PDA

View Full Version : General Music Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ruki
05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
I know all Dylan by heart!

(well, all 60s-70s-early 80s Dylan, to be precise)

(and it's so wonderful - and rapidly getting so rare - to see him recognized)

jean - i don't know nearly enough of his songs but the ones i do know are beautiful, i've never run across one i don't like. he's really an amazing musician. i used to have a huge collection but they were all on the computer that attempted suicide, now i have next to nothing. i'd love to get back even half of what i've lost.

Oh! Just tell me what are the albums you had

if you don't mind having just MP3 instead of real albums, I believe we can make up for your loss very soon!

i didn't have many albums, or they weren't seperated into albums although i'm sure i had plenty of complete ones. nearly everything i had was stuff i downloaded. the only album i can say for sure i had everything from was dylan and the dead. i miss that one. and i miss one more cup of coffee, that song was awesome.

Jean
05-08-2007, 08:08 AM
ok! PM me your email, and I'll just be sending you stuff according to my own understanding of good and bad...

Ruki
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
he's really an amazing musician.
I'd agree he's a brilliant musician and one of the best songwriters ever however he shouldn't sing his own songs. :P Just personal opinion!
i really like his voice and the way he sings, it's very unique.

Ruki
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
ok! PM me your email, and I'll just be sending you stuff according to my own understanding of good and bad...

dylan = good :)

Jean
05-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Brice... try to imagine, say, A Simple Twist Of Fate sung in a conventional baritone...

Ruki
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
bah, i just realized that this really shoulda been moved to some other thread. it's not exactly a 2007 kinda conversation. oops.

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
done! :nana:

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Brice... try to imagine, say, A Simple Twist Of Fate sung in a conventional baritone...

I have heard that....I suppose it's all aestetics though...his voice just kinda' bothers me...I can listen to him in small doses.

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:21 AM
i really like his voice and the way he sings, it's very unique.

...and nasally. :P

Ruki
05-08-2007, 10:26 AM
...and nasally. :P

yes, and he pulls it off beautifully :)
it's not just his voice i'm talking about though, there's just something cool about his pronounciation and the way he times his words ... i don't know how to say it so i won't make any sense.

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:32 AM
it's not just his voice i'm talking about though, there's just something cool about his pronounciation and the way he times his words ... i don't know how to say it so i won't make any sense.

Nah, it makes sense. He kind of gets a way with the nasally "singing" because he has a damn good sense of poetry, and rhythym.

yes, and he pulls it off beautifully :)

...and this is why we have the expression 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' :P

Ruki
05-08-2007, 10:50 AM
i'll admit it did take some getting used to, i wasn't drawn to his music by his voice and i didn't like him much when i was younger but it didn't take me long to begin thinking that he's actually quite a good singer, just very different.

Erin
05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree Ruki, I think he's an amazing singer, it just takes some getting used to.

Jean
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I have heard that....I suppose it's all aestetics though...his voice just kinda' bothers me...I can listen to him in small doses.
it's like, you know... smoking

::nostalgic sigh::

smokers will understand

your first cigarette tasted awful... and then you started liking the process... and then you were hooked

Ruki
05-08-2007, 11:17 AM
that's a great way to say it :)

brice, you're outnumbered so far. if you don't start liking dylan we're gonna hold you down and tickle you all afternoon.

fernandito
05-08-2007, 11:27 AM

smokers will understand

your first cigarette tasted awful... and then you started liking the process... and then you were hooked

I couldn't have put it better myself.

(I really couldn't)

That Joking White Guy
05-08-2007, 11:27 AM
As far as music goes, Elliott Smith, none better.

I mention him all the time, I actually got punched yesterday by friends for suggesting him to a guy I know. :lol:

Bethany
05-08-2007, 11:48 AM
that's a great way to say it :)

brice, you're outnumbered so far. if you don't start liking dylan we're gonna hold you down and tickle you all afternoon.

Brice, you can throw my indifference in with your dislike of Dylan and we will stand against the world together.

Ruki
05-08-2007, 11:49 AM
As far as music goes, Elliott Smith, none better.

i don't know if i've ever heard of him. could you name a song or two i might recognize?

Matt
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
His song is on the Keiser Premente commercial.

with the guy, that needs to exercise more?

"thrive"

towerguard
05-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Jean, do you have Dylan doing Black Jack Davey?

That Joking White Guy
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Ruki,

Have you ever seen "Good Will Hunting", he supplies some of the songs for the soundtrack. "Miss Misery" and "Between The Bars", both are great songs.

One of his songs was also in "The Royal Tenenbaums". The song plays in the scene where Luke Wilson's character attempts suicide, that song is "Needle In The Hay" .

If you have limewire or a similar file sharing program I would suggest getting the songs I already put up and
*True Love
*The White Lady Loves You More
*Roman Candle
*Waltz Number #2
and really most of his songs. Don't trust my judgment though, I'm a big fan so I'm biased.

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Brice, you can throw my indifference in with your dislike of Dylan and we will stand against the world together.

*stands bravely in defiance of the Dylan lovers*

Erin
05-08-2007, 10:07 PM
This discussion reminds me of a skit on Saturday Night Live where David Spade is dressed up as Tom Petty and someone else (I can't remember who) is dressed as Bob Dylan. They are talking to each other and you can't understand a word either is saying. :lol:

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM

smokers will understand

I am a smoker. :lol: I have been smoking 2 plus packs for about nineteen years.

I do have a mild appreciation for some of his stuff but, as I said before I can only listen to him in small doses. As I also said before though he's one of the most brilliant damn songwriters ever.

Erin
05-08-2007, 10:20 PM

I do have a mild appreciation for some of his stuff but, as I said before I can only listen to him in small doses. As I also said before though he's one of the most brilliant damn songwriters ever.

OMG! 19!

:P

Brice
05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
:lol:

ZoNeSeeK
05-08-2007, 11:57 PM
What a perfect year to quit, hey? :)

Ive just past my 8th month and in hindsight it was alot easier than you think it will be.

Brice
05-09-2007, 04:36 AM
I have no doubt at all that's true Josh if you have any desire at all to quit. I do not however.

Ruki
05-09-2007, 04:59 AM
i don't really want to quit, i want to smoke cigarettes that are good for me and make the pain in my chest and the burning in my throat go away.

Brice
05-09-2007, 05:03 AM
I think you might have a problem finding a brand that does all that. :lol:

johnny
05-09-2007, 05:10 AM
I dunno man, those 'funny' ciggs have never been tied directly to lung cancer and have shown to actually help repair lung cells in a few studies ;)

Brice
05-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Oh, I know Johnny! You know I'm all for full legalization of those (and everything else) personally. I do kinda' believe that there are some health risks of lighting anything on fire and breathing in the smoke from it though.

Jean
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Jean, do you have Dylan doing Black Jack Davey?

of course! Do you? If not, I can send you MP3.

Jean
05-09-2007, 07:11 AM

I smoked for 27 years, heavily (chain-smoked last ten years), and quit four months ago.

That accounts for accumulating weirdness of my behavior...

And now, please, can this discussion get back to music?

Erin
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
I've been listening to Bob Marley all morning. It's great.

Brice
05-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Now, Marley's I gotta' agree is some beautiful music.

OchrisO
05-09-2007, 07:31 AM
My favorite Beastie Boys line is:

Bob Marley Was A Prophet For The Freedom Fight
"If Dancin' Prays To The Lord Then I Shall Feel Alright"

towerguard
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
of course! Do you? If not, I can send you MP3.

No I don't have it, I neeed it!!!

Jean
05-10-2007, 12:13 AM
No I don't have it, I neeed it!!!

PM me your email address, and you'll have it before you know what hit you.

towerguard
05-10-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks alot, man...
I've been all over the place trying to find the album it's on, but they don't have it anywhere!

Jean
05-10-2007, 05:42 AM
to the attention of everyone who loves Dylan:

I currently have most of his main albums in MP3 format. I can sent you any song you like, or any album, provided I have it. Just PM me your emails and what you would like to get. I don't promise to do that immediately, but believe me, the pleasure will be all mine.

The same for those who, contrary to all expectations, happen to love French chanson (Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel, Georges Brassens, Salvatore Adamo, Charles Aznavour etc etc etc)

johnny
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I smoked for 27 years, heavily (chain-smoked last ten years), and quit four months ago.

