PDA

View Full Version : The 2012-2013 Oscars! Hosted by Seth McFarlane.

fernandito
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
It's that time of the year again! So it looks like Seth McFarlane will be hosting this upcoming Oscars ceremony

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/01/seth-macfarlane-to-host-the-oscars-breaking/

Pros? He's energetic, a relatively fresh face in mainstream Hollywood. Cons? His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.

-----

Anyway, on the the films themselves : What films have stood out for you this year? Performances?

Merlin1958
10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
The last installment of the "Dark Knight" trilogy should garner accolades, no? Or did TDK gleam a few "A" list awards? I forget...

fernandito
10-02-2012, 08:44 AM
The pompous assholes over at the Academy decided to rule The Dark Knight as ineligible for Best Picture because it was a "comic book movie". A bit myopic if you ask me. Heath did win for his portrayal of the Joker, however.

Ricky
10-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Not really a fan of Seth, but don't hate him either.

His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.

This pretty much sums it up.

The last installment of the "Dark Knight" trilogy should garner accolades, no? Or did TDK gleam a few "A" list awards? I forget...

I doubt that TDKR will get nominations for any awards aside from the technical ones. If there was ever a time for a Batman film to win Best Picture, it was The Dark Knight.

Brice
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
The pompous assholes over at the Academy decided to rule The Dark Knight as ineligible for Best Picture because it was a "comic book movie". A bit myopic if you ask me. Heath did win for his portrayal of the Joker, however.

No, it's not a comic book movie; it's a movie that happens to be based on a comic book. If it's best they shouldn't let their judgement be skewed by their own prejudgements.

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Not really a fan of Seth, but don't hate him either.

His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.

This pretty much sums it up.

I doubt that TDKR will get nominations for any awards aside from the technical ones. If there was ever a time for a Batman film to win Best Picture, it was The Dark Knight.

You are so right!! I was just using the Academy's LOTR logic.

Jean
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
It's that time of the year again!
I can't fucking believe it...

WeDealInLead
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM

No, it's not a comic book movie; it's a movie that happens to be based on a comic book. If it's best they shouldn't let their judgement be skewed by their own prejudgements.

Yup. History of Violence had two nominations and that was based on a graphic novel. I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.

Merlin1958
10-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Yup. History of Violence had two nominations and that was based on a graphic novel. I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.

Unfortunately, you are probably spot on!!

Ricky
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.

That was my thought, too. I don't understand the Academy anymore. Their thoughs and decisions constantly contradict each other.

You are so right!! I was just using the Academy's LOTR logic.

Yeah, I guess LOTR was nominated because it had more "intelligent" source material. Doesn't mean that it's true, but that's what I'd say their logic was.

Merlin1958
10-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Ricky, I was of the opinion that they waited until the last installment to heap on the accolades, but I could be wrong.

Ricky
10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
That sounds familiar, but it's been so long that I can't remember for sure.

Merlin1958
10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Yanks are set to win the division this evening!! 9-1 in the 7th!!! If anyone cares!!!

:YYY:

Still Servant
10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Wow! Time flies!

I'm not totally sold on MacFarlane as host. He's kind of annoying to me. He comes off as over confident and cocky. I've seen him host a few Comedy Central roasts and he's pretty funny. I was a fan of Family Guy when it aired originally, but couldn't get back into it when it came back. I feel the show relies too much on pop culture references for its laughs. I love pop culture references, but it's a little much sometimes. My views on Family Guy is summed up in the South Park episode about Family Guy.

Like Gilbert Gotfried said at one of the roasts, it's very hard for Seth to do a roast because the Simpsons haven't done it yet. Since the Simpsons haven't hosted the Oscars yet, we could be fucked.

Merlin1958
10-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Anyone think "Prometheus" has any kind of shot? I thought it was a really well done, thought provoking flick. Then again, the Academy does tend to shun "Sci-Fi", right?

Joe315
10-05-2012, 04:40 PM
They tend to shun a lot of great movies.

Still Servant
10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Anyone think "Prometheus" has any kind of shot? I thought it was a really well done, thought provoking flick. Then again, the Academy does tend to shun "Sci-Fi", right?

