PDA

View Full Version : A Song of Ice and Fire ******Spoilers!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sai blaine
12-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Any fans of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin, come here and express your views and opinions on this great set by a great writer. I'm in love with the series and can not wait for "A Dance with Dragons" to come out, i just love the setting, characters and everything else..

ManOfWesternesse
12-13-2007, 02:44 AM
A great,great series so far - but I'm afraid that he's letting it sprawl a bit too wide. It's becoming too complex in some areas - and some of these are less .... enjoyable.. for me than others (eg. all that stuff in the Iron Islands - mostly bored me out of my tree).
It's still an extremely good series, but the first book was definitely the best (so far). God - the opening chapters / the Starks / The Direwolves /The Wall - brilliant stuff.
Much of the subsequent stuff has been great too - but I'm just afraid that he's pulling too much into the story.

sai blaine
12-13-2007, 03:55 AM
I'm secretly worried hes going to die before he completes it :scared: he's taken 11 years to make 4 books... but its well worth it i think. I didnt really enjoy the parts about Dorne thoe, i felt they just dragged on alot at the beggining, Sam is the most boring charater alive in my eyes :lol: well since the 4th book anyway.

fernandito
12-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm about 400+ pages into the first book, and loving it thus far. Great characters, although far too to keep track of.

OchrisO
12-13-2007, 09:34 AM
I've read the first two and think taht they are amazing. I have just been too busy with school to read teh others. I need to get them in audiobook so that I can just listen to them at work.

Most of the stuff with Daenerys Targaryen actually kind of bores me, though some of it is entertaining.

The Greyjoys are somewhat boring to me as well, but that may just be because I hate Theon Greyjoy so much.

Tyrion Lannester is probably my favorite character to follow, though somewhere in my heart, I think I still root for the Starks to come out on top, which most people probably do.

I think this series probably has more characters in it than any series that i have ever read. Look at this, it is insane to see all of them listed in one place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

I think the insane number of characters is the hardest obstacle for new readers to overcome. I have found that they audiobooks make it a lot easier to keep track or who is who.

fernandito
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Look at this, it is insane to see all of them listed in one place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Dios nos libere!

CyberGhostface
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I love the series but unfortunately I have to agree with MoW that the series is simply becoming too complex with too many characters to keep track of.

My favorite book would have to be the third one. My favorite POV characters are probably Jon Snow, Daenaerys and Tyrion, although Sansa and Arya are good as well. I also thought Jaime's POV in the third book was excellent. My favorite non-POV character would have to be Sandor Clegane. There's just so much to reccomend about this series.

Telynn
12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I agree with the too many story lines. He already had enough it would take several books to tie them all up, but he just keeps adding and adding. Kinda like The Wheel of Time. I can't see that one ending in just one book. Too much going on.

One thing I really like about this series, although it does drive me crazy sometimes, is the way characters change and evolve. Or maybe they don't actually change so much as your perception of them changes. Jamie is the main one I think of in this regard.

CyberGhostface
12-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Or maybe they don't actually change so much as your perception of them changes. Jamie is the main one I think of in this regard.

Actually, I think Jaime did change in the last two books. In the beginning of the book he came off as bit of a prick but I think his relationship with Brienne redeemed him in many ways (like when he went back to save her). Which doesn't make up for his previous actions, but I think he's on a better path than Cersei is.

Telynn
12-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Or maybe they don't actually change so much as your perception of them changes. Jamie is the main one I think of in this regard.

Actually, I think Jaime did change in the last two books. In the beginning of the book he came off as bit of a prick but I think his relationship with Brienne redeemed him in many ways (like when he went back to save her). Which doesn't make up for his previous actions, but I think he's on a better path than Cersei is.

That's true, but I think having some chapters from his point of view helped you to get into his head. My feelings about him changed when I saw what all he thought and felt.

Erin
12-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Look at this, it is insane to see all of them listed in one place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Dios nos libere!

Holy crap!!!!! I haven't read these yet, but my gosh!

ManOfWesternesse
12-14-2007, 05:35 AM
I agree with the too many story lines. He already had enough it would take several books to tie them all up, but he just keeps adding and adding. Kinda like The Wheel of Time. I can't see that one ending in just one book. Too much going on.....

On the subject of Wheel of Time - I see (wotmania.com) that they have got a writer to finish Book 12: A Memory of Light. Some author by the name of Brandon Sanderson - know him??
& yes - it won't be easy to finish it in one book.

fernandito
01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm especially curious to see how they will portray the godswood(s) in the HBO series.

CyberGhostface
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Regarding that list of characters...not all the characters in that list are major. If you were to have a list of all the DT characters, it'd probably be big too.

Does anyone think Polly Walker from Rome would do a good Cersei?

IWasSentWest
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
i read the first three and thought they were fantastic...but then i made the mistake of looking up info on the upcoming series on HBO and i read all the spoilers for the 4th book. i hated my life. now im just waiting for another book to appear and save me

Jean
01-18-2008, 11:35 PM
dear friends,

this is not a spoiler thread, so please mark your spoilers

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thank_you-1.gif

CyberGhostface
01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
i read the first three and thought they were fantastic...but then i made the mistake of looking up info on the upcoming series on HBO and i read all the spoilers for the 4th book. i hated my life. now im just waiting for another book to appear and save me

Well, IMO, the fourth is the worst in the series, so things could be worse. :nana:

fernandito
01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I finished A Game of Thrones a few days ago. It started off a bit slow, but the pacing and tension towards the end of the book was great. The only thing I didn't like, however
was that Martin decided to kill Eddard off so early in the series :angry: He was by far my favorite character and now I'll wonder if I'll enjoy the remaining books in the series the same.

ManOfWesternesse
01-29-2008, 01:55 AM
I finished A Game of Thrones a few days ago. It started off a bit slow, but the pacing and tension towards the end of the book was great. The only thing I didn't like, however
was that Martin decided to kill Eddard off so early in the series :angry: He was by far my favorite character and now I'll wonder if I'll enjoy the remaining books in the series the same.

Yeah, first time around that was a real bummer for me too.

Eddard was a really great character.

Then, as I read more, I came to know that martin will build up & kill characters at the drop of a hat.

The series still reads (& re-reads) well for me - but sometimes I wish he'd kept a slightly narrower focus on events & main-characters.

IWasSentWest
01-29-2008, 12:25 PM
i hated that part of the first book...but like like MoW said...Martin will do that to any character...no matter how much u love or hate them

Erin
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
I think I'm going to give these books a go after I finish reading the His Dark Materials series (I'm almost done with the last book) and Duma Key.

The sound pretty awesome.

fernandito
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Thye are, Erin. Martin truly is a master of fantasy writing.

OchrisO
02-01-2008, 02:34 AM
I have finished the first 3 books now. The series is still holding up strong. I think it is amazing. I need to hunt down book 4 in audio so I can listen to it at work.

fernandito
02-01-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm going to pick up the 2nd book as soon as I finish the other two novels I have on stand-by. I'm assuming that all the books are as lengthy as the first?

ManOfWesternesse
02-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah fp, far as I recall fairly similar lengths.

CyberGhostface
02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Well a couple get thicker as they go along...Storm of Swords was probably 200-300 pages longer than the first book for example.

Philzilla
02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Bad thing about this series is Martin is as slow as pre-accident King and the Dark Tower, except Martin isn't as productive with other books.

cru
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
i love the series. totally engrossing. i read the first four back to back and its killing to wait for #5.
my only complaint is how huge it is. too many angles and even tho i understand its about the entire land, some of it could have been left out. i just get lost in the names sometimes and find myself stopping to think of what a character did last before i can start a new chapter.
other than that, great dynamic characters and interaction, very realistic and believable. i recommend it to anyone interested in taking on an epic.

cru
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
is there any recent news about someone making an hbo series for this?

ladysai
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I havent heard anything about an HBO series, but I found some news on Martin's blog:
the covers for UK and US versions of "Dance with Dragons" are set:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ladysai/11.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/ladysai/1.jpg

and the book is expected 'some time this fall'.
~crosses fingers~

More info at the blog:
G R R Martin's blog (http://grrm.livejournal.com/)

fernandito
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
I love the 2nd cover.

