PDA

View Full Version : Popular music artists you're just not into

Iwritecode
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Well I did the movie version of this thread so I might as well try the music version. :biggrin:

I'd have to preface this with the fact that I'm not really into music all that much in the first place. It's not that I don't like music. I do have an MP3 player and also a few dozen CDs still, but the only time I really listen to music is while I'm driving. Even then I'm usually content to listen to whatever happens to come on the radio.

A lot of times though, I'll listen more to "talk" radio. Sports talk on an AM station, comedy channels on XM, morning shows like Bob and Tom where they talk more than they play music.

My MP3 player has about 100 songs on it and I've been adding to it but I really struggle to find songs I like enough to put on it. I'll listen to it at work sometimes.

I can count the number of concerts I've been to on one hand and that includes seeing Weird Al on 3 separate occasions. I'm also not including the numerous times I've seen one particular band at fairs/carnivals during the summer.

So all that being said, I would define my list by the artists that I don't actually own any songs of. It's not that I don't listen to their music sometimes. I've just never put the effort out to buy one of their albums or put any of their songs on my MP3 player. There are only a few artists that I actively dislike and avoid.

The Beatles
The Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd
Lynard Skynard
Jimi Hendrix
The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
Bob Marley
Elvis
Michael Jackson
Madonna,
Prince
The Smashing Pumpkins
DMB
U2
Coldplay
Whitney Houston,
Lady Gaga
Rihanna
Nicki Minaj
Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood
Katy Perry
Usher
Pit Bull
Alicia Keys
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Green Day*
Led Zeppelin**
Kiss***

*I actually like 2 of their songs. "Blvd of Broken Dreams" and "When September Ends", but if any of their other songs come on, I change the station.

**The only song I really know by them is Stairway to Heaven. I actually have the CD with that song but I couldn't tell you any of the other songs on it.

***I actually do like a lot of their music, I've just never actually owned any of it. Not really sure why.

OK, commence the lynching.

Emily
01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
RIHANNA.

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
RIHANNA.

Oh, I love you. :wub:

alkanto
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
RIHANNA.

Oh, I love you. :wub:

3rd...ed?

Most of what's on the radio now, and going back about 5 or 6 years, I can't really stand. There are exceptions, of course. For some reason, I kinda like Bruno Mars (damn, that guy can sing!) For sure I can't stand taylor Swift, Kesha, anything in the country genre, anything in the rap genre....

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I agree with pretty much all you said.
Most musicians (and I use that term lightly) just annoy me now. There is too much crap out there, like Kesha, that I hear and think "People actually like this junk?!" I mean, Lady Gaga?! Everyone keeps acting like she's got some major talent, but all it is is shock value.
There are sometimes artists who come out and I may not get into all of their music, but I can at least say "They have a talent". Like Bruno Mars. Dude's shit is catchy at times. You can tell he's got a knack for music and not just a gimmick like most people.
Or Coldplay. I have never been able to get into their stuff, but I can give credit where it's due and say that they are good at what they do.

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
And Iwritecode: There are less that 5 artist on your list that I'm even into.
Most of them, I either can't stand or just can't get into.

Emily
01-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Dudes, Taylor Swift is kind of my girl.

I loathe Kesha though. What a waste of space. Agree about Lady Gaga too. I just can't get into her music.

I'll probably get slain for this but I hate Bruce Springsteen. Sorry :unsure:

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
:lol:

I never got into Springsteen either.

Although, I do sort of like "Glory Days" as of recent. :)

Bethany
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I hate to say this but Lady Gaga really is talented. Granted, the songs she sings (with the exception of 2) are utter shite. However, just listen to her voice and you can hear it. And I am only in a position to say this because I have a kid that is obsessed with her and listens to her constantly.

I cannot stand today's "country" music. When did country come to mean expensive ass trucks, the beach and stupid white girls in sundresses and boots?! Country music is rodeos and cheating and heartbreak.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I saw a biopic once, when John met Yoko. I remember one bit of dialog in particular.

John Lennon: I really admire what you do. I wish that I could be an artist.
Yoko Ono: What? Don't you consider your music to be your art?
John Lennon: That's different.
Yoko Ono: How?
John Lennon: Art doesn't have a hit parade.

Iwritecode
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I figured the more current popular artists would be disliked by a lot of people.

I usually get a lot of flak for not liking the "classics" like The Beatles or Elvis.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Or U2. I do think that you have used a bit too wide a brush. And I detest pop as much as nearly anyone.

