PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Graphic Novels

Pages : [1] 2

Erin
12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm sitting here writing a Christmas List for my family and need a bit of help.

Recently, i've been very interested in graphic novels. I love the format of having many comics combined so I don't have to hunt down each individual issue. Anyways, I need some suggestions on new stories to try out.

So far I've read:

The Sandman
The Watchmen
V for Vendetta
The Walking Dead (I've got the first 2 books and have collected the individual issues since the last book release)
Bone
The Preacher

What are some suggestions you awesome comic geeks have for me?

Rjeso
12-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Kingdom Come

Erin
12-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I just looked that up on Amazon.com. It sounds super awesome. Thanks Rjeso!

Rjeso
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Thank Jimmy, he was the one who had me read it, heh. It's beautifully done, the artwork is amazing. Hope you like it!

fernandito
12-06-2007, 12:57 PM
FABLES!
Y : The Last Man
Anything Sin City

Jimmy
12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Top 10
Preacher
The Golden Age
Starman
JLA/JSA : Virtue & Vice
Earth X
Universe X
Paradise X

Rjeso
12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
(Top 10 is the name of one, not the title of the list, 'specially as he only has seven listed.)

Jimmy
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Good call Sunshine.

"Top 10" by Alan Moore & Gene Ha

Sai_Rhavan
12-06-2007, 04:34 PM
The Darkness. An amazing series, very dark, slightly disturbing(especially in the video game). My favorite series of all time, hands down.

Sai_Rhavan
12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
The Darkness. An amazing series, very dark, slightly disturbing(especially in the video game). My favorite series of all time, hands down.
Also, Civil War

Sai_Rhavan
12-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Crap, posted twice. Cry pardon.

Still Servant
12-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi Erin.

I just recently got into graphic novels. I second what Feev said. When I went to the comic book store and told the guy I was new to comics, he first showed me Fables. I've only read the first one, but it was really interesting and fun to read.

Then he told me about Y:The Last Man, which was totally up my alley. I love post apocalyptic type stuff. In short, Yorrick Brown is the last man alive after a plague kills every male on earth except for Yorrick and his monkey. Sounds like heaven for a guy right? Not so much.

I also really like The Losers. That novel just oozes with coolness.

I'm really into Loveless too. It's a Western that is helping quench my thirst until the DT comics start up again.

Hope that helps.

OchrisO
12-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Being that my pushing Sandman on you is probably the beginnings of your new comic love, I'll chime in. :P

I have to greatly second fp's Fables recommendation. It is really good and I need to catch back up on it myself.

Transmetropolitan is really amazing and you would love it. The main character is a sort of futuristic homage to Hunter S. Thompson.

Neil Gaiman's run on Eternals. It is the first of the new Eternals TPBs.

Planetary

The Authority

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Crimson

The Ultimates( I think you would esepecially like Volume 2 and how it deals with what our government would do with a superhero team).

From Hell by Alan Moore(Jack the Ripper story, there's a movie based on it)

Maus a.k.a. Maus: A Survivor's Tale — My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (this one actually won a Pulitzer).

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland

Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean

Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction by Mike Mignola

Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August by Mike Mignola

Erin
12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Sweet. Thanks everyone!

OchrisO
12-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Some I forgot:

The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman(I can't believe I forgot about this one. Add it to the top of your list)

Violent Cases by Neil Gaiman

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

Ghostworld by Daniel Clowes

Frunobulax
12-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Maus for sure, Watchmen is a classic, and Black Hole is an amazing one. And I don't generally like graphic novels.

I guess Tezuka's Phoenix and Buddha cycles can count--those are also well worth checking out.

Jimmy
12-07-2007, 05:37 AM
The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman

The story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training that predates that other story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training.

Gaiman didn't sue her ass off because he's a nice guy.

I also just showed Rjeso some books because she'd never really read comics. She's read Kingdom Come and Gaiman's Eternals so those are great starting boards.

Fables is genius and anyone who loves good stories could enjoy it.

Also, if the GN bears the names "Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman or Mike Mignola" read it without question.

Mister E
12-07-2007, 06:02 AM
I just picked up Ultimates 2: Grand Theft America- flippin' SWEET. Hawkeye's finest.

HULK SMASH SMARTS!

fernandito
12-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Picked up a couple of issues yesterday:

-The Walking Dead Vol. 7
-The Amazing Spider-Man : One More Day- issues 1-3 out of 4
-Marvel Zombies 2: Issues 1 and 2.
-Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns

:)

Rjeso
12-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Oh, yeah, Eternals was awesome!

fernandito
12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Duh! It's Neil Gaiman! :D

Rjeso
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Exactly. :D

OchrisO
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman

The story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training that predates that other story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training.

I also just showed Rjeso some books because she'd never really read comics. She's read Kingdom Come and Gaiman's Eternals so those are great starting boards.

Fables is genius and anyone who loves good stories could enjoy it.

Also, if the GN bears the names "Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman or Mike Mignola" read it without question.

Haha.

Speaking of what kids are reading: You created Timothy Hunter and The Books Of Magic. How do you feel about J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, which is incredibly similar yet wonderfully different?

People have been trying to get me... there was a very peculiar time about eighteen months ago, I did an interview with The Scotsman. The Scotsman newspaper tracked me down, and we had a very awkward interview, during which they were trying to get me to say, "Oh, yeah, J. K. Rowling has ripped off Harry Potter," and the most they could get out of me was, "Well, it makes things a little awkward for a Books Of Magic movie."

I was astonished that about six months later, to be sent a copy of... English newspapers started, for a period of about three days--as they all ripped each other off--did an article about this madwoman who's been accusing J. K. Rowling of stealing Muggles and things like that, and then finished off with "...and Neil Gaiman has accused her of ripping off Harry Potter of Tim Hunter."

At that point, I wrote a little thing, sent it out to a few places, that just basically said, "This is absolute bollocks." And it is absolute bollocks! I mean, the thing about genre fiction--it's like a great big bubbling stewpot: ingredients go in, and stew comes out. And as you go, you add stuff to the stew. If you're a good writer, you keep popping stuff into the stew while you're going.

I was certainly not the first writer to create a bespectacled kid who had the potential to be the world's greatest magician. To create a kid with magical power--and more important, magical potential--and to use owls and so on, it's all stuff that's fairly obvious going on what went before. J. K. Rowling was not the first person to send a kid to wizard school. From Jaime Olan and Diane Duane in recent years--Diana Wynne Jones is marvelous! (Witch Week and Charmed Life.)--going back to T. H. White and E. Nesbitt.

When I was eighteen, I started trying to write my first book, and I got nine pages into it, and they're still mucking around. And because I didn't really have any experience of anything other than school, I was writing a story about a kid who was sent to wizard school, and Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (who wound up in Neverwhere) were going to be the baddies. I was cleaning up and doing some tidying in the basement, and I came across these pages, and I thought, "Now if anybody ever found these, they'd be going, 'Cool! Look at this Harry Potter rip-off!'" Which is fine, except it was a Harry Potter rip-off I was writing in 1978. And, of course, as an eighteen year old, I never finished it, and didn't actually think that I really wanted to write a school story, so I left it behind. When I went back to try another school story, it was a few years later, and it was a much, much more sick and peculiar and twisted thing called The End Of The Third Form At St. Andrew's Eve, which was much more about how I hated school than trying to romanticize it. That was in a periodical that never appeared, and its still probably knocking around in a file somewhere, and I've never gone back to it.

Which is a very long and blabbery way of saying that ideas are public domain.

