PDA

View Full Version : Would King have ever finished the series without the accident? *spoilers*

Letti
12-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Would King have ever finished the series without his accident?

How long would we have had to wair for?

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
I don't know anyone by the name of Kind, but I think King would definitely have finished soon, not AS soon, but probably a year more than he did.

jayson
12-06-2007, 07:41 AM

I used to think he wouldn't, or that he thought he couldn't. After Wizard & Glass whenever new King would come out I would have mixed feelings. I usually loved whatever new book I had just read, but also hated it because it was new King and it wasn't the Tower. I would have waited forever, but I am glad he finally chose to finish it [even if he had to almost die to get back on track].

Jimmy
12-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Champ Kind would have done a hell of a job provided he didn't wake up in any Japanese family's houses where they wouldn't stop screaming.

WHAMMY!

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:43 AM
I agree, he would have finished it, but his brush with death helped speed the process along. I think he became inspired after Wizard and Glass, but was just sorting out ideas

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Champ Kind would have done a hell of a job provided he didn't wake up in any Japanese family's houses where they wouldn't stop screaming.

WHAMMY!

Bingo!

Daghain
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure he ever would have finished it without his "brush with death".

I think he intended to finish it, but, like most of us, he always thought there was plenty of time.

Then he had a little reality check and realized his own mortality in a big way, and I think that lit a fire under him. I think, after the accident, he was determined to finish it while he still could.

ETA: Great question, Letti. :D

Letti
12-06-2007, 11:46 PM
I am not sure, either.
I am sure he might have given it a try... but I am not sure he would have finished it.

Darkthoughts
12-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Just think how immensely different the story would have been, if he hadn't had the accident - but still written it!

JasKo
12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
To put it this way: I'm glad I started reading the books after he had finished them all! :)

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
To put it this way: I'm glad I started reading the books after he had finished them all! :)

Lucky bastard!

jayson
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Just think how immensely different the story would have been, if he hadn't had the accident - but still written it!

For starters, he'd certainly have had to come up with something new for Jake.

sarah
12-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I went to a reading in 1998 or 1999 when he was touring with Bag of Bones and he asked everyone who was a tower fan to raise their hand. Only a third or so of the 300 people raised their hands. He said that he would finish it someday but that he didn't know when he would get back to the tower. A few months later he was hit by the car. He said the biggest question people asked at the time was when are you going to finish the dark tower and that he knew he had to finsh it.

Matt
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I truly believe that King believed he had to finish it. To save the Tower and that "forces" were trying to keep him from doing it even if it meant killing him.

alinda
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
yes, ka you know!:rose:

Wuducynn
12-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I truly believe that King believed he had to finish it. To save the Tower and that "forces" were trying to keep him from doing it even if it meant killing him.

Yeah, theres always another day..

Matt
12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
:lol:

Your people missed man, its over.

Jean
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
but that's true, isn't it? In the end, those forces always work against themselves. What was expected to kill him at last gave him a new inspiration... new experience... at last enabling him to finish what he had started.

alinda
12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
" I feel most alive when the death bell rings?"

Hi Jean

She-Oy
12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I never thought he wouldn't finish it. He's touted all along that the series was to be his "magnum opus".

But just like Lisa said, imagine what the books would have been without his accident. I'm positive they would have been completely different.

For one, I don't think he would have written himself into them, but after the near death experience, he came out with a strange view of what "we" all are and what we are here for.

Are we puppetmasters or are we the ones on strings?

MonteGss
12-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with Daghain pretty much.

NeedfulKings
12-08-2007, 04:08 PM
....he asked everyone who was a tower fan to raise their hand. Only a third or so of the 300 people raised their hands.

The other two thirds just hadn't read the books yet. 8)

I started the series right before 5, 6, and 7 were due to be released. It was just by chance...I was skimming my paperbacks and The Gunslinger "called" to me. I had tried reading it years before (as evident from the bookmark at page 50 or so).

As for King, I think he would have finished it, regardless. He would have done so by now, but it would have had a different feel. It would have still been good--and I think THE ending would have been the same.

CyberGhostface
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM
He probably would have, it would have just taken longer. Barring any sudden developments (such as a fatal accident or illness) I couldn't see him not finishing it. I mean, he's 54 (I think?) now. I think he would have been able to finish before he reached his mid sixties or seventies, and I can see him living for quite a bit longer after that.

