PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King interviews Lauren Grodstein (not a signing, but an in-person event)

Rahfa
01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.waterstreetbooks.com/event/lauren-grodstein-conversation-stephen-king-algonquin-book-club

Stratham, NH...March 3

Not a signing, but an interesting public event.

mae
03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.algonquinbooksblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/grodstein_banner_small.jpeg

http://www.algonquinbooksblog.com/blog/lauren-grodstein-algonquin-book-club-event-129/

Get ready for our next Algonquin Book Club event coming up on March 3 at 7:00 p.m. EST! Tune into the live webcast to hear Stephen King in conversation with Lauren Grodstein, author of A Friend of the Family. While online, you’ll be able to chat with other book club participants and submit questions to be answered during the event. Make sure you take a look at the Algonquin Book club website for an excerpt from A Friend of the Family, a reading group guide, and more.

We have 10 copies of A Friend of the Family up for grabs to those who want to participate in the live webcast. Just leave a comment here or on our Facebook page to enter. Good luck!

About A Friend of the Family:

A skilled internist with a thriving practice in suburban New Jersey, Pete Dizinoff has a devoted wife, an impressive house, and a son, Alec, on whom he’s pinned all his hopes. But Pete never counted on the wild card: Laura, his best friend’s daughter—ten years older than Alec, irresistibly beautiful, with a past so shocking that it’s never spoken of …

* A Washington Post Best Book of the Year selection
* A New York Times Editors’ Choice
* A Bookpage Best Fiction of the Year selection

“Such an incisive diagnosis of aspirational America that someone should hand out copies at Little League games and ballet recitals . . . Horrifyingly plausible and deeply poignant, A Friend of the Family will leave you shaken and chastened–and grateful for the warning.” –The Washington Post

“Stunning . . . An unqualified success . . . Grodstein’s sentences are finely made and precisely fitted to one another and her story . . . If there’s any justice in the world, A Friend of the Family will be her breakout book . . . She has written a novel that will leave her reader sitting up, sifting the evidence in the dead of night.” –The Boston Globe

“Grodstein, with one previous novel to her credit, has succeeded in shattering the image of suburban happiness. Her perceptive portrayals demonstrate the thinness of the veneer that separates bliss from gloom . . . [The story] is told with great understanding and sensitivity, gripping readers so that they will find the book hard to put down.” –The Chicago Tribune

“Involving at every level: character, plot, language. One of the more complicated portraits of a father’s love for his son we’ve ever read.” —McSweeney’s

“A persuasive indictment of a certain kind of privileged narrow-mindedness . . . in the best tradition of parenting gone catastrophically awry.” –O: The Oprah Magazine

“Grodstein’s harsh, honest prose makes this haunting tale worthwhile.” –People

“Beautifully captures the ever striving angst of parents who will take any step to ensure their children’s lives are easier or better.” –USA Today

“Grodstein’s superb storytelling entices us to keep plunging deeper despite dread of an ominous undertow.” –Providence Journal

Webcast: http://www.algonquinbooksblog.com/bookclub/a-friend-of-the-family-by-lauren-grodstein/#webcast

mae
03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
During the talk, King revealed he's working on a new story at the moment (novel?), which for him started out as just an image of a boy in a wheelchair flying a kite on a beach.

harrison ryan
03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Missed the live webcast 'cause I was at work. Can't get the video on the site to work. Frustration. :(

sgc1999
03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. same.

Bev Vincent
03-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Michael Thaeckens, online editor, explained that Algonquin uses this format four times a year, having a popular author introduce the work of one less known. "We will have this interview archived on our site in about a week, so that folks who couldn't be here tonight will be able to enjoy and draw from it," explained Thaeckens.

Source: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20120304%2FGJNEWS_01%2F703049860%2F-1%2FFOSNEWS

harrison ryan
03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info, Mr. Vincent!

mae
03-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Bev, do you by any chance have any clue as to what is that story or novel King was describing with the wheelchair-bound boy and a kite? :)

mae
03-04-2012, 01:34 PM
http://exeter.patch.com/articles/stephen-king-speaks-his-mind-in-stratham

Stephen King isn't afraid to speak his mind. The horror meister did that and then some during an appearance in Stratham on Saturday night, offering his thoughts on everyone from Chris Christie to the Weinstein brothers to James Patterson.

King was in town for a talk at the Cooperative Middle School as part of a series organized by Algonquin Books where one author interviews another. King interviewed New Jersey author Lauren Grodstein about her latest book, "A Friend of the Family." The discussion was hosted by Exeter's Water Street Bookstore.

Though most of the night focused on Grodstein, many of the 150 people in the audience were there to see King. And he didn't disappoint, answering a few questions about his own work, cracking jokes, and even offering a few of his opinions on pop culture and current events.

In between talking about Grodstein's book, King got in a few quick jabs at Christie's girth, Patterson's writing ability, and the Weinstein brothers' filmmaking prowess, although he later said he was joking about that last dig.

"I'll be driving home in tinted windows tonight," Grodstein joked after King's Patterson crack.

King also answered a question from a fan who wanted to know how difficult it was for the author to see his books made into movies.

"I don't care," King said, noting that you have to "give yourself over to the process," and allow the filmmaker to run the show. "It's a team sport," he said, and "sometimes there's a good result."

King had the crowd laughing throughout the hour-long chat as he grilled Grodstein on her book.

At one point, he asked Grodstein to describe her thinking behind a particularly racy scene in her book.

"I don't know if I want to talk about it," Grostein said, blushing.

"These people came out on a cold, slushy night – so let's get hot in here," King replied, drawing laughs from the crowd.

The two authors also talked a bit about the writing process, with Grodstein saying she gets up at 5 each morning to write. She said she loves teaching at Rutgers University because it gives her something else to do besides listen to the voices in her head.

"Geez, that's all I do," King cracked. "I guess I'm a bad person."

Bev Vincent
03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
He just says it's an idea--it might never come to anything.

mae
03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
He prefaced it saying he's working on that, so... We'll see. Another Florida novel maybe.

Bev Vincent
03-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Michael Thaeckens writes:

Hi all, The live webcast of the interview is now on the Algonquin website:

http://www.algonquinbooksblog.com/bookclub/a-friend-of-the-family-by-lauren-grodstein/#webcast

Apologies for the volume issues--turn your volume up for the 1st 20 mins. or so, and then you'll need to turn it back down to a normal volume.

herbertwest
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks bev.
If someone can grab the video..

Randall Flagg
03-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks bev.
If someone can grab the video..
"grab" it yourself...

herbertwest
03-08-2012, 02:03 AM
I keep trying since last night, but simply cant manage to do so..
I miss the times when one could just grab the link and therefore the video from the sourcecode, or with softwares.. or, simply by watching the video and finding it in ie's cache.

This one is using a specific streaming protocol (rmtp if i remember well), and cant grab it.. :-(

Roseannebarr
03-08-2012, 03:18 AM
I couldnt get it to work either, but on the other hand, i have no idea what you are talking about. when did i get old. i miss the old days. click on something and it plays. :(

herbertwest
03-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Well, it does play. I just cant manage to save the video on my harddrive...

herbertwest
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM
OK so i found a software that allows me to grab it.
So far, it only gave me the first half, and i should soon be getting the whole video.

If some of you wants it, just send me a PM.