PDA

View Full Version : After midnight - why aren't you sleeping?

Letti
12-06-2007, 12:57 AM
It's morning here but for my part I often ask myself this question. I am real owl and I can be so damn active after midnight.
So.

If it's after midnight where you are and you are not sleeping, let me know why (if you know it at all). ;)

Lance
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
It's four o'clock here and the only reason I'm not sleeping right now is because I haven't had enough to drink. :P

Letti
12-06-2007, 01:13 AM
It's four o'clock here and the only reason I'm not sleeping right now is because I haven't had enough to drink. :P

You mean water, am I right? ;)
4 o'clock. That's something. And when should you get up?

JasKo
12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Because I was watching Fresh Prince Of Bel Air! :D

Ruki
12-06-2007, 02:05 AM
i'm waiting for my hair to dry so i can bleach it. this should get interesting.

Jean
12-06-2007, 02:07 AM
post a photo!!!

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
post a photo!!!

What he said.

Ruki
12-06-2007, 06:33 AM
unless you mean a photo of me with a bag on my head or one of me in the shower you'll need to wait a while :)

ZoNeSeeK
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
showercaps give me wood

Letti
12-06-2007, 03:18 PM
After midnight - why am I not sleeping?
I am not sleepy. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/shrug.gif

JasKo
12-06-2007, 03:27 PM
After midnight - why am I not sleeping?
I am not sleepy. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/shrug.gif

Ditto.

But that's probably because I'm excited cause Erin is gonna help me get a iphone! :D :rock: :dance: :rose:

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
unless you mean a photo of me with a bag on my head or one of me in the shower you'll need to wait a while :)

I'm very patient.

ManOfWesternesse
12-06-2007, 03:38 PM
It's not midnight here yet, so I'd better not post in here........ Ooops!

Letti
12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Heeeeeey! I have come here just because of you. Just to know why you are not sleeping. Heeey! :D

fernandito
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
(is wondering how long til the inevitable masturbation joke arises)

ManOfWesternesse
12-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Heeeeeey! I have come here just because of you. Just to know why you are not sleeping. Heeey! :D

Well, I'm not sleeping because it's not midnight yet!
(Or maybe because you're still awake!):rose:

Letti
12-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Well, I'm not sleeping because it's not midnight yet!
(Or maybe because you're still awake!):rose:

Awww... after this I will have nice dreams.
Thank you, Brian. :rose:
Sweet dreams to you as well when your bed wins.

ManOfWesternesse
12-06-2007, 04:03 PM
It's midnight + 1 minute, and Letti just wished me Sweet Dreams:wub: - how much more ready for sleep could a guy be?
Goodnight folks!

JasKo
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm off aswell! Nighty people! :)

OchrisO
12-09-2007, 12:09 AM
(is wondering how long til the inevitable masturbation joke arises)

hehehe. You said arises.

(the answer is until chris notices the thread. )

I usuaslly don't go to bed until at least 5am, even when I have classes the next day. I do my best writing in the wee hours of the morning on no sleep.

Ruthful
12-09-2007, 12:21 AM
It's more than a quarter past three in the morning over here-and 8:20 in Wellington.

I should be going to sleep soon.

Lance
12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
My sleep routine is severerly messed up after years of working second shift. I'm lucky some times to be off of work by midnight. Tonight I got off at forty five minutes past midnight and that's considered early for a Sat. night. Yep, I'll be up for a while. :(

Ruki
12-09-2007, 02:02 PM
not after midnight yet but when it is i won't be able to post. so let's pretend it's really late. i'm at work. uck.

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
It's 10.45pm, but I should be asleep cuz it's a school day tomorrow and I have to get the kids up, breakfasted and dressed - and I'm so crap at getting out of bed...

...but, I'm going to have a gin and tonic first. Just as a night cap :lol:

sai blaine
12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
...but, I'm going to have a gin and tonic first. Just as a night cap :lol:
yeah night cap sure...sure...

:ninja: im more awake at night then during the day :ninja:

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
*slurp* wha...?

sai blaine
12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe me and spike share somethin in common... :evil:

Mattrick
01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Anyone else suffer from this? I've had off an on insomnia for most of my life but these last few weeks it's been really shitty. In the last twelve days I've not slept for five of those days. Last night I fell asleep watching 'The good, The Bad and The Ugly for the first time around 3:30 in the morning. I woke up just after 6 on the couch and got up to go down to my bed. There I lay for three hours not being able to sleep so I've been up now for almost eight hours. I woke up before I usually fall asleep and It's messed up.

