PDA

View Full Version : Stars of the Future

Mattrick
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
To me, one of the most exciting parts of watching films is see who has the potential to be a star in Hollywood in the years to come. This thread is for who you consider to be future stars in the business.

Actors

Nicholas Hoult
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Nicholas_Hoult_2009.jpg/220px-Nicholas_Hoult_2009.jpg

I first saw him in About A Boy in which he was very impressive. In the past two years he appeared in X-Men: First Class offering sympathy to the character of Beast, Warm Bodies a comedy where he plays a zombie and now is the feature actor in Jack The Giant Slayer. He's gotten his face out there and now he's getting starring roles and I think he'll be a big star for years to come.

Kodi-Smit McPhee
http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/kodi_smit-mcphee.jpg

Though his exposure is minimal up to now, he impressed with me equally with his roles in The Road opposite Viggo Mortensen and in Let Me In opposite Chloe-Grace Moretz, though he has five projects in the near future. Eagerly waiting to see what else he can do.

Tom Holland
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTAxMTMzOTI5MzFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDkyODY1NDg@._ V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Despite his only project thus far being The Impossible, his performance carried a majority of the movie and the scenes he carried were the most moving of the film, outshining even screen vets Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor.

Jared Gilman
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjA2NTA4MTA5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMwMzkxNw@@._ V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Cast as the lead in Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom he had no name or resume to himself and it's amazing how well he did. He did an amazing feat by playing an adult as a child.

Actresses

Jennifer Lawrence
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAasEAyHhxIP1VVcCKZdh5Lw9vzLpGq o_iD34zf2wAyZyQwOZ0

It only took Jennifer Lawrence a couple of years to be nominated for an oscar, a couple more to win. She not only is a beautiful actresses but can play diverse roles, from indie films to blockbusters and she does it all seemingly without even trying. I see a future Meryl Streep here.

Chloe Grace Moretz
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/5a/4a/5a4aa058dc5e85fa55bf60fee4d3c029.jpg

The first time I saw her was in 500 Days of Summer, giving relationship advice to her twice older brother and she had so much confidence. In Hugo she showed the grace and poise of a classical actress. In Kick-Ass she shocked us. In Let Me In she both frightened and intrigued us. With Kick-Ass 2 coming down the pipe and playing Carrie opposite Julianne Moore, the sky is the limit. At her young age she has already proven to be a 5 tool actress which is extremely rare.

Jessica Chastain
http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/C/Jessica-Chastain-20830013-1-402.jpg

No one has exploded onto the scene has Jessica Chastain has the past two years, with a powerhouse performance in Tree of Life, followed by her two oscar nominated roles in The Help and Zero Dark Thirty. How successful she will be a decade from now is up to her and her choices.

Mia Wasikowska
http://images.askmen.com/photos/mia-wasikowska/83613.jpg

If you haven't seen her in In Treatment, do it now, she's amazing. On the big screen she landed the title role in Alice and Wonderland, starred opposite Annette Benning, Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo in the great The Kids Are All Right and showed her talents as Jane Eyre opposite Michael Fassbender. With the combination of her appearance and confidence in her abilities, she has an uncanny ability to show both strength and vulnerability simultaneously.

Alison Pill
http://balanceoffood.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55214ffbe8834017744b10c3f970d-800wi

Here is another great young actress whose talents were noticed on the show In Treatment. On the big screen she hasn't had the starring role success of those else on my list she knocks whatever she can get out of the park, just see her as Zelda Fitzgerald in Midnight In Paris to see what I mean. Currently she is a central character in The Newsroom with Jeff Daniels.

Kara Hayward
http://content6.flixster.com/rtactor/42/50/42500_pro.jpg

Much like Jared Gilman her first role was in Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, in which much of her performance was based on her seeming inability to express any emotions but you know she can feel them.

Still Servant
02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I love this thread! I love watching a movie and "discovering" a new talent. It's so fun to follow their careers as time goes by. This is going to be a great thread for us to share some of our favorites and to also keep track of people we like. I know I tend to forget people because I watch so many movies.

Collecting data now. Please stand by.

Still Servant
02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm going to start with one picture to see if I'm uploading pics properly.