Odetta
01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Coldplay

thegunslinger41
01-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I detest most POP, but even more so the whiney metallic warbling special effects that artists filter their voices through..... makes for an instant 1 hit wonder and makes me swallow my vomit ever time I hear it.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaiRLDM628

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM

I quote The Dude whenever I hear The Eagles.

I hate The Eagles.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM

I quote The Dude whenever I hear The Eagles.

I hate The Eagles.That's it! You outta my cab!!

No, but I forgive the Dude for that hatin' because A.) Anyone who had to deal with Jesus's "Hotel California" riff would end up embittered, I guess and B.) he IS a fan of CCR.

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
It's Don Henley's voice! I can't stand it. :lol:

Roland of Gilead 33
05-23-2014, 10:15 PM
I love the eagles. but I'd say oh about 90% of today's music I think is shit. I can't name you one single NEW artist if you want to call them that I like. yet I can think of over 50 groups/artists from say the year (1987) for example. what's that tell you?

Mattrick
05-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Basically everything after the year 2000. The following are bands I cannot stand, regardless if I happen to like a song or two of theirs (often not enough considering their body of work):

U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Motley Crue
AC/DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tupac
The Police
The Tragically Hip
Queen (the songs I like I love, but as a whole just doesn't do it for me)
Nirvana
Bon Jovi
Michael Jackson
Kiss
Aerosmith

Ben Staad
05-24-2014, 07:21 AM
LOL. With the exception of U2 and Tragically Hip (never heard of them) your list is almost my daily soundtrack. The Crue, AC/DC, Tupac, The Police, Nirvana, and MJ are all in my CD changer (yeah I know) right now.

Basically everything after the year 2000. The following are bands I cannot stand, regardless if I happen to like a song or two of theirs (often not enough considering their body of work):

U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Motley Crue
AC/DC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tupac
The Police
The Tragically Hip
Queen (the songs I like I love, but as a whole just doesn't do it for me)
Nirvana
Bon Jovi
Michael Jackson
Kiss
Aerosmith

Jean
05-24-2014, 07:32 AM
bears' list would be too long for our database

Tommy
05-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Nickleback and Avril Lavigne make me want to cry and now that they have joined forces I fear the apocalypse draws nigh :panic:

fearless-freak
05-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Guns N Roses

Girlystevedave
05-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Nickleback and Avril Lavigne make me want to cry and now that they have joined forces I fear the apocalypse draws nigh :panic:

Holy Crap. That is scary. :lol: :scared:

Merlin1958
05-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Oh, c'mon, You hate this????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lmzY8iIhg

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7i6sm11MPg

Tommy
05-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Holy Crap. That is scary. :lol: :scared:

I'm really sorry about this but damn it, people need to know :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udf0g3cZwZ0

(keep in mind the singer to Nickleback co-wrote this)

Again, my apologies :rose:

Roland of Gilead 33
05-25-2014, 03:31 PM
her I don't mind but with nickelback I just can't see it. I love bands like the goo goo dolls. barenaked ladies. and a shit load more. but all these bands I'm naming or thinking of that have put out new material. are artists that have been big since the oh the 80's or the 90's. older bands in short. U2 I don't mind but I do think Bono is a jackass and needs to stop dressing like he's still in his 30's. kinda like I like I Love Charles Band's movies but the guy is over 60 years old now and hearing him say DUDES and chicks and calling breasts boobies is a thing a kid would do.

it wasn't to bad when he was younger but he's nearly a senior ciztizen! sorry for my shitty spelling. I mention him cause I just got done listening to him on audio commentary for my Puppet Master 2 Blu-ray that I just bought like 2 weeks ago!

Jon
05-26-2014, 01:16 PM
So much waste.

I suspect that the likes of Kate Perry will turn 40 one day and will crash on to a couch weeping and cry "why didn't somebody stop me!"

Iwritecode
05-27-2014, 08:16 AM
I keep hearing people everywhere talk about The Black Keys but even if you put a gun to my head, I couldn’t name a single one of their songs.

Ben Staad
05-27-2014, 08:21 AM
http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/HomeInvPt1_SafeGunUse.jpg

Me too.

I keep hearing people everywhere talk about The Black Keys but even if you put a gun to my head, I couldn’t name a single one of their songs.