I really enjoyed Prometheus, but I thought it was going to better than it was. I came away a tad disappointed but that's probably because I built it up in my mind so much. I don't think it will get nominated for best film. The only chance it has are technical awards. If I had to choose a major award, I would say Fassbender for best supporting actor.

Jimimck
10-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I absolutely love Seth and his sense of humor. I only hope that he doesn't have to tune it down too much for the oscars.

He had me in tears during his Comedy Central Roasts that he hosted, and while I'm obviously not expacting that kind of himour, I do hope he brings a bit of "he didn't just say that did he" with him....

fernandito
01-08-2013, 12:22 PM
A sign of things to come?

Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow, Tom Hooper, Ang Lee and Steven Spielberg nominated by the Directors Guild of America. (http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/affleck-bigelow-hooper-lee-spielberg-nominated-by-dga)

pathoftheturtle
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Seth McFarlane is the voice of a generation. Not his own generation, but still. He has unstoppably succeeded because he's just the ideal personality to represent contemporary sensibilities.
Naturally, I don't like him.
They have been having trouble for a few years now getting a host that clicks.
This might work, which scares me a bit. :lol:
Oh well, I'm sure that it won't be a real bad thing as long as Ted does not get nominated!

Ricky
01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I think it's safe to say that they could get a rock to host the Oscars, and it'd be better than Franco last year (I had no problems with Hathaway).

Still Servant
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Ben Affleck, Kathryn Bigelow, Tom Hooper, Ang Lee and Steven Spielberg nominated by the Directors Guild of America. (http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/affleck-bigelow-hooper-lee-spielberg-nominated-by-dga)

Yeah, I think that sounds about right. Seems like those names are the consensus names I've been hearing. I think PTA might be able to sneak in. Also, the director of Amour could get in there. That movie is on fire right now. If I had to choose, I would say Tarantino gets in there. Django is hot right now. I could see Hooper being left out.

Also, Billy Crystal hosted last year. He wasn't nearly as memorable as in the past. He was still better than Franco/Hathaway the year before. Not Hathaway's fault, she was trying to carry him, but he was like an anchor.

Well, Oscar nominations come out Thursday. This is always an exciting time of year. Because I'm bored, I'm going to predict some nominations:

Best Picture
1. Argo
2. Lincoln
3. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Les Miserables
5. Silver Linings Playbook
6. Amour
7. Django Unchained
8. Skyfall
Life of Pi

Best Actor
1. Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
2. John Hawkes, The Sessions
3. Denzel Washington, Flight
4. Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
5. Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

You may hear Phoenix's name for The Master, but his disdain for the Oscars and everything that goes along with it means there is no way they honor him with a nomination.

Best Actress
1. Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
2. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
3. Naomi Watts, The Impossible
4. Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
5. Hellen Mirren, Hitchock

Mirren is my surprise pick here. There's always one. Hitchock was underwhelming, but her performance is supposed to be really good. I've heard a lot about the little girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild, but I think she is just too young.

Best Supporting Actress
1. Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
2. Sally Field, Lincoln
3. Helen Hunt, The Sessions
4. Amy Adams, The Master
5. Samantha Barks, Les Miserables

Most lists I've seen aren't even mentioning Barks. I'm just going on a hunch here. Plus, I'm not crazy about any of the other possibilities. Barks is a newcomer that really outshines some huge actors in the second half of Les Miserables. If she gets a nomination, I will look like a genius. :)

Best Supporting Actor
1. Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
3. Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook
4. Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
5. Leonardo diCaprio, Django Unchained

This was a hard one. I really like Arkin's performance in Argo and the Academy likes to reward comedic performances in the supporting category. I just think DiCaprio is so good in Django as a charmingly evil slave owner. He plays against type, which the Academy loves. Leo has never won, but he could take home his first Oscar. It's not going to be easy to beat Waltz who's equally as captivating in Django. Waltz has already won though and it was only 2 years ago. The other competition will be tough too. Should be interesting.

