PDA

View Full Version : To Boldly Go... Star Trek Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

sarajean
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
which star trek was the best?

deep space 9 was my favourite. i'll go into why more later, but a lot of it had to do with the number of recurring jeffrey combs roles. he's one of my biggest geek crushes, mainly due to his work in the trekverse.

Armand St Pierre
12-26-2007, 04:58 PM
The Next Generation actually had episodes that I still think about, a feat that none of the other Series achieved.

I did like Odo.....oatmeal man!

ZoNeSeeK
12-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Voyager.

http://www.ugo.com/images/galleries/girlsofstartrek_girlfriends/jeriryan/jeri_1.jpg

because of the quality acting :D

Telynn
12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
The acting sure....

But my vote, the orginal show, sure wasn't for acting either.

Matt
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
I did next generation. I love the Borg story lines :borg:

jayson
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
next generation and "classic trek" are the only two i watched. i liked next gen better, not for the least of reasons being the quality of the acting.

TerribleT
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
TNG, the quality of actng, FX, and stories were all superior to Star Trek. I have been a trekkie most of my life though, and for it's time, the original series was far and away better then anything on TV. I enjoyed watching TNG mature as well. I loved DS9 too!!!! Interesting tid bit, the woman who plays Dax also plays Reggie on Becker.

Daghain
12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Next Generation. Definitely. I can't watch Shatner. At all. :lol:

Rjeso
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
TNG fo' sho.' Picard kicks major ass.

CPU
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I picked TNG, much for the same reasons as others have cited. Given it's longer run the writers (and actors) were able to explore the characters more than on TOS.

TOS is still classic and they had some awesome stories City on the Edge of Forever, Mirror-Mirror (the followup on DS9 was freakin AWESOME :)), and many others. I still feel TNG was better in the long run though. Having said that I feel like the first couple of seasons of TNG were inferior to TOS (and were actually quite bad in my opinion :lol:), but by season 3 the writers and actors were getting their act together (no pun intended).

Great topic sarajean :clap:

sarajean
12-27-2007, 01:55 PM
:lol: corey, i was actually thinking of you when i thought of it. :P

fernandito
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I've never seen a Star Trek show in my life. :)

sarajean
12-27-2007, 04:41 PM
:o

we're totally breaking up.

:P

jayson
12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
The original cast was fantastic as themselves in the Futurama episode they did, particularly Walter Koenig and George Takei. It's among my fav Futuramas and that is saying a LOT!

fernandito
12-28-2007, 08:26 AM
:o

we're totally breaking up.

:P

You don't want us to live out a hypothetical part 2 to Sleeping With The Enemy now do you?

:unsure:

You don't want that. I don't want that. And Ringo here definitely don't want that.

To The Dark Tower Came
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I'd have to vote TOS as the best. While TNG comes a fairly close second. Next Gen. had a longer run, but they also had a longer grind towards becoming a good show. The first few seasons were waaay to busy cramming social messages down our throats without the benefit of doing it in an entertaining way. But then they manages to combine a bit more action/adventure and a message undertone in some pretty good ways.

I liked TOS because they were more subversive in their social commentary (not to say that a few episodes didn't whack us over the head message wise). They did the first interracial kiss without it being a story stopper, plodding the plot down, etc. That and Kirk going against a big, green, rubber lizard rules over all.

TerribleT
12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
That and Kirk going against a big, green, rubber lizard rules over all.

That's THE special effect that I had in mind when I made my comment about the effects being better in TNG. I thought that lizard was possibly the worst effect EVER. That's actually one of my least favorite episodes of the original series, and quite possibly the hokiest of all Star trek episodes.

To The Dark Tower Came
12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
That's THE special effect that I had in mind when I made my comment about the effects being better in TNG. I thought that lizard was possibly the worst effect EVER. That's actually one of my least favorite episodes of the original series, and quite possibly the hokiest of all Star trek episodes.

But you can't compare special effects when there's a span of 18 years between the two. Of course the lizard was bad, as were the sets, the fights, and William Shatner. But that's what made it great. It was a cheesy show that knew it was pretty much a cheesy show and went whole hog, unabashed at it. People flocked to it. TNG on the other hand was bad for it's first three season AND took itself so seriously it was laughable. It was pure Trek dedication that kept that show afloat until the other factors stepped up and made it great.

TerribleT
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
But you can't compare special effects when there's a span of 18 years between the two. Of course the lizard was bad, as were the sets, the fights, and William Shatner. TNG on the other hand was bad for it's first three season AND took itself so seriously it was laughable. It was pure Trek dedication that kept that show afloat until the other factors stepped up and made it great.

Agreed, and I'll admit that I didn't even watch TNG until about the 3rd or 4th season, in large part due to the fact that I hate having someone else's social message crammed down my throat. It was only later that I watched the first few seasons, and I mostly enhoyed them because they put the later seasons into context for me, and it was interesting to watch the developement and maturing process of the show.

Matt
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
TOS was original camp, that's for sure. :lol:

To The Dark Tower Came
12-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I've been to a lot of Trek conventions (shut up, my mom says I'm cool) and met or heard most of the TOS and TNG cast. One of the best stories is from Marina Sirtis who plays Deanna Troi talking about character development. There's an episode where Deanna gets space-pregnant and the crew is discussing her space-baby. Well, Worf votes for aborting the baby.

She goes on to talk about that in following episodes that she would frown at Worf in-character to the point where Michael Dorn came up to he after three or four tapings and said he'd noticed this happening. And she told him "Well my character hates your's now because you wanted to kill her baby!"

None of it ever made it to a single show, but talk about trying to make depth...lol.

TerribleT
12-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I've been to a lot of Trek conventions (shut up, my mom says I'm cool) and met or heard most of the TOS and TNG cast. One of the best stories is from Marina Sirtis who plays Deanna Troi talking about character development. There's an episode where Deanna gets space-pregnant and the crew is discussing her space-baby. Well, Worf votes for aborting the baby.

She goes on to talk about that in following episodes that she would frown at Worf in-character to the point where Michael Dorn came up to he after three or four tapings and said he'd noticed this happening. And she told him "Well my character hates your's now because you wanted to kill her baby!"

None of it ever made it to a single show, but talk about trying to make depth...lol.

HAHAHAAHAHAHA mmmmmmmmm, Deanna Troi TASTY!!!! and an empath to boot!!!!

To The Dark Tower Came
12-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Oh you have to have seen her then. She's all chaste and proper on the show..when she appeared at the con, she was in a micro-mini dress, and what I think is the term "commando". When asked what she thought of nude pics of her appearing on the internet she said, "I am totally flattered and like that people want to see me naked..."

*ahem* then came the orgastic fanboy applause. :evil:

TerribleT
12-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Oh you have to have seen her then. She's all chaste and proper on the show..when she appeared at the con, she was in a micro-mini dress, and what I think is the term "commando". When asked what she thought of nude pics of her appearing on the internet she said, "I am totally flattered and like that people want to see me naked..."

*ahem* then came the orgastic fanboy applause. :evil:

LMAO, and she is totally HOTTTT

Matt
12-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Never saw those pics, someone needs to track them down and PM this poor old man. :lol:

Telynn
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I know The Next Gen tried to be more realistic with it, but I really liked how Kirk would go on the away missions instead of sending someone else. I mean there might be a woman he hadn't slept with down on the planet!!!

Telynn
12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Here you go TerribleT:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2932/inspingenuitypreviewof3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And we all know this one:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5724/inspexpendabilitypreviezy2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And this is so darn funny because that is EXACTLY what happened in the episode:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7422/inspprimedirectivepreviwz0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TerribleT
12-29-2007, 12:52 PM
:rofl:

Erin
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
My favorite is TNG, by far. I just love love love Data.

Lefty Writer
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
For me, it was a tough choice between the original and TNG. In the end, I voted for TNG just because I enjoyed watching the way Data interacted with the rest of the crew.

Matt
01-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Yep, I just think the whole deal was much better for TNG. The first series was groundbreaking in every way but I felt like it "grew up" in TNG.

ATG
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Data was my favorite ST character ever.

Erin
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I got to meet Brent Spiner this past summer at DragonCon. He was such a nice, genuine guy.

OchrisO
01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
William Shatner does a commercial for a law firm in Kentucky now. It makes me sad.

TNG is my favorite.

You know who is way more awesome now than he was when he was on TNG? Wil Wheaton(http://www.wilwheaton.net/)

His book Dancing Barefoot has a story in it about his first encounter with William Shatner and why he will only ever refer to him as "William Fucking Shatner" now.

He has another book called Just a Geek as well.

OchrisO
01-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh, the Shatner story can be found here, perhaps it will entice you to pick up the book.

Part 1: http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20562/

Part 2: http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20634/

It is hosted on Sucice Girls, but should, most likely, be work safe as long as you don't navigate off of the story pages.

It really is a great story and very well written. I highly suggest reading it if you are a Star Trek fan.

Jonn Wolfe
01-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I picked DS9 since it had the most consistent story line.

However, I'm a TOS junkie.

Anyone seen New Voyages? They're awesome!
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

A few motivators I did.

Star Trek New Voyages.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff91/ionvox/stnv/Spock.jpg

Star Trek Original Series
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff91/ionvox/stnv/motivator8566691.jpg

Enterprise
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff91/ionvox/stnv/motivator8907607.jpg

TerribleT
01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh, the Shatner story can be found here, perhaps it will entice you to pick up the book.

