PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play music?

jayson
12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Does anybody else here play music? I play guitar, and was wondering if anyone else here played anything.:rock:

Daghain
12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I took guitar lessons for 3 years and still can't play for shit. :lol:

OchrisO
12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I played a bunch of stuff in highschool, various lowbrass stuff and percussion. I was in a punk band for a while called Sweaty Toothed Madman where I played drums. I haven't actually played in forever, though.

Erin
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
I played clarinet in middle and high school band, but that's it.

My boyfriend has played drums for 14 years and can play guitar as well. I'm jealous, I'd love to have more musical talent...especially piano.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking of taking up the guitar again - but after 9 years in a factory, I'm not sure my wrists could take it. :(

Sai Joshua
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I can play tuba, trombone and baritone. I play a little harmonica, but I am no professional. I am singing in a college show choir right now, I guess that is what I do best musically.

Jean
12-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I play acoustic guitar passably well - when I was younger I used to play and sing on the street for money. Can also do some piano, flute and recorder playing, but not very good.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Ahh, recorder - I can fake that when needs be. :D

I've tried to pick up Irish flute, but I've been lazy about it. I brought one back from Ireland in '03 and have yet to really work on it.

Hmm, maybe I need to reconsider what I do in my free time. :lol:

Jean
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
what is Irish flute?

Daghain
12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
My bad. Irish whistle. :lol:

Tired.

Kevin
12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Ahh, recorder - I can fake that when needs be. :D

I've tried to pick up Irish flute, but I've been lazy about it. I brought one back from Ireland in '03 and have yet to really work on it.

Hmm, maybe I need to reconsider what I do in my free time. :lol:

If that requires less time on the site, and more time with some whistle...the answer is no. :nope:

:lol:

I used to be half decent at the alto sax, but I gave that up last year.

Jean
12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
If that requires less time on the site, and more time with some whistle...the answer is no. :nope:
hear, hear!

Daghain
12-10-2007, 11:07 PM

:lol: And that's why I love you, Kevin. :D

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I play guitar really badly - I have an acoustic and electric. I've been playing for about 7 years, but i taught myself...so when I say I'm bad, I'm not being modest :P

Odetta
12-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, I am the resident piano/keyboard teacher here on .com! Been teaching for 19 years. I also play clarinet (used to teach this as well), and a little guitar.
Played in a local rock band for a couple of years as well.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 07:44 AM
I used to be fairly good on the harmonica, that count?

OchrisO
12-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I really miss playing music. I wish I had the time to be in a band again.

Matt
12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
I can't play a lick :(

but I practice the skin flute as much as possible. :lol:

jayson
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM

all instruments serve the beam.

DTrose19
12-11-2007, 10:43 AM
I play the flute fluently, been playing for 6 years now. I've been trying to learn the guitar but it aint workin at all. I can play a little keyboard but not well, and used to play the fiddle but I think I forgot how, haven't played in about 7 years now.:rose:

Brice
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I play the

...radio. :P

I have probably more than twenty instruments in the house with me now and can't play a note.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 12:10 PM

all instruments serve the beam.

Thank ya, big-big!

Grillslinger
12-13-2007, 07:37 AM
I play piano and guitar. I have always been very fond of Blues music. For about two weeks now, I've been learning to play blues harmonica.

Who else here plays instruments, and what kind of music do you enjoy playing?

Jimmy
12-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I don't play any instruments but I used to front a band. We had a lot of fun and I'd do it again if my voice hadn't gone to shit.

I need to retrain it. :)

jayson
12-14-2007, 07:37 AM
I play piano and guitar. I have always been very fond of Blues music. For about two weeks now, I've been learning to play blues harmonica.

Who else here plays instruments, and what kind of music do you enjoy playing?

I would love to learn piano. The sound of (a) any good acoustic piano, and (b) a fender rhodes organ, are two of my favorites in the tone spectrum.