What I do wish, with the Harry Potter stuff, is that we could get DC Comics to re-issue Books Of Magic with a much more Harry Potter-like cover to appeal to the kind of people who like Harry Potter. Every other comic company in the world's going, "Oh, wouldn't it be cool to have our own Harry Potter?" And with DC, I've been, "Well, actually, you've had your own Harry Potter now since 1990! Why don't you do something with that? Why don't you get him into bookstores?" from http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.neil-gaiman/browse_thread/thread/7b55f055aadc0052

Jimmy
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Say what you will, he'd still have a hell of a case.

Matt
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
There are some "early stories of Conan" out there in Graphic novel format that are amazing.

If the person is into plenty of blood and brawn :lol:

Spencer
12-07-2007, 01:37 PM

I was right with this until I read the last pages of issue 3. :pullhair:

Jimmy
12-07-2007, 01:50 PM

I didn't notice this until Spencer pointed it out. I have two statments and one question about OMD.

Ugh.

God.

Why?

BlakeMP
12-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Because Joe Quesada is a douchebag.

No, seriously. JMS wanted to take his name off this crapfest, but Quesada wouldn't let him.

But that's neither here nor there. I would like to agree with everyone who recommended Fables and add that Astro City is hellacool.

Patrick
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
The Books of Magic by Neil GaimanThe story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training that predates that other story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training.

Haha.

Speaking of what kids are reading: You created Timothy Hunter and The Books Of Magic. How do you feel about J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, which is incredibly similar yet wonderfully different?

People have been trying to get me... there was a very peculiar time about eighteen months ago, I did an interview with The Scotsman. The Scotsman newspaper tracked me down, and we had a very awkward interview, during which they were trying to get me to say, "Oh, yeah, J. K. Rowling has ripped off Harry Potter," and the most they could get out of me was, "Well, it makes things a little awkward for a Books Of Magic movie."

I was astonished that about six months later, to be sent a copy of... English newspapers started, for a period of about three days--as they all ripped each other off--did an article about this madwoman who's been accusing J. K. Rowling of stealing Muggles and things like that, and then finished off with "...and Neil Gaiman has accused her of ripping off Harry Potter of Tim Hunter."

At that point, I wrote a little thing, sent it out to a few places, that just basically said, "This is absolute bollocks." And it is absolute bollocks! I mean, the thing about genre fiction--it's like a great big bubbling stewpot: ingredients go in, and stew comes out. And as you go, you add stuff to the stew. If you're a good writer, you keep popping stuff into the stew while you're going.

I was certainly not the first writer to create a bespectacled kid who had the potential to be the world's greatest magician. To create a kid with magical power--and more important, magical potential--and to use owls and so on, it's all stuff that's fairly obvious going on what went before. J. K. Rowling was not the first person to send a kid to wizard school. From Jaime Olan and Diane Duane in recent years--Diana Wynne Jones is marvelous! (Witch Week and Charmed Life.)--going back to T. H. White and E. Nesbitt.

When I was eighteen, I started trying to write my first book, and I got nine pages into it, and they're still mucking around. And because I didn't really have any experience of anything other than school, I was writing a story about a kid who was sent to wizard school, and Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (who wound up in Neverwhere) were going to be the baddies. I was cleaning up and doing some tidying in the basement, and I came across these pages, and I thought, "Now if anybody ever found these, they'd be going, 'Cool! Look at this Harry Potter rip-off!'" Which is fine, except it was a Harry Potter rip-off I was writing in 1978. And, of course, as an eighteen year old, I never finished it, and didn't actually think that I really wanted to write a school story, so I left it behind. When I went back to try another school story, it was a few years later, and it was a much, much more sick and peculiar and twisted thing called The End Of The Third Form At St. Andrew's Eve, which was much more about how I hated school than trying to romanticize it. That was in a periodical that never appeared, and its still probably knocking around in a file somewhere, and I've never gone back to it.

Which is a very long and blabbery way of saying that ideas are public domain.

What I do wish, with the Harry Potter stuff, is that we could get DC Comics to re-issue Books Of Magic with a much more Harry Potter-like cover to appeal to the kind of people who like Harry Potter. Every other comic company in the world's going, "Oh, wouldn't it be cool to have our own Harry Potter?" And with DC, I've been, "Well, actually, you've had your own Harry Potter now since 1990! Why don't you do something with that? Why don't you get him into bookstores?" from http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.neil-gaiman/browse_thread/thread/7b55f055aadc0052

Now I respect Gaiman even more than I already did. :thumbsup:

Jimmy
12-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Because Joe Quesada is a douchebag.

No, seriously. JMS wanted to take his name off this crapfest, but Quesada wouldn't let him.

But that's neither here nor there. I would like to agree with everyone who recommended Fables and add that Astro City is hellacool.

I give Quesada another 2 years before he's gone. People are getting really sick of him.

And, speaking of JMS...

Supreme Power by J. Michael Straczynski & Gary Frank is a must read.

It's the DC Comics icons, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman and The Flash but reimagined by Marvel Comics as a dark, real world 18+ only comic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/SQDSUP001_FLCOV.jpg

BlakeMP
12-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Y'know, except for his Post-The Other Spider-Man, Supreme Power is the only thing JMS has ever done that really disapointed me. I just felt like it was a good idea that took to long to go anywhere, and I dropped it on issue #10.

His Midnight Nation, however, is one of the best horror stories ever told in comic book form.

OchrisO
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
JMS did some amazing audio drama for scifi.com's seeing ear theater years back.

Old Man Splitfoot
12-08-2007, 02:18 AM
I noticed Erin's original post included Bone as something she'd already read, but I gotta throw that out as a suggestion to anyone here who hasn't. Such a great series, and you don't even necessarily have to buy more than one book to read (almost) the whole story.

And if you liked Jeff Smith (the artist and writer behind Bone), you might be interested in Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil (might be "VS" and not "and", I can't recall at the moment). I haven't read it yet, and to be honest I've never been real interested in Shazam that much, but I plan to pick it up. Smith is also just about ready to release his new comic called Rasl. I read an interview months ago where he said it was about an art thef that uses a machine to move between realities to get past security and steal stuff; don't quote me on that. I may not be 100% sure what it's about, but it's still going on my pull list.

As someone who primarily reads super-hero comics, I'd really probably just suggest stuff like X-Men and Spider-Man books. Volumes of the "Essential" line are a nice way to check out some of the older comics; about $15 for about a year's worth of comics, printed on fairly low grade paper, in black and white. Major story arcs like Dark Phoenix Saga and Age of Apoclypse have been collected in TPB format, and I'd heartiy recommend them.

Also, a raid on my brother's closet leads me to believe I'll be getting Neil Gaiman's Eternals HC for Christmas, and that sounds good to me. I've also been meaning to pick up Ed Brubaker's Captain America Omnibus, and Marvel's Annillation trilogy.

Will
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Transmetropolitan will treat you right and love you tender. And those Conan books are a great gift idea...barbarians slaughtering folks is something a whole lot of people can get into.

You might like Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm. It's autobiographical, and the blurb on Amazon is a good synopsis. It's definitely more serious than most other graphic novels, but if that's what you're after, it delivers.

Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors is very entertaining. It's all 4 issues of Squee, and a lot of one-page comics used as humor breaks in his other books. Much more of a friendly read than the author's other books, since you aren't 14, don't hate the world, and don't want to die. Same guy who did Invader ZIM, which I can't remember if you're a fan of.

Transmetropolitan > *

There are 10 books of Transmet, and you can ignore Volume 0.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Yay, another Tranmetropolitan fan. I think I suggested it as reading to Erin a long time ago but she ignored me like she usually does the first couple of times I recommend something(see Sword of Truth, Sandman, etc. haha)

Jimmy
12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I loved Tranmetropolitan, everything Morrison has ever done actually, I just thought it might be too strange for new readers. Doom Patrol or JLA is a great starting point for readers unfamiliar with Grant's style, imo.