I'm of the party that thinks had he taken his time with the last three and written them over a span of a few years instead of writing them in one one period they would have been better.

Daghain
12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
King was born in 1947. He turned 60 this year. Not old but old enough.

And this:

I agree with Daghain pretty much.

is why I know Monte is such a genius. :D

MonteGss
12-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Damn you're super-smart.
:wub:

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
But just like Lisa said, imagine what the books would have been without his accident. I'm positive they would have been completely different.

For one, I don't think he would have written himself into them, but after the near death experience, he came out with a strange view of what "we" all are and what we are here for.

Are we puppetmasters or are we the ones on strings?

Yes, I had a similar thought. I wonder if he wrote himself into the story after the accident because he came to realise, or maybe just appreciate, that DT had taken his creative self over so much that he simply was part of the story.

All the things he wrote about himself in DT (his thoughts and his diary entries) seemed to be more factual than they were fictional to me.

CyberGhostface
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
According to King, he knew after writing the Waste Lands that he'd be writing himself in and that an accident would have been in the story...of course, it wouldn't have been THE accident...

jayson
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
According to King, he knew after writing the Waste Lands that he'd be writing himself in and that an accident would have been in the story...of course, it wouldn't have been THE accident...

That makes sense to me as King's use of himself in the story didn't seem forced or as if it came out of nowhere. It seemed to flow naturally, and not take me altogether by surprise. There have always been so many connections between his works. I am one of those that subscribe to the "all King stories are Tower stories" theory. They all happen on some level or another of the Tower as far as I see it, and if they are not all in the same world, they are in worlds very close to another. It therefore seemed perfectly natural that King himself would eventually be a part of the central work in the canon. Everything's eventual.:cool:

Daghain
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
:D

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I am one of those that subscribe to the "all King stories are Tower stories" theory. They all happen on some level or another of the Tower as far as I see it, and if they are not all in the same world, they are in worlds very close to another.

Of course! If you subscribe to the concept of the Tower at all, then this is the only logical conclusion :thumbsup:

CyberGhostface
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
You quoted it wrong; R of G said that, not me.

Darkthoughts
12-10-2007, 05:08 AM
No worries - tis sorted ;)

CyberGhostface
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
In my mind, by introducing King as himself as well as bringing the actual Dark Tower books itself into the series it actually detracts from the series' realism. It just pulls you out from the fictional world that King created and goes "This is fiction! This is fiction!" even if King's intention was the opposite.

Jean
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Please dear friends don't forget that if King's appearance in the book is going to be discussed further, it should be done in that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1316).

hisDudeness
12-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't know about that. All I know is that if he didn't finish the DT I would have killed myself

TerribleT
12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
I've thought long and hard about this since King's near death experience, and since the release of the final three books. In the afterword of The Wastelands SK kind of apologizes for the book ending where it did. He says that these books are writing themselves, and he implies that finding the keys to Rolands world is difficult for him, and it requires him to "set his wits to it". He talks about Rolands world holding him "in thrall" maybe more than any of the other worlds he's created in his imagination. He alludes to this in the foreward of W&G as well. I think he meant for this to be epic, that maybe this was THE series of books which was the quilt that all his other books combined made up. That every single character he ever dreamed up lived someplace along the path of the beams. I think that SK, always had a basic outline for where Roland and his Ka-Tet were going, and what would happen to them, but that it took time for the stories to flesh themselves out, like a fine wine that must be allowed to sit and ferment. The first four books have a very different feel to them, than the last three books do. The first four books feel as though they've simmered to perfection. That they came when it was their time. The last three books have a lot more of an assembly line feel to them. They feel like that stew that's fresh off of the stove. It's good, but it'll be WAY better tomorrow, after it sits in the fridge overnight. I've also noticed a lot of the comments about the last three books seem to indicate that there is some discord for others here as well (Walters death). To sum it up, I kind of wonder if prior to his accident SK really allowed the books to simmer to perfection, and after the accident he rushed them. Didn't allow them to evolve completely in his mind, and pushed them to come out before they were really ripe. I'm kind of torn between wanting to know what Roland's fate would be, and King taking to time to allow each story to fully develop in his mind. I would almost rather he had taken the time to allow the books to "write themselves", and take the risk that we might not ever know the final fate of Roland.

sarah
12-30-2007, 07:55 AM
The last three books have a lot more of an assembly line feel to them. They feel like that stew that's fresh off of the stove. It's good, but it'll be WAY better tomorrow, after it sits in the fridge overnight.

