PDA

View Full Version : The Wolves - did you have any guess?

Letti
11-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Had you had any idea who or what they were before it turned out?

It was quite a long time ago when I read it but I think I was quite lost and I didn't have any ideas.. just some faint ones maybe.
What about you?

ManOfWesternesse
11-30-2007, 05:44 AM
No, first time I read it I had no idea what was coming. In the back of my head I think I picured them as human (not wolves, not robots, not Taheen etc...) - maybe even half-afraid they were more failed Gunslingers or something (or at least led by same).

Storyslinger
11-30-2007, 06:11 AM
From the start, I had no clue that they were, well, what they were. I also figured that they would be on the lines of a human, or perhaps, something from beyond the Prim?

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 06:15 AM
I definitely had no clue, this was one of the things I loved about this book, the mystery behind them.

Storyslinger
11-30-2007, 06:16 AM
I agree, the whole book was mystery til the last few chapters. I think it is King's best suspenseful novel

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
So much was left a mystery at the end of it though. Talk about a cliff hanger ending.

Storyslinger
11-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, it did rank up there with Wastelands when it came to endings, good thing there wasn't that long of a wait

Erin
11-30-2007, 07:42 AM
I too had no idea what the wolves were. I loved when I found out they resembeled Dr. Doom. :lol:

Stephen King is great. :wub:

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah, and don't forget the lightsabers! I thought that was a great addition. Doctor Doom wolf robots with lightsabers that collect children every 20 or 30 years...warms the cockles of my heart.

Erin
11-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Ahh mine too. That idea alone qualifies Mr. King for a god status in my eyes.

Letti
11-30-2007, 07:48 AM
No, first time I read it I had no idea what was coming. In the back of my head I think I picured them as human (not wolves, not robots, not Taheen etc...) - maybe even half-afraid they were more failed Gunslingers or something (or at least led by same).
Failed gunslingers..? How interesting.

In the back of my head they were some kind of evil animals who served the darkness... or something.

Hannah
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I had absolutely no idea.

Kevin
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
When I first heard the word 'Wolves' I instantly thought of something like Shardik.

Jimmy
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
When waiting in line to buy Wolves I flipped it open and saw the picture of them and thought, "Holy crap that's Dr. Doom with a lightsaber! WTF?"

I was hoping that they were a pack of werewolves from Thunderclap.

Daghain
11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
I thought they were going to be human initially, then about halfway through I figured it out.

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought they were going to be human initially, then about halfway through I figured it out.

Thats because you're so samrt.

Daghain
11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Samrt? :lol:

Letti
11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Samrt? :lol:

So she can be samrt and I cannot... :angry: *gets jealous*

Daghain
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
:lol:

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 11:19 AM
So she can be samrt and I cannot... :angry: *gets jealous*

Hey, thats how I roll girlie.

Sai_Rhavan
11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
To be quite honest, I figured them to be some mutated zombies. The whole "Steal children's brains and nourish from them" seemed too suspicious for me. I still didn't know what breakers were-first time through I missed that part, I suppose.

Jean
11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I remember that I thought they were robots rather early, there was some clue I can't remember now (I'll try tomorrow). Though, in all likelyhood, when I say "early" it might be the same place in text at which everybody guessed.

EDITED: yes. I found that quote. As I expected, it was when everyone else must have guessed, too - when Eddie talks to Gran-pere.

Eddie Dean's eyes widened. His first thought was that he now understood about the horses—all the gray horses. His second was Of course. It makes perfect sense. We should have known.

Robots were the only thing I could think of that fit that reaction, both logically and emotionally. There just was nothing more left among the main concepts of human, quasi-human and mythological beings that would have produced this kind of answer from Eddie (given all his previous experience of the quest, with its recurrent mad technology motif), and explain the horses at the same time.

Wuducynn
11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
For me I didn't spend time trying to figure things out I just let the story take me and so when it finally got to the spot where we found out what they are, then it was a surprise. Personally, I don't enjoy figuring out mysteries before the story leads you to it.

Matt
11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I just remember thinking how odd the green cloak's were, I'd like to think I had a twinkling of Dr. Doom at that point, so maybe I thought people in armor.

