PDA

View Full Version : Weird Coincidences While Reading Non-DT Books

Jean
12-05-2007, 03:37 AM
We already have a thread in Gilead for coincidences while reading the DT (Nineteen and other coincidences... (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=408)); here you can post all kinds of coincidences, especially those that make you wonder whether they can be called coincidences at all - that happened in your life while reading King books other than DT.

I am re-reading Black House now. Yesterday was in a supermarket where I never usually go (it's more expensive than ours), and one funny gadget on the shelf caught my attention. It was a white egg-shaped thing meant for 1) indicating if the temperature in the fridge wasn't too high; 2) absorbing refrigerator smells. It wasn't too expensive, and I love those toys (unknown to Soviet people for decades), so I bought it.

It was supposed to change its color if the temperature is ok.
It was steadily changing it for a few hours.

Now... I think those who have read Black House have already guessed. I have this perfect (have just googled a few images and checked) robin-egg-colored plastic egg in my fridge.

What similar experience did you have, or are you having?

Storyslinger
12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Well, about the time that I had read the part in The Drak Tower where Susan throws away Rolands gun, my house was broken into and the .45 replica of Rolands gun that I got from my grandfather was stolen. Besides being mad, it shocken me that the gun disappeared in two (places?times?)

Jean
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Storyslinger, I'm sorry I didn't make the title of this thread more specific - it's for non-DT books; I have copied your post to that other thread. I made the necessary amends to the title and to the first post, too.

Storyslinger
12-05-2007, 07:19 AM
:doh:

Well, there was that time when I had just finished Salam's Lot and an old abandonded house by me started having lights on in the hours 11:00 PM-3:00AM. That was creepy, it still happens, but not as often, the weirdest part is that now that we have snow, you should be able to see tire tracks or footprints leading up there if someone was staying there, but there isn't.

Erin
12-05-2007, 07:25 AM
When I lived in North Carolina, I was reading Cujo for the first time. Two days after I finished reading the book, a new family moved in with their dog. What kind of dog was it? You guess it. A St. Bernard!

He really turned out to be a sweet dog, but I have to admit I kept up my guard around him for quite some time. :)

Will
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
When I first read The Stand, I got sick the day I picked it up.

Sai_Rhavan
12-05-2007, 09:17 AM
The day after watching It, I had to go to a circus...
Not creepy for you guys, but I was 8.

Matt
12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
The circus is always creepy to me. :ninja:

That deal with Charlie the Choo Choo riding kids on his back....but they weren't laughing, they were screaming.

That's all circus' to me.

Sai_Rhavan
12-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Oh, here's one that happened friday!
I finished Insomnia, and woke up around 5, with no luck getting back to sleep.
After 1 day of that, I felt sorry for Ralph.

Darkthoughts
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I've been rereading IT: at the weekend a friend of ours was having a fancy dress party, he phoned and asked if I would paint his face to go with his costume (I do alot of face painting at kid's parties)...when he turned up he was dressed as...yep, a clown. Kinda freaked me out :lol:

More freaky than that was, I was reading It on Monday. There was no one in but me and Max (he's nearly 3) and for no reason whatsoever he said "I like clowns!" There wasn't anything to do with clowns on tv, there isn't a clown or anything to do with them on the cover of It...freaky :o

Erin
12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
More freaky than that was, I was reading It on Monday. There was no one in but me and Max (he's nearly 3) and for no reason whatsoever he said "I like clowns!" There wasn't anything to do with clowns on tv, there isn't a clown or anything to do with them on the cover of It...freaky :o

That really freaks me out too for some reason! :scared:

Darkthoughts
12-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I know...I was all like *trying to be calm* "Er...why did you say that Max?" :lol:

Jean
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I would have had a heart attack. Seriously. Kids are creepy enough by themselves, half-living in some unknown world, and when they emerge from it with such statements, and the timing is just right (=wrong) -

Darkthoughts
12-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Max just looked at your sig and said "Bears are scary!" so you're safe :lol:

Jean
12-06-2007, 01:40 AM
oh no! please tell him bears are kind, cuddly, soft, and funny! Does he know Paddington or Winnie-the-Pooh?

Darkthoughts
12-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Yes, he likes them...and Bear in the Big Blue House (who I sent you a pic of on your birthday I think)...he was just being obtuse, as is his way :D

Jean
12-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Bear in the Big Blue House! that's who it was. Bear likes! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

sorry friends we've been off-topic for some time, but it was important... just like diamonds are a girl's best friend, bears are a kid's.

mr.nineteen
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I was really sick during my read of The Stand. But the book is so immense I recovered while reading it too.

Darkthoughts
01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I keep meaning to post that we went bowling for my daughters birthday - and when we got there we had to take the only lane that was available...lane 19 :lol:

obscurejude
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
The first time I read Salem's Lot I was twelve or thirteen and had recently moved in with my father who lived in a very rural town outside of Columbia S.C. We had no AC that summer and had the windows open all of the time, particularly at night when we were trying to sleep. It really started to freak me out and I finally just took the fan out of the window and closed it when I was sleeping. I didn't want the vampires to think I was sending out an open invitation.

mr.nineteen
01-17-2008, 10:58 AM
This didn't happen while reading it, but it happened nonetheless.

