PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments of this book. *Spoilers*

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Everything from when Callahan meets Sayre to when he meets Walter. That whole scene is just awesome, awesome, awesome.

Letti
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Roland's dance.
Hands down.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I also loved the big dance, where Susannah sang and Roland danced the Commala.

Letti
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I also loved the big dance, where Susannah sang and Roland danced the Commala.

Man, I was there with them.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Another favorite moment of mine is when Jake, Eddie and Oy first go todash. I loved seeing the mobsters getting freaked by Eddie's unseen presence in the room.

MonteGss
12-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Eddie in this book was at his best. My favorite parts involve him...his todash trip with Jake and his confrontation with the gentlemen.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I love when he reads the letter left by Calvin's great great grandfather from Steven Deschain...gave me chills.

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm glad you brought this up because I never got it.

How in the hell did that all come about anyway?

MonteGss
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I love when he reads the letter left by Calvin's great great grandfather from Steven Deschain...gave me chills.

Did it say some place that the letter was written by Steven Deschain? I just listened to that part recently and I don't remember it being at all clear WHERE the letter/directions came from or WHO originally wrote it. I only remember the book saying it was from the will of Tower's great, great grandpa. Hmm.

jayson
12-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm glad to see several of you mentioned the night of the welcome party in the Calla, and Roland dancing the commala. But, so far nobody has mentioned my single favorite part of this book which comes from the same night... three words...

"Oy, Eld, Thankee"

I have no shame admitting that moment brought tears to my eyes and really shows Roland's humanity.

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm glad to see several of you mentioned the night of the welcome party in the Calla, and Roland dancing the commala. But, so far nobody has mentioned my single favorite part of this book which comes from the same night... three words...

"Oy, Eld, Thankee"

I have no shame admitting that moment brought tears to my eyes and really shows Roland's humanity.

That was a fantastic part.

Letti
12-19-2007, 10:25 AM

"Oy, Eld, Thankee"

You say true I say thank you.
I cried when Roland was dancing.

jayson
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
You say true I say thank you.
I cried when Roland was dancing.

Yes, Roland dancing the commala was a great and completely unexpected event. It made me cry when Eddie references it ... later.

Letti
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
That was the moment when I felt... yes... Roland has hope he is not lost and he deserves forgiveness.

jayson
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
That was the moment when I felt... yes... Roland has hope he is not lost and he deserves forgiveness.

It's definitely among the times you realize that for everything else he might be, Roland is still a human being.

Letti
12-19-2007, 10:55 AM

It's definitely among the times you realize that for everything else he might be, Roland is still a human being.

And what a human being..

(yesyes, I am a Roland junkie) :rolleyes:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
*Mails a wall sized poster of Roland to Letti for Christmas*

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Send all Roland related merchandise to - József körút 59-61 FSZT. 23
1085 Budapest
Hungary

Letti
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
*Mails a wall sized poster of Roland to Letti for Christmas*

Thank you dearest you would make my day with it but I wouldn't put it on my wall.
Roland is in my heart. That's the best place for him.

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Until the day he appears in your mind to draw you.:pullhair:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Roland is in my heart.

How did he get in there?? Does it hurt? Will you be needing surgery??

Letti
12-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Until the day he appears in your mind to draw you.:pullhair:

I am not a gunslinger type so I am not afraid.

Roland is in my heart.

How did he get in there?? Does it hurt? Will you be needing surgery??

Ask yourself, man.
You are there as well.

Back to the topic.
My forever favourtie part from the whole series is the dance of Roland. Not just from this one but from all of them.

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Back to the topic.
My forever favourtie part from the whole series is the dance of Roland. Not just from this one but from all of them.

I feel much the same way about Oy's greeting to the Calla folken.

Letti
12-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Back to the topic.

I feel much the same way about Oy's greeting to the Calla folken.

We were (almost) crying together, sai. :rose:

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Ka.

Letti
12-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Ka.

:rolleyes:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Mine is still the part of Callahan's story when he almost gets captured by Sayre up to where he ends up in the Doorway Cave. That whole sequence is just great.