That accounts for accumulating weirdness of my behavior...

And now, please, can this discussion get back to music?

lol where would music be without ciggs and other forms of smoking?

just to make this post relevant :rolleyes:

the new Sage Francis album, Human the Death Dance should arrive any day. I am psyched!!!

towerguard
05-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm listening to The Runaways, and I think I should stop. It's...doin' things.

Telynn
05-18-2007, 09:05 PM
This discussion reminds me of a skit on Saturday Night Live where David Spade is dressed up as Tom Petty and someone else (I can't remember who) is dressed as Bob Dylan. They are talking to each other and you can't understand a word either is saying. :lol:

THAT sounds really funny. I would love to see that. Kinda like that time John Belushi was doing Joe Cocker and the real Joe Cocker come out on stage with him. It was duo Cockers! Belushi had him nailed perfectly.

towerguard
05-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Love songs are how you feel when drunk but wont admit while sober

kithereal
05-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Listening to Tool / 10,000 Days
Kit

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Still loving the new Bjork album.

ZoNeSeeK
05-29-2007, 07:08 PM
David Spade does actually look like a slightly less munted version of Tom Petty.

Darkthoughts
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
All I Really Want To Do - is my favourite Dylan song.

Mary Jane's Last Dance - for Tom Petty (and The Heartbreakers).

I like a whole range of stuff from blues to rap to rock to classical to jazz...but all in all, Led Zeppelin are my gods!

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Just received my mass order of Dirty Projectors albums today!
1. The Graceful Fallen Mango
2. The Glad Fact
3. Slaves' Graves & Ballads
4. The Getty Address

Glad Fact is on special edition vinyl with bonus track, so I have to convert it to CD later tonight or over the weekend. Mango is under Dave Longstreth's name only and is all 4-track bedroom recordings--the entire album is wonderful intimate songs ranging from crooning tunes to hard rock songs. Slaves' Graves (tracks 1-7) is an orchestra playing behind Dave and his guitar. Those songs are all emotional and have unexpected textures. Ballads (8-14) is just the man and his guitar singing heartfelt songs about love, mystery, and green lights amongst other things--even more emotional than Slaves' Graves. And Getty Address is a masterpiece I've talked about before.

Also, the new Feist and Noisettes CDs are in rotation here. Both are pretty damn good.

So, here are albums worth buying:
-The Reminder, Feist
-What's The Time Mr. Wolf?, The Noisettes
-Volta [Deluxe w/DVD], Björk
-The Getty Address, Dirty Projectors

towerguard
06-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Greenday is pissing me off.
They covered Working Class Hero, I like the cover, I think is kicks ass.
But.
I just saw their video for it. Do they have any idea what that song is about? I am very upset about whats going on in Sudan too, Billy Joe, but Working Class Hero has nothing to do with it, nor is a it a good allusion to anything about Darfur. They totally fucked that song over with a stupid video, sure we need more awareness on the situation, but be FUCKING relevent!

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Attention all George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan fans!
A deluxe CD set with ALL RECORDED Traveling Wilburys material is coming out next Tuesday!!
There's a regular edition and a deluxe--based on the way it looks over at Amazon.com, the deluxe is a fucking sweet investment.

Jean
06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Attention all George Harrison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan fans!
A deluxe CD set with ALL RECORDED Traveling Wilburys material is coming out next Tuesday!!
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! that's another birthday present for me, even though I can't get it

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Jean, I'll be buying the deluxe edition on Tuesday. I'll send you a copy of everything later.

Jean
06-06-2007, 11:54 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

OchrisO
06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
But.
I just saw their video for it. Do they have any idea what that song is about? I am very upset about whats going on in Sudan too, Billy Joe, but Working Class Hero has nothing to do with it, nor is a it a good allusion to anything about Darfur. They totally fucked that song over with a stupid video, sure we need more awareness on the situation, but be FUCKING relevent!

Granted, the song is more about alienation and social status throughout life, but I'd say the line "Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see." has at least some relevance being that most people are so "doped up" on those things that they don't realize the stuff that it going on in the world, especially in places like Darfur. *shrug*

towerguard
06-07-2007, 04:37 AM
But.

Granted, the song is more about alienation and social status throughout life, but I'd say the line "Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, And you think you're so clever and classless and free, But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see." has at least some relevance being that most people are so "doped up" on those things that they don't realize the stuff that it going on in the world, especially in places like Darfur. *shrug*

Thats a bit of a stretch, but I could live with it. :lol:

OchrisO
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I dunno, Lennon was big on world issues, and while the Darfur mess wasn't prominent in his time, I think he was making reference to Americans being fed so much bullshit by the media that they think they are really free and they ignore social class and status as well as world issues while people all around them are being given the shit end of the stick so to speak.. Maybe I just have a different interpretation of the song, though. *shrug*

Frunobulax
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Cannot stand the cover version nor the video for that song. Musical horror.

towerguard
06-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I was at a Stevie Nicks concert a few hours ago..and wow. She is breathtaking, a goddess. They were really good seats, so we got a great view of the show. During the encore she covered Led Zeppelin's Rock'n'Roll..mmm..amazing. Landslide live, is almost tear-jerking, and Rhiannon. *sigh* I could have listen to her do it 3 or 4 more times, at least.

sarah
06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I just bought my White Stripes tickets today :rock: :dance:

towerguard
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Are they all on sale?

sarah
06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Event Date Venue Venue/State PreSale Status
6/24/2007 Deer Lake Park Burnaby,BC PreSale Closed
6/27/2007 Arctic Winter Games Arena Iqaluit,NU PreSale Closed
6/29/2007 Pengrowth Saddledome Calgary,AB PreSale Closed
6/30/2007 Shaw Conference Centre Edmonton,AB PreSale Closed
7/1/2007 TCU Place saskatoon,SK PreSale Closed
7/2/2007 MTS Centre Winnipeg,MB PreSale Closed
7/3/2007 Thunder Bay Community Auditorium Thunder Bay,ON PreSale Closed
7/5/2007 Molson Amphitheatre Toronto,ON PreSale Closed
7/6/2007 Bell Centre Montreal,QC PreSale Closed
7/7/2007 John Labatt Centre London,ON PreSale Closed
7/10/2007 Moncton Coliseum Moncton,NB PreSale Closed
7/11/2007 Charlottetown Civic Centre Charlottetown,PE PreSale Closed
7/13/2007 Cunard Centre Halifax,NS PreSale Closed
7/14/2007 Savoy Theatre Glace Bay,NS PreSale Closed
7/16/2007 Mile One Stadium St. John's,NL PreSale Closed
7/22/2007 Cumberland County Civic Center Portland,ME PreSale Closed
7/23/2007 Agganis Arena at Boston University Boston,MA PreSale Closed
7/24/2007 Madison Square Garden New York,NY PreSale Closed
7/25/2007 Chevrolet Theatre Wallingford,CT PreSale Closed
7/27/2007 Grand Opera House Wilmington,DE PreSale Closed
7/28/2007 George Mason University - Patriot Center Fairfax,VA PreSale Closed
7/29/2007 House of Blues - Myrtle Beach North Myrtle Beach,SC PreSale Closed
7/30/2007 Sloss Furnaces National History Landmark Birmingham,AL PreSale Closed
7/31/2007 Snowden Grove Amphitheater Southaven,MS PreSale Closed
9/21/2007 Greek Theatre Berkeley,CA PreSale Closed
9/24/2007 Egan Center ANCHORAGE,AK On Sale Now
9/26/2007 Paramount Theatre Seattle,WA On Sale Now
9/27/2007 Paramount Theatre Seattle,WA PreSale Closed
9/28/2007 Idaho Center Nampa,ID On Sale Now
9/29/2007 E Center West Valley City,UT PreSale Closed
9/30/2007 Snow King Amphitheater Jackson,WY On Sale Now
10/2/2007 Rushmore Plaza Civic Center Rapid City,SD On Sale Now
10/11/2007 Kiva Auditorium ALBUQUERQUE,NM On Sale No

Cutter
06-12-2007, 05:50 AM
There's a regular edition and a deluxe--based on the way it looks over at Amazon.com, the deluxe is a fucking sweet investment.
Sweet! I've been waiting for this for a while, heck it's about time these albums are back in stock.