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Jimmy, come here...I want to give you a big :huglove: for mentioning Doom Patrol - I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who'd heard of it!!

I have the entire series starting with the Kupperberg run...I didn't collect the new Arcudi stuff, but I might end up getting it.

Crazy Jane is probably my favourite character.

OchrisO
12-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I loved Tranmetropolitan, everything Morrison has ever done actually, I just thought it might be too strange for new readers. Doom Patrol or JLA is a great starting point for readers unfamiliar with Grant's style, imo.

Yeah, Transmetro is pretty strange, but I think, based on knowing Erin and her reading, she'd love it. She always has to wait until someone, aside from me, recommends something before she tries it, though, for some reason. haha.

Jimmy
12-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the hug Darkthoughts but I'm a bonehead. Grant Morrison didn't write Transmetropolitan, Warren Ellis did. Thankfully this allows me to recommend another trade paperback.

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E by Warren Ellis & Stuart Immonen

There is no Marvel comic funnier than this one.

OchrisO
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Being that I love a lot of Ellis stuff(Transmetropolitain, Planetary, and The Authority being among my favorites), I am suprised that I didn't catch that.

Will
12-09-2007, 07:23 PM
It's relatively new, but any of you not reading The Boys should correct that.

Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson (Transmet), and it's about a CIA-backed superhero watchdog group. If a supe gets out of line, causes too many civilian deaths, whatever, The Boys bust their asses. It's really funny and pretty twisted, but if you like the idea of superheroes all being fucked-up junkie perverts hiding their shit from the public, you'll get into it.

http://www.fantomcomics.com/Boys-Vol1-TPB-Cover.jpg

fernandito
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM

I read it over the weekend and I see where you're coming from Spence. I have a feeling that Issue 4 is going to make me hate Quesada.

Mister E
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm about half way through The Black Dossier- its a lil' racy, huh?

LadyHitchhiker
12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Favorite graphic novels so far in no particular order:

Star Trek (any)
Sandman (any)
Dark Tower (the one the only so far)
The Maxx (any)
Sam & Max freelance police
30 Days of Night (first two I've read so far)
28 Days Later (first two I've read so far)
Bleach (a new love.. I've read through 10 now)

Hellboy

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:18 AM

:couple:

I used to love the cartoon of Sam and Max - that's the names of my sons too :D

Will
12-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Holy shit, you named your sons after Sam and Max?

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 07:38 AM
And my daughter is called Ruby - so if you prefer, they're named after Max and Ruby :D

fernandito
12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
If I ever have a kid, I'm going to name him Morpheus. :)

Will
12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
And my daughter is called Ruby - so if you prefer, they're named after Max and Ruby :D

I think naming your kids that and having a Christmas Spike av means we're friends now.

Patrick
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM

The brain-damaged bunny kid and his whiny, nagging bunny sister? :rofl:

BlakeMP
12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
As soon as it comes out in hardcover: Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War.

Book. of. the. Year.

Jimmy
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Book. of. the. Year.

The man speaks true. Epic by every definition of the word.

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 02:27 AM

I think naming your kids that and having a Christmas Spike av means we're friends now.
It was all forward planning for the day I'd eventually meet you :D

The brain-damaged bunny kid and his whiny, nagging bunny sister? :rofl:
Yes, his sister is the biggest nag ever...but Max rules!! He's a mini lord of discordia :D

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't know if anyone put Akira on here, but yes.

Jimmy
12-13-2007, 07:37 AM
What's Akria?

Is it a magna or an amine?

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Heres the link, but I originally spelled it wrong

http://www.animecornerstore.com/aknov.html

Jimmy
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM
I was teasing SS. :P

Magna = manga

Amine = anime

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
So, you did know what it is?

Jimmy
12-13-2007, 07:58 AM
It's Akira!

You'd have to be living in an Amish community under a rock reading only Amish comic books for the last 30 years to not know Akira.

Incidently, "Barn Raising Servent of God Man" is a great comic.

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
K, cause I'm easily confused, and I thought it was common knowledge of what it was.

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
It's Akira!

You'd have to be living in an Amish community under a rock reading only Amish comic books for the last 30 years to not know Akira.

**raises hand**

That would be me. :lol:

fernandito
12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Akira is a motherfucking (for you Matt) masterpiece.

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
:rofl:

LadyHitchhiker
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM

:couple:

I used to love the cartoon of Sam and Max - that's the names of my sons too :D

That is THE coolest thing I have heard all day.

Spencer
12-13-2007, 10:29 PM

I read it over the weekend and I see where you're coming from Spence. I have a feeling that Issue 4 is going to make me hate Quesada.

I have a feeling issue 3 already did that for me. :lol:

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Akira was one graphic novel that changed my view on graphic novels as a whole. It gave me hope.

Jimmy
12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
It's Akira!

**raises hand**

That would be me. :lol:

You're Amish and using a computer?

Infidel!

fernandito
12-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Hmm, you might have a point there...but isn't it funny how we'll both end up purchasing issue 4 anyway? :D

Fruno - Gave you hope for what?

Spencer
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM

Book. of. the. Year.

Somehow, I totally misseed this. I'll be sure to pick it up.

Spencer
12-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Hmm, you might have a point there...but isn't it funny how we'll both end up purchasing issue 4 anyway? :D

:lol: Hey, I still have 10 copies of Spectacular Spider-Man #226. Nothing could be worse that that. :rofl:
http://littlestuffedbull.com/images/comics/ten/ssm226.jpg

fernandito
12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
10?!

Can I have one? :D

(Bats eyelashes)

Spencer
12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
:lol:

Yes you can. :D

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM

That graphic novels weren't a load of shit.

fernandito
12-14-2007, 02:20 PM
That graphic novels weren't a load of shit.

The human in me is respecting your point of view; the die hard fan in me wants to bash your brain in with a hammer!:huglove:

Have you read The Sandman and/or The Watchmen?

Arthur Heath
12-14-2007, 02:20 PM
DAMN! I get to this thread days late and had to go through every post to see what was being suggested and of course everything mentioned I had in mind and slowly my list became smaller and smaller. I'm just going to put one out there for you Erin, but it is a must read. One of the most amazing projects done by one person and one person alone.
Jeff Smith's Bone
Its cinematicly brilliant. You can get the complete collection in graphic novel format and it is HEFTY. Just go get it.
Ok I'll toss another one out there and this one sure is to cause commotion. It's flipping disgusting but I love dirty dirty books and thats Grant Morrisons The Filth

Childe 007
12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Let me qualify this by saying that I haven't actively bought or read any comic/ graphic novels since the end of Preacher (which I loved), and I was old when that wrapped up but since no one else has mentioned it I have got to give props to Dave Simm's Cerebus.

I used to be addicted to this one and the way to read them were the "phone books". I made it through "Rick's Story" which was - to that point the weakest of the "books". The early stuff - most especailly High Society and Church and State (which I belive comprised books 2,3 & 4) were some of the best social commentary vaguely disguised as Conan meets Funny Animal (with all the super hero mock-u-mentions you could shake a stick at) "funny books" its every been my priveledge to shed a coin for. The last great chapter that I read was Guys. Completely set in a Tavern with regular characters based upon The Beatles, Mick Jagger, Kieth Richards, and Marty Feldman - this one had me ROFLMAO before that anacronysm probably existed. Great art - great storytelling - great comic.

