View Full Version : The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Tony
10-29-2012, 05:01 AM
http://subterraneanpress.com/
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/shining_limited_editions/

Randall Flagg
10-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Outstanding! 2013 is sure looking like a big year for King books.

Tito_Villa
10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Very cool! If i start saving now i might have enough for it too

Pasiuk57
10-29-2012, 05:15 AM
the lettered is spendy...

Pasiuk57
10-29-2012, 05:18 AM
A very nice project- If all books sell just north of $610K.

Cook
10-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Excellent!
Excellent!!
Outstanding!!!

mosheprigan
10-29-2012, 05:43 AM
the lettered is spendy...
I asked there Bill if there would be a lay-a-way for the Lettered ed, he said they do not plan on offering installments. Really very spendy.

jhanic
10-29-2012, 05:57 AM
I'll be getting a copy of the numbered. I just can't afford the lettered. Has anyone heard of the artist?

John

ELazansky
10-29-2012, 06:01 AM
I have - she's done some illustrations for Neil Gaiman S/L editions - Anansi Boys and Melinda

I'm looking forward to it as well. Hopefully they won't have a system crash once it goes on sale for preorders, but I am guessing the $450 may keep some people away (good for me).

Brian James Freeman
10-29-2012, 06:05 AM
I can't wait to see what Bill comes up with! I'm sure it'll be a beautiful edition.

texgunslinger
10-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Very exciting news. I know this one has been on a lot of people's wish lists. I've had great experiences with Sub Press before and I'm sure they'll deliver this time around. Does Bill ever contribute to the boards here? It would be nice to get updates and such like Brian gives from CD.

Ben Mears
10-29-2012, 06:16 AM
I emailed Bill this morning to ask if there would be any excised material included i.e. Before The Play/After The Play and here is his response:
At Steve's direction, the edition will only contain the novel proper. Despite that I'm sure it will be a well done limited.

Ben Staad
10-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Woot. I'm a gift edition kind of guy but this is still pretty exciting.

mae
10-29-2012, 07:16 AM
No Before the Play, no sale.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-29-2012, 07:21 AM
One of each please!

swintek
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Neat- Subpress will do a great job on this, I'm sure. Bummer about "Before The Play", though. We wait all this time for a limited and it wont contain an important piece that was even published in TV Guide? Still, I'm in for a gift, at least.

I'm getting old and forgetful- what is the status of "After The Play"? It's "lost", right? Didn't part of it appear in Whispers, or something? Help!

Ron

carlosdetweiller
10-29-2012, 07:51 AM
"After The Play" is supposedly lost, although I have an auction catalog from early 90's where it was apparently sold. I do not know its current owner.

"Before The Play" was published in the Stephen King issue of Whispers magazine. The later TV Guide appearance was not the complete version.

frik
10-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Gift edition: yes!
Numbered: yes!
Lettered: have to think about that one.....

sk

Bev Vincent
10-29-2012, 08:05 AM
My suspicion is that most of "After the Play" is used in The Shining, just not in its original standalone form.

Patrick
10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Exciting news! I hope to get a numbered edition. Despite the price, I'm sure they'll sell out quickly. I'd bet the Lettered editions don't last long either.

Is "Before The Play" very long? If it won't be included in the volume with the novel, it would be cool to have it in a thin unsigned companion volume.

Shannon
10-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I'll be buying a numbered edition. REALLY hope the image given isn't the cover though. Yuck.

Bev Vincent
10-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Is "Before The Play" very long? If it won't be included in the volume with the novel, it would be cool to have it in a thin unsigned companion volume.

It's about 6000 words.

mae
10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Not sure why everyone is so excited about this edition. Doesn't seem to be all that special, especially at these prices. The cover is very bland, and we'll have to see what the illustrations are like. I'm sure it will be a fine book overall, but with nothing new to offer, not even a new Afterword like the 25th Anniversary edition of It, this is an easy pass.

WeDealInLead
10-29-2012, 08:34 AM
It's a classic King book in a limited edition. That's pretty much the only selling point this particular book needs.

edit: 40 illustrations (!) is a nice bonus too.

mattgreenbean
10-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Very cool, but what's the bigger excitement for, a reprint of The Shining with 40 new illustrations or a new story in Dr. Sleep? Hmmm, I do like illustrations.

biomieg
10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm sure the cover 'art' is just a placeholder.

mae
I'm not a huge fan of illustrations. This isn't Winnie the Pooh. Just feels like a limited edition should offer something special other than the next of the novel you already have on your shelf in a great Doubleday first edition. Better cover art, too.

Shannon
Oh, Dr. Sleep, hands down.

mistercrowley
10-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Looking forward to this

herbertwest
10-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm sure the cover 'art' is just a placeholder.

i agree.

Garrell
10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Gonna get the limited edition:)

LostAlivE
10-29-2012, 09:41 AM
These books keep going up in price every time they release one. It won't be long before the #ed editions will be what the lettered editions used to be. I will be getting one of the #ed editions and one of the gift editions also. I am glad they won't be taking orders until January.
Anyone know if Dr Sleep will have a #ed edition or any thing?

Roseannebarr
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
52 lettered editions at that price sounds like alot. How many other editions have 52 lettered?

tippy4
10-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Many.

divemaster
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, but not at $2,500 I wouldn't think.

mosheprigan
10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
These books keep going up in price every time they release one. It won't be long before the #ed editions will be what the lettered editions used to be.

Yeah? I'm afraid it's going up in price only for us as we wouldn't find so easilly buyers for at least $3500-$4000 if we want to make some profits at some point later. Look in AbeBooks, Biblio & eBay - it takes MONTHS (or never) to find buyers for limiteds priced thousands of $. At the end you stay with it for your own pleasure. Sometimes Limiteds are a big problem vs. a regular edition's copy, flatsigned and rare due to low signing copies relative to high print-run (examples: Everything's Eventual, Cell, TWTKH Scribner ed.,etc). A very outstanding figure here in this site once wrote that a regular signed copy is RARER than the limited in certain circumstances, and is better get sold. Food for thought.

carlosdetweiller
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
All morning I have been wondering why they announced the book today but will not take orders until Jan. 2013? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this to me?

mosheprigan
10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
To let us take our time for saving money for this SOOOOOOO spendy item. Can't see another reason.

sgc1999
10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
i would go with the save your pennies reason.

Cutter
10-29-2012, 11:47 AM
All morning I have been wondering why they announced the book today but will not take orders until Jan. 2013? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this to me?

I would guess the economy has something to do with it, but I have no idea. Although, I'm glad Bill did it as I wouldn't be able to afford a copy right now, so now I can save up for it and I will have the money when its announced.

I do have to agree with others that no afterword, introduction or Before the Play, or any extra text at all is disappointing. But I will say that the artist is really quite amazing and I expect the illustrations to be top notch. The Neil Gaiman Hill House Publishing books done by her were nothing short of gorgeous. So it should be a beautiful book.

Jimimck
10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
FUCK YES!

I'm not a S/L collector, but I'm so going to try for one of these. And put me down for a gift edition too.

I am assuming that cover art is a placeholder as well....

Patrick
10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd guess it's because:

1. They wanted to control the news and may have been concerned about it leaking out elsewhere first.

2. As a small print publisher getting a project like this, I bet they are excited and it's fun to tell the people you know will appreciate it rather than sit on the secret longer than they already have.

and

3. The King people said they could announce.

If Subterranean is granted the rights to publish a DR. SLEEP limited edition down the road, is owning THE SHINING likely to give you first right of refusal for a matching number/letter? (I don't know how Subterranean operates when it comes to sequels.)

Patrick
10-29-2012, 01:10 PM

It's about 6000 words.
Thanks, Bev. Given the hefty prices of these editions, a "lesser" companion volume would have been nice.

carlosdetweiller
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd guess it's because:

1. They wanted to control the news and may have been concerned about it leaking out elsewhere first.

2. As a small print publisher getting a project like this, I bet they are excited and it's fun to tell the people you know will appreciate it rather than sit on the secret longer than they already have.

and

If Subterranean is granted the rights to publish a DR. SLEEP limited edition down the road, is owning THE SHINING likely to give you first right of refusal for a matching number/letter? (I don't know how Subterranean operates when it comes to sequels.)