Erin
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
So, I LOVE A Game of Thrones so far. I stayed up until 5am reading. Awesomeness.

Yesterday I went and bought the 2nd book. The cashier and I started talking about the series and he made a joke that cracked me up. He said "Everytime some one asks Martin when the next book is coming out, he kills a Stark". :lol:

fernandito
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
So, I LOVE A Game of Thrones so far. I stayed up until 5am reading. Awesomeness.

Yesterday I went and bought the 2nd book. The cashier and I started talking about the series and he made a joke that cracked me up. He said "Everytime some one asks Martin when the next book is coming out, he kills a Stark". :lol:

:dance:

I bought the 2nd book over the weekend as well - I'm planning on starting it as soon as I finish IT :D

Erin
05-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Yay! We will probably be reading the 2nd book around the same time!

We'll be book buddies. :D

fernandito
05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
:D

Who was your favorite character from the 1st book, btw?

Mine was definitely Rob.

ManOfWesternesse
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
.....He said "Everytime some one asks Martin when the next book is coming out, he kills a Stark". :lol:

He must be fresh outta Starks by now!.... and Winter's coming... :lol:

fernandito
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
How can you make a joke like that

after what happened to Eddie :( :cry:

OchrisO
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I finished book 4 a few days ago and really enjoyed it. So much so that I am not even sure what to read after it, because I can't think of anything new that might stand up to the bar set by that series.

ManOfWesternesse
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
How can you make a joke like that

after what happened to Eddie :( :cry:
"Cry yer pardon, fp".

I finished book 4 a few days ago and really enjoyed it. So much so that I am not even sure what to read after it, because I can't think of anything new that might stand up to the bar set by that series.
Yeah, it's pretty damn good... and it re-reads well too.
Next?...You read this 'Dark Tower' series you hear them talking about? That's not bad. Or how about Stephen Donaldson's 'Thomas Covenant' series? It's for sure there's not much 'new' out there as you say that will stack up to it.

OchrisO
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I've tried reading the first Thomas Covenant book before and just couldn't get into it.
I only got a bit past the rape scene, I can't remember where exactly I gave up.

I may try again at some point, though.

ManOfWesternesse
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I've tried reading the first Thomas Covenant book before and just couldn't get into it.
I only got a bit past the rape scene, I can't remember where exactly I gave up.

I may try again at some point, though.

That scene alone killed it for some people. But it is VERY important in it's effect on many of the characters throughout the series, distasteful though it was.(I know you're not saying the scene was what stopped you...)
You should seriously give this series another shot.

OchrisO
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I may try it in audio book, because I tend to be able to enjoy some books in audio that I couldn't in text. I found ASoIaF more enjoyable as audio, because it was easier to keep up with characters, for example.

Erin
05-28-2008, 01:44 PM

Mine was definitely Rob.

Sorry, just saw this! I'm almost done with the 1st book...and my favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion. I'm also starting to like Dany more and more.

OchrisO
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Tyrion is my favorite character of the whole series so far. I liked him more and more as the books went on. He's especially great when you listen to the audio books, because he is very well voiced.

A minor book 4 spoiler, I suppose:
I was very sad that he wasn't in book four at all. The story is supposed to focus more on him and Dany and a few others who were left out of book 4 in book 5, though.

ladysai
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Tyrion is my favorite character of the whole series so far. I liked him more and more as the books went on. He's especially great when you listen to the audio books, because he is very well voiced.

I agree wholeheartedly!
Tyrion is very complicated, yet quite easy to like.
In the audio versions, he speaks in a Scottish-like brouge. Supercool.:)

fernandito
05-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Mine was definitely Rob.

Sorry, just saw this! I'm almost done with the 1st book...and my favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion. I'm also starting to like Dany more and more.

I really , really liked Arya as well. I didn't start to like Tyrion until the last fourth of the book, and Dany is a crazy @$$ ho' :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2008, 01:32 AM
....and Dany is a crazy @$$ ho' :lol:
Yeah, I did eventually get a bit pissed-off with Danerys.

fernandito
06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I think it's a bad idea to go long periods of times between these books. I started the 2nd book recently (I completed A Game of Thrones back in Feb) and I couldn't remember half of the characters names. Add this to the fact that Martin's cast consists of hundreds and you pretty much need to read this series with a detailed list next to you :lol:

Erin
06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
:lol: I'm about halfway through A Clash of Kings right now and I can barely put it down. I'm loving it. But you are right Feev, the only reason I'm not too confused about all the characters is the fact that I read the 2nd almost right after the 1st so it was fresh in my mind.

I have to admit though, I still have issues keeping straight who all the Knights are.

OchrisO
06-08-2008, 06:51 PM
It gets kind of confusing based on the naming conventions alone. Some of the names are similar, like Balor and Balon, and then there will be like 6 different Aegons referenced in the world's history.,

fernandito
06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a new found respect for Tyrion Lannister - I love the mind games he plays with the eunuch Varys in the beginning of A Clash of Kings.

fernandito
06-29-2008, 06:19 PM
I have to reiterate this - I love Jon Snow's portion of the story. I think his narrative adds a completely different & refreshing dynamic to the overall plot.

ManOfWesternesse
06-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I have to reiterate this - I love Jon Snow's portion of the story. I think his narrative adds a completely different & refreshing dynamic to the overall plot.

Agreed. Snow is a very well written character. Be interesting to see what he comes to in the end!

.... if he doesn't kill him off, that is! :lol:

fernandito
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Alright, I just finished A Clash of Kings...

Why were the Undead trying to destroy/consume Daenerys? (sp?) Weren't they supposed to be trying to help her since she's the mother of dragons and all that?

Erin
07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm really close to finishing A Clash of Kings.....and right now I freaking can't stand Theon Greyjoy. Grrrrrrr.......

When I thought he killed Bran and Rickon! OMG! But I just finished the end of that section and apparently it was just the Miller's sons. Hmmmm. Still. Fuck Greyjoy. :lol:

fernandito
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Same here Erin, I f'n hate Greyjoy -

When I read the part about him "screwing some wench" on Eddards bed, I just about ripped the pages off and set them ablaze :arg:

Erin
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh, and someone needs to kill the crap out of Cersei Lannister. ASAP.

iprimate858
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Just discovered this thread, right after finishing A Storm of Swords :D

I definitely thought the third book was the best so far, and there are definitely characters you'll find you hate much more than Theon (no hints!). Can't wait to read A Feast for Crows and eventually A Dance with Dragons.

Also, a lot of you complained about the high number of characters, which makes taking a break between readings difficult. There are a couple of invaluable resources to alleviate this problem. Head over to this site (http://hometown.aol.com/vbkorik27/main.html). I guarantee you'll never have a problem with the series again!

fernandito
08-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Head over to this site (http://hometown.aol.com/vbkorik27/main.html). I guarantee you'll never have a problem with the series again!

Excellent! Thank you for that! :D

One of the sections that was a little hard for me to understand when I first read it was

Daenerys entering the palace of the Undying. I wasn't entirely sure what it was that went down after she meets the lords (which were apparently imposters pretending to be the Undying), but that little summary helped me out.

ladysai
08-24-2008, 03:51 PM
That is an awesome site to play some character catch-up!
Thanks for the link, primate.
:)

ManOfWesternesse
08-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Fuck Greyjoy. :lol:
Fuck ALL the Greyjoys! ..... and maybe all the Iron Islanders in general! :lol:

fernandito
08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Although I do have to admit that their Kraken sigul is pretty damn sweet.