Heather19
05-27-2014, 09:25 AM
I love The Black Keys. Their new album is my current obsession. I'm not sure if they really qualify as popular though? Maybe more so now, but I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs on the radio.

As for popular artists that I don't care for, I'd say that's most of mainstream, top 40 type artists. There's too many to name :lol:

fearless-freak
05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
The Sex Pistols, don't get me wrong i do respect them.... but i find The Clash more influential

Jon
05-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Top 40?

I doubt if my taste is in the top 400.

Iwritecode
05-28-2014, 07:53 AM
I love The Black Keys. Their new album is my current obsession. I'm not sure if they really qualify as popular though? Maybe more so now, but I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs on the radio.

IDK about playing their songs on the radio but I hear them referenced quite a bit on the radio for concerts or tv appearances like Conan or SNL. So it seems their popularity is growing.

Not having their songs played on the radio would be the exact reason I’ve never heard any of them.

Mattrick
05-28-2014, 11:01 AM
LOL. With the exception of U2 and Tragically Hip (never heard of them) your list is almost my daily soundtrack. The Crue, AC/DC, Tupac, The Police, Nirvana, and MJ are all in my CD changer (yeah I know) right now.

Tragically Hip is the most Canadian of Canadian groups. I like a few of their songs like New Orleans Is Sinking and Ahead By A Century (I'm sure you recognize this song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fbGFO1EaAE But people in Canada LOVE The Hip and I've never got them.

Some of those groups I posted like Queen, Nirvana and MJ I don't so much as hate as just not like on the whole. I love a few songs from them and listen to those as a lot but on the whole I think they're either overrated or just not my kind of music, whichever it is lol

Heather19
05-28-2014, 11:06 AM

IDK about playing their songs on the radio but I hear them referenced quite a bit on the radio for concerts or tv appearances like Conan or SNL. So it seems their popularity is growing.

Not having their songs played on the radio would be the exact reason I’ve never heard any of them.

You're right. They've definitely gained in popularity with their last two albums. I had heard about them years prior to finally listening to some of their music, and since I have it seems like I've come across more and more people that have heard of them. Could also be that they just released their latest album earlier this month. I'd recommend checking them out. They have a bluesy rock sound if you're into that.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-01-2015, 01:56 AM
who are the black keys anyways? you know what makes me mad/sad is that 20 years from now music will no doubt be 100% pure shit. where it's near there now. i can't name one single new artist or band of today i like. and that just saddens me on how bad music has gotten. it's got nothing with getting older i don't think. it's more so that there are plenty of songs from bands i hate that can have at least one song i like. i can't stand Grunge, Nirvana for example but i can at least say i like Smells like Teen Spirit. that's the only song i like. but it depends on your taste i guess.

Mattrick
01-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Arcade Fire is one of the few new bands that a truly great. That state of music these days is sad. Music needs a renaissance

Roland of Gilead 33
01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
honesly i never heard of them either. so i can't say if i like them or not to be fair. when i 1st read about the black keys, i thought i read the black eyed peas cause them i can't stand. but i read it wrong apparently. oh well

Mattrick
01-01-2015, 08:59 PM
I recently got into Arcade Fire because they made the score for the movie Her, which I love and have listened to over and over. Their album The Suburbs won best album at the Grammy's in 2010. They're from Montreal and really, really great. Unique sound, philosophical lyrics and great vocals. They also create themed albums and I appreciate albums like theirs where all the songs fit together perfectly. This is a youtube playlist for their The Suburbs album. Check it out. I haven't really stopped listening to them for a few weeks now haha

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBD92189C730EB6E

ladysai
01-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Arcade Fire is one of the few new bands that a truly great. That state of music these days is sad. Music needs a renaissance

I would say the last decade or so was a renaissance for music, at least in the ability of artists to get their music out there for consumption. The variety of artists and genres of music has multiplied along with access to the internet, it seems to me.

You fellas heard of Imagine Dragons? AWOLNATION? The White Stripes?
Theres a ton of new music out there, surely something can appeal to your taste.

Mattrick
01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
The problem with that is there's so much new music out there it all just blends together for me. An artist really needs to stand out for me to take notice. Some artists I really like since 2000: Alexisonfire, Brand New, Arcade Fire, City and Colour (Dallas Green), Lifehouse, Incubus, Adele, Michael Buble, The Killers, You+Me (Dallas Green/Pink), Ludacris. I hear songs I like by artists then the rest of their stuff all kind of sounds the same or they end up sounding generic after a few albums. I tend to gravitate towards artists that have a unique sound but also vary their sound album to album, song to song. There are probably some good artists working I haven't discovered. I thought I would really like Muse but all their songs are kind of about the same stuff.

