PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Collect? Spill Your Secrets!

Shannon
02-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I was just curious as to how people do what they do, collecting-wise. Oh course, I have my super-secrets that I don't want to share, but I don't mind sharing SOME of my ways of seeking out items.

I mostly stick to eBay. I've never bought anything from AbeBooks, and I very rarely buy from Craigslist.

On eBay, I search out the following items multiple times per day:

"Steven King"
Stephen King
Stephen King rare
Stephen King art
Stephen King promo
Stephen King promotional
Stephen King unique
Stephen King strange
Stephen King proof
Stephen King advance
Stephen King advanced
Stephen King arc

And since I'm doing it multiple times per day, I stick to the "Most Recently Listed" sort. and see what's new. The only time I see what's "Ending Soonest" is for the regular Stephen King search. I look through the first 200 results.

And then, if and when I find something interesting, I almost always go through the seller's other listings to see what they have, and then sometimes on top of that, I message the seller and ask if he has any other Stephen King items.

That's pretty much all I do. Anyone else care to share?

Ben Staad
02-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Good topic. I don't have an "in" with any publishers so I mainly stick to EBAY and ABE. On EBAY I like to search for:

Stephen King Art, Stepen King, Steven King, Stepehn King, Steven Kin, etc.

Nothing fancy with what I do. I try to look at things in my limited budget so no signed or S/Ls. I have found a few bargains this way but again, nothing to exciting.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh course, I have my super-secrets that I don't want to share, but I don't mind sharing SOME of my ways of seeking out items.

I mostly stick to eBay. I've never bought anything from AbeBooks, and I very rarely buy from Craigslist.

On eBay, I search out the following items multiple times per day:

"Steven King"
Stephen King
Stephen King rare
Stephen King art
Stephen King promo
Stephen King promotional
Stephen King unique
Stephen King strange
Stephen King proof
Stephen King advance
Stephen King advanced
Stephen King arc

And since I'm doing it multiple times per day, I stick to the "Most Recently Listed" sort. and see what's new. The only time I see what's "Ending Soonest" is for the regular Stephen King search. I look through the first 200 results.

And then, if and when I find something interesting, I almost always go through the seller's other listings to see what they have, and then sometimes on top of that, I message the seller and ask if he has any other Stephen King items.

That's pretty much all I do. Anyone else care to share?
Thanks for not totally sharing.
I can't tell you my secrets-otherwise they wouldn't be secrets.

carlosdetweiller
02-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Seriously. Who in their right mind would do that?

needfulthings
02-23-2013, 04:17 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/5674/img914e.jpg

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Seriously. Who in their right mind would do that?
Bob, would you please be so kind as to share the highly tuned search skills you use the first thing in the morning and almost on a daily basis? Not only that, but before anyone else likely finds the item you personally are seeking, just post it here in Intriguing SK auctions thread.

carlosdetweiller
02-23-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm almost tempted to use an emoticon in reply to this.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm almost tempted to use an emoticon in reply to this.
This one?
:emot-aslol:
or more likely this one:
:FU:

Shannon
02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
lol, hey it's just an idea for a thread. They're not all winners ... lol

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
lol, hey it's just an idea for a thread. They're not all winners ... lol
I love the idea; I am waiting to "steal" the secrets.

stkmw02
02-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Boobs are my secret weapon.

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Show me...

Or do you search with "boobs" as a parameter?

stkmw02
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I was just wondering how you were going to steal them. ;)

Randall Flagg
02-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Ok, we have to stop hijacking Shannon's thread-otherwise the best searching collectors in the world won't share their tips. No offense but search tips are the most important.

George at C-Springs
02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
My technique is easy. First I e-mail you via a false address with the promise of a position somewhere or telling you that you won something or just advertising Jennifer Aniston's boobs. When you click on the e-mail, it automatically downloads a keystroke 'bot' that's pretty much undetectable because you have no idea what to look for in the first place and rely on good ol' Norton AV which you haven't updated or run in 6 months to catch it. Good luck with that! Everytime you use your system my software generates me a report that details every single thing you typed, from websites (and oh, some of the naughty ones that you visit!) to passwords (oh no, nobody would ever guess 1q2w3e4r5t, that's practically uncrackable!) to ... you guessed it ... search parameters and locations! I'm particularly fond of the sheer variety of online auction houses and foreign sites you use; much less competition than Abe, Alibris, Amazon, Bookfinder, and of course good ol' eBay!