My mom wants me to go see the doctor and get some sleeping pills to help correct it. Insomnia helped flunk me out of high school and it's so hard to get anything done when your sleep is so errattic and unpredictable. I can go to bed one night and get two hours sleep then sleep for fourteen hours the next day.

I'm really getting sick of this.

Let's talk, sleep comprimised people.

Jean
01-27-2008, 10:48 AM
a very good idea of a thread, thank you Mattrick for starting it!

Could you, however, alter the title somehow? The way it is it will always be confusing (I was this close to moving it to Cara Laughs and merging there).

Mattrick
01-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Don't think I have the ability to, think a moderator has too. Wasn't in my edit post options.

Jean
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
No, I mean, you think of a good name and tell me; then I'll edit the title.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I have always had horrible sleep issues. For the most part I just struggle through it, because I'm afraid of becoming reliant on sleeping pills. That's just my own personal choice. I wake up almost every night in the middle of the night, and am awake for anywhere from about 1-3 hours. I have taken to calling it "my extra TV time", and looking at it as more of a gift. *shrug*

Mattrick
01-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Jean, how about 'The Midnight Disease - Insomniacs Unite'

The Midnight Disease is the title of a book I bought on the drive to write and the mental conditions that go along with it.

I'm starting to get tired now and I want to go to sleep but the Royal Rumble is on in five hours. The other night I was sat on my couch for the better part or 24 hours because I couldn't sleep and wasn't getting tired. It freaking sucks. I hate people that say 'oh, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow' because that usually only happens to me when I go to bed pissed drunk and I've usually sobered up before I get to bed.

Any other insomniacs get tired of the same old advice? Go to bed at the same time and up at the same time...as if that works. Don't do anything stimulating for an hour before bed...I'm hardly ever doing anything stimulating three hours before bed. It's either these old remedies that don't work or sleeping pills which will probably become habit forming which is the last thing I need.

Jean
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Jean, how about 'The Midnight Disease - Insomniacs Unite'

The Midnight Disease is the title of a book I bought on the drive to write and the mental conditions that go along with it.
so be it

Bethany
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
i've had horrible, stressed induced insomnia for over 3 years now. at my lowest point, if i got 2 hours of sleep (not uninterrupted either) i thought i'd died and gone to heaven. i've leveled off at 4-5 hours now, but it's not good refreshing sleep and i never can depend on being able to get even that. i can't do sleeping pills because my metabolism is so whack even a child's dose of benedryl knocks me out cold and i'm the only one here with the kids so i can't be comatose.

alinda
01-27-2008, 03:24 PM
My husband suffers quietly with insomnia. His doctors have tried many
different tings and so far none have been too successful. Any practical
methods that have worked for any of you would be very interesting to
hear. Have any of you tried any herbal remidies like valarian root?
Or do any of you use a bi-pap machine?

jayson
01-27-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks for starting this thread. i too suffer from sleep issues, both falling asleep and staying alseep. meditation has helped with the falling asleep part, and i do much better with it than i had before [it's been a problem as far back as childhood], but when i do have nights that ican't fall asleep, it's for hours. as far as staying asleep, that's still a problem. i rarely if ever get enough sleep, and once i am awake once, i am awake. at least i get a lot of reading in.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Personally, I've never really found anything that works well for me. One of my big problems is that even when I'm not under stress, I tend to wake up and my brain is running 100 miles an hour. Once I get thinkin, it's over, I'm awake for hours. Like I said, I've kinda just learned to accept it, and make the best of it.

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
One of my big problems is that even when I'm not under stress, I tend to wake up and my brain is running 100 miles an hour. Once I get thinkin, it's over, I'm awake for hours. Like I said, I've kinda just learned to accept it, and make the best of it.

when i can't sleep, that's how it is for me as well T. I've found that meditation helps for me, but not all the time.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Welcome back brother, where didja take off to?

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
went to visit my parents for the weekend.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Glad you're back, I always miss your input.

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Gee, I can't imagine how CK Matt could re-interpret your phrasing there T, but thanks, I appreciate it. I'm enjoying reading the many posts I've missed.