Part 1: http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20562/

Part 2: http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/20634/

It is hosted on Sucice Girls, but should, most likely, be work safe as long as you don't navigate off of the story pages.

It really is a great story and very well written. I highly suggest reading it if you are a Star Trek fan.

mmmmmm suicide girls....I watched a documentary last night about a mission to Mars narrated by old Billy boy, it's one of the few times he didn't irritate me.

Odetta
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
*Streaks naked thru thread*

Trekkies! Trekkies!

HanzouNorak
01-27-2008, 10:07 AM
im really not sure if anyone made this thread already, but i decided, what the hell. i'd put this up in a Sci-Fi forum if there was one, but it fits this catagory aswell. basicly its an open discussion on all of the seires.

ATG
01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
There is a poll somewhere regarding it, but it's all good.

The Next Generation was my fav.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
im really not sure if anyone made this thread already, but i decided, what the hell. i'd put this up in a Sci-Fi forum if there was one, but it fits this catagory aswell. basicly its an open discussion on all of the seires.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1701&highlight=boldly

HanzouNorak
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
eh that was a poll thread, plus the last post is like ten days old, this thread is more to discuss it rather that debate which is better.

Mattrick
01-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm curious on what is so intriguing about Star Treak. The original series is horrible, at least to me. Too cheesy and corny I can't watch it. Next Generation was a quality series and I watched it but wasn't religious about it. I just plain don't understand why they made Deep Space Nine. Voyager was decent, but Janeway is really a robot. Never saw Enterprise and it seems no one else did either.

Star Trek movies 1,000 times better than all the shows. Well, except for The Undiscovered Country.

ATG
01-27-2008, 03:33 PM
The original series felt cutting edge and state of the art in the 70's.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 03:52 PM

More like in the 60's.

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
I love Star "Trek! I have over 150 star trek books, all the movies, some of the series and I'm just obsessed... live long and prosper!

Mattrick
01-28-2008, 01:58 AM

And they've felt anything but ever since.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I dunno I think the original series has never lost its appeal completely. Why else would they be making it into yet another movie after all the other spin offs haven't done half as well - excepting the next generation.

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 03:09 AM
The same reason they made Miami Vice, Starsky and Hutch, brought back American Gladiators. Nostalgic value. I'm not sure if I could watch Star Trek with Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg in it. That just...isn't Star Trek and I didn't even like the original series though I enjoyed a few of the original cast movies.

I really think my enjoyment of Trek was done with Nemesis. I loved Next Generation, can't say I'm a big fan of any of the other series though Voyager was alright. I watched that when I was young.

LadyHitchhiker
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I loved Nemesis...

Philzilla
02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm curious on what is so intriguing about Star Treak. The original series is horrible, at least to me. Too cheesy and corny I can't watch it. Next Generation was a quality series and I watched it but wasn't religious about it. I just plain don't understand why they made Deep Space Nine. Voyager was decent, but Janeway is really a robot. Never saw Enterprise and it seems no one else did either.

Star Trek movies 1,000 times better than all the shows. Well, except for The Undiscovered Country.

Then it seems like you aren't a fan of Star Trek
I mean really, The Undiscovered Country is one of the best of the movies, usually ranked in the top three by Star Trek fans.
And why make DS9?
DS9 is the finest Trek ever created.
Ira Steven Behr
Ronald Moore
Robert Hewitt Wolfe
They took Trek where it had never gone before.
Nothing Trek compares.

Quark: And the worst part is, my only hope for salvation... is the Federation.
Garak: I know precisely how you feel.
Quark: Here, I want you to try something for me. Take a sip of this.
Garak: What is it?
Quark: A human drink. It's called root beer.
Garak: I don't know...
Quark: Go ahead. Aren't you just a little bit curious? (Garak sips it) What do you think?
Garak: It's vile.
Quark: I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy.
Garak: Just like the Federation.
Quark: But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it.
Garak: It's insidious.
Quark: Just like the Federation.
Garak: Do you think they'll be able to save us?
Quark: I hope so.

Just an opinion

ATG
02-02-2008, 11:44 PM
I dunno I think the original series has never lost its appeal completely. Why else would they be making it into yet another movie after all the other spin offs haven't done half as well - excepting the next generation.

I heard that Spock will be in the new movie and Kirk was all disjointed because they didn't want him.

LadyHitchhiker
02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
:( Who doesn't want the pirceline negotiator? He's THE SHAT!

HanzouNorak
02-03-2008, 06:48 PM
TOS wasn't that bad, 20% were retarded peices of shit, 10% was kickass episodes that were very enjoyable. the other 70% just was boring or unremarkable. TNG was a big step, and was a good series. Voyager was alot of fun, and had some really good episodes, probaly one of the most imaginative series. but it usally focused on one character for these good episodes. enterprise..... sucked, with only 1 good episode that wasn't even set in the same universe.

LadyHitchhiker
02-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Star Trek meant hope to me. Yeah it got cheesy sometimes but the message was there, and the guys were hot and the girls were too...

ATG
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Star Trek meant hope to me. Yeah it got cheesy sometimes but the message was there, and the guys were hot and the girls were too...

I agree; the overall message was positive.

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
It's only when Gene Roddenberry passed away that DS9 started turning dark... :(

Sai Joshua
02-04-2008, 03:04 PM
being a sci fi nut, I enjoyed all of the shows, I was too young to catch the original series as it premiered, but it was okay in my book, I agree with whoever said the movies were much better. I was really hooked on TNG, I guess those were my favorite, but I also liked DS9, Voyager(though not as much) and Enterprise( Scott Bakula is the man! I loved Quantam Leap, but that sounds like another thread.) I am not crazy about a new movie coming out trying to remake the original, but I will probably see it anyway.

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I loved Quantum Leap!

And I will see the new movie if there's any chance of seeing any of the original cast...

Wouldn't it be great if Nichelle made it to the movie!

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 06:26 PM

I thought Roddenberry died during TNG?

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Curious, I haven't watched an episode of Star Trek since DS9, what sucked so badly about Enterprise? Or was it everything?

HanzouNorak
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
enterprise had the wrong look for the 22nd centruy, and had the worlds largest amount of inconsistances.

i really dont want to see the new movie, but im probaly going to eventualy. but i have a very dark outlook on it.

jayson
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Curious, I haven't watched an episode of Star Trek since DS9, what sucked so badly about Enterprise? Or was it everything?

i only saw the pilot, but it looked a little too stylized. i'm also not scott bakkula's biggest fan. someone who watched more of it i'm sure had more to add. i really only liked original and Next Gen.

btw, has anyone seen the documentary "trekkers" about the most obsessed fans? it is hilarity in its purest form, particularly the dentist with the trek-themed office. i HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone looking for a good laugh at something unscripted.

ZoNeSeeK
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I'll merge this with the other thread and change the title as you could still end up with two conversations going on.

LadyHitchhiker
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I voted tos first then tng...

cozener
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I liked them all but I liked Enterprise the least. Had a hard time getting into it. Voyager gets 2nd to last. Between TOS, TNG, and DS9...I have a hard time making a choice. I suppose I'll always love TOS because it was the first. I grew up in the 70s and I was raised on it and I loved most of the movies. It did take me longer to warm up to TNG...first season was absolutely horrendous but it got better and better as it went along and ended up being absolutely great and First Contact may be the best of all of the Trek movies...not by much though. Wrath of Kahn, Search for Spock, and Undiscovered Country where outstanding too.

I suppose if I had to come from it through a completely technical standpoint with no sentimentality attached I'd have to go with DS9...quality of acting, story lines, the characters...I thought it was the richest of all of them all. It started strong and ended even stronger. Unlike any of the other series not one character in DS9 annoyed me. I loved the space station aspect of it as opposed to traveling through space. My enjoyment of the series increased exponentially when the Dominion story line started.

btw, has anyone seen the documentary "trekkers" about the most obsessed fans? it is hilarity in its purest form, particularly the dentist with the trek-themed office. i HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone looking for a good laugh at something unscripted. I don't think anything beats the fat transvestite singing that Klingon song...I almost fucking died. Dude started to gear up for the song and I'm actually saying aloud, "No...oh fucking god no, don't, please!"

LadyHitchhiker
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
DS9 was my least favorite...
Enterprise had TOO many time travel things going on...
Voyager I'm just now finally being able to get into becuase I now have a station that plays it...
TOS amazing
TNG amazing...

jayson
02-08-2008, 05:09 AM
btw, has anyone seen the documentary "trekkers" about the most obsessed fans? it is hilarity in its purest form, particularly the dentist with the trek-themed office. i HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone looking for a good laugh at something unscripted. I don't think anything beats the fat transvestite singing that Klingon song...I almost fucking died. Dude started to gear up for the song and I'm actually saying aloud, "No...oh fucking god no, don't, please!"

Definitely another classic of that film. It's one of those that proves documentaries can be MUCH funnier than scripted comedy.

ATG
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
My favorite Star Trek moment;

http://i26.tinypic.com/122yq09.gif

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM

I thought Roddenberry died during TNG?

*laughs hystericaly*

Oh I totally typed the wrong thing there. You are TOTALLY right...

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I really liked Enterprise but I thought there was far too much timetravelling going on...

But they had some mirror universe episodes which were AMAZING...

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Did anyone read the Wil Wheaton story I posted? It is awesome.