Well, the news was already out to some extent so perhaps you are right on #1. And the other guesses are good too. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with taxes. For whatever reason Subterranean Press wants the income to occur in 2013 rather than 2012. The taxes on the pre-orders would be due April 15, 2013 if they started taking orders now vs. April 15, 2014 if they wait until Jan. 2013 to start taking orders. That is still just a guess on my part.

shaq
10-29-2012, 01:52 PM
I suppose announcing now will give SP lots of attention leading up to January and great opportunity to promote over the next 2 months, showing snippets of art and stuff, helping to sell those gift editions, although 1500 isn't that high, I'd imagine they sell pretty quickly?

Does the release of this book coincide with the release of Dr Sleep next year?. Very close timing. I do hope that SP get that ltd too, matching set.

I do like the thought of having a copy of this sitting next to my Salems Lot and It!

The Library Policeman
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Great news. Hoping to get a numbered and a gift. :)

Cutter
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM

From the years of buying sub press books I will say Bill is pretty good about keeping customer numbers for books published by Sub Press that are by the same author. I've received personal emails by Bill asking if I wanted to match a number if I forgot to request it. I would assume he would do the same if they got Dr. Sleep.

George at C-Springs
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Coincidently, I just finished reading The Shining for the first time last night (yes, yes, I know, scoff if you will). I never read it before because I saw the movie back as a teenager or something and just didn't like. The book was better, of course, and unsurprisingly not a whole lot like the movie (from what I remember anyway ... haven't watched it in many a moon). I wouldn't mind having a numbered of this, just because ... not even close to interested in a lettered at this price though.

I'm not a huge fan of illustrations. This isn't Winnie the Pooh.

Pablo, how about if Winnie the Pooh was swinging a mallet while going down the hallway? Come on all you artists and illustrators, I'd really like to see this!!!!!!!

CyberGhostface
10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Guess I'll wait and see how it looks and what the reviews say. The Shining's one of my favorite books and I loved the "Gift Edition" for CD's IT. I am a bit hesitant of getting another LE right after IT, though.

darkdiscoveries
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
"After The Play" is supposedly lost, although I have an auction catalog from early 90's where it was apparently sold. I do not know its current owner.

"Before The Play" was published in the Stephen King issue of Whispers magazine. The later TV Guide appearance was not the complete version.

I thought I heard that King used some of the ideas at least from the "After the Play" in the miniseries he did with Garris.

Yeah, without the "Before The Play" section and maybe an intro by King at least talking about the "After the Play" seems a bit pointless other than to have a nice signed HC of the book. A great one it is, but the special edition of Salem's Lot had the extras in it which certainly seemed more worth the high price tag. The special edition of IT also had the extra intro as well as a ton of art too and was a nice big book in a slipcase and/or traycase.

I wonder why King didn't want to use "Before the Play"? I always found it to be (in its Whispers form at least) an interesting insight into the hotel's history. Not necessary to the novel per se, but for something like this the perfect place to put it back in.

- James

Patrick
10-29-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd guess it's because:

and

Well, the news was already out to some extent so perhaps you are right on #1. And the other guesses are good too. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with taxes. For whatever reason Subterranean Press wants the income to occur in 2013 rather than 2012. The taxes on the pre-orders would be due April 15, 2013 if they started taking orders now vs. April 15, 2014 if they wait until Jan. 2013 to start taking orders. That is still just a guess on my part.
Delaying tax payments would be a good reason too. Smart thinking.

I suppose announcing now will give SP lots of attention leading up to January and great opportunity to promote over the next 2 months, showing snippets of art and stuff, helping to sell those gift editions, although 1500 isn't that high, I'd imagine they sell pretty quickly?
Good point as well.

From the years of buying sub press books I will say Bill is pretty good about keeping customer numbers for books published by Sub Press that are by the same author. I've received personal emails by Bill asking if I wanted to match a number if I forgot to request it. I would assume he would do the same if they got Dr. Sleep.
Thanks. I own a fair number of Sub Press books, but many were purchased on the secondary market. This is good to hear.

frik
10-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Gift edition: yes!
Numbered: yes!
Lettered: have to think about that one.....

sk

Did me some thinking...NO lettered ed. for me this time.

sk

Scoogs
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Good points.
Of course January is also the slowest retail month of the year (after Christmas returns). I can only imagine that it's even slower for a small press. Sub has now guaranteed themselves a very healthy number of sales in place of that slump.

I'm actually glad the pre-order is delayed a couple of months. That gives me time to recover from the last couple of remarques and have some cash saved up for this one.

Merlin1958
10-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Just my two cents, but this edition will have a ton of art comparatively and a "Limited" was never done for the original (Correct?). So, with "Dr. Sleep" due, which I am assuming will have a Limited, makes sense to issue a Ltd for the original now. Though I agree, he could have added something to it to make it more special. Guess he's getting older and just doesn't value the details as much?

Jimimck
10-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I've never purchased from Subterranean before. Do they take payment up front? Or upon shipping the book?

neosatus
10-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I've never purchased from Subterranean before. Do they take payment up front? Or upon shipping the book?

I asked this via the email provided at the website. They collect payment when the order is placed. So yeah, that's a long time to have our money ://

Jimimck
10-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for that.

I was curious as to the differences between the different editions, and asked what, if any, there may be (outside the obvious). This was the reply I received:

"The content in all three will be the same. The lettered will feature a different binding, and a Remarque by the artist."

I had specifically asked if there would be different cover art, but as you can see, there is no confirmation or otherwise.

neosatus
10-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks for that.

I was curious as to the differences between the different editions, and asked what, if any, there may be (outside the obvious). This was the reply I received:

"The content in all three will be the same. The lettered will feature a different binding, and a Remarque by the artist."

I had specifically asked if there would be different cover art, but as you can see, there is no confirmation or otherwise.

That's actually a really good question. SP isn't especially known for their "exterior" of books (i.e. dust jackets, slip/tray cases etc.)
So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the covers were all the same and on the drab side.

Then again, it is a SK title so maybe they will go all out.

Ben Mears
10-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Thanks for that.

That's actually a really good question. SP isn't especially known for their "exterior" of books (i.e. dust jackets, slip/tray cases etc.)
So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the covers were all the same and on the drab side.

Then again, it is a SK title so maybe they will go all out.

My guess is the artist will be doing a cover painting along with the interiors.

JasonUK
10-30-2012, 05:53 AM
I posted my thoughts on this at another forum, but thought I would share them here too.

As the limited edition is signed by King and is also traycased, presumably the extra $2,000 for the lettered will be solely used for higher quality materials.

Unless it's another price gouge similar to the one Gauntlet tried with their King-signed lettered edition of Masques Illustrated. Only 52 copies at $1500, but still available on their website despite discounts offered in their newsletter.

Even if it is the later, I think Sub Press might get away with it because The Shining is such a treasured book.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Antholgies don't seem to have the same appeal as novels.

Cutter
10-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining. Also if you bought Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and/or Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles from Sub Press it'll also give you an idea. All these were high priced books (the Green Mile was ridiculously priced), but also high quality publications from Sub Press - they were crafted much better than the usual Sub Press Limited Editions - and I expect the same for this type of money (I'll be severely disappointed if not). Also of note, none of these books used dust jackets, and I'm glad they did not, as the books themselves were very attractive and a dust jacket would have made them look like a regular book.

Lauterer
10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
So what do yu think... to expensive or not??? 3500 is a lot of money

Randall Flagg
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I think the Lettered is more than I can afford, but given their production values in the past, Sub Press will sell them fairly quickly. With 40 illustrations and one of King's iconic books there won't be copies offered at 67% off.

Fsmdr
10-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining. Also if you bought Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and/or Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles from Sub Press it'll also give you an idea. All these were high priced books (the Green Mile was ridiculously priced), but also high quality publications from Sub Press - they were crafted much better than the usual Sub Press Limited Editions - and I expect the same for this type of money (I'll be severely disappointed if not). Also of note, none of these books used dust jackets, and I'm glad they did not, as the books themselves were very attractive and a dust jacket would have made them look like a regular book.

I was just thinking about the Lettered Green Mile too. Was there any copy of the lettered Green Mile that was resold at all in the secondary market?. I don't believe I remember seeing any.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I was just thinking about the Lettered Green Mile too. Was there any copy of the lettered Green Mile that was resold at all in the secondary market?. I don't believe I remember seeing any.

I've seen several. I bought mine on the secondary market. Betts have sold 2 since David took over.