Girlystevedave
01-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I agree with you about a lot of artists just blending together. I really can't stand the way there's all this easy going folk-ish crap all over the place now. One band does it, it's cool. But when every damn song on the radio sounds the same, it's annoying. Also, I can't think of any new music I'm that into - most of what I listen to are bands/musicians that I've been listening to for a while. To be honest, me discovering new music usually consists of me finding something awesome from the 60's or 70's- some rare gem I had no clue about.
While people are discovering new artists, I'm falling in love with The Animals or Simon and Garfunkel for the first time in my life. :lol:

Iwritecode
01-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I completely forgot about this thread. I actually heard a black keys song one day and recognized it because it's on the MLB the show game I always play. I just never knew it was by them.

Mattrick
01-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I agree with you about a lot of artists just blending together. I really can't stand the way there's all this easy going folk-ish crap all over the place now. One band does it, it's cool. But when every damn song on the radio sounds the same, it's annoying. Also, I can't think of any new music I'm that into - most of what I listen to are bands/musicians that I've been listening to for a while. To be honest, me discovering new music usually consists of me finding something awesome from the 60's or 70's- some rare gem I had no clue about.
While people are discovering new artists, I'm falling in love with The Animals or Simon and Garfunkel for the first time in my life. :lol:

I go back way further than that haha. I'm still exploring the music of the 19th century lol. So much good stuff.

Girlystevedave
01-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Yes!
So much good stuff!

Jon
01-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Also, I can't think of any new music I'm that into - most of what I listen to are bands/musicians that I've been listening to for a while.

Step #1 of getting old. :P

Heather19
01-08-2015, 07:20 AM
There's a few random new artists that have come out recently that I've enjoyed. But they're definitely far from mainstream music. Devil Makes Three and The Civil Wars are two that come to mind. When it comes to mainstream music these days, and current top 100 type music, it's just not my thing at all. I still have all my favorites that I've been listening to for years that are still producing music, DMB, Ben Harper, Ray LaMontagne, JBT, Tori Amos (and even half of those are low key artists that you never hear about). And like Amanda I've really gotten into some older music that I just never listened to before, I love Neil Young now, and a few years ago discovered all the duets between Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood, oh and my most recent one would be Bob Marley.

Girlystevedave
01-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Also, I can't think of any new music I'm that into - most of what I listen to are bands/musicians that I've been listening to for a while.

Yeah, but I've been this way for a while, so I can't blame it on getting old. :P

And like Amanda I've really gotten into some older music that I just never listened to before, I love Neil Young now, and a few years ago discovered all the duets between Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood, oh and my most recent one would be Bob Marley.

I love discovering older music. Especially when it's an artist who has a large music catalog to explore. :)

Jon
01-08-2015, 08:06 PM

Yeah, but I've been this way for a while, so I can't blame it on getting old. :P

I know what ya' mean, lady.

When I was about 18 I cut out Pop music all together despite girlfriends and such. At age 21 or so I even cut out out most new heavy metal save any new Maiden, Dio, Metallica and Queensryche products. I even ignored Slayer, Testament and Megadeth.

I always assumed this because my son was born when I was 22 and I had settled down, but I did not. I was still wild in my actions.

Between the ages of 22 and 30 I ran more miles from Federal agents in my life than ever. I snorted far more miles of coke. And I set off a lot of Hoosier A-bombs.
But in the end I find myself with Iron Maiden, Armored Saint, Dio but yet the likes of Little River Band and Rod Stuart and Toto.

Girlystevedave
01-09-2015, 06:25 AM
But in the end I find myself with Iron Maiden, Armored Saint, Dio but yet the likes of Little River Band and Rod Stuart and Toto.

I've always had a fear of getting older and no longer enjoying my loud rock music. But, I've noticed that, while I really enjoy stuff like Simon and Garfunkel or Michael Buble in the past few years, I also dig a good metal song more than I did when I was younger.
So, I guess I don't have to worry about abandoning my rock music for easy listening junk. :lol:

But, if I ever start listening to The Eagles, someone had better organize an intervention.

Jon
01-12-2015, 09:29 AM
But, if I ever start listening to The Eagles, someone had better organize an intervention.