Bev Vincent
02-14-2008, 03:30 AM
The revamped Enterprise won't be coming in for a landing on Christmas.

Paramount has pushed the release of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek from Dec. 25 to May 8, 2009, part of a larger scheduling shift now that the writers' strike is over and producers can look realistically at their films' ETAs.

Abrams' much-anticipated addition to the franchise, which will take fans back to Kirk and Spock's formative years, is now due out on the Thursday before Mother's Day.

To date, no other film jockeying for the same audience is slated to be released at the same time. The only possible eyeball-stealers at the moment are 20th Century Fox's X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which is due in theaters May 1, 2009, and Sony's Da Vinci Code prequel Angels and Demons.

So, apparently, while moviegoers couldn't turn around in summer 2007 without smacking into a threequel, the summer of 2009 is shaping up to be the season of the prequel.

And there are plenty of Trekkers out there who aren't thrilled that their Christmas Day plans have been turned asunder, although plenty actually like that Paramount seems confident enough in the product to make it a warm-weather movie.

"I'm psyched that this gives them more time to do their stuff to make as good a film as possible, but also, I can't help thinking 'Damn it' because I'm already dying to see this movie as it is," wrote Kamen Rider Blade on a trekweb.com message board.

The Star Trek teaser trailer, which premiered last month before Cloverfield and features Leonard Nimoy's familiar voice intoning over images of the under-construction Enterprise, stoked fan interest.

"It means Paramount has great faith in the film," added timmer33. "They're seeing the dailies and know it has the potential to be huge. May is the time for BIG releases."

The prequel's cast is certainly big, rich with both newcomers and familiar Vulcan faces.

Among those venturing to the final frontier are Winona Ryder, playing Mr. Spock's Vulcan mother (a twist on the original); Zachary Quinto, playing young Spock (Nimoy will also appear as the older version); Chris Pine as Kirk; Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy; Simon Pegg as Scotty; John Cho as Sulu; Zoe Saldana as Uhura; Anton Yelchin as Chekov; and Eric Bana, playing the villainous Nero.

Brice
02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Did anyone read the Wil Wheaton story I posted? It is awesome.

I'm not really a big Star Trek fan (although I liked the original series when I was young), but I did read it and it was a pretty cool little story. Pretty awesome really.

HanzouNorak
02-14-2008, 02:40 PM
But they had some mirror universe episodes which were AMAZING...

yes ENTs mirrior universe episodes KICKED ASS! it was so much fun watching the CGIs of ENT(which i hated to the fullest extent) get pulverized by a Constitution Class (the USS Defiant)

Jon
02-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Have you ever noticed that every freakin' time the camera shows a shot of a window on the ship you can always see the stars and such.

You'd think that once, just by chance, the camera would catch them traveling during the day!!!

jayson
02-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Have you ever noticed that every freakin' time the camera shows a shot of a window on the ship you can always see the stars and such.

You'd think that once, just by chance, the camera would catch them traveling during the day!!!

:lol: there's never any traffic out there either!

LadyHitchhiker
02-16-2008, 05:54 AM
The new movie's release date has been pushed back to 2009... :(

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
*sniffles*

LadyHitchhiker
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
But I hear that the Shat might be in it now! :excited:

Jon
02-20-2008, 05:48 AM
But I hear that the Shat might be in it now! :excited:

I wonder if he likes that nickname??

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
We can make it into a theme song...

Shat
Shat!

Who's the interstellar captain
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Shat!)
You're damn right

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his Vulcan man?
(Shat!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't wook out
When there's danger all about
(Shat!)
Right on

You see this cat Shat is a bad mother--
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Shat
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
(The Shat)

Matt
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
We can make it into a theme song...

Shat
Shat!

Who's the interstellar captain
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Shat!)
You're damn right

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his Vulcan man?
(Shat!)
Can ya dig it?

Who's the cat that won't wook out
When there's danger all about
(Shat!)
Right on

You see this cat Shat is a bad mother--
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' about Shat
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
(The Shat)

:rofl:

That was great!

Jon
02-23-2008, 01:15 AM
He's a bad motha' (Hush yo' mouth!)

LadyHitchhiker
02-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I should make a screenplay with The Shat being The Shat in a kind of Shaft-spoof thing... :wub:

TerribleT
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Isn't that what you do in the bathroom?

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 01:14 PM
So, I've heard from one folk about why they didn't like Enterprise..anyone else? Terrible? Bueller?....Bueller...?

TerribleT
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I haven't watched any new Star Trek since Voyager. I didn't really care for it, it was way too politically correct for my taste, and I just got turned off about Star Trek altogether.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Hell I haven't watched ST semi-regularly since TNG went off the air. I saw two or three episodes of Voyager and it seemed like each time it had to do with some damn organ stealing aliens..yeah...bad.

TerribleT
02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I liked DS9 a lot, and watched it regularly, but when it ended I pretty much stopped watching any of it except for re-runs of TNG, and DS9. Funny thing...when I began watching TNG, I hated it, and quit watching it, then had to go back and watch all the previous episodes once I did get into it.

Woofer
02-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Enterprise has a dog. In space. And he's named after one of the Three Musketeers (By the way, why don't we see them use their muskets very often? They're always swordfighting.) - Porthos. It's cool that he's a beagle, like Snoopy, but his role is too small. He should be running in and attacking aliens that can't be detected by human means or something.

It's not my favorite Trek, but I can watch it and enjoy it.

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
That sounds interesting...first dog in Star Trek I've ever heard of. What is the time-line of Enterprise anyway? Its before the original series right?

jayson
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
That sounds interesting...first dog in Star Trek I've ever heard of. What is the time-line of Enterprise anyway? Its before the original series right?

yes enterprise is pre-original Trek

HanzouNorak
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Hell I haven't watched ST semi-regularly since TNG went off the air. I saw two or three episodes of Voyager and it seemed like each time it had to do with some damn organ stealing aliens..yeah...bad.

you must have really weird Ka, there were only like....... four episodes to do with the Vidians.
voyager had some really good episodes........ and some really bad ones. if you ever catch one called "The Year Of Hell' watch it, its their best episode in my opinion, but it can kinda get confusing if you dont pay attention.

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
you must have really weird Ka.

Aint that the troot

Jon
03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I like the Enterprise opening song before they remixed it!

Míchéal
03-06-2008, 05:23 AM
next generation...the rest just bore me.

LadyHitchhiker
03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
None of the really truly bore me but DS9 became tedious to me at bits... but then again I haven't watched all the episodes of that particular series so I can't pass too much judgement on it.

jemaher
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I grew up on the original, but the tng was the best. better cast, better stories, better acting.

jemaher
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Im a little bummed that they did not work a cameo for the Shat into the upcoming star trek movie.

wildfire1290
05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm in love with the origional ones as well as TNG. I tried whatching Enterprise (one episode) and i ended up turning it off after like 10 minuets. It seemed like they tried to hard to "hip up" the show. Kinda seemed like they tried being cool and then failed horribly.
Although I do have a question about the 8th movie (First Contact) and I'm not sure when that movie corresponds with the series and such. Like, if I were to finish a season on TNG, when would I whatch the movie?
By the way, I'm so sorry if that made no sense at all.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
You would watch First contact after the last episode of tng.. it takes place a few years later, and there are books to fill in the gaps (a time to love, a time to hate, etc., - there's like 9 of them) but I don't think you need to read the books to make sense of it.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:56 AM
And actually back to the Enterprise thing, I just didnt' like how much time travel there was. I wanted them to seek out new civilizations not just keep skipping through time!!!!

razz
05-31-2008, 09:57 AM
i once sat outside for the grand opening to a Super-Walmart for half an hour, so i could "Boldly go where no man has gone before"

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:01 AM
:lol:

So I can't wait for this new movie and then they set back the date on me. It was suposed to be released x-mas day and now I don't know when... :(

wildfire1290
05-31-2008, 05:14 PM
When can I watch generations? does that take place after a certain point in the TNG series?

razz
05-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Star Trek news: Star trek TNG will now air monday nights starting at seven on scifi. how strange that i learn this on the day i first find this thread.

Woofer
06-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Info on the new movie at IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/). Release date is noted as May 2009.

CPU
06-07-2008, 08:10 AM
LOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWEM4gZhg4

LadyHitchhiker
06-08-2008, 06:14 AM
May 2009?!?!?? I have to wait THAT long?!?!?

HanzouNorak
06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
eh, im not so sure i want to see a reimagined enterprise, new cast playing the old crew, and new TOS era ships.

LadyHitchhiker
10-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure how much I will like it but I must watch it.

Geomon
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Seeing the newly released photos of the new movie, I have to say pass. It looks like a more polished SciFi Channel movie of the week.

KaLikeAWheel
10-20-2008, 01:40 AM
I met my husband because of a "Classic vs. Next Gen." argument I was having with someone else. I was of the oppinion that Next Gen was best, the random guy I was talking to was a Classic trekkie. I asked the man who ended up being my husband what he thought. He didn't agree with me. Turns out not much has changed over the years. :lol:

I chose Next Gen in the poll because I was right then and I'm still right, dammit!! :evil:

Donna

Merlin1958
03-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Try this trailer on for size:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40331

Woofer
03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
:cry:

KaLikeAWheel
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM

ohholycrap! The special effects look amazing! :drool:Let's hope the story is as good.

Donna

Merlin1958
03-06-2009, 05:38 PM

ohholycrap! The special effects look amazing! :drool:Let's hope the story is as good.

