PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower: Evil Ground

nocny
01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER - EVIL GROUND #1 (of 2)

ROBIN FURTH and PETER DAVID (W)
RICHARD ISANOVE (A/C)

While traveling through the Desatoya Mountains towards Eluria, Roland comes across a haunted camp. While there, he relives one of his past adventures, in which he and his ka-tet fought Farson's forces, only to be trapped by supernatural enemies. A fascinating prequel to THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA, and also a return to Roland's much-loved early adventures, EVIL GROUND is a must-read for all Dark Tower fans.

http://stephenking.pl/stephen_king/news/dt_eg_1.jpg

Bev Vincent
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Debuts in April

jon10g
01-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Bev
Does King have any input into this series?
Jon

Bev Vincent
01-19-2013, 05:36 AM
Robin always runs ideas past him. I asked about that in my interview with him for the Dark Tower Companion. His response was interesting!

jon10g
01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Really looking forward to your new book.
Thanks
Jon

CyberGhostface
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
They're still milking this?

CurtSeattle
01-19-2013, 05:33 PM
I think it's great. Brings a younger audience to actually King books. Good stuff. :)

wahlers
01-22-2013, 07:09 AM
I think I remember them saying that when the series was renewed past the first 30 issues that there would be another 30 issues.

Since each of the 5 series so far have only been 5 issues each, it could be that they're doing these two issues along with the 2 Sheemie issues and maybe another one-shot to fill out the other 5 issues and enable them to do another hardcover.

I was actually curious at what they were planning to do if they had only had the 2 Sheemie issues as stragglers since they love to collect things into HC for double-dipping.

Bryant Burnette
02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Robin always runs ideas past him. I asked about that in my interview with him for the Dark Tower Companion. His response was interesting!

I bet!

I've been hot-and-cold on the comics overall, but some of them have been good. I really liked the first issue of Sheemie's Tale, for example, and Evil Ground sounds interesting. I'm happy to see Richard Isanove doing the art; he does good work, and one of the major problems I've had with the comics is that some of the artists who've worked on The Gunslinger have been ... well, let's just be charitable and say they didn't fit in as well as they might have.

Bev Vincent
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I interviewed quite a few of the artists for my book -- it's interesting to hear their varying approaches to the work. And there's one great anecdote about the model that was used for Sylvia Pittston in Tull series.

Bryant Burnette
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I interviewed quite a few of the artists for my book -- it's interesting to hear their varying approaches to the work. And there's one great anecdote about the model that was used for Sylvia Pittston in Tull series.

Well, I was already going to be buying your new book, but now I'm even more excited about it!

Tatts4Life
02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Just saw this thread. I wonder what all is planned for the comics? I wonder if they will go onto the drawing of the three book and beyond?

Brainslinger
02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I have most of the Dark Tower comics, but stopped reading when they started overlapping with The Gunslinger. (For me the comics are about the new stories. That being said I enjoyed Gunslinger Born which is predominantly a retelling of a large chunk of Wizard and Glass but that did include a lot of new material.)

Sheemie's tale (and it seems I'm out of date on that! I didn't realise it was out already.) and this though... yes. Right up my street.

ICry4Oy
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Is it in reference to the model who died from lukemia and King sent the autographed book to a benefit auction for
her and the people running it kept the book?

Bev Vincent
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
It is in reference to that, but I didn't hear about either of those outcomes. 1) that she died and 2) that they kept the book.

mae
02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Wonder if this will be combined with Sheemie for the hardcover?

nocny
02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Evil Ground #2

http://stephenking.pl/stephen_king/news/dt_eg_2.jpg

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Wonder if this will be combined with Sheemie for the hardcover?

Either that or Marvel will hold both out and include them only in the omnibus, if an omnibus is made.

Ari_Racing
02-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Both options are cool! :)

Scoogs
02-16-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm hoping for another two parter after Evil Ground so they can combine all three into a new hardcover.

Tatts4Life
03-19-2013, 03:19 AM
So I just got an email from my local store that they will have Evil Ground this Wednesday.

Ari_Racing
03-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Pretty cool! I'm pretty interested in this arc. :)

Dan
03-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I didn't see this at my comic store. Marvel says it hits stores April 3. Has anyone seen this yet?