Anyway, I've been listening to the new Paul McCartney album 'Memory Almost Full'. I like it, and it sounds like old Wings albums. But old Wings albums weren't always the most consistent records. The same is here it's inconsistent, but there is plenty of good that outweighs the bad. Overall it's a pretty good effort by Paul.

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I enjoyed Paul's new album, actually. My only problem is it feels like a side step from his last one.

gguthrie, I got lucky a few years ago and received an original near mint copy of Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 as a birthday gift from my aunt (she was working at the Wherehouse and found a copy). I was told that people who saw her with it were offering her in excess of $100 on the spot for the disc. I got lucky. :D

And now indie music report:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43575-cat-power-wins-shortlist-prize
VICTORY!

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Those bastards never seem to come to the UK :angry:

Cutter
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I enjoyed Paul's new album, actually. My only problem is it feels like a side step from his last one.

gguthrie, I got lucky a few years ago and received an original near mint copy of Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 as a birthday gift from my aunt (she was working at the Wherehouse and found a copy). I was told that people who saw her with it were offering her in excess of $100 on the spot for the disc. I got lucky. :D

And now indie music report:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/43575-cat-power-wins-shortlist-prize
VICTORY!

nice grab with the Wilburys!

Frunobulax
06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Ayuh.

I found a copy of the deluxe of the re-release set today at Best Buy. It's really nice--I suggest one try to find and buy it.

Darkthoughts
06-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know the band Smoke City? I really liked their song Underwater Love and was thinking of getting the album (released sometime in the 90's) but as its not available to order anymore I was going to have to go via ebay where the only copy I can find is going for over £10...is it worth it?

sarah
06-14-2007, 06:58 AM

Those bastards never seem to come to the UK :angry:

They are playing London tonight and Leeds tomorrow night.

She-Oy
06-14-2007, 07:06 AM
They are playing at this cool place when they come to Birmingham. It's Sloss Furnace and it's exactly that. An old furnace. I saw Rage Against the Machine there. Front row! Well if you can call them rows, really just a mass of people slamming around into each other!

sarah
06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Can't make it out to Bonnaroo this year? Thanks to AT&T, you can catch The
White Stripes’ complete performance Webcast LIVE from Bonnaroo on Sunday,
June 17th at 7:15 pm CST exclusively at attblueroom.com/music.

For access to The White Stripes’ live performance from Icky Thump Records on Wednesday, June 20th, log onto attblueroom.com/music, delivered to you exclusively by the AT&T blue room.

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
It just isn't the same.

Frunobulax
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Second Spin--great used CD store in Santa Monica. Bought:
1. Mars Audiac Quintet--Stereolab
2. Switched On--Stereolab
3. replacement copy of Loveless--My Bloody Valentine
4. either/or--Elliott Smith
5. hard copy of Chocolate and Cheese--Ween

She-Oy
06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
I came to this conclusion while riding in my car listening to the radio during lunch....Van Halen's "Jump" may very well just be the most pointless song EVER written.

I was singing along, singing along when it dawned on me that the song really made no sense at all. I quit singing and just sat there listening. By the end of the song, I was pretty pissed off about it.

Matt
06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
"there's a young man, coming through my bathroom!!"

towerguard
06-30-2007, 06:26 AM
I came to this conclusion while riding in my car listening to the radio during lunch....Van Halen's "Jump" may very well just be the most pointless song EVER written.

I was singing along, singing along when it dawned on me that the song really made no sense at all. I quit singing and just sat there listening. By the end of the song, I was pretty pissed off about it.

I read somewhere that Van Halen's The Cradle Will Rock is the most mediocre rock song ever made and that the best way to tell if a song is good or bad is to ask yourself if it's better or worse than The Cradle Will Rock. If it's better, hey...it;s a good song, if not. Bad song.

tamez
06-30-2007, 08:11 AM
the point of Jump is the keyboard
and the lil geetar solo in the middle there. :unsure:

Frunobulax
06-30-2007, 11:13 AM
The keyboards that broke up Van Halen....then came Van Hagar.....ewww.

alinda
06-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Fruno, your too cool :thumbsup:

Darkthoughts
06-30-2007, 01:30 PM
5. hard copy of Chocolate and Cheese--Ween
Is it Guava that has Push The Little Daisies on it? Thats my favourite Ween track.

Frunobulax
06-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Pure Guava has that song, Darkthoughts. Today at Benway I bought used copies of:
1. Hit To Death In The Future Head--The Flaming Lips
2. Push Th' Little Daisies EP--Ween [this is a promo only item--verrrry rare!!]
Both were only $7.99 each!

Frunobulax
06-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Fruno, your too cool :thumbsup:

I know. :P

VolsToTheWall
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Is it Guava that has Push The Little Daisies on it? Thats my favourite Ween track.
The way they play that song live is really cool, they jam out on it. :thumbsup: (And fun singin' along with the chorus too. ;))

Frunobulax
06-30-2007, 11:59 PM
A nice brown track that one is.

Darkthoughts
07-02-2007, 05:17 AM
I had it on a mix tape a friend made for me, but I played it so much the tape snapped! It had a song by Camper Van Beethoven on it too that was kinda like gypsy/irish music with lots of fiddles and stuff...any idea what thats called?

Frunobulax
07-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm not a Camper van Beethoven fan,so no beans.

Mordred Deschain
07-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm waiting for the Drop Kick Murphy's to come by again. They are in Europe on tour and I missed this show....
http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/downloads/flyers/031107.jpg

Daghain
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm so freaking happy I'm getting my car back tomorrow. It's been gone 6 weeks and about 3 days before the accident I put all my favorite discs in the CD changer - and all six of those fuckers have been stuck in there ever since. I had the new Breaking Benjamin and 30 Seconds from Mars that I just got started listening to. The damn battery in the car was dead when I went by a couple days after the accident to rescue them, so I'm going through withdrawal over here. :(

Frunobulax
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Recently downloaded the complete Squarepusher and Venetian Snares discogs. Whee!

OchrisO
07-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm waiting for the Drop Kick Murphy's to come by again. They are in Europe on tour and I missed this show....

I didn't get to see them at Bogarts because I was broke, and am very angry about it. I love Dropkick Murphys

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I am now officially declaring myself old LOL. Between the Dropkick Murphys and whatthehellever Fruno is downloading, I am totally lost.

Damn, thought I was still hip. :(

Oh well.

OchrisO
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I am now officially declaring myself old LOL. Between the Dropkick Murphys and whatthehellever Fruno is downloading, I am totally lost.

Damn, thought I was still hip. :(

Oh well.

Dropkick Murphys are a "celtic punk" band from Boston. They are amazing. If you have seen the movie The Departed, the song 'Shipping up to Boston" that is playing when they are driving down the street is by them. I highly suggest that anyone check them out as well as Flogging Molly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropkick_Murphys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_Molly

Daghain
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I was not all that into Flogging Molly. I love Celtic music, but they didn't do it for me.

Maybe I'm just a purist. :D I will check out Dropkick Murphys, though. You never can tell.:D

I love Cetic music, mostly more traditional, such as Naimh Parsons, Deanta, Capercaille, Wicked Tinkers (AWESOME on the bagpipes, me foine bucko!) Clannad (a bit new-agey, but good), Nataie McMaster (that woman can play the HELL out of a fiddle, IMHO), Alistair Fraser (seen him live a bunch of times, he RAWKS!) and Altan.

We have a Scottish Festival annually about 45 minutes from here - and I heard Hadrian's Wall play there - those boys ROCKED! See if you can find any of their stuff - very cool, IMHO. Lots of fun. :)

And I thought I was all that and a bag of chips because I like Breaking Benjamin and 30 Seconds from Mars.

As usual, a day late and a dollar short, LOL.

Hey, at least I'm not listening to Musak and thinking it's all good. LOL. :lol:

OchrisO
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
How about The Pogues?

She-Oy
07-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Ya know I realize that downloading music is the hip, popular thing to do, but there's just something about walking into a store and out with a new cd, ripping past all the plastic and tape and popping into the car that is just plain fun.

Daghain
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm with you, She-Oy. I prefer CDs.

Never listened to the Pogues, Chris. Guess I'll have to check them out, too. :)

Chassit
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Anyone a fan of System of a Down?

I think they rock!!!

