PDA

View Full Version : Facsimile Signatures In Limited Editions

Randall Flagg
02-10-2013, 02:03 PM
It is my perception that most Collectors would prefer a real signature, or none at all.
What is the general view on the use of facsimile signatures?

bdwyer19
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I suppose if it was a pretty cool gift edition with very well done art, I would be ok with a facsimile signature. But otherwise, I don't see the point.

east-tennessee
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Of course I would prefer a real signature but, it dosen't bother me to have a facsimile signature if it's a limited edition book and they all have one.
I don't think I would want a trade edition with a book plate facsimile signature in it.

Lauterer
02-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Facsimile signature means nothing to me and only is worth the costs of the ink for this few letters. It is absolutely no justification for a higher price or any need to be in a book! imho!

Coulrophobia
02-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I think it is ok if other options are offered. As an example if the 25th anniversary IT gift edition had a facsimile, but you had the option of a real signature in the more limited editions.

jhanic
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I voted abhor, but there are a few exceptions if the volume is very well done: I'm thinking of the "gift" editions published in the UK with the facsimile signatures. Those were okay. I certainly wouldn't pay much extra though.

John

Brice
02-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I have no averson to them. I just don't feel they warrant extra $s. Basically I would choose a well designed trade edition above a lesser designed gift edition. I would choose between two gift editions based on design of the books and would really pay no mind either way to a fakesimile signature was included. I voted that I abhor them, but only because there wasn't an option to reflect my indifference to them.

sgc1999
02-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Facsimile is like plastic fruit.
WHY???

Scoogs
02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
WHY???

:lol:

I don't hate them, I just don't see the purpose. Are they actually considered a selling point by the publishers?
If given the choice, I certainly wouldn't pay more to have one added to a book.

I've always wondered if there was a reason that publishers add them. Is there some kind of history behind it?

Robert Fulman
02-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I would rather have an unsigned, numbered gift edition.

Brice
02-10-2013, 08:14 PM
My favorites are the idiots on ebay who advertise a signed book when they mean the embossed sig on the front board of a book. LOL

Merlin1958
02-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a little less "picky" I guess. A LE is a LE and while I prefer a real sig if, that's all there is (UK UTD comes to mind) it is what it is. Sigh.

Ben Staad
02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
For me they are a detraction from the book. They can be confusing for a very new collector and add nothing to a book.

Garrell
02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Just print to me.

DanHocker
02-11-2013, 07:16 AM
I think it is ok if other options are offered. As an example if the 25th anniversary IT gift edition had a facsimile, but you had the option of a real signature in the more limited editions.

The gift edition of "The 25th Anniversary Edition of IT" didn't have a facsimile signature, it had no signature at all.

ChristineB
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I have no idea why they would include a facs sig. I don't see the point at all. There are ones on covers that I see as just decoration and I don't mind, but why include them in the book at all is beyond me. To me it just confuses buyers in the after market venues and give sellers just one more way to try to rape people that don't have the knowledge they should. The publishers don't care about after market stuff, which is fine, but it seems to me they are trying to do about the same thing, jack up the price due to a "sig" being in the book, when that sig is worth nothing but the price of the ink.

Merlin1958
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
I have no idea why they would include a facs sig. I don't see the point at all. There are ones on covers that I see as just decoration and I don't mind, but why include them in the book at all is beyond me. To me it just confuses buyers in the after market venues and give sellers just one more way to try to rape people that don't have the knowledge they should. The publishers don't care about after market stuff, which is fine, but it seems to me they are trying to do about the same thing, jack up the price due to a "sig" being in the book, when that sig is worth nothing but the price of the ink.

I guess I find myself in a "weird" minority as I still view it as a "Ltd Edition" meaning a restricted and finite print run. Of course, a real sig supersede's but certain "Ltd's" (generally UK) appeal to me as a UK 1/1 collector in addition to U.S. Then again, my collection, my rules, as with all others.

needfulthings
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
INSOMINIA U.K. SPECIAL LIMITED EDITIONS
LEFT FACSIMLE 1/2,000 AUTHORIZED BY KING WITH SLIPCASE. RIGHT REAL SIGNATURE 1/200 NO SLIPCASE.
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/7932/dscn7065.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/8077/img771.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/7098/img770i.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5805/img772n.jpg

WHICH IS THE BETTER LOOKING BOOK? IT IS.... WHAT IT IS!