I also enjoy blues, and play a bit in that style though it is far from my area of expertise. It is a good style to know how to play in when it comes to playing with others as there is a lot of common ground there.

Odetta
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Well, if you want any tips on how to play the piano, just ask me!

jayson
12-14-2007, 07:48 AM

I don't read music, and most of the materials I have seen on learning piano seem to require that I do. It's not that I can't learn, but was wondering how essential you think it is to learning basics of playing. I don't know how it compares to learning guitar where one can learn a few chord formations and scales through repetition and a good deal of practice can learn how to use those chords/scales to play any number of songs without being able to read them from sheet music. does that parallel in any way with piano?

alinda
12-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I am currently taking piano lessons from my MOM.:thumbsup:

Odetta
12-14-2007, 11:12 AM

I don't read music, and most of the materials I have seen on learning piano seem to require that I do. It's not that I can't learn, but was wondering how essential you think it is to learning basics of playing. I don't know how it compares to learning guitar where one can learn a few chord formations and scales through repetition and a good deal of practice can learn how to use those chords/scales to play any number of songs without being able to read them from sheet music. does that parallel in any way with piano?

Well, to be honest, you NEED to be able to read music for piano. I know that guitar doesn't require it, and if you understand chording you can do that on piano, but minimal music reading ability is needed for the keyboard.

THAT being said... you can learn to read music in about 30 minutes... no shit. I have taught people that fast to learn how to read. What it really takes is practice reading.
If you really want some help in this area, PM me and maybe I can assist you.

Alinda, mommy teaching you, huh? I won't even teach my 6 year old anymore!
Good luck!

alinda
12-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Odetta, yeah my MOM is 85 and I am well 52. I have recently bought her a house, and we are living together for the first time since about 1974. Anyway she plays extremely well, and the is alot of time with just not alot for us to do ( how many word puzzles can you do a day? ) so I asked her if she would teach me....and its been really great. Our music tastes are not at all alike as you can imagine , but I am learning some classical stuff that I like very much.
I am sure she wouldnt have tried to teach me @ 6 y/o either!! I would have been too busy doing something very much like this:panic:

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I play trombone, some baritone, tenor sax, some clarinet, some piano/keyboards, program drums and drum machines, and will be a Theremin player in a week (seriously!), and I was the only bass/low baritone in the school chamber choir.

ATG
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I do;

www.paganblues.com

jayson
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
very cool ATG. i listened to some of those tracks. good stuff! which instrument[s] are you?

ATG
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
very cool ATG. i listened to some of those tracks. good stuff! which instrument[s] are you?

Mostly bass.

This site; http://www.7161.com/artist.cfm?user=12088&carrywith=&music_group=2

if you scroll down, has a mix of stuff from all three of our records.

She's The Thing (http://www.7161.com/track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=14681&user=12088&start=&end=&select_flava_id=&music_type=&name_search=&music_group=2) is a song I wrote the lyrics and did all guitars for.

I was going to sing it, but Scotti is too strong.

ATG
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
ps,

My wife is the female vocalist/violin player.

Her song Billy (http://www.7161.com/track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=14680&user=12088&start=&end=&select_flava_id=&music_type=&name_search=&music_group=2) seems pretty strong.

You click the audiofile hi-fi and it will play.

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:15 PM
very cool, i play some bass myself. i will def have to check out more of the tracks. that's awesome that your wife plays as well, it must be great fun to play music together.

ATG
01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
very cool, i play some bass myself. i will def have to check out more of the tracks. that's awesome that your wife plays as well, it must be great fun to play music together.

lol, it drove me crazy!

Our 4th record will just be the three boyz.

7161 downloads are full length and free, so please enjoy and share all you like.