XIX

Darkthoughts
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
And you can't forget The Dubliners Daghain!

My Dad used to hate the Dubliners and also (I am about to blaspheme :P ) The Sound of Music - so for his birthday one year we had an album cover made up of "The Dubliners sing The Sound of Music!" :lol:

I don't own any SoaD but I always like them when I catch them on MTV - especially Chop Suey.

OchrisO
07-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm with you, She-Oy. I prefer CDs.

Never listened to the Pogues, Chris. Guess I'll have to check them out, too. :)

Yes, you must, and then get back to me about how awesome they both are.

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
The Dubliners = okay.

Right now I am listening to Alisdair Fraser's "Stratherrick" and getting depressed (it's the Irish in me, I can't help myself - I love a good depressing song).

I've seen him live, he totally ROCKS! A truly awesome fiddle player - he could teach the young ones a thing or two, I think. I have an autographed CD of his (he used to play the local Scottish Festival here every year).

I miss him. He got the consierge of the Holiday Inn to Irish step-dance to his fiddle playing one year. It was awesome! :D

Hadrian's Wall, The Glengary Boys, and The Wicked Tinkers are great too - they all made the Scottish festival here one year or another, and they are a LOT of fun!

But Alisdair is my favorite. Right up there with Naimh Parsons. Her "Clohinne Winds" gives me chills. :D

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm still a CD and vinyl purist. But oftentimes, downloading is the only way I can get the music I want in more outre genres (like IDM, breakcore, and various other electronica forms). Oh, I found all my Pixies shit, so now I'm SUPER happy. :D

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Holy cow, I need to listen to this CD more often. Alisdair Fraser's Sally mo ghradh is even more sad.

Damn, I love me some depressing Celtic music. :D

The happiest time of my life was the two weeks I spent in Ireland - the first day we were there we stumbled upon the Ennis music festival - musicians from EVERYFUCKINGWHERE just hopping in and out of pubs and playing. AWESOME.

I am sooo buying a pub and retiring there.

Well, maybe in Westport. On the sea, nice small town, great people. Come to think of it, I did not meet one idiot or jerk anywhere in Ireland.

Hmmm. Wonder how much $$$ I need? I want to go NOW!

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Depressing Celtic music?? Sounds interesting. I'm cheering up and down with The Glad Fact by modern underground indie band Dirty Projectors.

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Oh, and I've never been a big Pogues fan....sorry Chris.

Darkthoughts
07-16-2007, 02:17 AM
The Pixies!! Debaser is my favourite, closely followed by Caribou. Fruno, you're making me dig out all my old cassettes here :D

Frunobulax
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
DEBASER!!

Darkthoughts
07-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Girl you're so groovy - uh uh uh oh!!

Frunobulax
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM

I'm also listening to a lot more DEVO than I used to.

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM

I didn't get to see them at Bogarts because I was broke, and am very angry about it. I love Dropkick Murphys

I mean, dude, I live in Michigan and couldn't make it. ya, I was broke to. Hey, if you hear of them coming close to us anytime soon, drop me a note.

kithereal
07-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I brought My son David to See Tool last week.
Davis is 9. He is a huge fan. ( the whole family is )

Tool was David's very 1st concert....
The boy was speechless...he had this look on his face that read "I am unable to process what I am seeing."
We have been to places where there are alot of people but he has never seen a huge venue like The tweeter center....he was floored.
It took a few songs for his eyes to de-glaze.
People were so very cool to him because he was so young and it was his first concert.
He had a great time it was an awesome concert.his quote of the night
"OMG this is nothing like hearing it on my MP3 player"""
SO CUTE
i had to share
KIT

Darkthoughts
07-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Wow...you are an awesome parent!!! My eldest is 9 and I dare not let him read your post because he'll be like "WHY DON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME TO GIGS?!!" :lol:

Frunobulax
07-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I picked up the new Ween EP (The Friends EP) yesterday. Highly recommend that any fan of Gener and Deaner find it, or anybody who wants to know why Ween are so great.

Also on September 14, I'll be seeing Dirty Projectors live at The Echo on Sunset!

Darkthoughts
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Oooohh!!! Can you give me a track listing for that EP Fruno?

kithereal
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow...you are an awesome parent!!! My eldest is 9 and I dare not let him read your post because he'll be like "WHY DON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME TO GIGS?!!" :lol:

I have heard alot of things on the Tool page about violence and crowd surges ....I don't know why but for a extremely intelligent band they attract quite a few major Idiots
BUT Tweeter center is a great venue... very safe, open air ..there were alot of "interesting" smells in the air so that open Air was important.
It could be his last chance to see them( you never know )
experiencing the smells,and the drunks was worth seeing these AMAZING musicians/ artists . They are really cool humans.

Darkthoughts
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I haven't been to any major gigs since I had kids, but I'm well into kids experiencing the music scene if the parent feels confident with it.

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience :D like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year - Rob and I used to go all the time before we had them - but its so outrageously expensive now I don't think we could afford for all 5 of us to go :(

Frunobulax
07-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Oooohh!!! Can you give me a track listing for that EP Fruno?

No problemo.
1. Friends
2.I Got To Put The Hammer Down
3. King Billy
4. Light Me Up
5. Slow Down Boy

Coming in September: La Cucaracha--the new LP!!

Darkthoughts
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
brilliant - cheers Fruno :huglove:

Frunobulax
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
brilliant - cheers Fruno :huglove:

:D

Each song is in a different style, too. Friends is cheesy techno, King Billy is reggae, etc.

kithereal
07-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I haven't been to any major gigs since I had kids, but I'm well into kids experiencing the music scene if the parent feels confident with it.

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience :D like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year (

My first concert was Bobby Vinton ( no snickers please ) So I was really happy to be able to take him to see his favorite band....hope the right opportunity presents itself for yours ....
speaking of Glastonbury..
I love this one video of Elvis Costello singing "oliver's Army" at Glastonbury....the people looked so cool and fun....would love to go too! Not my side of the pond though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMCWGCAIME

elvis is playing the coolest guitar....

KIT

Mordred Deschain
07-24-2007, 02:07 PM

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience :D like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year (

My first concert was Bobby Vinton ( no snickers please ) So I was really happy to be able to take him to see his favorite band....hope the right opportunity presents itself for yours ....
speaking of Glastonbury..
I love this one video of Elvis Costello singing "oliver's Army" at Glastonbury....the people looked so cool and fun....would love to go too! Not my side of the pond though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMCWGCAIME

elvis is playing the coolest guitar....

KIT

oh snap!! I gotta find a picture for you. There's a picture of Bobby Vinton kissing my mom at a concert in my home town. My grandma busted into his trailer while he was taking a shower too!! Italian women, what can you say?

kithereal
07-25-2007, 08:09 AM
oh snap!! I gotta find a picture for you. There's a picture of Bobby Vinton kissing my mom at a concert in my home town. My grandma busted into his trailer while he was taking a shower too!! Italian women, what can you say?[/QUOTE]

your Grandma busted in on Bobby Vinton?
I almost spit out my coffee
so funny
KIT

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes. The story goes he was taking a shower and he came out in a towel and there was my little italian grandma sitting at a table smoking a cigarette. From what I gathered he was pretty nice to her and she waited while he got dressed. And then at the concert, he walked up several rows and had my mom stand up and he kissed her. I've been thinking...grandma in trailer....mom gets kissed at concert...hmmmmm... sounds like grandma talked Bobby into it. :lol:

Darkthoughts
07-26-2007, 06:08 AM
:lol: Your grandma rocks!

Frunobulax
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Awesomeness happened today: some dude in England leaked two tracks from the new Dirty Projectors album! Police Story and Rise Above! YES! Dave's voice is visceral on the first track, then wavering between rock-oriented vocals and crooning on the second, and Amber and Angel (guitar, bass, respectively and vocals) sound absurdly sweet on their backups.

Frunobulax
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh, here's the link if you care to check out the songs.
http://jamiesrunoutgroove.blogspot.com/2007/07/dirty-projectors-rise-above-wow.html

OchrisO
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Awesomeness happened today: some dude in England leaked two tracks from the new Dirty Projectors album! Police Story and Rise Above! YES! Dave's voice is visceral on the first track, then wavering between rock-oriented vocals and crooning on the second, and Amber and Angel (guitar, bass, respectively and vocals) sound absurdly sweet on their backups.