Fsmdr
10-30-2012, 11:48 AM

I've seen several. I bought mine on the secondary market. Betts have sold 2 since David took over.

How was the secondary value price on those?. If you don't mind.

JasonUK
10-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Antholgies don't seem to have the same appeal as novels.

The point I'm making, is not whether the books will sell, which I'm positive they will, but whether the quality of the materials used for the lettered edition will justify $2,500.

JasonUK
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining.

That would be very worrying. The limited of The Green Mile is much better quality than the lettered IMO. The limiteds are quarter bound in leather, the lettereds are just cloth.

mattgreenbean
10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Well, I'll have a nice little Shining collection when I get this and my Overlook Connection set. http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/doctor-sleep-before-play-shining-p-6988.html

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Lettered "LL" sold for $2000
Lettered "Q" sold for $2500

I paid $2200 for mine.

Ben Mears
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I have - she's done some illustrations for Neil Gaiman S/L editions - Anansi Boys and Melinda

Art is a very subjective medium and it can be difficult to find a balance between expectations and execution. Based on her website samples I'm not convinced Dagmara Matuszak is the right artist for The Shining. Part of that concern is on the sheer number of pieces (40) that are to be included in the book. Sometimes less is more and my preference would be for a cover image, title page image, and five part opener images. The Shining is a very stark, stripped down story and the art should reflect that mood. I was fortunate to see much of the design Centipede Press had planned for their limited of The Shining and that is the standard I will measure the Subterranean version against. Not a criticism; just an observation.

Fsmdr
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Lettered "LL" sold for $2000
Lettered "Q" sold for $2500

I paid $2200 for mine.

Appreciate the info, Mr R.T

Merlin1958
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I may go for the GE, but not too enthused by this edition. If you want more art, there are still a few of these available...

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

The more I think about it the more I agree with others. There should be new content!!

Merlin1958
10-30-2012, 05:54 PM
In light of recent news....

Bump?

The Library Policeman
10-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a wee sneaky feeling SP will be doing a limited edition of this one too, Bill. I've been wrong before though!

Merlin1958
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I have a wee sneaky feeling SP will be doing a limited edition of this one too, Bill. I've been wrong before though!

Exactly what I was thinking. Or maybe CD? Hint, hint!!!

Edit:

Should be Cemetery Dance IMHO

Scoogs
10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
I guess this means I should finally read The Shining. :eek:

Jimimck
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
OMG!

Go and read it NOW!

Jimimck
10-30-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't know if I can afford 2 x $450!

Bad Penny
10-30-2012, 08:50 PM
:panic:

becca69
10-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Hopefully I'll be able to snag a limited but that lettered better be encrusted in diamonds or something
(I guess the limited would only have cubic zirconia) :P

frik
10-31-2012, 06:24 AM
I own one of SubPress' lettereds - it's a very nice edition, but I can't even begin to imagine what they'll have to come up with to justify spending $2500.00! For now, it's a no-show for me.

sk

The Library Policeman
10-31-2012, 08:26 AM
If I could afford to collect Lettered editions I would. Some of them are amazing.

jhanic
10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I just can't justify the cost to myself.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
I own one of SubPress' lettereds - it's a very nice edition, but I can't even begin to imagine what they'll have to come up with to justify spending $2500.00! For now, it's a no-show for me.

sk

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/green_4.jpg

BigCoffinHunter
10-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining.

That would be very worrying. The limited of The Green Mile is much better quality than the lettered IMO. The limiteds are quarter bound in leather, the lettereds are just cloth.

I disagree. When I got the limited edition I was very disappointed with the look and quality (the "leather" used for the design seemed cheap and gaudy - I much preferred the unsigned edition over the limited), so much so that I sold my limited and upgraded to a lettered instead. Again, opinions regarding quality are bound to be subjective, but I was much happier with the lettered edition (I really loved the marbled covers). Either way, I'm sure Subterranean Press will come up with an interesting design that will hopefully somewhat justify the price.

BigCoffinHunter
10-31-2012, 03:58 PM

Art is a very subjective medium and it can be difficult to find a balance between expectations and execution. Based on her website samples I'm not convinced Dagmara Matuszak is the right artist for The Shining. Part of that concern is on the sheer number of pieces (40) that are to be included in the book. Sometimes less is more and my preference would be for a cover image, title page image, and five part opener images. The Shining is a very stark, stripped down story and the art should reflect that mood. I was fortunate to see much of the design Centipede Press had planned for their limited of The Shining and that is the standard I will measure the Subterranean version against. Not a criticism; just an observation.

I have to imagine Jerad was pissed, or at the very least extremely disappointed, to hear that Subterranean Press is publishing this...

Merlin1958
10-31-2012, 06:57 PM

I hear that!!! I would pass on the sub press and go for the Dr. Sleep Ltd at those prices.

Merlin1958
10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
I guess this means I should finally read The Shining. :eek:

Ummm, Yeah!!! One of his best books!!!

Roseannebarr
10-31-2012, 07:52 PM

I hear that!!! I would pass on the sub press and go for the Dr. Sleep Ltd at those prices.

I would do just the opposite! The shining scared me to death when i was younger. I dont stay at hotels becuz of that book! DR Sleep appears to have run into some trouble, editing or otherwise, why else would they pospone for 9 or so months! The Shining is one of my top 3 favorite books.

Merlin1958
10-31-2012, 07:57 PM

I would do just the opposite! The shining scared me to death when i was younger. I dont stay at hotels becuz of that book! DR Sleep appears to have run into some trouble, editing or otherwise, why else would they pospone for 9 or so months! The Shining is one of my top 3 favorite books.

Well of course, to each his/her own!!! Course, you really don't know what horrors "Dr. Sleep" has in store!!!

biomieg
11-01-2012, 03:56 AM
The lettered GREEN MILE is beautiful but I would never pay > $2,000 for a book only because it has great production values. Whereas I would gladly pay hundreds of dollars for an obscure college-era magazine with a short story by Mr King. Weird, huh?

It's scarcity/obscurity that makes my collector's heart tick, I guess... not top-notch materials and King's signature. Although I do like some of the 'classic' S/Ls and the Philtrum Press books.

But back on topic: I guess SubPress will have to come up with an awesome limited if they want to surpass what Centipede could have done.

Roseannebarr
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Can anyone find any information about the Shining on Subterannean Press website? Am I missing something? DO i smell a conspiracy?

Ben Mears
12-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Can anyone find any information about the Shining on Subterannean Press website? Am I missing something? DO i smell a conspiracy?

As I understand it there will be a formal announcement/order opportunity in January.

Roseannebarr
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM

As I understand it there will be a formal announcement/order opportunity in January.

i would of thought that they would have had it in their news section, or a frontline banner or something! I only see it on the SK website.

Dan
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
This is all they have right now Link (http://subterraneanpress.com/featured_titles/announcing_stephen_kings_the_shiningsigned_limited _edition)

Roseannebarr
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
This is all they have right now Link (http://subterraneanpress.com/featured_titles/announcing_stephen_kings_the_shiningsigned_limited _edition)

Thanks for finding that for me. I was getting worried somebody changed their minds.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

http://subterraneanpress.com/featured_titles/announcing_stephen_kings_the_shiningsigned_limited _edition

texgunslinger
12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
RF,
I can't open that link. What does it go to?

Never mind..I got it to work.

carlosdetweiller
12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't see any link.

Randall Flagg
12-18-2012, 12:57 PM
http://subterraneanpress.com/featured_titles/announcing_stephen_kings_the_shiningsigned_limited _edition

Randall Flagg
12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
My apologies. I screwed up and merged two threads that shouldn't have been merged. I had to "re-create" the thread for The Shining S/L and cull the posts from the merged thread.
Baically a major screw up on my part. It happens on message boards (at least to me:eek: )

Pasiuk57
12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
The lettered is crazy priced....

Pasiuk57
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
But I bet it sells out of course...

herbertwest
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Nothing new so far, am i wrong?

ChristineB
12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
All I have to say is for $2500, that had better not be the cover of the book. I wouldn't even pay $95 for the artists edition if that is the cover.

herbertwest
12-19-2012, 02:35 AM
This is a temporary picture.

Jimimck
12-26-2012, 03:33 PM
So has everyone been saving their pennies for the preorder?

AKC
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Indeed I have been! When is the preorder date?

Anybody have insight?

Cook
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
So has everyone been saving their pennies for the preorder?