One of our songs " FrankandBunny " was actually well received via that site in the UK.

obscurejude
01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
R of G. I've played the guitar for about about 12 years. My musical tastes have changed/developed over the years. I stopped using a pick for about three years and tried voraciously to get better at finger picking. I've recently got my hands on a vintage telecaster and have been rediscovering the blues. I'm still heavily inclined toward the acoustic guitar.

jayson
01-29-2008, 04:14 AM
very cool OJ. i just re-strung my acoustic last week after not playing with it for awhile, and i am remembering just how much i love it's tone.

Jorge
01-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, let's see here... I'm a rather competent French Horn and trumpet player, though I've had experience with pretty much all brass instruments. I also have been teaching myself some piano, but my progress is a little slow so far. I've been known to play a little base from time to time as well, but nothing very intricate so far. Just basic stuff. Guitar will be next on the docket.

jayson
01-29-2008, 06:50 AM
awesome jorge! between you and frunoblax my horn section is coming along nicely. we could all form a big orchestra and call ourselves "The Roland Deschain Ka-Tet"

obscurejude
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM
very cool OJ. i just re-strung my acoustic last week after not playing with it for awhile, and i am remembering just how much i love it's tone.

There's something about that natural feel and tone of plucking the strings with your fingers that you can't get with a pick. I've recently discovered that I like the tone a lot better when I finger pick my telecaster (at least when it comes to blues licks). I love the sound John Mayer gets on "Slow Dancing in Burning Room" which he finger picks during the lead parts. Continuum is a very fun album to play along to. Almost everything is in E.

jayson
01-29-2008, 09:31 AM
i have been trying to learn to play slide, and have thus been playing a lot in open tunings, one being the open E favored by Duane Allman and Derek Trucks among others. I find it to be a very good key in which to improvise.

The last time I got into playing my acoustic I did find a variation of open G tuning that "sounds hawai'ian doesn't it" in which i love to play my take on "Brazil"

obscurejude
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Sounds cool R of G. I don't fiddle in those much, but I had a period where I played a lot of DAGDAD and or slight variations. I haven't played much slide, but I applaud you on your effort. I would play around with more tunings but for a long time (being a starving student) I only had one guitar and it really is a pain in the ass to tune back and forth (especially during a live set). I had to keep it simple, and thus I did. More experimentation pending more funds.

jayson
01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
agreed on the re-tuning, though it has helped my ear for pitch quite a bit. my slide playing is abyssmal, but i enjoyed playing without a slide in those tunings as well.

obscurejude
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I really like Dashboard Confessional's very old stuff (Drowning EP, Swiss Army Romance, and Places You Have Come to Fear the Most). I listened to Dashboard when Chris was still selling CD's out of his trunk after Further Seems Forever shows. Learning his early stuff was how I stumbled into DAGDAD and acoustic emo (for lack of a better term- I'm also a huge Elliott Smith fan who probably never heard the term).

William50
01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I play guitar, trumpet, drums, and a little keyboard.

jayson
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
very cool william! i tried to learn trumpet when i was in grade school but quit bc it was too hard at the time. i really wish i stuck with it. i'd rule by now.

William50
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I am only in 8th grade, so I am sort of a beginner at the trumpet. But I won an award!

jayson
01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
good for you dude. stick with it!

obscurejude
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah william. I wished my parents would have gotten me introduced to playing music when I was younger. Its hard take the time you need to get better after you are out in the world. Keep it up.

devo133
02-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Does anyone play an instrument? You can post any vids you'd like to share here. Here's me playing along to RHCP's Soul to Squeeze on my strat. I f'd up near the end lol, got distracted switching on my chorus pedal

YouTube - RHCP's Soul To Squeeze

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
the smilie tags fucked it up. Try just posting the address, it'll embed automatically.

devo133
02-20-2008, 01:06 AM
aha! there we go thanks!

OchrisO
02-20-2008, 01:51 AM
I used to play drums in a local punk band, but I don't think there are any videos of our shows.

John Blaze
02-20-2008, 01:52 AM
no problem. I don't play any instruments, but I wish I did. My parents never could afford lessons for us. My kids will learn guitar for sure, and maybe even piano.

