PDA

View Full Version : The last step

Letti
12-22-2007, 12:55 AM
When Roland reached the top of the Tower and found a door with his own name on it... it opened and Roland suddenly realised everything.
We can read that he cried for mercy and he didn't want to go but the ka was much stronger Gan was way too much stronger and in fact he was forced...
but somehow I feel it was his decision too.
If he hadn't been forced so hard he would have stepped anyway. And maybe the ka was strong but I don't think he was absolutely forced. When he moved his leg it was his decision to start it again.

So, that my queston.
Was that last step - in front of the door - his decision or was he forced to do so?

Brice
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I voted I can't answer because:

It was neither...or both. It was absolutely his choice he absolutely had to make. In my opinion Roland's quest (the cycle) can never end because ultimately his quest is the quest itself. He (and the rest of the ka~tet) were redeemed. They all got what they most needed. What he needed most was the quest for the tower, so it goes on and on ad infinitum. It doesn't loop as a punishment for some act(i.e. letting Jake fall). The loop is the redemption that Roland needs. IMO it will never stop looping regardless of what choices he makes along the way.

Nerak
12-23-2007, 04:50 AM
It was ka

jayson
12-23-2007, 08:52 AM
In my opinion Roland's quest (the cycle) can never end because ultimately his quest is the quest itself. He (and the rest of the ka~tet) were redeemed. They all got what they most needed. ... It doesn't loop as a punishment for some act (i.e. letting Jake fall). The loop is the redemption that Roland needs. IMO it will never stop looping regardless of what choices he makes along the way.

Brice, this is pretty much exactly how I see it. Roland is not damned to do the loop until he does such and such differently. He does the loop endlessly because that is his ka. Not damnation, not salvation, just ka. So, to answer Letti's question, it's both. He was forced by the Tower, but he'd have gone anyway.:rose:

alinda
12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
its both do ya not ken it? I love it R of G how you said it,

"He was forced by the Tower, but he would have gone anyway" Brillant!

TerribleT
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
In my opinion Roland's quest (the cycle) can never end because ultimately his quest is the quest itself. He (and the rest of the ka~tet) were redeemed. They all got what they most needed. ... It doesn't loop as a punishment for some act (i.e. letting Jake fall). The loop is the redemption that Roland needs. IMO it will never stop looping regardless of what choices he makes along the way.

Brice, this is pretty much exactly how I see it. Roland is not damned to do the loop until he does such and such differently. He does the loop endlessly because that is his ka. Not damnation, not salvation, just ka. So, to answer Letti's question, it's both. He was forced by the Tower, but he'd have gone anyway.:rose:

That's pretty much my feeling on it as well.

Jean
12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
for me one's own decision overrides necessity. If it was his decision, nothing else matters. Not ka, not anything.