:wtf:

Yeah...I was always worried I'd fall into easy listening jazz. I even fell into listening to classical piano and bagpipe music to help me sleep. But so far that stuff seems to be relegated to just helping me sleep.

I think the key is; when I am alone, in the car or the house, how loud is the Dio, LRB or Queensryche? I am now 46 and the answer to that question has been consistently... "ear splitting!"

I think it's ok if I am driving around blaring The Little River Band's Reminiscing so loud that old ladies and cops flip me off. But if I am found tooling about Muncie, Indiana with Queensryche at 1/4 volume...just put a bullet through my skull!

Merlin1958
01-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Just to piss off, Jon. My grandson just loves this and therefore so do I.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

Mattrick
01-21-2015, 06:52 PM
I've always had a fear of getting older and no longer enjoying my loud rock music. But, I've noticed that, while I really enjoy stuff like Simon and Garfunkel or Michael Buble in the past few years, I also dig a good metal song more than I did when I was younger.

Michael Buble kicks ass.

Girlystevedave
01-22-2015, 05:53 AM
I know, right?!
I only started listening to his music because I really enjoyed his Christmas songs that would come on the radio. So I thought I'd give his other stuff a try. Turns out that Michael Buble does, indeed, kick ass. :lol:
And I haven't even delved into all of his music yet.

Jon
01-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Just to aggravate Bill of the Southwest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

Merlin1958
01-26-2015, 06:05 PM
LOL Jon, He loves this one too. And boy will this one piss you off!!! I gotta lock this kid in a room with nothing but Beatles, Zep and the Stones for awhile!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8

And I suppose we can expect more of this crap for the Super Bowl!!! LOL

Mattrick
01-28-2015, 08:39 PM
I know, right?!
I only started listening to his music because I really enjoyed his Christmas songs that would come on the radio. So I thought I'd give his other stuff a try. Turns out that Michael Buble does, indeed, kick ass. :lol:
And I haven't even delved into all of his music yet.

Crazy Love is his best stuff. Cry Me a River is THE SHIT...immediately followed by Georgia On My Mind? One hell of a one two punch. You should watch his live at MSG...I watched it not to long ago on youtube. He's quite a showman, and a pretty funny guy too, which is natural to us Canadians lol Me and my friend call him Mickey Bubbles, which is an awesome, awesome name and he should use it.

Girlystevedave
01-29-2015, 06:40 AM
"Mickey Bubbles" made me laugh.
You know, I've not heard either of those songs yet. I'm gonna have to check them out. So far, my favorites are Feeling Good and Some Kind of Wonderful. :)
My parents gave me shit for listening to Michael Buble, and then I was in the car with my mom one day and made her listen to Feeling Good, and she was like "Okay, that really does sound good."
It's pretty bad when you're trying to sell your own parents on Michael Buble music. :lol:

Mattrick
01-29-2015, 07:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFmVb5cTJU (Cry Me a River...It's always sounded like a Bond song to me haha).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIH3S3A-BnY (Georgia on my Mind)

So everyone can enjoy these great songs. Me and my mom were almost yelling at her boyfriend for hating on Michael Buble while simultaneously complaining no one makes music like they used to, and most of his stuff IS old music like they used to make haha

Girlystevedave
01-30-2015, 06:55 AM
I'm gonna make it a point to check these out later when I'm not at work so I can enjoy them fully. :D

And yes, I give Mickey Bubbles props for keeping it classy, as far as his music style. :thumbsup:

Roland of Gilead 33
02-02-2015, 06:15 PM
i love Simon & garfunkel. i love and respect old music, the animals someone said a page back i love them. i can name at least 30 or 40 artists i love. some of them are no doubt one hit wonders as well. or groups i didn't know did this or that song. but i can't name one single new artist that i like. to me most music today isn't poetry at all. an i love it when an artist or a band do songs that are pure poetry like the doors for example the guys even said that when they would run out of ideas they'd turn to some of his poems he wrote and you can easily tell some of their songs

are poems. and i'm just using the doors as an example. than you have what i call story songs which are the ones that tell a good story. Genesis did plenty of those and so did the doors.
driving the last spike is not only one of my favorite Genesis songs. it tells a great and sad story plus it's a well written song as well. that's from their (1991) album "We Can't Dance" a great album by the way. i don't see any artists these days do that type of song anymore. the older artists still do that but the newer ones that don't. at least i don't think they do anymore. and i also think it hurts music today by not doing any of it. grunge i also think helped kill music too cause to me it all sounds the same. i realize to a lot of people it doesn't but to me it does.

another thing that is helping kill music isn't just grunge but auto tune it's one of the worst fucking inventions to music and i'd rather listen to disco and most disco i hate. another type of music
i hate with a passion is death metal, i don't consider that music cause i can't understand what is being said at all and to me that's not music. now Heavy metal i love. i just hope that when i'm 90 if i live that long i am still able to love the music i love now.