:unsure:

iprimate858
08-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Head over to this site (http://hometown.aol.com/vbkorik27/main.html). I guarantee you'll never have a problem with the series again!

Excellent! Thank you for that! :D

One of the sections that was a little hard for me to understand when I first read it was

Daenerys entering the palace of the Undying. I wasn't entirely sure what it was that went down after she meets the lords (which were apparently imposters pretending to be the Undying), but that little summary helped me out.

Just be careful to not read the summaries made AFTER A Feast For Crows! Read the spoiler free summaries!

Bluenose
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I love this series, been a long wait for Book Five. I've been reduced to plotting roleplaying games (which, since I'm still trying to get a group together is pretty much a waste of time). I love the misdirection and how small the main characters think. They're all so obsessed with their own plotting and ambitions, that they assume everyone else is doing the same as them.

As far as the HBO series goes...last I heard from a GRRM site was that HBO was looking at this and an Arthurian show. A lot would depend on the budget available.

I heard a great joke re the casting....

xxx has signed on to play zzzz until

1) the show gets cancelled

or

2) GRRM finishes the story

or

3) GRRM kills them off.

ladysai
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I love this series, been a long wait for Book Five.
Gods, yes! It's becoming a DT-like journey to the end of this series...

PLEASE, Mr. Martin...finish the book!!!
:panic:

fernandito
08-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Aren't there going to be 7 books in total?

ManOfWesternesse
08-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Aren't there going to be 7 books in total?
Yeah, 7 was what I thought too. Though I'm sure it's hard for an author to see that far ahead...

ladysai
11-12-2008, 06:21 AM
It is supposed to be seven books in the series, and GRRM has at least thought out the titles:
(from the bibliography section of GRRM's official website)

A Song of Ice and Fire:
o A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
o A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
o A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
o A Feast for Crows, Bantam Books, 2005
o A Dance with Dragons, forthcoming/Bantam Books
o The Winds of Winter, forthcoming/Bantam Books
o A Dream of Spring, forthcoming/Bantam Books

And here's an update
from GRRM's blog:

Huge, Huge News
Nov. 11th, 2008 at 10:29 PM

HBO has given the production order.

They will be filming the pilot episode of A GAME OF THRONES.

It's just the pilot so far. They'll need to see that before they decide whether to proceed with a full season's episodes. So let's all hope the pilot will kick serious ass.

It should. David Benioff and Dan Weiss did a terrific job with the script. And yes, all of you can relax, it's very faithful. Dan and David will be the executive producers for the pilot and (we hope) the eventual series.

More details when I have 'em. The news is very fresh. HBO just issued their own press release, which should be up on their website soon, if it's not there already.

Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn.

fernandito
11-12-2008, 06:23 AM
AWESOME.

Thanks for that, ladysai!

ManOfWesternesse
11-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Though of course God only knows when we'll see it this side of the pond!

fernandito
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
If they stick to the source material as closely as we all hope they do, then the opening scene for that pilot is going to be amazing.

ladysai
11-12-2008, 12:58 PM
If they stick to the source material as closely as we all hope they do, then the opening scene for that pilot is going to be amazing.

This is true!
I dont have HBO, but if the series ends up being made, I'll get the DVD from Blockbuster or something.

Maybe the excitement of this new production will prod Mr. Martin into finishing at least one of the forthcoming books.
:idea:

Hope springs eternal.

mae
11-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Having never read the series, I was still excited to hear the news of HBO producing the pilot. Here's the catch, though. If The Dark Tower would even become filmed, I'd personally opt for an HBO (mini)series. But having two fantasy series is probably not feasible for HBO at all. I can't see The Dark Tower as a full-fledged theatrical release a-la Harry Potter or LOTR, I'm sorry. It's just too weird. HBO is perfect for it. As a long-time HBO subscriber, I know they put out super quality series and miniseries. Their newest series True Blood (also based on a series of novels) is jaw-droppingly awesome. I could absolutely see The Dark Tower done that way.

fernandito
01-06-2009, 06:39 AM
You can now pre-order A Dance With Dragons through Amazon! :D

Amazon.com: A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire): George R.R. Martin: Books

Chap
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, I wanted to check this out until I saw the list of characters :doh:

fernandito
01-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Don't let that discourage you, it's an awesome series! There are a couple of sites that list the characters that appear in each book, along with a brief description of each - you can print that out and keep it with you so that you can reference it whenever the need arises. :)

ladysai
01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
You can now pre-order A Dance With Dragons through Amazon! :D

Amazon.com: A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire): George R.R. Martin: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553801473/ref=s9intb_c1_at1-rfc_g1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0730HNFT7GQ0NJH403ZG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846)

WHOOHOOOOOO!
The info at Amazon claims that the book will be released in October of this year...but, oddly enough, there's no info on the book's release on GRRM's official site.
It's awesome news, though!

Chap
01-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't let that discourage you, it's an awesome series! There are a couple of sites that list the characters that appear in each book, along with a brief description of each - you can print that out and keep it with you so that you can reference it whenever the need arises. :)

I just checked amazon, and they've got the books pretty cheap, so I'll try the first one and see how it is :thumbsup:

fernandito
01-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Wise decision :D

Chap
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
if only more people made such wise decisions regarding The Ice People (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5798) :thumbsup:

fernandito
02-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I started A Storm of Swords today! :dance:

ladysai
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I started A Storm of Swords today! :dance:

Good call!

How are you liking it so far?

fernandito
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm only a few dozen pages in (I put it down to complete Slumdog Millionaire :blush:), but I'm really liking it so far. Most of the reviews online seem to indicate that this is the best of the first three, so we'll see if it lives up to it's rep. :)

ladysai
02-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Most of the reviews online seem to indicate that this is the best of the first three, so we'll see if it lives up to it's rep. :)

It does.
Enjoy!

fernandito
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I can't believe

[*A Storm of Swords spoiler*]
That Martin decided to kill off Robb and Catelyn. They were two of the main characters, and I felt that they still had plenty of room to have their personas developed a little further. I think that Martin killed them off prematurely because he didn't know what to do with them anymore.

I'm lacking motivation here :/

ladysai
04-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Keep reading, Feev. That plot twist isnt the end of the story...there are more surprises to come! (and theyre worth your time, I promise) :D

Brice
04-11-2009, 04:01 AM
I can't believe

[*A Storm of Swords spoiler*]
That Martin decided to kill off Robb and Catelyn. They were two of the main characters, and I felt that they still had plenty of room to have their personas developed a little further. I think that Martin killed them off prematurely because he didn't know what to do with them anymore.

I'm lacking motivation here :/

I can't believe

that the thread title has been wrong for nearly a year and a half. :lol:

fernandito
04-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Keep reading, Feev. That plot twist isnt the end of the story...there are more surprises to come! (and theyre worth your time, I promise) :D

I'll carry on, this is a great series and I plan to see it through to the end...it's just that the stuff I typed up there disheartened me a little, ya know? What abook are you on ladysai?

I can't believe

Errr....what do you mean? :unsure:

Brice
04-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Isn't it a song of fire and ice, instead of a song of ice and fire?

fernandito
04-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Nope, it's correct the way it is :).

/hands Brice a get-out-of-jail-free card, but ONLY because it's his birthday! :D

Brice
04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
My mistake! It sounds better my way. He should change it for me even though I haven't read his book.

*takes the get out of jail free card*

I might need this later. ;)

ladysai
04-15-2009, 05:37 AM

I'll carry on, this is a great series and I plan to see it through to the end...it's just that the stuff I typed up there disheartened me a little, ya know? What abook are you on ladysai?

I'm doing a reread of the first four books while waiting for #5.

