PDA

View Full Version : Can I read WttK without reading the other DT books?

SKFan54012
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I am a new member here. Hello to all. I was wondering something. I recently got The Wind Through the Keyhole @ my local library. Do I need to read the rest of the Dark Tower series n order to understand the story in this book?

Shannon
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Hello. Firstly, welcome. Secondly, introduce yourself here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?67-Introduce-yourself). Thirdly, yes.

Dan
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
It can stand alone as a story, but you will be quite confused with some of the back story. I highly recommend starting at the beginning. Welcome to the board.

stkmw02
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the forum!
If you want to be really thorough, you'll need to read all of King's other books as well... since many of them tie in to the Dark Tower story. I wouldn't allow myself to read any of the Dark Tower series until I had read all his previous works in the order they were released. Then, I read the Dark Tower series and really enjoyed the referenced to his other books... that I would have missed otherwise. Of course, that's only if you intend to be a dedicated King fan and see reading all his writing as entertainment and not work. :lol:

Jean
07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Hello. Firstly, welcome. Secondly, introduce yourself here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?67-Introduce-yourself). Thirdly, yes.

What Shannon said.

This thread will be archived soon.

Matt
07-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Welcome to the forum!
If you want to be really thorough, you'll need to read all of King's other books as well... since many of them tie in to the Dark Tower story. I wouldn't allow myself to read any of the Dark Tower series until I had read all his previous works in the order they were released. Then, I read the Dark Tower series and really enjoyed the referenced to his other books... that I would have missed otherwise. Of course, that's only if you intend to be a dedicated King fan and see reading all his writing as entertainment and not work. :lol:

...and if you have a few years of reading time available. :borg:

stkmw02
07-17-2012, 07:12 AM
...or if you're a cyborg and can load data to your memory files. ;)

Matt
07-17-2012, 07:23 AM
That would be so cool. I really wish I was a cyborg.

I would have to make sure there was on "override" or "shut off" switch though...rookie mistake.

Letti
08-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I know it's an old question but I must jump in: King himself answers this at the beginning of the book. :) So just go for it and enjoy the journey.