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Mine is still the part of Callahan's story when he almost gets captured by Sayre up to where he ends up in the Doorway Cave. That whole sequence is just great.

Indeed. I think I said this before, but it's a shame Callahan and Brautigan never met. They'd have had a lot to palaver about.

Wuducynn
12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Hell yeah and then they could hang out with John Cullum in his cottage by a fire and go over all the amazing things that happened to them.

Matt
12-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Ask yourself, man.
You are there as well.

That was such a cool answer

Letti gives me warm fuzzies :wub:

MonteGss
12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
I liked Roland's final conversations with Benny Slightman the Rat. It could only been improved if only Roland had shot him dead. *shrugs*

Letti
12-22-2007, 12:13 PM
I liked Roland's final conversations with Benny Slightman the Rat. It could only been improved if only Roland had shot him dead. *shrugs*

I agreed with Roland. He got his punishment and for him it was worse to stay alive.

MonteGss
12-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I actually agree too. I just like me some shoot-em-up fighting. :)

Letti
12-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I actually agree too. I just like me some shoot-em-up fighting. :)

Didn't you get enough shooting? :)

MonteGss
12-22-2007, 03:22 PM
:evil: No.

jayson
12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Didn't you get enough shooting? :)

I usually find most books have at least one character that I wish Roland had shot that he doesn't. In this book it was Slightman. In W&G it was Cordelia.:shoot:

Letti
12-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't know. For my part I can't hate Cordelia so much.
And when life gives a real punishment if you shoot that person in fact you make them a favour.

TerribleT
12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
But a bullet seems so appropriate for some people, and those two deserved it, big time, right in the fucking eye.

jayson
12-23-2007, 08:48 AM
And when life gives a real punishment if you shoot that person in fact you make them a favour.

You're more forgiving than I. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but aside from Slightman, I find Cordelia to be the most despicable person Roland encounters in his wanderings. Cordelia sold her own niece's body. As for the punishment she eventually received from ka, it made it a bit better to know she suffered such a fate, but given the damage she'd done, I'd rather have seen her fall under Roland's guns.:shoot:

It's part of why I choose "amazement" in your Roland poll Letti. Letting Slightman walk away was something Roland did that I don't know that I would have been able to do myself.

Matt
12-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I think letting Slightman the elder walk away proved something about Roland. He may be an accomplished killer but he is also just and far from blood thirsty.

That is sometimes not plainly apparent in his character, especially early on imo.

jayson
12-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I think letting Slightman the elder walk away proved something about Roland. He may be an accomplished killer but he is also just and far from blood thirsty.

That is sometimes not plainly apparent in his character, especially early on imo.

It was one of many moments where you remember that Roland is still just a person. He may be a super-hero, a diplomat, a King, etc., but at heart, he's still just a dude.:shoot:

Letti
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

You're more forgiving than I. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but aside from Slightman, I find Cordelia to be the most despicable person Roland encounters in his wanderings. Cordelia sold her own niece's body. As for the punishment she eventually received from ka, it made it a bit better to know she suffered such a fate, but given the damage she'd done, I'd rather have seen her fall under Roland's guns.:shoot:

It's part of why I choose "amazement" in your Roland poll Letti. Letting Slightman walk away was something Roland did that I don't know that I would have been able to do myself.

I see.
But you know... maybe without Jake he would have done that. He would have killed him without any heistation. But with Jake on his side - and with the love in his heart - he knew what it's like when you lose your son...
I don't know what that's like but Roland does and (I think) that's why he didn't kill him.

jayson
01-02-2008, 04:15 AM
I see.
But you know... maybe without Jake he would have done that. He would have killed him without any heistation. But with Jake on his side - and with the love in his heart - he knew what it's like when you lose your son...
I don't know what that's like but Roland does and (I think) that's why he didn't kill him.

I agree, that it was because of the feelings he developed through his relationship with Jake that made him think twice about killing Slightman. I still think the people of the Calla have a right to know that one of their own sold them out to the Wolves. Whatever Slightman's loss over Benny, he still got to slink away without his neighbors knowing he was willing to sell-out their children to the Wolves.

Wuducynn
01-02-2008, 06:49 AM
The Calla's are just big farms for the Red. When you understand that, it all becomes okay.