Oh yeah ... when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside, I can see in but you can't see out ... and those white curtains only help me. Thank goodness I can see your screen from out there!

needfulthings
02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok, we have to stop hijacking Shannon's thread-otherwise the best searching collectors in the world won't share their tips. No offense but search tips are the most important.
I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT MOST MEN & ALL BABIES PREFER THE BREAST TIPS

Merlin1958
02-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Since I have more or less "Completed" my collection (at least what I set out to accumulate) I can share. I actually paid a person (Member "Rusher") to assist. She found the most amazing deals!!! Of course, I searched "Ebay" regularly and utilized these boards extensively. When I started working with "Dolso" I spread out to access to the individual artists. Naturally, as your reputation grows, so does your "contact" base. "Hutch" and "Betts" were mainstay's for the hardcore editions. Maybe not very sophisticated, but it worked for me.

Oh, I would be remiss not to mention "Weathevane7" She helped me out quite a bit. Very nice Lady!!!

Shannon
02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
How'd you know my password was 1q2w3e4r5t?

Ben Staad
02-24-2013, 01:27 AM
LOL. I have no problem with sharing my "secrets". I think I would love to hear what went on before ebay and the prevalence of the internet. It must have been some wild times tracking down the books with correspondence everywhere.

needfulthings
02-24-2013, 02:58 AM
LOL. I have no problem with sharing my "secrets". I think I would love to hear what went on before ebay and the prevalence of the internet. It must have been some wild times tracking down the books with correspondence everywhere.
BEEN THERE....... DID THAT! I'D SAY 80% OF MY KING COLLECTION AND 100% OF MY MOVIE TIE-IN COLLECTION. I STOPED BUYING MOVIE TIE-INS 16 YEARS AGO (OVER 10,000 BOOKS & MAGAZINES) WERE BOUGHT BEFORE THE INTERNET. BY THE WAY VERY LITTLE CORRESPONDENCE JUST EVERY WEEK WOULD HIT BOOK STORES & NEWS STANDS & ONCE IN A WHILE A BOOK FAIR. LIKE I STATED ONCE BEFORE THE WIFE & I SPENT THE NIGHT STANDING IN FRONT OF A BOOK STORE TO BUY THE S/L THE STAND.
PART OF THE MAGAZINE COLLECTION 1958-1996
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/8391/dscn7107al.jpg

Shannon
02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
What a great picture. :)

mcdonaldj
02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Holy crap - that is an immense magazine collection which appears very carefully sorted and indexed (Library Girl would be proud)! What is the total count?!?

I search ebay, alibris, amazon two-three times a week - and then just end up buying from a member here or Betts. It is fun to look but I rarely buy from other places. I have a hard time buying anything but a legit S/L from ebay with all the fakes. Veryfine and Abe are a waste of time IMHO.

I count on this forum to let me know when new S/Ls are being released so I can scoop one up (The Shining & Dr. Sleep) and also when S.K. is having a signing to see if I can get there.

Not sure any of this is much of a secret, but that's all I've got.

Stebbins
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
I buy the books I know I'll want to keep and borrow the rest from the library :tongue:... not much of a collector yet. Turns out you need spare cash for that haha

Patrick
02-26-2013, 01:06 AM
How do I collect? Haphazardly.

Sir_Boomme
02-26-2013, 05:57 AM
I wait until I see something I want when someone post's pictures here of their collections... then I do some internet searches and find out where they live.... and then I pay them a visit when they are not home....

nice collection there needful....

Sir_Boomme
02-26-2013, 06:02 AM
BTW.... I know for a fact...
Bob has the CIA do his searches... with a cray super-computer

did not post this... fess up... who is trying to be me?
and have you seen pics of me? who would want to be me?

Sir_Boomme
02-26-2013, 06:19 AM

Those are definitely some womanly weapons.... but... they're hardly a secret.... which reminds me....