I can't believe

Errr....what do you mean? :unsure:

I was wondering that, too. :P

Brice
04-18-2009, 05:30 AM
:blush:

Erin
05-03-2009, 12:16 PM
So, I finished the first 4 books a few months ago. Let's just say I freaking loved them. The last half of A Feast For Crows had me on the edge of my seat.

Anyways, I can't wait for book 5. I also have to say Martin has spoiled me. Every book i've picked up since finishing the series so far has just seemed lackluster to me.

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
I finished the AFFC about 2 weeks ago, and have yet to start another book. I think I start a reread of them tomorrow. I might pick up something I missed. But I know exactly what you mean, Erin, after all that reading, I want more, I have no desire to pick up any book but the Song books. :(

I have to say I didn't like the whole part about Lady Stoneheart. It was STUPID!

also...
I have the stinking suspicion that Jon is gonna turn out to be the son of Rhaegar and Lianna. It's the only thing that makes sense. Ned saved him when he found his sister, hid him and claimed him so Robert wouldn't kill him as a Targaryen and an heir to the throne. I can't explain why he would never have told his wife, though.

So far, Jon, Aryah, Brienne, and Bran's stories are my favorite, Daenerys was up there until she settled down to be a queen, she got really boring after her conquests.

Did Brienne Die? What word do you think she said? Whatever it was, it wasn't FREEDOM! - because, let's face it, she's no Mel Gibson. :P Do you like this twist in the story?

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Also, has anyone read any of his short stories, Dreamsongs Volumes 1 and 2?
Or his other books Hedge Knight 1 or 2?

I am gonna go look for them soon, but I also wanna know if there's any Westeros (Westerian? Westeriosan?) short stories in there.

ManOfWesternesse
11-16-2009, 06:55 AM
I haven't read his other books JB (read the back cover of Dreamsongs and thought ".. probably not...").

On your Jon theory...
I don't think you're right. He's Ned's son methinks.

Kind of agree on Lady Stoneheart - though that story has room to run yet so we'll have to wait & see how it develops.

and Brienne...
no, I don't think The Beauty is dead.... though i racked the old brains wondering wwhat she may have said. I'm thinking it was possibly "Arya" (or "Sansa") - Lady Stoneheart would have to react to either one?

fernandito
11-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Keeping with my tradition of the last 3 years, I'll be starting off the new year with a ASOIAF book - A Feast For Crows :D

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm rereading them as we speak. I already know what's gonna happen, but I can't get into anything else right now, I have to burn myself out on the Song books, because nothing else compares right now.

Turns out Hedge Knight and Hedge Knight 2 ARE based in westerios, but around the time of the original war of the dragons. I'm gonna try and find them tomorrow, I don't work.

ladysai
11-16-2009, 06:55 PM
and Brienne...
no, I don't think The Beauty is dead.... though i racked the old brains wondering wwhat she may have said. I'm thinking it was possibly "Arya" (or "Sansa") - Lady Stoneheart would have to react to either one?
I agree.
I think one of those names would get through to the Lady, even if nothing else would.

Keeping with my tradition of the last 3 years, I'll be starting off the new year with a ASOIAF book - A Feast For Crows :D
Good tradition!:thumbsup:
I recently finished AFFC , an audiobook encore. Excellent stuff, with more details to discover on each reread. :D

Turns out Hedge Knight and Hedge Knight 2 ARE based in westerios, but around the time of the original war of the dragons. I'm gonna try and find them tomorrow, I don't work.
I haven't read them either, but they sound interesting. Westeros is a fascinating place.
Let us know what you think (if you find them), please!

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Oh I will. They're based on the life and adventures of a would be "jumped-up" knight, who was a squire to someone who died and then took his armor to compete in a joust.

I think either he ripped off A Knight's Tale, or a Knight's tale ripped him off, but either way, I'm gonna read it. :lol:

sai delgado
03-07-2010, 04:08 AM
My favourite character would have to be Cersei, not because I like the things she does or the way she thinks sometimes, but just for how the strong the character is, and because her character is so well written. 'Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned' was the first thing that sprang to mind when I started to read her PoV, she truly is interesting to read. Although by the end of AFFC I was starting to raise an eyebrow.

I really can't wait for A Dance With Dragons to come out, although I don't know how I will find the time to read it in between work!

cody44
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
All my friends are reading them at the moment. I'll probably start soon too. Hope they live up to all the hype.

fernandito
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Don't worry, they are well worth the read. Best fantasy series I've read in a long time.

John Blaze
03-16-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm reading The Hedge Knight now, story about a hedge knight in the westeros universe, based about 100 years before the events of ASOIAF. Kickass. :cool: If I were you guys I'd get them both. There's only two novellas now, but supposedly he's planning up to nine.

Just hope he doesn't take as long as he's taking with the series tho. :angry: He lives in NM. I might have to grab my shottie and pay him a visit.

frik
04-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Just came across this thread..
I really like George R.R. Martin (His Fevre Dream is amazing..)and so far I've bought all four Fire & Ice books - they're still on my shelves in unread condition. I'll wait till 2025, when this series will be completed and then I'll read the whole thing straight through....

OK - I might have been a bit sarcastic, but I don't think I'll be off by that many years...

sk

ManOfWesternesse
04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
.....Just hope he doesn't take as long as he's taking with the series tho. :angry: He lives in NM. I might have to grab my shottie and pay him a visit.

Yeah!
i go back and check his website - the "ASoIaF Update" page. SAME MESSAGE still there since c. Jan 2008!!

John Blaze
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
yeah, it's horrible. According to his blog though, he's almost done with Dance. Hopefully my the end of the year?

fernandito
04-04-2010, 11:09 PM
yeah, it's horrible. According to his blog though, he's almost done with Dance. Hopefully my the end of the year?

Don't hold your breath. :arg:

John Blaze
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
lol, Do you read Gaiman's blog, feev? Did you see what he said when a fan brought up that Martin is taking too long on his books?

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

hilarious.

fernandito
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
"George R.R Martin is not your bitch." :lol:

Gaiman does have a point there, an author doesn't have to finish a novel in any kind of order, it's completely up to him/her. It still doesn't keep fans from being upset though, especially given the fact that some authors pass away before completing the series, leaving you to wonder how much differently it would have been if the given author had lived to finish it.

ladysai
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the link, JB! I love Gaiman's forthright answers and sense of humor!

As far as the next installment of ASoIaF...I believe all we can do is hope. (and pray, if you're a praying sort of person!)

John Blaze
04-06-2010, 04:23 PM
or drive up 6 hours to threaten him? :ninja:

.......is a joke! smile people! :P

Bethany
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
or drive up 6 hours to threaten him? :ninja:

.......is a joke! smile people! :P

I am so up for riding shotgun (pun intended? maybe si, maybe no) for this trip. Except first I'm kicking you in the teeth for getting me sucked in to this tar baby. :ninja:

I love the series! I'm not going to publicly post an opinion until I do a re-read.

fernandito
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM

fernandito
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm having a very difficult time getting through A Feast for Crows. Too much Samwell, too much Cersei, too much Brienne ...

John Blaze
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Dude, I love Brienne. Right now she and Bran and Tyrion are the only 3 I care about. Dany got boring as soon as she became queen.

alkanto
09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I love Tyrion and Jon, personally.

So the last book bored me....no Jon means no entertainment. Mostly because I crushed on him the first book, so...:P

John Blaze
09-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Have you read the preview Jon chapter from Dance? It's pretty good.

alkanto
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I have :D I'm really excited...makes the wait even longer, but if I know that's what I'm waiting for, I think I can handle it.

John Blaze
09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't think it'll be too much longer, but then again, I said that last November.