Aren't those both Black Flag songs?

Frunobulax
07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Yep. The entire album, Rise Above, is Dave Longstreth rewriting all of Damaged (one of my favourite albums) from memory. He hasn't heard the album since middle school, and is now at least 23. It accounts for some missing songs, missing lines, and funky tracklisting.

Mordred Deschain
07-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Black Flag!?!? Awesome!! I hate my local radio stations.

Frunobulax
07-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah. I'm a fan of anything pre-Rollins, but I harbor a special place for Damaged. I can live happily with that album and for more modern, Relationship Of Command and In On The Kill Taker.

Frunobulax
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Went on a spree to get happy at Amoeba.
Got:
Spiderman Of The Rings, Dan Deacon
The Full Sentence [promo], Pigeonhed
Neu!, Neu!
Helter Stupid, Negativland
Marry Me, St. Vincent
I know It's A Drag...But Wastin' Pigs Is Still Radical and 20 Years Of Weird, The Flaming Lips
The Pod, Ween [replaces a burnt copy]
then went to Virgin and bought
LCD Soundsystem, LCD Soundsystem

towerguard
08-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Ozzfest was pretty fun last night, though I'm kinda getting tired of Zack Wylde's guitar solo's.
Static X did So Cold off the Queen of the Damned soundtrack and that about made my day.

Tonight..Manson/Slayer show. :rock:

Frunobulax
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Downloaded the fantastic (so far) Merzbox by Japanese noise artist Merzbow. Listened to three discs so far--the damn thing is 50 CDs long!

sarah
08-14-2007, 07:26 AM
five weeks and counting until i get to see the white stripes live. I'm so super excited i can hardly stand it.

in new music news in my life....ah who am i kidding. I've only listened to the white stripes this summer. :lol: and well maybe a little lynyrd skynyrd.

Frunobulax
08-14-2007, 01:01 PM
I pre-ordered the new Dirty Projectors album, Rise Above, on both CD AND vinyl. Only $30 (shipping was an outrageous $8...grrr), so less than if I bought both versions from a record shop. This is only the second release (and first cataloged item) from Dead Oceans, so I figured they could use the money.

towerguard
08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
five weeks and counting until i get to see the white stripes live. I'm so super excited i can hardly stand it.

in new music news in my life....ah who am i kidding. I've only listened to the white stripes this summer. :lol: and well maybe a little lynyrd skynyrd.

I hate you.
By the time I had the money for tickets they were sold out!

Frunobulax
08-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I found a leaked version of the new Dirty Projectors album--it sounds like a different mix, as the vocals have much more reverb and sound airier than on the officially released track. This just adds to the excitement of the real release in a month.

Frunobulax
08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Got all happy at Benway's $0.25 CD sale.
-The Pipettes single
-Original Japanese Radiohead Creep single
-Mussorgsky CD
-St. Vincent, Marry Me [Promo copy]
-Pigeonhed promo single (Steve will enjoy that one, heh)
-Mixel Pixel, Contact Kid [Promo]
-Negativland, Helter Stupid original SST CD (I now own this on original vinyl, CD, and reissue CD)
Other I forget right now. I bought 9 total.

Darkthoughts
08-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Mussorgsky! Nice - Does it have Night On A Bare Mountain?

Brice
08-29-2007, 04:25 AM
[QUOTE=Darkthoughts;32226]Mussorgsky! Nice - Does it have Night On A Bare Mountain?

Do you mean Night On Bald Mountain or St. John's Night on the Bare Mountain?

Darkthoughts
08-29-2007, 04:52 AM
Night on Bald Mountain :lol: Theres a misprint on my cd case :D I also love Pictures At An Exhibition (Baba Yaga's Hut is my favourite) but I only have that on vinyl as a b side on a Rossini LP (not sure why its on there?)

Frunobulax
08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
It's a disc with Pictures and a second piece...I don't have it next to me, and I haven't listened to it all the way through yet, so I forget the second part.
Oh, yeah, I also found an original Nonesuch of Steve Reich's The Desert Music there and the 9th one was Hot Chip, Remixes and Rarities which is a promo only item!

towerguard
08-30-2007, 04:26 AM
The new Scorpions album rocks.

Mattrick
08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Every forum is loaded with people who love bands I've never heard of. Then again, I stopped caring about music years ago, ever since rap, emo and indie made it big. More and more I find myself listening to older music and enjoying it far more than anything made in the last ten years.

I enjoy Brand New a lot though, especially their last album. Been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd and Elton John lately.

Matt
08-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Every forum is loaded with people who love bands I've never heard of

Welcome to the club. :cool:

But I am a cranky old man so I have an excuse.

"Turn that music down you punks"

Daghain
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM

I thought I was up with the current stuff. Turns out I was wrong. :lol:

Darkthoughts
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Mussorgsky is classical music...hes even older than you Matt :P :lol:

towerguard
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
You know, no matter how much some metal heads say they hate indie rock, NIN's album Head Like a Hole was an indie release.

ps- I'm trying to make a garage rock mix for my computer. Any suggestions would be great.

OchrisO
08-30-2007, 09:09 PM
You know, no matter how much some metal heads say they hate indie rock, NIN's album Head Like a Hole was an indie release.

ps- I'm trying to make a garage rock mix for my computer. Any suggestions would be great.

I dunno about garage rock per say, but there's an awesome bunch of diy punk bands on this label and there's some mp3s there. http://www.plan-it-x.com (http://www.plan-it-x.com)I love most every band on there, especially This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, Operation: Cliff Clavin and Devil is Electric.

Frunobulax
09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Stopped by Benway to say goodbye (my dad may have saved the store with his frankness, though) and picked up Mark Pickerel's new album, Snake in the Radio. Steve produced, engineered, mixed, and played keyboards on it. And it was only $7!

towerguard
09-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Stopped by Benway to say goodbye (my dad may have saved the store with his frankness, though) and picked up Mark Pickerel's new album, Snake in the Radio. Steve produced, engineered, mixed, and played keyboards on it. And it was only $7!

Where do you hear of these people!?

gee...
*looks through the albums he has that he considers obscure*

I just can't compete :lol:

Frunobulax
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Mark was the drummer for The Screaming Trees, Nirvana, and others. His first band, The Dark Fantastic, made two albums that were released on my family's label (their second disc, Goodbye Crooked Scar is fantastic), and I listened to every Trees disc in Seattle. And Steve (Fisk) is a family friend, one of my personal friends, and an all around nice guy and technical wizard.

Erin
09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I really like that song "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White T's. It's been stuck in my head for days now.

Frunobulax
09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm officially a fan of The Residents.

She-Oy
09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd like to go to this concert....nice they are getting Bonham's son to play with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/12/ledzeppelin.comeback/index.html

towerguard
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd like to go to this concert....nice they are getting Bonham's son to play with them.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/12/ledzeppelin.comeback/index.html
I'd give my right nut to be there. :pullhair:

Storyslinger
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I'd give your right nut too

towerguard
09-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I'd give your right nut too

It'll be easy to find, it's the bigger of the two, but thats just the cancer.

(I can't tell which song your sig comes from, I thought REO Speedwagon only ever released one song. That song is Riding the Storm Out...or at least, thats when they should have stopped)

Storyslinger
09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
TELL ME ABOUT IT
That song kick butt

Ohh....sorry about the cancer

towerguard
09-14-2007, 10:49 AM
TELL ME ABOUT IT
That song kick butt

Ohh....sorry about the cancer

I don't have cancer.

Storyslinger
09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I assumed you didn't 8)

Frunobulax
09-14-2007, 01:24 PM
The new Animal Collective album is great!

towerguard
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Vanilla Fudge just released a Led Zeppelin cover album,but it wasn't released in America...GOD DAMN

Frunobulax
09-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Downloaded a ton of Stockhausen, Cage, Varese, and oldskool electronic from this great avant-garde music blog.

Mattrick
09-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Concerts for 07'

An Evening with Roger Waters
Unearth
Brand New

Frunobulax
09-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Ween tickets are too expensive for me--FUCK!
Although the Dirty Projectors concert was amazing. I even got the chance to meet all the bands and talk with Dave Longstreth for a good 15 minutes.

Frunobulax
10-01-2007, 05:07 PM
OK, I'm so happy I have a job!