I was a Marvelite as a youth but the whole "comics are now stocks" movement in the late 80's early 90's soured me to the medium. I have purchased the Dark Tower Comics and even read the 1st 4 -

but this thread got me thinking about Cerebus again - so I guess I'll be dragging those out of the closet and make it my goal in 2008 to try and finish the tale.

300 monthly issues - one creator (and Gerheart), same character - one story. A feat never attempted nor likely to be duplicated by any other artist in the history of "graphic story telling."

I think worth a mention.

Jimmy
12-14-2007, 09:23 PM
300 monthly issues - one creator (and Gerheart), same character - one story. A feat never attempted nor likely to be duplicated by any other artist in the history of "graphic story telling."

Erik Larsen's "Savage Dragon" is the closest to matching Cerebus or Bone's longevity with a solitary creator, I think.

Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 1 (collects #1-3 of the mini-series, and #1-21 of the ongoing series)
Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 2 (collects #22-50)
Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 3 (collects #51-75, to be released February 2008)
Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 4 (collects #76-100, to be released)

Unfortunately there was a gap for a year between issues after Larsen became Publisher of Image Comics.

This is not a recommendation for Savage Dragon though. I've never read it, and don't plan to.

I will recommend "Flex Mentallo" br Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely if you can find it. It's currently out of print in America due to Charles Atlas company suing DC for trademark infringement due to Flex being a parody of Atlas.

Darkthoughts
12-15-2007, 06:59 AM
I will recommend "Flex Mentallo" br Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely if you can find it. It's currently out of print in America due to Charles Atlas company suing DC for trademark infringement due to Flex being a parody of Atlas.

It is hard to get hold of and is the only thing missing from my Doom Patrol collection. There were a couple of other DP tie ins, which I have...but this one still eludes me. I trawl ebay from time to time, it was very helpful in completing the rest of my collection.

fernandito
12-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I can't believe I waited this long to read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. What a perfect blend of writing and illustration; can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.

OchrisO
12-17-2007, 03:11 PM
My favorite thing about any time that Frank Miller writes Batman is that Batman always ends up beating Superman's ass.

Matt
12-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I can't believe I waited this long to read Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. What a perfect blend of writing and illustration; can't wait to get my hands on the sequel.

Watch out for the sequel Fever, it sucks imo.

But you are right that Dark Knight Returns is the best it can be. Great read :thumbsup:

BlakeMP
12-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Watch out for the sequel Fever, it sucks imo.

I echo this and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Matt
12-18-2007, 11:00 AM
:rofl:

I really never get tired of that line

BlakeMP
12-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Me neither, and I so rarely get to use it. :D

In seriousness, I wish Miller would just get back to Sin City. His Batman stuff, since DK2, has been universally terrible.

fernandito
12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
So...are you guys suggesting that I steer clear of the DKR sequel?

OchrisO
12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
A lot of folks say they didn't like the sequel, but I enjoyed it. It doesn't quite match the first one, but I still find it entertaining.

Matt
12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
So...are you guys suggesting that I steer clear of the DKR sequel?

I wouldn't pay money for it but if you get a chance to read it for free, I'd say go for it. :lol:

I used to have a copy but I gave it to Insanewriters during a gift exchange on another site I think. :cowboy:

BlakeMP
12-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Matt's kinder than I am. I'd suggest keeping it in your bathroom... but not for reading. :D

Jimmy
12-20-2007, 04:22 AM
If you're going to read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, read the parts with The Atom, then recycle the rest.

Or burn it. That's acceptable too. If you want to get a bonfire going, I'd suggest everything Frank Miller's written after the year 2000.

LadyHitchhiker
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Did I mention Vampire Hunter D? I like that too.

Scoogs
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Are there any good Green Lantern graphic novels or collections I should read? I've always liked the character, but the only exposure I have is from the Justice League cartoons and the few stories that Alan Moore wrote.
(I never read many comics beyond Batman as a kid)

OchrisO
01-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I picked up a couple graphic novels today: Elric: Making of a Sorcerer and the graphic novel version of Clive Barker's The Great and Secret show. I'm pretty excited about both of them.

Spencer
01-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Are there any good Green Lantern graphic novels or collections I should read? I've always liked the character, but the only exposure I have is from the Justice League cartoons and the few stories that Alan Moore wrote.

If they ever put out this Sinestro Corps War thing that everyone's been buzzing about, I'll definitely pick that up.

There's also "The Greatest Green Lantern Stories Ever Told."

OchrisO
01-21-2008, 01:33 PM

With most of your exposure being from the cartoons, you'll have to keep in mind that the Green Lantern from graphic novel to graphic novel may be a completely different character. Alan Scott is different from Hal Jordan, There's Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, to mention a few of the major ones, and the story is going to be a lot different depending on which Green Lantern it is about.

Jimmy
01-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Neil Gaiman's "Legend of the Green Flame" is a nice little GL/Superman team up.

The part where someone tries to mug them as Clark and Hal, is classic.

BlakeMP
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Start with "Green Lantern: Rebirth." It's a nice way to get into the whole mythos, and it's the first part of Johns and Van Sciver's GL trilogy, of which "Sinestro Corps War" is part two.

Scoogs
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Part of what has me interested is the fact that there are several other GLs that I'm not familar with. I like the idea of the Corp.

ATG
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Robert E. Howard, Pigeons From Hell.

LadyHitchhiker
01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
are there going to be anymore league of extraordinary gentleman graphics coming out anytime soon and what's up with sam and max?!?!?! I thought they were coming out soon in their fabulous reprint!

Spencer
01-23-2008, 06:30 AM
League of Extrodinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier, has been out a few weeks and is available in comic shops and most major bookstores.

LadyHitchhiker
01-25-2008, 09:51 PM
W00t! Thank ye big big!

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
There is also a League of Gentlmen book 3 (not including the Black Dossier, as that's more than just a graphic novel... from what I've read anyway having not yet read the book.) coming out at some point in the future (although I'm not sure when.)

I like quite a lot of Alan Moore's work, and adding to From Hell (which has been mentioned already) I would add: V for Vendetta and The Balad of Halo Jones

There is also a DC graphic novel I read a year ago, but I forget the name. It was based around the main superheroes but was a more adult work. It involved a murder mystery involving the death of one superhero's loved one. I won't say more as to not spoil it, but if it rings a bell, I'd appreciate it if someone please let me know the title. The Hero who was bereaved was the Elongated Man if that helps.

Another book I liked was Fray by Joss Whedon. It's a mixture of fantasy horror and science fiction involving a slayer (of the Buffy variety) in the future. It's not just Buffy in a futuristic setting mind, this girl is quite different.

OchrisO
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
There is also a League of Gentlmen book 3 (not including the Black Dossier, as that's more than just a graphic novel... from what I've read anyway having not yet read the book.) coming out at some point in the future (although I'm not sure when.)

I like quite a lot of Alan Moore's work, and adding to From Hell (which has been mentioned already) I would add: V for Vendetta and The Balad of Halo Jones

There is also a DC graphic novel I read a year ago, but I forget the name. It was based around the main superheroes but was a more adult work. It involved a murder mystery involving the death of one superhero's loved one. I won't say more as to not spoil it, but if it rings a bell, I'd appreciate it if someone please let me know the title. The Hero who was bereaved was the Elongated Man if that helps.

Another book I liked was Fray by Joss Whedon. It's a mixture of fantasy horror and science fiction involving a slayer (of the Buffy variety) in the future. It's not just Buffy in a futuristic setting mind, this girl is quite different.

I think that the graphic novel you are thinking of is Identity Crisis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Crisis_%28comics%29

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks OchrisO. That's definitely the book.

Irrelevant to the thread, but my name is Chris too. When I'm not chucking my brain about I mean.

