PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Journals

Candice Dionysus
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
This (http://www.1001journals.com) is a project I've found recently that takes an empty book and sends it around to different people (generally on a list, although it can be just free traveling) and has them contribute to it randomly as though it were there own journal before sending it on to the next lucky contributor. I'd like to ask now that if you're interested on being on the list for either of these, sign up for the site and tell me your user name and which half of the project you'd like to participate in (or just PM me your email address and I'll invite you that way. You'll have to sign up, either way), in order for me to keep proper track of where the books are going.

I was thinking, because there are so many of us on this site, and from so many different places, how many people would be interested in participating if I offered to start us off? I know a bunch of us already have each others addresses, and send letters back and forth, but this is so much more... Communal? Is that the word I'm looking for? I think thats right.

What I am doing is taking two empty journals and sending them around.
One of them is going to be a work of fiction about a drug addict. This one you can add a minimum of two pages to a maximum of four before sending it along. There are rules, but they are simple:
Keep the same basic characters, don't add more than four pages front and back, try to make sure your spelling and grammar are proper (I don't want to see scratched out words all over the place), don't keep the book for more than two to three weeks at the most, and while I want you to have fun, try to keep the story as serious as possible.
This book can be tracked through this link (http://1001Journals.com/journals/2553), and is open to the public, which means anyone can join.

The second journal is going to be just that. I'm calling it "A Day in the Life of a Tower Junkie," and it will essentially be a volume of journal entries from each member on the list, how their day is going, a rant, a drawing, a poem, or anything else you feel like adding. You can even paste in photographs.
The rules for this one are similar, but I'm not restricting the page count, and it doesn't have to be a serious entry.
This one can be tracked through this link (http://1001Journals.com/journals/2556), but it is closed to the public, and you will have to give me your email address and/or 1001Journals user name in order to gain entry to the list.

In the case of both books, once you are done with it please email the person below you on the list for their address and send it onward. If you're on the bottom of the list, send it on back to me, and we'll start the rotation again, and maybe see if we can't find some new additions to the list along the way.
When a book is full, send it back to me and I'll send out an empty one to the first person below me on the list, and we can go again.

Now, while I would like to contain the Tower Junkie Journal to members of the site, the actual Story Book can be added to by anyone, so long as their pen name is put on the accompanying paper, and the two are kept together. This means you can lend it to a friend briefly, as long as its still back on the road within two to three weeks. I would like to keep a proper record of everyone who adds to the book, so try not to lose the paper folded up in the back.

In case you're wondering how you get peoples addresses, I'll explain it. What you do once you get the book(s) is click the name of the person below you on the list and ask them for their address so you can send it along. That way peoples addresses can still be kept from the general public, but they can still participate.

So! Are you interested? If so, PM me the following:

Email Address/1001J User Name:
Which Book: Journal/Story/Both?
Additional Comments:

Sai_Rhavan
12-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I personally love this idea. I'll pitch in for the puchase of it, if others will donate as well. I know I'm not on the board or anything, but it's still a great idea.

Candice Dionysus
12-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh, you don't have to pitch in. Buying a book is no problem, and sending it out is fine too. The only thing you guys have to pay for is postage to send it on.

Mainly I'm looking for people interested in participating, and opinions on which option I should go for, what we should put into it, and if not writing a story, then rants and poetry on a specific topic, or what?

Sai_Rhavan
12-15-2007, 07:54 PM
It could be maybe both, half of the book as a live-in journal, the other half being a continuous story. I'm not much for journals, but I used to love it when we did Round stories at campfires. >.>

Candice Dionysus
12-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't think it would really work well as both. You'd never know where the story was, and what was just journal entries. I'd be more than willing to do one of each, of course. XD

Sai_Rhavan
12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
-.- Extremely good point. I'd somehow find a way to screw up both ends, anyway.

So, how do we go about sending it to each other?

Candice Dionysus
12-15-2007, 08:13 PM
We compile a list of everyone who is interested in receiving the book, and each person can contact the person who is below them on the list, get their address, and mail it to them. Then that person would contact whoever was below them, and do the same. That way, no one has to make their address public, but they can still participate.

Daghain
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
That is a very cool idea. I think either one would be fun. :D

Candice Dionysus
12-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm glad you like it, Daghain. I was thinking, what kind of story can we write?
I want to do one of each, specifically for DT.com-ers, so I kind of want to pick a topic of discussion for the one, and a a genre/basic storyline for the other.

Daghain
12-16-2007, 11:23 AM
You could just start something at random - people around here will fill in the rest, as is evidenced by this (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1490&highlight=Adventure) thread. :lol:

And the personal one could just be a day-in-the-life type of thing, I think. So people can read about what others do in different parts of the world. Could be interesting.

Candice Dionysus
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Thats too awesome. I'll come up with a great beginning, then, and just let you guys run rampant.

A Day in the Life of a Tower Junkie? Oh my, heh. That sounds fascinating. That would certainly be an interesting book at the end. ^_^

Sai_Rhavan
12-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I know the ending to the day in the life of the Tower Junkie.
They finish the book series, and are slightly heart broken but walk away with more lessons learned than before.

Candice Dionysus
12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Haha, yeah... But I can't say I didn't love every second of the DT series. :wub:

Darkthoughts
12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm in!! I prefer the journal idea - you could stick in a photo or a doodle - anything, if you didn't feel like you had anything to write.

Candice Dionysus
12-16-2007, 02:38 PM
So I'm doing one of each. <3 I'll make two lists, and since I want to keep this limited to site members, I'll need email addresses PMed for proper invitations. ^_^

ZoNeSeeK
12-16-2007, 04:26 PM
What a cool idea :)

Daghain
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
That rocks, Candice! Count me in on both. I'll PM you my email addy. :D

Candice Dionysus
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Awesome! <3

Matt
12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm in too, I think this is a wonderful idea! :rock:

Candice Dionysus
12-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh, excellent! Matt is involved now!
Did you just want to do the journal, or did you want to do the story book?
You can do both, if you want.
Could you PM me your email address?

I'm going to update the first post today.

fernandito
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm in Candice!

Candice Dionysus
12-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Great, PM me the necessary information as outlined in the first post. ^_^

Candice Dionysus
12-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Ok, FP still needs to PM me email info, and, excluding Rhavan, four of you haven't yet activated your accounts/properly added yourselves to the list.

Matt
12-19-2007, 07:33 AM
I didn't have a link in the email I got :(

Daghain
12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm just being lazy. :lol:

Candice Dionysus
12-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Ok, Matt, lets try it this way. Go to 1001Journals.com and sign up, then on here PM me your user name, and I'll invite your user name. It should work fine that way.

Geeze, Dagh, even I'm not that lazy! :lol: Just don't forget, huh?

Daghain
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm in. :lol:

Candice Dionysus
12-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Super groovy.