Bryant Burnette
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I didn't see this at my comic store. Marvel says it hits stores April 3. Has anyone seen this yet?

It's not out until April 3 according to TFAW.com, which is the most useful online comic store I know of.

pathoftheturtle
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Comic stores don't always get all of the titles that are released and set them on the shelves. Better to tell them ahead of time that you are interested in it if you plan to buy there.

Tatts4Life
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
yeah it turns out that my store goofed when they sent out their weekly email of what was coming out. It was supposed to be here's what's coming out next month so get your subscriptions in now.

Bryant Burnette
04-03-2013, 12:03 PM
It's out today. Got my copy a bit earlier.

Tatts4Life
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I'll pick mine up tomorrow. Also WTF MARVEL AND COMIXOLOGY?! So Comixology or maybe marvel through comix stopped carrying the dark tower comics as far back as gunslinger born. They even are missing a few issues from an earlier arc. Anyways I just went on there and see that they have dark tower evil ground available for purchase. Why the hell would they start carrying the comic now after not carrying them for several years?

WeDealInLead
04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Back issues probably weren't selling and demand was low. My shop has a stack of The Gunslinger Born TPBs for $3.99 and the ones after that are five bucks.

Bryant Burnette
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I did not like this issue at all. Even the art is lousy, and Isanove typically does really good work.

Brainslinger
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
I got this recently. On learning it was on Comixology I decided to download it this time. (I usually order hard copies of this.)

It works pretty well on the Comixology App for my Android tablet, although the automated panel-hop feature could be a bit better. (I.e. it will zoom into text areas but won't always then scroll/zoom out to show the rest of the panel when viewing those long panels.) It's not a big issue as you can still do that stuff manually.

I enjoyed the art although that didn't look like a rabbit to me. And while I found the story intriguing... (particularly the present day segment) it's not doing a whole lot for me. It's not bad, but Roland makes a rather un-Roland like mistake at one point, which seemed to be an excuse to make things go wrong and get exciting. And would Roland really sleep through the bit with the ghost? And what's a ghost doing sucking bones?

I also noticed a couple of minor errors. Actually one of those isn't strictly an error from a story point of view, it just contradicts what Robin Furth states in the after-word. They're very small issues that don't really affect the story so it seems a bit petty me even bringing them up. ;)

I'd still like to see how it goes though. There's only one more issue to go after all.

Bryant Burnette
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
My take on it was that Roland did not behave like Roland at all, in present or past. It read like poorly-thought-out fanfiction, to me. If that's the direction the comics are going to take, I'll be happy to see them come to an end.

Wuducynn
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
To me the graphic novel series are exactly that fan-fiction given the green-light and some feedback from King. Not that there is anything wrong that.

pathoftheturtle
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
To me the graphic novel series are exactly that fan-fiction given the green-light and some feedback from King. Not that there is anything wrong that.This. +1

I have no desire to see them come to an end. Nothing wrong with it. I might even spend a little now and then to check out a couple of the pieces. Just don't A.) expect me to spend loads for a whole collection or B.) throw references to some issue in my face as "proof" of an interpretation in discussion of the novels.

Bryant Burnette
06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
The second issue is out. Anyone else read it?

It's better than the first. Not one of my favorites, but not bad.

Brainslinger
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
The second issue is out. Anyone else read it?

It's better than the first.

Good to know. I'm waiting for it to turn up on Comixology like the first. It seems they don't come out on a monthly basis there like the more mainstream comics.

One look at Comixology later...

Oh okay. I see it's there now too. Okay, feedback soon...

EDIT:
Okay I've read it now.

While quite readable, I didn't think it was very good. Roland and co. are on the run. They're wounded and the enemy might have tracked them. They stop in ruins which Roland acknowledges might contain monsters, but never mind, we've got our guns. They all then go to sleep without posting a guard. Unless you count Sheemie, but he wasn't so much posted as didn't feel like sleeping, for obvious reasons.

And that resolution... dear me.

And the present day thread.... well that didn't really come to much did it?

In terms of positive points, I thought the ghouls were suitably creepy. An interesting design. And I thought the whole dream thing was genuinely interesting.