Donna

Yeah!! The trailer kinda jazzed me up as well!!! Looks really cool. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but J.J. usually delivers the goods!!

Jon
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I always see a starfield outside of the ship. Don't these fuckers ever fly during the day???:wtf:

LadyHitchhiker
03-16-2009, 04:20 AM
You would think it would be a little brighter occasionally, since they're near planets.

Jon
03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
You would think it would be a little brighter occasionally, since they're near planets.

moons and suns too.

mystima
03-25-2009, 02:01 AM
i voted fore the original series. now days the captain doesn't go on away missions unless it is a diplomatic reason...but i have to say that growing up i had a crush on Picard...lol
everyone thought i would be gaga over Wesley Crusher

LadyHitchhiker
03-25-2009, 04:17 AM

moons and suns too.

Good point!!!!

KaLikeAWheel
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
everyone thought i would be gaga over Wesley Crusher

Ick....just...ICK! Wesley was annoying!! I totally agree with you on the Picard thing! Yummmmm

Donna

LadyHitchhiker
04-08-2009, 06:45 AM
They're all yummy..

except Wesley.

And I never thought so with Sulu.

But everyone else, yes.

LadyHitchhiker
04-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I had a GREAT idea for a youtube video but have no way of knowing how to do it. I laughed out loud when this idea came to my mind, specifically the "remember" part.
Take the song "Baby Remember my name" from the movie, "Fame" and make it into a Star Trek video, primarily featuring, who else but SPOCK:

Baby look at me (pictures of Spock)
And tell me what you see
You ain't seen the best of me yet
Give me time I'll make you forget the rest (mind meld picture)

I got more in me (More spock pictures)
And you can set it free
I can catch the moon in my hands (pictures of moons, planets)
Don't you know who I am (Spock's picture)

Remember my name (spock's name up in shiny lights)
Fame

I'm gonna live forever (show bits of him coming back to life from star trek movie)
I'm gonna learn how to fly (show the enterprise)
High

I feel it coming together (Kirk and Spock meeting for the first time)
People will see me and cry (pictures at Spock's funeral, Kirk's lip quivering)
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven (pictures from the God movie, space)
Light up the sky like a flame (altercation with the klingon ship)
Fame

I'm gonna live forever (Spock coming back to life from the Genesis planet)
Baby remember my name

(During this part, we use the bit where Spock is briefly melding with McCoy, saying "remember" and loop it)

Remember
Remember
Remember
Remember
Remember
Remember
Remember
Remember

Baby hold me tight (pic of he and the Romulan lady embracing, montages of him and his other ladies, pics of him, pics of the other lovely ladies in Star Trek i.e. Uhura, Nurse Chapel, etc.,.)
Cause you can make it right
You can shoot me straight to the top (picture of his casket being shot to the genesis planet)
Give me love and take all I've got to give (spock kissing Uhura)

Baby I'll be tough (Spock fighting Kirk)
Too much is not enough
I can ride your heart til it breaks (Leilani talking to Spock and crying)
Ooh I got what it takes

Fame
I'm gonna live forever (Spock coming out from the temple, after having his katra reunited with him)
I'm gonna learn how to fly (picture of the Enterprise flying by)
High

I feel it coming together (picture of the Genesis plant shiny and bright maybe? or a group shot of the crew)
People will see me and cry (show Spock crying from the original series)
Fame

I'm gonna make it to heaven (show bits of space or God or both)
Light up the sky like a flame (Enterprise exploding)
Fame

I'm gonna live forever (Spock's casket being shot to the Genesis planet)
Baby remember my name (pics of Spock, his name up in shiny lights)
Fame

Well hope you guys enjoy the creativity and silliness of the idea.

Daffy
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I voted for Voyager :borg: because it was my fav series and boldly went where no man had gone before......I never really liked TOS cause it was sooo cheesy but I did love the movies.

I did like TNG although the first couple of seasons were kinda lame, and out of all the movies (TOS included), I liked Insurection the best.

I can't wait for the new movie because the trailers look fantastic and Syler from Heores playing Spock seems to be a perfect fit for that character.

Matt
04-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm real excited for the new movie as well. Not only do we get some early history of the characters and the federation, but it looks like it kicks ass too. :rock:

cozener
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
definitely looks like a kick ass flick. I'm stoked. But I need to be careful that I'm not setting the bar too high.

What I'm really hoping for here is that the movie is a smash hit and it inspires a couple of new PC games. I used to love playing Starfleet Command. I'd just about cream my pants if they made an updated version of that game.

Daffy
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I am totally stocked too,but like you I am not setting the bar too high because of Enterprise, I swear that show puts me to sleep faster than any bud could lol

LadyHitchhiker
04-27-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.rooar.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/insp_undiscovered.jpg
My current wallpaper for my computer. Isn't it awesome? :nana: I love Star Trek inspirational posters...

http://sites.google.com/site/lyranace/_/rsrc/1224633748595/Home/Enterprise.jpg
Although this was a close runner up.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Mz_NKmmbx6c/Ria9lw12EXI/AAAAAAAAAsI/awL1ajJlG3M/s400/insp_khan.jpg
Or this one... :wub:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/SeFpLqKvd7I/AAAAAAAAToA/ZfABjRe9Z6Y/s400/tiberius.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4OYGjUrdllo/SeFpLm8HzdI/AAAAAAAATn4/1NFwCUXmtnQ/s1600-h/redshirt.jpg
Check out these awesome scents!

Sorry but I'm superexcited after reading Star Trek countdown the prequel to the new movie. I still have some reservations but I am quickly gaining excitement!!!!!! May Star Trek never die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
I just voted on this. Original Star Trek. It's near and dear to my heart.

Munchausen
04-29-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm an old fogie so I voted for TOS. The best Trek presentation by far is Wrath of Khan. As for the new movie, I'm hopeful but since it's supposed to be a bit of a reboot I don't know what JJ's keeping, ignoring or throwing out altogether.

LadyHitchhiker
05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
All we can hope is that it keeps Star Trek alive.

Star Trek should live long and prosper...

Too bad I don't have a star trek smilie. It would go right here: :huglove:

candy
05-11-2009, 11:29 AM
loved the film and the geek in me loved the references to the old one liners
i am an original trekie, but go more into NG,:borg: probabley because of having my own tv and being able to make my own choices. i loved voyager too but it was little bit cheesey. but voted for NG - data, you gotta love that guy.

for some reason i could never get into ds9, not sure why just could never get into it.

i love all the star trek films though, some more than others, but they were all good
:borg:

DoctorDodge
05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Loved the movie. Might get the remastered series of the original on dvd, especially since the new effects are OPTIONAL, always a good thing to do! Or might wait until i get blu-ray before i get the original series. Decisions, decisions! :orely:

Although i have to admit i do prefer TNG. Mainly because Jean-Luc Picard was too awesome! And i have a lot of fond memories watching episodes of TNG when i was little. That and playing A Final Unity. Does anyone remember that game? That game was absolutley bloody brilliant!

sarajean
05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
scary! (http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30138525.3)

even scarier! (http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30138555.3)

candy
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
lol. loving it
soooo cheesy :wtf:

Bev Vincent
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
George Lucas's reaction to Star Trek's success (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/05/george-lucas-not-happy-about-the-star-trek-box-office-success.html)

sarajean
05-12-2009, 10:51 AM
George Lucas's reaction to Star Trek's success (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/05/george-lucas-not-happy-about-the-star-trek-box-office-success.html)

"boo-yah!"

Daffy
05-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Haha! Thats too funny

Matt
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I can't figure out how to read the f'ing thing. All blank space and links. :(

Can someone copy/paste it here?

sarajean
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
it's a video, matt.

obscurejude
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
This is from youtube. Can you see this Matt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZnq_3P_dc

obscurejude
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
That's what the site had embedded.

Matt
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Woot! Thanks you guys, work blocks the video. So that must be it.

I'll watch at home.

LadyHitchhiker
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I loooooooooooved the new movie. That's all I have to say right here.. you're going to have to see my full reaction in the star trek 2009 thread.

Unfound One
05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I've just started my Star Trek voyage...

Netflix has the whole first season up for instant viewing, so that's what I've been doing the past couple days. :D

I'm loving it so far!
Spock is such a badass - I love his "amused" look, if you know what I mean.
This is some good shit. :thumbsup:

turtlex
05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
scary! (http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30138525.3)

even scarier! (http://www.trekyourself.com/?mId=30138555.3)

I love these.

turtlex
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Okay, this is super cool.

Patrick Stewart is to be Knighted !!

Via CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/30/patrick.stewart.knighthood/index.html)

Make It So !!
Picard Is My Captain !!!!

candy
01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Thats Sir Picard to you lady:P

DoctorDodge
01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
And the current score of the ongoing battle over who is more awesome is as follows:

(Soon to be Sir) Patrick Stewart: 6,463,102
William Shatner: 5

Now that Stewart's going to be knighted, that basically means he's allowed one extra point of awesomeness every time he's called "sir". Nice! :thumbsup:

ola
01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Okay, this is super cool.

Patrick Stewart is to be Knighted !!

Via CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/30/patrick.stewart.knighthood/index.html)

Make It So !!
Picard Is My Captain !!!!

This also made me really happy. :D

John_and_Yoko
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
I can't vote because I've only seen the original series, but I recently received gifts of the entire series of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and plan on watching those sometime this year.