:thumbsup:

Merlin1958
12-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Indeed I have been! When is the preorder date?

Anybody have insight?

Sometime in January. RF posted the link up thread.

Roseannebarr
12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I asked when they expect to start taking orders. This was Bill's reply.

Hi.

We're not ready to announce the date yet.

Best,

Bill

killbourne
12-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Stephen King—On Sale Date Announced for The Shining Signed Limited Edition

December 31st, 2012

We've nailed down the last details, and are happy to let you know that the Signed, Limited Edition of Stephen King's The Shining will go on sale at approximately 12:00 PM on Wednesday, January 23, 2013.

There is one change to note. Gabriel Rodriguez (of the current comic series Locke & Key) will be illustrating the volume.

As a reminder, we'll be publishing the book in three unique editions:

Lettered: 52 signed copies, specially bound, housed in a custom traycase: $2500
Limited: 750 signed numbered copies, housed in a custom traycase: $450
Gift: 1500 unsigned copies, housed in a custom slipcase: $95

killbourne
12-31-2012, 06:35 AM
So, that is what, 4am for us in CA?

Randall Flagg
12-31-2012, 06:41 AM
If it is Noon Eastern time it would be 9am in California.

Ben Mears
12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
So, that is what, 4am for us in CA?

I believe SP is located in Michigan so noon EST would be 9am on the west coast.

killbourne
12-31-2012, 06:51 AM
4=9, on my computer,obviously. :) . On another note, I completely zoned out and was thinking of PS pub.

AKC
12-31-2012, 07:08 AM
$2,500 bucks.......UGH.

George at C-Springs
12-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Figures. I'm going to be in Florida for work that week, in a secure space radar facility ... so no cell phones and no internet access. I'll ask now, because I'll need the favor ... will someone be willing to order me an S/L? I'll be happy to transfer funds ahead of time.

Hopefully they're not going to be limiting the number of copies you can order.

George

mistercrowley
12-31-2012, 07:50 AM
It has special materials isn't that enough AKC!!!???? Damn collectors (tongue in cheek. I think the price is ludicrous.)

Tony
12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
The blog post has been updated with what looks like a pretty recent pic of SK himself:

http://subterraneanpress.com/news/stephen_king_on_sale_date_announced_for_the_shinin g_signed_limited_edition

ChristineB
12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Says the lettered will be "specially bound". With What? better be gold thread for that price. But, it will sell out, wouldn't suprise me if it did in the first hour. SK fans are true fanatics :)

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 09:15 AM
true that:)

Cook
12-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Does anybody have any opinions on Gabriel Rodriguez's artwork?

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 09:50 AM

Gabes work is reliable:). He is an amazing story teller with his art, but his free hand skill is good, not great!! I have a LOT of remarqued drawings and artwork from a slew of artists and Gabes work is very solid along with the likes of Mark Geyer, mckean, and such.
The locke and key lettered editions come with original art from Him.

WeDealInLead
12-31-2012, 10:11 AM

It's alright for comic books but I'd rather see someone else (BETTER) in a $450/$2500 book. What works in comic books doesn't necessarily work in real books see colour plates in TWTTK by Jae Lee. Those backgrounds are laughable.

I guess what I'm trying to say politely is that the choice is rather unfortunate. What I really mean is that the choice is pure shit and I'm sick of photoshop and lifeless surfaces, overaccentuated facial features and I miss when artists used real ink, penciles, brushes etc. and not their computer mouse and OMG, layering in photoshop.

For the record, I like his art in Locke and Key and have commented on this a long time ago. As an artist, he is not just in the same league as Whelan, it's not even the same universe.

Robert Fulman
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
This argument always bugs me, because it ignores the fact that art is very subjective. I look at the art work by Lee, Anderson, and McKean, and I don't too much difference between them. To my eye, the backgrounds don't look more or less laughable in any of them (all three said, "I'll just throw a few clouds back there..."), and Lee's work certainly isn't more digital than Anderson's:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3049/darktowerart.jpg

Fsmdr
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Is that 12pm EST?.

Edit: never mind, saw the previous posts.

mistercrowley
12-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I like Rodriguez's art but I'm not sure if it will suit the subject matter of The Shining. I think Jae Lee did a very good with TWTTKH. His style was perfect for the story.

Fsmdr
12-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't like those digitalized illustrations myself. I would have voted for Bernie Wrightson for The Shining.

Ben Staad
12-31-2012, 11:18 AM
I hated the idea of Jae Lee providing the artwork for TWTTKH before I read the book. After reading the story his artwork (to me) ended up fitting the subject matter very well. Hopefully whatever the publisher and the artist have planned for The Shining will equally hit the mark.

I would prefer artwork from one of the tried and true SK artists for this book but I'm willing to give this a shot. Of course I wont be shelling out the really big bucks for the S/L or the limited. A gift edition is potentially in my future if I have the funds but that is all.

WeDealInLead
12-31-2012, 11:24 AM
This argument always bugs me, because it ignores the fact that art is very subjective. I look at the art work by Lee, Anderson, and McKean, and I don't too much difference between them. To my eye, the backgrounds don't look more or less laughable in any of them (all three said, "I'll just throw a few clouds back there..."), and Lee's work certainly isn't more digital than Anderson's:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3049/darktowerart.jpg

Agreed on Anderson, he's not my favourite either. I do see a world of difference between McKean's sky (and illustration) and Lee though.

herbertwest
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Stephen King—On Sale Date Announced for The Shining Signed Limited Edition

December 31st, 2012

We've nailed down the last details, and are happy to let you know that the Signed, Limited Edition of Stephen King's The Shining will go on sale at approximately 12:00 PM on Wednesday, January 23, 2013.

There is one change to note. Gabriel Rodriguez (of the current comic series Locke & Key) will be illustrating the volume.

- What time for London?
- Anyone have an estimation for overseas shipping?

So it will go for sale at the end of the month, before the new wage :-/

swintek
12-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Yes, and it isn't good. I'm a comic book freak, and LOVE all of Joe Hill's stuff- but couldn't get past this guy's art to even read through a whole issue of Lock & Key. It's terrible. His style- especially when it comes to characters- is way too "cartoon-y", almost anime-like. This is a horrible choice for The Shining, and I can't help but wonder what anybody sees in this guy's very sophomoric art. It's just really...uninspiring in every way. How's that for an opinion!

Oh, but what could've been with Centipede and J.K. Potter! (no offense to SubPress- who I love, but this artist is a bad choice for a really important book like this, imho).

Ron

Randall Flagg
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
- What time for London?

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Whelan and wrightson dont get the jobs because they are to big and to expensive for publishers to afford. Jae Lee is a fantastic artist and can actually draw wonderfully. He does not rely on computer graphics like say Vinny Chong. I would compare Gabriel to the likes of Mark Geyer or Jill bauman but better. here are a couple of free hand remarques he has done that i have.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/IMG_6534_zpsfdad9dfc.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/IMG_6531_zpsd66ef060.jpg

and for any doubters of Jae lee's abilitys here is one of his freehand drawings for dark tower series. Hand drawn.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/LongRoadHome120p23-24_zps82ce7e9e.jpg

Randall Flagg
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Sorry to offend, but those GR remarques look like something I have seen street artists on Fisherman's Wharf do for tourists.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/hleon/2010/05/11/caricature_6_0.jpg&sa=X&ei=t__hUJiMCILkqQHRwYCoCA&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGAwGCRW2FN0g0pjdgHGmQjUCuCYQ

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Ya, im not disagreeing that Gabe is more of a comic drawing, good, not great free hand artist. I do however think Jae Lee is an unbelievable artist and will eventually be ranked with the Whelans and Wrightsons of the world.

WeDealInLead
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't doubt Jae Lee's ability to draw. I mentioned colour plates on purpose because those backgrounds ARE photoshopped 100%. My other point was that comic book style art won't work for a book of The Shining's calibre.

Disagree on Whelan being too expensive for SubPress. He's illustrating a brand new novella for McCammon which will be a harder sell than a classic by King.

jhanic
12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll wait until I see some of the drawings before I make a judgement.

