PDA

View Full Version : New hardcover editions of The Talisman & Black House

mae
05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Not sure why these are being published. Possible Talisman 3 in the wings?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GHVJpSJ%2BL.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519J5hl1YZL.jpg

Both out November 6, 2012.

Bev Vincent
05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
By all reports, there's been no work done on T3.

herbertwest
05-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Those covers are sweet!

US or UK? Which publisher?

Ari_Racing
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
US. Scribner.

Bev Vincent
05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
That sort of explains it then -- Scribner never had the rights to those books before. They must have reverted from Random House and been assigned to Scribner.

Ari_Racing
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Black-House/Stephen-King/9781451694925

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Talisman/Stephen-King/9781451694918

Brice
05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I like both of thoe covers a lot.

biomieg
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Me too! As a combo, I like these better than the original Black House and the reddish (?) Talisman reissue.

Merlin1958
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Me too! As a combo, I like these better than the original Black House and the reddish (?) Talisman reissue.

I agree!!!!

Wuducynn
05-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Damn nice covers. I can't wait until a Talisman/Black House 3.

mae
06-15-2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_kingst04

As you might know, Scribner is publishing stunning new hardcover editions of
The Talisman and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Due to
popular demand, we'll be creating a special slipcase to house both books in
stylish fashion for our collectors, and as a special bonus we're including
an incredible poster created by Tomislav Tikulin just for this set! This
poster will feature original, never-before-seen artwork and it'll look great
on the wall of your office, reading room, den, or library.

We'll only create enough slipcases and posters to fill our preorders, so
there might only be a couple dozen or a few hundred (at the very most!) of
these collectible book sets anywhere in the world!

About the Book:
This fall, Scribner will be publishing stunning new hardcover editions of The Talisman and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Due to popular demand, we'll be creating a special slipcase to house both books in stylish fashion for our collectors, and as a special bonus we'll be including an incredible artwork poster created by Tomislav Tikulin just for this set! We'll only create enough slipcases and posters to fill our preorders for the two book set, so there might only be a couple dozen or a few hundred (at the very most) of these collectible book sets anywhere in the world! Place your order early so you don't miss out!

Included in this Collectible Set:
* the new hardcover edition of The Talisman, to be published by Scribner this fall ($35.00 retail value)
* the new hardcover edition of Black House, to be published by Scribner this fall ($35.00 retail value)
* a special Limited Edition Slipcase custom-made by Cemetery Dance specifically for this set. This huge slipcase will be sized perfectly to protect both books and the design features will include custom hot-foil stamping and the high production values of our previous Stephen King slipcases. ($29.95 retail value)
* an original full-size poster featuring original artwork by Tomislav Tikulin that is being commissioned by Cemetery Dance specifically for this set ($20 retail value)

So that's nearly a $120 retail value for just $99, and the slipcase and the poster will not be sold in stores! If you want this very cool collectible set for your Stephen King collection, this is the place to order!

biomieg
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
I ordered the set (despite the insane shipping costs to Europe). Looking forward to receiving it!

mae
06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm not a big fan of the new covers. I think it's the bland font.

frik
06-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I ordered the books through Amazon. Nice discount, plus very low shipping/handling costs.
The slipcase I hope to order from CD at a later date.

sk

biomieg
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I understood that CD will only produce as many slipcases as needed for the number of sets that are ordered.

frik
06-15-2012, 11:39 AM
There are always extras.....(I hope..)

sk

WeDealInLead
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of the new covers. I think it's the bland font.

Co-signed. I don't get why his covers are getting simplified with the advance of tools available to artists. His older fonts were, at least to me, much more eye-catching: It, Misery, Bag of Bones, The Shining, The Green Mile, most DT books etc. These two fonts in particular stand out too much. Maybe a different shade and a little more blending into the picture would've worked better.

I'll still buy them but I wish his camp cared enough to put a little more thought and effort into it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-16-2012, 03:14 AM
I ordered the slipcase with books from CD. I want to see how many items I can get back-ordered from CD. It's a contest I'm having with myself; the anticipation is killing me, but it's FUN waiting for all these books and things to come out (I realize that's a contradictory statement, but it's still true). Once they arrive I look at them and then put them on my groaning bookshelves, only to see them again when I dust them.