Juno Temple
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/juno-temple.jpg

Where I first saw her: Juno Temple had a small but pivotal role in Atonement. She plays a young teen that seduces an older man. Her character has an innocent charm, but there's a forbidden sexiness that she exudes. It made her performance quite captivating.

What she's done recently: Temple had a very small role in Dark Knight Rises as Cat Woman's prostitute roommate. She also turns in a very strong performance in Killer Joe where she plays the childlike Dottie, a person that McConaughey's Joe becomes obsessed with.

What's next: Temple is going to be very busy in 2013. She currently has 9 films slated to be released this year. Among them is Horns, the film adaptation of Joe Hill's (our beloved Stephen King's son) novel that tells the story of a man who wakes up one morning with horns protruding from his head. She will also be appearing in the long awaited Sin City sequel.

Still Servant
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Ezra Miller

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv56giZEbv1r52yz4o1_400.jpg

What I first saw him in: I first saw Ezra in the underrated 2009 film City Island starring Andy Garcia and Juliana Margulies.

What he's done recently: Ezra had a breakout role in We Need to Talk about Kevin where he plays a severely troubled teen. Ezra also drew raves for his work in Perks of Being a Wallflower where he plays a gay teen trying fit in with a new crowd.

What's next: Madame Bovary with Paul Giamatti and Mia Wasikowska.

Samantha Barks

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/17/article-2264154-16FDF2A4000005DC-614_306x457.jpg

Samantha Barks is my newest celebrity crush. I just think she's adorable. Those dimples...oh those dimples.

Where I saw her first: Les Miserables. More than half way through Les Mis, a funny thing happens, the film is stolen by Samantha Barks in her first film. She gives a heart breaking performance as Eponine.

What she's done recently: Barks was discovered in Les Miserables in Concert that toured the country. She's also on a TV show called Groove High.

What's next: Barks doesn't have anything officially slated for 2013, but her star is on the rise and she should have the pick of numerous projects going forward. Certainly one to keep an eye on. I know I will.

Shannon
02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Strongly Agree
Jennifer Lawrence: Delicious and excellent. One could argue that she's already a "star", and with more Hunger Games, she'll end up in Elijah Wood/Frodo and Daniel Radcliffe/Harry Potter territory, both of which aren't "stars" at the moment. She has to be careful.
Jessica Chastain: This chick is going places. Great actress.
Samantha Barks: Beautiful, sexy, great singer, decent enough actress. If she's going to make it, she has to do something NOW, while people are still talking about Les Miserables.

Strongly Disagree
Nicholas Hoult: Too plain and boring. He'll do OK I think, but nowhere near "star" status.
Mia Wasikowska: I think her star is already fading. She started off too big too soon, and failed. Alice in Wonderland? Yuck.

My picks:

Quvenzhane Wallis: Although I wasn't too impressed with her in Beasts Of The Southern Wild (which I didn't care for as a whole, anyway), now that she's signed on to be the next Annie under the wings of Will Smith and Mr. Jay-Z, I think she's going to be forced down our throats for a long, long time.
Josh Stewart: Watch The Collector and The Collection and you'll immediately like this guy. I think this guy will do some very interesting things.
Elisabeth Olsen: Excellent. Lovely.
Joel Kinnaman: The Killing, and the new Robocop. Not a "star", but I see big things happening for him.
Michael Fassbender: Duh.
Benedict Cumberbatch: Sherlock himself. And he's the baddie in the next Star Trek movie. Once America really recognizes how good this guy is, it's stardom for sure.

Mattrick
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Mia Wasikowska: I think her star is already fading. She started off too big too soon, and failed. Alice in Wonderland? Yuck.

Are you kidding me? Shes in six movies among top billing this year. She is only going up, up up. I estimate she'll win an oscar in the next five years. Starring alongside the likes of Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchette, Tilda Swinton, Paul Giamtti and Jesse Eisenberg in a year sure is the sign of a fading star!

Looking forward to watching Jane Eyre finally on Friday, been almost two years since it was released...her and Fassbender probably knocked it out of the park. And Fassbender doesn't count for this topic, hes been in the business for years. Four years ago he would have, too well known for too long.