John

WeDealInLead
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Here are first five images from Google, so there's no discriminating and picking just the images I find ugly:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/locke20key20hg20v.jpg

http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/locke-key-05.jpg

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/18863/2688638-locke_key_1_welcome_to_lovecraft_hc_w_logos.jpg

http://joeblogscomics.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/locke-and-key-graphic-novel-panels1.jpg

http://thecomixverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/LockeKey_KeystotheKingdom03_preview008.jpg

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Gabe Will be fine for NAS4A2 but i think whelan, wrightson, or Lee would have been a MUCH better choice for this book!
Maybe he will step up??? I hope so, for the rdiculous amount of money they are charging.

AKC
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I am planning on buying the Lettered, S/L and Gift (because the Shining is one of my favorite King books).....

All this talk of "cartoonish / comic book art" and inferiority of Rodriguez is depressing given that $3,000 is at stake.

I hope, hope, hope that he surprises us all....

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
I hear that! :)

WeDealInLead
12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope, hope, hope that he surprises us all....

Ditto.

Ben Mears
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM

Oh, but what could've been with Centipede and J.K. Potter! (no offense to SubPress- who I love, but this artist is a bad choice for a really important book like this, imho).

Ron
Ron,

You beat me to it. If I were Bill I would contact Jerad & JK Potter and make arrangements to use the art and design they had planned for the Centipede version. Nothing wrong with a little collaboration for the greater good of the product. As you said The Shining is too important of a book for a comic artist and from what I saw of Potter's work on the Centipede project it fit the mood of the book very well.

Tony
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Yes, and it isn't good. I'm a comic book freak, and LOVE all of Joe Hill's stuff- but couldn't get past this guy's art to even read through a whole issue of Lock & Key. It's terrible. His style- especially when it comes to characters- is way too "cartoon-y", almost anime-like. This is a horrible choice for The Shining, and I can't help but wonder what anybody sees in this guy's very sophomoric art. It's just really...uninspiring in every way. How's that for an opinion!

Ron

Again, this just shows how subjective art is, I really, really dislike JK Potter's work.

killbourne
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Any opinions about the possible re-sale value of the s/l?

AKC
12-31-2012, 05:22 PM
In my opinion, the resale market will be strong for a longer period of time.

If nothing else, the Shining resonates perhaps more than any other King piece with the "general public" due to the success of the Kubrick film and Jack Nicholson's role as Jack Torrance.

My parents know of Stephen King as the guy who wrote the Shining that Jack Nicholson played in.....The Shining is one of the most well-known books by King to the "non-collector" when compared to others. When I told my parents of the Limited Edition, they were emphatic that I HAD to get it! "That was his best book!"

For that reason, I think it will hold it's value perhaps longer than say "IT" which is known well within the King Collecting community but not much outside of that....

For that reason, the Shining may have a broader re-sale market to the "general public" once the collector's gather up the Limiteds.....

IMO of course.....

cit74
12-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. It was nice to hear an actual date for the pre-order. However, I was a bit disappointed that Dagmara will not be doing the artwork, alas art is subjective, but I did enjoy her work on Melinda. I imagine that Joe had some help in suggesting Gabriel - since as mentioned above they've worked together. It would be nice if they could post at least one of Gabriel's pieces for the book before the pre-order...not that that is likely to stop anyone from purchasing a copy.

sgc1999
12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. It was nice to hear an actual date for the pre-order. However, I was a bit disappointed that Dagmara will not be doing the artwork, alas art is subjective, but I did enjoy her work on Melinda. I imagine that Joe had some help in suggesting Gabriel - since as mentioned above they've worked together. It would be nice if they could post at least one of Gabriel's pieces for the book before the pre-order...not that that is likely to stop anyone from purchasing a copy.

Good points!
welcome to the site, heres a link thats helpful to get peolpe here acquainted better at first. Very cool to have you here:)
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?67-Introduce-yourself&highlight=members

Fsmdr
12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Talking about illustrative artist, what do you guys think of Jerry Uelsmann?. I like his work in the Centipede Press Salem's Lot so much that I bought an art book by him.

herbertwest
01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
- What time for London?

thanks

killbourne
01-01-2013, 03:36 PM
In my opinion, the resale market will be strong for a longer period of time.

If nothing else, the Shining resonates perhaps more than any other King piece with the "general public" due to the success of the Kubrick film and Jack Nicholson's role as Jack Torrance.

My parents know of Stephen King as the guy who wrote the Shining that Jack Nicholson played in.....The Shining is one of the most well-known books by King to the "non-collector" when compared to others. When I told my parents of the Limited Edition, they were emphatic that I HAD to get it! "That was his best book!"

For that reason, I think it will hold it's value perhaps longer than say "IT" which is known well within the King Collecting community but not much outside of that....

For that reason, the Shining may have a broader re-sale market to the "general public" once the collector's gather up the Limiteds.....

IMO of course.....
You are probably right. It just concerns me that the intial price may be a little on the high side for anyone that wants to re-sale quickly.

Merlin1958
01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
If anyone is searching for a Birthday gift for Merlin1958 (9/5) The S/L The Shining would be a really good idea...

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Otherwise, GE here!!!

Jimimck
01-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Hmmm good idea. My birthday is the 27th, so someone could just email me confirmation of a numbered preorder in my name....

CyberGhostface
01-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Gabriel Rodriguez makes sense for NOS4A2 just because he's worked with Joe Hill for so long but he's definitely not an artist who I'd associate with something like The Shining. Still I'm interested to see what he does with it.

Ben Mears
01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Talking about illustrative artist, what do you guys think of Jerry Uelsmann?. I like his work in the Centipede Press Salem's Lot so much that I bought an art book by him.

The Uelsmann images in the Centipede 'Salem's Lot were very good, especially the one used for the Marsten House. I found them to be subtle and thought provoking.

sgc1999
01-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Gabriel Rodriguez makes sense for NOS4A2 just because he's worked with Joe Hill for so long but he's definitely not an artist who I'd associate with something like The Shining. Still I'm interested to see what he does with it.

I think Glenn Chadbourne should have gotten a shot at NAS4A2.

mistercrowley
01-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Not me his work just does nothing for me. It's alittle too over the top

sgc1999
01-02-2013, 08:51 AM
I think Glenn is more diverse than he gets credit for. Heres a peice he did for me based on an exerp from NAS4A2. I think it came out pretty nice. You cant see the actual detail in this picture but it is amazing. Better than the peice thats out from Gabe.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/IMG_5930_zps4b7387b6.jpg

just kidding that was Joe's art:tongue1:

heres Glenns

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/joehillNAS4A2GlennChadbourne_zps09fe004e.jpg

Dan
01-02-2013, 09:10 AM
OK, I stared at that picture for nearly a full minute trying to figure out the joke. Then I scrolled down and saw the real photo. Very cool art from Glenn. I think it captures elements of the book very nicely.

TwistedNadine
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
My other point was that comic book style art won't work for a book of The Shining's calibre.

Read thru this thread - very interesting and appreciate the comments and viewpoints. After seeing examples of his work I would have to agree with WeDealInLead (and some of the other members). Unless his style changes dramatically for The Shining Im not too excited

Randall Flagg
01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Glenn nailed it. WOW!

Stockerlone
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Are there any other Shining remarques / orignial drawings from other SK artist´s?
The only that i know is my Gerhard Axmann remarque.
http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/pictures/Random_remarques/shining-large.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Only 52 others that I know of:
http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/login.php

http://thedarktower.systeminplace.net/images/L.jpg

Stockerlone
01-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Of cause..:smile_002: ,,,,
OTHER then the 52 Glenn Chadbourne and Erin Wells and ONE Gerhard Axmann ?

Randall Flagg
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Of cause..:smile_002: ,,,,
OTHER then the 52 Glenn Chadbourne and Erin Wells and ONE Gerhard Axmann ?
Quite a few more as a proposal from Centipede press...
Which obviously will never be.

carlosdetweiller
01-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Jerad had already commissioned some artwork for THE SHINING. And I'll bet more were on the way. We will never know what would have (could have) been.

Douglas Smith (known for his woodcut artwork for the dj's for WICKED) had turned in a couple of nice pieces.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/dougsmithjackboilerroom-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/dougsmithhedgelions-1.jpg

Jeff Potter had turned in a nice pair of images.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/pottertopiaryframed1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/potteroverlookframed1-1.jpg

I think that this Wrightson from the interior of the TV Guide would also have been used.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wrightsontvguideshining-1.jpg

It would have been nice to see what else Jerad could have used. I'm sure they would have been nice ones.

