PDA

View Full Version : Are You Still Reading The Comics?

Shannon
06-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Simple question: Are you still reading the comics? If not, where did you stop and why?

For me, I bought all the Dark Tower graphic novels up until around The Battle Of Jericho Hill. I liked what I was reading but for some reason I stopped at the end of Treachery. One day I'll pick them back up again. What about you guys?

biomieg
06-24-2012, 01:49 AM
I only read the first couple of DT issues and the first one of THE STAND. Not bad, they just weren't for me.

Brice
06-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I read the first few arcs and then just haven't bought anymore. I don't really know why.

alkanto
06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I stopped right around the Battle of Jericho Hill. I liked them, but never really loved them....and it started becoming a financial strain, more than anything, given that I was right in my freshman year of college. Figured it was stupid to pay that much money for story I've technically already read about, when there was food and texbooks to pay for. If I ever saw the other ones cheaply, I might not be opposed to buying them now.

mattgreenbean
06-24-2012, 04:59 AM
I've always enjoyed the illustrations in the DT books, so having full books of illustrations in the comics is great for me.

Brainslinger
06-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I think the last DT comics I bought were The Little Sisters of Eluria. My main reason was simply that I didn't want to reread stuff which I have already read. Yes I know the first series is largely Wizard and Glass and Little Sisters... is, well.... Little Sisters.... but I was mainly drawn to them by the possibility of new content. Which I got.

stkmw02
06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I haven't started to read these yet, but plan to as soon as I get my hands on the books I'm missing. Once I have the full set, I imagine I'll read through them pretty quickly.

Dan
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I haven't completely caught up, but I'm still reading them. It's a good break from a long novel. I just picked up The Gunslinger: The Man in Black 1, yesterday.

Ari_Racing
06-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I left The Dark Tower after The Little sisters of Eluria. As for The Stand, I never read beyond Captain Trips

WeDealInLead
06-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Yes, I'm reading DT but only because I'd feel silly stopping now after all this time. It's certainly not for its quality.

I loved the adaptation of The Stand. N was great. I can't rememeber much about The Talisman but I do have the full set. I'm still reading American Vampire even though King left after the first story line. It's blasphemy but the books got better after King left. I'm not reading Throttle. The premise seems boring.

stkmw02
06-25-2012, 06:13 AM
When you say you have the "full set" of the Talisman, what does that include? I've only been able to find the hardcover Volume 1 and from what I understand that's all there is now? Throttle is a very quick read and, unfortunately, there isn't much story there. I finished wanting a lot more.

WeDealInLead
06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
That's it, I have the full set of single issues. I bought them as they came out. What you have is everything in one collection. The rest was cancelled. I'm not sure why, I wish they'd have continued it.

stkmw02
06-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Okay. I couldn't find the single issues around here either, so I wasn't sure if more were out and I missed something. It was a really good comic and I'm disappointed there isn't more, too. Maybe someone else will pick it up if the DT series continues to do well? I imagine it (DT) must be selling okay because the local comic shop keeps restocking it and selling at price.

Shannon
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I would say CHECK THE COMIC CATALOG, but I haven't gotten around to adding The Talisman comics yet, lol.

stkmw02
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Shannon - I DID check the comic catalog! :P As a librarian, I ALWAYS check the catalog before asking questions. :lol:

Shannon
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
lol hey now Library Girl ... lol, everything should be updated soon enough.

stkmw02
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
In all seriousness, that catalog is an incredible help. It's thorough and well organized and much appreciated!

Shannon
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Yes, my predessessor/predecessor (after spell check, lol) turtlex did a wonderful job setting everything up, the format is great. I'm just fine-tuning it and then finishing it up. :)

Empath of the White
06-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Nah; I prefer the novel to the comics (for the Gunslinger arc). I want to say the arc with the Not-Man was the last one I read.

CyberGhostface
07-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I was looking for an excuse to drop a series to save a little money and her treatment of Flagg's backstory was the straw that broke the camel's back for the DT comics.