Bethany
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't think he's ever going to finish. :(

alkanto
09-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Well, I've dealt with an author dying before...
Not that I want to deal with it again, but I think Sanderson did a good job with Wheel of Time. But the question is - who could possibly take up the mantle of SOIAF?

John Blaze
09-08-2010, 02:47 AM
NO ONE!

I didn't read Jordan, but I really don't want that to happen.

alkanto
09-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Exactly! Which is what makes me so nervous....like I said, I've seen it done before. God knows I was skeptical of the results, though they turned out. But I don't think I will have that same luck.

Also, Jordan knew he was going to die, so he had is all laid out. The most likely scenario with Martin is that he just up-and-leaves. Then the series will have no hope.

But....who knows? Maybe he's got a plan we just don't know about? If any one did, I'd peg Martin for it.

Bethany
09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
I wasn't thinking about him dying. I've decided he enjoys all the attention and is somewhat of a dick and is purposefully not finishing the books.

John Blaze
09-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Maybe he's got them all written and is just fucking with out heads? :orely::borg:

fernandito
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
We should leave Martin alone, lest Neil Gaiman joins this site and lashes out at us :rofl:

John Blaze
09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
well Martin might not be my bitch, but Gaiman is. :P Write another Shadow book, Gaiman!...................bitch.

Bethany
09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Say that to his face ><

John Blaze
09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I did! I have a picture of him on my desk..... :unsure:

Bethany
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
That's just creepy.

fernandito
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Don't call Gaiman a bitch you bitch :angry:

John Blaze
09-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I no punk bitch, you punk bitch.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Tyrion FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......as you were.

fernandito
10-07-2010, 11:59 AM
You lurve Tyrion too ? :wub:

He's definitely become one of my favorite characters, right behind Lord Snow.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Yeah, he's my favorite thing about the series. He's dreamy....but strictly in like a personality type way. lol poor deformed little thing

alkanto
10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Count me in, too...Tyrion is my absolute favorite!
I'm legitimately a legal midget, so we are kindred spirits :D
(Uh....kinda. You know...apart from the killing, hatred, and a penchant for whores....)

Also, I have the biggest crush on Jon. He's my hero!

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah, he's my favorite thing about the series. He's dreamy....but strictly in like a personality type way. lol poor deformed little thingTyrion, Jon, Arya, Brienne--- in that order, are my faves. :)

Tyrion FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......as you were.

(Uh....kinda. You know...apart from the killing, hatred, and a penchant for whores....)

:D <3 :wub: :huglove:

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 03:55 PM
btw, glad to be seeing some action in this thread again.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Reviving old threads is just one of the many things I'm good for. lol

alkanto
10-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Likewise :couple:
Needless to say, I enjoy the identity change :clap:

OchrisO
10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I wish Tyrion would be King in the end, as unlikely as that probably is.

I like him so much because he is the only person that is unapologetically the asshole that he is in front or behind people's backs.

maerlyns_rainbow
10-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Me too, but I also doubt it would happen.

Bethany
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM

I like him so much because he is the only person that is unapologetically the asshole that he is in front or behind people's backs.

Tyrion never comes off as an asshole to me. :orely: Probably have way too much in common with him.

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Reviving old threads is just one of the many things I'm good for. lol:lol: That's great, too!

Likewise :couple:
Needless to say, I enjoy the identity change :clap:I've had the same name and av for 6 years, I just needed a change. :)

Also, I love this series. I even piss people off by saying it's better than the DT series. :P Right, Feev?

DUDE! Me too!

In the Westeros forum, there's a theory that he's a Targ bastard, and therefore will become one of the heads of the Dragon.

I hope it's true.

alkanto
10-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Better than DT, Lord Snow? (BTW-I've always wanted to say that....:P)
There, I have some trouble deciding. For me, the two are so epically different that I really can't make a real choice. I've read ASOIAF a lot more times than I have DT, but that's mainly to keep my memory refreshed while GRRM finishes the next one.

I do tend to think it is more encompassing than DT, if only because the reader gets very distinct viewpoints from all sides. That, I enjoy the most.

But whichever one wins at the moment, ASOIAF rocks! Now if he would just stop going on these damn trips...

ALSO: Tyrion as King? YES! :thumbsup: More power to the little people, I say! :)

John Blaze
10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Better than DT, Lord Snow? (BTW-I've always wanted to say that....:P)
There, I have some trouble deciding. For me, the two are so epically different that I really can't make a real choice. I've read ASOIAF a lot more times than I have DT, but that's mainly to keep my memory refreshed while GRRM finishes the next one. I know they're different, and I do love both series, but although SK is still my favorite author, ASOIAF is now my favorite series. The grittiness of it is awesome. Unlike King, were you might lose a good guy or two but the main protagonists always survive, GRRm has no compunctions about killing mofos left and right. I mean, come on, Eddard, right? Kickass dude, honorable to a fault? Main protagonist, you think he's going to the Wall and then blam, headless mother fucker! it's shocking, disappointing, but great, and that's why i love this series more, I think.

I do tend to think it is more encompassing than DT, if only because the reader gets very distinct viewpoints from all sides. That, I enjoy the most. Definitely love the POV's, specially Tyrion's. The way that guy thinks kicks ass.

But whichever one wins at the moment, ASOIAF rocks! Now if he would just stop going on these damn trips...
DUDE! He talks about how he's really trying, right? And then his Not-A-Blog is all like, "just got back from Australia, going to Ireland, then France! I love football! I love comic cons!"

And I'm like, "STAY HOME AND FINISH THE BOOK!!!!!!!":pullhair:

Seriously frustrating, that guy is!

ALSO: Tyrion as King? YES! :thumbsup: More power to the little people, I say! :):lol: halfman or not, dude rocks!

Bethany
10-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Annabeth finished Game of Thrones today. She locked herself in her room until she was done. She has already started the second book. :clap:

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Slow her down, she's gonna finish them too fast!

Bethany
10-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I think it took her right at a month to finish this one.

OchrisO
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
At that rate, Martin might be finished with page seven of DWD by the time she finishes them all.

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
At that rate, Martin might be finished with page seven of DWD by the time she finishes them all.
:lol:

I remember when I finished AFFC I looked his site up online and was like, OMG! He has like 800 pages done on the manuscript for Dance, kickass!

That was a year ago...............><

Seriously, it's only a 5 hour drive. 2 things stop me.

1. I don't want to scare him too bad and kill him by accident.

2. HE'S NEVER FUCKEN HOME!

OchrisO
10-14-2010, 09:07 PM

I remember when I finished AFFC I looked his site up online and was like, OMG! He has like 800 pages done on the manuscript for Dance, kickass!

I know deep in my soul that he is going to pull a Robert Jordan on me.

If so, I might immediately kill myself, not out of grief, but in hopes that there is an afterlife and I can find him and punch him in the dick.

Bethany
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

If so, I might immediately kill myself, not out of grief, but in hopes that there is an afterlife and I can find him and punch him in the dick.

Love it!

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:11 PM

:lol: :wtf: Dude, you honestly no shit made me lol. My wife's looking at me like I'm simpleminded right now.

Image in my head:
http://www.biffinsbridge.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/FalconPunch.gif

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope not, btw. I worry about this all the time.

OchrisO
10-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Hahahaha.

I'd probably go for more of an uppercut type of punch to make sure his satchel wasn't in a very good mood either.

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Tiger Uppercut instead of Falcon Punch?

OchrisO
10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Haha, that works.
Maybe a Shoryuken.