John_and_Yoko
04-14-2008, 10:13 AM
These may be some of the less popular parts, but I have to admit it, now that I've finally finished the volume....

My favorite parts were the references to other works, at the end. To Harry Potter, and Star Wars--and especially 'Salem's Lot (which I've actually read now, say thankya).

I also liked Father Callahan's backstory, and seeing what happened to him after he left Jerusalem's Lot.

Calla Bryn Sturgis itself I kind of found boring at first, but I must have gotten used to it, because when Father Callahan went into 1977 New York, I found myself being bored by that. And now that I've read the volume and know what the Wolves are, for example, I doubt I'll find that boring the next time I read the series.

Storyslinger
04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
A lot of people found Callahan's backstory to be one of the better parts, including myself. Now that I've read the series over 10 times, the Wolves get better and better.

Letti
04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I did love the Calla folks and every simple line about them or their life. I love such people in real life as well.

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 06:10 AM
I did love the Calla folks and every simple line about them or their life. I love such people in real life as well.

Who is your favorite Calla-folken? I would have to say mine is Rosalita.

jayson
04-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Who is your favorite Calla-folken? I would have to say mine is Rosalita.

I'd have to say my favorite is Tian. He is the one that started the ball rolling towards standing up to the Wolves. I always remember that when Tian called his meeting about standing up to the Wolves, he had no idea that there were Gunslingers on the way to the Calla, if he even knew there were Gunslingers anywhere in the world anymore. Knowing this, I have to admire how courageous Tian was to even broach the subject of standing up to the Wolves knowing the arsenal they had. I can admire a man who would rather die protecting all of his children than live letting a single one of them be harmed.

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Tian rocks. Totally agreed. Just a working man that got fed up and stood up. :thumbsup: I would have to say he's my second.

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 06:30 AM
One of my favorite moments in this book is when Tian calls a Calla meeting and Callahan steps in and puts all the yellowbellies in their place. I'm like "Ohhhhh shit, now here is one tough mother-fucker"

jayson
04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
One of my favorite moments in this book is when Tian calls a Calla meeting and Callahan steps in and puts all the yellowbellies in their place. I'm like "Ohhhhh shit, now here is one tough mother-fucker"

i agree, i loved callahan in that scene. he's only outdone by the way roland handles some of the same cowards when he has his meeting with the folken.

Jean
04-16-2008, 06:40 AM
in my opinion, he - Callahan in that scene - is only outdone by Roland speaking to Blaine. All other cases are inferior to those two.

MonteGss
04-16-2008, 07:47 AM
"Chickenshit"
Yeah, great part!

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 01:14 PM
"Bag it! Save it for Sunday." :thumbsup:

Donald Callahan, The Anti Calvin Tower

Letti
04-27-2008, 11:36 PM
"Chickenshit"
Yeah, great part!

I loved that part. I wish I could use this word. :D

Jean
04-28-2008, 03:40 AM
"Bag it! Save it for Sunday." :thumbsup:
that is my absolute, all-time favorite. I have two: Callahan's first appearance and his debates with the townfolks, and Roland's stand against Blaine. (yes, I know it's in the other book, but these two are my absolute favorite dialogs from the whole series)

mia/susannah
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
I have not posted here because I am still on my reread of the series and this is the book I am currently reading and am almost to the end. I dont know if I can say one particurlar part is my favorite because there are several. I love it when Roland dances the commala. Susannah sings. Oy being introduced as the line of eld. I also love when Callahan puts the folken in their place. I love what Eddie did to Andy. The way he shut him down

Wuducynn
04-28-2008, 06:51 AM
I love it when Roland dances the commala. Susannah sings. Oy being introduced as the line of eld. I also love when

This is one of the warmest moments of the series for me.

ladysai
04-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I love it when Roland dances the commala. Susannah sings. Oy being introduced as the line of eld. I also love when

Oy! Eld! Thankee!
:wub:

jayson
04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Oy. Eld. Thankee - my fav moment of the whole series

John_and_Yoko
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Awww, me too! :D

Letti
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM

You are not alone with it.

