PDA

View Full Version : The Literary Canon

Daghain
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure a definitive list for an actual literary canon exists, but this one is way to comprehensive for words: Literary Canon (http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/grtbloom.html#chaos)

What do you all think?

I think I need to hit the library. :lol:

Jean
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
well, at least it looks a lot more representative than that other list (99% consisting of 20 century literature written in English). Although here I am disappointed with both French and, especially, Russian (where the selection is simply ridiculous) sections. It also makes me really mad that in Czech section you can see Vaclav Havel, which is due only to his political achievements, but you can't see the really great novel (one of the very best of all times, in my opinion) The Good Soldier Schweik by Hašek. It reminds me of how literature is selected by Nobel committee, say sorry.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 09:20 AM
I was sure it wasn't really representative of everything (no one list is) but I was amazed that this one was as thorough as it is.

But yeah, I agree about the Nobel thing. :D

OchrisO
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey, at least Anton Chekhov is on there. I love some Chekov.

Jean
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey, at least Anton Chekhov is on there. I love some Chekov.
great! what do you prefer, short stories of plays? I love most of his short stories, and some plays, too (especially The Cherry Orchard)

OchrisO
12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I really enjoyed The Cherry Orchard. I think I like his plays better, though the Russian naming conventions kind of make it hard for me to keep track of who is who. My liking his plays mre might just be because I have been really into plays as of late, though.I really need to read more of his stuff when I have some free time where I am not up to my neck in reading for school.

Jean
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
I really enjoyed The Cherry Orchard. I think I like his plays better, though the Russian naming conventions kind of make it hard for me to keep track of who is who. My liking his plays mre might just be because I have been really into plays as of late, though.I really need to read more of his stuff when I have some free time where I am not up to my neck in reading for school.
I also think plays must be easier to translate, so the text is more adequate. His short stories are very specific, and his humor is too language-dependent. And yes, I understand about naming conventions! When it is Lubov Andreevna Ranevskaya and Boris Borisovich Simeonov-Pishchik, it must be easy to get lost.

OchrisO
12-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Yep, and in one scene a person will be called by the first name and by one of the otehrs in another scene. I think it has to dow ith formality or something like that.