Yes, we are waiting.

*taps foot impatiently*

Matt
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
:lol:

I'm waiting too. I loved this book.

Heather19
12-31-2007, 11:47 AM
This is one of my top King books. Don't know how anyone couldn't love it.

Matt
12-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I think one of the reasons I may love it so much is because of King reading the audio book. It was so personal and real!!

I was took--hook line and sinker.

Heather19
12-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll have to pick that one up sometime. I read the book ages ago and want to reread it, but I just don't have the time right now. I should just grab the audiobook and listen to that.

Matt
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Its amazing Heather--King is Mike Noonan

jayson
12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
With so many of you guys whose opinions I respect speaking so highly of Bag of Bones, methinks I should give it another go at some point. Maybe when I finish the Sgt. Pepper book.

sarah
12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
yes, r of g, give it another try. I personally loved this book.

Bethany
12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
with the exception of lisey's story, bag of bones is SK's most relationship driven book and it is dead on and the characters are so real. emmy was the same age as ki when i first read it and the resemblance was uncanny.

jayson
12-31-2007, 02:14 PM
yes, r of g, give it another try. I personally loved this book.

well if YOU say so Maerlyn, lol

Matt
12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
What? That's not enough? :lol:

jayson
12-31-2007, 04:27 PM
What? That's not enough? :lol:

nope, you should beg me to read it matt!:nana:
happy new year gramps!

Jean
01-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Jean, come in here and explain yourself!! :P

Yes, we are waiting.

*taps foot impatiently*

:lol:

I'm waiting too. I loved this book.

the bear was booooooorrrrrrreeeeeed....................

(more details after January 6th)

Randall Flagg
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I have to say that BOB dragged for me. Not quite boring to the point of tears, but my eyes were welling up.

Daghain
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
:lol: I felt that way about Cell.

Randall Flagg
01-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I read Cell by the pool in Maui. It was the perfect read for being on the Island in February. Not a great book, but no worry if it got wet at the wade up and sit down bar.:evil:
Not to mention that on vacation I HATED cell phones and left mine in the room.

Daghain
01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I really, really was disappointed by that book. :cry:

Lyssa in the Sky
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
the only reason I liked it so much was because of its connection to the dark tower, that's it, take that out and replace it with something equally as weird and I would have stopped reading mid-book

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I think one of the reasons I may love it so much is because of King reading the audio book. It was so personal and real!!

I read the hard-copy before listening to the audiobook and the audiobook really added to the intensity. It already was (and is) one of my favorite non-DT books. Just reading this thread makes me want to listen to it again.

KO1
03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I wrote this book off early on and stopped the first time, but I picked it back up this week and now am on page 500, and its really picking up.

Its very different from alot of king ive read, but i dont think thats a bad thing anymore

MonteGss
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM

I read the hard-copy before listening to the audiobook and the audiobook really added to the intensity. It already was (and is) one of my favorite non-DT books. Just reading this thread makes me want to listen to it again.

Who reads it? I have to say, there hasn't been a reader I haven't enjoyed yet out of all my books. I liked Bag enough where I would get the audio. :)

Wuducynn
03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Who reads it? I have to say, there hasn't been a reader I haven't enjoyed yet out of all my books. I liked Bag enough where I would get the audio. :)

Stephen King. The best of them all.

KO1
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Its amazing Heather--King is Mike Noonan

But honestly, the tail end of this book is really solid, it had a hell of alot of buildup, but its one of the best ive read now that im here.

Matt
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Its an amazing ghost story for sure. I just really identify with Mike Noonan for some reason.

Heather19
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm glad you gave it second shot KO1, and enjoyed it this time around. It's such a great story.
I still have to go pick up the audio version of it, and give that a listen to.

Heather19
03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Just started to listen to the audiobook. King is great to listen to, although he has one of the funniest Boston accents I've heard.
I'm only into the second or third chapter, but he mentions Thad Beaumont from The Dark Half which I'm currently reading, and he says something which I'm hoping isn't a spoiler for that book. I'll have to wait and see.

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Wow, no one's posting here in how many months? Hope I'm not necroposting....

Anyway, just finished Bag of Bones.

I have to say, even though I liked it I had some mixed feelings about it. Don't get me wrong, it didn't have enough in it that I hated to deter me from ever reading it again, but it lacked some of what I've seen in sai King's other works.

In some of his other works he has characters that are memorable, that I can see clearly in my mind's eye (not easy for me, sad to say). I know what they look like and what they might do or say in a given situation. I didn't feel that with this book.

On the plus side, however, I did enjoy the plot, and found it to be very creative--just when I thought I had it figured out, King would throw another curve at me and I'd have to re-think the thing all over again. Even in King's work you don't see that a whole lot--storylines can become predictable. Thus I give him kudos for that.

In sum, a good book, and I'm glad for having read it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some others (including the other Derry tales, IT and Insomnia).

Jean
11-12-2008, 04:12 AM
In some of his other works he has characters that are memorable, that I can see clearly in my mind's eye (not easy for me, sad to say). I know what they look like and what they might do or say in a given situation. I didn't feel that with this book.
Neither did I. It's only one of the many problems I have with this novel.