The horses being robots as well was a total curve to me though. :lol:

Jean
12-01-2007, 12:16 AM
For me I didn't spend time trying to figure things out I just let the story take me and so when it finally got to the spot where we found out what they are, then it was a surprise. Personally, I don't enjoy figuring out mysteries before the story leads you to it.
quite. I wasn't trying to solve it, but it kinda solved itself when the solution became obvious.

Sinistar
12-02-2007, 11:46 AM

That's funny! When I first read it I thought the exact same thing about more failed gunslingers.

Totally caught off guard...

Spencer
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM

It was quite a long time ago when I read it but I think I was quite lost and I didn't have any ideas.. just some faint ones maybe.
What about you?

As soon as they mentioned something about the hoods, I knew.

EddieOfNewYork
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah, the green hoods and robot body gave it away. i'm a fantastic four fiend too so i thought it was great :)

Matt
12-04-2007, 07:35 AM

That's funny! When I first read it I thought the exact same thing about more failed gunslingers.

Totally caught off guard...

I think failed Gunslingers may have been a lot cooler. :shoot:

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I think robot wolves in Dr Doom cloaks were pretty damn cool. Especially wielding light sabers and sneetchs.

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Sure, cool--but not failed Gunslingers cool. :lol:

Divided Girl
12-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I was really confused about it. And upset too, because I kept thinking... wait... is he really not saying what they are or did I just miss something?. So I kept having to go back and reread passages and I was pretty annoyed with myself when I figured out that he wasn't going to tell us right away.

The green cloaks that were described reminded me of something comic related, but I couldn't put my finger on it. For one thing I refused to. The connection with the Tower and comics was completely crossed out in my mind. Mostly because I'm a huge fan of comics and I feel isolated about it so I figure why make that connection just to be let down. So in my mind I kinda just X-ed that out.

I'm still baffled by it right now and in denial. I want to see them with my own eyes. I never ached to have complete visual of a story then at the moment when they were revealed.

jayson
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I had it at Roland's repetition of the description of the Wolves' horses as "all the same, all grey." :shoot:

NeedfulKings
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I didn't dwell on it too much, so likely found out when King made it real obvious with the stuffy guy target practice. Great twist!!!!!!!!! :D

Letti
12-19-2007, 10:18 AM

What about you?

As soon as they mentioned something about the hoods, I knew.

Wow... :scared:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't understand what about the hoods gave it away?

jayson
12-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Well duh! The hoods keep the rain off their heads so they don't get electrocuted. lol :shoot:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 10:58 AM
*smacks forehead* WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THAT!?!?

Letti
12-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Well duh! The hoods keep the rain off their heads so they don't get electrocuted. lol :shoot:

Yeah, and we all know that part of the world gets lots of rain... :D

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, and we all know that part of the world gets lots of rain... :D

You say true. I don't think being a weatherman in Thunderclap is a particularly difficult job.

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I seriously don't understand why the hoods were such big giveaways to folks. The grey horses I get, but not that.

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
You say true. I don't think being a weatherman in Thunderclap is a particularly difficult job.

Yes. Forecasts go like this "dark out today with the thunder and the next day and the next day etc, news at 11"

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I seriously don't understand why the hoods were such big giveaways to folks. The grey horses I get, but not that.

I don't know either. I guess as soon as some people thought "Dr. Doom" they were able to leap right to robots from there? I'm not that big of a comic book geek, so I couldn't make that jump. All grey, that I kennit.

TerribleT
12-19-2007, 11:08 AM

Yes, why did the hoods give it away?

Dud-a-chum?
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM

Damn, that would have been a much better conclusion to the story, lol.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Damn, that would have been a much better conclusion to the story, lol.

I don't agree. Also, I think there is more to the Wolves than we know..some allusions to that in the books. I hope we get some background on them in The Road Home.. :harrier:

Valkyrie
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I remember thinking that the horses were probably robotic, because they kept making a point of how they were all the exact same shade of gray. But even having made that leap, I still didn't guess that the wolves were!

obscurejude
01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I can honestly say that I did not expect that the wolves would have lightsabers and sneetches. Some of you know that I think that was a mistake on King's part. Anyways... that was the most surprising (and unfortunate) thing for me.