I agree.

personally, i feel that the last three books felt rushed. He did write them in 18 months. 18 months is a short time to crank out three books. It felt like he was just rushed to get it over with. Don't get me wrong, I really love the last three books, i just wonder how it would've flowed if he took longer for the last three.

TerribleT
12-30-2007, 07:58 AM
The last three books have a lot more of an assembly line feel to them. They feel like that stew that's fresh off of the stove. It's good, but it'll be WAY better tomorrow, after it sits in the fridge overnight.

I agree.

personally, i feel that the last three books felt rushed. He did write them in 18 months. 18 months is a short time to crank out three books. It felt like he was just rushed to get it over with. Don't get me wrong, I really love the last three books, i just wonder how it would've flowed if he took longer for the last three.

EGGZACTLY!!!! 18 months is an ESPECIALLY short time to write three Dark Tower books. All of the other DT books took several years each to write.

sarah
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
yep. i sort of feel that king was over it all and just wanted to finish it and be done. Hey, I'm glad he did. who knows what he really felt about it all. He did say that he knew the ending ending since the beginning so at least there is that.

obscurejude
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM

I agree.

I agree. There is certainly a disparity between the last three books and the rest of the series. I am currently reading through the series for the third time and I am half-way through Wolves of the Calla. The battle of Jericho Hill seems a little forced and the emphasis upon the Horn of Eld seems misappropriated since they will symbolize Roland's damnation and possible salvation and it they have never been mentioned before. Its interesting to read the revised version of the Gunslinger which properly foreshadows these things, but they remain completely absent from the original yet pinnacle to the tale as revealed in the last three books. Don't get me wrong, I love the last three books, but they have a very rushed feeling. "Nineteen" is another example of what I am talking about. He may have finished the series without having the accident but I don't know...Wizard and Glass ends with very little resolve and even having read it four times I am still not sure at all about the green palace, what transpires there, and how the grapefruit places them back on the beam. Whether it was the car accident or a combination of Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis, I'm glad he finished the series either way although it lacks cohesion at points. Its still the best thing I've ever read.

Spencer
01-01-2008, 05:52 AM

I think not much longer than we did, probably in a few years as he approached 65, he'd have had the same urgency the accident caused, but not nearly with the same intensity.

Wuducynn
01-02-2008, 07:05 AM

I agree.

I agree. There is certainly a disparity between the last three books and the rest of the series. I am currently reading through the series for the third time and I am half-way through Wolves of the Calla. The battle of Jericho Hill seems a little forced and the emphasis upon the Horn of Eld seems misappropriated since they will symbolize Roland's damnation and possible salvation and it they have never been mentioned before. Its interesting to read the revised version of the Gunslinger which properly foreshadows these things, but they remain completely absent from the original yet pinnacle to the tale as revealed in the last three books. Don't get me wrong, I love the last three books, but they have a very rushed feeling. "Nineteen" is another example of what I am talking about. He may have finished the series without having the accident but I don't know...Wizard and Glass ends with very little resolve and even having read it four times I am still not sure at all about the green palace, what transpires there, and how the grapefruit places them back on the beam. Whether it was the car accident or a combination of Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis, I'm glad he finished the series either way although it lacks cohesion at points. Its still the best thing I've ever read.

I don't agree. I think them coming out faster than the previous ones is what gave them the impression of being rushed. To me, the books feel like he finally got a lock on what he wanted to do with the rest of the series and decided to finish it.
Now, there were inconsistencies with Drawing the most I've noticed, but that was because at that point he was just getting into the ideas of where the overall series was heading.

jayson
01-02-2008, 07:14 AM
I don't agree. I think them coming out faster than the previous ones is what gave them the impression of being rushed. To me, the books feel like he finally got a lock on what he wanted to do with the rest of the series and decided to finish it.
Now, there were inconsistencies with Drawing the most I've noticed, but that was because at that point he was just getting into the ideas of where the overall series was heading.

I agree with you Matt. A longer time in between each of the last three would likely have led to more inconsistencies between the works. Knowing King had no fixed outline for the series explains a lot of the incosistencies. When he wrote the last three I think he had a much clearer vision of the finish line than he had at any point previously and he wanted to just finish the story, once and for all. It could feel rushed to some because so much happens so fast in these last three books, but I prefer the series the way it is, finished, as opposed to waiting years for each new book to come along.