I need to go over now and bump that melon thread....

ok.... this is weird.... though this sounds a lot like something I would post, I DID NOT post this message.... who the hell is signed in as me and posting messages as me... seriously

herbertwest
02-26-2013, 07:51 AM
A wizard never tells his secrets ;-)

Shannon
02-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Lol

Ari_Racing
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Some of those "secrets" were mistakenly given as suggestions in other threads. Some long ago, some not so long. ;)

Ben Staad
06-11-2014, 09:58 AM
I've been around a bit (not long compared to y'all) and seen some folks come and go. I'm curious what "serious" collectors think qualifies someone as a serious collector.

From my personal experience and from where I now stand I do not have the ability to collect what I want but I still pursue, enjoy, and plot to own more SK items. The value of the items I can procure are typically not high dollar items however I still feel I am a collector.

When I started collecting it was only to purchase each and every King book. I didn't know about special editions and I probably wouldn't have cared about them. I was making an attempt to purchase all SK books in any format I could. My goal was to own, read, and enjoy Mr. Kings works. Paperback, hard cover, used, new, library editions were all fair game to me.

For the serious collectors out there...What are your opinions about what makes someone a serious SK collector?

Kingfan24
06-11-2014, 09:59 AM
A serious collector in my opinion is someone who believes they are a serious collector regardless of how expensive their collection is.

Rahfa
06-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Yeah, that's a fair definition - some people don't have the money for major purchases, but - for example - still try to "seriously collect" all the hardcovers, whether first editions or not, like you say. That takes effort, so it's pretty serious.

So any goal beyond, "oh, I guess I'll read the new King book" probably makes you a collector, and then your level of ambition will determine how serious you view yourself. Your defintion means more than someone else's.

jhanic
06-11-2014, 11:05 AM
I think, therefore I am. :D

John

Randall Flagg
06-11-2014, 11:29 AM
They never smile....even with a new P&J...

Papaseraphim
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I'll wait for Bob's answer to what makes someone a serious collector. :)

thegreattim
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm with most of you guys in that if you feel like a collector, you probably are. I learned when I first joined this little community that it doesn't matter what your collection looks like, if you love it, seek it out, and take care of it, it's a serious collection.

Took me a while to realize my ratty doubleday hardcovers were nothing to be ashamed of. Not everyone will have every [1/1, S/L, whatever...] known to man, nor does everyone need to.

Like John said, "I think, therefore I am." Have passion for your collecting, that's all I need.

Frankie
06-11-2014, 11:51 AM
still try to "seriously collect" all the hardcovers, whether first editions or not, like you say. That takes effort, so it's pretty serious.

With BCEs, later printings, reprints, etc, you could probably do that right now entirely on eBay for a few hundred bucks. Not sure I'd call that a "serious collector".

I was making an attempt to purchase all SK books in any format I could. My goal was to own, read, and enjoy Mr. Kings works.

Personally I'd call that something more like "serious reader" than "serious collector".

thegreattim
06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
still try to "seriously collect" all the hardcovers, whether first editions or not, like you say. That takes effort, so it's pretty serious.

With BCEs, later printings, reprints, etc, you could probably do that right now entirely on eBay for a few hundred bucks. Not sure I'd call that a "serious collector".

A couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to some people. I'm a serious collector on a grad student budget, aka, not everything that comes out end up in my collection. Doesn't make me or anyone else less of a collector. When I first joined, the "first" half of my King collection was BCEs. I didn't know any better. Still, I loved my books.

The Library Policeman
06-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Spending money on one book that makes other people (namely non collectors and spouses) look at you in disbelief. Usually followed by the words - "Really?? For a book??" This makes you a serious collector IMO.

biomieg
06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
This intangible urge to hunt for and gather a certain set of items that appeal to you whatever they are), and that feeling when you SCORED! That, and a certain degree of OCD when it comes to storing/preserving/displaying your trophies, is what defines a true collector IMO.

racerx45
06-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Nice, may have been too subtle for some but I appreciated it.

needfulthings
06-11-2014, 01:25 PM
I GUESS WHEN YOU OWN ONE OF THESE?
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/3756/vv6o.jpg

Frankie
06-11-2014, 01:33 PM

A couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to some people. I'm a serious collector on a grad student budget, aka, not everything that comes out end up in my collection. Doesn't make me or anyone else less of a collector. When I first joined, the "first" half of my King collection was BCEs. I didn't know any better. Still, I loved my books.