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Not in the least.

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Oy! Eld! Thankee!
:wub:

I give ee "Oy! Eld! Thankee!" I'm feeling peckish, someone pass me the stew-pot.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I like Oy a lot, a great character in his own right.

I thought King took things a bit far in Waste Lands having having him tapping out a count of the amount of baddies behind the security door mind. Felt a bit like lassie on acid to me... but it didn't spoil the story or the character.

And he had a very pivotal role to play later.

Indigo_Seven
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
3) when Andolini looks in Eddie's eyes and realises he's doomed

2) When Eddie confronts Andy. "I can't see any guns," "No, actually all I see is a ____ing traitor..." and Andy's rage and creepy self-pity thereafter

1) "If you had found him- if you had found my boy- Slightman, would you have killed him?"

Letti
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
New favourite moment.
When the twins and their mother and Eddie and the roonts are playing with a rope on the yard of Tian. Touching.

MonteGss
06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Yes, I like that as well.
"Eddie Dean..you ain't never!"

stevesnow
06-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Some great stuff here already, but what about the New York Groove near the beginning? I've never been to NYC or anything but I've always found that section to be really vivid. After waiting for WotC to be published it was probably this chapter where it really felt like Roland and co were BACK!

I also really liked the very opening bit that was set in the Calla. Where they were debating what (if anything) to do about the Wolves. It was a nice change of pace and a great way to introduce the Calla and the residents.

MonteGss
06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
The "New York Groove" todash scene is awesome! I particularly love thinking of the song of the same name while picturing Eddie walking down the street on the way to the Rose. :)

ToeAndno
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Jake out at night heading towards to Dogan and the whole scene with him in there and the fear of getting caught.

I kept telling him to turn back, or keep still when he got there.

jessamine
10-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I love the part when Roland is on the porch with the Eisenhart's and Margaret has her hand under her apron. Once Roland is told of throwing the plate you can just hear his mind working. He is perfectly willing to accept the help and bravery of the women wanting to participate in the protection of their families.

LadyHitchhiker
10-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I love when Roland goes in the honky tonk and says, "how it's hanging?"

Ste Letto
11-21-2008, 09:21 AM
After the turgid and chaotic mess that was Wizard and Glass, my least favourite book of the series, I needed a lot of convincing that the tale was worth staying with. Thankfully WOTC got everything right.

It was a magnificent read, with a particularly well laid build up and a delightful homage to the Western genre which informs the whole Dark Tower story arc.

The book finally showed us how Roland's Ka Tet was meant to function together, performing the kind of duty they were intended for from the glory days of the Knights of Eld.

It gives us the one perfect moment, of the Gunslingers acting as one to overcome evil, namely the wolves, before Mia steals away Susannah.

Jean
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Wow, we didn't have such a thread before! What a shame indeed. It's my favorite book, too, for the reasons listed by Ste Letto above, and for many more that I expect people will develop in further posts!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Wuducynn
11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
"Was"? Or "is" your favorite? If "was" then what is your favorite of the series now and why Wolves no longer?

jayson
11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
The book finally showed us how Roland's Ka Tet was meant to function together, performing the kind of duty they were intended for from the glory days of the Knights of Eld.

I agree with this, but I think W&G shows Roland's original ka-tet functioning in much the same way.

Brainslinger
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
It's the first time we see the new ka-tet function in this way though, which I think was the point. Before then it was merely things that got in their way to the Tower. Here they actually step aside for a while and DO something, undertaking the very job the gunslingers of old (including the original ka-tet of Wizard and Glass) did.

The tone and subject matter and tone of the book does feel quite similar to Wizard and Glass to me too. There are major differences in that the The Calla is on on their side (but to be fair the Hambry folk were deceived.) but I think they are twin books in a way, even side by side.

An enjoyable book I thought. Slow moving but it kept me interested. And I loved catching up with Callahan.

Ste Letto
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
"Was"? Or "is" your favorite? If "was" then what is your favorite of the series now and why Wolves no longer?

Is, definitely, although The Dark Tower sometimes becomes my favourite for a short while.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what happened to Father Callahan, and thought his story could have stood as a novel in its own right.