Allie
01-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Me too!!

I've thought long and hard about this since King's near death experience, and since the release of the final three books. In the afterword of The Wastelands SK kind of apologizes for the book ending where it did. He says that these books are writing themselves, and he implies that finding the keys to Rolands world is difficult for him, and it requires him to "set his wits to it". He talks about Rolands world holding him "in thrall" maybe more than any of the other worlds he's created in his imagination. He alludes to this in the foreward of W&G as well. I think he meant for this to be epic, that maybe this was THE series of books which was the quilt that all his other books combined made up. That every single character he ever dreamed up lived someplace along the path of the beams. I think that SK, always had a basic outline for where Roland and his Ka-Tet were going, and what would happen to them, but that it took time for the stories to flesh themselves out, like a fine wine that must be allowed to sit and ferment. The first four books have a very different feel to them, than the last three books do. The first four books feel as though they've simmered to perfection. That they came when it was their time. The last three books have a lot more of an assembly line feel to them. They feel like that stew that's fresh off of the stove. It's good, but it'll be WAY better tomorrow, after it sits in the fridge overnight. I've also noticed a lot of the comments about the last three books seem to indicate that there is some discord for others here as well (Walters death). To sum it up, I kind of wonder if prior to his accident SK really allowed the books to simmer to perfection, and after the accident he rushed them. Didn't allow them to evolve completely in his mind, and pushed them to come out before they were really ripe. I'm kind of torn between wanting to know what Roland's fate would be, and King taking to time to allow each story to fully develop in his mind. I would almost rather he had taken the time to allow the books to "write themselves", and take the risk that we might not ever know the final fate of Roland.

Well put. I tend to agree with that. Dont get me wrong, I still love all the books, but I think maybe King realised he may not have had as much time as he thought after his accident and rushed things a bit.

Matt
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Could be I suppose. I don't think the speed at which he wrote them should be a factor because he could have had pages of notes and outlines on all the books for years.

Could be the others could have been written much quicker if he hadn't been taking drugs. :lol:

Letti
01-15-2008, 05:20 AM
I don't feel he rushed. Not at all. He just had it all in his head. Sometimes you need years to finish a short story that's in your head and sometimes you can finish it during only one afternoon and you just writewritewrite. The way I see it time is not a factor here.

Matt
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I totally agree Letti. Just because it to forever to write some doesn't mean it always has to take forever.

jayson
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree with you both. Let me add this as well... even if it does feel rushed, does that not add to the feel of the quest coming to it's "end"? There are several references to Roland feeling as if things have sped up now that he closes in on his Tower. The so-called "rushed" feel works fine for me. I'd already waited long enough between books as the series progressed. On to the damn Tower.

Letti
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
But why does it feel rushed at all?

jayson
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
i'm not sure i personally think it is rushed, but perhaps some do because a lot of things seem to be happening over a short course of time?

ATG
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
He would have finished for sure.

Jean
01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
as you know, I love the last volumes, but the speedy introduction of Patrick Danville left me a bit bewildered. The saga lasted for seven big fat volumes, and now the character who is instrumental in destroying Crimson King himself appears at the very end, about 100 pages before he was needed?
Please understand me right, I loved the character, and I didn't mind him being introduced, just like I didn't mind Flagg's backstory in general; it's the hurried, eleventh-hourish way both were done that surprized me. Key element coming unprepared doesn't feel very King, at least not to me; nor does the underbaked backstory of a villain who has been with us for so long.

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
*cough* Deus Ex-machina *end-cough*

Jean
01-15-2008, 10:33 AM
no, I don't believe it was the case. I see it quite differently: not something that came to the author's rescue when he didn't know what to do, but something necessary, intrinsic to the story, something about which he perfectly knew what and why and how it was, but for some reason didn't get around to developing properly. It may have been laziness, neglect, fear of death, but not Deus ex machina.

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
It fits a lot better when you read Insomnia. Its one of the many things that happen to help Roland in his quest. Also, I think it shows that Roland was wrong about Insomnia being "tricksy" or however he put it.

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 10:37 AM
It didn't have a hurried feel to me, the story itself was rushing along with the last two books. But it doesn't feel to me like he was rushing writing it.

Letti
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I hadn't met Patrick before so maybe that's why I didn't feel that part "rushed".

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
You really ought to read Insomnia Letti dearest.

