PDA

View Full Version : Apt Pupil (aborted movie) 1987

herbertwest
11-30-2007, 04:06 AM
There is no "Movie" board, so I post it in here.
Even if i know that most of the people in here, already were in tdt.net and nbody had anything...

From the Stephen Jones' book "CREEPSHOWS : the illustrated SK movie guide" I did learn that in 1987 there were an attempt to direct a movie based upon Stephen KING's Apt Pupil.

The movie was done at 3/4, but because of budget restrictions, the project had to be aborted.
However, still according to the same book, some "screening tapes" were circulating in a festival by 1987-1988...
Nobody here do own one, or heard of one?

I dont have the book with me, so cannot quote the book, but there is some interesting informations inside.
IMDB do only say so :
"The first attempt to film this story, in 1987, ran over budget and was stopped after six weeks of shooting while it remains only ten days of filming. According to Stephen King, who saw a rough cut of 3/4 of the movie, "it was really good". It starred Rick Schroder and Nicol Williamson, and was directed by Alan Bridges."

On the internet, the informations about this aborted projects are really rare, and I never found any information about those screening tapes....

Ari_Racing
11-30-2007, 05:35 AM
I've been trying to find something about this movie, but so far it was impossible.

Storyslinger
11-30-2007, 06:14 AM
I was under the impression that the movie went through with filming, because we have a copy of it at our local movie rental spot

Darkthoughts
11-30-2007, 06:22 AM
I think that's the 1998 version with Ian McKellan and Brad Renfro ;)

Storyslinger
11-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Yep, I just look, that was it :doh:

Room 217 Caretaker
11-30-2007, 06:33 AM
This might help:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118636/

mulleins
Cumberland VA

herbertwest
11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
No.
Am talking about the ABORTED movie from 1987 (which isnt on imdb).

It seems (according to Stephen Jones) that there would be some screening tapes that were distributed in a festival...
Would be great if we could find one, and save the content before the tape gets fucked up... :'(

I dont have the Creepshows book with me, so cannot quote the content... :s

Randall Flagg
11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
At this point you seem to have as much information on the aborted movie as I can find. I am sure whatever was filmed is stored somewhere, but will probably not see the light of day.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
No.
Am talking about the ABORTED movie from 1987 (which isnt on imdb).

It seems (according to Stephen Jones) that there would be some screening tapes that were distributed in a festival...
Would be great if we could find one, and save the content before the tape gets fucked up... :'(

I dont have the Creepshows book with me, so cannot quote the content... :s

OH........:panic: I understand. Your talking about this one:

"directed by Alan Bridges, starring Nicol Williamson and Ricky Schroeder, according to notes the movie financially collapsed three-quarters of the way through shooting."

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

herbertwest
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
At this point you seem to have as much information on the aborted movie as I can find. I am sure whatever was filmed is stored somewhere, but will probably not see the light of day.

yep, except that seems to be some screening tapes somewhere in the world..
(if not destroyed... or damaged..)

just in case some of big collectors around here owned one... :s
never know, sometimes there are surprising stuff...

***hope***

Randall Flagg
11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Cross your fingers, but do not hold your breath!

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Sadly, Brad Renfro who portrayed Todd Bowden in the film Apt Pupil died January 15, 2008.

Renfro was found dead on January 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_15), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) in his Los Angeles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles%2C_California) apartment, after he had reportedly spent the previous night drinking with friends. The cause of death has yet to be determined

Ari_Racing
01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeap...the 3rd in King's movies that left the building being too young.
River Phoenix (Stand by me), Jonnathan Brandis (IT) and Brad Renfro now.

:(