TerribleT
01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I can honestly say that I did not expect that the wolves would have lightsabers and sneetches. Some of you know that I think that was a mistake on King's part. Anyways... that was the most surprising (and unfortunate) thing for me.

See, I thought that was kinda kewl, and it kinda gets back to the worlds all bleeding over into eachother.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
See, I thought that was kinda kewl, and it kinda gets back to the worlds all bleeding over into eachother.

Same here. It also makes me wonder if whomever built the Wolves might have gleaned the ideas for them from the minds of the Breakers.

obscurejude
01-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Terrible T. I explain that comment fully in this thread. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1316&highlight=obscurejude

I didn't want to get us sidetracked.

jayson
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Same here. It also makes me wonder if whomever built the Wolves might have gleaned the ideas for them from the minds of the Breakers.

Agree with both of you. Especially like the idea that the Breakers may have inadvertantly contributed to the weaponry/technology.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 05:00 PM
It makes sense, especially with the mind-connection technology they had access to. :harrier:

jayson
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
it does make perfect sense.

obscurejude
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
If sense was perfect it wouldn't have to be made, rather it would be an entity in and of itself with its own constituency.

Ka-tet
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
I had absolutely no idea whatsoever, i remember(in one of my weaker moments) asking on .net what they were. Noone would tell me ><

Mark
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Initially, i thought the wolves looked like...

http://digitalmonsters.free.fr/images/saison_un/digimon/weregarurumon.gif

Then i read about the cloaks and Dr. Doom (the one from the spiderman TV show, i don't like fantastic four) came to mind

Letti
02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I had absolutely no idea whatsoever, i remember(in one of my weaker moments) asking on .net what they were. Noone would tell me ><

In this case you are lucky. Noone ruined your joy.

For me it's not frightening but funny... scary wolves with painted pink nails? *smiles widely*

Ka-tet
02-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Letti said

In this case you are lucky. Noone ruined your joy.

I agree :D

Wuducynn
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM

Then i read about the cloaks and Dr. Doom (the one from the spiderman TV show, i don't like fantastic four) came to mind

The purple nails are the key to making it a SK like character...

MonteGss
02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Pretty fingernail polish! How cute! :lol:

After reading the title of the book, I pictured a man type "werewolf" I guess but once I actually started to read it (even before their descriptions) I pictured them differently.

HanzouNorak
02-26-2008, 07:23 PM
i guessed it from when i saw a picture of a wolf in my edition of WOTC.
when they said zombies i was utterly confused until it was confirmed it was a fake plot. i didn't expect the satalit dishes though.

Wuducynn
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Something Susannah said I believe, that I don't have the quote in front of me, maybe someone else could find it, made me think they might have more than just pure robots. Does anyone else remember that quote?

Mark
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
The grand-pere or whoever it was whispered 19 words to Eddie, anyone know what the words were? i think i missed it xD

Wuducynn
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Very cute. I guess that means you don't know the answer to my question.

/k/ommando
04-16-2008, 06:12 PM
i guessed it from when i saw a picture of a wolf in my edition of WOTC.
when they said zombies i was utterly confused until it was confirmed it was a fake plot. i didn't expect the satalit dishes though.

I too, thought that the wolves were "zombis". It was the whole "BRAINS" issue that mase me think that. Also the mention of vampires in Thunderclap led me that direction as well. When I found out that they were robots I was like :beat:?

Brainslinger
04-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I remember when I first read about the wolves before actually reading the book, I wondered if the wolves were that same species from the Talisman. Especially taking into account the connection with Black House.

Of course when I actually started reading the book and they were described as "human shaped, wearing masks" (or somesuch) I didn't have much of an idea of what they were.

I think I guessed later on in the story though. It might have been Eddie's conversation with Grand-pere or his informing Roland later.

Whilst I thought they were pretty cool, it kind of struck me as a little convenient that they were all of the kind with 'think caps' on their head though. Imagine if they'd all been of that other robot type? I forget his name now, but the one who ended up in the Rosa's outside loo.

I suppose it does make some sense to have a specialized group of robots like that with a central control unit elsewhere though. I'm assuming that's what the think cap was for, like a radio attenae or radar dish.