Jean
01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I was expecting this Insomnia argument... but it's again mythos vs. book, like that old comics controversy. I see the Dark Tower primarily as a novel consisting of 7 volumes, and such additional bells and whistles as other books as at best secondary. (the same is true when other books are considered; primarily, each of them must have a value of its own)

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
*sigh*

Letti
01-15-2008, 10:42 AM
You really ought to read Insomnia Letti dearest.

I will. :)

Jean, 100 pages are not short at all. Yeah, it's a long series but there are books that have only 100 pages. We are not talking about 15 but 100. Hm?

Jean
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
definitely so, but let's talk percentage. Comparing to the bulk of the novel, Patrick appears immediately before he is needed.
And it's not how King normally work! He always prepares important things in advance, approaching, retreating, developing, narrowing circles around them

Letti
01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
definitely so, but let's talk percentage. Comparing to the bulk of the novel, Patrick appears immediately before he is needed.
And it's not how King normally work! He always prepares important things in advance, approaching, retreating, developing, narrowing circles around them

I see your point, Jean but still it's quite okay to me. There were other characters in the book who were important and did important things but they appeared and vanished quite quickly... am I wrong?

Jean
01-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I can't think of anything that would be on the same scale. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Letti
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't think of anything that would be on the same scale. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

But we can't think in scales all the time, can we?
But I do see your point, Jean. I wouldn't mind at all if the last book was longer.

Jean
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM

But we can't think in scales all the time, can we?
But I do see your point, Jean. I wouldn't mind at all if the last book was longer.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif
only now realized that it's what all my complaints (not too many, by the way) about DT7 amount to. Should have been longer! and longer! and longer.............

jayson
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
only now realized that it's what all my complaints (not too many, by the way) about DT7 amount to. Should have been longer! and longer! and longer.............

i'd have easily read much much more

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Should have been longer! and longer! and longer.............

This is a complaint I can get behind. :thumbsup:

TerribleT
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I think a better term than rushed is shallow. The last three books do not have the depth of the first four, IMHO.

Woofer
01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
*cough* Deus Ex-machina *end-cough*

no, I don't believe it was the case. I see it quite differently: not something that came to the author's rescue when he didn't know what to do, but something necessary, intrinsic to the story, something about which he perfectly knew what and why and how it was, but for some reason didn't get around to developing properly. It may have been laziness, neglect, fear of death, but not Deus ex machina.

I really want to agree with you, Jean, but don't forget that

King himself, in the form of King the Wordslinger, leaves a note to that effect for Susannah. She finds it under the first hand towel when she is cleaning up after the exploding sore scene. {I love that part. I had been waiting for something like that to happen since first mention of the sore. :lol: }

The note begins ":) :( RELAX! HERE COMES THE DEUS EX MACHNIA! :) :( "

In my copy (Grant, hardcover, 2004), the note is on page 680. I've always found Patrick's entry to feel a bit forced (insert obligatory vulgar joke here), as well as the note to explain it

- especially after leaving the key for Jake and Pere.

So I think it was deus ex machina, but I also think it works, albeit awkwardly, in the established context of the saga.

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Why I did that *cough* *end-cough* was because Jean and I have had an extensive chat already about the deus ex-machina thing..

Wuducynn
01-15-2008, 08:44 PM
but I also think it works, albeit awkwardly, in the established context of the saga.

I didn't seem awkward to me at all, especially what we learn in Song of Susannah about King.

Woofer
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
AHTKC wrote: Why I did that *cough* *end-cough* was because Jean and I have had an extensive chat already about the deus ex-machina thing..

Ah, I thought you were just pointing us to the note. :doh:

Woofer
01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
but I also think it works, albeit awkwardly, in the established context of the saga.

I didn't seem awkward to me at all, especially what we learn in Song of Susannah about King.

This is where the rushed part comes in for me. As Jean mentioned, we only have about 100 pages before "the moment". Letti's right, that's nothing to sneeze at; however, it does seem rushed in relation to the magnitude of the role he plays in the end (IMO, of course). As the range of responses indicates, we're not all getting quite the same feel for it. And frankly, I can't say it will "feel" the same the next time I read it.

Phew! Hope that's clear. Crash time!

Jean
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Woofer: the extended discussion of Deus ex machina AllHail is referring to took place in this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1140)

as far as those 100 pages are concerned, it isn't even the quantity, it's the quality - I don't mean the quality of writing, but the composition. It's all straightforward, without any intrigue, he appears right before the finish line and moves directly towards it until he crosses it.
He is merely, purely, undilutedly instrumental, and that's what Kings normally wouldn't do when the instrument in question is intended to perform a task of such magnitude.