Shannon
06-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Dust? We're supposed to dust our books? Nobody ever told me this ... ;)

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-16-2012, 10:01 AM
It's a serious situation! Dust mites lay 30 to 50 eggs every few days, and dust accumulates mainly on books and carpeting, causing allergic reactions and breathing problems. I read it in the newspaper, so it must be true.

Ben Staad
06-16-2012, 05:16 PM
These new books draw zero interest from me. Great books but I already own them...

Dan
06-16-2012, 05:48 PM
These new books draw zero interest from me. Great books but I already own them...

I've felt the same way. I wouldn't mind the slipcase, but doesn't seem like it's worth the price for a couple of reprints.

biomieg
06-17-2012, 12:39 AM
I like these covers a lot so I will be getting them anyway. But the humongous shipping costs ($64!) are starting to gnaw at my conscience... maybe Siep's way is the way to go after all.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-17-2012, 04:03 AM
Well, to put it into perspective, I almost didn't buy the 2nd printing of THE GUNSLINGER trade hardcover from Grant. After all, I already had two editions of it. I doubt these books will increase in value that much, but you never know!

frik
06-17-2012, 04:22 AM
But the humongous shipping costs ($64!) are starting to gnaw at my conscience... maybe Siep's way is the way to go after all.

No maybe about it, Michaël! :)

sk

Dan
06-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Well, to put it into perspective, I almost didn't buy the 2nd printing of THE GUNSLINGER trade hardcover from Grant. After all, I already had two editions of it. I doubt these books will increase in value that much, but you never know!

That is true, but The Gunslinger was a limited print novel. If your going for price increase, probably not much. But sometimes collecting isn't purely about monetary value.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-17-2012, 01:29 PM
You're absolutely right. I never buy books thinking about how much they'll be worth in the years to come. I buy them because I like collecting and reading them. At the same time, it's a thrill to see a book you paid pennys for worth at least a couple of bucks!

Dan
06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Very true! I do love when that happens.

mtdman
06-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Is there any additions or revisions or changes to the story? New preface/epilog?

mae
06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Is there any additions or revisions or changes to the story? New preface/epilog?

Quite doubtful. These were, respectively, Viking and Random House books, and now, apparently, Scribner got the rights, so they're putting them out.

mae
07-03-2012, 07:16 AM
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=3197

Peter Straub: Sorry, Lilja, plans for the third book have gone no further than before. The new editions of the first two came about because the 10-year licenses on the previous editions came to an end, freeing us to sell the books all over again.

you ever seen a ghost?
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
does anyone have the new editions? i'd like to get some details so that i can include them in the next edition of the bibliography.

thanks.

-justin

WeDealInLead
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
What information do you need? I have the books and I could send you information or pics tomorrow after 4 when I'm home from work.

biomieg
01-05-2013, 04:27 AM
WeDealInLead, would it be possible for you to locate another set and send them to me? The copies I got from Amazon were badly damaged so I will not go down that road again. Several other members here promised to look out for copies but they seem to be hard to come by. I would be very grateful!!

mae
01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Amazon also has the Look Inside feature enabled for The Talisman and Black House.

The "Also By" page is finally back, and it even lists "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" under PLAYS.

WeDealInLead
01-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Michael,
That's no problem at all but I think you're better off getting them from CD or vjbooks.com. Canadian price is $47 + tax each. That's already a little more than $100. Add Canadian shipping which is more expensive than US. Honestly, I had $50 in gift cards and there was a 30% off sale or I probably would've passed on them. When you sign up for the newsletter from vjbooks.com, you get a 15% off code and his books will have a slipcase and will be signed by Straub.

It's not a problem at all for me to buy the books but I'd get them from VJ or CD if I were you. Let me know and I'll go get them if you want.

biomieg
01-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Okay, thanks - maybe I'll go for the vjbooks set after all!