I'm not saying that the monetary expenditure is the prime consideration. Just saying that having all of King's books in HC wouldn't necessarily make you a serious collector IMO because you could literally spend a couple hours on eBay and a couple hundred bucks and have that collection. It wouldn't necessarily take much effort at all. If it took you years to arrive at the exact same collection due to monetary considerations and you spent a lot of time and effort finding really nice BCEs and 11th printings then you'd probably qualify for serious collector, just serious collector on an extraordinarily tight budget. Though personally in that case I wouldn't consider a BCE Carrie part of my collection, I'd consider it a reading copy.

George at C-Springs
06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
I'd already been collecting for awhile and had lots of proofs, remarques, hardcovers, paperbacks, prints, foreigns, PCs, S/Ls ... but for me personally, the "Serious Collector" moment was when I bought The Stand S/L. Aside from the money, it was the knowing ...

needfulthings
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
A SERIOUS COLLECTOR!
http://imageshack.com/a/img834/2676/9jxyq.jpg

needfulthings
06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
When the ONLY Book Club Editions in your Stephen King Collection look like this.
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/1065/y5fps.jpg

dnemec
06-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't think it necessarily has to do with money, but I agree with The Library Policeman--when you start buying books with a price tag that has non-collectors' jaws dropping, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start buying lots of bookcases with doors to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start dropping hundreds of dollars to buy slipcases, Brodart covers, etc., just to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector.

I think for me, it was when I first went to The Strand in NYC. I found my way to the Rare Book Room and went nuts. It's where I bought my first collectible DT books. It's where I bought my first ARCs/proofs (think I picked up 3 that day). And its where I got The Road to the Dark Tower signed by Bev Vincent. I walked out with 2 large shopping bags and a dazed look on my face, having spent a few dollars on clearance books and almost $600 in the Rare Book Room. It was a lovely day!

needfulthings
06-11-2014, 03:40 PM
WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUY A BOOK ON TIME PAYMENTS:doh:!

webstar1000
06-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Because you care.

AKC
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
When you find yourself active in a community on the internet that was developed for the sole purpose of celebrating the works of your favorite author..........you might be a serious collector.

Lot guy
06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Anyone seeking books for an end goal, collection. As far a value wise my most valuable book is a BOMC 'Salem's Lot, it was my first King book & was a gift that couldn't be replaced by another copy. While I can always buy another S/L or such, I can't replace that BOMC. I think when collecting value is all up to the collector & not necissarily by market value.

Frankie
06-11-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't think it necessarily has to do with money, but I agree with The Library Policeman--when you start buying books with a price tag that has non-collectors' jaws dropping, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start buying lots of bookcases with doors to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector. And when you start dropping hundreds of dollars to buy slipcases, Brodart covers, etc., just to protect your books, it a good indication you are a serious collector.

I think for me, it was when I first went to The Strand in NYC. I found my way to the Rare Book Room and went nuts. It's where I bought my first collectible DT books. It's where I bought my first ARCs/proofs (think I picked up 3 that day). And its where I got The Road to the Dark Tower signed by Bev Vincent. I walked out with 2 large shopping bags and a dazed look on my face, having spent a few dollars on clearance books and almost $600 in the Rare Book Room. It was a lovely day!

I think most people would agree:

1. Expending significant effort and significant money: Serious collector.
2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector.

But what are people's thoughts on:

3. Expending little/no effort and significant money. (i.e. you just go on Betts one day, buy a copy of every different King book listed for asking price, and all of a sudden have a collection worth $80,000 dollars (or whatever), that you paid 120,000 dollars for.
4. Expending significant effort and little money.