Still Servant
02-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I think Mia Wasikowska is going to be a very good actress for a long time. I know a lot of people remember her first for Alice in Wonderland, but people forget she was in The Kids Are All Right that same year. I saw her in Lawless this year. Not a great film, but she is a very easy actress to like.

As for Wallis, she has talent and she is very cute, but she has an up hill battle. I have no doubt that Annie will probably be a hit, but once she reaches her teens and early 20's she will disappear. That's just the way it is for black actresses, especially ones in their early 20's. I'm not making it up, that's just the way it's been for a long time. Hopefully it will change and maybe she's the one to change it. Name an African-American actress in her mid to early 20's that's a huge star in Hollywood?

Shannon
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
OK, let's see. I like this debate. Below is Mia Wasikowska's imdb page, and my little comments on whether or not she should be considered a "star." And before we start, I'd like to argue that it doesn't matter who you star next to, it matters what you can do with the role you are given.

2013 Carol (pre-production) - Lesbain love story. See below:
2013 Madame Bovary (pre-production) - "Beautiful wife, extra marital affairs", etc etc. Again, looks like she's trying to grow up while pushing the sex angle. Eh.
2013 Only Lovers Left Alive (post-production) - Vampire story where she plays an uncontrollable little sister. Even when stars play vampires right, it's not a high point in their careers (Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, etc)
2013 Tracks (post-production) - Biography. "A young woman goes on a 1,700 mile trek across the deserts of West Australia with her four camels and faithful dog." I'm reminded of movies like Hidalgo, which could be good, but aren't anything special for the main actor.
2013 The Double (post-production) - Comedy. If you're not branding yourself as a comedian, comedies will not make you a star.
2013 Stoker - This has the potential to put her in the big leagues, and it might. It might. But I'd bet against it.
2012 Lawless - Middle billing, decent role, decent movie, not "star"-making, though.
2011 Albert Nobbs - Ehhhh, this one's a little difficult. Should have been a better-received movie, but it didn't do so good.
2011 Restless - Came and went, and nobody noticed.
2011 Jane Eyre - The title character. Amazing, proven co-lead in Fassbender. A classic story. This might be her peak, in my opinion. Her career peak, not acting peak. I haven't seen it.
2010 Alice in Wonderland - If Jane Eyre wasn't her peak, then this will be. You don't get much bigger than by playing such an iconic, well-loved character. Too bad the movie was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.
2010 The Kids Are All Right - Is Josh Hutcherson a star? Nope, then neither is the girl that plays his sister in this movie.
2009 Amelia - Low billing.
2009 That Evening Sun - Middle billig but the imdb boards make no mention of her. Must not have made an impact.
2008 Defiance - Low billing.
2008 Summer Breaks (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2008 In Treatment (TV series) - I haven't seen these, but I hear great things. It looks like this is what people saw and then decided to put her in movies. So, this was her "start."
2008 I Love Sarah Jane (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2007 Rogue - Alligator movie, low billing.
2007 September - Middle billing, no one's heard of this.
2007 Cosette (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2007 Skin (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2007 Lens Love Story (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2006 Eve (short) - A short nobody's heard of.
2006 Suburban Mayhem - Low billing, seems to have a small cult-like following, but people rave about the story and the leads.
2004-2005 All Saints (TV series) - Two episodes on a long running Australian tv show. Blah.

Mattrick
02-27-2013, 11:29 PM
The fact she has played two of the most beloved female literary characters doesn't say anything? You should watch In Treatment (a show full of great performances) and say she wont be a star...seeing her in that I knew she would be. What does Josh Hutcherson matter? If you have seen The Kids Are All Right, you'd know she was on the same level as Benning, Moore and Ruffalo. Alice In Wonderland sucked but that was Burton's fault. And say what you want about vampires but many great actors have portrayed vampires but Chloe Grace Moretz in Let Me In wasnt a low point for her, that was an excellent film....and where are Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Kirsten Dunst now...perhaps being long standing stars of Hollywood but yes, being a vampire will kill her career. Watch Jane Eyre as I am in a couple days and tell me she isn fantastic...then watch In Treatment where you can also see Alison Pills talents.

Jean
02-28-2013, 01:30 AM
I dearly hope Ashley Bell will have some good parts before it is too late. She impressed me greatly in The Last Exorcism.