Coulrophobia
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
My question which is better a real signature on the page or a real signature on a bookplate? Seems like I being someone that does not own a book with a bookplate will the adhesiveness break down then fall off leaving residue?

needfulthings
02-11-2013, 03:17 PM
WHY???

FOR THE 1,800 WHO DID WITHOUT THE REAL THING.FOR THE $$$$$$$$$. WHY DID KING AUTHORIZE A 2nd 10,000 PRINT RUN OF THE GUNSLINGER?:panic::pullhair::angry::cry:.. I WANT ONE TOO.

needfulthings
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
My question which is better a real signature on the page or a real signature on a bookplate? Seems like I being someone that does not own a book with a bookplate will the adhesiveness break down then fall off leaving residue?

A SIGNATURE SIGNED IN FRONT OF YOU.

WHICH ONE DO YOU KNOW IS REAL?
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/9783/img773m.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img40/6847/img774.jpg
BOTH OF COURSE & HOW DO I KNOW? BECAUSE I HAD THE ONE ON THE RIGHT SIGNED .

TwistedNadine
02-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Agreed and well said.

My favorites are the idiots on ebay who advertise a signed book when they mean the embossed sig on the front board of a book. LOL

How about the idiots who buy them and pay the extra premium for the signature?

WHY???

DITTO! Also well said

Brice
02-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes, those are bad, but I just kinda' feel sad for them. :(

Randall Flagg
11-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Barry Hoffman from Gauntlet Press published an interesting article today regarding facsimile signatures:
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/565194/ab6f02048d/284250441/584f672cea/

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Barry Hoffman from Gauntlet Press published an interesting article today regarding facsimile signatures:

The PS Editions with Faxsimile signatures all sold out, making the small publisher lots of money to keep them in business.

Q. What is Gauntlet Press' beef? They should be supporting small publishers to the end of the earth. (We are all in this together.)

Dan
11-18-2015, 03:40 PM
I couldn't care less if they have a facsimile signature. It adds no value. Kind of like the gold embossed signature on the hard cover of some of his books. I don't hate them, but don't prefer them over a non signature either. So neither selection is what I will pick.

needfulthings
11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Then again there are just a limited number of them & MILLIONS of the gold embossed ones.

Dan
11-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Then again there are just a limited number of them & MILLIONS of the gold embossed ones.

I know, my point is that it is, in my opinion, not much different than decoration. No value. One mans opinion.

webstar1000
11-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Barry doesn't seem to like PS much... Neither do i to be honest but like Alan said... Small press on another small press like that seems odd to me.

tippy4
11-18-2015, 07:40 PM
I couldn't care less if they have a facsimile signature. It adds no value. Kind of like the gold embossed signature on the hard cover of some of his books. I don't hate them, but don't prefer them over a non signature either. So neither selection is what I will pick.

I do actually hate them, and will never own one.

IMO, not only does it not add value, it reduces value.

Br!an
11-19-2015, 05:09 AM
I hate them too. They ruin a perfectly good book.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-19-2015, 05:59 AM
No, the facsimile signature won't bring value to a book but at the same time I wouldn't turn away a book that has artwork I like in it or an introduction by King that makes it exclusive to the edition. I like what these artist are doing with King's stories. JMO

Mulleins

jsmcmullen92
11-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Barry doesn't seem to like PS much... Neither do i to be honest but like Alan said... Small press on another small press like that seems odd to me.

It seems lately that his newsletters have been anti PS. He ragged on their Bradbury Something Wicked this Way Comes last time.

somekindofstranger
11-19-2015, 07:42 AM

The PS Editions with Faxsimile signatures all sold out, making the small publisher lots of money to keep them in business.

Q. What is Gauntlet Press' beef? They should be supporting small publishers to the end of the earth. (We are all in this together.)

I wondered that... that's 3 recent newsletters from Gauntlet that have directly attacked PS (the other two referred to the Ray Bradbury 'something wicked this way comes').
Not very cool.....

somekindofstranger
11-19-2015, 07:46 AM
and personally, for me they add no value - but equally they don't put me off a book either.

In the case of the PS books for example, they are nice slipcased editions of these books at an affordable price, which look better and will last longer than other std copies.

Much like the CD editions, they may not be to everyones liking but that's the buyers choice and there is really no need for anyone to bitch about them!

zelig
11-19-2015, 09:06 AM
The only thing that irritates me with facsimile signatures is when they are used as a marketing strategy to sell books. When you read lines like.. "Includes a facsimile signature." I mean, it's meaningless. It's just something printed on a page. It's like saying the book includes pages, you should buy it. The printed signature won't make me desire the book any more simply because it's there.