I'm sure Sub Press will put out a nice edition but I doubt it will be anything really exceptional. Jerad's, on the other hand, was shaping up into something pretty fantastic.

neosatus
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Wow, except for the last one, those are incredible. There's no way Rodriguez is going to do anything close to as good as those. I'd love to be proven wrong but his comic art is just rushed and trashy. Maybe that's not all he can do but if the same style is carried over to The Shining it could be one of the bigger mistakes we've seen in recent publication.

Bad Penny
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Stunning art RF :D

Merlin1958
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
FWIW

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

Though it doesn't show here, there are still Erin Wells pieces out on consignment that are marked as "Sold" so if you happen to see something you like just drop Dolso a PM

Randall Flagg
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Jerad had already commissioned some artwork for THE SHINING. And I'll bet more were on the way. We will never know what would have (could have) been.

Douglas Smith (known for his woodcut artwork for the dj's for WICKED) had turned in a couple of nice pieces.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/dougsmithjackboilerroom-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/dougsmithhedgelions-1.jpg

The Smith woodcut images are something to behold. Potter is cool, but it's a photo/photoshopped mashup.
The Smith images are powerful!

jon10g
01-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Carlos
May I ask why the Parallax View is in the shelf with your King books?
Jon

carlosdetweiller
01-03-2013, 05:33 AM
Carlos
Jon

You have a sharp eye. That shelf is full of "association copies." Short back story: When King was trying to get his first book published he sent blind inquiries to many publishers. Since Doubleday had published THE PARALLAX VIEW he thought they might be interested in his style of writing since King thought there were some similarities between the book and GETTING IT ON (later RAGE). So he sent a letter to Doubleday addressed simply: "To the editor of THE PARALLAX VIEW." That editor had moved on to another job or publishing house so the letter fell to William G. Thompson who was then head of Special Projects. The rest, as they say, is history. Although not strictly a King book this book is a very special one in my collection. The book he refers to as NIGHT MOVES had a later title change to SKELETON CREW.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/parallaxviewcover.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/parallaxviewinscription.jpg

Tito_Villa
01-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Great story Bob!

Ben Mears
01-03-2013, 05:52 AM

Jeff Potter had turned in a nice pair of images.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/pottertopiaryframed1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/potteroverlookframed1-1.jpg

I think that this Wrightson from the interior of the TV Guide would also have been used.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/wrightsontvguideshining-1.jpg

It would have been nice to see what else Jerad could have used. I'm sure they would have been nice ones.

I'm sure Sub Press will put out a nice edition but I doubt it will be anything really exceptional. Jerad's, on the other hand, was shaping up into something pretty fantastic.

The Doug Smith images are pretty cool but the Potter images have a remoteness better suited to the atmosphere of the the story. Of course it's art and subjective so opinions will vary. From my perspective I'm more interested in images that capture a vibe than reproducing a particular scene. That's why I prefer title page and part opener art over art depicting specific events. I tend to believe less is more and part opener art keeps the number of images to a minimum. I would rather have a half dozen really good, thought provoking images scattered throughout a book than 20-25 that run the risk of becoming tedious and mediocre.

Ben Mears
01-03-2013, 05:55 AM
Carlos
Jon

You have a sharp eye. That shelf is full of "association copies." Short back story: When King was trying to get his first book published he sent blind inquiries to many publishers. Since Doubleday had published THE PARALLAX VIEW he thought they might be interested in his style of writing since King thought there were some similarities between the book and GETTING IT ON (later RAGE). So he sent a letter to Doubleday addressed simply: "To the editor of THE PARALLAX VIEW." That editor had moved on to another job or publishing house so the letter fell to William G. Thompson who was then head of Special Projects. The rest, as they say, is history. Although not strictly a King book this book is a very special one in my collection. The book he refers to as NIGHT MOVES had a later title change to SKELETON CREW.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/parallaxviewinscription.jpg

Very cool. Thanks Bob.

Bev Vincent
01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
From Subterranean:

We've nailed down the last details, and are happy to let you know that the Signed, Limited Edition of Stephen King's The Shining will go on sale at approximately 12:00 PM, EST, on Wednesday, January 23, 2013.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-03-2013, 08:53 AM

I think I may give this a miss.

Roseannebarr
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Carlos
Jon

Very cool. Thanks Bob.

awesome! i would love something like that!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Great inscription Bob.

Bev Vincent
01-03-2013, 09:09 AM

I think I may give this a miss.

Here's the cover he did for NOS4A2

http://subterraneanpress.com/uploads/NOS4A2_by_Joe_Hill.jpg

jon10g
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Amazing story Bob. Your collection is truly remarkable.
Jon

TwistedNadine
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Really love that Bob and appreciate the post.
Got any more association copies / inscriptions to share? Would love to see them

ChristineB
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I hope this artist will do the text justice, I have to say though, this time I am kinda happy I don't collect the s/l's. Not sure I could shell out this kind of money for a comic artist's edition.

As usual, if you need someone to get one of these for you, I am available, would just need the money upfront in paypal a day or two in advance. Assuming this place takes paypal.

AKC
01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Does anybody have "connections" at SubPress that could get us a "sneak peek" of the artist renditions. That being said, given publication date of late 2013, the illustrations are probably not done yet....

What was I thinking.....

Merlin1958
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Carlos
Jon

Awesome!!! And that is why, Bob will not do two shows a night. He just won't do it!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPDk3iwb_M

Fsmdr
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Does anybody have "connections" at SubPress that could get us a "sneak peek" of the artist renditions. That being said, given publication date of late 2013, the illustrations are probably not done yet....

What was I thinking.....

That would be really nice. I also wish the Subpress website has a small gallery of illustrations by him, to give the collectors an idea of the images. It's such a mystery what the work would be like in this book.

Robert Fulman
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3442/theshiningsl.jpg

AKC
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
:rolleyes1:

Can you imagine if.......

Wonder if they would accept returns....

Fsmdr
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM

:mad1::ft::frown1::rolleyes1:

neosatus
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Haha, I was going to say.. I hope none of the artwork is done yet is he seemingly just got the job, and if there are finished examples they would probably look like ^that^ crappy rushed comic book stuff.

ChristineB
01-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Thanks, now I will never get that image out of my head. :P

Bev Vincent
01-04-2013, 03:11 AM
Analogy: Jae Lee and The Wind Through the Keyhole.

AKC
01-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Consider me now officially "terrified" at the thought of dropping $3k on 1/23 with the high likelihood of being disappointed with the Illustrations/Artwork contained within.......

SubPress, if you are out there, ease our concerns......your incoming sales revenue on 1/23 in support of this release may be impacted.

Yes, I know, they will sell out anyway.....

neosatus
01-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Analogy: Jae Lee and The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Bad analogy. Jae Lee is an awesome artist. It's hard to even compare the level of art he did for the DT comics with the awful Locke & Key garbage. Just my opinion though.

neosatus
01-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Consider me now officially "terrified" at the thought of dropping $3k on 1/23 with the high likelihood of being disappointed with the Illustrations/Artwork contained within.......

SubPress, if you are out there, ease our concerns......your incoming sales revenue on 1/23 in support of this release may be impacted.

Yes, I know, they will sell out anyway.....

Yeah, on title alone they will sell. But how many people will be pissed and never want to buy from then again as a result? The long term effects might not be so awesome for them in that case.

Dan
01-04-2013, 04:46 AM
At the risk of getting chastised, I like his art. I liked the Locke & Key artwork. Maybe not what was expected for The Shining, but I am fine with the decision.

namelessnpoor
01-04-2013, 04:48 AM
I plan to get back into buying S/L and wil be starting with this one since i can get it at issue price. I certainly hope the artwork is nothng like that, I hope its true art work, as in drawn !! A book as classic as The Shining deserves much more than some computer generated comic book esque junk ! ART

mikeC
01-04-2013, 07:26 AM
I plan to get back into buying S/L and wil be starting with this one since i can get it at issue price. I certainly hope the artwork is nothng like that, I hope its true art work, as in drawn !! A book as classic as The Shining deserves much more than some computer generated comic book esque junk !
Haha, you mean like this?
http://subterraneanpress.com/uploads/king_a6_b.jpg

Just because you're not a fan doesn't make it junk.
Just like someone said earlier that art is subjective and it totally is. There's no reason to call it garbage or terrible just because it doesn't fit what you think art is or that it's not the right person for the story that you envisioned.
We're not talking about putting up huge towel blowing in the wind in central park or a toilet seat hanging on a wall and calling it art here.
Creating art is hard work and takes talent. Just because you use a computer to create it doesn't mean it sucks. Plus there's a whole process before it even makes the final stage that involves drawing and painting that you would probably like before it made it's glossy page stage.
There's been a bunch of Artist editions recently with artists that I didn't like AT ALL but I don't come in here and start calling it Junk.
This guy's stuff isn't really my favorite either but hey watchoo gonna do?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-04-2013, 07:54 AM
but hey watchoo gonna do?