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 05:13 AM
<----- :coo3l: :D

Mattrick
02-28-2013, 10:53 AM
I dearly hope Ashley Bell will have some good parts before it is too late. She impressed me greatly in The Last Exorcism.

I almost put her, but roles like The Marine 3 with WWE superstar The Miz and The Day with DominicMonaghan are not helping. That is why I am hoping for a solid Last Exorcism sequel, if only for her benefit.

Still Servant
02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't call Mia Wasikowska a star yet, but I wouldn't say she's fading either. I do believe that Stoker will do well. Chan-wook Park is a great director. He directed Oldboy and a ton of other great films. Stoker is his first American film, so I'm hoping it's a success. I also think having Nicole Kidman in the movie will help. Also, America loves its horror films. Even the bad ones do well at the box office. So far, Stoker is getting good early reviews

Still Servant
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Rebel Wilson

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FkkbTkX9sH4/UEqQvaEw6zI/AAAAAAAAwuI/5RZPSqgDGok/s400/viewimage_story.jpg

Where I saw her first: Bridesmaids. Wilson played Kritsten Wiig's creepy roommate with the even creepier brother. She stole a few scenes away from Wiig in a movie full of memorable scenes.

What she's done recently: Wilson showed off her vocal talents in the surprise hit Pitch Perfect. She has great comedic timing and has a knack for physical humor.

What's next: Wilson can be seen in the upcoming body builders comedy Pain & Gain starring The Rock and Mark Wahlberg.

Ben Whishaw

http://i2.listal.com/image/4389763/600full-ben-whishaw.jpg

Where I first saw him: Whishaw plays a struggling song writer who composes a song that changes the course of history in Cloud Atlas.

What he's done recently: Besides Cloud Atlas, Whishaw played Q in Skyfall and will more than likely be featured in the next few Bond films.

What's next: Whishaw has a role in the Terry Gilliam film The Zero Theorem starring Christoph Waltz and Matt Damon.

Still Servant
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Teresa Palmer

http://i2.listal.com/image/1606646/936full-teresa-palmer.jpg

Teresa Palmer looks like a blonde Kristen Stewart minus the dead-behind-the-eyes look.

What I first saw her in: Palmer plays a zombie killing beauty in Warm Bodies. She's so hot that she literally starts turning a zombie back into a human.

What she's done recently: Palmer can be seen along side Liam Hemsworth in a film called Love and Honor which opens March 22.

What's next: Besides Love and Honor and Warm Bodies, Palmer has two more films coming out this year. One of the films is Knight of Cups, directed by Terrence Malick. The films also stars Natalie Portman, Christian Bale and Cate Blanchett.

Mattrick
03-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Ive noticed a pattern evolving here, you're a sucker for cute blondes and homely looking actors lol.

Still Servant
03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Ive noticed a pattern evolving here, you're a sucker for cute blondes and homely looking actors lol.

:lol:

You know what's funny? I'm actually not that into blondes. I'm more of a brunette guy. In fact, Samantha Barks is my type (darker skin, dark hair). I think it's Hollywood that has a thing for cute blondes. As for the "homely" actors, I think some of the ladies would probably beg to differ.

fernandito
03-04-2013, 02:50 PM
http://media.komonews.com/images/110509_arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg

alkanto
03-04-2013, 04:46 PM

You know what's funny? I'm actually not that into blondes. I'm more of a brunette guy. In fact, Samantha Barks is my type (darker skin, dark hair). I think it's Hollywood that has a thing for cute blondes. As for the "homely" actors, I think some of the ladies would probably beg to differ.

Yeah, I actually find both Ezra Miller and Ben Whishaw to be attractive :lol: Admittedly, Ben is by far the one I prefer more, but still...

Emily
03-04-2013, 05:02 PM
I just went, "BEN WHISHAW IS NOT F*CKING HOMELY!" :lol:

I'd also add two actors from the movie Super 8, Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. I've mentioned my love for them elsewhere but I was totally blown away by them both. I'm not sure what Fanning is up to these days but Joel Courtney is due to star in Mercy, based on King's short story "Gramma".

alkanto
03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you! :lol: I knew you would come to my aid!

Still Servant
03-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I told you, Matt!

Shannon
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Elizabeth Olsen. 'nuff said.

