PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to be...

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
HA! I bet you didnt think i'd quote shakespeare...well neither did i.....:orely: Soooo you insane but loveable (Cept Matt and AllHail... :P) people what are your favorite quotes from books, films, mad drunk crackheads in the alley path right next to macdonalds :panic: etc etc...

OchrisO
12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Henry David Thoreau

Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.

Only nature has a right to grieve perpetually, for she only is innocent. Soon the ice will melt, and the blackbirds sing along the river which he frequented, as pleasantly as ever. The same everlasting serenity will appear in this face of God, and we will not be sorrowful, if he is not.

Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed by them.

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.

The squirrel that you kill in jest, dies in earnest.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Emily Dickinson

Behavior is what a man does, not what he thinks, feels, or believes.

Forever is composed of nows.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.

Success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed.

They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.

Edgar Allan Poe

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.

Terry Goodkind

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed.

If God is so powerful, can he create a rock which he cannot lift?

J. K. Rowling

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

The Notebook

The best love is the kind that awakens the soul, makes us reach for more, plants a fire in our hearts and gives us the peace of mind.

Neil Gaiman

I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.

We all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.

Life -- and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison -- is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal.

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up a whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, nice quotes Chris :D

Dracula

I have no heart, I feel no love. Nor fear, nor joy, nor sorrow. I am hollow! And I will live... forever.

I can tell the character of a man by the sound of his heartbeat. Usually when I approach... I can almost dance to the beat… Strange that yours is so steady.

Sniper Wolf

I'll send you a love letter my dear. Do you know what that is? It's a bullet, straight from my gun to your heart.

I was born on a battlefield. Raised on a battlefield. Gunfire, sirens and screams... they were my lullabies... Hunted like dogs day after day... driven from our ragged shelters... That... was my life. Each morning, I'd wake up... and find a few more of my family or friends dead beside me. I'd stare at the morning sun...and pray to make it through the day. The governments of the world turned a blind eye to our misery. But then... he appeared. My hero... Saladin... he took me away from all that...

fernandito
12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Emiliano Zapata.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them. - Jane Austen

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams. - John Barrymore

There are lots of ways of being miserable, but there's only one way of being comfortable, and that is to stop running round after happiness. If you make up your mind not to be happy there's no reason why you shouldn't have a fairly good time. - Edith Wharton

Nothing, like something, happens anywhere. - Philip Larkin

Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest! - Shakespeare, Hamlet

Never to suffer would never to have been blessed. - Edgar Allan Poe

Darkthoughts
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Emiliano Zapata.

*high fives Feev*

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 05:47 AM
They call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." It's true; we're all for sale at some price or another. But you're different. Untamed, solitary. You're no dog. You're a wolf.

Humans were never meant to bring each other happiness. From the moment we are thrown into this world, we bring each other nothing but pain and agony.

The path you walk on has no end. Each step you take is paved with the corpses of your enemies...Their souls will haunt you forever... you shall have no peace...

The first mind I dove into was my father's. I could see nothing but hatred for me in his heart. My mother had died giving birth to me. I was sure he was going to kill me. When I came to, my village was engulfed in flames. I see you have suffered the same trauma.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 06:20 AM
Planescapes: Torment

What can change the nature of a man?

Letti
12-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Emiliano Zapata.

*high fives Feev*

absolutely

CPU
12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
My Grandpa - Fuck'em if they can't take a joke (ok, maybe he wasn't the first to say it, but he's the first person I ever heard it from.. :P ).

My mom's 5th husband - If you're so fucking smart, why aren't you rich?

sai blaine
12-17-2007, 08:30 AM
The question that once haunted my being's been answered. The future is not fixed. My choices are my own. And yet... how ironic... For I now find that I have no choice at all. I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.

Sai_Rhavan
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... - Terry Pratchett

I am death, not taxes. I turn up only once.
Death
Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay (1996)

Since you are having a near-death experience, I am logically, by extension, having a near-Vimes experience. Don't worry about me, I've brought a book.
Death to Sam Vimes
Terry Pratchett, Thud! (2005)

fernandito
12-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Emiliano Zapata.

*high fives Feev*

absolutely

Have you ladies seen the movie Viva Zapata with Marlon Brando as the charismatic Emiliano Z.?

Darkthoughts
12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
No, but I've seen Repo Man - they say it in that too ;)

ManOfWesternesse
12-18-2007, 05:23 AM
"To be, is to do"............ - Socrates.
"To do, is to be".............- Sartre.
"Do be do be do".............- Sinatra.
:lol:

Letti
12-18-2007, 05:46 AM
I always forget that this thread is about... :lol:

Odetta
12-18-2007, 07:50 AM
"Do or do not... there is no try" - Yoda

sai blaine
12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds. - HK-47

Revan & HK-47
Revan:: Whoa, slow down there. Yes, I did purchase you...
HK-47:: Explanation: Then you qualify as my master and I must refer to you as such. The legal requirements for models of my type are very specific, master.
Revan:: What legal requirements do you mean?
HK-47:: Answer: Simply that the distinction between 'killer' and 'killee' be a clear one. I cannot kill of my own volition, naturally.
Revan:: I don't think 'killee' is a word.
HK-47:: Expletive: Damn it, master, I am an assasination droid... not a dictionary!

fernandito
12-18-2007, 08:39 AM

Repo man? :)

Darkthoughts
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
It's a cult classic, you should watch it if you can get it;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/

Will
12-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Go go Repo Man. My dad gave me the soundtrack when I was a kid, pretty sure that's where punk started for me.

