PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the Dragon adaptation in development

herbertwest
04-24-2012, 06:49 AM
"Stephen King's 'Eyes of the Dragon' in development at Syfy -- EXCLUSIVE"

http://ow.ly/au0Am

ICry4Oy
04-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh dear. This could be really good (think Tinman) or really really bad (Sharktopus).

Ben Staad
04-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Very interesting. I would have preferred someone other then Syfy taken this on however it should be interesting.

Ari_Racing
04-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Good news! Thanks for sharing, J!

DanishCollector
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
About time, and I can introduce my niece to the world of Stephen King now, hehe...she likes Harry Potter, obviously, but don't like books...yet

CyberGhostface
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Would have liked to see this as a major motion picture...the book's not that long that it really warrants a miniseries and Bag of Bones has made me weary about King TV movies.

Bev Vincent
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
There was an awesome CGI dragon on last night's Eureka, also on SyFy.

Ben Staad
04-25-2012, 04:13 AM
There was an awesome CGI dragon on last night's Eureka, also on SyFy.

Really? In my SyFy experience the CGI effects have been pretty lackluster. I'm not arguing with you BTW. :)

Bev Vincent
04-25-2012, 04:58 AM
No, I agree. That's why I thought it noteworthy. This dragon did stuff. Flew between trees. It looked very good. I was impressed. Eureka generally has a lot of good SFX but this was impressive on a TV budget for a canceled series.

Bev Vincent
05-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Stephen King’s ‘The Eyes Of The Dragon’ In Works At Hulu & Fox 21 (https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-eyes-of-the-dragon-hulu-fox21-game-of-thrones-seth-grahame-smith-1202601500/)

Jon
05-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Cool!! Thanks for the info! This is GREAT news!

CyberGhostface
05-18-2019, 03:23 PM
Glad to see it happening. I remember a long long time ago they were talking about doing this as an animated film which might have been nice.

kingfan2323
05-18-2019, 04:21 PM
One of my favorite, lesser talked about King novels. Looking forward to giving them as gifts to my niece and nephews!

Bev Vincent
09-09-2020, 08:16 AM
‘The Eyes of the Dragon’ No Longer Happening at Hulu (https://www.slashfilm.com/eyes-of-the-dragon-tv-series-update/)

Back in 2019, we learned that Hulu was moving forward with an Eyes of the Dragon TV series, based on the Stephen King fantasy novel of the same name. Seth Grahame-Smith, who served as producer on the two It films, was set as showrunner, and the general consensus was that this was a chance for Hulu to have their own Game of Thrones-like series. Since the announcement, we’ve heard very little about the show – and there’s a good reason for that: it’s no longer happening.

While appearing on The Kingcast, Seth Grahame-Smith revealed that The Eyes of the Dragon TV series is officially dead on Hulu. According to Grahme-Smith, the show’s collapse was due to both budget and some behind-the-scenes changes of Hulu execs.

Published in 1984, The Eyes of the Dragon was a change of pace for Stephen King. Rather than dealing with very adult horror, the book is a fantasy tale of kings and dragons, and is aimed at a younger audience (King claimed it originated as a bedtime story for his kids).

The Eyes of the Dragon is set in the kingdom of Delan, and deals with two brothers, Peter and Thomas, sons of King Roland. Peter is the more well-liked of the boys, and, as the oldest, he’s also destined to inherit the throne. But the king’s evil magician, Flagg, comes up with a scheme where he manipulates the insecure Thomas. Flagg kills Roland and frames Peter for the crime, resulting in Peter being locked up in a tower and Thomas taking over as king – where he can then be manipulated by Flagg even more.

The book has direct connections to King’s Dark Tower series, and also The Stand – the Flagg here is the same Flagg that pops-up in that apocalyptic tale. Had the Hulu series gone foward, Grahame-Smith says the plan was for the first season to adapt the entire book, and then for subsequent seasons to continue the story.

In the same interview, Grahame-Smith talks about wanting Sam Rockwell to play Flagg, and also reaching out to Alan Cumming to narrate the series. But now none of that will happen. Whether or not someone else comes along now to scoop up the rights and adapt this into a TV series is anyone’s guess. Back when Game of Thrones was on the air, an Eyes of the Dragon TV series felt like a no-brainer. But now, I’m not so sure. I feel like the ho-hum final season of Thrones has soured people on this sort of stuff for a while – although HBO is still moving forward with spin-offs. Maybe if those Thrones spin-offs succeed, Eyes of the Dragon will get a second chance.

CyberGhostface
09-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Damn it Sam Rockwell would have been great.

Edit: So I listened to it. One big thing is that Flagg wouldn’t be Flagg because Sony owns the rights to the character.

In regards to the idea that only the first season would be adapting the book and future seasons would be what happens after. On one hand it’s interesting in that King only teased it. On the other I’m kind of hesitant after Robin Furth and the comics to see other people trying to build on King’s mythology.

Hunchback Jack
09-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Damn it Sam Rockwell would have been great.

Edit: So I listened to it. One big thing is that Flagg wouldn’t be Flagg because Sony owns the rights to the character.

In regards to the idea that only the first season would be adapting the book and future seasons would be what happens after. On one hand it’s interesting in that King only teased it. On the other I’m kind of hesitant after Robin Furth and the comics to see other people trying to build on King’s mythology.

Agreed, but then I consider such adaptations as almost wholly separate things - works inspired by King, or variations on a theme. So they can go their own way and I can still enjoy them - or not - for what they are.

HBJ