I suppose what there ought to be is a quiz of "What kind of Star Trek fan are you?" asking questions of what you're interested in and what you're looking for in a TV show and etc. to see which of the series you might like best. Such would certainly be helpful for someone new to the ginormous franchise.... :unsure:

Brainslinger
01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Of the series I think I prefer Enterprise (not sure why so many dislike it!) but I like the films with the original crew. (Not that I dislike the ones with the Next Gen crew! First Contact in particular was rather good.)

Oh, and I recently saw the new Star Trek film. I never saw it at the cinema so decided to take a change and got the DVD. I'm glad I did, it's very good!

Jon
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Is this one of those new reality shows???:wtf:

turtlex
04-09-2010, 05:48 PM
'Trek' fans, want Picard's chair? It's for sale

By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Writer

LAS VEGAS – "Star Trek" lovers looking for Enterprise chairs, Starfleet uniforms or a model Klingon Bird of Prey can seek out new life for the dismantled pieces of a closed Las Vegas attraction based on the famous franchise.

Auctioneer Propworx Inc. plans to sell roughly 1,000 items large and small from Star Trek: The Experience at a warehouse sale Saturday in Las Vegas, CEO Alec Peters said.

The attraction, based on the beloved television series and movies, closed in 2008 after a 10-year run.

"Anything like this, you're sad to see it go, but on the other hand it's an opportunity for fans to preserve the stuff," Peters said. "It's an opportunity for the studio to get it in the hands of people who made it great.

"I think it is bittersweet — we try to make it fun," Peters said.

Among the items for sale are three large models of spaceships in need of repair or restoration — the U.S.S. Enterprise A, the U.S.S. Voyager and the Bird of Prey — as well as a replica of the Enterprise bridge from "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

Peters said a Borg alcove — where members of the synthetically enhanced drone race recharge and synch with a hive mind — is on sale for $800.

Also on sale are costumes and knickknacks, starting at $10, Peters said.

The attraction folded in "Star Trek" mythology, billing itself as a "21st-century time station" used to transport personnel and equipment to and from the late 24th century. The story was that the Experience let folks of the future meet and study many human cultures in a single place where they often converge — Sin City.

The attraction included two rides where visitors were transported to the U.S.S. Enterprise, rode in a shuttle or faced a Borg encounter.

Mike Cornwell, the executive officer of a local Star Trek fan club that helped set up the memorabilia sale, said Friday that members of the club have been sad about the immersive experience going away.

"We see it as such a waste that they closed it down," Cornwell said. "It's really a blow to all Star Trek fans everywhere."

Cornwell, 47, said he hopes to buy a certain piece of the exhibit's History of the Future, which chronicled the history of the Star Trek universe.

CBS Television Distribution, which owns the rights to the franchise, has a licensing deal in place for a Star Trek exhibit in downtown Las Vegas through its consumer products division. No timeline for that attraction has been announced.

CBS Consumer has a deal with Kennedy Space Center on a live 30-minute live stage show based on the universe from the 2009 "Star Trek" movie. The show is to debut in June.

Woofer
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Another something I never even got to do/see/experience. :angry:

Woofer
04-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Of the series I think I prefer Enterprise (not sure why so many dislike it!) but I like the films with the original crew. (Not that I dislike the ones with the Next Gen crew! First Contact in particular was rather good.)

Oh, and I recently saw the new Star Trek film. I never saw it at the cinema so decided to take a change and got the DVD. I'm glad I did, it's very good!

It's because the music for Enterprise sucks.

Jon
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Just bought the entire Voyager series!!!

candy
04-09-2010, 10:43 PM
oh nice one jon, liked voyager - i like that it had an end if that makes sense?

turtlex
04-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I liked Voyager ... but it's not my favorite ... Honestly, was there a single episode where Janeway DIDN'T break the Prime Directive?!?

Of course, I think this is my favorite Voyager scene, ever ...

YouTube- The Doctor and Seven of Nine - You are my sunshine

I love Seven. :wub:

candy
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
i loved seven too, and Nelix and the dr ....., oh who am i kidding i loved them all

Although voyager wasn't my favourite, i did like the end. And i loved janeway and the fact she didn't give two hoots.

My favourite was TNG - Data was de man:wtf:

turtlex
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
:couple: TNG was my favorite, too, candy. Picard is my Captain.

I just hated how the Prime Directive didn't seem to apply on Voyager. It was all about "who gives a crap, we wanna go home" !!! :lol:

The stories were good, though, I certainly didn't hate it. I liked Janeway.

I've seen Kate Mulgrew at several cons and she's pretty cool in person ( kind of conservative but a good speaker ).

Woofer
04-10-2010, 09:43 AM
ETA: It's hard for me to choose a favorite because each has its own appeal. BUT. Picard was the best captain by far.

For Pam: <3

DoctorDodge
04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I loved watching TNG when I was little. Still do love watching it, if I catch it. Patrick Stewart ruled as Picard!

And A Final Unity has to be the best game based on a television series ever. Mainly because it was so much like an episode of the show...but epic. Love playing it on DosBox to this day, really.

Spencer
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
It's because the music for Enterprise sucks.

Yep, they should have used their Mirror Universe theme for the opening:

YouTube- Star Trek Enterprise - Original Intro + Mirror Darkly music

Spencer
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Favorite character ever:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3kbDb4568EE/RkO_ZfYJyxI/AAAAAAAAA-M/cQvIdfkRLYw/s320/trek+spock+goatee.jpg

Spencer
04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
and, possibly the best DVD set ever:
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/912/912700/star-trek-alternate-realities-fan-collective-20080923021323325-000.jpg

turtlex
04-12-2010, 02:23 AM
and, possibly the best DVD set ever:
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/912/912700/star-trek-alternate-realities-fan-collective-20080923021323325-000.jpg

Wow. Does this cover only TOS? Or all the different alternate reality epi's from all the series?

( DS9 had some hum-dingers! )

Spencer
04-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Disc 1: Mirror universe
TOS: "Mirror, Mirror"
DS9: "Crossover"
DS9: "Through the Looking Glass"
DS9: "Shattered Mirror"

DIsc 2: Mirror universe
ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"
ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II"
Parallel Dimensions:
TOS: "The Alternative Factor"
TNG: "Parallels"

Disc 3: Twisted Realities
TOS: "The Enemy Within"
TOS: "Turnabout Intruder"
TNG: "Frame of Mind"
VOY: "Shattered"

Disc 4: Alternate Lives
TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise"
TNG: "The Inner Light"
DS9: "The Visitor"
VOY: "Before and After"

Disc 5: Alternate Lives
VOY: "Timeless"
VOY: "Course: Oblivion"
ENT: "E²"
ENT: "Twilight"

LadyHitchhiker
04-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I think they could do a whole tv series with the mirror mirror universe!!!

turtlex
04-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Disc 1: Mirror universe
TOS: "Mirror, Mirror"
DS9: "Crossover"
DS9: "Through the Looking Glass"
DS9: "Shattered Mirror"

DIsc 2: Mirror universe
ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"
ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II"
Parallel Dimensions:
TOS: "The Alternative Factor"
TNG: "Parallels"

Disc 3: Twisted Realities
TOS: "The Enemy Within"
TOS: "Turnabout Intruder"
TNG: "Frame of Mind"
VOY: "Shattered"

Disc 4: Alternate Lives
TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise"
TNG: "The Inner Light"
DS9: "The Visitor"
VOY: "Before and After"

Disc 5: Alternate Lives
VOY: "Timeless"
VOY: "Course: Oblivion"
ENT: "E²"
ENT: "Twilight"

Oh, that's flippin awesome! I've gotta add this set to my Wish List. Crossover from DS9 is one of my favorites and Yesterday's Enterprise is probably my all time favorite TNG epi !

Many thanks!! :grouphug:

cozener
04-12-2010, 05:13 AM
I gotta buy me one of those.

And I've always thought the Imperial universe was cool as all get out.

Spencer
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I just finished watching the set. Amazing, and the remastered Original Series stuff is awesome.

Woofer
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
I just borrowed Mind Meld: Secrets Behind the Voyage of a Lifetime (2001) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296753/) from a coworker. Of course it is a LOST night, so I'll be watching it tomorrow.

candy
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
oo that looks good woofer, let me know what it like:huglove:

Woofer
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
candy, I will do that. I'm looking forward to it. The Shat. *snicker*

turtlex
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
O Captain My Captain !

Go boldly to the palace — and arise, Sir Patrick

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100602/capt.571bcaf2edb64080a9e05660af739c11-571bcaf2edb64080a9e05660af739c11-0.jpg?x=213&y=283&xc=1&yc=1&wc=308&hc=409&q=85&sig=kjSTUN6BJmRi3ww5z9bVuA--

LONDON – Patrick Stewart has been upgraded from captain — to knight.

The actor — famous for playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" — officially became Sir Patrick Stewart when he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.

While "Star Trek" introduced him to a different group of fans, Stewart is also a widely respected stage actor.

The 69-year-old actor discovered the theater as a child, and said "my heroes were Sir Laurence Olivier, Sir John Gielgud, Sir Alec Guinness." Being "in that company is the grandest thing that has professionally happened to me."

Stewart joined Britain's storied Royal Shakespeare Company in his 20s, and in 2008 was nominated for a Tony award for the leading role in "Macbeth."

turtlex
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
O Captain My Captain ! - turtlex

Go boldly to the palace — and arise, Sir Patrick

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/britain%20royal%20investiture%20-1923877541.grid-4x2.jpg

LONDON – Patrick Stewart has been upgraded from captain — to knight.