Jon
02-06-2015, 07:59 PM
I don't listen to modern music except for maybe Muse. It doesn't appeal to me. I assumed it was always because I am 46.
Some one PLEASE tell me that ROG33 is wrong! Please tell me there IS still poetry in music! Please! Please tell me ROG33 is referring to POP music!

Heavy metal Rules!

Roland of Gilead 33
02-06-2015, 10:09 PM
to me it doesn't feel like their is to be honest. and i love poetry, an album you MUST get it "Jim Morrison's' Poetry album 'An American Prayer' a fantastic album that i just love.

sorry going off topic, i love the goo goo dolls and there are some songs of theirs that i think can be maybe considered poetry. the song NAME that is their 1st real big hit from (1995) was in fact a poem that Johnny Resnick or whatever the hell his last name is ? well that was a poem he wrote while i think getting over a woman i think ? and he just showed it to someone i forget who and he was talked into recording it and it was a huge hit for them at that time. stuff like that i enjoy hearing about you know? though that song came out in (1995) there are some Meatloaf stuff that feels like it could be poetry as well. weather Jim Steinman wrote it or not some songs have that feel.

some Bon Jovi stuff feel like that as well. but i honestly can't off the top of my head think of one artist that is around that has the poetry feeling that you and me both love. songs in my book are nothing but poetry put to music. or it should be anyways, i am a huge insane clown posse fan and though they are a matter of taste to be fair. none of their music i can say are poetry. though there are plenty of songs that do kinda have dark stories in them though. and if you want to consider that poetry well dark ass poetry you can if you'd like but that may be stretching it though. i think Emimen or however ya spell his last name speaking of RAP. some of his stuff can have that feeling of poetry. Stan for one has that feeling of both a story and poetry in a way.

check out the song 'Headlights' from his newest album that came out just about a year or so ago. it's about him forgiving his mom for all the shit she put him through and i think that song take away the music and the rap can be considered poetry. and it's also a favorite of mine too.

Jon
02-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Mt Friend, When I hear, Bon jov and ICP offered up as some sort of ... penance I am further distraught. I only suspect that you are way off base. Really man...ICP?...
I have faith that others of youth here at DT can save this ship.

Merlin1958
02-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Mt Friend, When I hear, Bon jov and ICP offered up as some sort of ... penance I am further distraught. I only suspect that you are way off base. Really man...ICP?...
I have faith that others of youth here at DT can save this ship.

Sadly, Jon MHO is that when, Mariano retired, so did "Heavy Metal". Never again will we see "Enter the Sandman" in its true form!!! R.I.P.!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWO8d8J-cyM

Jon
02-06-2015, 10:47 PM
But to hold up ICP as an example as one of thee examples of one's generation of "Music." !!?? Poetry even??

As a amateur, and self-unproclaimed poet I would not hide my works behind the production of ICP!

As a College educated and criminal justice experienced counselor, I have have seen the band ICP , specifically and repeatedly. I, and a wide number of my colleagues see issues with hardcore band followers and the band.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2015, 06:03 PM
i didn't say there music was poetry and i didn't mean that. i just meant that if you listen to some songs of there's. they tell a story and i love it when songs tell a good story. to catch a predator for example is about what all of us would love to do to pedophiles. unlike some rap they never talk about rap or anything like that. ICP is a group that i don't think takes it self seriously and i like that. they of course take the music seriously weather you are a fan or not, but you can tell with some songs they were clearly having fun writing certain songs. even if it's just singing about goofy shit. there's artists out there that take themselves way to serious and it sometimes can hurt their music. i also get a kick of the guys themselves they make me laugh.

i may not agree with everyhing they say but that's anyone really.

Jon
02-09-2015, 05:36 AM
I am sorry, RG33. I had a knee0jerk reaction. I have had to undo a lot of ICP's messages of self harm. I forget these actions are taken by..."vulnerable minds." It is just tough when I see one band over and over. I apologize that I took frustrations out on you, RG33.