PDA

View Full Version : 221B Baker Street - Sherlock Holmes discussion

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Ok, so we have the Sherlock discussion thread for the modern day tv series (which is excellent, for those who've still yet to check it out), but I've decided to set up a thread for the original Holmes stories. I hate to admit that I've only read a few of these stories, but all I've read have been rather brilliant. I think one thing that appeals to me greatly about the novels is its rather unique narrative, with the use of first person not only giving us a direct insight into Watson's point of view of both Holmes and the world, but also how it makes clear that he's essentially "reporting" these things to the public and that many people read them. That kind of "real world" trick is sometimes difficult to get right, but the few stories I've read so far seem to get it spot on without ruining the narrative or characters.

Holmes fans: any particular favourites? I must admit, The Speckled Band is one I have a soft spot for, partly because it was the first one I read as a kid. There's too many I have to catch up on though, not least of all The Final Problem.

Jean
01-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Bears adore Sherlock Holmes. I can't rank the stories at the moment, because they are among the first books I've read in my life. I don't even remember the first time I read them, or myself Holmes-less. He is one of the formative figures of our cultural context here, something like Russian national hero. We have a wonderful film, too - even the English admitted once (some panel of influential critics, I can look it up I think) that ours is the best (among the foreign versions, of course, they said - but we know the truth).

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Yes, I've watched some of The Hound of the Baskervilles with Vasily Livanov. Very well made, I must say, and I can understand why Livanov received an MBE for his portrayal of Holmes. I quite enjoyed Jeremy Brett's interpretation, but I think my favourite actor to have played the role of Holmes so far may be Benedict Cumberbatch.

I'm still shocked Richard E. Grant has hardly ever played Holmes, bar one obscure tv story from the early 90s, I think. It may just be me, but I genuinely think that man was actually born to play Holmes.

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Also, sorry to double post, but you've made me curious, Jean, when you mentioned that he's something of a national hero over in Russia. Just how big of a Russian icon are we talking? It just fascinates me that Holmes could be as much of a major cultural icon over there, or anywhere, really, as he is arguably in England.

Brice
01-24-2012, 06:07 AM
I can't rate stories or anything like that. It has been many years since I've read them all and I don't want to be unfair to one of them. Jean, Holmes is a national hero here too...if only in my view of the nation. I am perfectly prepared to disregard alternate and dissenting opinions.

And If the film you're referring to is the one I have in my mind it is without exception or comparison the best.

One more thing Jean: Shadows Over Baker Street...short stories...think Lovecraft meets Holmes. :D

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 06:56 AM
I recently bought Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, which includes A Study in Emerald from Shadows Over Baker Street. I shall be looking forward to reading that. But first, I'm gonna start making my way through the Holmes books I just bought, (as well as read some stories of Lovecraft in between) that should keep me occupied until series 3 of Sherlock is on hopefully next year. Have you watched the first two series of that yet, Brice?

And what film are you and bears referring to? You've made me very curious now.

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Just about to go to sleep, but before I do, just gotta comment that bloody hell, those Holmes stories are addictive! Short, but sweet, which appeals to my ridiculously limited attention span greatly. Oh, and multiple paperback volumes are so much more ideal than big fucking hardback (as nice as it is to look at). Will post some thoughts when read a few more stories, the current volume of which I'm reading is The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. However, last time I read Holmes before was The Red Headed League in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, so I've just ordered a nice, convenient paperback copy of that...and every other Holmes volume I don't have in paperback (trust me, it's still much more convenient to read one small volume at work or in bed than a large hardback compilation).

alkanto
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
How many paperback volumes is that? He did have a lot of stories....but all this talk makes me really want to continue reading. Especially after reading The House of Silk....I'll have to see how heavy my leather-bound copy is in my bag tomorrow.