The actor — famous for playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" — officially became Sir Patrick Stewart when he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.

While "Star Trek" introduced him to a different group of fans, Stewart is also a widely respected stage actor.

The 69-year-old actor discovered the theater as a child, and said "my heroes were Sir Laurence Olivier, Sir John Gielgud, Sir Alec Guinness." Being "in that company is the grandest thing that has professionally happened to me."

Stewart joined Britain's storied Royal Shakespeare Company in his 20s, and in 2008 was nominated for a Tony award for the leading role in "Macbeth."

DoctorDodge
06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I think I speak for many a fan here, not just of Star Trek, but of Patrick Stewart and his awesomeness in general, when I say...

'Bout fucking time!!!! :rock:

candy
06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
:thumbsup:yeah - good for sir patrick

turtlex
06-06-2010, 04:27 AM
FYI : Quinto is to star in Angels In America ... Info In The Big Gay News Day Thread - Click Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4790&page=70)

SynysterSaint
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I've seen every episode of Voyager at least five times, and I've memorized more than a few :lol: It is, by far, my favorite Star Trek series.

Jon
06-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Aye yup. But TNG is great as is DS9.

But What is holding the producers from making a new ST???

DoctorDodge
06-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Aye yup. But TNG is great as is DS9.

But What is holding the producers from making a new ST???

How popular Enterprise was? Or the fact that the film pretty much reset everything for the franchise?

I didn't mind the film, but I'm always going to prefer TNG over...well, every other ST series, tbh. You had Sir Patrick Stewart, an android that wanted to be human, and a beard. What could be better?

candy
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
this amused me;
http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt234/manxgirl_2009/starrek.jpg

Brice
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Woofer
06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
I love that!!!

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/129129821891635054.jpg

turtlex
08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Flipping, I love Star Trek:TNG !!!

Watching The Best Of Both Worlds ( part 2 ) right now on BBC America. This is one of my favorite all time episodes. This show, really, was terrific.

LadyHitchhiker
03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
We need to revive this thread.... I have so much good stuff to share!

blavigne
03-23-2011, 02:14 PM
We need to revive this thread.... I have so much good stuff to share!

Yes, revive this thread! Share please, I want to know everything and anything!! I am a big time trekkie for many years and I love them all but especially the original and TNG. My Captain Picard doll sits on my shelf in the living room with my most prized possessions! :)

mystima
05-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I posted this also in the BS News thread if ya haven't seen it there thought you would all get a kick out of it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110512/us_yblog_thelookout/german-tv-news-host-confuses-star-trek-logo-for-navy-seal-emblem

velcro_fly
05-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Thats Awesome:lol:

Here is a must have for any Star Trek fan
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/bd88/

LadyHitchhiker
05-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Star Trek quotes from me:

"I relate to Kirk in that I am extremely faithful and loyal to my friends, and when I love - even if it's a short love - I love completely. But then, I'm kinda like McCoy in that I don't always find what's best for me, but I keep trying anyways, and I try to keep my sense of humor as my shield and my release."

And "Love is like the Kobayashi Maru. It doesn't mean you'll win, but you're always a better person for having tried."

LadyHitchhiker
06-14-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ

Wooooooooooooooooooooooot! Leonard Nimoy!!!!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
06-14-2011, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBlZzuadLQ

Two of the funniest and greatest songs by William Shatner (besides Rocket Man)

Odetta
06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ

Wooooooooooooooooooooooot! Leonard Nimoy!!!!!!!

I hadn't seen this before but it's hilarious! I love when he gives the car the finger, and when he steps towards the kid at the grocery store!

LadyHitchhiker
06-15-2011, 02:56 AM
I love when he's standing in front of the mirror, using his Vulcan salute as guns, and when he sits to watch tv and nothing is on but William Shatner!

mae
09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Absolutely breathtaking news:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/

Lots of interesting details there! Including this awesome teaser:

http://youtu.be/av35kFHdS50?hd=1

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-The-Next-Level/15997

You've heard the rumors, and now StarTrek.com can officially confirm it: Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.

"Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of Star Trek: The Next Generation," Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Entertainment, said in a statement. "Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can't wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases."

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.

As for that sampler, it will be called Star Trek: The Next Generation -- The Next Level. CBS Home Entertainment has set a January 31, 2012, release date for the single disc, which will include the feature-length version of the series pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint," as well the fan-favorite episodes "Sins of the Father" and "The Inner Light," the former from season three and the latter from season five. The Next Level will sell for the suggested retail price of $21.99.

ELazansky
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
That's totally awesome! Man, has it really been 25 years since the series first came on the air. Things like this make me feel really old...

mae
09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Indeed. On the plus side, looks like it will look great, cause the DVDs are atrocious:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l245/squiggyfm/96fcf228.png

DoctorDodge
09-29-2011, 01:31 AM
That is something that put me off getting the dvds, tbh: just how grainy the quality seemed to be. But if it's as good as that Enterprise appears to be, I'm definitely saving up for those blu ray sets!

ICry4Oy
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
MAKE IT SO!!!

Wow, 25yrs, really? :( I can remember arguing with people about whether or not they should start a new Trek series just like it was yesterday.

I have to wonder if they're gonna digitally remove Wesley Crusher!!!??? Okay, hope not wonder...

Ben Staad
09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
That's great news maybe now have the incentive to get an HD tv and a blue ray player... :thumbsup:

Yaksha
10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
That is freaking great. TNG is my second favorite Star Trek series. Now if only we could get a Deep Space Nine HD collection my life would be complete

mae
10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I bet DS9 will be up after TNG. And then also Voyager.

ICry4Oy
12-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Speaking of TNG, Sir Patrick Stewart will be at the Dallas Comic Con this coming May!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My inner geek is spazing out!

http://www.scifiexpo.com/DCC/Home.html

mae
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/30/star-trek-tng-blu-ray-season-1/

When Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted on Sept. 28, 1987, it was one of the most ambitious first episodes of television ever produced. No matter how popular the feature films had been with the original cast, bringing Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic sci-fi vision of our future back to TV with an all-new cast and U.S.S. Enterprise was far from a slam dunk. And then there was the scale of the two-hour pilot, “Encounter at Farpoint,” with roughly 200 feature-film-level visual effects.

That ambition, however, was worth it. ST:TNG debuted to nearly 27 million viewers, and the show ran for a robust 178 episodes over seven seasons. And now, to celebrate its 25th anniversary, the series is being remastered for a high-definition re-release on Blu-ray that is, fittingly, just about as ambitious an undertaking as that fateful debut episode.

EW can now reveal exclusively that the full first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation will be available on Blu-ray on July 24. (Three episodes from the series were released on a special preview Blu-ray edition last January.) It is the culmination of over a year’s worth of painstaking work. While the show was shot on 35mm motion picture film, an inherently high-definition format, it was scanned into standard-definition video before any editing or visual effects work was completed.

“This was bleeding-edge back in the day,” says Michael Okuda, a scenic designer and technical advisor on ST:TNG who is overseeing the high-def transfer process as a consultant with his wife, Denise. “[The standard-def process] made it possible to do Star Trek: The Next Generation. It was a far more ambitious series from a technical point of view than the original [Trek] series. But the downside of that is, a quarter-century later, all you have is standard definition.”

To get the show converted for high def Blu-ray, every frame of the original camera negatives had to be rescanned, and each episode has been reconstructed using archived script and editors notes from 25 years ago. The result is truly spectacular, as you can see in this exclusive clip from the episode “Where No One Has Gone Before.” Check it out below (and expand to full-screen view for the complete effect):

The entire process of converting an episode into high def can take anywhere from four to six weeks — some episodes have as few as a dozen effects shots, while others can have over 100. Most of the visual effects were also shot on film, and then assembled in standard def video. But there were many effects that were made using analog painting tools in standard-def only. “We have artists going frame-by-frame, recreating using digital tools what was done on analog video back then,” says Okuda (pictured, third from right, with CBS TV exec Ryan Adams, fellow consultant Denise Okuda, and CBS TV exec David Grant).

With several episodes being converted at any given time, the project has pretty well consumed the Okudas life, from making detailed notes on every effects shot in a given episode before it’s converted, to screening upgraded shots for approval. Michael Okuda says the most difficult episode so far was the first, “Encounter at Farpoint,” but each episode has presented its own challenges. One of the three episodes included in the preview Blu-ray disc — season 3′s “Sins of the Father” — had 13 seconds of original film negative that could not be located, so the disc had to be released using 13 seconds of standard def video instead. A few months later, however, the missing footage was finally found in a mislabeled box.

And as for some of TNG‘s most ambitious, best regarded episodes — like “Yesterday’s Enterprise” and “Best of Both Worlds” — just mentioning them draws apprehensive sighs from the Okudas. “We’re focused on the moment,” says Michael Okuda. “When you called, there was an issue with a planet, making sure the clouds are right. That sounds very trivial, but that’s the issue of the moment.”

Along with the high-def episodes, new interviews with cast and crew members will be included in the Blu-ray edition. “We have interviews from people who are telling stories that we’ve never heard before,” says Denise Okuda with a laugh. “That’s pretty hard to do. We’ve been immersed in this universe for I don’t know how many years. I think people are really going to be happy.”

http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/30/box-art-and-full-details-for-star-trek-tng-season-1-blu-ray/

This afternoon CBS provided TrekMovie with the scoop on their upcoming season one release of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray, due July 24th. See below for the official box art, and full disc by disc details on what you can expect for this major release.