ORDERED:
Adam Forkner - [[ [[VVRSSNN ] ]]]
White Rainbow - BOX
Radiohead - In Rainbows discbox [2 CDs, 2 Records, special hardcover book, extra art and photos, all in a snazzy case]

GONNA BUY:
Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
The Pipettes - S/T

DOWNLOADED:
A bunch of Leadbelly, doo-wop, etc.

ZoNeSeeK
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Big Day Out 2008!! woohoo!

RATM and Bjork are headlining :D

She-Oy
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
RATM is headlining for Vegoose in 2 weeks here. It's Vegas's equilivalent to Big Day Out. I remember y'all got Tool last year or the year before I think. It was the band's first live performance for 10,000 days.

Which btw, they have just announced that they will be doing a second leg of the tour starting next month.

Ya know, they get a lot of complaints because they only put out an album ever 5-6 years, but they are one of the few bands who don't sell out. They don't make crap and record it just to say they have 12 records. They really don't give a fuck about their fans, they make the music for themselves. They take breaks, do individual projects and when the itch hits all 4, they find themselves back together making sweet, sweet music.

One of the few bands I can that actually "grows" with each album. The Foo Fighters do too. Not a bad song on any of their records.

Such a rarity (and a sad one) when a band comes out with a cd in which you don't feel the urge to skip songs.

Frunobulax
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I've been extremely let down with every Foo Fighters disc I've ever heard--to me, they're regressing.
[[ [[VVRSSNN] ]]] (I can't put all four brackets next to each other) and BOX arrived yesterday, so I bought them. I'll have to get Adam Forkner to sign BOX next time I see him in concert. And the Pipettes disc fucking rocks in the best '60s Spector girl group way.

She-Oy
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way, Fruno...I do not.

Frunobulax
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Power to ya.
[Goes back to listening to The Eraser]

Frunobulax
10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!
THE NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM IS LESS THAN 12 HOURS AWAY!!!!

Sorry--this is such major news for me.

Heather19
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I completely forgot that was coming out tomorrow. Let me know how it is.

Frunobulax
10-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Listening to it now--only on Nude (Track 3) and it's AWESOME! Nude makes me want to weep, it's so gorgeous. And 15 Step rocks glitchcore style, while Bodysnatchers is great straight up rock and fucking roll.

towerguard
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Ok guys quick opinion poll

YouTube - WHITESNAKE "Still of the night"

How many Zeppelin songs can they steal in one song?

erm, Matt...that was just supposed to be a link, I like it this way too though, fix it if you think it's too much for the site.

Frunobulax
10-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Sympathy For The Devil
12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Im a huge Ryan Adams fan, not Bryan. Any fans of Ryan here? Also love the stones, zeppelin, the beatles, neil young, david bowie, Love, the doors, the pixies, the replacements, gram parsons, guns n roses and the smiths amongst others.

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Not a Ryan Adams fan at all. Zep, Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Doors, Pixies and Smiths are all like classic and indie rock primer bands. Love are sadly underrated and unknown, as are the superb sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. I've been listening to a lot of The Residents, Pumice, Burial, and Lightning Bolt recently.

Residents=experimental rock
Pumice=lo-fi fuzz folk
Burial=dubstep/DJ Shadow on downers/electronic
Lightning Bolt=noise rock/noise punk

Oh yeah, and the usual diet of Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys in with the FZ.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Not a Ryan Adams fan at all. Zep, Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Doors, Pixies and Smiths are all like classic and indie rock primer bands. Love are sadly underrated and unknown, as are the superb sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators. I've been listening to a lot of The Residents, Pumice, Burial, and Lightning Bolt recently.

Residents=experimental rock
Pumice=lo-fi fuzz folk
Burial=dubstep/DJ Shadow on downers/electronic
Lightning Bolt=noise rock/noise punk

Oh yeah, and the usual diet of Circle Jerks, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys in with the FZ.

How come u dont like ryan adams? Just not ur cup a tea?

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Nope, he's just not my cup of tea at all. I'm open to everything, buy Ryan Adams never tickled my musical fancy.

Aesculapius
12-20-2007, 06:09 PM
FINALLY!

YouTube - Official Vicarious Music Video - Tool

Frunobulax
12-20-2007, 06:14 PM
YES!! I'm looking forward to this DVD.

Aesculapius
12-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Indeed!

I'm glad they waited to release a video from the album. ;)

Frunobulax
12-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Likewise.

I recently downloaded Trans and Everybody's Rockin' by Neil Young until I can buy them on CD.

Ruthful
12-21-2007, 01:56 AM
The Residents strike me as having crushed the threshhold of musical experimentation. The last time I watched a DVD of their work it reminded me of performance art. Usually I mean that as an insult, but in their case it really worked.

Frunobulax
12-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I love The Residents. Everything they do is as cutting edge in art as it is music in terms of both experimentation and quality. If you saw their Cube-E performances or even the early Mark of the Mole performances, those were totally stage shows with music rather than a concert with a stage show.

Aesculapius
12-21-2007, 06:08 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/Obelison/two/ADAMPOSTERAC.jpg

sarah
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
The Coachella line up was announced today.

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/40364/2001267963701610075_fs.jpg

jayson
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Frunobulax, you seem to know your experimental music pretty well... have you listened to any of John Zorn's projects? I am particularly interested in knowing if you've heard any of Zorn's "Naked City" project?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_City_%28band%29

ATG
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM

dylan = good :)

Agreed.

Erin
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow, I'd love to be at Coachella on the Sunday. Willie Nelson...Rage....The Roots....Awesome.

Aesculapius
01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
That does look like an awesome lineup for Coachella.
Rage again!
Bjork live should be interesting, as well.

ZoNeSeeK
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Sympathy: are you going to the big day out?

Will
01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
I love The Residents. Everything they do is as cutting edge in art as it is music in terms of both experimentation and quality. If you saw their Cube-E performances or even the early Mark of the Mole performances, those were totally stage shows with music rather than a concert with a stage show.

I've been interested in them for a while, but I'm kind of intimidated by all the stuff that's out there. Where's a good place to jump in?

Frunobulax
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
R of G, Naked City is one of my all time favourite bands! Grand Guignol and the S/T are always amazing, and Eye serves the band like a glove (although Mike Patton did a great job elsewhere with the band). Pretty much anything Zorn gets me into a state of bliss, and Merzbow's 1930 released on his label stands as one of the greatest noise albums to date.

Will, I suggest either The Commercial Album, Fingerprince (and its brother EP Babyfingers), or Duck Stab/Buster and Glen. If you like Negativland, go for The Third Reich 'n Roll.

Will
01-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Will, I suggest either The Commercial Album, Fingerprince (and its brother EP Babyfingers), or Duck Stab/Buster and Glen. If you like Negativland, go for The Third Reich 'n Roll.

:doh: In retrospect, I should have known to try "The Commercial Album" I guess. I started listening to it a few minutes ago, very interesting. I'm liking this. Just heard Secrets, creeptacular. :rock:

Thanks for the advice.

jayson
01-24-2008, 04:15 AM
R of G, Naked City is one of my all time favourite bands! Grand Guignol and the S/T are always amazing, and Eye serves the band like a glove (although Mike Patton did a great job elsewhere with the band). Pretty much anything Zorn gets me into a state of bliss, and Merzbow's 1930 released on his label stands as one of the greatest noise albums to date.

Thank Gan! Somebody I can talk Zorn with. I pretty much fall into the category of Zorn-worshipper. Naked City has always attracted me because I am a guitar player and both Frisell and Frith are heroes of mine, so to hear them play in Zorn project together, and across such a wide range of genres is a real treat.

My true love as far as Zorn projects go is Electric Masada, and I can tell you why in two words, Marc Ribot. Ribot is my single favorite living guitar player and the biggest inspiration on my own playing. All of the work he does with Zorn is top notch but Electric Masada specifically stands out. I'm too young to have seen the 1974-75 Miles Davis line-up I love so dearly, but seeing Electric Masada [at there home-base of Tonic no less] was about as close as I suspect I'll come to hearing something similar.