TerribleT
01-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Gee, I can't imagine how CK Matt could re-interpret your phrasing there T, but thanks, I appreciate it. I'm enjoying reading the many posts I've missed.

He is indeed a sick, sick man, and probably will have many unfortunate misinterpretations, :rofl:

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
He is indeed a sick, sick man, and probably will have many unfortunate misinterpretations, :rofl:

that's what makes him great.

Mattrick
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
thanks for starting this thread. i too suffer from sleep issues, both falling asleep and staying alseep. meditation has helped with the falling asleep part, and i do much better with it than i had before [it's been a problem as far back as childhood], but when i do have nights that ican't fall asleep, it's for hours. as far as staying asleep, that's still a problem. i rarely if ever get enough sleep, and once i am awake once, i am awake. at least i get a lot of reading in.

Perhaps you have sleep apnea. It's a condition in which you can wake several hundred times in a night without actually noticing it. From what I know it's often caused from improper breathing. My dad went to a sleep clinic and found out in 8 hours he woke up over 1,000 times without knowing. He sleeps with a mask on, now and says it helps immensely. Might be something to check into.

Well, it's been 22 hours since I woke up and I'm not the least bit tired. I'm sure I'll make it a full day before I finally fall asleep. My recent string of insomnia has inspired a story idea though.
Someone is haunted by viscious nightmares. Each time they sleep they dream longer and longer until sleeping whole days away. Slowly they begins to become more wary of sleep, terrified that the next time they go to sleep they won't be able to wake up and will be trapped forever. To fight it the character would try and stay awake out of fear. As the days pass delusions reign and the creatures of the nightmares begin to leak into their concious mind as the character begins to see these things in the real world. Sound decent? I need a small project to work on before I finish my novel. I wonder if my not writing is in relation to my recent weeks of insomnia.

Darkthoughts
01-28-2008, 03:34 AM
I have trouble falling asleep, always have. It takes me around two hours to drop off usually.
Since having children I've also become a very light sleeper, I'm woken up very easily - and regularly as the kids still wake up in the night.
I get about 5-6 hours sleep a night, it'd be good to get a couple of hours extra, or even to have that 5-6 hours be continuous.

jayson
01-28-2008, 04:12 AM
5 or 6 continuous hours. that sounds like paradise to me.

Darkthoughts
01-28-2008, 04:15 AM
It would be, wouldn't it! No more feeling lethargic and irritable...or is that the beer? :lol:

jayson
01-28-2008, 04:16 AM
:lol:

Jean
01-28-2008, 04:24 AM
I should be hibernating...........................

R.F.
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I've also had trouble sleeping pretty much my entire life. I found a certain "herbal rememedy" that does help somewhat, but it is definately not valerian root ;D

When I just absolutely cannot sleep, I use self-hypnosis to atleast make up for some of what is lost. For some people, hypnosis can actually put you to sleep. I have not really had success using hypnosis to fall asleep, but trance is actually just as refreshing as sleep. I can't remember the exact ratio, but I once heard that one hour of deep trance was equal to about a three hour nap.

jayson
01-28-2008, 09:26 AM
RF, I suspect I use the same herbal remedy as you. It can be very effective. ;)

R.F.
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Indeed it can, as well as helping all sorts of aches and pains. Too bad such a good medicine has such a bad reputation.

jayson
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
perhaps that bad rep is perpetuated in part by companies who want to sell us more expensive [and often less effective] pharmaceuticals for many ills which could be treated with a much less expensive and much more organic alternative. as a chronic severe migraine sufferer, i find the ban on cannabis insulting to my intelligence.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill. At 18 years of age, doctors don't like to put you on a lot of different meds. I have already been through both Ambien and Xanax prescriptions. The xanax helps for sleeping, but the risk for physical addiction is rather high; especially when compared to cannabis.

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I've have had the horrible problem of sleeping more than four hours, no matter when it is that i go to sleep.

jayson
01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill. At 18 years of age, doctors don't like to put you on a lot of different meds. I have already been through both Ambien and Xanax prescriptions. The xanax helps for sleeping, but the risk for physical addiction is rather high; especially when compared to cannabis.

same here. i have tried both, as well as lunesta, rozerem and ativan. the ativan works, but when i wake up i am a zombie.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
perhaps that bad rep is perpetuated in part by companies who want to sell us more expensive [and often less effective] pharmaceuticals for many ills which could be treated with a much less expensive and much more organic alternative. as a chronic severe migraine sufferer, i find the ban on cannabis insulting to my intelligence.