Box art and details on Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray

Just in time for the 25th anniversary of the series, TNG is getting a brand new look in HD. The set also features brand new special features, interviews, archival footage and a gag reel. The new material also features Star Trek experts Mike and Denise Okuda, consultants throughout this ongoing project, who offer special insights into the countless man-hours dedicated to the upgrade of The Next Generation.

Set Details

The STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION – THE FIRST SEASON Blu-ray set will be available in 1080p with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Stereo Surround, French Mono, Japanese Mono and German Mono (with the exception of “Encounter at Farpoint” which is in German Stereo). The discs also include English SDH, French, German, Castilian, Italian, Japanese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitles. The Blu-ray is not rated in the U.S. and rated PG in Canada.

The disc breakdown is as follows:

Disc One:
Episodes
• Encounter at Farpoint
• The Naked Now
• Code of Honor

Special Features
• Episodic Promos
• Energized! Taking The Next Generation to the Next Level (HD)
• Star Trek: The Next Generation Archives: The Launch
o Introduction to the Series (1987)
o Promo #1
o Promo #2
o Promo #3
o Season One Promo

Disc Two:
Episodes
• The Last Outpost
• Where No One Has Gone Before
• Lonely Among Us
• Justice
• The Battle

Special Features
• Episodic Promos

Disc Three:
Episodes
• Hide and Q
• Haven
• The Big Goodbye
• Datalore
• Angel One

Special Features
• Episodic Promos

Disc Four:
Episodes
• Too Short a Season
• When the Bough Breaks
• Home Soil
• Coming of Age

Special Features
• Episodic Promos

Disc Five:
Episodes
• Heart of Glory
• The Arsenal of Freedom
• Symbiosis
• Skin of Evil
• We’ll Always Have Paris

Special Features
• Episodic Promos

Disc Six:
Episodes
• Conspiracy
• The Neutral Zone

Special Features
• Episodic Promos
• Stardate Revisited: The Origin of Star Trek: The Next Generation (HD)
o Part 1: Inception
o Part 2: Launch
o Part 3: The Continuing Mission
• Gag Reel
• Archival Mission Logs
o The Beginning
o Selected Crew Analysis
o The Making of a Legend
o Memorable Missions

BigSchu22
05-01-2012, 06:52 AM
I would love to get a copy of the series in HD! The first 2 seasons would be really hard to get through again though with the horrible re-used Phase II scripts and some of the ones Gene wrote. Also, Picard was a complete dick in the first 2 seasons. Luckily, it got a great deal better. I'm still a huge fan of TNG, especially 'Cause and Effect,' 'The Best of Both Worlds,' and 'All Good Things,' one of the best series finales ever!

RainInSpain
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
:rock:TNG in HD - fantastic! :rock:
This may just be the argument for getting a blu-ray player sooner.

mae
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Some stunning restoration comparisons (note the restored shots are not sourced from the actual blu-ray):

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122482
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122484
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122558
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122559
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122560
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122561
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122562
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122563
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122564
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122802
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122803
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122806
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122807
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122809
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122811

noal
05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Brilliant news!

I was going to borrow the DVD's from my friend but I will wait for these now, haven't watched them for years.

ICry4Oy
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Speaking of The Next Generation, I met these guys yesterday at the Dallas Comic Con:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7238593006_45de0ae528.jpg

BigSchu22
05-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Speaking of The Next Generation, I met these guys yesterday at the Dallas Comic Con:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7238593006_45de0ae528.jpg

Wow, that's amazing! I'm a huge John De Lancie fan, he's a great actor. It's unfortunate what they did to the Q character on Voyager... seems Voyager ruined a lot of things. Weird since I was just watching SF Debri's Q reviews right before I saw this post!

DoctorDodge
07-14-2012, 04:46 AM
This made me chuckle:

http://urlybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/picard-android.jpg

mystima
07-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Android smartphone with unlimited Data? :evil::ninja::rofl:

DoctorDodge
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Now watching season 1 of TNG on blu ray. And yep, it really does look amazing.

Although I'm still amazed that it's barely a few minutes in and Troi's already had her first Captain Obvious moment. After Q freezes a man, her observation?

"He's frozen!"

http://opionator.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/its-in-the-stars-e28094-its-a-fake.jpg
NO SHIT, SHERLOCK

mae
11-12-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=tsfEKaUEMko

ICry4Oy
02-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Not Next Generation, but a Star Trek captain! I look like I've gotta shit or something because he was squeezing me so hard and laughing after I told him they should have killed all those damned Kardashians(sic)...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8462242086_3e0ee70934.jpg

needfulthings
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
U.S.A.1st EDITION OCT 1987
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/1473/img741e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img833/8210/img742k.jpg

U.K. 1st EDITION FEB 1988
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/7028/img739y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/9839/img740i.jpg

pathoftheturtle
10-01-2013, 03:21 PM
*BUMP*

So, in Star Trek: Generations we learn that Captain Kirk has been inside "The Nexus" since the launch of Enterprise B -- a trans-temporal reality entered through a cosmic string which moves through space. Picard enters and convinces Kirk to return to regular history, where he gives his life to make a difference.At the end, Picard muses
Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal. It's interesting that "What You Leave Behind" is the title of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's series finale in which Captain Sisko goes inside "The Celestial Temple" -- a trans-temporal reality entered through the Bajoran wormhole.
Also of great interest to those considering the continuity of ST continuity is the Temporal Cold War that played a major role in the Star Trek: Enterprise series.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Temporal_Cold_War

pathoftheturtle
11-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Come on... where all my Trekkies at?

kk: Here's some food for thought, right on track for this thread:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_completist/2013/05/star_trek_movies_and_tv_series_which_are_the_best_ why.html

mae
11-02-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/628195-star-trek-tv-series-in-the-works-at-cbs-with-producer-alex-kurtzman

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek TV series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new Star Trek TV series will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new Star Trek TV series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series “Scorpion” and “Limitless,” along with Kadin and Orci, and for “Hawaii Five-O” with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nunez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

killjoy72
11-02-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm in! I love Star Trek. TNG's my fave.

Jon
11-07-2015, 04:33 AM
It has been too long without a new series. There is MUCH to be explored.

As technology advances, so does the material for this franchise. I truly believe that!

I cannot wait.

mtdman
03-22-2016, 09:03 PM
A few new things have popped up about the show as of late. The first of which is a discussion by the head of CBS about Trek TV vs Trek movies. Paramount holds the rights to Trek movies. CBS tv holds the rights to the Trek tv series. Which leads one to believe that the new show will not be based in the new 'rebooted' Trek universe. Which would make me very happy. Also, the agreement between the two subsidiaries is that no Trek tv for 6 months after a release of a Paramount Trek movie. Hence the new series not starting until January 2017. This non-compete clause could create issues in the future if a 4th Trek movie is released.

Also, Nick Myer, the guy who wrote two of the best Star Trek OS movies, is a consulting producer. Which can only be a good thing, imo. Also, Bryan Fuller a Trek tv veteran is going to be in charge of the series.

mtdman
03-22-2016, 09:25 PM
So, I watched American History X last weekend. I watched that because I saw The 25th Hour on HBO with Ed Norton. That led me to AHX, which led me to Jennifer Lein because of her role in AHX and her recent legal issues. That led me to, of course, Star Trek: Voyager.

I watched the whole series back when it was on in real time on a weekly basis. Overall, the show was disappointing to me. It was the beginning of the end of the Berman era tv, imo. The formulaic stories really became dull and tedious, and the series never lived up to its potential. However, since it ended I haven't watched a single episode. I started watching the series over the weekend beginning with season 4, when Jeri Ryan came on board. I've made it through season 4 and have started on season 5. Hulu is a great thing, I'm glad i signed up for 11.22.63.

So I have some observations. First, they did 26 episodes a season. That is a lot of content and a lot of episodes to go through. It seems crazy these days when most seasons are 10 or 13 episodes. IMO all those episodes is part of the problem of the low quality of the series. So many episodes are throw away stories that mean nothing. Boring stories that really didn't add to the show nor advance the overall plot of the series.

Secondly, the series isn't really that bad. There are quite a few gems in the show, and good episodes, good acting performances, etc. I wasn't a big fan of Janeway back when the show was on, but I actually am enjoying Mulgrew's acting and her role in the show now. I can't say the same for every character, but there are bright spots in the show. Also, as I rewatch these, I am remembering where I was and what I was doing when I watched these live the first time. That was a much different time in my life and watching these has helped me to recapture that.

I still don't like the design of the ship. And I still do not like the whole 'let's blow up half the ship in act 2 and then have everything back to normal in act 3' thing. That really started with TNG, but it kinda worked in the 80s and early 90s. TV advanced, story telling advanced, and Star Trek tv did not.

IMO that is why Enterprise failed, they did not learn, adapt or advance. TV in the early 00s really advanced and story telling improved. Star Trek's staleness was due to Rick Berman's leadership, imo. But I am hopeful that with new leaders and new stories and the advances made in storytelling over the last 10 years the new series will be better. I hope that CBS is serious about making the show good and really trying for a hit.

Meanwhile, I will continue with my rewatch of Voyager and maybe Enterprise next. My all time favorite is DS9.