Spencer
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Identity Crisis is an awesome story, and They've followed up on it nicely in the DCU, with Infinite crisis, an awesome 2 part story in Detective comics Dealing with the Fallout, and really, all the way through now and Final Crisis.

ATG
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Pigeons from Hell by Robert E. Howard

LadyHitchhiker
05-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Did I mention Sam & Max 5000 times yet or not??? I LOVE Sam & Max!!!!!!

Jimmy
05-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Has anyone mentioned Johnny the Homicidal Maniac yet?

I mean, other than me.

LadyHitchhiker
05-10-2008, 05:27 PM
EEEK! I love everything by Jhonen Vasquez!!!!!!!

Jimmy
05-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Also, The Golden Age is quite glorious. :)

OchrisO
05-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I've reading(some of it re-reading) the first volume of Powers(1-37) and will be moving to volume 2 after that. I love Powers.

fernandito
05-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Is anyone here an avid reader of the Deus Ex Machina series? Is it any good?

Arthur Heath
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I was in Seattle working a Comic show this weekend and damn near picked up a copy of X Machina. I opted for the third installment of Vaughns other series, Y: The last man. I have come to assume anything written by Brian K. Vaughn is worth the price of the graphic novel.

Jimmy
05-14-2008, 03:35 AM

I read Ex Machina for a while. I'd recommend it, as Vaughn's always a good read, but it can get rather boring at times.

Seymour_Glass
05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I haven't read this thread at all, except to see Brian K Vaughan's name, which is always a good thing. Read anything by him or Alan Moore. Also Grant Morrison. And Neil Gaiman.

Seymour_Glass
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Read The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I can't believe nobody's mentioned it. Grant Morrison's like God.

fernandito
05-14-2008, 07:33 PM

I read Ex Machina for a while. I'd recommend it, as Vaughn's always a good read, but it can get rather boring at times.

Thanks. I think I'll look for individual volumes instead of TPB, that way I won't have to spend the money for the TPB only to find that I don't like it 2 issues in. :lol:

What about The Darkness by Top Cow? Can anybody vouch for that? I'm loving the game, and I've heard good things about the GC, but I want to know if it's a worthy investment of time and money...although the artwork looks pretty sick from what I've seen.

Jimmy
05-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Read The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I can't believe nobody's mentioned it. Grant Morrison's like God.

That's where you're wrong. Grant Morrison IS God.

I never suggest Invisibles to anyone. It's for them to find. It's not really something you can just drop in someone's lap and say, "Have fun."

That shit might warp them.

Jimmy
05-15-2008, 04:43 AM
What about The Darkness by Top Cow? Can anybody vouch for that? I'm loving the game, and I've heard good things about the GC, but I want to know if it's a worthy investment of time and money...although the artwork looks pretty sick from what I've seen.

The art is pretty slick and the book has a great premise. Not having read it, I can't make any recommendations though. Please let us know how it is though, if you decide to pick it up.

fernandito
05-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Guess what Jimmy? I got Vol. 1 of The Darkness! :dance: Haven't read it yet, though.

I picked these up earlier tonight-

Y : The Last Man vol. 1
Fables vol. 6
Secret Invasion - 2 of 8
The Dark Tower #3
The Darkness vol. 1
Dead Space - 1 and 2 of 5

OchrisO
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I could never really get into The Darkness that much. One of my ex-girlfriends was a big fan of it, and she was a big Fan of Spawn and Witchblade. I suppose it is good if you like those. It wasn't bad by any means, but nothing I have really wanted to follow.

Jimmy
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Guess what Jimmy? I got Vol. 1 of The Darkness! :dance: Haven't read it yet, though.

Fables vol. 6
Secret Invasion - 2 of 8
The Dark Tower #3
The Darkness vol. 1

Hot damn, that's a great list! Let me know how The Darkness and Dead Space are!

I recently grabbed..

JLA/Hitman
Powers : Forever
Powers : Legends
Wisdom
Arkham Asylum : Living Hell
Ultimates Vol's 1 & 2

Great stuff. :harrier:

Jimmy
05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
I could never really get into The Darkness that much. One of my ex-girlfriends was a big fan of it, and she was a big Fan of Spawn and Witchblade. I suppose it is good if you like those. It wasn't bad by any means, but nothing I have really wanted to follow.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the McFarlane Image stuff. So, thanks for the tip!

Arthur Heath
05-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Y: Vol 3 and I just cannot get enough Walking Dead. Just finished Vol. 3 and in the middle of 4. Also been going back and reading Morrisons old JLA days. Awesome stuff...

fernandito
05-20-2008, 09:26 AM

The biggest reason that I decided to pick up The Darkness is that I played the game for the PS3 and I fell in love with the character. I haven't read anything else by McFarlane other than Spawn (which I love) so it's hard for me to judge his overall style, but...we'll see how it goes.

OchrisO
05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I think The Darkness is a Marc Silvestri comic. The style does remind me a lot of McFarlane, though.

I should probably try to re-read it sometime. I might like it more now.

OchrisO
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Fables vol. 6
Secret Invasion - 2 of 8
The Dark Tower #3
The Darkness vol. 1

Hot damn, that's a great list! Let me know how The Darkness and Dead Space are!

I recently grabbed..

JLA/Hitman
Powers : Forever
Powers : Legends
Wisdom
Arkham Asylum : Living Hell
Ultimates Vol's 1 & 2

Great stuff. :harrier:

I've been really enjoying Powers. I'm on issue 15 of Vol. 1 right now. The "Who Killed Retro Girl?" arc that started the series was pretty awesome.

fernandito
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I think The Darkness is a Marc Silvestri comic. The style does remind me a lot of McFarlane, though.

I should probably try to re-read it sometime. I might like it more now.

I got the Darkness/Eva arc, and I think it's by a cat with the last name of Salazar...or Balazar...something like that. Maybe next time I stop by the shop I'll get the first issue in the original series and the Darkness/Witchblade arc, I hear they get down in those.

I read the DT # 3 during my lunch break, and I fucking loved it. I'm planning on reading that little side story at the back during my 3 o' clock break.

Jimmy
05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Mage : The Hero Discovered and Mage : The Hero Defined, great, great stories written and drawn by Matt Wagner. I look forward to the next arc, The Hero Denied. :)

fernandito
05-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm a little more than halfway through Fables Vol. 6, and I have to say that Blue Boy has become one of my favorite characters like that (snaps fingers)

The way he took down those three riders, the battle with the dragon - great GC action.

boehmke
05-25-2008, 12:55 AM
The Eternals

Writer : Neil Gaimen
Artist : John Romita JR

Just finished this tonight and it was a wonderful read. JR JRs art is impeccable. He has done no wrong for the past 30 years!

fernandito
05-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Picked up some more stuff yesterday:

Fables vol. 7
Fables vol. 8
The Darkness vs Eva - Vol. 2
Batman : The Long Halloween
First Born (Origins of The Darkness, Eva, and The Witchblade)

boehmke
05-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I just bought and read Spiderman - One More Day based on all the craziness going on in here about it.

I can't believe no one likes it! This was one of the most heart wrenching comics ever. The choice that has to be made is crazy. I for one would not want to be put in their shoes.

I actually praise Quesada for making moves like this. Makes comics interesting. I never wanted Wolverine to have an origin growing up. It made him unique amongst all the other superheros with all sorts of origin stories. But damn it to hell if I don't enjoy the crap out of the Wolverine Origins compilations.

Shake it up every once in awhile and you are going to get good things...even if its tough to swallow at first.

Girlystevedave
05-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm a little more than halfway through Fables Vol. 6, and I have to say that Blue Boy has become one of my favorite characters like that (snaps fingers)

The way he took down those three riders, the battle with the dragon - great GC action.