Woofer
01-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Woofer: the extended discussion of Deus ex machina AllHail is referring to took place in this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1140)

Thanks! I'll check out the thread.

as far as those 100 pages are concerned, it isn't even the quantity, it's the quality - I don't mean the quality of writing, but the composition. It's all straightforward, without any intrigue, he appears right before the finish line and moves directly towards it until he crosses it.
He is merely, purely, undilutedly instrumental, and that's what Kings normally wouldn't do when the instrument in question is intended to perform a task of such magnitude.

I agree, and much of that is still taken up with Susannah's... you know. I think it would have worked better if they'd kept Insomnia and read at least some of it on the trail. I think that it would have not seemed so awkward, at least to me. As you say, it's unlike what King usually does.

Allie
01-16-2008, 07:14 PM

The reason it felt rushed to me was, along with Patrick Danvilles quick entrance, themes and concepts and characters that had been being developed for a long time in the series, we cut off very short, like the demise of Walter, to me it sort of felt like King was unsure how to complete Walters part in the story, for all the importance he had in the first books, to end him like that felt wrong, like their was huge build up to nothing.

cozener
01-17-2008, 05:54 AM
Dunno...I think he would have but it would have taken longer...and I bet the last three books would have been different than they are too...probably better. I agree that the last 3 seemed rushed and the mood/atmosphere was not consistent with the first 4.

Letti
01-19-2008, 01:44 AM
For me DT 7 couldn't be better. There are a few parts I don't like but I wouldn't like to change them. It's good as it is (for me).
I don't think there could be an ending that everyone would like. Impossible.

Allie
01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh definitely Letti, King could never have satisfied everyone.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
The Dark Tower was his baby. he would have finished it.

walterodim
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
As a die hard lover of the very (unchanged) first book:

I would be satisfied if King wrote this year or 2-3 years earlier the 5th one (considering the pace untill the 4th one) And somewhere near 2012-2015 the 6th one. I wouldn't mind that much if the story would remain unfinished at the time of Kings death. Rather have 5-6 good books then 3 rushed ones.

I know it sounds harsh, but that's the way I feel about the last 3 books, even though I liked the ending.

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
:rolleyes:

walterodim
03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
:innocent:

Letti
03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Maybe SoS is a bit rushed... but the other two books are so so detailed and rich. For my part I don't feel them rushed at all.

Jean
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
how is SoS rushed? everything is pretty well detailed there, isn't it? There seems to be some rush about DT7, with new characters introduced apparently ad hoc, but even there it doesn't have to be given the simplest of possible explanations (i.e. that SK was in a hurry and all those usual accusations); there are multiple threads around where the development of the books is discussed and not necessarily condemned.

Letti
03-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Don't ask me, Jean.
I said maybe and a bit.

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 06:18 AM
The pace of the plot speeds up exponentially between Wolves and DT7 but I don't feel the books themselves were written in a rushed way.

jayson
03-04-2008, 06:27 AM
The pace of the plot speeds up exponentially between Wolves and DT7 but I don't feel the books themselves were written in a rushed way.

i agree, it fits more with the idea that time "started up again" as Eddie says. things start happening faster bc they are getting closer to the end of the path.

blackrose22
03-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the accident did speed SK into finishing the story. While recovering I think he saw the chance that he could die before he finished his magnum opus and knew that if he didn't get it done himself than his publishers might bring in somebody else (maybe Peter Straud) to complete it (so they could milk the cash cow for a few more million dollars). This would most likely have appalled him and got him motivated to see it through till the end.

Letti
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Can you imagine that the publishers might have brought in somebody else to finish it??? Who the blue hell would have read that?
I am sure I wouldn't. Never ever.

Brice
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I think the accident did speed SK into finishing the story. While recovering I think he saw the chance that he could die before he finished his magnum opus and knew that if he didn't get it done himself than his publishers might bring in somebody else (maybe Peter Straud) to complete it (so they could milk the cash cow for a few more million dollars). This would most likely have appalled him and got him motivated to see it through till the end.