Jon
03-24-2016, 08:04 PM
As to The decor...did the ADA cause them to hire a color blind decorator?? What's with all the mint/frost green shades. While the mint/frost green shades are fine; I feel they clash badly with the red command uniforms as well as the off yellow engineering uniforms. Even Paris' "obsession ship" had these shades! ... The Captain's quarters ect.

Jon
03-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Oh and the "pre=series "Enterprise" with the purple/ royal blue jumpsuit was a better show. Look what they did with Jolene Blalock's wardrobe!!...tasty!!!

Jon
03-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Good to hear... I don't want a reboot anyway. Technology has expanded the mind ffar since the last Star Trek series or movie. I will happily wait for the non-compete clause to expire from the movie.

mtdman
03-24-2016, 10:42 PM
As to The decor...did the ADA cause them to hire a color blind decorator?? What's with all the mint/frost green shades. While the mint/frost green shades are fine; I feel they clash badly with the red command uniforms as well as the off yellow engineering uniforms. Even Paris' "obsession ship" had these shades! ... The Captain's quarters ect.

I was thinking about all the teal green in the show just the other day. Can't stand the conference room table with that horrible green color.

Enterprise was promising but then they started with the year long story tracking down the aliens that attacked earth. That really led the show astray.

Jon
03-25-2016, 07:16 PM

I was thinking about all the teal green in the show just the other day. Can't stand the conference room table with that horrible green color.

Enterprise was promising but then they started with the year long story tracking down the aliens that attacked earth. That really led the show astray.

Yes...I'd forgotten about the conference table...and the chairs! UGH!

I see your point about chasing down the Xindi, but to the show's credit, it DID move beyond that...eventually.

mtdman
03-29-2016, 07:00 PM

I see your point about chasing down the Xindi, but to the show's credit, it DID move beyond that...eventually.

The last year was much improved. But by then the show was already on the chopping block.

Jon
03-31-2016, 10:20 PM

The last year was much improved. But by then the show was already on the chopping block.

Yes... it mercifully stopped short of a lesbian affair with T'Pol and Hoshi.

mae
05-19-2016, 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

pathoftheturtle
05-29-2016, 01:54 AM
It has been too long without a new series. There is MUCH to be explored.

As technology advances, so does the material for this franchise. I truly believe that!

I cannot wait.
It's good to hear you're pleased. I remember us talking about its absence compared to the revival of "Doctor Who" -- another marker for how long it's been.

I'm excited, too, and even excited about the new movie... although I feel guarded about it at the same time. My father warned me the first reboot was no good, but I went to see it anyway. He's an old school Trekkie, but after all did not even really care for TNG, which is ridiculous. He wanted to like the new version, but I somehow thought he just didn't give it a fair chance. And then, after throwing my good money after his bad, I still got up my hopes again for the sequel. Maybe I'm just gullible that that further disappointment doesn't still restrain interest in the next one. I just read Simon Pegg saying specifically that it's an improvement. His Scotty and Karl Urban's portrayal of McCoy are elements of those two films I really did enjoy. I guess with both that and this show, odds are at least one new ST product will not completely stink. :fingerscrossed:

mae
07-23-2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

mae
09-02-2016, 07:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINWsaK0QM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwp4nr5zcs

mae
09-11-2016, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1XeyeywjU

Jon
09-16-2016, 10:29 PM
I was surprised at the style of the artwork...I like it. Thank you for sharing.

P.S. I think you forgot to repack your badge.

mae
02-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Depressing news:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-voyager-deep-space-nine-blu-ray/

CBS recently announced that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager were going to be reissued on DVD, leaving many fans to wonder why these shows wouldn’t join the original Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Star Trek: Enterprise on Blu-ray. Unfortunately, there isn’t a simple answer to this question and the details are going to bum out any fan hoping for a ray of high definition hope. Thanks to a new interview though, we now know exactly why these shows will probably never get proper HD restorations.

Go ahead and go grab a snack or a drink, because this Trek News interview with Robert Meyer Burnett, the writer, director, producer and editor of the special features on those amazing Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray sets, is a long one. And you’d better make it a sweet snack or an alcoholic drink, because it’s also a depressing one. I’ve included the basic details below, but I do recommend that you read the whole thing for every detail – it’s fascinating.

Here’s the short version: Deep Space Nine and Voyager, like The Next Generation, were shot on 35mm film. However, all three shows were scanned to videotape for editing and post-production because high definition televisions didn’t exist and there was no point for shows to actually, you know, look good at the time. This meant that beautiful, colorful, crisp footage of each show existed in storage while the only finished versions were crummy videos at NTSC resolution:

In the mid-1980s, the advent of cheaper and cheaper computing technology allowed video post-production to grow more and more sophisticated. Now, a new post-production methodology, once existing only for shows originating on videotape, like soap operas and talk shows, could now be applied to shows shot originally on film. A program could be shot on 35mm film, but instead of editing on film and then cutting negative, the original 35mm material footage would instead be scanned to videotape — at NTSC resolution, and the rest of the post-production process, editing, mixing, etc., would then be completed on tape, at a reduced cost. However, NO FILM NEGATIVE WAS CUT, so the final product would only exist on videotape, at NTSC’s greatly reduced video resolution and color. True blacks, stable reds and rich blues simply didn’t exist on videotape. Those shows originally shot on 35mm, with a 20 megapixel resolution, were never to be seen again if finished on tape.

So the task of bringing The Next Generation to high definition was downright Herculean – the remastering process meant tracking down the 35mm negative for all 178 episodes of the series and literally reconstructing every episode from scratch, using the video edits as a guide. In other words…it was a difficult, arduous process that cost a lot of money and took years to finish:

So a radical notion was proposed…why not go back to the original negative and REBUILD the entire show, from from the ground up, in High Definition? In the history of television, this had never been done before. Essentially, all 178 episodes of TNG (176 if you’re watching the original versions of “Encounter at Farpoint” and “All Good Things”) would have to go through the entire post-production process AGAIN. The original edits would be adhered to exactly, but all the original negative would have to be rescanned, the VFX re-composed, the footage re-color-timed, certain VFX, such as phaser blasts and energy fields, recreated in CG, and the entire soundtrack, originally only finished in 2 channel stereo, would be remastered into thunderous, 7.1 DTS.

And if you’ve seen the Next Generation Blu-rays, you know that they look nothing short spectacular. Like the high definition restorations of the original series, it looks like a whole new show. Seeing The Next Generation look cinematic rather than fuzzy and cheap is mind-blowing. It’s one of the great accomplishments in all of film and television restoration, period.

Unfortunately, the Blu-ray sets arrived as streaming was starting to take hold and physical media sales began to dwindle. The sets underperformed and audiences simply made do with the standard definition episodes available to stream on Netflix. Restoring Deep Space Nine and Voyager, which were never as popular as The Next Generation, would be the equivalent of throwing millions of dollars into a black hole. There aren’t even plans to restore the shows for streaming purposes.

Burnett did note that it would be possible to restore Deep Space Nine and Voyager, noting that tests have been done and they look great. Time and money are the issue:

During the latter seasons of the TNG restoration, Mojo, one of the original, Emmy-Winning VFX artists on Voyager, who, at the time, was still in possession of many of the original DS9 and Voyager VFX assets, did a re-rendering VFX test on footage from “The Sacrifice of Angels.” The test really looked spectacular, and proved it could be done. But again, it would still take very talented VFX artists working long hours to accomplish the number of shots required for the episodes at great cost.

This is all very unfortunate. While never as popular as the other shows, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my favorite of the series and quite possibly the finest science fiction series ever created (yeah, I said it). I’m more lukewarm on Star Trek: Voyager, but this whole franchise is a cultural institution that deserves to be treasured. Even the weaker stuff deserves to be seen in the best possible way.

The silver lining here is that these shows aren’t going to vanish. We’ll always be able to watch them in some capacity. They’ll just look like garbage. At least Star Trek: Discovery is on the way to hopefully tend to our woes.

Merlin1958
03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
This may turn out to be an excellent choice!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77396

tippy4
03-10-2017, 06:05 PM
I just rewatched all of DS9 over the last six months or so.....they're running it and all the other Star Trek Series (including the animated series) on a new cable network called H&I (Heroes and Icons).

All in all...I think it still holds up.

I think I may do the same with Enterprise .....

Jon
03-12-2017, 06:41 PM
I just rewatched all of DS9 over the last six months or so.....they're running it and all the other Star Trek Series (including the animated series) on a new cable network called H&I (Heroes and Icons).

All in all...I think it still holds up.

I think I may do the same with Enterprise .....

Yup..I prefer Enterprise, but DS9 is great...rich charters.

Plus Enterprise has Jolene Blaylock... better than Ryan. LOL (As if Ryan is chopped liver. LOL)

mae
05-17-2017, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

mae
06-28-2017, 03:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4GeC7yL2ow

mae
07-22-2017, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7IMj7WFyE

mae
09-26-2017, 02:41 PM
So did anyone watch Discovery? Got it DVRed, will try to get to it this weekend. Reviews sound good.

mattgreenbean
09-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Watched it live, it was alright. I didn't care for Michael, the lead character. I can't watch any future episodes anyways. They will only be available on the CBS app for a cost and I'm not that interested in paying to continue. But I would say that the production value seems to be pretty high quality. I was a fan of TNG a long time ago, but hadn't watched any of the other ones. So I may not be the best judge of how this series compares.