I can totally see why! :excited:

Arthur Heath
05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I just got a gift certificate for Amazon.com (never have had a bad experience ordering used graphic novels for extremely cheap, check it out) and I am DYING for some graphic novels. Ive been reading Y and Walking Dead I just wanted to open the floor for some recomendations.
The way Feeve has been going on about Fables I thought I would check that out. Any others?

Damn, just checked, no Vol. 1 of Fables. Lame.

OchrisO
05-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Powers, for sure.

Transmetropolitan, if you have never read it.

Arthur Heath
05-31-2008, 05:06 PM
I did the first couple of Powers and loved the dialog. Transmet is by far one of the finest graphic novels I have had the pleasure of reading.

fernandito
06-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Whaaaat? Youre trippin'.

Why didn't you like it?

Brice
06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I think he means Amazon didn't have it, not that he didn't like it.

fernandito
06-01-2008, 09:09 AM
:doh:

Arthur Heath
06-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Whaaaat? Youre trippin'.

Wouldnt be the first time.:cool:

fernandito
06-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Fables, Vol. 1

Amazon.com: Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile: Bill Willingham, Lan Medina: Books

Arthur Heath
06-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks dood, I've recently learned that if you type in the specific volume number its much easier to find than just typing in the title!
Vol. 1-3 is on route, Fables discussions soon to follow! I also ordered Ex-Machina Vol 1-3!

fernandito
06-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Vol. 1-3 is on route, Fables discussions soon to follow!

:thumbsup:

You're going to f'n love this series!

Girlystevedave
06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, you'll love it,..
Then you'll be at the freaking comic book store every other day like a junkie. And hey, your electricity might get turned off because you spent all your money on Fables, but it's good...you can just read by candle light.

Arthur Heath
06-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a dozen graphic novels on route from Amazon and low and behold the first one has just arrived! Warren Ellis' OCEAN. Anything Warren is a must read.

Rjeso
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Yay, I just started Y: The Last Man and Fables today. Both are very fun, but I am definitely preferring Y.

fernandito
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
That's the TPB, right?

It's a good price for what it is, since most TPB's range from $18-23 anyway...

BUT

I highly recommend buying the individual volumes, since there are side stories at the end of each issue that you won't find in the omnibus edition.

Brainslinger
06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I recently read Serenity: Those left Behind.

It's set between the Firefly series and the film, Serenity. It's essentially like a Firefly episode in comic form, and it's a great read, captures the characters well.

Apparently there is another group of Serenity comics coming out, 3 out already, (novel to be published October) and a third concerning the origins of Shepherd Book!

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
if ya'll havnt read the preacher series yet, you need to ASAP. its the most offensive, blasphemous, messed up shit you will ever read. if you are breathing, you will be offended, haha

Arthur Heath
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I thought Preacher was effin brilliant. Best damn graphic novel series I have ever read. Right now I'm reading Ex Machine. It's kind of a The Rocketeer meets West Wing. Its pretty good so far, thought by the same author, its no Y: The Last Man.

fernandito
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Did you start Fables 2 yet, Skol?

Jimmy
06-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Re-reading Transmetropolitan, and I just finished off the first 50 issues of Invincible. Transmet is always brilliant. Invincible is kind of bland.

Arthur Heath
06-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Isnt Invincible Kirkman Jimmy?
Feev - Havent started fables 2. My read pile is huge, which is awesome. Though I have Y 5 and 6 I cant start them until I get 4, which could take up to 21 days to mail. :arg: They just sit there and sing the silent songs, begging me to read them.

fernandito
06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm goign to pick up Y : Vol 3 and Fables 10 later on tonight. :D

Jimmy
06-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Isnt Invincible Kirkman Jimmy?

Yes, and he's great when it comes to zombie books, but his hero comics leave much to be desired. Fans danced with joy when he was removed from Ultimate X-Men.

fernandito
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
New Additions :

Y : The Last Man - Vol 3
Batman - Haunted Knight
&

DMZ - Has anyone else heard of this series? It's about a fictional revolution in the U.S, where Manhattan and it's surrounding cities break themselves apart from the country and consider themselves "free states". It's pretty interesting.

Also, I was going to pick up Vol 0 of Transmetropolitan, but I ended up making an otherwise unexpected purchase, so I had to leave it... for now! :cyclops:

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2008, 03:00 PM

That's where you're wrong. Grant Morrison IS God.

I never suggest Invisibles to anyone. It's for them to find. It's not really something you can just drop in someone's lap and say, "Have fun."

That shit might warp them.

You are very right. Grant Morrison is God. I just gave my friend Vol 1 of The Invisibles to borrow. He's not giving it back.

I read the first issue of Transmet. I need to pick up the trades. I love it.

fernandito
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Couple new additions...

Fables Vol. 10
DMZ Vol. 2
Batman - Haunted Knight

Seymour_Glass
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
DMZ's good.

fernandito
07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
How far along are you? Are you picking up the omnibus editions, or are you collecting them issue by issue?

razz
07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
i recommend to j00, Megatokyo. great comic series, so far five volumes. great computer, japan, scifi, zombie, ninja, consol-war, shonen/shoujo, comic. you can actually read the entire series here (http://www.megatokyo.com)

Arthur Heath
07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
DMZ? Tell me about this please. Should I be reading this? Who writes it? Publishes?

Emsizz
07-03-2008, 02:10 AM
This is an awesome thread. Last one I bought was Ultimate Spider Man #1... phenomenal.

fernandito
07-03-2008, 05:05 AM
DMZ? Tell me about this please. Should I be reading this? Who writes it? Publishes?

YES YOU SHOULD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(DC_Comics)

Seymour_Glass
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
New X-Men: brilliantly written, but the art is really uneven. I've shat better looking X-Men than Igor Kordey draws.

I read the Ultimates on the Fourth. Best thing in the Ultimate universe, and Brya Hitch is an awesome artist.

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills. Classic and relevant.

fernandito
07-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I've never been much of an X-Men fan outside of Wolverine's The End series...

Seymour_Glass
07-07-2008, 05:55 AM
I just finished Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. It's pretty amazing.

I just don't understand how someone could not really like the X-Men. They're like Marvel's Batman in that they attract a lot of great creative teams.

Arthur Heath
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I grew up on X-Men and love all things Joss so naturally I enjoyed his run. Cassiday's art compliments his writing very well.

Coincidently John Cassiday drew the four vol. series Planetary, who Warren Ellis wrote, which I just finished. Being a bunch of independant short stories that over time come together is takes a few reads to compile the whole story. But I enjoyed it more each time. Much recommended.

Seymour_Glass
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Warren Ellis is awesome. Transmet. I can't wait to get a hold of his Astonishing run.

fernandito
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
New Additions

Y : The Last Man Vol 4
Batman : Dark Victory
The Dark Tower #5

Girlystevedave
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Has anyone read any of the Hellboy graphic novels? I haven't started yet, but I am already drooling over the artwork.
:drool:

fernandito
07-13-2008, 05:14 AM
I've read a few issues, and from what I read they're pretty bad ass. Lots of Sci Fi and very fast paced.

Seymour_Glass
07-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I liked it fine, but I wasn't hooked. But I've heard that B.P.R.D. is a great mix of character moments and demonic action. I'll have to check it out.

Mignola's art is awesome.

Empath of the White
07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Has anyone read any of the Hellboy graphic novels? I haven't started yet, but I am already drooling over the artwork.
:drool:

If you like the artwork wait till you start reading them. For folklore/horror guys like myself they're a goldmine of pulp goodness. The only one I've read that I did not like was The Troll Witch and Others.