Mattrick
02-20-2008, 02:03 AM
I've been slowly learning how to play the guitar for years. It's the kind of thing I intend to progress through my whole life so I'm in no rush. I don't know many complete songs and my taste ranges from Elton John to Slipknot so there is a lot of variation and different types of guitar to play. I picked it up late, after all my friends were already badass with it so I felt really behind compared to the rest of the group. I'm not even concerned with learning songs right now, just getting a feel for the guitar. Making that entire thing to be embedded in my psyche so when I see 8th fret on D string it's instantaneous.

I've bean learning many scales, alternate picking, finger tapping and practicing slides, hammers, bends, vibratos etc. from making my own stuff up. Sometimes I just strum with 20 chords I know and practice making rhytms and beats. Strumming to me is incredibly infuriating because I'm not very good at it and while I know the chords from looking at a tab, I've no clue how long to play it for, how fast to strum, if it should be up or down stroke, which strings to hit and I have to listen for the song for this but other pieces of the music distract me from learning that exactly, say lead interferes or the singing and I say 'to hell with it' and never get around to finishing it. There are a lot of simple songs I've learned like Green Day yet I'm so completely uninterested on strumming powercords and playing mono-string solos because it's not that fun. Yet I'm not good enough yet to learn Nothing Else Matters (though I can play the first 45 seconds like gold) or Paint It Black.

Funny, my friend Austin plays guitar so weird. He's left handed but never had a left handed guitar to play so he plays a right handed guitar upside down. Tabs are straight forward to him. He says because he's so used to it it's easy to play but some parts of songs can be really challenging to learn or, the odd case, completely impossible for him. Anyways, he's trying to teach me Stairway To Heaven while having a smoke. "It's really easy, it's not that difficult. You should be able to learn it." He starts playing it, gets about fifteen seconds in and stops, plays the next part and stops. "Okay, this part is pretty hard." and I say "but you just said it was easy!"

What's amazing is how good my friends are at guitar. One of them, lead guitar for their band, is fucking phenomenonal. The skills he has amassed over the years. Whenever he plays it seems as if he's not even trying and his bandmates often get angry that he's ahead of them. He actually has to downgrade to play their music, which itself is pretty quick and intricate.

jayson
02-20-2008, 04:17 AM
I play guitar as well. Been playing for a little over 8 years at this point. I would hesitate to call myself anything other than a "hobbyist" though my playing has improved significantly in the last year or so. I don't read music, though I am learning. I'm trying to think of how to describe my personal "style," and all I can think to say is that if you know who Marc Ribot and Bill Frisell are, you can get a pretty good idea of the direction most of my playing takes. I also play bass and would LOVE to learn how to play piano once I learn to read music fully.

Jean
02-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Jayson: if my memory serves me well (which it does, because I have just checked), you started an exactly the same thread some time ago

devo133: there may be some merge coming soon...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

jayson
02-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Jean, as you already know, you are correct. feel free to merge mine into Devo's or vice versa or however you do these things. it'd be good to get all of us musicians talking to each other in one place.

Brice
02-20-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm about to merge this thread into the older similar thread. :)

obscurejude
03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
I just bought a new telecaster. Black with white pick-guard. I'll try and post a pic soon so my friend from Florida (the toneslinger) can appreciate the new purchase.

jayson
03-10-2008, 03:45 AM
you mean so i can formulate a "steal Ryan's Tele" plan? :lol: seriously, though, post pics bc i def want to see it. i will take some pics of my axes as well.

CRinVA
03-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Well, I can tell you, I play a mean "Stereo" I do! :excited: Many many moons ago when I was but a lad my sisters both played the Accordian - pretty goofy yep! We lived with my Grandparents and my grandmother just loved that lawrence Welk music! :-)

My kids all play or played at one time

Girls both played Violin
Boys both played Violas; one also played Clarinet

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm trying to learn to play the Harmonica.