T-Dogz_AK47
11-19-2015, 09:58 AM

It seems lately that his newsletters have been anti PS. He ragged on their Bradbury Something Wicked this Way Comes last time.

Have you got a link to that newsletter, I would very much like to read the comments he made?

Br!an
11-19-2015, 10:46 AM
I PM'd you.

jsmcmullen92
11-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Have you got a link to that newsletter, I would very much like to read the comments he made?

I PM'd you.

I am assuming Brian hooked you up.If so thanks Brian, if not I can go rummage through my email and see what I can find.

Br!an
11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
:thumbsup:

herbertwest
11-19-2015, 01:19 PM
What about fac-simile messages?

There are probably other books out there, but the first that comes to my mind is the french limied edition of THE GREEN MILE 1 : it includes a message by King to french readers + signature. The entiere thing is a fac simile, and there are about 300+ of those (300 numbered were given away in a contest, and there are some that are not numbered and were supposedly given away to some book stores or sales rep.

I agree that those would not be as interested as if it was an actual signature, but IMO it's better than a flatsigned fac simile (eg : REVIVAL UK fac simile edition).

Any opinion?

http://club-stephenking.fr/img/Collecting/laligneverte1-limited-signed-french.jpg

tippy4
11-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Those are just as bad if not worse.

jhanic
11-19-2015, 03:23 PM
The ABA edition of the proof of Gerald's Game also has a full-page handwritten letter from King in it. Of course, it's a facsimile.

John

tippy4
11-19-2015, 04:38 PM
And how many times have we seen a seller trying to pass those off as legit inscriptions?

webstar1000
11-19-2015, 04:41 PM
And how many times have we seen a seller trying to pass those off as legit inscriptions?

More than a few buddy.... More than a few!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-20-2015, 12:48 AM
I think it should be pointed out that ALL of the PS Anniversary Editions have REAL signatures on the limitation pages. You get several real signatures for very little money. The only facsimile signature is the Stephen King one which is on a different page.

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/carrie_ps1.jpg

webstar1000
11-20-2015, 04:35 AM
I think it should be pointed out that ALL of the PS Anniversary Editions have REAL signatures on the limitation pages. You get several real signatures for very little money. The only facsimile signature is the Stephen King one which is on a different page.

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/carrie_ps1.jpg

Agreed.... still though.. they did not need to bother with the King sig:(

TCCBodhi
11-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Agreed.... still though.. they did not need to bother with the King sig:(

I agree that my preference would have been NO facsimile signature on the PS books. That said, they SHOULD continue using them for consistency's sake for the remainder of their Anniversary Series. ***I'm really looking forward to getting Skeleton Crew in. That slipcover is pretty awesomely designed!***

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-21-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm really looking forward to getting Skeleton Crew in. That slipcover is pretty awesomely designed!***

Its a great design. The skeletons are different all the way round.

TrueNorth
11-22-2015, 03:25 AM
Put a facsimile signature in or don't. Makes no-never-mind to me.
I started to collect the PS Anniversary Series and was up to the first 4. They seem like a nice bunch over there and it's a really attractive set, BUT I sold mine and passed my number on to the guy that bought mine.
Two reasons why:
1. CD shipped me Carrie traycase edition. First of the DoubleDay books. Farout book and I preferred it.
2. I started thinking PS can do anniversary editions FOREVER and without end.

This seemed to be too much duplication for me.

herbertwest
11-27-2015, 09:30 AM
What about fac-simile messages?

There are probably other books out there, but the first that comes to my mind is the french limied edition of THE GREEN MILE 1 : it includes a message by King to french readers + signature. The entiere thing is a fac simile, and there are about 300+ of those (300 numbered were given away in a contest, and there are some that are not numbered and were supposedly given away to some book stores or sales rep.

I agree that those would not be as interested as if it was an actual signature, but IMO it's better than a flatsigned fac simile (eg : REVIVAL UK fac simile edition).

Any opinion?

http://club-stephenking.fr/img/Collecting/laligneverte1-limited-signed-french.jpg

Those are just as bad if not worse.

Even if those may be considered as bad, I have one to sell, and I havent seen one for sale in many years !
But I would guess that those are more likely to interest french collectors !

Ari_Racing
12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Considering that edition has a "fascimile" note by King, I'd buy it but only if it has a low price.

herbertwest
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
For information, I sold it within a day.