Seriously? Dude, I'm gonna tell you I think ALL drugs should be legalized, and you should be able to put whatever the hell you want in your body. But drug companies contibuting to the bad rap marijuana has? I'm crying foul on that one. Maybe the more prurient interests in our society, but not drug companies. I can much more easily see them behind the idea of making it legal, so that they can sell it instead of the local hood on the street.

Oh I agree completely that big business has convinced our society that the best way to fix just about anything is to take a pill

I'm sooooo sick of the concept of the "evil big business". It's not even true. I don't think business is the reason for that. I think people are. They go to the doctor, and if the doctor says go home, there's nothing the matter with you, then they are upset. So doctors have taken to sending people home with pills, because it's what they demand. People want a quick fix for everything. Don't blame big business for the lack of discipline on the part of people.

Ok, guys, I'm willing to accept the argument that marijuana should be made legal, because it's your body, and you should be able to smoke it if you want. I'm also willing to accept the argument that since alcohol, and nicotine are both legal marijuana should be too. I'm not willing to accept that it has some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems. I don't buy it, any more than I do for smoking. It's not good for you, it has more carcingens than cigarettes do, and it holds the very real possibility of drug addiction, and further drug use. Just like alcohol does. I'm ok with arguing that it should be legal, but let's not make it more than it really is. BTW, in case you're wondering, I had a long and illustrious dope smoking career. I don't do it anymore for three primary reasons. It seemed to make me depressed, and that depression lasted for a good solid week. It's illegal, and I won't take the chance that it might cost me something really important to me, like a job. I think I kinda just outgrew it. I'm over it.

jayson
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Seriously? Dude, I'm gonna tell you I think ALL drugs should be legalized, and you should be able to put whatever the hell you want in your body. But drug companies contibuting to the bad rap marijuana has? I'm crying foul on that one. Maybe the more prurient interests in our society, but not drug companies. I can much more easily see them behind the idea of making it legal, so that they can sell it instead of the local hood on the street.

Than why do they continue to lobby to restrict funding for scientific testing on the efficacy of cannabis for myriad medical uses? The prurient interests in our society are certainly a factor, but not a factor with the political power the pharmeceutical companies have. Let's not forget GHW Bush was the president of Eli Lilly, Rumsefled the president of Searle, and so on, and so on. They have a lot of power, so if they wanted it legalized, chances are, it'd have happened before now. Instead we see them filing friend of the court briefs to overrule the states' rights of Californians. Facts are facts and the drug companies are no friends of the legalization movement.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Than why do they continue to lobby to restrict funding for scientific testing on the efficacy of cannabis for myriad medical uses? The prurient interests in our society are certainly a factor, but not a factor with the political power the pharmeceutical companies have. Let's not forget GHW Bush was the president of Eli Lilly, Rumsefled the president of Searle, and so on, and so on. They have a lot of power, so if they wanted it legalized, chances are, it'd have happened before now. Instead we see them filing friend of the court briefs to overrule the states' rights of Californians. Facts are facts and the drug companies are no friends of the legalization movement.

Got any links?

jayson
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Got any links?

When I'm not at work [and nobody can see what i am looking up] I will gladly find some and re-post.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
T, I agree that cannabis should be legal for recreational use, for the reasons that you listed. As for cannabis having "some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems," I don't believe anyone here ever said that it CURES medical problems, only that it helps. Is it magical? No, but it does help. Is it completely harmless? No, but neither is almost any kind of pill.

As for "evil big business," everyone has different views and opinions as to how society is shaped and what not. In my opinion, some pharmaceutical companies ARE at fault for perpetuating the idea that you can cure pretty much anything with a pill. I see adds on T.V. all the time trying to sell anything from anti-depressants to penis enlargement. Most people that see these commercials do not need anti-depressants, but there are a lot of people who see the add and then go to the doctor to see if they need whatever medicine they saw. Penis enlargement is a whole nother subject, and I believe it is all a scam to make money off of insecure males.

I am not saying DOWN WITH CAPITALISM, or even that the majority of businesses out there are bad. There are, however, some big businesses making nigh un-fathomable amounts of money off of people who don't really need what the company sells.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
When I'm not at work [and nobody can see what i am looking up] I will gladly find some and re-post.