Savoury
11-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I really loved WoTC (and W&G as well). The buildup was magnificent, the mystery of the wolves kept me entertained right up to the end. The interaction with the townsfolk and the Manni and the way Roland's ka-tet encounters their personal problems as well.

While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there. Still, I greatly enjoyed WoTC and the story seemed to really pick up in it.

at_one
12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
For some reason, and I wish I knew why as I am not a big fan of Susannah, the part where she showed her skills throwing the killer frisbees. The whole scene- The rest of the Ka-Tet recognizing the double plate holsters she had rigged up, the drawing of the wolf on the wall, and the biggest thing to me- the best illustration in the book (IMO) came at just the right time, just as I was reading about her throwing the plates I turned the page and BAM! It literally made my arm/neck hair stand up and I just stared at the page for 5 minutes...

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Susannah throwing the plates is about the only five pages of her that I can stand. It was a very cool scene.

mate211
12-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I loved Father Callahan's story about his "first" life.
http://sk.fps-hq.hu/pics/books/dt5.jpg
My book

Empath of the White
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
New favorite moment: Eddie taking out Andy.

That scene was really tense for me, mainly because the only way Eddie could read Andy was through his voice and his flashing eyes, and as we know, Andy was good at faking moods (or feelings, or emotions if you prefer).

Whitey Appleseed
01-11-2009, 08:08 AM
There's a pile of 'em and I'm still not done with the re-read. When they visit the rose. Nice. "Eddie saw great things and near misses...men who had come to a splitting of the way and chosen the right fork...a hundred thousand right answers, a million acts of unacknowledged kindness...He saw the Tower itself in the burning folds of the rose and for a moment understood its purpose: how it distributed its lines of force to all the worlds that were and held them steady in time's great helix."

"And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well."

Plus the priest's tale. I think I read it all so quickly the first time or two through that I missed so much, that Callahan was going todash. I enjoy the way King has stories within his stories and Callahan's story is great, answers some questions, raises others. Like when he was with Chumm's Traveling Wonder Show, that lost pet poster about RUTA...like are we going to get an answer in some future work? Yippe ki aye. "No cutting up. That's a big ten-four." An emotional roller coaster and one can't help but hurry to get back in line.

Wuducynn
01-11-2009, 08:17 AM
There's a pile of 'em and I'm still not done with the re-read. When they visit the rose. Nice. "Eddie saw great things and near misses...men who had come to a splitting of the way and chosen the right fork...a hundred thousand right answers, a million acts of unacknowledged kindness...He saw the Tower itself in the burning folds of the rose and for a moment understood its purpose: how it distributed its lines of force to all the worlds that were and held them steady in time's great helix."

"And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well."

I really loved that part of the book. Just reading it gives me chills.

Whitey Appleseed
01-11-2009, 08:36 AM
There's a bunch of stuff in the priest's tale that are enticing...like he says he went todash twice...but he was doing it all the time, no?...almost want to go back and read the first part again...I think it happens in a couple parts and I've re-read the first...but Callahan says something about todash to the Crimson King and some other place...don't recall, was it to Mexico?

I like how he says, "'Twas the drink, that's what I believe now, not God, not devils, not predestination, not the company of saints. 'Twas the drink" And when he relates about how Mark Petrie got away...something about a deep whirlpool...there's that bit about a whirlpool in Insomnia, to do with the green man... It's part of the text of 'salem's Lot, as well.

Ste Letto
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
How about when Roland wiped spittle on Slightman the elders face. There was something very cold and chilling about that whole scene.

DoctorDodge
04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, it's been a while since i read the book, but i did like Callahan's background story. Also, gotta love the cliffhanger ending. Always a fan of good cliffhangers!

Delah
09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I loved the slices of every day life: Half the girls in town getting crushes on Jake. Eddie and Susannah jumproping. Jake jumping in the hay with Benny. Roland letting the boy have a little fun.

