PDA

View Full Version : Not to nitpick, but...

CyberGhostface
04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
...anyone know why Furth is having the Man in Black/Walter look like Marten? Throughout the DT comics he's shown as shifting into Walter, so I'm a bit confused as to why he's in Marten mode during his scenes in the Gunslinger. He should have abandoned the Marten persona at this point. The comics seem to have dropped the point of Roland believing that the two are separate people.

Not a huge complaint given that I'm not a fan of how old and decrepit they made Walter look, but...

Brainslinger
04-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd say it's more the Artist's decision than Furth's. As one of the writers (and the first in a line of two for that matter, bearing in mind someone else actually takes her outline and puts it in script form) I'm not sure how much say she has in the look of characters and the art in general. I don't disagree concerning the portrayal of Walter though.

I haven't read the latest DT comics but I remember in the earlier ones Marten's form seemed to be the default shape. It's a good look, but, yeah, consistency with the books would be preferred.

Tik
04-22-2012, 05:49 AM
All I'd say is we should bear in mind that Walter/Flagg doesn't have a particular face for a particular name. It's clear from the books that he swaps them around whenever he wants.

For example, the Flagg of Eyes of the Dragon looks different to the Flagg of The Stand, and I dont mean clothes wise. Their faces are very different.

The Flagg of Wizard and Glass looks like Marten if Roland is to be believed.

The Walter of Roland's younger years in Gilead is a bald monk. Yet by the time of their palavar, Walter's face is different, even having a full head of hair.

The comics at this point also have Roland thinking of whether Marten and Walter are half-brothers so he still views them as separate people at this point. Remember, despite what the readers have seen, Roland hasn't seen Walter's face yet so he doesn't know he's wearing Marten's face. So long as Walter loses the Marten facial hair by the time of the palavar, there's nothing to nitpick.