I recommend Hellboy: The Chained Coffin. Its the creepiest of the bunch, imo.

LadyHitchhiker
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm starting to read the watchmen but I am finding it difficult to enjoy so far

fernandito
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Why is that?

LadyHitchhiker
08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
so far I don't know who's who or why anything is happening and who I should be rooting for and I don't feel like it's going anywhere...

:(

And I want to like it because EVERYONE is talking about the watchmen..

maybe when I can read it uninterrupted when my husband goes to camp it will get better for me.

fernandito
08-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah, my brother read the book last week and he was having trouble keeping track of the characters as well....PM me any questions you might have, I"ll be more than happy to help you out :couple:

Arthur Heath
08-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Watchment isnt something you just sit down and blow through, loving every second. Its a story that takes serious absorbing over three or four reads in a years time. The first time I read it I wasnt sure what the hype was (long before the movie hype) it took me at least 2 reads for it to really start and click.
Hopefully the movie doesnt suck a la V For Vendetta, my other favorite Moore book.

fernandito
08-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Has anyone here read the WE3 series?

Seymour_Glass
08-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I ordered it through the library and it just got in. Haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, though. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Grant Morrison is my God.

fernandito
08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Let me know how it is, Seymour.

Seymour_Glass
08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes sir.

Empath of the White
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Can anyone give me a good Titans graphic novel that I can get into without a lot of DC Universe knowledge? I've been mostly a Batman guy and the Titans seem pretty interesting...based off of the cartoon that was on Cartoon Network a while back.

fernandito
08-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I haven't read any Titans, sorry Empath.

Seymour_Glass
08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I've heard the Geoff Johns run on Titans is good.

Ka-tet
08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
The Watchmen is very enjoyable.
The Dark Tower GN's go without saying.
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Bev Vincent
08-30-2008, 07:49 AM
My buddy Brian Keene has a new one coming out. Devil Slayer (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=925&disp=table).

fernandito
08-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Bev. :)

Seymour_Glass
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
We3 was great. I wish it could have been expanded a little more, but it was definitely worth the read. I've been reading a bunch of comics lately, and have to say that everyone should read Grant Morrison's runs on Animal Man and Doom Patrol. I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, too, but I'm not sure how others would react ot it. There's a lot of symbolism.

And I tracked down Flex Mentallo. For those of you who don't know, it's a four issue mini by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. It's their first collaboration, and probably the best work out of Frankie Q. that I've seen. It's my new favorite comic. It's super rare, but worth every penny.

fernandito
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
I read Transmetropolitan Vol. 0 yesterday - amazing.

Is the rest of the series told in this article/memoir like style?

Seymour_Glass
11-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Some of them are.

fernandito
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
C00li0.

I'm planning on stopping by my shop after work, hopefully they restocked Vol's 1 and 2 since they didn't have them last time I was there. I'll also be picking up the new Joker GC! :excited:

Seymour_Glass
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I've been wanting to read that. Tell me how it is.
I just read issue 4 of Final Crisis. By God, do I love this series.

turtlex
11-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Just a quick FYI : A new version of V for Vendetta is due in January -

A new trade paperback edition of the graphic novel that inspired the hit movie! A powerful story about loss of freedom and individuality, V FOR VENDETTA takes place in a totalitarian England following a devastating war that changed the face of the planet. In a world without political freedom, personal freedom and precious little faith in anything comes a mysterious man in a white porcelain mask who fights political oppressors through terrorism and seemingly absurd acts. It's a gripping tale of the blurred lines between ideological good and evil. This new trade paperback edition of the classic series from writer Alan Moore (WATCHMEN, LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN) and artist David Lloyd (HELLBLAZER) collects the epic miniseries and features the improved production values and coloring from the 2005 hardcover. On sale January 24 / 296 pg, FC $19.99 US / MATURE READERS

fernandito
11-15-2008, 05:13 AM
They didn't have TMP Vol's 1 or 2, OR the Joker GC :cry: I'll have to stop by next week.

I did, however, pick up The Invisibles Vol.1, which is pretty f'n amazing from what people have told me. :D

Seymour_Glass
11-15-2008, 09:32 AM
The Invisibles is one of my favorite comics ever. I'm a complete Morrison junkie.

Darkthoughts
11-15-2008, 09:40 AM
And for good reason, he rocks! I've been collecting Doom Patrol for years - finally finished early this year. This is my Morrison run:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/morrison.jpg

And the DP Flex issue and my favourite cover of the series:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/hewlettflex.jpg

fernandito
11-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Impressive Lisa!

I was going to pick up the first issue of DP yesterday, but I opted for The Invisibles instead. Next time though :)

Seymour_Glass
11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
That is very impressive. Especially the Flex Mentallo origin.

Darkthoughts
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks :D I've also got the Kupperberg and Pollack runs, I'm um-ing and ah-ing over whether to go for the more recent Arcudi stuff too.

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I just read X-Files 1, 2, and 3 and really enjoyed them.

Aaron
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I just ran through Fables Vol. 1 last night, and was pleasantly surprised with it. The writing was excellent and the premise was really well-executed. I'm going to have to pick up the other volumes soon.

fernandito
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Fables is f'n amazing, Aaron. I got Amanda hooked on them :innocent:

Aaron
11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Have you ever read Flight, Feev? I've been thinking about reading them, but I don't know if they're any good.

fernandito
11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Hmm... it doesn't sound familiar.... Do you know what it's about? Or who the publsher is?

Rjeso
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Has anyone here read the WE3 series?

OMG, saddest goddamn thing I've read in a long, long time. I enjoyed it, though.

I dig Fables, too. I've only read Vol. I, but it was great.

Arthur Heath
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM
My wonderful mother sends me gift certificates from Amazon Dot Com for Christmas, which I like to use for graphic novels. So Recommended Graphic Novels, recommend some graphic novels.

Seymour_Glass
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison)
Animal Man(Grant Morrison)
New X-Men(Grant Morrison)
Scalped
Arkham Asylum
The Invisibles
Hellblazer
100 Bullets
Alan Moore on Swamp Thing
The Umbrella AcademyIt's really good. Gerard Way should quit music and write comics full-time.

Arthur Heath
12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Though I grew up on the X-Men and thoroughly enjoyed Morrisons JLA run, didnt care for his X-Men run. Doom Patrol is something Ive always wated to read, god choice. Umbrella Academy's author, Way, was influenced from Morrison If I just read an article correct?

Arthur Heath
12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy are ordered. Anyone else?

fernandito
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I need to start Doom Patrol myself.

Skol - Have you read The Long Halloween?

Sam
12-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Recommended graphic novels.
Kingdom Come
Uncanny X-Men: The Mutant Massacre
Uncanny X-Men: Asgardian Wars (rare and difficult to find, but good read)
Powers
The Punisher: Max series (takes The Punisher to places Marvel never even approached before)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Long Halloween
Lone Wolf and Cub. (The greatest comic series ever written in any language.)

turtlex
12-26-2008, 03:08 AM
I think my favorite X-Men Collections are "Dark Phoenix Saga" and "The Extinction Agenda". I love both, and though "Dark Phoenix" is probably more well known, "Extinction Agenda", to me, is the better story arc. Both are fantastics, but I lean towards EA as the better writing.

Sam
12-26-2008, 08:04 AM
I thought Claremont was the best writer the X-Men series has seen.

Arthur Heath
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Im really enjoying what Ed Brubaker is doing with the X-Men. I liked Morrisons run, for the most part. But I would have to agree, Claremont was always my favorite. His run in the late 80's and then the reboot of the teams in the early 90's with Jim Lee was awesome. Thats what pulled me into comics.

turtlex
12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Jim Lee is the man, for sure! Anything he touches pretty much turns to gold.