Ricky
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Also, Billy Crystal hosted last year. He wasn't nearly as memorable as in the past. He was still better than Franco/Hathaway the year before. Not Hathaway's fault, she was trying to carry him, but he was like an anchor.

Well, Oscar nominations come out Thursday. This is always an exciting time of year. Because I'm bored, I'm going to predict some nominations:

Best Picture
1. Argo
2. Lincoln
3. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Les Miserables
6. Amour
7. Django Unchained
8. Skyfall
Life of Pi

Ah! I totally forgot Billy Crystal hosted last year. I guess that tells you how memorable I thought he was.

I can't wait until Thursday. Not 100% sure on all of the BP nominees, but I'd bet money on a few (Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Les Miserables, and Django Unchained). Lots of films getting buzz, so I'm wondering if the Academy will go with the full 10, or less.

Still Servant
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I hate to say it, but Billy Crystal really wasn't very memorable at all last year. You're right. He's my favorite Oscar host, but something was off.

I think you might also be right about 10 films getting nominated. I could really see that happening. Nine films were nominated last year for best picture, and that was a weaker year for film. In the eyes of many that is.

Ricky
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
I definitely thought last year was a weaker year for film (compared to this year's offerings). I don't think I've seen too many of the probable nominees, but will before the show. And it's also nice to see some "darker" films getting some buzz (Zero Dark Thirty, Django, Les Miserables). Don't get me wrong, last year has some good films, but they were fairly lighthearted, in my opinion (Hugo, The Help, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, etc. I didn't see War Horse so can't comment on that one). Nothing in the vein of Black Swan, Winter's Bone, or True Grit from a couple years back.

Still Servant
01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I definitely thought last year was a weaker year for film (compared to this year's offerings). I don't think I've seen too many of the probable nominees, but will before the show. And it's also nice to see some "darker" films getting some buzz (Zero Dark Thirty, Django, Les Miserables). Don't get me wrong, last year has some good films, but they were fairly lighthearted, in my opinion (Hugo, The Help, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, etc. I didn't see War Horse so can't comment on that one). Nothing in the vein of Black Swan, Winter's Bone, or True Grit from a couple years back.

I too hope to see many of the films that get nominated before the big night. I'm really looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty. I didn't really notice it until you listed the films, but you're right, they were way more lighthearted. The Artist may be the lightest of light. I could see the Academy going in the complete opposite direction this year and giving it to something gritty like Zero Dark thirty.

Also, I just watched War Horse last week and I enjoyed it for what it was. It's beautifully shot and tugs at your heart strings, but it's also very cheesy at times and highly improbable. The other problem is lack of a main character. We are constantly shifting from POV's of the people that come into contact with the horse. Essentially, the horse is the main character. Not an easy thing to pull off.

War Horse also includes one of the most eye roll inducing scenes of the year where German soldiers and English soldiers in opposite trenches call a truce to help the horse. They are talking like they are life long buddies and the German soldier speaks perfect English. God forbid they should use subtitles because you know how much us American hate subtitles.

Ricky
01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
I could see the Academy going in the complete opposite direction this year and giving it to something gritty like Zero Dark thirty.

That would be great. Obviously I haven't seen it, but it looks really good. Homeland the Movie. ;)

And I saw all of the BP nominees last year except for War Horse. I just couldn't help not being interested in seeing it.

Ricky
01-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Lots of suprises in the nominations this morning. What was most suprising to me (and a lot of other people, it looks like) was the Best Director category: no nomination for Bigelow, Hooper, OR Affleck.

It seemed for a little while that Skyfall might get a BP nomination, but no dice. Makes me wonder if it would have if it weren't for Beasts of the Southern wild (another suprise, I thought) and Amour.

And while it definitely wasn't the best film of the year, it's a shame that The Dark Knight Rises wasn't nominated for a single thing. No sound, effects, mixing, nothing.

I haven't seen any of the BP nominees yet, but it definitely looks like a tough category. Lots of really good ones, by the looks of it.

Ricky
01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Lots of suprises in the nominations this morning. What was most suprising to me (and a lot of other people, it looks like) was the Best Director category: no nomination for Bigelow, Hooper, OR Affleck.

