PDA

View Full Version : Series End?

Black Foot Yankee
09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Sorry if this question has been posted here before: Has King announced when the DT series will be complete? With new book(s) added (recent and coming soon...so I understand), I am unsure when King will wrap a ribbon around his masterpiece series.

Shannon
09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
The Dark Tower series, to me, are books 1-7. There can be a million spin-offs, extra stories, easter eggs, anecdotes, etc., but the main story is told.

Ben Staad
09-30-2012, 11:51 AM
The Dark Tower series, to me, are books 1-7. There can be a million spin-offs, extra stories, easter eggs, anecdotes, etc., but the main story is told.

Agreed! I think it is wrapped up with a untidy and grimy bow.

Merlin1958
09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
The "Dark Tower"quest was wrapped up (for better or worse) in volumes 1-7, The rest is anecdotes.

Does that help?

WeDealInLead
10-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I count Little Sisters of Eluria as necessary as any of the 7 books. WTTKH... not so much.

Robert Fulman
10-01-2012, 05:49 PM
In his recent interview with Neil Gaiman, King said that he is considering re-writing DT V-VII, a development I would totally welcome (not because I think they need to be re-written, but because I think re-writes are thematically consistent with the series). I'm in the minority on this, but I think if you throw out LSOE and WTTKH, then W&G has to go, too, because it contains relatively little actual "quest" content. Back to the thread's first post, I think that the DT series is currently complete, but I would be glad to entertain more entries in the series.

mattgreenbean
10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Joe could probably add some stories in the future. I'd totally welcome that.

sgc1999
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
DT dts:)

Merlin1958
10-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I count Little Sisters of Eluria as necessary as any of the 7 books. WTTKH... not so much.

I certainly respect your opinion, but if you count LSOE that highly then wouldn't BH be just as mandatory as you say? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed LSOE (Hey, Roland is in it), but it would seem by that logic that WTTKH is just as equally required (the Ka-tet is in it if, only briefly). I still maintain that 1-7 covers the quest/story and anything else is "Bonus material". See what I mean WDIL? Of course, JMHO is all.

Edit: Both LSOE & WTTKH do take place in Mid-World, as does a significant portion of BH, FWIW Just thinking out loud I guess.

Black Foot Yankee
10-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I am the type that enjoys reading a series in chronological order. It seems like King is releasing new DT book that are go betweens in the series. I would rather wait until he is done with the DT series before I re-read again. It's just my way.

:rock:

Merlin1958
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I am the type that enjoys reading a series in chronological order. It seems like King is releasing new DT book that are go betweens in the series. I would rather wait until he is done with the DT series before I re-read again. It's just my way.

:rock:

And I totally respect that choice. Go forth and read, my brother!!!

Black Foot Yankee
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
So from my point of view, has King announced when he will complete the series?

Robert Fulman
10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
As of 2004, the series was complete. Then he changed his mind and wrote wttkh. Now, the series is complete again. I don't think he has definitively said he will or will not write another book. Even if he did, i wouldn't believe him.

gsvec
10-02-2012, 04:17 PM
It will never end. Ever.

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Hasn't he already said that he is considering rewrites for the last three books ala "The Gunslinger"?

If so, then by your reckoning BFY you'll never get to re-read the series until he is dead. And then maybe!!!! Cause you just know he has material stockpiled away just like Tolkien.

BTW, LOVE the "Yankee" in your handle!!!!

:YYY:

mae
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Hasn't he already said that he is considering rewrites for the last three books ala "The Gunslinger"?

No, that doesn't sound right. Don't think he ever said that. Back when The Gunslinger was revised he talked that he might do the next two or something, but it never went more than that.

Merlin1958
10-02-2012, 08:21 PM

No, that doesn't sound right. Don't think he ever said that. Back when The Gunslinger was revised he talked that he might do the next two or something, but it never went more than that.

No? I could swear I read that somewhere. Are you sure?