Spend your money on something else?

namelessnpoor
01-04-2013, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=namelessnpoor;745615]I plan to get back into buying S/L and wil be starting with this one since i can get it at issue price. I certainly hope the artwork is nothng like that, I hope its true art work, as in drawn !! A book as classic as The Shining deserves much more than some computer generated comic book esque junk ![/ARTQUOTE]
Haha, you mean like this?
http://subterraneanpress.com/uploads/king_a6_b.jpg

Just because you're not a fan doesn't make it junk.
Just like someone said earlier that art is subjective and it totally is. There's no reason to call it garbage or terrible just because it doesn't fit what you think art is or that it's not the right person for the story that you envisioned.
We're not talking about putting up huge towel blowing in the wind in central park or a toilet seat hanging on a wall and calling it art here.
Creating art is hard work and takes talent. Just because you use a computer to create it doesn't mean it sucks. Plus there's a whole process before it even makes the final stage that involves drawing and painting that you would probably like before it made it's glossy page stage.
There's been a bunch of Artist editions recently with artists that I didn't like AT ALL but I don't come in here and start calling it Junk.
This guy's stuff isn't really my favorite either but hey watchoo gonna do?

Wow, touchy, I apologize for offending you with my use of the word junk, Its just my opinion didn't realize it would be taken so personally. I have edited my statement to hopefully make those who were offended feel better.

I am joking, it was my opinion, I have mine and you have yours and regardless of either or whether it is JUNK or ART, I am still buying a copy !

Robert Fulman
01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
In fairness to Gabriel Rodriquez, I think he does draw his art in pencil before it gets inked and colored; I assume that he doesn't do the inking or coloring. One overlooked fact on TWTTK, for example, is that although Jae Lee drew the artwork, the coloring was done by June Chung (who happens to be Lee's wife). I won't buy the Shining, because I am trying to limit myself to books published by Grant (and I also don't think that The Shining is a very good book...)

Jimimck
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm not a s/l collector, but when this was first released told myself I'd be looking to buy a s/l no matter the costs, as The Shining is in my top three, if not number one, of my all time favourite books.

I'm no art critic, so don't really have an opinion on this guys talent etc, but I do know that comic book style art is not what I want in The Shining. If it turns out that is the style for this publication, I won't be dropping the coins required for a numbered. I'll still buy a gift however.

mikeC
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure I am "touchy", I have been on this site for years reading people bash certain artists and laud over others that I can't stand. I guess I just had to finally express how I feel, that's all.
No big deal. You definitely didn't have to edit your post.
I usually never post in the morning bc I am cranky until 2pm.

namelessnpoor
01-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Its all good mikeC I don't let much of what people say onhere bother me, I knoe everyone has thier opionions on who they like and don't like and which books are best etc.....Thats what the forums are for, to express your opinion and share your thoughts.
His artwork is not junk, he does nice stuff, my main point was if comic book style is whathe is going to do, I just don't see it as a good fit for that particular title

CyberGhostface
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Yeah, on title alone they will sell. But how many people will be pissed and never want to buy from then again as a result? The long term effects might not be so awesome for them in that case.

There's no reason for people buying it to be pissed because they know what they're getting ahead of time. It's not like they changed artists after the preorders.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM

There's no reason for people buying it to be pissed because they know what they're getting ahead of time. It's not like they changed artists after the preorders.
You nailed it. People can be disappointing in the choice, but so far as I know, no one has had to pay, let alone want a refund.

Jimimck
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Should we be expecting to see cover art and samples of interior art before or as part of the preorder?

Randall Flagg
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Should we be expecting to see cover art and samples of interior art before or as part of the preorder?
I doubt it. With an artist change it may not happen.

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Oh!!! That is not good, IMHO!!! Don't get me wrong, he appears talented, but I just don't feel his style is a fit for "The Shining". I'm gonna have to re-think even the GE.

His "Jack" looks more like a Lumber-Jack!!!

Randall Flagg
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Bill, refer to the thread where you were (1,023-0) voted as confused.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?16929-The-quot-Holy-Trinity-quot-of-King-Collectible-yet-extraneous-crap!!

Robert Fulman
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes, if I ever post some art that doesn't quite look right, it's probably because I did it in about five minutes in MS Paint...

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LKCW1.jpg

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?16929-The-quot-Holy-Trinity-quot-of-King-Collectible-yet-extraneous-crap!!

OK I guess I am confused again. Enlighten me?

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Yes, if I ever post some art that doesn't quite look right, it's probably because I did it in about five minutes in MS Paint...

http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/LKCW1.jpg

Oh man!!! You guys suck!!! LOL LOL LOL

Good thing I voted that "Yes" I am confused!!! LOL

Randall Flagg
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Robert Fulman did a quick mock up. He used Microsoft Paint (or some other image editing software).
Ok...in simple terms for Bill.....He faked a cover

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Robert Fulman did a quick mock up. He used Microsoft Paint (or some other image editing software).
Ok...in simple terms for Bill.....He faked a cover

Believe it or not, but I "Got it"!!!

Just too damn late is all!!!!

AKC
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Bill was confused......

Again.

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Merlin1958
01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Bill was confused......

Again.

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Getting to be a "Perpetual" state!!!! Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself once in awhile...

Have at it, folks!!! I can take it!!!

Or, all 6'9", 285 pds of me could show up at your front door some night!!! LOL LOL LOL

LOL?

cit74
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Okay quick question - who would have final say in the artwork for these s/l - is it Bill over at sub press or would SK have a say in the artwork for his narrative. Either way I would presume that they would only want the art in the book to be a good representation of the story/characters. If they thought it was not right - I would hope they might give some input on a particular piece or not use said piece. I would hope there would be some sort of collaboration. Also it is not like Gabriel is unknown to the King family

Patrick
01-05-2013, 01:06 AM
I like GR's artwork in Locke & Key. I also enjoyed seeing his cover for NAS4A2, which seems to differ a bit in style from his L&K work. I am very interested to see what he does with THE SHINING, and I hope to purchase one of the S/L's.

TwistedNadine
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Bill, you are just one Big Burly Loveable Huggable Bear of a Man.
Despite your occasional confusions Im still one of your fans.

(The definition of Fan being used in the above is: "A person who has interest or likes something, or somebody"
Not to be confused with: "a object that has blades that move real fast to keep a thing or person nice and cold")

Getting to be a "Perpetual" state!!!! Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself once in awhile...

Or, all 6'9", 285 pds of me could show up at your front door some night!!! LOL LOL LOL

Merlin1958
01-05-2013, 01:34 PM

(The definition of Fan being used in the above is: "A person who has interest or likes something, or somebody"
Not to be confused with: "a object that has blades that move real fast to keep a thing or person nice and cold")

I aim to please!!!

:xizao:

Thanks, TN. I lovey-dovey you to poopsie-woopsie!!! :heart:

Warning!!! Spoiler for TwistedNadine' eyes only!!!! LOL

sgc1999
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM

I aim to please!!!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t9Vv5fWQLb4/T7GbGPTbnbI/AAAAAAAABOc/AoNhzwAi388/s1600/LeifPool.jpg&sa=X&ei=QaLoULWXBs3ligLF6oH4Bg&ved=0CAoQ8wc4Iw&usg=AFQjCNG68KzHGMkBG2kOcU7SglhjKOWI9Q

Hmmmm. A relative of Thorin Oakenshield i presume?

Randall Flagg
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
WTF. My eyes are burned. Bill, you are strange indeed.

Merlin1958
01-05-2013, 02:29 PM

I aim to please!!!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t9Vv5fWQLb4/T7GbGPTbnbI/AAAAAAAABOc/AoNhzwAi388/s1600/LeifPool.jpg&sa=X&ei=QaLoULWXBs3ligLF6oH4Bg&ved=0CAoQ8wc4Iw&usg=AFQjCNG68KzHGMkBG2kOcU7SglhjKOWI9Q

Hmmmm. A relative of Thorin Oakenshield i presume?