Sam
12-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Except WildCats. That started out good and turned into a bunch of too much crap. In my humble opinion.

turtlex
12-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Sam! Soooo true! I had completely blocked that out!

Oh, and as far as recommendations? I cannot recommend Maus strongly enough. It's brilliant. Art Spiegelman's graphic novel is a masterpiece.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Maus.jpg

I've been to a speaking engagement of Mr. Spiegelman's and it was just amazing. He spoke at length about drawing Maus and the design and concept. It was just outstanding. Topping it off - I got my copy of Maus signed and he drew a cute little remarque of a Maus mouse!

Seymour_Glass
12-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Maus is amazing. And I just started reading Scalped. Pretty awesome. Read it.

Arthur Heath
12-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Maus is proof that graphic novels can be true works of art.

turtlex
12-27-2008, 03:07 PM

:D

I'm going to be putting up a note soon about the NY Comic Con, but just as a quick FYI... Art Spiegelman is going to be giving a keynote at the related Graphic Novel Con. Keep your eye on the forum for more info. I'm compiling stuff now.

fernandito
12-28-2008, 05:03 AM
I saw Maus at my shop a few weeks ago , but unfortunately I judged a comic book by it's cover and I didn't pick it up. :(

I'll redeem myself on my next visit though!

turtlex
12-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Feev - it's really amazing. It tells the story of Art Spiegelman's father's experience in the Holocaust. The Jews are depicted as mice and the Nazi's as Cats. There are actually two, Maus and Maus II.

Hey, it won the Pulitzer Prize!

Arthur Heath
12-28-2008, 09:36 AM

:D

I'm going to be putting up a note soon about the NY Comic Con, but just as a quick FYI... Art Spiegelman is going to be giving a keynote at the related Graphic Novel Con. Keep your eye on the forum for more info. I'm compiling stuff now.

I'll be in NY for the con. I'll be sure to take more pictures. I generally cannot get to watch keynotes due to work though. :arg:

turtlex
12-28-2008, 12:37 PM
AH - There is going to be a virtual who-is-who of DT artists at the NY comic con!

The keynote is actually part of an adjacent con for Graphic Novels. I think it's on Thursday and the actual con starts on Friday.

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 06:45 AM
I'd recommend the following graphic novels:

Box Office Poison
Blankets
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Fables (start with Legends in Exile)
Kingdom Come
Marvels
Maus
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (ignore the movie)
Batman: Hush
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: Return of the Dark Knight
Y: The Last Man

Aaron
12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
I'll have to check Maus out.

Oh, and we definitely need to talk about the con, Pam. Your beloved Directors may have an important mission for you. PM me when you get a chance. :ninja:

fernandito
12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Pam - I stopped by the shop yesterday, but they were all out of Maus I, they only had II :cry: Next time!

A couple of new additions :

Dark Reign : New Nation
The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
Transmetropolitan Vol. 1
The Dark Tower - Treachery # 4

turtlex
12-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Feev - Keep an eye out for it. I got a nice little slipcase set of I and II at Amazon a few years ago. Don't know if it's still available, though.

Seymour_Glass
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Tell us what you think of Transmet, feev.

Tiffany
01-08-2009, 08:04 AM
So, Feve. I picked up the first four Sandman books. I don't mind tellin' ya' that I'm hooked. So far, the fourth was my favorite.

I plan on picking up a few more soon, too.

fernandito
01-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Tell us what you think of Transmet, feev.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, Spider is now in my top 5 of GC characters. I'm going to pick up vol. 2 this weekend :cool:

So, Feve. I picked up the first four Sandman books. I don't mind tellin' ya' that I'm hooked. So far, the fourth was my favorite.

I plan on picking up a few more soon, too.

Excellent! :D

Vol. 4 is Seasons of Mist, right? I love that one too. 4 & 5 are the best ones, IMO.

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I read the first issue of Sandman a few years ago, it was a reprint DC released for 50 cents, no joke. I read that issue and thought, and still do, that is was one of the best comic issues I have ever read in my life.

Tiffany
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah, the fourth is Seasons of Mist. I loved it. I'm keeping my eye out for the next few at my fave used place. They have 'em pretty inexpensive. But fifty cents?! That's crazy luck.

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Best 50 cents I ever spent! hehe Great price for a reprint and I am so glad I bought it.

I really need to read the rest of the series though.

Aaron
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
The Sandman is excellent. It was really the series that got me hooked on graphic fiction. I still have a few volumes left to read. I've been holding out because I went through the first eight entirely too quickly.

Sam
01-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Read Peacher next dude!

Here's a series for y'all to try. Age of Bronze by Eric Shanower, it's a retelling of the Trojan War and very good.

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I've heard of Age of Broze but never read it.

Anyone ever read Bone, Box Office Poison, Blankets or Strangers in Paradise?

fernandito
01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Heard of them (I think), but never read 'em....

Wikipedia time!

The Cosmic Geek
01-09-2009, 06:22 AM
Blankets is a complete graphic novel.

Bone, Box Office Poison and Strangers in Paradise were all monthly books that have ended and are in graphic novels now as collected works.

Bone is a fantasy story. It has part Uncle Scrooge adventures part Lord of the Rings, excellent art and story telling and characters you love right away.

Box Office Poison is like High Fidelity. Great slice of life book about the lives of a few New Yorkers.

Strangers in Paradise is a highly acclaimed book about three friends, two girls and a guy, and about the twisted love triangle they are in. Extremely beautiful art and written with so much heart and passion the book is loved by both men and women.

Seymour_Glass
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Blankets is amazing.

turtlex
01-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Oh, yes - Bone is wonderful and Strangers In Paradise is GREAT.

Love and Rockets is good as well.

Sam - I was reboxing some comics up last weekend, and I have a PREACHER # 1 - I'm considering sending it off to get it graded. A very valuable comic :nana: to have.

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 05:59 PM
The first time I read Blankets I just cried at the end, such an excellent book.

I loved V for Vendetta also. Still need to read From Hell.

Sam
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Not as valuable as it once was turtlex since the series ended. However, with Ennis's popularity still high, it's probably still a good idea. I remember years ago I sold a wrestling card signed by Eddie Guerrero before he became hot, you better believe I was lamenting having sold it when he was riding high in the WWE. Go ahead and do it.

Another great story that may fly under a lot of radars is Powers. If you haven't read it check out the first trade of the series, Who Killed Power Girl? It's a really well written, intelligent story that centers around a pair of detectives rather than the superheroes. They investigate (super)powers related murders.

Seymour_Glass
01-11-2009, 06:24 AM
I loved Who killed Retro Girl?! I'm thinking about picking up kmore of the series. It may be Bendis' best work, outside of Daredevil.

Sam
01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I highly recommend getting the whole series up to know. There were some major things that happened and Bendis can certainly weave the fabric of a plotline very well. We're talking 900 thread count.

The Cosmic Geek
01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Powers is great. Love Bendis' work, I read the fist five graphic novels and they are just excelent, Retro Girl being my favorite. I haven't read it in a while though.

I really enjoy his work on Ultimate Spider-man.

Aaron
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I loved Blankets. We had to read it last year in my comic writing class and it was amazing. One of those cover-to-cover in a couple hours readings. It really helped set the bar for me concerning well-written stories in graphic fiction. Hell, just the fact that it is being used as a standard reading text for a college class focusing on writing graphic fiction is an indicator of how awesome it is. Anyone who hasnt read it should, and you will not be disappointed.