PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's preface to Dracula: Complete Unabridged Collectors Edition

mae
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
This apparently came out last year, but as far as I can see searching the forum, it went unnoticed:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PLu5ryaPL.jpg

King's preface is short, and can be read in its entirety by using Amazon's Look Inside feature.

I'll quote it here, since it's publicly available:

Monsters In Your Closet:
А Preface by Stephen King

Few novels had the impact оn me that Dracula did. In college, even guys in my literature class talked about it, and as I read and re-read it, I realized it was the original vampire cloth from which all others had been cut. I know one thing, it scared the blооdу well-hell out of me.

The story seemed а simple оnе. А young solicitor named Jonathan Harker travels to Transylvania to assist Count Dracula in а real estate transaction. While the first chapter starts off pleasantly enough, Harker soon begins to note odd happenings and details of the people and events he experiences while traveling deeper and deeper into the Carpathians. Gloomy castles standing high in the mountains, odd figures half-obscured by the dark, eerie landscapes with flashing lights, and howling wolves trail Harker as he journeys ... unaware of the mystery and horrors he and his love Mina Murray are soon to become entangled with. Only with the help of such noted characters as Professor Van Helsing, John Seward, Arthur Holmwood, and Quincey Morris does good prevail over evil.

There was talk in literary circles that Stoker had been inspired by the stories of Vlad The Impaler and а few others, but had he been inspired by anything, I believe it was Joseph Sheridan LeFanu's (1814-1873) Gothic vampire novella Carmilla (1872) that was the main influence. Nobody will ever know, for Bram Stoker took the secret to his grave, but not before he penned а sequel, Dracula's Guest, which was published posthumously.

While Stoker wrote numerous novels and short stories, he is chiefly remembered today as the author of this best-selling novel.

Of all the monsters in my closet, this is the one that scares me most, and probably always will.

- Stephen King
10 JAN 11

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936828154/

needfulthings
04-27-2012, 11:05 AM
AND DON'T FORGET. SIGNET CLASSIC 1st EDITION 1978
http://imageshack.us/a/img233/199/img346d.jpg

Robert Fulman
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I would be willing to call BS on that one. The book seems amateurish enough that the foreword might be lifted from some other source. My main evidence is that the CP page doesn't even show that the preface is copyrighted by Stephen King. It simply says "Copyright 2011 - Bram Stoker", which is an unlikely claim.

you ever seen a ghost?
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
was talking about this with a collector last year: the thing about King's preface is that the grammar and editing is weird. Almost as if it were cobbled together. It doesn't even look like it is really him. Even the formatting on the page looks funny.

-justin

mae
04-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Are you saying it's illegitimate? It has King's name on the cover, so it can't be just faked, they'd get into trouble, and the book's been out for over a year.

CyberGhostface
04-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Is this edition of Dracula different from any other edition out there (besides the introduction from King, of course)?

sgc1999
04-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Besides, the main character "sucks"! :)

Brainslinger
04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Only with the help of such noted characters as Professor Van Helsing, John Seward, Arthur Holmwood, and Quincey Morris does good prevail over evil.

I find it interesting that King (if it was King) lists John Seward before Arthur Holmwood and Quincey Morris. There may be nothing in it, but I certainly found Seward the most interesting out of those three characters. In fact Holmwood really irritated me. (So did Jonathan Harker later in the novel. I enjoyed his part at the start.)

It's a good book all in all though, and it scared me in places too. Again, mostly the scenes in the first section based on Harker's journal in the Carpathians.

Coincidentally, I'm reading another Victorian era Vampire story: Varney the Vampire.*

Unlike Bram Stoker's epic story, ol' Varney tends to be criticised for being, well, not very good. It does come across rather corny in places, particularly the dialogue between characters, and it's certainly not as scary as Dracula. I'm rather enjoying it though. The characters are rather posh and a bit pompous. The Admiral is a good comedic character though.

Despite enjoying it, I'm hoping to finish it soon as I want to move onto a certain new Dark Tower novel. (I prefer not to read two novels a the same time. Unless one is of the graphic variety.)

*Considering the spelling within the title should actually be spelt: 'Varney the Vampyre'.