Ok, so since you hit the Zorn question out of the ballpark, here's my "have you heard this obscure album" question. this is one to which i have never received even a "heard of it" answer, but given some of the music to which you are aware, it is quite possible that this one crossed your path at some point. it's an album by artist/director julian schnabel called "every silver lining has a cloud." with schnabel on vocals, it features guest musicians bernie worrell, bill laswell, buckethead and nicky skopelitis among others. laswell produced it. it came out in the mid 90's though i didn't pick it up until i happened across it about four yrs ago. interesting stuff and a chance to hear some of these players in a very different context than usual.

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I've heard of it--seriously! I'm a Bernie Worrell fan via way of Talking Heads, and Buckethead is an interesting enough character to keep me aware of his output. I've been trying to find a copy of it, but to no avail.

jayson
01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
somehow, i knew you would be the person who knew of it. bernie worrell is the man. i knew much of him from both talking heads and parliament/funkadelic, but his work with bill laswell, well that's just another side of his genius altogether. the julian schnabel album is nothing to write home about [although i did, but only as he is a somewhat relative through marriage to my family] but it is interesting and definitely fun to hear a subdued buckethead.

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Subdued Buckethead--DOES NOT COMPUTE!
But it seems like a fun album based on everything I know about it. My only concerns lie in Schnabel's performance, which seem to be justified.

jayson
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Subdued Buckethead--DOES NOT COMPUTE!
But it seems like a fun album based on everything I know about it. My only concerns lie in Schnabel's performance, which seem to be justified.

to be completely honest, his singing is not as bas as i thought it would be. his lyrics, that's another story entirely. now, balance out what i'm saying with the knowledge that my favorite singer is tom waits. julian actually sounds a bit like a very young waits [before the grumblier singing started], and a bit like Leonard Cohen. Better than I thought it would be, but far from great.

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
OK. I'll look for it at Amoeba next time, between the searches for William Basinski albums.

jayson
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Basinski I know of, but cannot say I have heard any of his work. Any suggestions on where might be a good place to start with his stuff? It sounds like it might be right up my alley [I love interesting use of tape loops].

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
The Disintegration Loops. By far his greatest work--all four discs. The idea of just letting a tape loop destroy itself is simple yet profound, and the sounds that are (and later aren't) there rank as some of the best minimal/ambient music I've ever heard.

jayson
01-24-2008, 03:02 PM
it sounds like the just the kind of thing i would enjoy. thanks!

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
No problem.
Adam Forkner makes fantastic ambient music under the White Rainbow name. I proudly own his entire output as White Rainbow and VVRSSNN, and recommend his output whenever the chance arises.

jayson
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
i shall add it to my list of things to check out. i'm just so glad to have found another zorn fan! it helps me put a little perspective to how you listen to things bc i know zorn is an acquired taste.

Frunobulax
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1364 This discussion had me listing about 1/5th of what I listened to last year. I pretty much ingest anything music, and my recent trip to Amoeba had me bringing home Lungs + Songs About Fucking (Big Black) and Budd (Rapeman) home on vinyl for more noise punk to savor.

jayson
01-24-2008, 05:18 PM
i too have a bit of a music obssession. people ask why i "need" an 80gb iPod, but i filled it in a matter of hours, and have to take off something to put on something new. my old 20 gb i use for storage, as well as having filled two 80gb external hard drives and both drives on my old pc [about 150 gigs]. then there's the stuff i've yet to digitize.... i'm sure you know how it goes.

as for music i am listening to these days, we just saw sharon jones & the dap kings the other night. after listening them for a few years now it was a real treat to see them. in short, it's the closest i'm gonna get to having seen james brown. she is billed as "the lady james brown" and she lives up to the billing. as for the band, they are as solid a funk/soul band as i've heard, and it is a genre i pride myself on knowing inside and out. the dk's combine the best parts of the JB's and the MG's, but have a sound that's their own as well. a lot of it is the horn section. the guys in the band comprise most of the whole daptone records stable of bands, so the horns are also the horns from the budos band, my fav of the bunch. their horn sound i would best describe as 70's kung fu funk. it's very melodic and very much drives the groove. combine that with the fireball that is miss sharon jones, and you have a funk show that brought the full house down. i've been wearing out the 2 budos band albums and a couple other daptone records items since. fyi - if you do not know, the dap kings were the band for amy winehouse's album.

Frunobulax
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, the Dap Kings are pretty fucking awesome. While not a Winehouse fan, when I heard her disc I loved the horns (as a trombonist and saxophonist, I appreciated the musicianship). I've currently got about 62GB of music, but at least 500 CDs and another 100 or so records. Not too bad considering my age.

jayson
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
my wife is more a fan of ms. winehouse than i, but i definitely appreciated tat she used the dk's as a band for her album and tour. it backs up my comparisons of them to the mg's as the mg's had an existence as the stax house band aside from releasing their own records. the dk's ooze with that same feel. i did not know you were a horn player, very cool. if you appreciate the dk's horns, DEF check out the Budos Band albums, also on Daptone Records. It is the same horn section, and then some, but in an instrumental afro-funk groove context. It makes me wish I could play a horn. The best I can do is try to pick up some of the phrasing in my guitar playing. of all of the daptone bands, they are the one i couldn't eliminate from my collection.

EDIT: Here is some video of the Budos Band

1. them live playing 'Up from the South'

YouTube - BUDOS BAND

2. a video someone made for "Volcano Song"

YouTube - Budos Band - Volcano Song

and yes, you have a very respectably sized music collection, and seem intent on growing it larger, always a good thing.

Frunobulax
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
As a certain favourite philosopher of mine said: Without music, life would be a mistake. I adhere to this statement.

Frunobulax
01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Jackfuckinpot!
I just found 9 Jandek albums for free via the glory of Google and file servers!

Jimmy
01-31-2008, 04:47 AM
I wasn't aware that Michael Kamen had passed away. That's too bad, I really enjoyed his works.

towerguard
02-23-2008, 01:57 AM
That song from the movie Once, "Falling Slowly" makes me wanna cry, it's haunting even without words, the melody is amazing.

The Man With No Name
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Great! Many here have listed groups that I like. I see Zappa, Zorn, White Stripes, Squarepusher...I like a lot of electronic, experimental music as well. I'd say my favorite electronic music is from a group called Download. If anyone knows, Download is comprised of Cevin Key from Skinny Puppy fame and Phil Western. They have other little side projects too. I like them all. I dig some fusion jazz, from Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock. I love dub music very much, like King Tubby, Twilight Circus Dub Soundsystem, Scientist, Dub Trio etc...

My favorite group above all are the Melvins.

jayson
02-23-2008, 12:20 PM
some cool stuff in your post there man with no name. good to have you here.

jayson
02-28-2008, 06:24 AM
The great funk-rock drummer Buddy Miles has died at the age of 60. Miles is prob most well known for his work in Jimi Hendrix' "Band of Gypsys," as well as stellar work in the band Electric Flag [with the great buitarist Mike Bloomfield]. very sad. a great drummer goes to the clearing.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-miles28feb28,1,2356173.story

Buddy Miles, 60; drummer with Hendrix, voice of California raisins
From Times Staff and Wire Reports

February 28, 2008

Buddy Miles, the rock and R&B drummer, singer and songwriter whose eclectic career included stints playing with Jimi Hendrix and as the lead voice of the California Raisins, the animated clay figures that became an advertising phenomenon in the late 1980s, has died. He was 60.

Miles died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at his home in Austin, Texas, according to an announcement on his website.

A massive man with a distinctive, sculpted afro, Miles hit his peak of popularity when he joined Hendrix and bassist Billy Cox to form Hendrix's Band of Gypsys, which the New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll called "the first black rock group." Miles had played with Hendrix on the guitarist's influential "Electric Ladyland" album released in 1968.

The Band of Gypsys made just one album, a live set recorded on New Year's Eve in 1969-70, and two of Miles' songs, "Them Changes" and "We Got to Live Together," were included on the album. He gave the recording a memorable drum riff on one of Hendrix's signature songs, "Machine Gun."

But, according to Miles, the Band of Gypsys association was brief and stormy. He told The Times in 1988 that Hendrix's management, not the guitarist himself, fired him within a month of the concert. He thought Hendrix's managers were leery of continuing with an all-black group.

"It had to be a racial thing," Miles told The Times. "I think it had to scare them because of the political aspect at the time."