And the tense scenes:

Eddie destroying Andy. Sussanah and he 'rizas. Jake and the kids caught on the arryo path. Roland's confrontation with Slightman might be my favorite part of the book. Roland's so lethal and angry and cold and hypocritical -- and he knows it. He wants to blow Slightman's brains out because Slightman would have killed Jake ... but he won't because he promised Jake he'd try not to. But he still wants Slightman to realize the utter depth and depravity of his actions ... because Roland's been there.

JameseyLefebure
12-29-2009, 05:57 AM
I finished this book last night and WOW!! Its amazing! I forgot how intense the final hundred or so pages were! I can't really think of a favourite bit - i do however love the conversation between mia and Susannah (where she asks her to wait until after the battle) and of course the part with the riza and susannah's harness was amazing!
This is easily one of my favourite books in the series - I think someone mentioned it before - because we get to see what gunslingers were before the world moved on. It was nice to see them all acting as gunslingers and having to deal with everything that comes with it (mainly the poor emotional affects of this on Jake when Benny goes pop)

WOW!! :) :) :)

Jamesey
xxx

Sickrose
12-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I love this book and my favs are:

The story of the Orizas and when the sisters are kicking arse with the Orizas when the wolves come. I love the scream of RIZA.

The Pere's story of course and the people he meets. Just perfect.

The bit where Roland remebers the battle at Jericho Hill - I think someone mentioned it in fav quotes - that whole scene culminating in ''THEN BLOW THAT FUCKING HORNE'' I love it. It sends shivers up my spine!

Roland and Rosalita and the tender love they share

Jake finding Andy and Slightmen in the Dogan

Roland dancing the commmala - in fact most of that first scene especially with Oy.

Even the beginning bit where the tet are just shooting the breeze and making their way

Todash

SynysterSaint
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there.

I would have to disagree with you there. While it certainly was not something I would have assumed would end up in WotC it definitely fits into place in the series.

The whole series is as much a redemption story for every character as it is for Roland, and Callahan's involvement in the story leads to his ultimate redemption after his damnation by Barlow. For that reason, I feel that his involvement and back-story are perfect for the tale. Not to mention his story really introduces us to the Can-toi and Taheen.

By the way Savoury, I only have one thing to say: Vicariously I live while the whole world dies :cool:

SynysterSaint
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
My favorite part of WotC would have to be: "Oy! Eld! Thankee!" Oy was always my favorite character and seeing him stand up and announce himself as the line of Eld and part of the tet was amazing. I got chills and admittedly cried a bit. This was only continued by Roland's dance of the Commala and Susannah's singing.

My second favorite part would have to be Callahan's story.

After that, it is Roland's confrontation of Slightman asking if he would have killed "[Roland's] son" while Jake smokes a cigarette off to the side. This is one of the moments where I felt more love for Jake than I ever thought I could for a fictional character. To me, Jake Chambers [Deschain] will always be real.

Brainslinger
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there.

I would have to disagree with you there. While it certainly was not something I would have assumed would end up in WotC it definitely fits into place in the series.

The whole series is as much a redemption story for every character as it is for Roland, and Callahan's involvement in the story leads to his ultimate redemption after his damnation by Barlow. For that reason, I feel that his involvement and back-story are perfect for the tale. Not to mention his story really introduces us to the Can-toi and Taheen.

I fixed the spoiler tags there as the button doesn't seem to do anything (although the button still appears).

Interesting take on Callahan's story there. To be honest, I didn't really feel it had much to do with the main story but I really liked it just the same, mainly because I liked the character in Salem's Lot and finding out what happened to him in the mean time was interesting. Besides I think background information is worthwhile for it's own sake.

Your take on redemption really does fit though. Especially considering what happens later...

SynysterSaint
12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Interesting take on Callahan's story there. To be honest, I didn't really feel it had much to do with the main story but I really liked it just the same, mainly because I liked the character in Salem's Lot and finding out what happened to him in the mean time was interesting. Besides I think background information is worthwhile for it's own sake.

Your take on redemption really does fit though. Especially considering what happens later...

I'm glad you liked my thoughts about Callahan's story :thumbsup:

And yes, I completely agree with you: I loved his character in 'Salem's Lot. Callahan was probably my favorite character, the second being Ben/Mark (I consider them two sides of the same coin, in a way).