I really don't think they'd have done that at all. I think if anything the only issue would be whether the tale was told or not. And as Letti said, I wouldn't even consider reading it if any other author were to finish it. Nor would I consider what they wrote part of the tale.

blackrose22
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Can you imagine that the publishers might have brought in somebody else to finish it??? Who the blue hell would have read that?

I know what you mean Letti but if it had happened I most likely would have read it out of curiosity just to see how they decided to finish the story. I really do wonder if this thought crossed SK mind after his accident.

Letti
03-04-2008, 09:12 AM

I know what you mean Letti but if it had happened I most likely would have read it out of curiosity just to see how they decided to finish the story. I really do wonder if this thought crossed SK mind after his accident.
I must say you are a very brave person. I wouldn't, that's sure.
Even if it was good I couldn't enjoy it. No way.
A novel or a series is like a personal diary... if you die or if you can't write it anymore because of some reason noone ever can contiue it. But I guess you agree with me.

blackrose22
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM

I must say you are a very brave person. I wouldn't, that's sure.
Even if it was good I couldn't enjoy it. No way.
A novel or a series is like a personal diary... if you die or if you can't write it anymore because of some reason noone ever can contiue it. But I guess you agree with me.

I really don't think they'd have done that at all. I think if anything the only issue would be whether the tale was told or not. And as Letti said, I wouldn't even consider reading it if any other author were to finish it. Nor would I consider what they wrote part of the tale.

When I heard SK had his accident I got scared that he wouldn't pull through and the story would be left unfinished (shouldn't of cared about the story really just as long as SK recovered and fuck it if the story was never finished). It got me thinking that his publishers might get someone in to finish it off (maybe not straight away but a number of years down the road). If this had have happen it would not be the end of the story for me as SK would not have written it. If it had happen like this I would have read it as I said just out of curiosity to see what another author might have came up with. So I do agree with both of you. But to say his publishers wouldn't do this I not too sure as SK is money making machine for them.
This line of debate is going slightly off topic I think. Sorry folks for that.

walterodim
03-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I understand the decision of King to rush the last 3 books (Canterbury Tales)
But I didn't like it. Still it's the best work of him and any other writer I know

KaLikeAWheel
10-20-2008, 01:55 AM
I hope this hasn't already been asked......

How do you suppose The Dark Tower would have ended if Sai King had never been hit by that van; if he could have gone on thinking he was going to live forever (like we all do until we find out otherwise)? Do you think King would have made an appearance in the story? Do you think it may have remained unfinished? I can't wait to hear your theories!

Donna

razz
10-20-2008, 02:41 AM
well here's a question. does King writing what happens directly affect the series? think that if he sn't hit, Jake would not have died. therefore Susannah may not have left. Mordred wouldn't have gotten the drop on Roland, Oy would be alive, and the three (or four, with Patrick still with them) would have climbed the tower together. then what happens?

Letti
10-20-2008, 03:04 AM
It wasn't easy to find the other thread it but I could.
Cry your pardon lady but I must merge the threads (they are quite about the same). But it means you can read lots of good posts about this question.
I hope the conversation will go on. :rose:

KaLikeAWheel
10-20-2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks, Letti! I just knew this question had to be here somewhere. I'll be back to play later. Right now I'm leaving work. :dance:

Donna

Sickrose
10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
This is really interesting question. When the narrative 'breaks the fourth wall' and discusses the accident and King makes an appearance it gives the impression of realty because it has the effect of removing the author I think. If King is in the book who is writing the book? I loved that idea when I first read it.

I think he would have taken longer to finish it but the story would have been different. Maybe he liked being with the Ka-tet as much as we have?. The accident is one of many things which made the book what it is. Maybe the fate of the characters would have remained the same but arrived at in a different way because it made sense I think that Roland climbed the tower alone. It felt right

RoseMadder
10-17-2009, 01:00 PM
He would have finished, would be different I am sure, but amazing still. And who knows? With String theory it is scientifically feasable to say that there is a dimension where it never happened, the accident, and he finished his opus in an entireley different fashion. :rose:

BillyxRansom
10-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Me too!!

Well put. I tend to agree with that. Dont get me wrong, I still love all the books, but I think maybe King realised he may not have had as much time as he thought after his accident and rushed things a bit.

Well technically, we still don't know his fate! :P

And now that he's possibly writing an eighth novel, I can imagine some fans are probably tapping their foot, going, "You're going to write an eighth book, yet you had to make us go through Wolves through TDT, which were clearly not up to par! Naughty naughty, Mr. King!"