It seemed for a little while that Skyfall might get a BP nomination, but no dice. Makes me wonder if it would have if it weren't for Beasts of the Southern wild (another suprise, I thought) and Amour.

And while it definitely wasn't the best film of the year, it's a shame that The Dark Knight Rises wasn't nominated for a single thing. No sound, effects, mixing, nothing.

I haven't seen any of the BP nominees yet, but it definitely looks like a tough category. Lots of really good ones, by the looks of it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it'll be either Zero Dark Thirty or Lincoln.

Merlin1958
01-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Yeah, I think that sounds about right. Seems like those names are the consensus names I've been hearing. I think PTA might be able to sneak in. Also, the director of Amour could get in there. That movie is on fire right now. If I had to choose, I would say Tarantino gets in there. Django is hot right now. I could see Hooper being left out.

Best Picture
1. Argo
2. Lincoln
3. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Les Miserables
6. Amour
7. Django Unchained
8. Skyfall
Life of Pi

Best Actor
1. Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
2. John Hawkes, The Sessions
3. Denzel Washington, Flight
4. Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
5. Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

You may hear Phoenix's name for The Master, but his disdain for the Oscars and everything that goes along with it means there is no way they honor him with a nomination.

Best Actress
1. Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
2. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
3. Naomi Watts, The Impossible
4. Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
5. Hellen Mirren, Hitchock

Mirren is my surprise pick here. There's always one. Hitchock was underwhelming, but her performance is supposed to be really good. I've heard a lot about the little girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild, but I think she is just too young.

Best Supporting Actress
1. Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
2. Sally Field, Lincoln
3. Helen Hunt, The Sessions
4. Amy Adams, The Master
5. Samantha Barks, Les Miserables

Most lists I've seen aren't even mentioning Barks. I'm just going on a hunch here. Plus, I'm not crazy about any of the other possibilities. Barks is a newcomer that really outshines some huge actors in the second half of Les Miserables. If she gets a nomination, I will look like a genius. :)

Best Supporting Actor
1. Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
3. Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook
4. Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
5. Leonardo diCaprio, Django Unchained

This was a hard one. I really like Arkin's performance in Argo and the Academy likes to reward comedic performances in the supporting category. I just think DiCaprio is so good in Django as a charmingly evil slave owner. He plays against type, which the Academy loves. Leo has never won, but he could take home his first Oscar. It's not going to be easy to beat Waltz who's equally as captivating in Django. Waltz has already won though and it was only 2 years ago. The other competition will be tough too. Should be interesting.

I have yet to see the list. So, how'd you do?

Still Servant
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Merlin, I did pretty well with my predictions. I got only 1 best picture prediction wrong. I thought Skyfall might snag a nom and didn't see Beasts coming. I thought John Hawkes was going to get nominated and didn't think they would snub him in favor for the ungrateful Phoenix. Took a shot with Hellen Mirren in best actress category, it went to Wallis. Took another shot with Barks, but they went with Weaver, giving Silver Linings Playbook an acting nomination for every category. I also thought Leo would get a nom, but not surprised it went to Arkin.

Where I went wrong, and where most people went wrong is best director. This category just got blown up. No noms for Affleck, Tarantino, Hooper or Bigelow. The problem we are running into is that there are 9 nominations for best picture and only 5 for best director. This means some great directors are going to get left out. I was really surprised to see the director of Amour and Beasts to get noms. That came out of nowhere. I'm happy for O'Russell. I've been a fan of his work since Three Kings. The most surprising directing omission has to be Affleck. I thought he was a lock for a best director nom and the film was a front runner for best picture. I'm still worried that people are still not respecting Affleck as a director, but that's for another thread.

Ricky
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Thought these were pretty funny:

Best Picture Nominees Recast With Animals (http://loljam.com/post/4957/)

:lol:

Ricky
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Oscar Roadtrip (http://oscarroadtrip.com/welcome/)

Pretty cool! Coming to Baltimore on the 8th, so I'll see if I can track it down.