John Blaze
10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Haha, that works.
Maybe a Shoryuken.
:thumbsup:

fernandito
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
http://winter-is-coming.net/features/cast/

alkanto
10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
You have no idea how excited I am! Jon looks perfect! :D

And the rest of the cast is equally phenomenal. Particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

fernandito
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Yup ! And Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister !? :excited:

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I like them all, but I'm not fully happy with Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. He's small, yes, but Tyrion is not THAT small. There's different sizes of little people, I think they could have gone with someone bigger. Even if they had to cast an unknown.

fernandito
10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Also, although I love her, I don't like the casting of Hedley as Cersei Lannister ... I don't knwo why ...

alkanto
10-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Really? I pictured Tyrion as about that size. I think he's the absolute perfect choice.
But, I dunno...I might not see the size problem due to my own lack of vertical girth.

I also love Sean Bean as Ned. It's gonna break my heart when they kill him!

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Weird. i was just looking up sizes on IMDB. I compared Dinklage, whom i thought to be pretty short to Warwick Davis, who would have been MY choice, and Peter Dinklage, according to imdb, is 4'3, as opposed to Warwick Davis's 3'6. Weird. if that's right I'll drink me a tall glass of STFU now........

BTW, I LOVE the casting for Ser Piggy.

alkanto
10-15-2010, 12:25 PM
He's only 4'3"? Holy wow.....I thought I was so much taller than him. I hit about 4'10" on a good day...that's kinda depressing.
But good for him, regardless. It's sucks being this short, especially in acting. There have been so many part I haven't gotten because I was too short...

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, i see your point. I remembered Martin Klebba, looks wise he's exactly as I picture Tyrion, but he's only 4'1. IDK, I guess we'll have to wait and see how Dinklage does. According to Wikipedia, Dinklage is 4'5, so who knows? Dylan Postle is 4'4. IDK, I know in RL i've met LP's in the 5' range.

Then again, what's the exact definition of LP? i dated a girl who was 4'11 once, and as far as I know she had no conditions. But I went to college with a guy suffering from Achondroplasia who must have been 5'1 easy. IDK, it's pretty complicated.

alkanto
10-15-2010, 12:48 PM
I hardly pretend to be an expert on the classification of Little People, but according to the National website considers dwarfism to cover and genetic or disease condition that results in an adult human 4'10" and under.

What I have, if I could call myself a LP, is proportional dwarfism. Basically, that a version of the "disease" that results strictly from genetics. Everything about us is normal, as far as lengths of limbs and head size - 2 typical physical markers of either chondroplastic or androplastia - but for some reason our bones just stopped growing early. I haven't grown since I was 11-12.

The other, multiple, conditions usually cause some sort of physical handicap or disfigurement. That's what Tyrion had, for sure. I'm not sure where Dinklage falls in any category.

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 12:57 PM
So in other words, you're just short. :P

IDK how it all works, my sister is 5'4 and all of us males are over 6', so we call her tiny. :lol:

Genetics are weird, man!

alkanto
10-15-2010, 01:11 PM
yeah...I'm short.

It's weird though...the rest of my family is completely normal sized. It's genetic yes, but there's no way is it's normal, correctly-functioning genetics. I think the most typical cause is a malfunction in the pituitary gland, which is responsible for releasing the gH, or the hormone for bone growth.
I don't mind, really. I'm used to it. But I never really realize I am short until I see myself in pictures. Then I have the "holy shit, is that really how short I am?!?" moments...or when I compare foot sixes. I wear a 5...it's really freaking to find a six 5 shoe

Bethany
10-15-2010, 06:42 PM
My cousin is 4'11" and she carried twins. To 36 weeks, and they both weighed 7 pounds. She was one weird looking chick there at the end.

I'm with JB on Tyrion. Dinklage is forever tainted for me by Nip/Tuck.

OchrisO
10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
The problem I have with Dinklage is that they don't seem to be planning on fucking up his face. That dude is way too pretty to be Tyrion goddamned Lannister. He was already ugly and malformed before his face got smashed.

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
:lol: pretty boy Dinklage :lol:

John Blaze
10-15-2010, 11:52 PM
yeah...I'm short.

It's weird though...the rest of my family is completely normal sized. It's genetic yes, but there's no way is it's normal, correctly-functioning genetics. I think the most typical cause is a malfunction in the pituitary gland, which is responsible for releasing the gH, or the hormone for bone growth.
I don't mind, really. I'm used to it. But I never really realize I am short until I see myself in pictures. Then I have the "holy shit, is that really how short I am?!?" moments...or when I compare foot sixes. I wear a 5...it's really freaking to find a six 5 shoe
What's normal sized, anyways? I agree with you that something must have gone wrong for you to be shorter than the average in your family, but you're still normal, dude. :huglove:

Besides, being tall's over rated. If I had a dollar for every time I've bumped my fucken noggin at work.......I wouldn't need to come to work. :P

Bethany
10-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Repeated blows to the head....explains so much :cyclops: My ex used to hide stuff from me in the top kitchen cabinets :P There's an attorney in town that is 6'4" and he likes to come up behind me in court and prop up on my head.

My daughter has started Clash of Kings! I love having a kid that reads :wub:

fernandito
10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice ! How old is she ?

John Blaze
10-16-2010, 01:31 PM
:thumbsup:

Annabeth is cool. I wanna adopt her.

I hope my kids become readers.

Bethany
10-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Feev, she is almost 13. Good grief, that hurts to say!

JB, you can't have her! she's my sanity :)

alkanto
10-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Good for her! I was around the same age when I read both those and Sai King's work?

Has she started on the latter yet?

Bethany
10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
No, King is still taboo to her for some reason. I'm going to sneak Eyes of the Dragon in on her soon. I think that will hook her.

Erin
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Peter Dinklage is super hot. :wub: So while I think they should have uglied him up as Tyrion, I still won't mind staring at him every week.

I'm bored at work, so I'm about to go back and read this whole thread to see what we have and haven't discussed (has R + L = J been talked about to death? :p ). I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows on my ASOIAF re-read and have a lot of things I'd like to get into.

And I agree with what someone said earlier. A Song of Ice and Fire is better than the Dark Tower series. GASP! :cyclops:

alkanto
10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I've never really thought about it, but he is pretty :) Especially in that picture of him on the cast list. I think it's his eyes.

Also, from my perspective, height certainly isn't a turn-off :P

I really need to begin another re-read. It's been a couple of years, and I tend to forget minor details (or not so minor, depending on how many times I've read each volume. I've read the first 2 at least 4 times, so those are pretty solid. The others, though...I feel like such a bad fan!)

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Peter Dinklage is super hot. :wub: So while I think they should have uglied him up as Tyrion, I still won't mind staring at him every week.

I'm bored at work, so I'm about to go back and read this whole thread to see what we have and haven't discussed (has R + L = J been talked about to death? :p ). I'm halfway through A Feast for Crows on my ASOIAF re-read and have a lot of things I'd like to get into.

And I agree with what someone said earlier. A Song of Ice and Fire is better than the Dark Tower series. GASP! :cyclops:
Surprisingly, we haven't talked about Jon much. We haven't discussed any of the books much, just he show, mostly. Casting and such.

I have to admit it took me a reread to catch on that Renly and Loras were gay. :doh:

:lol: I'm such an idiot.

alkanto
10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't know if I ever consciously thought about that, either! But, now that you mention it....it makes sense :lol:

But really...we should talk about Jon more. And how he is the best character. And has the coolest companion...I love Jon :D

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
:couple:

Jon is the best. I'm surprised how little love Brienne gets though. I LOVE Brienne.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Brienne is awesome, but ... I don't think she's interesting enough to shoulder the narrative for as long as she's been doing in AFFC.

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Well I disagree. :P

Which poses a good question, friends and fellow readers. Which Character POV do you enjoy the most?

OchrisO
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Which poses a good question, friends and fellow readers. Which Character POV do you enjoy the most?

Tyrion Lannister.