It seems most people would agree 4 is a serious collector (and I do as well), but what about 3? I'd say they are. Or at least could be. Could be they're a 1,000 dollar an hour lawyer that loves the shit out of King, wants an amazing collection, but is better off spending his time lawyering than pissing around with eBay and forums for hours at a time. But then I also tilt back the other way a little, and think that if he's really seriously interested and serious about collecting, wouldn't he make some time even if it wasn't financially advantageous?

skyofcrack
06-11-2014, 05:05 PM
I'll tell ya what makes a serious King collector, one who does not sell even when they are homeless and living in their car. Just one book got away. One.

Also, when you have no money yet you are still trying to find a way to buy more books.

Frankie
06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Anyone seeking books for an end goal, collection. As far a value wise my most valuable book is a BOMC 'Salem's Lot, it was my first King book & was a gift that couldn't be replaced by another copy. While I can always buy another S/L or such, I can't replace that BOMC. I think when collecting value is all up to the collector & not necissarily by market value.

Ever see the Simpsons where Homer hocks Lisa's violin for a poker game and fat Tony's goon says "Well, it isn't really worth anything, but the sentimental value is through the roof!"?

I'm the same way. The first King book my mother bought me (and she has since bought me at least two dozen) is a 1st/1st but isn't worth anything, but I'd never sell it for any price. Nah, that's a lie. 100 grand gets it. It's a beat to shit copy of Misery. Also, this is the only time in my life I wished I was older, I coulda had 1sts from Carrie on if I was 50+.

dnemec
06-11-2014, 05:15 PM
I'll tell ya what makes a serious King collector, one who does not sell even when they are homeless and living in their car. Just one book got away. One.

Also, when you have no money yet you are still trying to find a way to buy more books.

YES!!!!!!!!

Frankie
06-11-2014, 05:37 PM

I gotta ask, what book?

skyofcrack
06-11-2014, 06:08 PM

I gotta ask, what book?

My S/L of Christine which I had since 1984.

needfulthings
06-11-2014, 06:13 PM
You know you are a Serious Collector... When an Award Winning Author writes a novel about the time you kept Miranda Grey captive in your house & Stephen King writes a 10 page introduction about it. FREDERICK CLEGG
http://imageshack.com/a/img842/6944/l5rop.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4847/qyel.jpg

mcdonaldj
06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Spending money on one book that makes other people (namely non collectors and spouses) look at you in disbelief. Usually followed by the words - "Really?? For a book??" This makes you a serious collector IMO.

Yep, agreed.

George at C-Springs
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
The first King book my mother bought me (and she has since bought me at least two dozen) is a 1st/1st but isn't worth anything, but I'd never sell it for any price.

Yep, mine was her paperback copy of The Dead Zone with the cover torn off. Still go it. Will also sell for 100 grand.

Merlin1958
06-11-2014, 08:09 PM
You know you are a serious collector, when you have to pay the mailman to deliver you books in person and hide the payments from your wife.

Example of typical methods of accomplishing this situation....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2BfupSjWE

herbertwest
06-12-2014, 12:44 AM
"2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector."

I disagree. You dont necessarily have to spend a LOT to be a serious collector. I personnally dont have much money, but i hunt some items. I found some after years of hunting and was lucky to get them for a very small cost.

I also started collecting foreign books from another author. Within a month or so, I now have like 5 of them. I didnt necessarily spend a lot.
What about the guy that is trying to gather every single VHS of the movie SPEED. And buying them as cheaply as possible, if not free?
>> I think that this qualifies as a serious collector.

I think that the most important 'thing' for the definition would be : the consistancy of the hunt.
Someone that spends time to create a collection (no matter how expensive it is), and collecting over a period of time.
And if someone just started collecting, if he goes on a buying spree and then continue to gather stuff over time then yes, i would say that this person becomes a "serious collector".

The main thing is not to be a "serious collector", but to be happy with whather your collection is. Even if you cannot

Br!an
06-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Now that is serious.

Br!an
06-12-2014, 04:15 AM
WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUY A BOOK ON TIME PAYMENTS:doh:!
:cool_002:

thegreattim
06-12-2014, 04:36 AM

I think most people would agree:

1. Expending significant effort and significant money: Serious collector.
2. Expending little/no effort and little/no money: Not serious collector.