Gotcha, an interesting side note...A good freind of mine is a daily pot-smoker. Colorado just placed an initiative on the ballot during the last election about legalizing marijuana. I voted for it, he voted against it. His reasoning was his kids. So sometimes it's your fellow pot smokers, and not the big bad drug companies.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
T, I agree that cannabis should be legal for recreational use, for the reasons that you listed. As for cannabis having "some magical benefical properties that cure medical problems," I don't believe anyone here ever said that it CURES medical problems, only that it helps. Is it magical? No, but it does help. Is it completely harmless? No, but neither is almost any kind of pill.

As for "evil big business," everyone has different views and opinions as to how society is shaped and what not. In my opinion, some pharmaceutical companies ARE at fault for perpetuating the idea that you can cure pretty much anything with a pill. I see adds on T.V. all the time trying to sell anything from anti-depressants to penis enlargement. Most people that see these commercials do not need anti-depressants, but there are a lot of people who see the add and then go to the doctor to see if they need whatever medicine they saw. Penis enlargement is a whole nother subject, and I believe it is all a scam to make money off of insecure males.

I am not saying DOWN WITH CAPITALISM, or even that the majority of businesses out there are bad. There are, however, some big businesses making nigh un-fathomable amounts of money off of people who don't really need what the company sells.

Caveat Emptor

jayson
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Gotcha, an interesting side note...A good freind of mine is a daily pot-smoker. Colorado just placed an initiative on the ballot during the last election about legalizing marijuana. I voted for it, he voted against it. His reasoning was his kids. So sometimes it's your fellow pot smokers, and not the big bad drug companies.

but my point remains. colorado could hypothetically have passed the initiative like california did, and the federal gov't still would have stepped in and put the kibash on it, just like they did with california. so much for states' rights there. i refuse to believe the gov't acts on anything without repsect for where their contributions come from, not to mention the number of policy advisors who were former pharm company execs. it's not a singular issue of cause and effect, but in general, corporations have undue influence on our process. until we remove the money from the process, it won't change. under our current system, a corportation has more rights than an individual. this is preposterous. it's not a conspiracy theory, but the way it works in reality. large corporations have a large say. are they the ultimate arbiter, no, but influence is influence and private people, or lobbying groups with no money have very little.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Caveat Emptor

By all means, let the buyer beware... but at some point companies have to take responsibility for pushing products that actually increase the risk of suicide and tendancy for suicidal thoughts in children and young adults.

jayson
01-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Caveat Emptor

By all means, let the buyer beware... but at some point companies have to take responsibility for pushing products that actually increase the risk of suicide and tendancy for suicidal thoughts in children and young adults.

How about "properly informed buyer" beware? It is not theory but fact that many legal drugs were fast-tracked by the FDA without proper testing/accurate results-reporting. it's hard to blame a consumer who was not informed of his/her actual risks, or even a doctor who prescribed something based on inaccurate reporting from the manufacturer. my sister used to work for merck, so i know a bit about dishonest these companies can be, not that there isn't a mountain of evidence that this false reporting is the case in many situations. i am not against the pharma industry, but i am against it not having to play by the oversight rules we are supposed to enforce in this country. do you think it at all telling that this is only one of two countries on the planet where pharma is allowed to advertise on tv? i surely do.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Pharma has done a lot to help mankind, but at the end of the day it is still a business.

Looking at insomnia in particular: I have tried Ambien, Xanax, as well as Lunesta. Ambien and lunesta did not help, Xanax did. So to help me sleep I can either take a pill which not only is PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE, but also has a long list of possible side effects, (Also, it is possible to O.D. on xanax, it does take a lot, but it is possible) or I can smoke a joint which is not physically addictive, and only causes a handfull of effects that aren't really that bad. If you stop taking Xanax after you are addicted to it, you go through physical W.D.s, which can include seizures and even death. If you smoke cannabis every day for a year and stop, you will probably have decreased appetite, minor agitation, and insomnia (which I have to begin with).
Cannabis does have medicinal properties. It is not a miracle drug, but it is damn close. While anything can be mentally addicting to someone with an addictive personality, Cannabis does not cause chemical dependency like nicotene, caffeine, heroin, xanax, hydrocodone, etc etc.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Caveat Emptor

How about "properly informed buyer" beware? It is not theory but fact that many legal drugs were fast-tracked by the FDA without proper testing/accurate results-reporting. it's hard to blame a consumer who was not informed of his/her actual risks, or even a doctor who prescribed something based on inaccurate reporting from the manufacturer. my sister used to work for merck, so i know a bit about dishonest these companies can be, not that there isn't a mountain of evidence that this false reporting is the case in many situations. i am not against the pharma industry, but i am against it not having to play by the oversight rules we are supposed to enforce in this country. do you think it at all telling that this is only one of two countries on the planet where pharma is allowed to advertise on tv? i surely do.