Still Servant
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Elizabeth Olsen. 'nuff said.

Yes, I agree with that. It's about time Olsen broke away from Indie films. Spike Lee's Oldboy remake could be a huge film for her. She's also set to appear in the Godzilla remake in 2014.

Still Servant
01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Margot Robbie

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/news/140127/margot-robbie-768.jpg

Margot Robbie is simply one of the most stunning blondes I've seen in years. She has also turned herself into a strong actress.

What I first saw her in: As a sexy stewardess in the short-lived ABC drama Pan Am.

What she's done recently: Robbie had a small role in the Rachel McAdams time travel romance film About Time. However, it's her role in The Wolf of Wall Street that will propel her career into the heavens. Robbie gives a surprisingly strong performance as Leonardo DiCaprio's second wife who gets caught up in his wild lifestyle until it gets to be too much for her to take. Robbie gives a borderline Oscar worthy performance.

What's next: Robbie's career is about to take off. She has three films slated for 2014. You're sure to see her popping up in larger films very soon.

Mattrick
01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
You guys misinterpreted what I meant by homely. The pictures of those guys look they they just rolled out of bed and woke up to a photo shoot, especially that Ezra Miller picture lol

Still Servant
01-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Screw that! Why am I the only person doing all the work in this thread. :pullhair:

Lookwhoitis
01-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Margot Robbie
Robbie gives a surprisingly strong performance as Leonardo DiCaprio's second wife who gets caught up in his wild lifestyle until it gets to be too much for her to take. Robbie gives a borderline Oscar worthy performance.

AND she's butt-ass nekkid! :excited:

Still Servant
01-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Margot Robbie
Robbie gives a surprisingly strong performance as Leonardo DiCaprio's second wife who gets caught up in his wild lifestyle until it gets to be too much for her to take. Robbie gives a borderline Oscar worthy performance.

AND she's butt-ass nekkid! :excited:

Did I forget to mention that? Yes, she is indeed butt naked from time to time and man she looks good.

Still Servant
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Brit Marling

http://www.brit-marling.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/brit-marling-actress.jpg

Brit Marling is not only beautiful, she's a strong all-around talent. Staring in Another Earth as well as co-writing it.

What I first saw her in: As Richard Gere's daughter in the white collar thriller Arbitrage. She also had a small, but pivotal role in the underrated, but somewhat uneven The Company You Keep, starring Robert Redford and Susan Sarandan.

What she's done recently: Marling stars in as well as co-wrote The East. She plays an operative for a security firm that is tasked with infiltrating a political terrorist cell. Also starring Alexander Skarsgard and Ellen Page. A strong, surprising film that flew under the radar.

What's next: A sure sign that her star is on the rise, Marling will appear in 4 feature films to be released in 2014. She will star in I, Origins directed by Mike Cahill, with whom she co-wrote Another Earth with. Possibly the biggest film she has coming out is Babylon, directed by Danny Boyle.

Still Servant
03-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Alicia Vikander

http://www.heyuguys.com/images/2013/05/Alicia-Vikander.jpg

I'm going to get ahead of this one. Usually I don't jump on an actor or actress' bandwagon until I actually see them in something, but I want to be driving this bandwagon when Alicia Vikander blows up and becomes a household name.

What I first saw her in: Nothing, at least I've never seen her in a film. However, I first saw her in the trailer for Ex Machina and I immediately took notice. I've already been touting Ex Machina as a film that I think has a chance to be one of the best of the year and I think Vikander's performance will have a lot to do with that.

What she's done recently: Vikander has been in a few films over the past few years. She was in the period piece dramas Anna Karenina and The Royal Affair. She was also in the Fifth Estate with Benedict Cumberbatch. This month she can be seen in Seventh Son, which will probably end up being one of the worst films on her filmography when it's all said and done.

What's next: A LOT! Vikander has a whopping 7 films being released this year. Besides Ex Machina, she will star alongside Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz in The Light Between Oceans directed by Derek Cianfrance. She will also appear in the Guy Ritchie film The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which is a remake of 60's spy comedy TV show. Vikander will also star in The Danish Girl, a film that's already getting Oscar buzz for Eddie Redmayne's performance as a transgender woman. The film is directed by Tom Hooper (King's Speech).