In December I went to Ciudad Juarez, Ch. Mex and stayed in this hotel called the beach, in room 217. It was kind of freaky, it was the only room available in the whole hotel at that precise moment. Needless to say, staying alone there was creepy. ><

TerribleT
01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I was a Military Policemen working the nightshift guarding a building that contained classified information and equipment. There was no one else around, and the place was silent. I was in the middle of a book named Ghost Story, and was near the scariest part of the book. I was sitting on the edge of my seat, really freaked out by this book when all of a sudden an air compressor went off in one of the closets. I about shit my pants. I had NEVER heard this compressor before, and I had logged many hours on this particular gaurd post at night. I pulled my pistol out of my holster, chambered a round, and kept it out of my holster while walking the building (A violation of regs BIGTIME) to make sure there was no one there. There wasn't a soul around, so now I was REALLY freaked. I walked around the outside of the building, and made sure there wasn't anyone around. I went back in, set my weapon down on a shelf near my hand, and kept reading. I NEVER heard that compressor again. It freaked me right the fuck out!!!

Darkthoughts
01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
About two weeks ago I bought a new copy of The Shining because I'd lost my old one and wanted to reread it.
I haven't read it in years...over 15 at least, so I'd forgotten alot of stuff that happened in it.

Anyway, when I got it home I put it in the cupboard under the stairs, which is where I keep all my books.
I opened the cupboard the next day to get the book out and heard a loud buzzing noise. It sounded like a bee or a wasp and my immediate thought was "Shit!", because we had a wasp nest in the attic two years ago and I wondered if wasps had come back and re-nested.

Then, after I shut the door I thought...hmm, this cupboard is downstairs, how would they get from the attic into my cupboard? Theres no way to get into the cupboard other than through the door infact, so how did a wasp get in there at all? Plus, its January...whoever heard of wasps in January?

It puzzled me for a while, but eventually I made a cup of tea, sat down and started to read.

Did I ever freak the fuck out when I got to the part about Danny and the wasps nest!!!

I haven't heard buzzing in there since :ninja:

Brice
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
That's a bit creepy. :scared:

Darkthoughts
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I wasn't going to post it at first, like when it actually happened, because it really scared me and I also thought, no-one will believe it - I checked the cupboard about 5 or 6 times and didn't find anything.

Brice
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
:chills:

Check again. :panic:

Darkthoughts
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
But...I'm scared...:panic:

Brice
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Me too! :scared:

ATG
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Cool story.

childeluke
01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
while reading jack kerouac's ON THE ROAD. the words eddie and dean appear in the same sentence on a page who's #s add up to 19....wierd. Also a Jake is introduced later on.

Adumbros
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
ok, how this for double-irony?

i was just reading this thread earlier today and thinking about how nothing related to this thread has ever happened to me before; now, 5 minutes ago, i log out so i can go home and read the final 131 pages of It, and what should happen as I walk down the street toward home but i see a vehicle from West Virginia with the vanity plate

WEBBY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiffany
09-18-2008, 06:17 AM
This happened when I was almost done with Insomnia.

I was in a store and had accidentally bumped into an older woman in produce. I apologized and I don't remember exactly what her reply was....something along the lines of "Fuggedabouddit" which doesn't really matter. What mattered was that she addressed me as "Short-timer."

Gave me chills. I was waiting for her to whip out some scissors.

Brice
09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
:scared:

Ozymandias
06-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Not freaky, just a big coincidence but I read Insomnia in 9th grade and lent it to three friends. Well all three of us that year got some type of insomnia. One had trouble going to sleep initially, one had trouble waking up like 3 hours earlier than normal and being unable to sleep, and I started waking up 2-3 times every single night (which lasted 4 very long years). Needless to say, I don't lend the book out to anyone that isn't prepared to lose some sleep.

mystima
06-29-2009, 03:56 AM
i was reading a book called Dragon Harper by Anne and Todd McCaffery. the story is about a pandemic of influenza that killed those that were in the prime of their lives. at the end of the book it has facts about all the flu epidemics that happened in our time...the one in the book described exactly the flu crisis we are having now in mexico!!!!

mystima
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
just finished reading Rose Madder. i was at the local resale shop and saw a painting of a blond haired girl looking off into the distance...didn't buy the painting....it was just a weird coincidence.:panic:

alinda
07-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Freaky stuff gang, I think I'll go read a book now....:orely:or should I?

Jean
06-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Have just watched a horror movie (namely, Lake Dead) whose music was composed by a Mark Petrie. Listened very attentively. Nothing special, though.

Sickrose
06-08-2010, 04:09 AM
I love this kinds of things.

I have one. I have always been a big Stephen King fan but for some reason never fancied reading Pet Semetary and always thought I wouldn't. I saw the movie and it was pants so it kind of put me off.

Anyway, a few years ago, not long after I had left home, I was walking through the town centre where my other half lives and a charity shop had a table outside because they were having a book sale and on the table was Pet Semetary. A really battered copied at that. It was cheap enough so I bought it ( I wasnt buying books that day or thinking about it).

Cut to a week later and I was visiting my mum and dads and unfortunately our pet dog had died. Weirdly, it was the day I bought the book but I had no idea. My parents wanted to wait to tell me face to faces so waited a week!

Needless to say it was traumatic but I ended up loving Pet Semetary!

beam*seeker
05-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Okay, so I recently have developed an inability to take any kind of flu vaccination due to my hyperactive immune system. And "they", by whom I mean those mysterious scientists (which is a way to say I am pulling my source out of my ass here, but play along, okay?) say that "we are due for a superflu" like the 1900s where a significant portion of the population was wiped out. Then, this past year they had teh weird flu--heck I don't even remember what they called it but I am thinking "oh crap its Captain Trips," right?

Great thread, I just wanna bump it uup again cuz its creepy