But what are people's thoughts on:

3. Expending little/no effort and significant money. (i.e. you just go on Betts one day, buy a copy of every different King book listed for asking price, and all of a sudden have a collection worth $80,000 dollars (or whatever), that you paid 120,000 dollars for.
4. Expending significant effort and little money.

It seems most people would agree 4 is a serious collector (and I do as well), but what about 3? I'd say they are. Or at least could be. Could be they're a 1,000 dollar an hour lawyer that loves the shit out of King, wants an amazing collection, but is better off spending his time lawyering than pissing around with eBay and forums for hours at a time. But then I also tilt back the other way a little, and think that if he's really seriously interested and serious about collecting, wouldn't he make some time even if it wasn't financially advantageous?

I think 4 is more of a serious collector than 3, although 3 could be in time. For me, it's more of an "effort and passion" thing than a monetary thing. Like you said (and I misunderstood) just going out and buying a couple hundred dollars worth of hardcovers at once to "complete" your collection doesn't make one a serious collector. Neither does blowing $120k at Bett's at one time to complete your collection either.

thegreattim
06-12-2014, 04:44 AM

:thumbsup: These two things right here. What can I sell to buy more books, and what is the one thing I'd never sell??

Br!an
06-12-2014, 06:28 AM
A collector is anyone who would spend the time discussing the meaning of being a serious collector. :smile: A collector is a person who looks for something specific to add to a set they intend to hold on to.

A serious collector is anyone who is often conscious of their collection or collecting goals as contrasted by a casual collector who is occasionally conscious of such.

skyofcrack
06-12-2014, 06:37 AM
How about someone who will go through 50 copies in a stack of new books to find that perfect copy with no blemishes then put it in a plastic bag (which he brought to the store specifically for the book) then take it to the register and NOT let the clerk take it from you but gently show them the UPC code through the bag so it can be scanned. Then, pay and get the book safely home and into a Brodart cover ASAP! Serious Collector, OCD or both? :D

thegunslinger41
06-12-2014, 06:38 AM
A serious book collector is all in the eyes of the book holder.

becca69
06-12-2014, 07:48 AM

LOL.

This.

Frankie
06-12-2014, 07:57 AM
How about someone who will go through 50 copies in a stack of new books to find that perfect copy with no blemishes then put it in a plastic bag (which he brought to the store specifically for the book) then take it to the register and NOT let the clerk take it from you but gently show them the UPC code through the bag so it can be scanned. Then, pay and get the book safely home and into a Brodart cover ASAP! Serious Collector, OCD or both? :D

Someone who's not a collector at all might do that if they had massive OCD, so it could go either way. :)

Papaseraphim
06-12-2014, 12:01 PM
A real collector would definitely buy a book bound in human skin!

Harvard confirms antique book is bound in human skin (http://news.yahoo.com/harvard-confirms-antique-book-bound-human-skin-231837468.html)

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/f91359536ff442c949e8ffe2b3039f01f52c9aaf.jpg

dnemec
06-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Harvard confirms antique book is bound in human skin (http://news.yahoo.com/harvard-confirms-antique-book-bound-human-skin-231837468.html)

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/f91359536ff442c949e8ffe2b3039f01f52c9aaf.jpg

I would sooooo have a book bound in human skin in my collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
06-12-2014, 12:38 PM

I'll bind a book in my own skin.

If it's my foreskin, the book will only be trade size, not Octavo

Joe315
06-12-2014, 12:54 PM

I'll bind a book in my own skin.

If it's my foreskin, the book will only be trade size, not Octavo

I think you meant to say chapbook

:Ball Kick:

Randall Flagg
06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
I tried not to brag (should have been 'Salem's Lot S/L size), but knew I'd get called out on that one.

herbertwest
06-12-2014, 01:49 PM
I read about this book.
I wonder how many human skin leather bound books there are out there.

becca69
06-12-2014, 02:09 PM
I read about this book.
I wonder how many human skin leather bound books there are out there.