Grillslinger
03-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I've been playing blues harmonica since Novemeber. I love it. It's a very fun instrument...but a lot harder than it looks.

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I dunno, looks pretty hard to me, at least when certain people play. I think I might be able to imitate Springsteen or somebody if I was dedicated for a while. If you play blues harmonica, is it tuned to E usually or G? Keep it up fellas.

jayson
03-10-2008, 07:30 AM
i was just watching some live neil young this wknd and commenting to my wife that harmonica is not as easy as it looks, not to mention playing it, singing, and playing guitar at the same time as neil can do.

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I was watching some old Springsteen footage recently and was really drawn to it as well. I really should try it out sometime. I do a lot of the singer/songwriter stuff (at least I try to anyways).

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 07:34 AM
There was also a cool harmonica solo in a live performance of Jack Johnson's "Better Together" that was cool as hell. Settled, we must begin the harmonica Jayson. Thanks grillslinger. :thumbsup:

jayson
03-10-2008, 07:42 AM
i actually have little use for it in my own playing, but i do appreciate it's use

Grillslinger
03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I dunno, looks pretty hard to me, at least when certain people play. I think I might be able to imitate Springsteen or somebody if I was dedicated for a while. If you play blues harmonica, is it tuned to E usually or G? Keep it up fellas.

Diatonic harmonicas (which are the standard 10 hole harmonicas you see most often) come in different keys. So you would use a D harmonica for a song in key of D.

However, if you are playing blues, you want that minor seventh. To do this you'd use a harp that was four keeys up. For instance, you would use an F harp for a blues song in C. This is called cross-harp, or 2nd position.

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Diatonic harmonicas (which are the standard 10 hole harmonicas you see most often) come in different keys. So you would use a D harmonica for a song in key of D.

However, if you are playing blues, you want that minor seventh. To do this you'd use a harp that was four keeys up. For instance, you would use an F harp for a blues song in C. This is called cross-harp, or 2nd position.

Thanks grillslinger. That makes sense, now that I think about it.

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I've never played any instruments, but I can tap my feet like nobody's business.:rock:

Ikilledthecrimsonking
03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
i played the trumpet for 2 years in junior high but i couldnt stand to be in the in band for another year with the crazy band teacher

thats right Mr.Wilkenson if your listening i quit band cause of you

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
i played the trumpet for 2 years in junior high but i couldnt stand to be in the in band for another year with the crazy band teacher

thats right Mr.Wilkenson if your listening i quit band cause of you
Damned teachers, ruin your life. :cry:

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey, I'm a teacher.

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey, I'm a teacher.
ooops:huglove:

obscurejude
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Its all good. I just teach freshman English as a Teacher's Assistant. I also teach guitar lessons. Hopefully my students don't share your sentiments.

Míchéal
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
No no I meant the kind of teachers who really piss you off, most of the time I got along with mine but there were some who: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Odetta
03-11-2008, 07:03 AM
I hope that I am never the cause of my students quitting!

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Never, Odetta. :thumbsup: You probably inspire your students to bust out in verse.

Odetta
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
well, I'd like to think so... I would hate to think that I was turning students OFF of music!

obscurejude
04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Thought I'd post a picture of the new setup.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii303/rtbradle/HPIM07991.jpg?t=1209591867

Fender SG10 dreadnought acoustic on left.
Standard Fender Telecaster on right.
Crate RFX200S with Sereo Digital Signal Processing
Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal
3 Channel switch pedal

jayson
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
you just want me to tell you how cool your Tele is again. nice new amp btw. hope you are getting good tones from it.

obscurejude
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Its always good to hear, Jayson, but I was hoping some other folks might take the opportunity to post pictures of their gear.

I am getting good tones from it. I really like the combination of reverb and echo for the clean stuff- it sounds just like Candlebox now when I play that song of theirs (name escapes me for the moment).