CRinVA
11-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Its interesting to see the differing points of view! Personally, BoB is in my top ten King stories. I loved it. And I was thoroughly outraged when Mattie Died!
That means that I connected with the character. I also thought King did a teriffic job with Kyra - how many writers ever write fromthe POV of one so young!

John_and_Yoko
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Its interesting to see the differing points of view! Personally, BoB is in my top ten King stories. I loved it. And I was thoroughly outraged when Mattie Died!
That means that I connected with the character. I also thought King did a teriffic job with Kyra - how many writers ever write fromthe POV of one so young!

There I have to agree to disagree. When Mattie died I didn't really feel anything--it felt more like the story was being taken in an unforeseen direction, and there wasn't really time to mourn her.

Granted, some of the times he did do a good job with Kyra, but other times she didn't sound as young as she's supposed to be at all....

The Lady of Shadows
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
hey now.

don't taggle your own quartermack! :lol:

John_and_Yoko
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
hey now.

don't taggle your own quartermack! :lol:

Which falls into the former category. :lol:

Harley2280
11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I really enjoyed it.

theyspunaweb
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
what the heck was the "give me back my dustcatcher" stuff all about?

jhanic
12-12-2008, 06:01 AM
It all relates back to the nightmare that Mike had about Jo.

John

theyspunaweb
12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
The one with the 3 women?

Matt
12-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I think it was back at the beginning, didn't he find a book she was reading under the bed at their regular house?

jhanic
12-12-2008, 05:18 PM
That was the one.

John

Whitey Appleseed
12-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Ki putting her foot down, the Handmaidens of Angelina, the Green Lady, those invisible cables, some other images that help explain images from other stories (to me anyway), a story I wish I knew more about (the Human Headcase), there's a lot to like about the story, or stories, all of them connected.

Beamer
12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Good book... I made my mom read it.

kingfan2323
06-30-2019, 10:38 PM
On my complete Re-Read project and just finished Bag of Bones. Sometimes I blame myself when I do not like something that is well loved. Second time was not a charm. Ha! So did I miss something? Someone that loves it has to make me see the light!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

Iwritecode
07-01-2019, 07:16 AM
It's been awhile since I've read it but I've always had it in my top 10 of SK books. I always have trouble putting into words exactly why I like the things I do though. I do remember liking the ending as that always seems to be something that King struggles with.

It was a little bittersweet with the little girl essentially becoming an orphan, but it ended with a semblance of hope that everything would turn out ok.

I believe I read it when my own kids were really young so I may have connected with it more at that time with the main character wanting to take care of the mom and the little girl. I'll have to re-read it again now that my girls are all mostly grown to see how well it's held up for me.

kingfan2323
07-01-2019, 07:38 AM
It's been awhile since I've read it but I've always had it in my top 10 of SK books. I always have trouble putting into words exactly why I like the things I do though. I do remember liking the ending as that always seems to be something that King struggles with.

It was a little bittersweet with the little girl essentially becoming an orphan, but it ended with a semblance of hope that everything would turn out ok.

I believe I read it when my own kids were really young so I may have connected with it more at that time with the main character wanting to take care of the mom and the little girl. I'll have to re-read it again now that my girls are all mostly grown to see how well it's held up for me.I see what you are saying. Maybe the fact that it is tough to describe the reasons for liking it is part of why it is loved? Simple stuff is rarely liked in the long run.

Iwritecode
07-01-2019, 10:51 AM

I believe I read it when my own kids were really young so I may have connected with it more at that time with the main character wanting to take care of the mom and the little girl. I'll have to re-read it again now that my girls are all mostly grown to see how well it's held up for me.I see what you are saying. Maybe the fact that it is tough to describe the reasons for liking it is part of why it is loved? Simple stuff is rarely liked in the long run.

Maybe, but I have trouble defining why I like anything that I do. Books, movies, music etc... I just like what I like. :shrug:

mae
09-16-2021, 02:23 PM
The Losers Club podcast on the novel:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-losers-club-a-stephen-king-podcast/episode/bag-of-bones-pt-1-86691481
https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-losers-club-a-stephen-king-podcast/episode/bag-of-bones-pt-2-86806715

RichardX
04-13-2022, 05:23 AM
Just started re-reading this BoB after completing Insomnia. What strikes me is how much tighter the writing style is than Insomnia. Insomnia was often a long-winded book that should have been 100 pages or so shorter. I wonder if King had a better editor? BoB is also King's most traditional ghost story. The Shining is arguably a "ghost story" as well but of the less traditional kind. It's refreshing after Insomnia's endless trip down the Dark Tower rabbit hole which was tiresome. I associate BoB with King's efforts to be a better writer not just a story teller. There are tradeoffs as he never recaptured that raw energy of his early novels but definitely a better written book. It's not my favorite King book by a long shot but still enjoying it.

RichardX
05-04-2022, 07:20 AM
I had forgotten or didn't realize that the concept of the "Outsider" was introduced in this book.

Heather19
05-04-2022, 08:03 AM
I had forgotten or didn't realize that the concept of the "Outsider" was introduced in this book.

I don't remember that either. Can you refresh my memory.

RichardX
05-20-2022, 05:01 AM

I don't remember that either. Can you refresh my memory.

There is a reference in the epilogue (page 527 if you have the 1st edition). I believe there is an earlier reference but can't find it at the moment.