DoctorDodge
01-26-2012, 02:29 AM
There's 5 collections of short stories and 4 novels. In publication order, these are:

A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of Four
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
The Valley of Fear
His Last Bow
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

So quite a few volumes, really. I know what you mean about House of Silk reminding us of how excellent these stories and their characters were, although I will say it has just as much to do with the tv series and its noticeable number of references to many of the original stories that have made me want to enjoy two of my favourite characters in their original context.

mae
01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
A few years ago I bought the three oversized slipcased volumes of The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes. Here's a image of the third volume, containing the novels (can't find an image of the slipcase containing volumes one and two).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WZ6k3-NzL.jpg

Great books!

Stockerlone
02-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Love Sherlock Holmes and have some differend German versions.
My favourit: The Hound of the Baskervilles

Here are some pics.
This is a 10 book edition: Publisher Deutscher Bücherbund/Haffmans
Clothbound, red spine.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4154.JPG

Of cause with the original illustrations from "The Strand Magazine"
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4156.JPG

All Sherlock Holmes shortstorys: Publisher RVG (still wrapped)
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4157.JPG

Hope to see MORE pics from amazing UK / US editions :drool:

DoctorDodge
02-08-2012, 05:16 AM
I'll post pics of my very small collection later.

Currently halfway through Memoirs, and really enjoying it. Difficult to say which cases have been my favourite so far. The Yellow Face was interesting in seeing when Sherlock gets it wrong. The Gloria Scott and The Musgrave Ritual were nice little glimpses into how Holmes became a consulting detective. (The latter I especially liked for the beginning of Watson describing how bored and untidy Holmes gets and casually mentioning Holmes sometimes shooting a wall in frustration. I especially liked that Sherlock very nicely referenced this.)

Lurker
04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
My very small "collection" would be four - I have the two B&N complete in two volumes and my very first Sherlock Holmes:
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/SherlockHolmesA.jpg
and the Franklin Library leather bound one I picked up years ago at a used bookstore for a couple of bucks.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/SherlockHolmes.jpg

And my vote goes for Basil Rathbone...

mae
04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice! I see the pic in my post above died so I fixed it.

DoctorDodge
06-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Ok, due to seeing the god-awful trailer for new CBS show Elementary, I need discussion on good Sherlock Holmes stories. Which I need to get back to reading, after I'm done with 2000AD and Game of Thrones. Oh, and read a lot more Baker Street, which Jennifer got me as a birthday present. Has anyone heard of that? It's a comic series set in an alternate steampunk England, with a punk, Sharon Ford, as a female counterpart to Holmes. I've read very little so far, but what I have read is great, especially due to the gorgeous artwork.

Oh, one more thing: any Holmes fans not seen Sherlock yet?

Jean
06-01-2012, 02:56 AM
bears

DoctorDodge
06-01-2012, 03:01 AM
You're missing out, my friend. I'm not sure what you'd think of the editing/directing etc, but I'm sure you'd find some enjoyment out of it, for the dialogue and for how surprisingly faithful it remains to the spirit of the original stories. It's one of the best versions I've seen on tv or film, I'd say.

"You've got a photograph of me wearing that hat!" "People like the hat." "No they don't, what people?"

Jean
06-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Yes. I would be happy to watch it, but I have a HUGE problem: as soon as I start watching anything, I fall asleep. I don't know what to do. I can't even read.

DoctorDodge
06-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Holy shit, that's actually worrying! Bears not even being able to read? I thought that was one of bears's greatest joys from life! Any idea what's causing it?

Jean
06-01-2012, 03:42 AM
No. I've posted in the Help thread, hope for some feedback of many far wiser than me...

mae
06-07-2012, 03:34 PM
A few years ago I bought the three oversized slipcased volumes of The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes. Here's a image of the third volume, containing the novels (can't find an image of the slipcase containing volumes one and two).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WZ6k3-NzL.jpg

Great books!

Aha! Here's that thing:

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/04110312011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/8460000/8463719.jpg

blunthead
03-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I've read all of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I became interested in him because a friend seemed to realize that I had some sleuthing talent, and might enjoy reading about the greatest sleuth of them all. I was voracious, partly because I hadn't been reading much at all and remembered how I loved to, but mostly because Conan Doyle is a raving genius.