The push to rush drugs to market is not only coming from the pharmacuetical companies. It's coming from aids patients and the like also. I also have to say that with some of these drugs, they are being pulled off of the amrket eventhough they only cause problems in a very few people, and their benefit far outweighs their risk. One example is the arthritus drug that was recently pulled, because some people had heart failure while taking it. Some people die from airbags, but their benefits far outweigh the risks. Snake oil salemen have existed since the dawn of man. If you think you need help growing a larger penis, or hair, and you go out and purchase these products, then it's your loss when they don't work. I'm reminded of women getting breast implants, then suing the companies that manufature them. Ummmmm HELL-FUCKING-LO You're having a foreign substance surgically implanted in your body purely for the cause of vanity? What's wrong with THAT picture. Dude, people have to take some responsibility for themselves. Maybe your little boy isn't ADD, maybe he's just a normal kid with a lot of energy. i shudder to think how many chemicals I'd have been on had a been born ten years later. I would have been the original ritalin kid. Teenagers are going to go through some depression. As a parent it's your responsibility to recognize it, and help them work through it, NOT run them off to the shrink and get them put on meds.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
T, I agree that people should take more responsibility for themselves and their children. Sadly, that is not what I see happening, and also not what I see adds on T.V. advertising.

TerribleT
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
People advertise because it's effective. If it didn't help to sell their shit, they wouldn't bother advertising on TV. Again, businesses don't act against their own self interest. It costs a lot of money to put an ad on TV, if it doesn't raise revenue, they'd stop advertising.

R.F.
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Once again, T, I agree with what you are saying. I'm not sure that we are exactly on the same page, though.

By advertising and trying to help sell their shit, while acting in their own self interest, businesses can be acting directly against what is in the interest of those on the recieving end of the advertisements.

"If you think you need help growing a larger penis, or hair, and you go out and purchase these products, then it's your loss when they don't work."
If someone is not happy with their penis, or hair, and they are constantly bombarded by advertisements for products/drugs that claim to cure/treat/improve whatever, it IS their loss when the products don't work. That is the problem. Businesses can sell products that don't work, or can have horrendous side effects, or whatever, while something like cannabis which has beneficial properties with very little negative effects is banned and near impossible to do research on.

al'Lan Mandragoran
01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I was reading the namesake book by SK, when the urge to look up this disorder seized me. So, I asked a couple of my teachers, and I looked on the internet... and I found that I have insomnia myself. It can take me hours to even doze, and I wake up at around 3 in the morning. So... if anyone, who else has insomnia, or just trouble sleeping? What do you do to treat it? If you take meds, what do you take and what are the side effects? I'd rather not tell anyone who'll drag me to a doctor until I know what I'd be getting myself into.

jayson
01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
someone actually started at insomnia thread recently al'Lan. check it out...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1975&highlight=disease

Mattrick
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Went to the doctors today about my insomnia. Going to a sleep clinic probably in a few weeks and my doctor has a prescription of some kind of medicine if it's required.

Should be interesting.

Jean
01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
Went to the doctors today about my insomnia. Going to a sleep clinic probably in a few weeks and my doctor has a prescription of some kind of medicine if it's required.
A sleep clinic! I don't even think they exist here. I hope you'll post a full account.

Mattrick
02-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I find it difficult to sleep in weird environments, it's hard enough to sleep at home. Not sure how I'll do then. I want them to keep an eye on my REM, because when I dream I frickin dream. Who knows what the problem could be, I've got no clue. I'm tired now but if I felt like it I could stay up another three hours but I'm going to go to bed right after I finish this post.

I've been up since 3:30 am last night and that was after a four hour nap so that's about 4 or 5 hours sleep in about two days :D

It's so hard to get any work done like this.