The article said they would use a convict's skin to bind books containing their crimes and convictions and in Victorian times they used the deceased's skin to make memorial books. I guess it was more prevalent in days of yore :D

becca69
06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I tried not to brag (should have been 'Salem's Lot S/L size), but knew I'd get called out on that one.

Hey Jerome, how you doin' :blush:

George at C-Springs
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Easy there lady, settle down :excited:

Merlin1958
06-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Easy there lady, settle down :excited:

He's right, my dear I wear a size 17 shoe and can carry a basketball in one hand like it was a soccer ball. You do know what they say, right? Well, its true. Meet me in, Vegas and bring your tape measure!! LOL LOL

Well, of course I have a "Big Dick", Dolso is my best friend!!! LOL

Pasiuk57
06-12-2014, 06:50 PM
I think when you turn one of the largest bedrooms you have into a 26 bookshelf library of King and Hill books among others, could be a sign you are somewhat serious...
When you fell like you have to have every Trade, S/L, Lettered, Proof, Manuscript etc that is out there somewhere....
When you cannot stop searching for that next book on your "Want List"...
Could be a dead giveaway that you are serious......

Gmailman
07-22-2014, 11:16 AM
I just wait until Randall Flagg posts an interesting item.

Roseannebarr
07-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Me too! He does a great job in finding things i need, before i even knew i needed them!

Randall Flagg
11-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Me too! He does a great job in finding things i need, before i even knew i needed them!
Test.

Sir_Boomme
11-20-2014, 03:34 PM

you mean.. your stealing shannon's... that silly boob... secrets?

Bob... please be a sport and provide us a list of all your super-dupper-secret contacts....along with their phone numbers and email addys.

Sir_Boomme
11-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Those are definitely some womanly weapons.... but... they're hardly a secret.... which reminds me....

I need to go over now and bump that melon thread....

ok.... this is weird.... though this sounds a lot like something I would post, I DID NOT post this message.... who the hell is signed in as me and posting messages as me... seriously

guess it's time to change that password

Sir_Boomme
11-20-2014, 03:38 PM
I wait until I see something I want when someone post's pictures here of their collections... then I do some internet searches and find out where they live.... and then I pay them a visit when they are not home....

nice collection there needful....

and this is not me posting either.... this website has freaked out and gone nuts

Sir_Boomme
11-20-2014, 03:42 PM
password changed.... let's see if any other not me posts show up under my name.

RF... how is this possible...

Sir_Boomme
11-20-2014, 04:03 PM
BEEN THERE....... DID THAT! I'D SAY 80% OF MY KING COLLECTION AND 100% OF MY MOVIE TIE-IN COLLECTION. I STOPED BUYING MOVIE TIE-INS 16 YEARS AGO (OVER 10,000 BOOKS & MAGAZINES) WERE BOUGHT BEFORE THE INTERNET. BY THE WAY VERY LITTLE CORRESPONDENCE JUST EVERY WEEK WOULD HIT BOOK STORES & NEWS STANDS & ONCE IN A WHILE A BOOK FAIR. LIKE I STATED ONCE BEFORE THE WIFE & I SPENT THE NIGHT STANDING IN FRONT OF A BOOK STORE TO BUY THE S/L THE STAND.
PART OF THE MAGAZINE COLLECTION 1958-1996
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/8391/dscn7107al.jpg

ok... truth... those are all hustler and other porn mags...right?

Johnny007
11-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Boobs??? I haven't seen that tactic before. Please send a discreet video showing that tact so I can practice with my girlfriend!!! Thanks in advance.

Randall Flagg
11-21-2014, 05:51 AM

I have no idea. ask carlosdetweiIler

TCCBodhi
11-25-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm finding that just waiting for the official S/L is about all I can generally keep up with financially.

Merlin1958
11-26-2014, 09:31 PM

I have no idea. ask carlosdetweiIler

Jerome, has left the building!!! He's outta control!!! LOL Our Director needs direction at times methinks!! LOL What an Internet Imp!! LOL

Terry, perhaps you never should have let him pose pulling on your beard!! LOL

If you want, I have the "Noogie" pic somewhere!! LOL He is entertaining and that is why he is TMIDITW!!!!