PDA

View Full Version : King is 2nd on the Forbes 2012 authors list

mae
08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/10/forbes-richest-authors-list-2012

James Patterson and Stephen King might still top Forbes' yearly round-up of the world's richest authors, but the magazine is predicting its list will look a little more female-friendly next year.

Forbes, which calculates its annual compilation by using official figures and talking to book industry experts, found that Patterson earned $94m last year – a period which saw him publish 14 new titles and make more than double the amount of the second-placed King. Nine of the top 15 slots on the list were taken by male authors, including King (who earned $39m thanks to the release of his doorstopper novel about the assassination of JFK, 11/22/63), legal thriller writer John Grisham ($26m), Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney ($25m) and newcomer George RR Martin, who made $15m following the adaptation for television of his Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series.

The highest-ranking female writer on the list was Janet Evanovich, in third with earnings of $33m, but Forbes believes next year will present a very different picture. Not only will Suzanne Collins benefit from the full portion of the proceeds from the first Hunger Games film, and JK Rowling from the release of her first adult novel The Casual Vacancy this September, but EL James' record-breaking earnings from the erotic Fifty Shades trilogy, which sold 20 million copies in four months, will assure her "a place near the top of next year's top authors list", according to Forbes.

"At the height of Fifty Shades mania, the erotic novels were estimated to be generating as much as $1.3 million per week for their author, EL James. And that's not counting the $5 million she received from Universal Pictures and Focus Films for the theatrical rights," said the magazine, suggesting that perhaps Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, who made $14m last year, might deserve a cut as "James's books originated as works of Twilight fan fiction".

The world's highest-paid authors, according to Forbes

James Patterson: $94 million
Stephen King: $39 million
Janet Evanovich: $33 million
John Grisham: $26 million
Jeff Kinney, $25 million
Bill O'Reilly: $24 million
Nora Roberts: $23 million
Danielle Steel: $23 million
Suzanne Collins: $20 million
Dean Koontz: $19 million
JK Rowling: $17 million
George RR Martin: $15 million
Stephenie Meyer: $14 million
Ken Follett: $14 million
Rick Riordan: $13 million

TwistedNadine
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
You know I just cant believe Patterson did 14 (FOURTEEN) books in one year. More than one a month? I keep trying to read the rest of this article but I cant get past that one fact. However, what also didnt escape me is thats an average of 6.7mil per title vs King's 39mil for one...

biomieg
08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Doesn't Patterson collaborate with lots of other writers nowadays? I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff he actually wrote himself in these fourteen books amounts to no more than the equivalent of two, maybe three novels.

Impressive, nevertheless.

TwistedNadine
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Yes I think he does - and if I recall a recent commercial he does children books too, doesnt he? If I cared enough I would see what these 14 titles are that he published last year but I dont care enough so wont

RIC #520
08-10-2012, 01:05 PM
The article does not indicate where the income is coming from. I would think some income is from previous release books, movies, etc. Is that not true?

Ben Mears
08-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Doesn't Patterson collaborate with lots of other writers nowadays? I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff he actually wrote himself in these fourteen books amounts to no more than the equivalent of two, maybe three novels.

Impressive, nevertheless.

At this stage he is proabably more of a brand than author, similar to Clive Cussler.

Garrell
08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
My friend reads some of Patterson's books, depending on who writes them. So yes he writes almost none of them lately, he "loans" different characters/story lines out to certain authors:(

herbertwest
08-11-2012, 04:32 AM
14 books... that's crazy.

Brice
08-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Just imagine how many books King could crank out in a year if he did that. With how he writes if he pawned out characters and storylines he'd probably double his entire career output in a year. :lol: Yes, it would bug me, but it would also amuse the fuck out of me to see Patterson's reaction to reading next year's list and seeing that Stephen King wrote 60+ books this year.

TwistedNadine
08-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Just imagine how many books King could crank out in a year if he did that. With how he writes if he pawned out characters and storylines he'd probably double his entire career output in a year. :lol: Yes, it would bug me, but it would also amuse the fuck out of me to see Patterson's reaction to reading next year's list and seeing that Stephen King wrote 60+ books this year.

And imagine if King got paid on average 39mil for each ha ha - Patterson might just fall over dead

Merlin1958
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
You know, what would be really cool? A list of the top selling authors for their career!!! Now that would be interesting. Especially, considering that King is "retired" at the moment. Just a thought.

Empath of the White
08-13-2012, 05:33 AM
:wtf:How is Bill O'Reilly earning more than Jo?