Matt
12-18-2007, 03:05 PM

I wish he would have remembered that when he fought Palpatine. :o

sai blaine
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM

I wish he would have remembered that when he fought Palpatine. :o

:rofl: Low blow

sai blaine
01-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Sigint: Uh, Snake... What are you doing?

Snake: I'm in a box.

Sigint: A cardboard box? Why are you...?

Snake: I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Sigint: Destiny...?

Snake: Yeah. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can't put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I'd found the key to true happiness.

Sigint: ...

Snake: Does any of that make sense?

Sigint: Not even a little.

Snake: You should come inside the box... Then you'll know what I mean.

Sigint: Man, I don't wanna know what you mean! Between you and Para-Medic, is everyone but me that is hooked up with the Major strange!?

Snake: ...

Sigint: Yeah, well, anyway, I suppose even that dumbass box might make a decent disguise if you wear it inside a building.

PedroPáramo
02-04-2008, 12:36 AM
"Cowards don't write novels. Or at least shouldn't."
-Xavier Velasco.

Jon
02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
-Winston Churchill

sai blaine
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Mr Saxon:This country is sick. This country needs healing. This country needs medicine. And, in fact, I would go as far as to say, what this country really needs right now...is a Doctor.

Mr Saxon: A glorious day! Downing Street rebuilt. The cabinet in session. Let the work of government begin.
[Saxon throws dossiers in the air. The cabinet appear unimpressed.]
Mr Saxon: Oh go on, crack a smile. It's funny, isn't it? Albert? Funny? No? A little bit?
Albert Dumfries, MP: Very funny, sir. But if we could get down to business, there is the matter of policy, of which we have very little.
Mr Saxon: No no no no no. Before we start all that, I just wanted to say: thank you. Thank you, one and all, you ugly, fat-faced bunch of wet, snivelling traitors.
Albert: Yes, quite. Very funny, but I think--
Mr Saxon: No. No. That wasn't funny. You see, I'm not making myself very clear. Funny is like this. [exaggerates a grin.] Not funny is like this. [exaggerates a frown.] And right now, I'm not like [grins again.], I'm like [frowns again.], because you are traitors. Yes, you are! As soon as you saw the votes swinging my way, you abandoned your parties and jumped on the Saxon bandwagon. So, this is your reward.
[Saxon dons gas mask.]
Albert: Excuse me, Prime Minister, but do you mind my asking, what is that?
Mr Saxon: [muffled.] It's a gas mask.
Albert: I beg your pardon?
Mr Saxon: [lifting gas mask up.] It's a gas mask. [smiles pleasantly, chuckles and replaces it on his face.]
Albert: Yes, but why are you wearing it?
Mr Saxon: [muffled.] Well, because of the gas.
Albert: I'm sorry?
Mr Saxon: [lifts it again.] Because of the gas.
Albert: What gas?!?
Mr Saxon: [leans back.] [muffled.] This gas.
[Speakers pop-up and release gas into the room.]
Albert: [spluttering.] You're insane!!
[Saxon grins and gives a double thumbs up]

The Master: Shall we decimate them? That sounds good, nice word, decimate. [To the Toclafane] Remove one tenth of the population!

The Master: And so it came to pass that the human race fell, and the Earth was no more. And I looked down upon my new dominion. As Master of all. And I thought it... good.

Ka-tet
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Pretty self explanatory...

"Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it"-Guess who:ninja:

"I dream therefore i am"-Agust Strindberg

Mark
02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
"We are the martians, the butt, ugly, martians!"- Butt Ugly Martians theme tune

Ka-tet
02-23-2008, 04:20 PM
"May the force be with you"-Pretty much anyone who was in a starwars movie ><

Ruthful
02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
One of my favorite Americans and historians!

I have a collection of Santayana's letters, which I think was published by Scribner sometime in the middle of the last century.

Cool thread, although this might be similar to ones that have been started elsewhere, FWIW.

Odetta
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
"A person is a person no matter how small." - Horton the elephant

Daghain
07-16-2008, 07:56 PM
3 of my favorites by Vonnegut:

Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.

Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

cozener
07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

I think some random Klingon said it in a Trek movie too.

My favorite quote is still...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

I think I like it so much because I've not only seen it proven many times but I've also proven it correct myself on more than one occasion...in fact, its something of a personal motto. :)

CPU
07-17-2008, 03:16 AM
This is one of my favorite quotes from a book (and I find it to be generally true..):

Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_Rule): "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."