Erin
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll bring up some Jon stuff when I get to work tomorrow, especially all the theories surrounding his real parents (things are at a slow point at work right now, so I need something to fill my time with :lol:)

As for my favorite POV, I love Tyrion and Jamie's POVs. I also really love reading Sansa's chapters, not necessarily because I like her character (although I'm sympathetic to her) but because so much interesting stuff and people fill her chapters. I love her interactions with the Hound, her views into Cersei's scheming in the earlier books and all the Littlefinger stuff. I also can't stand Cersei, but I love her POV in a Feast for Crows because I like seeing how delusional she is. She's a great villain.

He-Man...(do I know you? :lol: All these Halloween names are throwing me off) I love Brienne as well. I think she's great. Also, I didn't realize Loras/Renly thing either until I read about it online. Then when on my re-read, I was all...duh...why didn't I notice this before? Haha.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Tyrion Lannister.

This x 5 bazillion.

Bethany
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Dudes, I got the Renly/Loras the first time through and I'm the one that misses everything.

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I like Tyrion the best, but as smart as he is he is pretty innocent. Brienne is stupid and innocent, but she's pure of heart, so I love her. Arya is learning, Sansa is just plain tarded. Jon is my second favorite to read.

Erin, I'm JB, you dork.

John Blaze
10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
http://io9.com/5660273/george-rr-martins-a-dance-with-dragons-is-really-almost-done:dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup: :rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::t humbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool:: dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock ::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbs up::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance ::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::coo l::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool:

PARTAY!

Erin
10-20-2010, 06:24 AM
WOOOOO HOOOOOOO! I figured from all his blog posts that he was close to being finished, he had hinted around quite a bit!

And JB....hahahaha now I feel retarded. I should have known it was you based on what thread we were in. :wtf:

fernandito
10-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Sansa is just plain tarded...

BAH GAWD, THIS !

http://wrestlingtruth.com/images/avatars/jr.jpg

ladysai
10-20-2010, 12:33 PM
http://io9.com/5660273/george-rr-martins-a-dance-with-dragons-is-really-almost-done:dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup: :rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::t humbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool:: dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock ::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbs up::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance ::thumbsup::rock::cool::dance::thumbsup::rock::coo l::dance::thumbsup::rock::cool:

PARTAY!

ROCK!
That's awesome news!!!

(thanks for the update!)

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Sansa is just plain tarded...

BAH GAWD, THIS !

http://wrestlingtruth.com/images/avatars/jr.jpg

/thread

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone here have an account at westeros.org?

Bethany
10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Isn't that the place that was so mean to me?

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 04:08 PM
ONE PERSON was mean to you, I told you, get over it. Everyone else was cool. At the most I feel ignored sometimes, but that's only because it's such a huge forum.

Anyways, I read a theory about Darkstar being Ned's bastard yesterday, and Jon being R+L's baby, and how it kept Ned from lying. It's not true, I don't think, but it's still great to think about. Darkstar, something about that guy.

Bethany
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Perhaps you did not know that I am the queen of irrational dislikes and that site has made the list. Besides, you can tell me any good stuff you find out :P

ladysai
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Yep. That's an awesome site. Tons of cool speculation, and a wide variety of readers. Mostly pretty smart folks, too.
But, like you said, huge. There's a lot of reading to do if you want to keep up with it. And I havent been lately.

John Blaze
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm John Blaze there too, (ladysai??) Dorothy Gale. What's yours?

ladysai
10-21-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm ladysai there.
(here, too)

fernandito
10-21-2010, 04:00 AM
I think I'll make an account there too ...

John Blaze
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Tell me your name so I can razz you as a rookie. :P

alkanto
10-21-2010, 09:45 AM

No...I really like the series, but it's difficult to discuss, for whatever reason.

Plus, I try and limit myself to only a few forums at a time. And, I can talk about ASOIAF here, so why would I need to try and assimilate into a new community, when this one rocks so much?

Erin
10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm AriesRising19. I think I've only post like twice before, but I lurk and read things nearly daily.

Bruno...I hadn't seen that theory about the Darkstar yet. I'll have to check it out.

John Blaze
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
well the guy who posted it over complicated it, adding a twin for Jon, but it works better without it.

Erin
10-27-2010, 06:31 AM
I read the best few chapters last night in A Feast for Crows. Such good stuff in that book! Anyways, I'll start with this passage I've always loved from the series, between Genna (Lannister) Frey and Jamie while they are outside of Riverrun.

Genna: "Who will protect us now?"
Jaime: "He left a son."
Genna: "Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth."
Jamie: "Why do you say that?"
Genna: "Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joana's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I had said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years."

I just love this passage, especially after having just finished A Storm of Swords and witnessing the struggles between Tyrion and Tywin (especially Tywin freaking out when Tyrion says he wants to be named heir to Casterly Rock - man that scene was heartbreaking, I just wanted to hug Tyrion). It's nice to see that at least someone, his aunt, sees the strength and cunning in Tyrion, even if she fears him at the moment.

fernandito
10-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Should we add spoiler tags to our posts ? Some of us aren't caught up all the way yet ...

Erin
10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I went ahead and put spoiler tags. :)

fernandito
10-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks Erin :couple:

I didn't mean to be anal about it, but I know some of us that enter this thread haven't been caught up all the way yet, and I'd hate for something to be ruined for those who aren't and have to have all of these recent - awesome movie discussions come to a halt, ya know ?

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-27-2010, 12:05 PM
O.M.G.

Thanks to Erin I'm on book 3 now and its just as much book crack as Percy Jackson was for me! Especially book 3 just wow so far is crazy and I hate having to stop. I only read when I'm on the recumbent bike and I've increased my ride time and have even rode on my workout days off. I just love this series because I feel it throws a lot of cliches out the window. Its open season on everybody and you have no idea whos got it coming.

Right now I'm most interested in Jon, Arya, Brienne and of course Tyrion. I'm also very curious about all of Roberts bastards and their part to play.

I have to go ride now this thread got me so pumped!

John Blaze
10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I read the best few chapters last night in A Feast for Crows. Such good stuff in that book! Anyways, I'll start with this passage I've always loved from the series, between Genna (Lannister) Frey and Jamie while they are outside of Riverrun.

Genna: "Who will protect us now?"
Jaime: "He left a son."
Genna: "Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth."
Jamie: "Why do you say that?"
Genna: "Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joana's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I had said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year. Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years."

I just love this passage, especially after having just finished A Storm of Swords and witnessing the struggles between Tyrion and Tywin (especially Tywin freaking out when Tyrion says he wants to be named heir to Casterly Rock - man that scene was heartbreaking, I just wanted to hug Tyrion). It's nice to see that at least someone, his aunt, sees the strength and cunning in Tyrion, even if she fears him at the moment.
One of my favorite scenes in that book as well. There's alot of speculation as to if Tyrion will be one of the heads of the dragon, but I was thinking last night that there's no reason anyone isn't invited, just as there's no reason that states that they have to be Targs. Why not Jaime?

Erin
10-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Regarding the Heads of the Dragon, I've been reading a lot of theories on The Tower of the Hand website.

I really am starting to believe the theory that Aegon Targaryen is still alive. It's stated that Aegon looked like his father, Rhaegar with silver hair and violet eyes. When Arya meets Edric Dayne in ASOS, he's described as having silver hair and "big blue eyes, so dark they looked purple." This description depicts Targaryen traits, not the typical Dornish traits he should have.

Furthermore, we know Rhaegar and Arthur Dayne were good friends. Perhaps there was some baby switching going on when Ned returned Arthur Dayne's sword Dawn back to Dorne? This would more than explain Ashara Dayne's grief and why she threw herself from the tower. I'm beginning to think more and more that Ser Gregor smashed the real Edric Dayne's head against a wall and Aegon is still alive.