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I suppose it does make some sense to have a specialized group of robots like that with a central control unit elsewhere though. I'm assuming that's what the think cap was for, like a radio attenae or radar dish.

This is what I thought also. They're not about doing a lot of independent work like Andy was, but as working as a unit, scaring the folken of the various Calla's shitless, collecting babies and slaughtering the odd person that got up some gumption and making an example of them.

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
When I first read the title of WotC I totally thought they were a ravage pack of wolves that were smart enough to out think and smart Roland and Ka-tet then I started reading about their initial description about the human form with a mask and then I thought about werewolves. However, when Roland said they were Zombies to the Calla folken i knew at once that he was messing with them in which at the point I actually put the book down and thought about robots for a moment.

Brainslinger
07-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't think it's worth creating a new thread for this, and it is related to the subject matter....

I came across this (http://www.empireonline.com/50greatestcomiccharacters/default.asp?c=25) today. It's an entry in Empire's list of favourite comicbook characters. Just look at the "Did you know?" section.

Whilst part of me feels a thrill that they include that nugget I don't think it was such a great idea considering some people reading that list might not have read the book yet. They do give a spoiler warning mind you, but even so...

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 05:16 PM
okay, i just said this in the wolves q&a - i had no clue they were robots until the reveal. then i felt really stupid and was like "damn, i should have guessed! i should have known!"

as for the blurb on that web site - the least they could do is put that little spoiler alert notice in bold or something. or hide the text behind a spoiler button.

Letti
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I knew what they were long before Roland and the rest figured it out.
Was kind of obvious.

How was it so obvious for you? I am interested in it because most of the people had no idea about it.
So may we get some details?

The Lady of Shadows
07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I knew what they were long before Roland and the rest figured it out.
Was kind of obvious.

How was it so obvious for you? I am interested in it because most of the people had no idea about it.
So may we get some details?

hate to be a postwhore here, but i'm hitching a ride on the "me too train". i'm with letti on this one alex. i'd love some details please. thanks.

Brainslinger
07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Just from the way they described them.
I was already guessing they were robots
before Roland and co. even got to town.

I think I had an inkling before the final reveal (I think there was a bit when Eddie tells Roland the old man's story, and he says "Of course!", or "Gods yes!", words to that effect anyway, which) but I wouldn't have guessed that early!

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I knew when what they were when I read the teaser of the prologue online before the book was published.

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
It was pretty obvious, wasn't it?

I was just joking, Alex, about that, but I felt it was pretty obvious. I knew pretty early on. Lightsabers surprised me, sneetches surprised me, both in very negative ways as I have elaborated elsewhere.

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I just thought you were quicker then everyone else!

You're wrong about that. :lol:

Sickrose
12-21-2009, 05:49 AM
I had no idea what the Wolves were and I am rereading it now and wonder how I could have missed it especially with Roland having the sisters throwthe plate at a raddish on top of a stuffy guy's head like the radar dishes.

I loved how we were kept guessing. I say we but I mean people like me who didint get it.

JameseyLefebure
12-29-2009, 05:36 AM
I can't believe people managed to figure it out!
I honestly had no idea at all - i kept thinking "i've missed something here" because Roland and the tet knew, but i just couldn't figure it out - i knew the zombi's part ws a redherring but I still couldn't figure out what they were - for some reason I kept thinking of vampires - suffice to say I was shocked to find out what they were.
If i'm being honest though - i didn't give it a load of thought as i was quite happily letting the story carry toward the (amazing) conclusion!! :) :)

Jamesey
xxx

arrawyn
05-15-2010, 09:14 PM
i JUST finished WotC, and i did have a inkling about what they were before it was said. and i kinda thought their light sticks sounded light-saberish, but not that they actually were. so i wasn't all that surprised when i found out what they were, because it did cross my mind but i still wasn't sure that thats what they were.

grobblewobble
08-15-2011, 11:27 AM
found out when King made it real obvious with the stuffy guy target practice. Great twist!!!!!!!!! :D

This is also the moment I finally understood: the radishes.

Well basically there were only four options to begin with: it had to be either ninjas, pirates, zombies or robots, hadn't it?