Jean
12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
<...>This is easily one of my favourite books in the series<...>
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

iscream22
02-16-2010, 08:27 AM
DT 5 is indeed a magnificent read. Roland and his Ka-Tet didn't have to help the townspeople in Calla but it was Ka that determined that they must help the townsfolk.
Much of the preparing for the battle is amazing, it is such a page-turner. Hiding the children and Sussannah teaching the ladies to throw the plates. And the battle itself, EPIC. And the treacherous robot? I wanted him to die from when we were first introduced to him.

I also enjoy that DT5 is loosely based off of Akira Kurosawas legendary film "The Seven Samurai". If any of you out there are hardcore Wolves Of the Calla fans I strongly urge you to purchase the DVD of Seven Samurai (particularly the remastered 3 disc Criterion DVD) it is an amazing epic battle/drama film that I consider to be the best film ever made.:thumbsup:

Brainslinger
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
I think it's all ka, but specifically, I think the ka-tet helped the townsfolk because they were asked and it would be against the gunslinger's code to turn aside. And more importantly, it was the right thing to do.

The_Shoe
03-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Roland's dance!!

Callahan's story was great too! From start to finish!

arrawyn
05-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I JUST finished WotC like 10 minutes ago! and my fave parts were definitely Roland dancing the rice dance (and Oy bowing and introducing himself to the towns-folken that was adorable!). Roland having 'human' moments to me are great :). and also Eddie and the kids (and Zalia i think?) jump-roping - that was great.

and as cheezy (is that the right word?) and bizarre as it was, I liked (but at the same time thought it was silly) the very end where Pere finds the book 'Salem's Lot by SK and reads about himself.

can't wait to start SoS! (though from the feeling i've gathered on the site, lots of people don't like it very much?)

Yaksha
12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I always like the whole book. Especially the parts where they deal with the townspeople. I think this book makes all of them, especially Roloand, more human

killboi
12-18-2010, 03:24 AM
Come, Come, Commala tops d list

But then the scene in which eddie deals with those men stands apart too

grobblewobble
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
There are so many to choose from.. I will pick one that no one mentioned yet: the opening scene. Where Tian lets his sister plough Son of A Bitch. I absolutely loved that scene, it sucked me in to the book right from the beginning.

cupofcoffee
05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I think part of the reason I love Wolves of the Calla so much is the cover I have. Stupid and maybe kind of shallow, I know, but it's this one:

http://s510.photobucket.com/albums/s341/magcoffee/?action=view&current=ScreenShot2012-05-01at111856PM.png

The painterly quality, bright colors, and especially the font used in the title word mark kind of informed my experience with the book as a whole. It's so much warmer and more adventurous looking than the other DT covers I have. It looks positive, fun, almost happy. I felt it was a great match for the DT twinner of The Magnificent Seven. I look at it and can practically hear the movie's theme song play in my head.

Favorite moments were pretty varied. I loved "Oy, Eld, Thankee," Callahan's meeting with Walter, Roland's commala dance, the speech in the beginning where Tian convinces the town to appeal to the gunslingers, and the image of a trail of wagons spiriting the children off to hiding on the morning of the Wolves. My favorite of all is probably right at the end, when Roland jumps out from ambush and realizes there's no pain whatsoever in his hip. His gunslinger battle cry gives me chills very time, even though it's slightly rearranged each time he uses it. I think WotC version is my favorite, too:

Roland began counting to twenty, but when he got to nineteen decided he'd counted enough. He gathered his legs beneath him—there was no dry twist now, not so much as a twinge—and then pistoned upward with his father's gun held high in his hand.

"For Gilead and the Calla!" he roared. "Now, gunslingers! Now, you Sisters of Oriza! Now, now! Kill them! No quarter! Kill them all!"

By that point I really hated the Wolves and couldn't wait for them to be swept unprepared into the ka-tet's whirlwind of destruction, so the battle cry struck a perfect chord with me. The no quarter, kill them all is what always gets me. It's so righteously brutal.

Also really like the description of Ben Slightman Sr. picking up his son's disembodied arm and kissing the palm. I think I'd have say that's among both the most touching and most savage mental images in the whole Dark Tower series.