Holy Crap!!! I've been "Punked"!!!!!! Some body better double bolt their door!!!! LOL

You really think "Thorin" has had a blow up pool? At least I'm not "Confused" for a change!!!!

AKC
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
This thread has DERAILED.......

sgc1999
01-05-2013, 04:46 PM
LOL:emot-roflolmao:

TwistedNadine
01-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Scary.
Bill, whats a "poopsie-woopsie"?
The Little Man is kinda cute

Merlin1958
01-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Scary.
Bill, whats a "poopsie-woopsie"?
The Little Man is kinda cute

IDK Some silly term of endearment I recall from some movie (The Godfather? When Clemenza makes fun of Michael?) Silly was the operative intent!! LOL

Now I suppose I should say something regarding "The Shining". Ahem, can't wait to see the "actual" images drawn by GR!!!!

We will now return you to our regularly scheduled programming!!!

willie3
01-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Not sure how Gabriel's art will fit, but he 'draws' his art.
No computer enhancement or shortcuts that I am aware of.
On his twitter feed, he will often post different stages of his covers.
Roughs, pencils, then final inks.
Art again, is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree, SubPress should have contracted Jerad to head up design and production of this S/L, I think it would have rivaled the Stand S/L and the Lettered Regulators.

JMHO

Karl

mae
01-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't see why this has to be illustrated anyway. I won't be getting a copy - this edition doesn't really interested me, although The Shining is one of my favorite King novels. The deleted material (Before the Play) should've been added. Without it there's no point of having a limited edition.

biomieg
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't see why this has to be illustrated anyway. I won't be getting a copy - this edition doesn't really interested me, although The Shining is one of my favorite King novels. The deleted material (Before the Play) should've been added. Without it there's no point of having a limited edition.

You know, I have been thinking the exact same thing about limited editions in general for a while now. When I was still new to collecting I always said that I didn't care about King's sig and that this (besides a lack of financial means) was my main reason for not buying limited editions. My perspective changed somewhat over the years but I still didn't like many of the limited editions. Until recently I thought that what annoyed me most was that many of the more recent ones seemed to be money-grabbing vehicles for the publishers instead of books that are truly desirable from the perspective of a collector.

But I think I finally figured out what the (my) issue was: a limited edition needs something that sets it apart from the trade edition, other than artwork and high production values. It needs deleted scenes, like Centipede's 'Salem's Lot. Or it has to be a true first edition with no initial plans for a trade edition, like EOTD. Or the only hardcover edition, like Dolan's Cadillac. Or the first collection of a number of short stories, like Six Stories.

I think this is going to be my standard when it comes to limited editions from now on: new artwork and exclusive materials alone won't cut it.

CyberGhostface
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
My plan is to only get LEs for books that I love (like IT) or books by authors that I like that feature exclusive written content (like NOS4A2 by Joe Hill). But even then I'm just happy with the cheapest "Gift" edition.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I think this is going to be my standard when it comes to limited editions from now on: new artwork and exclusive materials alone won't cut it.

You wont be getting the Stand S/L then. :)

WeDealInLead
01-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Strange how more money King has, worse and worse his S/Ls get.

biomieg
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM

You wont be getting the Stand S/L then. :)

I won't. I know it's most people's favorite S/L but there are others I like better :)

Jimimck
01-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Good points Michaël. I've always felt that the S/L and Lettered's should provide something different other than just a number, letter and signature. (don't get me started on Lettered's that are exactly the same as a numbered except for the letter!)

Unless we see some advance pictures of artwork, design etc that blow my mind, I've decided I'm only going for a Gift edition...

biomieg
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Sometimes new artwork by itself can be enough to persuade me to buy a limited but it seems I'm sticking to gift editions in that case.

No disrespect intended towards anyone with a different opinion, of course!

Roseannebarr
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM

You know, I have been thinking the exact same thing about limited editions in general for a while now. When I was still new to collecting I always said that I didn't care about King's sig and that this (besides a lack of financial means) was my main reason for not buying limited editions. My perspective changed somewhat over the years but I still didn't like many of the limited editions. Until recently I thought that what annoyed me most was that many of the more recent ones seemed to be money-grabbing vehicles for the publishers instead of books that are truly desirable from the perspective of a collector.

But I think I finally figured out what the (my) issue was: a limited edition needs something that sets it apart from the trade edition, other than artwork and high production values. It needs deleted scenes, like Centipede's 'Salem's Lot. Or it has to be a true first edition with no initial plans for a trade edition, like EOTD. Or the only hardcover edition, like Dolan's Cadillac. Or the first collection of a number of short stories, like Six Stories.

six stories is my absolute favorite. Limited becuz there are no other editions like it!

WeDealInLead
01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
You know, I keep thinking about what they'll use for the lettered edition to justify the cost. I can't think of anything (except greed) that justifies the price tag. Haruki Murakami's classic 1Q84 was issued as a 3 books set in a freaking plexiglass case and was limited to 111 copies with a publishing price just north of $1000. That James Bond book someone on here bought was even less than that. One of the nicest looking lettereds, Song of Kali was a fraction of The Shining.

I think SubPress know they can get away with this and that's the only reason for it. Their limiteds are nice and it's not like I'll boycott them but considering there is no extra material and they're getting an artist who is I'm sure cheaper than their go-tos (Chong, Tikulin, Potter), they're probably relying on completists on this one.

Robert Fulman
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
More than twice as many copies of 1q84 were sold at a little less than half the price. I don't see how one is a pure money grab, and the other isn't. Plastic isn't a really expensive material to work with, and I'm not so sure that 1q84 has already attained "classic" status. They didn't spend any of the money on original art, as far as I can tell.

Carte Blanche was limited to 200 copies, had a list price of 1000 pounds, and wasn't signed by anybody.

WeDealInLead
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm talking about the cost of production. I've listed a few books that I think have cost more to produce than what The Shining will cost, based on quality of Subterranean catalog so far. If you think the lettered edition of 52 copies is worth $3500, then go for it.

edit: again, to clarify, I'm talking about the production cost being too low for the price. I feel like I need to specify this because I wasn't talking about 1Q84 being a classic or whatever. There are also authors out there who sell more than King and their lettereds don't have that issue price.

Merlin1958
01-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Good points Michaël. I've always felt that the S/L and Lettered's should provide something different other than just a number, letter and signature. (don't get me started on Lettered's that are exactly the same as a numbered except for the letter!)

Unless we see some advance pictures of artwork, design etc that blow my mind, I've decided I'm only going for a Gift edition...

You know, now that you mention it The Shining, surprisingly, does not really lend itself towards illustrations. Sure. there are a half dozen or so crucial images, but you really start to run dry quickly. I know that we encountered just that issue when doing the Case Art Editions. There were quite a few "doubles" from Glenn and Erin as I recall. In a lot of ways, which may have hurt it as a film, it's hard to translate the tons of cerebral material inherent to the story. Just a thought.

I do so love Glenn's "Hose Monster" though. That was a classic that come's to mind.

Of course, I may be biased in that I like "Monster's" in my book art!!! JMHO

Ben Mears
01-06-2013, 05:19 PM
You know, now that you mention it The Shining, surprisingly, does not really lend itself towards illustrations. Sure. there are a half dozen or so crucial images, but you really start to run dry quickly. I

The Shining is broken into five acts. With 5 act/part opener images, a title page image, and the cover art and the book could be nicely illustrated without becoming overbearing. The 40 illustrations SP has announced seems like overkill.

Merlin1958
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
You know, now that you mention it The Shining, surprisingly, does not really lend itself towards illustrations. Sure. there are a half dozen or so crucial images, but you really start to run dry quickly. I

The Shining is broken into five acts. With 5 act/part opener images, a title page image, and the cover art and the book could be nicely illustrated without becoming overbearing. The 40 illustrations SP has announced seems like overkill.

Yeah, hence my long winded agreement!!

Jimimck
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
40 illustrations????
Gee I must have missed reading that along the way.

I like the ide of artwork for the five acts, title etc. Minimalist for this edition could be better...?

WeDealInLead
01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I can't help imagining this book with a design similar to 'Salem's Lot from Centipede. I think touched up b/w photos would fit the dark and ominous (and menacing at times) feel of the book.