PDA

View Full Version : Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd

Jorge
11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, Sondheim's musical thriller hits the big screen in about a month (nothing says Christmas like murder and cannibalism, right?). Of course anything starring Depp is going to draw in a pretty big crowd, and I'm glad. This magnificent show is finally getting the attention it's always deserved. Its score is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite.

I do have some reservations about the film version though. One is minor, and that's Depp's singing. Don't get me wrong, I've heard some clips of a couple of his songs, and he sings just fine. But those of us who have seen the likes of George Hearn and Len Cariou have truly been spoiled in that regard. But that's fine. Depp did a great job and I'm sure I'll love it.

Speaking of "love it" my other concern is Mrs. Lovett. In all the clips of footage I've seen from the film, she seems far too... dark. Which doesn't really work well with the score. Mrs. Lovett's songs are, for the most part, bright and full of energy. But Helena looks like a mournful spooky ghost. I half expect to see her rattling chains at some point. Of course I haven't seen the whole thing, so I don't yet know how she played the character throughout, but it's something that I'll watch for.

Would anyone else care to discuss Sweeney? The upcoming film OR the successful stage production. A little later perhaps I'll post some clips from the production that was filmed for public television starring Hearn and Angela "Murder She Wrote" Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett.

Ruthful
11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
THE WOOOOORST PIES IN LONDON!!!

Oh man, the only way they could have made this adaptation any better is if they brough Angela Lansbury out of retirement.

This is one of the few films that might actually worth be the $10 I'll have to shell out if I decide to see it in a multiplex in Manhattan.

I envision waves of Sondheim devotees dressing up as rancidly corrupt constables and fake-Italian confidence men to take in midnight screenings of this.

http://www.fanboy.com/images/Sweeney-Todd.jpg

W00t~:)

Jorge
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM

I envision waves of Sondheim devotees dressing up as rancidly corrupt constables and fake-Italian confidence men to take in midnight screenings of this.

I've heard some folks planning on doing just that. Who knows, maybe I'll join them. :lol:

Ruthful
11-25-2007, 01:54 AM

I've heard some folks planning on doing just that. Who knows, maybe I'll join them. :lol:

Be sure to post video of your adventure.

:excited: