'm not keen on the fact they seem to be heavily borrowing from a certain Biblical story...

And I'm sure Lord Perth and Arthur lived in different time periods, although there is nowhere that is actually stated. Just a feeling, ye ken.

Jake mentions in The Waste Lands that the story sounds like the story of David and Goliath; that comes straight from King, and is not an invention of the comics.

Arthur Eld being involved in it, though, does seem to be a new wrinkle; in the novel, it's only mentioned that Lord Perth was felled by a little boy.

Mr_SATAN
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi people !
Did I understand well ? Is it the conclusion of Marvel's saga?
There won't be "The drawing of the three" adaptation ? :(

(I'm french an not entirely sure of my translation skills :P)

Bev Vincent
04-22-2013, 04:07 PM
According to this, it's the end of the adaptation. For now, at least.

Mr_SATAN
04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Sad :(
I was so delighted at the idea of ready The Dark Tower monthly for the next 10 years :(

Tatts4Life
04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
After what seems like maybe 7 years of the comics I'm glad that its ending and kind of sad that they more then likely are done and won't be showing the doors. Drawing of the three is one of my favorite books.

wahlers
05-10-2013, 05:04 AM
I wonder if this set of 30 issues has done well enough that Marvel will do a second omnibus.

And, if so, I wonder if they will put Sheemie's Tale, Evil Ground, and Lord Perth in a more chronological placement between other books or just stick them at the end.

LostAlivE
07-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Has this been delayed or what. I can't find it and was wondering when it is coming out. I at the top is said sometime in July.

Merlin1958
07-16-2013, 04:50 PM
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9596/darktwrperth2013001covc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/darktwrperth2013001covc.jpg/)

ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID (W)
RICHARD ISANOVE (A/C)
MARVEL CONCLUDES ITS EPIC DARK TOWER SAGA WITH THIS ALL-NEW ONE-SHOT!
• How does the Gunslinger’s quest echo the legendary battle between a young Arthur Eld and a towering Lord Perth? Find out here!
• A must-read for DARK TOWER completists!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory...$3.99

An inspired illustration, but just a little too "David & Goliath" for my taste. Mr. King? please come back to these or suspend them!!!

Scoogs
07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Merlin, see post #8 above for why that is.

Tatts4Life
07-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I think was on marvels site that its coming out in August now.

Merlin1958
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Merlin, see post #8 above for why that is.

I know, but my statement stands. Just didn't care for the analogy I suppose.

Tatts4Life
08-06-2013, 01:27 PM
So I got an email from my local comic store and they show that this is scheduled to come out tomorrow. So unless they have something at the back of the comic teasing another comic it looks like tomorrow will be the last comic in the Dark Tower run.

Bev Vincent
08-06-2013, 01:32 PM
It's the last one.

Tatts4Life
08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm kind of both happy and sad that this will be the end. I'm glad this is the end because for some stupid reason comixology stopped carrying the comics half way through a story arc but then started carrying the last arc. But at the same time I'm sad it's ending because I liked seeing the story made into a comic. Drawing of the three was my favorite book and would of loved to see that made into a comic.

Bryant Burnette
08-07-2013, 12:01 AM
I would have loved it in theory for it to continue, but I find myself being kind of glad that it's stopping. Marvel put a few of the arcs in The Gunslinger out with art that I thought was fairly awful. (I'm thinking specifically of Alex Maleev's stuff; which is weird, because he's a highly-respected comics artist, not that you'd know it from his Dark Tower issues.) I'd hate to see that happen to [I]The Drawing of the Three[I].

Tatts4Life
08-07-2013, 09:46 AM
WTF?! My local store had a huge issue with there deliveries and a bunch of comics were ruined. So now I have to wait a week or two until they get a new shipment.

Bryant Burnette
08-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Got mine today, and just finished reading it. I didn't like it much at all, personally.

WeDealInLead
08-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I would have loved it in theory for it to continue, but I find myself being kind of glad that it's stopping.

Agreed. I'd have preferred an adaptation of the original material, not new material written by someone else.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Sort of a funny story, I used to collect the King comics (when it was "new" material). Then when they expanded to printing the comic form of actual books (The Stand, Talisman, etc) I stopped, but I got into a discussion with a couple of store employees (specifically regarding "The Talisman") and since my local Comic book store was located next to "Bookman's", a "Play it again sports" for books, I went and bought copies of the novels for the two employees. The look on their faces was priceless. Especially the kid who was enamored by "The Talisman". LOL LOL I'm always "preaching" reading as my kids will attest to anytime. LOL

I realize that in modern times I am considered an "Old Fogey" and I suppose I am, but there is still nothing, in my mind that, compares to the smell, anticipation and ultimate satisfaction of opening a new book and reading it to it's completion. The very best "Film Director" in the world is in your individual mind.

Bryant Burnette
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Agreed. I'd have preferred an adaptation of the original material, not new material written by someone else.

In theory, I'm okay with new material by other people. All I ask is that it not suck, which is what this series mostly has. I thought some of it was pretty strong toward the beginning ([I]The Long Road Home [I]and [I]Treachery[I], for example), but most of it since then has been mediocre at best.

That's my take on it, at least. I know there are people who really dig them. I wish I was one of 'em.

Bryant Burnette
08-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Sort of a funny story, I used to collect the King comics (when it was "new" material). Then when they expanded to printing the comic form of actual books (The Stand, Talisman, etc) I stopped, but I got into a discussion with a couple of store employees (specifically regarding "The Talisman") and since my local Comic book store was located next to "Bookman's", a "Play it again sports" for books, I went and bought copies of the novels for the two employees. The look on their faces was priceless. Especially the kid who was enamored by "The Talisman". LOL LOL I'm always "preaching" reading as my kids will attest to anytime. LOL

I realize that in modern times I am considered an "Old Fogey" and I suppose I am, but there is still nothing, in my mind that, compares to the smell, anticipation and ultimate satisfaction of opening a new book and reading it to it's completion. The very best "Film Director" in the world is in your individual mind.

Reading is great, and important, and hopefully always will be, but I'm always made a little uncomfortable by the assertion that prose is inherently a more valuable art form than film (or comics, for that matter). I'd take a good movie over a bad book any and every day of the week.

Luckily, there's no need for me to make a choice. I read as much as possible, and I watch as many movies (and television shows) as possible. I just try to make sure I'm limiting myself to the good stuff in each medium!

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Reading is great, and important, and hopefully always will be, but I'm always made a little uncomfortable by the assertion that prose is inherently a more valuable art form than film (or comics, for that matter). I'd take a good movie over a bad book any and every day of the week.

Luckily, there's no need for me to make a choice. I read as much as possible, and I watch as many movies (and television shows) as possible. I just try to make sure I'm limiting myself to the good stuff in each medium!

No argument with that sentiment here. Remember, I come from a generation in which TV and film was not what it is today. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy the benefits that modern technology has afforded to the film industry and really enjoy it. Still, there is a certain element that is lost on today's youth through the fact that they, generally, no longer "read" in the traditional sense. I am not speaking of you in particular, but youth in general. And I am a bit of an "Old school"
kinda guy.

It does do my heart good that you are so diverse and I am sure that you are passing that trait along to your children either now or in the future.

Edit: somehow (IMHO) actually reading the written word as opposed to "viewing" the result is a little more educational. At the very least it expands the vocabulary. Other than that I have no opinion either way on the medium. Of course, I suppose that it should be said that in the film adaption of any book you are getting the author's story at least 2nd hand.

Bryant Burnette
08-07-2013, 05:09 PM
And sometimes, even if the original writer himself is involved, that's no guarantee of quality.

To bring this back to comics, one of the things that's (potentially) so great about that particular medium is that comics can be a sort of midway between prose and cinema. Done well, the end result is an art form that's every bit as complex and rich as prose and cinema can be.

Of course, in any medium, the majority of work ends up being something less than complex and rich. And sadly, I think that's where most of the Dark Tower comics fell: way short of their potential. Certainly they are nowhere near as good at being comics as the Dark Tower novels are at being novels. That's a shame, but it's not a particularly surprising one, I guess. Odds are the same thing happens with the movies, whenever they finally get made.

Merlin1958
08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
And sometimes, even if the original writer himself is involved, that's no guarantee of quality.

To bring this back to comics, one of the things that's (potentially) so great about that particular medium is that comics can be a sort of midway between prose and cinema. Done well, the end result is an art form that's every bit as complex and rich as prose and cinema can be.

Of course, in any medium, the majority of work ends up being something less than complex and rich. And sadly, I think that's where most of the Dark Tower comics fell: way short of their potential. Certainly they are nowhere near as good at being comics as the Dark Tower novels are at being novels. That's a shame, but it's not a particularly surprising one, I guess. Odds are the same thing happens with the movies, whenever they finally get made.

I totally agree. In the end, I think it is mostly due to the "Re-telling" aspect, with the occasional exception. However, you are very right. We should get back on topic. Thanks for the enlightening discussion!!!

Pardon my (our) interruption!!! :)

wahlers
08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Okay, so now that this last issue is out, I wanted to confirm the chronological placement of these last 5 books.

Sheemie's Tale is all over the place, but the framing sequence is during DT7, right?

Evil Ground: The dream/flashback takes place between the Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill. But does the framing sequence take place between The Journey Begins and Little Sisters or somewhere else?

Lord Perth: Framing sequence takes place after Roland takes Aileen's body from The Battle of Jericho Hill in the flashback in issue #2 of The Journey Begins (page 2) but before they're attacked later that same issue (page 3).

Bryant Burnette
08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Okay, so now that this last issue is out, I wanted to confirm the chronological placement of these last 5 books.

Sheemie's Tale is all over the place, but the framing sequence is during DT7, right?

Evil Ground: The dream/flashback takes place between the Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill. But does the framing sequence take place between The Journey Begins and Little Sisters or somewhere else?

Lord Perth: Framing sequence takes place after Roland takes Aileen's body from The Battle of Jericho Hill in the flashback in issue #2 of The Journey Begins (page 2) but before they're attacked later that same issue (page 3).

Can't remember about the framing sequence in Evil Ground for sure, but I think it takes place exactly where you mentioned. Everything else sounds right, too.

herbertwest
08-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Is it out yet?
Marvel's website announced it for the 7th of august, but saying that it wasnt available yet...

WeDealInLead
08-12-2013, 04:29 AM
It came out last Wednesday.

It was decent. The ending (as in the few last lines) was really, really abrupt for a comic that's been coming out for almost a decade.

Ari_Racing
08-20-2013, 05:26 AM
It's funny how this is ending.

How is it possible that a comic that had a very decent run ended with such a low exposure on it's final number. No even a small press release at sk.com explaining why is it ending when there are many other DT stories to adapt (I'm not talking about NEW stories, just the ones we already know). Sales must have been really low at the end...

Bev Vincent
08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
Evil Ground and Sheemie's Tale each sold about 12,000 copies during their month of issue. That's down from 13-14,000 copies for The Man in Black issues

Ari_Racing
08-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Thanks, Bev. Do you have the sales numbers for the other series?

Bev Vincent
08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Google does, I'm sure -- that's how I found these!

Bryant Burnette
08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46509

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47289

CyberGhostface
08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
It's funny how this is ending.

How is it possible that a comic that had a very decent run ended with such a low exposure on it's final number. No even a small press release at sk.com explaining why is it ending when there are many other DT stories to adapt (I'm not talking about NEW stories, just the ones we already know). Sales must have been really low at the end...

I know that the sales were steadily plummeting with each issue after the initial "Gunslinger Born" storyline (I was keeping track for a while) to the point where later miniseries sold less than the "guidebooks" that they used to release, but at the same time, Marvel must have been happy given that they continued on after Jericho Hill.

Merlin1958
08-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Seems obvious to me that once they went into the realm of "previously published" material they lost a substantial portion of their base. At least in my case that was true.

Ari_Racing
08-24-2013, 05:09 AM
But they started that way, Bill. The Gunslinger Born was previously published stuff.

Merlin1958
08-24-2013, 03:12 PM
But they started that way, Bill. The Gunslinger Born was previously published stuff.

Please refresh my memory. I was under the impression that all the comics, with some exceptions, up to "The Battle of Jericho Hill" were comprised of "new" material written by Robin Furth & Co. I know the story of "Hax" and "Mejis" were in W&G and a few other plot lines, but they were not like when they started "Illustrating" TDT I, IMHO Then again, I may not be thinking right since it's been quite sometime since I read the comics.

CyberGhostface
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
The first arc was basically an adaptation of 'Wizard and Glass' with a few new scenes like Walter talking to the Crimson King and John Farson. They didn't really start the new stuff until the second arc.

Merlin1958
08-26-2013, 04:19 PM
The first arc was basically an adaptation of 'Wizard and Glass' with a few new scenes like Walter talking to the Crimson King and John Farson. They didn't really start the new stuff until the second arc.

Yeah, after giving it more thought you guys are 100% correct. Maybe I was thinking more of the "Bonus" features in each comic.