Miles was born Sept. 5, 1947, in Omaha. He developed an interest in drums at an early age and by 12 was playing in his father's jazz combo. Within a couple of years he was in demand as a session player and a sideman, working with top-name R&B groups, including Ruby and the Romantics and the Delfonics. According to the Rolling Stone encyclopedia, he played on the session that produced the Jaynetts' 1963 hit "Sally Go Round the Roses."

While playing with Wilson Pickett in 1967, he was approached by guitarist Mike Bloomfield, who asked him to join the blues, rock and soul group Electric Flag. Miles played on three of the band's albums before forming his own group, the Buddy Miles Express, in 1968. Next came his association with Hendrix.

Over the years, Miles recorded two albums with Carlos Santana, one of which went platinum, and worked with other leading music figures, including Muddy Waters and John McLaughlin. He re-formed the Buddy Miles Express in the mid-1970s and had a hit with his song "Them Changes."

By the late 1970s, however, Miles' career came to a halt over convictions for grand theft and auto theft. He served time in the California Institution for Men at Chino and at San Quentin State Prison. He was incarcerated until 1985 and formed bands at both prisons.

After he was released, he sang with Santana's group and got the raisin gig while working on an album with the guitarist. The popular television commercials for the California Raisin Advisory Board featured a quartet of singing and dancing Claymation figures with Miles, as Buddy Raisin, doing the lead singing covering Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."

The commercial's popularity spawned a million-selling offshoot album of remakes of rock and soul oldies, "The California Raisins Sing the Hit Songs."

towerguard
03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Everyone should go out and buy Black Mountain's new album. It's like this crazy mash-up of pink floyd's structure,black sabbath's heaviness, and Neil Young's song writing...

Girlystevedave
04-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I swear Green Day needs to hurry up and pop out a new album. I'm itching for some new tunes.:panic:

OchrisO
04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Can you imagine what Metallica would have been like if Cliff Burton hadn't died?

YouTube - for whom the bell tolls

*sigh*
I bet they still would have had that great thrash sound and not started sucking.

towerguard
05-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Nine inch nails just released a new album!

nin.com <--- free dl'd

jayson
05-05-2008, 04:44 AM

nin.com <--- free dl'd

They are also touring N. America this summer...

dates and pre-sale info can be found on their site at this link...

http://tour.nin.com/

towerguard
05-05-2008, 05:17 AM

nin.com <--- free dl'd

They are also touring N. America this summer...

dates and pre-sale info can be found on their site at this link...

http://tour.nin.com/

Yeah, it's a shame lollapalooza costs so much, or I'd be right there in the front row...jerking off.

Erin
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Weezer's The Red Album is currently rocking my world.

obscurejude
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Weezer's The Red Album is currently rocking my world.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the weez- for about 12 years now. I could go on and on. Hope to pick up the new one very soon.

Erin
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
It's really amazing Ryan. I love every single song on it. However, I think Pinkerton is still my favorite album of theirs.

Which is your favorite?

obscurejude
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
The Blue Album is the most nostalgic for me, but Pinkerton is my favorite too and I bought it when it first came out. Across the Sea is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard and the album has such a raw feeling to it. Every word, every riff, every solo has so much passion in it.

Erin
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Yes! Across the Sea is one of my all-time favorite love songs.

Have you ever heard Counting Crows "Anna Begins"? It's another of those incredibly beautiful, passionate love songs in my opinion.

Girlystevedave
07-02-2008, 04:48 AM
I've been listening to a lot of Weezer lately too.
I remember reading somewhere a while back that Rivers Cuomo said that he found a scientific formula that he applies to the music to make every single song catchy.(I can definitely see that it works)
I think of that whenever I listen to Weezer.
:)

obscurejude
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
I remember reading somewhere a while back that Rivers Cuomo said that he found a scientific formula that he applies to the music to make every single song catchy.(I can definitely see that it works)

Where did you here that? I read that he just meditates for hours until he uncovers a line or a hook in his head.

Either way, he definitely has a gift for melody.

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Jude, have you listened to Nick Drake before? If so, I am curious to hear your opinions on his music. :)

jayson
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Jude, have you listened to Nick Drake before? If so, I am curious to hear your opinions on his music. :)

Seconded. I have a feeling Drake would be right up Ryan's alley.

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Do you like him R_of_G? I think it is fantastic music, very relaxing. :)

jayson
07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I love Nick Drake. I agree, it's very relaxing music except when I try to play it, then I realize how complex some of it is and it doesn't relax me at all :lol:

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Any favorite songs?
Personally, my favorite album is Five Leaves Left but there are so many songs I enjoy. The "popular" Pink Moon is cool and Which Will is great! :)

jayson
07-02-2008, 08:48 AM
"Which Will" and "Hazy Jane II" are prob my two fav, though I do like most of his songs. I love the album Bryter Later, but Five Leaves is also an amazing album. I love "Pink Moon" and often think of it when I am reading Wizard & Glass.

Have you ever heard Beck's Nick Drake covers? He did "Pink Moon," "Which Will" and "Parasite" and released them through his website awhile back. They are pretty good versions of the songs, faithful to Drake's arrangements, and they are perfect for Beck's voice. I was very pleased with them.

MonteGss
07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Have you ever heard Beck's Nick Drake covers? He did "Pink Moon," "Which Will" and "Parasite" and released them through his website awhile back. They are pretty good versions of the songs, faithful to Drake's arrangements, and they are perfect for Beck's voice. I was very pleased with them.

I've never been too fond of Beck but this sounds interesting. I can totally hear his voice going with Nick's songs. I may have to try to track them down. :)

jayson
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I've never been too fond of Beck but this sounds interesting. I can totally hear his voice going with Nick's songs. I may have to try to track them down. :)

Beck I usually take on a song by song basis. I def prefer when he plays guitar and sings (like his very early stuff and then again with Mutations and Sea Change). The Drake covers were just Beck and an acoustic guitar so it worked very well for me. I still prefer the originals, but it was nice to hear a current artist give some props to Drake.

Girlystevedave
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM

Where did you here that? I read that he just meditates for hours until he uncovers a line or a hook in his head.

Either way, he definitely has a gift for melody.

Oh, jeez, I can't remember. It was probably in Rolling Stone or something years ago. :unsure:

obscurejude
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Monte, I haven't but I'd like too because Elliott Smith was compared to him repeatedly when he started to get noticed. Elliott listened to him for the first time and said, "yeah, I guess I can take that as a compliment." Could you recommend something for me specifically?

jayson
07-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Monte, I haven't but I'd like too because Elliott Smith was compared to him repeatedly when he started to get noticed. Elliott listened to him for the first time and said, "yeah, I guess I can take that as a compliment." Could you recommend something for me specifically?

Hey Ryan. The best place to start with Nick Drake is the album "Five Leaves Later." If you enjoy that, you can pick up his other stuff. Unfortunately there is very little Drake to collect as he took his own life very early. I think that album will avail itself to your singer/songwriter likings. I also know it's Monte's fav Drake album so he would approve of the recommendation.

obscurejude
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Hey Ryan. The best place to start with Nick Drake is the album "Five Leaves Later." If you enjoy that, you can pick up his other stuff. Unfortunately there is very little Drake to collect as he took his own life very early. I think that album will avail itself to your singer/songwriter likings. I also know it's Monte's fav Drake album so he would approve of the recommendation.

Thanks Jayson, consider it done.

MonteGss
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks Jayson, consider it done.

I do agree, though the album is called "Five Leaves Left." :)

*edit*
His album "Pink Moon," his last, is also very good. It is pretty much him and his guitar and songs off that one are what introduced me to him.

jayson
07-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I do agree, though the album is called "Five Leaves Left." :)

thanks monte. i combined two albums into one there "Bryter Later" and "Five Leaves Left" *duh*

Unfound One
07-05-2008, 12:23 AM
This is cool. I'm just getting into Nick Drake and here I find this discussion. :)
I discovered him through the film Garden State - the soundtrack is excellent.

obscurejude
07-05-2008, 10:02 AM
If Jayson, Monte, and SJ recommend anybody to me, its a done deal.

jayson
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
This is cool. I'm just getting into Nick Drake and here I find this discussion. :)
I discovered him through the film Garden State - the soundtrack is excellent.

Cool SJ :) What song(s) of his were used in the movie?

If Jayson, Monte, and SJ recommend anybody to me, its a done deal.

You can't go wrong listening to us.