PDA

View Full Version : Recommended King audiobooks?

CyberGhostface
04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Just wondering which audiobooks of King you think are the best?

I've listened to a little of Steven Weber's rendition of It and he does a really good job from what I've heard so far.

Also listened to some of King's short stories narrated by King himself and I think his voice works pretty well.

jhanic
04-22-2012, 03:27 AM
For me, Dolores Claiborne, read by Frances Sternhagen, is a TRUE classic!

John

BigSchu22
04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Insomnia narrated by Eli Wallach was amazing, great choice considering the characters in the novel.
Hearts in Atlantis narrated by William Hurt and Stephen King. Pretty good, except William Hurt seems to stutter or pause over his lines sometimes.
Any of the George Guidall and Frank Muller DT books. Although, I get annoyed by Frank Muller's over dramatics sometimes. Frank Muller's accents for some of the characters are pretty good though.
Desperation narrated by Kathy Bates was also excellent.

Brice
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
The ZBS version of The Mist. :D

BigSchu22
04-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Is that the audio play version of The Mist?

mtdman
04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Frank Mueller is awesome as the narrator for the dt series, 1-4. He does Talisman and Black House too. Simply awesome.

Stay away from Under the Dome. Unless you like to hear every character in a fictional Maine town talk with a surfer dude accent. Worst audiobook narration I've ever listened to.

The dude that does the audio for Salem's Lot is pretty good too. That was one of my first King audio books and his narration hooked me.

Ben Mears
04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Ron McLarty narrated both 'Salem's Lot & Blaze and did an excellent job. Frank Muller does a nice job on Different Seasons and I agree with John on Dolores Claiborne as well.

BigSchu22
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I like Frank Mueller, but sometimes he's just too dramatic and breathy for me. His range of voices for different characters is amazing though. I enjoyed his Talisman/Blackhouse reading as well, but it was strange to hear some of the same voices from DT being used in Talisman/Balckhouse, but you get used to it. I think he does Regulators as well.

mikeC
04-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Frank Mueller's reading of the Breathing Method is one of the best listening experiences I've ever had. It makes the story even better.

Anything Steve reads is always the best though. If you never had any interest in reading On Writing, the audio version is awesome.

The guy that reads Under the Dome should be banned from reading audiobooks and should probably send me a refund.

Brice
04-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Is that the audio play version of The Mist?

It is. The record and cassette done by ZBS (which were the original source) are pretty rare. Two of us collectors have both and I've seen or heard of only a couple copies. The original albums have better sound quality, imo. It sounds so real.

Of course my favorite audios are anything King reads himself. It's like he's sitting down with you to tell you a story. :D

mtdman
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Frank Mueller's reading of the Breathing Method is one of the best listening experiences I've ever had. It makes the story even better.

Anything Steve reads is always the best though. If you never had any interest in reading On Writing, the audio version is awesome.

The guy that reads Under the Dome should be banned from reading audiobooks and should probably send me a refund.

Thank you. I wanted to hunt that dude down and smack him after that book. Someday I'll have to read that book with my eyes to see if I like it any better.

BigSchu22
04-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I listened to the audo verson of Under the Dome as well, but I'm having trouble remembering if the reader was annoying or not. I do remember getting really annoyed with some of the characters though. :)

EXPLORER
04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
All my favorites are ones read by Mr King himself. "On Writing" was very interesting in his voice. The DT books also feel best in his voice.

Brice
04-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I want him to read the rest of them. I know...never gonna' happen. :(

mtdman
04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I wasn't very fond of his rendition of Wind. IMO his voice isn't suited for all his works. I dig him reading the stories set in Maine, with his new england/maine accent. But it doesn't translate well to something like a DT book. Had he read Under the Dome I may have enjoyed it much more.

EXPLORER
04-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Having heard him on several occasions reading at various venues I imagine part of the enjoyment I get from the audiobooks he reads himself comes from a nastalgia of or reminder of the in person events. I must say I think my favorite live reading of his is "The Revenge of Lard Ass Hogan" from the story The Body

mikeC
04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
I was really bummed he didn't read Danse Macabre when it came out recently, I mean it's basically him talking about stuff, why would someone else read it?