The only problem I see with this so far is that Edric tells Arya he's 12. However, he could have been lying or just confused as he also tells her he was Jon's milk brother (Wylla nursed both of them). Wouldn't this mean then that he was around the same age as Jon? 16 or so, which would put him as having been a newborn around the time King's Landing was sacked, aka when Aegon was a baby.

*edit*

Also, on Westeros in the "So Spake Martin" section, during a reading, someone asked George "Are Aegon and Rhaenys, Elia's children, well and truly dead?" He answered, somewhat cryptically: "All I have to say is that there is absolutely no doubt that little Princess Rhaenys was dragged from beneath her father's bed and slain".

Hmmmmmm.

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 10:35 AM
very interesting. :couple:

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, I just spent a good half hour reading an argument (I'd call it a discussion, but it wasn't) on GRRM's blog about whether or not he should include explicit m/m scenes in his books.

I'm a straight male. Not homophobic, maybe biased. But I do not want to see explicit m/m scenes in ASOIAF. I don't even like seeing the sex scenes that are in there, and just skim/skip them. Be it m/f, f/f, m/m; sex scenes for the most part are unneeded. I like how Dany's sex scenes were done. She needed release, she got it, nothing explicit about it. The Jaime/Cersei sex scene was a little icky, but not over the top. The Cersei gay sex scene was Over The Fucken TOP! I can agree it was needed to show how fucked up in the head Cersei is, but really people, WTF? I just don't want these books to turn into the Earth's Children series. When reading those books it got to the point I automatically skip like 3 pages every 15 pages or so. Damnit Jean Auel, get laid already.

Erin
10-28-2010, 12:09 PM
:rofl:

Oh man. I love the Earth's Children series, but you're more than right, the paleo-porn got out of hand. And speaking of those books, I think she's the only author who can rival GRRM on TAKING FOREVER TO WRITE A DAMN BOOK. :lol:

But on to what you're talking about, I agree totally. I think all the sex scenes with the exception of the one you've mentioned, have been really well written and not too over the top. I especially liked the Sam and Gilly sex scene. That being said, I'd have no problem if he explored further a gay relationship I'd have liked to have seen more between Renly and Loras, but lets keep it smut-free.

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 12:28 PM
:rofl:

1. Oh man. I love the Earth's Children series, but you're more than right, the paleo-porn got out of hand. And speaking of those books, I think she's the only author who can rival GRRM on TAKING FOREVER TO WRITE A DAMN BOOK. :lol:

2.But on to what you're talking about, I agree totally. I think all the sex scenes with the exception of the one you've mentioned, have been really well written and not too over the top. I especially liked the Sam and Gilly sex scene. That being said, I'd have no problem if he explored further a gay relationship I'd have liked to have seen more between Renly and Loras, but lets keep it smut-free.

1. The Land of Painted Caves was announced for March 29, 2011 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/32056404/Press-Release-The-Land-of-Painted-Caves-by-Jean-M-Auel). Not exactly gonna wait in line at midnight, but I plan on getting it. Besides the sex, I really like these books. The sex is very distracting, tbh. I think I should make a thread about sex scenes. Or maybe you should, then people might actually participate in it.

2. Sam and Gilly was very cool too. Mellow, not overstated. Just right. Renly and Loras would have been ok, as long as it wasn't all rimjobs and balls slapping chins, if I may be allowed to be crude. What I liked about the S&G scene was that it's stating what they're doing, but not, what THEY'RE DOING, if you catch my drift. Leave the penetration and all that out of it, I say. And stay true to the character, I don't want to see any out of the blue Jon and Satin bullshit.

Erin
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Seriously?! People are saying things about Jon and Satin? Jon seems 100% hetero to me.

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
You guys make me want to read faster. I have an order to start first then I can go ride (on my day off no less):excited::excited::excited:

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I know, but it don't stop the fanfic freaks, :lol:

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 01:07 PM
You guys make me want to read faster. I have an order to start first then I can go ride (on my day off no less):excited::excited::excited:
lol, you know you CAN read off the bike. I wish I could read on the treadmill, but I do the ones that move the treadmill, plus it's kinda jouncy to read while walking.

Erin
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Are you reading our spoilers, Mo?

And I can't read while working out either. I've tried, but like Bruno said, it's too jouncy for me.

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
and I despise audiobooks. I can't get into them like I do books.

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I have to do the reading on the bike because otherwise I need to work. Multi-task or bust ya know? For those that dont know me I crochet and this is my busy season. Since I already have the alloted time to work out I'm not cutting into work time.

Erin you know me well enough to know that I AM reading your spoilers! You dont remember back before DT7? I was the Spoiler Queen

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
I think its easier to read on the bike, but when I do intervals it gets rough!

Erin
10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah! Now that you mention that, I totally do. :lol:

I'm the same way, I read spoilers for everything. I'm horrible!

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I accidentally read the wiki page so I kinda have an idea, but that was when I was still on book 1 so I dont remember all the names. I read all these spoilers too, but I'll forget them once I start reading anyway!

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
i just started affc on my reread, I'm on page 40 or so. Where was this Arya meeting a Dayne? I want to go back and read it.

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm on Page 200ish and

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
and?

Bethany
10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Wow, I just spent a good half hour reading an argument (I'd call it a discussion, but it wasn't) on GRRM's blog about whether or not he should include explicit m/m scenes in his books.

I'm a straight male. Not homophobic, maybe biased. But I do not want to see explicit m/m scenes in ASOIAF. I don't even like seeing the sex scenes that are in there, and just skim/skip them. Be it m/f, f/f, m/m; sex scenes for the most part are unneeded. I like how Dany's sex scenes were done. She needed release, she got it, nothing explicit about it. The Jaime/Cersei sex scene was a little icky, but not over the top. The Cersei gay sex scene was Over The Fucken TOP! I can agree it was needed to show how fucked up in the head Cersei is, but really people, WTF? I just don't want these books to turn into the Earth's Children series. When reading those books it got to the point I automatically skip like 3 pages every 15 pages or so. Damnit Jean Auel, get laid already.

This was my main hesitation in letting Annabeth read them. But, I sorted out that her dad had been letting her watch South Park since she was like 4...

John Blaze
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM

This was my main hesitation in letting Annabeth read them. But, I sorted out that her dad had been letting her watch South Park since she was like 4...
lol, http://xkcd.com/751/

Bethany
10-28-2010, 03:13 PM
:wtf:

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
and?

And I dont know how to use the spoiler tag properly :cry:

Bethany
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Highlight the text you want marked and then hit the little button to the upper right that looks like a movie reel.

Erin
10-28-2010, 06:20 PM
i just started affc on my reread, I'm on page 40 or so. Where was this Arya meeting a Dayne? I want to go back and read it.

It's in A Storm of Swords when she meets up with Beric Dondarrion. I can't tell you the page because I have it on the Kindle and they don't do page numbers. But I just looked it up online and it looks like it's during Arya's 8th POV.

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Oh I think thats coming up for me, she's on her way now

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
And I'm on page 250

Erin
10-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I want!!!! :panic:

http://www.zazzle.com/winter_is_coming_shirt-235381720563090938

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Erin I was thinking of crocheting a cover for my reader something with Winter is Coming and maybe something like the HP Bag withe the shield

Yeah Sure Whatever
10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah Tyrion is supposed to wed Sansa, I know that cant happen, but damn that poor girl

Erin
10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
That would really be awesome Mo. I'm considering getting something from you for my Kindle.

Also.......

Don't be so sure Sansa won't marry Tyrion. :ninja: :P

John Blaze
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/ice-sword-of-eddard-stark/prod_9.html

I'm thinking of buying the damascus edition of this sword, when it is released. At the same time, I'm thinking, 600 dollars plus can buy me that ar-15 I've been wanting, and I can actually use that. IDK, i don't want to pay so much for something that's just gonna hang on the wall.

Erin
10-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow. That's so badass. But yeah, really pricey.